home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. 1word

Is this article meant to mock God? I'm confused, those people who actually believe in God and does his Will, will hear Gods voice. I've heard it, and it wasn't a still voice it was a Voice with Great Power and Substance. So to those that don't believe, you will find out soon enough. SOON AND VERY SOON WE ARE GOING TO SEE THE KING!

April 29, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • NoTheism

Having a god of your kind, interacting with our reality, is a contradiction.

April 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Let me finish that...

Hallelujah, hallelujah we are going to see the King!

April 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • sam stone

1word: you are blathering.

April 29, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  2. Rallph Smith

What kind of a pathetic,pathologic and absolutely crazy god would invent thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of diseases to harm, wound, incapacitate and torture every kind of plant and animal on this earth? Take the organism plasmodium, which causes malaria. It kills a minimum of 1 million people a year. Fifty per cent are children. They suffer horribly. Thanks for these horridly god-made portals of pain and death. Go god.....rah rah rah , ...torture and kill some more.....Don't forget genetic disorders....they are cool too.....Ask Rick Santorum................

April 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • TheTrueRealityCheck

April 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • JE

Why would he create man? Why would he create earth, flowers, trees, animals, stars, the sun, the moon, the ability to love...?

April 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • 1word

God's ways is above our ways, you can't seem to understand why he does what he does. I for one can't understand why he loves people who hates him but I do know that Mercy is better than Sacrifice. So be gracious God is Merciful to allow you to keep spewing that disease you call a mouth.

April 29, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

You should gradually realize that there are two realms:

– God's realm

– the devils realm

Adam has chosen voluntarily to live under Satan's rule and had to harvest the consequences. All the suffering on earth is a consequence of Adam's fall. We have inherited Adam's fallen nature and like he we don't worship God by nature.

God allows that, because we shall really taste the death, which our grandfather Adam has chosen and which we choose, when we don't accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

April 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • NoTheism

@1word, "God's ways is above our ways" and how do you know this?

April 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • TheTrueRealityCheck

He gives us the power and knowledge to fight these diseases.

April 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Jolt

TheTrueRealityCheck

"Why do you think God is responsible for these things? He doesn't do it; mankind,in their actions and freedom of choice do it."

Man created the malaria parasite? The tapeworm? Thousands of devastatingly harmful bacteria and viruses?

April 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • NoTheism

@Rainer Braendlein, that's just great, I am faulted because god chose to create an idi0t, and make everyone else just like that one. Thank your god for making everything exactly to work out as he knew he would.

April 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • JE

"God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

April 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Jolt

Rainer,

So the "devil" created these tiny harmful beings (germs, parasites, viruses, etc.)? Y'all keep saying that "God" created *everything*.

April 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • 1word

NoTheism

@1word, "God's ways is above our ways" and how do you know this?

Because the Bible says so. How can you comment on anything without having the knowledge to comment? I refuse to argue with someone who lacks the knowledge and understand of Gods word, its like a high school drop out arguing with someone who has a Doctorate and is a Professor at a High Profile University.

April 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Get Real

1word, "...because the Bible says so"....?

The Bible is a book which includes *some* history of primitive Hebrew culture, and *some* good advice for practical, beneficial human behavior, but a great deal of it is a compilation of ancient Middle Eastern historical fiction, myth, legend, superst.ition and fantasy.

There is not a whit of verified evidence for any of the supernatural beings or supernatural events in that book.

April 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  3. Welled

Basically because they think they are smarter and can't believe anyone would fall for a hoax such as believing in religion. I can't believe anyone would fall for a hoax like government and belief in that myself in addtion to religion. But I'll tell you a lot of those guys are real believers in Democracy. Which is all well. I guess 80 million people getting to vote and which ever side tips the bucket over first wins. I don't really see a plurality in 2 sides one side wins. But maybe its just easier to manage. Who knows. Its kind of nonsense when you stop to think about it. Then add to the fact that you only know of about 3 other kinds of governments. Socialism, communism, dictatorship. Yet no one can really invent another one. So thats out. Not to mention the fact your "enemies" the Chinese flood your west coast port with goods every single week. So you can go to work in the service industries. A house takes 3 months to build for most people anyway. You people pay for them for 30 years. I'm sorry I don't consider any of you all that bright. Athiest, Christian, Hindu or Hebrew. Some of you need to sit in a room alone for a long time and think about your life instead of watching TV. You throw you lives away with some really stupid lemming like behavior.

