home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. .

I feel bad for nonbelievers :/ especially for their children being brainwashed by their parents devil and evil lifestyle

April 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • martog

Yea, religion isn't brain washing.....

April 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

You have jello for a brain

April 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Epinoia

Atheists simply believe in one less god than you do. Do you believe in Zeus? Apollo? Poseidon? Etc., Etc., etc.?

You have nothing which demonstrably PROVES that there is a god out there. And furthermore, you have nothing that demonstrably PROVES that the god that's out there is the one that you believe in. That's why it is called "belief in god", rather than "knowledge of god". I *KNOW* that 2+2=4. I don't *BELIEVE* that 2+2=4.

April 29, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • GAW

April 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@GAW says:
      "@ Voice of Reason Get out and take a walk and don't waste your life by responding to silly posts and acting like a jerk"

Please do enlighten me on thy holy information you have to share here.

April 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • a reasonable athiest

but 2+2=5*

*for large values of 2

April 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  2. Frank T. Mudd

Humans at this point in our evolution are the equivalent of 3-4 year old babies. You want to know about gods? Come back and ask again in 126,458 years and lets try this again. (stupid people 🙂

April 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • GAW

Not that I entirely disagree with you I have to admit you sound a bit holier than thou there.

April 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  3. Yeah

Seriously atheists have no life this holy Sunday – day of rest.
    Go to church, pray and you live like a king/queen!

April 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • martog

Wow, you're obviously not in church....Pot calling the kettle black me thinks....

April 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  4. Corpus Christi, TX (Body of Christ, TX)

Atheists needs to shut up and should NOT be allowed to open their mouth at all. They should obey our Christian law or LEAVE! Sick and tired of listening to their whining

April 29, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Wow

Easy there. I'm a Christian myself but everyone has a right to express themselves. As cliche as it sounds, that's pretty much the opposite of how Jesus might've responded.

April 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Surfeit

If we didn't have freedom of speech, neither would you.

April 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • bizziel

Very Christian of you. Wonder what your Jesus would think of that comment,(if he ever existed). That's the issue with so many of you. Preach one thing but act a different way. Lame.

April 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • GAW

Unless you are a troll you sound like an extremest. Don't stoop down to the levels of extremists whether they be believer or unbeliever.

April 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Epinoia

"You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say."
      -Metallica – Eye Of The Beholder

April 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • sam stone

"individuality is a great thing. as long as we all do it together" Frank Burns M.A.S.H.

April 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • a reasonable athiest

Most of our laws predate christian mythology. Of course, the United States is relatively new, but just about all of our basic laws existed in previous civilizations long before the common era. Also, if you study earlier mythologies, you will find that christian myths borrow liberally from them.

So, if these laws existed prior to christianity, they cannot be "christian laws." Further, since christian traditions are largely an assemblage of traditions from earlier mythologies, it is doubtful that any tradition perceived as christian is even original.

April 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • **

@a reasonable athiest

heads-up for future postings - it's "atheist"

April 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  5. Frank T. Mudd

could there be anything more selfish than Christianity? No. Just pathetic, get off your moron brain and go and do some good in the world instead of spouting nonsense drivel

April 29, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • LOL

Jews and Muslims..... Go to Israel and any Islamic countries

April 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  6. ormaybeitsjust

All the voices are male. Do you think God has big old hairy balls too?... "woman, why'd you eat that apple?" I like to hope if there was a God IT would transcend gender and it's voice would be unlike any other.... as opposed to this person's dreams of a white woman bashing man.

April 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  7. Epinoia

Exactly! What people often fail to consider is that it is impossible to REcognize the voice of God. Why? Simple. In order to RE+cognize the voice of anyone, you'd have to have FIRST had the chance to correctly associate that voice with the person. So, for example, if I were to hear the voice of my mother all my life, and then she calls me on the phone, I can immediately REcognize her voice. I have heard it all my life, and KNOW that it is her voice. People who hear the 'voice of God' cannot claim to have had any sort of baseline by which to then remember and recognize the voice later. That might be the voice of Satan! It could (and almost certainly IS) just 'hearing voices', and then the person simply ASSUMES that voice to be the voice of God. It's laughable! But, at the same time, quite possibly dangerous. We shouldn't give any sort of social encouragement to these people. We should NEVER tell them that "Yes, you probably were hearing the voice of God!" . They might well hear that voice tell them to take their child up to a mountain top and sacrifice him to God. And then how would you feel for encouraging them?

April 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  8. Nitrogen

Someone please put this woman in an asylum before she hurts herself.

April 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • AGuest9

Nitrogen? With a story like this, why not choose Lithium. 😉

April 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  9. Mark

Fortunately if you are hearing voices in your head they have medication and therapy that can help you with that.

April 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  10. Byrd

Voltaire once said that if god didn't exist it would be necessary to create him. So if you're listening to someone claiming to be god, in all likelihood you're listening to the old wrathful version – and look what an unmitigated mess he made of things.

Stay tuned for further developments.

April 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  11. Skeptical

I had eaten some partly spoiled food. that night I had a dream and GOD spoke to me. I guess that makes me a prophet too!!

April 29, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  12. Wow

I consider myself a Christian and have believed in Christ my entire life, but can say I've never heard God's voice speaking to me. This sounds to me like a speaking in tongues thing, both kind of questionable.