April 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  4. Rob in San Diego

The Belief Blog more stupider than belief. CNN, if you want better ratings try reporting real news. This stuff is pathetic. Oh, that's right your corporate sponsors won't like you to report real news. ...beyond bad....disgraceful CNN

April 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  5. Rainer Braendlein

@JD

Yes, he dwells in the heart of every true Christian, but also in midst of the multi-tude of the believers, that is the Christian Church.

Are you born by Water and Spirit?

April 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  6. God's Oldest Dreamer

Seeing God within another's eyes is how I know God! I use sight as a way to know God who resides in His Buildings which are but our bodies!

1Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.

Knowing God's voice has never been my strong suit! I suppose when I talk to my brother God's voice is in my brother's words! I am in worry whenever my brother does imbibe too much of the wine! There were time's past when I too was an imbiiber, and we acted like two wrestlers wanting to win by physical means rather than spiritual hindsightiveness accords! Since I quit drinking any wine, I deal with brother's drinking ways much better than when we both did drink! Nevertheless, I will not debase my brother his ways! He and I are flesh and blood and the waters of baptism cannot get between one's bloodine especially that of brother and I!

April 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  7. Ed

A bunch of cow dung. All you are hearing is your conscious talking to you nothing more nothing less. No boggyman from above.

April 29, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

conscious,,,,,, eerrrr,,,, don't you mean,,, conscience?

April 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  8. Andrew

This woman is out to lunch... How can anyone be so stupid as to believe in God?!

April 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • JE

April 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • pozin

I am an agnostic but just because you do not believe in God does not mean he does not exist. Calling someone stupid is OK if you can prove there is no such thing. Although I doubt there is a God I hope there is. Quit calling someone who disagrees with you as stupid it actually reflects upon you the same way.

April 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • NoTheism

JE, ever heard of the problem of evil? Clearly not...

April 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

"“In the end what matters is not how good we are but how good God is. Not how much we love Him but how much He loves us. And God loves us whoever we are, whatever we’ve done or failed to do, whatever we believe or can’t.” – Desmond Tutu"

sounds like Stockholm syndrome. doesn't matter how good we are? only that we love God? ew. cult propaganda.

April 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • NoTheism

@Pozin, should I explain to you what the burden of proof is?

April 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • JE

Have you considered reading the Bible? The entire thing is about good v. evil; it's a battle. The good news: good wins.

April 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • JE

Let's see: are you good compared to Mother Teresa? Then, are you good compared to a perfect God who doesn't do anything wrong?

Ergo: what matters is that God loves us and is willing to forgive us.

If a small kids screws up (say hits his sister) and his parents don't forgive him but instead kick him out of the house, how is that love/good news/mercy?

April 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  9. No religion thank you

You may call it "God". I call it intuition and common sense.

April 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • pozin

Maybe that is how God exist is within each of us.

April 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • NoTheism

@pozin and maybe it does not... the point is that there is no good reason to believe that a god actually exists.

April 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  10. JE

The Lord said to Job:

2 “Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
    Let him who accuses God answer him!”

3 Then Job answered the Lord:

4 “I am unworthy —how can I reply to you?
    I put my hand over my mouth.
    5 I spoke once, but I have no answer —
    twice, but I will say no more.”

6 Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm:

7 “Brace yourself like a man;
    I will question you,
    and you shall answer me.

8 “Would you discredit my justice?
    Would you condemn me to justify yourself?
    9 Do you have an arm like God’s,
    and can your voice thunder like his?
    10 Then adorn yourself with glory and splendor,
    and clothe yourself in honor and majesty.
    11 Unleash the fury of your wrath,
    look at all who are proud and bring them low,
    12 look at all who are proud and humble them,
    crush the wicked where they stand.
    13 Bury them all in the dust together;
    shroud their faces in the grave.
    14 Then I myself will admit to you
    that your own right hand can save you.

April 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • NoTheism

the question is not whether your ability to quote stuff is correct; rather, it is about if the source itself is factual. You have not demonstrated the accuracy of your source and I do not take it for granted.

April 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Jolt

What does that prove, JE?

Many of the descendants of the author(s) of "Job" are writing Hollywood screenplays and sci-fi/fantasy stories today.

April 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

@JE

that Job/God dialogue sounds like a bully tyrant telling his slave to kiss his @ss or else.

April 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • JE

There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.' – C.S. Lewis

"We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.”
      ― C.S. Lewis

"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England." – C.S. Lewis

April 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  11. TheTrueRealityCheck

Why do all you agnostics and atheists bother to read the "Belief" page? Are you searching for something? You laugh and scoff because you do not know, but those of us who really know God, have all the proof we need– and we don't need to prove it to you. Even Einstein believed in God. We don't need science to confirm our beliefs, God confirms them for us in ways you cannot fathom or would ever believe. And in spite of your comments about prayer, it does work, but it must come from a heart that believes; it must be sincere and heartfelt. God also gives us free choice–and it is free choice that creates the evil actions in the world. In the end, Hitler was stopped. That man's freedom of choice–not God–caused the deaths and almost let him to conquer the world. However, he was stopped. It was no accident. God does answer prayers. If you really don't believe and really don't want to believe, then stop reading about God and about people who do. However, if you aren't sure, then maybe you can yet hear God's voice.

April 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Andrew

You may want to check with your doctor. It is important to get treated early on when it comes to dementia. Some of the symptoms associated with this illness are: hearing voices others cannot, strong belief in "pie-in-the-sky" notions such as gods or other deities, etc.

April 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

there's so much wrong with what you said.

"Why do all you agnostics and atheists bother to read the "Belief" page?"
      all atheist articles are posted here. belief or lack there of is what the section should be called. this blog is NOT just for christians, so cry more please. go to an all christian blog if you don't want to hear opinions that differ from what you're taught in your christian cult.

"we don't need to prove it to you."
      that sentence should read "we don't need proof and will ignore all contrad.ictory evidence."

"Even Einstein believed in God"
      absolutely false. religious propaganda. they've tried this with Darwin and other non-believer heroes. Einstein did NOT believe in God.

April 29, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

"in spite of your comments about prayer, it does work, but it must come from a heart that believes"
      no, prayer does not work. study after study proves it. if prayer works, how come God never heals amputees? how come it's always the blind or crippled, which is easily faked? how come God never makes a soldier's leg grow back?

"God also gives us free choice–and it is free choice that creates the evil actions in the world"
      wrong. how could we have free choice if we didn't even know the difference between good and evil? it's only after we stole an apple from the tree of knowledge that we got free choice going, something God wanted to prevent.

April 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  12. Welled

Not that anyones better than anyone else. It all mostly rests on a hell where people scream in a burning fire 100000 degrees for the rest of their lives. It never really exsisted in the OT however it was updated to include hell which is probably greek mythology. Greeks who were never really great friends with the Hebrews in the first place. In Greece a lot of people laugh at the Jesus stuff cause they know where it comes from. Not entirely of their mythology. Of course. Look how can I put it if you want to put the people you can snag into relgion working for nothing and being good people you throw a hell in front of them. Anyone else you have to work a little harder at to fool. Hell works great for the upper crust. Because no one wants to screw with them and go to hell. Its simple. Overwhelming firepower as seen on video works for everyone else. Crime don't pay. Unless you own a Bank that has a vote in the Federal Reserve. Then that make you a sophisticated swindler with very complicated schemes. No not like the old work at home stuff some envelopes scams that your told to beware of. You caught onto those long ago. So is their any hope for change reason and sense. No I don't think so.

April 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  13. Rob in San Diego

CNN has reached an all time bad.

April 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  14. Just Me

I believe in God. My opinion, not claiming a fact. Fact is not Truth. If someone believes that God is made up then that's their right. I cannot do nothing about what others believe. I will not talk down or act ignorant who believes different. Calling someone names who believes different will not change them and it doesn't benefit either one of us. When someone claims that God is non-exist there is nothing more I shall to say. Today I believe in God. Today you believe there is no God. The truth is tomorrow is another day.

April 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Copenhagun

You know what? I'm a former believer of 27 or 28 years, give or take a year or so, and I'm now agnostic/atheist. I no longer believe in any worldly religion and I'm 70 to 80% on the side that there probably is no GOD. HOWEVER. If there were one, or if there IS one, then it's NOTHING that a human mind can fathom. That being said, I don't begrudge you of your beliefs either. I like your stance, live and let live.

April 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • NoTheism

but don't you care about whether your opinion is correct or otherwise? If you said that your opinion was the planet was flat, would you not care to be able to justify it? Do you not think that it is bad to hold unfounded opinions?

April 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Jadugara

@ NoTheism.....

Holding unfounded opinions is neither "bad" nor "good"... An opinion is merely an opinion until some sort of action is taken that starts to affect others and oneself...and even then it's not "bad" nor "good" unless the effects are "bad" or "good", which also could be entirely a matter of opinion, point of view, or perspective...

MANY of the opinions people hold, religious or not, are unfounded and unfoundable... Is that piece of art beautiful? Is that person lovable? Do you believe in luck, fate, or coincidence?

Believing in a god, in ghosts, in faeries....all of that fits in to such a category,...and it's all fine and dandy, as long as you don't start behaving poorly toward others and harming them in the name of some unfounded opinion...

As long as you don't hurt anyone,...feel free to believe in any god you choose...

April 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  15. John

If you here voices in your head, its you