April 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  13. GAW

April 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Go away you self-righteous idiot!

April 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Rob in San Diego

CNN has gotten ridiculous. If you want real new, we need to go the BBC or Russia Today.

April 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • GAW

What's wrong? I'm not aloud to make a valid observation or question people's approaches? You sound like one of those Fundy preachers who doesn't want to be questioned.

April 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@GAW
      "Ahh! The CNN Belief Blog....giving believers and unbelievers alike the ability to act like jerks."

Can't you see the essence of your statement is in itself the mere thing you are demeaning? You are an idiot!

April 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • GAW

Ok just to make your spoiled little self happy I will insert the word 'many' in front of believers and unbelievers. btw Calling me and idiot has proven my point.

April 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

What is your point anyway?

April 29, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  14. Rainer Braendlein

The problem of Christianity is indeed that it comes out of world, which is strange for us: The Kingdom of God.

In John 3 Jesus says that we need to get born by Water and Spirit (rebirth or sacramental baptism), in order to become able to realize God's Kingdom.

Baptism is like a gateway. If you want to watch a beautiful castle from inside, you have to enter it through the gateway, otherwise you will never know, how it looks inside.

The Bible describes us a castle from inside, but if we want really get to know the caste from inside, we need to get born by Water and Spirit.

There is a discrepancy between really watching a castle and watching the guidebook.

April 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • DesertTripper

A few hundred mics of LSD will grant you the same vision...

April 29, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • sam stone

Desert: And when you come down, you will realize it was all just a drug. Rainy here thinks it is real.

April 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  15. Rob in San Diego

We fight religious extremist in foreign countries while doing nothing about here in the US....and now CNN caters to them.

April 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  16. Jonboy

Lady...you crazy.

April 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  17. Voice of Reason

I think natural selection has allowed religion to evolve and survive to strengthen the logic and reason gene.

April 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  18. Jessica/NJ

Christians are being persecuted in America and atheists are trying to take away our freedom and rights 🙁

April 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Sorry kiddo, you have that one backwards!

April 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Wow

April 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • Epinoia

You can't honestly believe that. How many Presidents have been elected who were openly atheists? If atheists had the grip on the country as you say, then you'd expect that it would be difficult if not impossible to get elected as an openly atheist. Yet the reverse is true.

April 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Wow says:
      "Voice, I don't think she does. The tendency in public compared to decades ago is to take God out of the equation. The push is to take God out of all public places and forums, that's clearly the trend in the US."

Did you ever hear of the 1st amendment, moron? The Establishment Clause? That is what our country was founded on. Educate yourselves!

April 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • abcontador

Christians have earned this backlash by continually trying to force everyone into their belief system. I for one, will do anything I can to fight them.

April 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • abcontador

This country was not founded on religion or god - one of the biggest things the founders were fighting against is religious oppresion - get your facts straight

April 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Wow

Voice, why are you so fired up buddy? I'm trying to have a discussion, not fight you over something. I agree that our country was founded that way, but the point I was making was where our country was headed...the anti-Christian trend. Teaching intelligent design in schools is being phased out, putting your hand on the Bible in courts is being moved away from, soon in God we Trust will be off coins I would imagine. Again, not trying to fight just saying I don't see too many instances of more God talk in public places, as it were.

April 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • jma58

Christians are trying to make this country like Iran. Religion is just another form of governing people and when applied to people who do not agree, it becomes oppresive.

April 29, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Wow

It's about time the trend changes. People will not stand for religious intolerance any longer. God has no place in our public schools, courts, currency, etc.. You can have your churches and your private schools but keep it there. BUT pay taxes like everyone else does!

April 29, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • Epinoia

"In God We Trust" has only been on our money for 56 years. It was done primarily as a way to differentiate us from the Soviet Union. It hasn't been on the money for much of our history at all - only about 20-25% of the time the country has existed.

April 29, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • jamesT297

You say that like it is a bad thing.

April 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • God

Yea it must suck to not be able to MURDER gays anymore or HANG blacks or MOLEST children legally, or take BASEBALL BATS to the sides of atheists heads. what a world we live in.

April 29, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • Wow

Well I guess if it turned out that God created the earth and all of us then he would, in fact, belong everywhere.

April 29, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • sam stone

what rights are atheists taking away from you?

April 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  19. There never was a god

for there never has been a voice, i made one up sometimes to fulfill the void, and loneliness that is the human condition. honestly though ive never seen any proof and because of that i have no belief in that which i can not see or has not establish empirical evidence. if jesus came down today or had a personal conversation with me then id line right up but he hasnt, so ill keep on being an athiest.

April 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  20. Freethinker Seeking Reason

@ "In God We Trust"
    Wow, worst/best post yet from this psycho. As an atheist, I find this drivel so detached from reality that the author may as well be from some horrid alternate universe. Many of the smartest people, alive and dead, are/were atheists because it is the obvious truth. As already noted, a truly scary post. Please seek professional psychiatric help before you hurt someone.

As for the original CNN author, sorry, but that wasn't metaphorical enough to digest, and I flatly reject your attempts to co-opt some of our favorite fictional characters such as Spock or Yoda in the name of your delusional religion. You seem to have an active imagination, but realize there is no omnipotent being having a conversation with you.

April 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm |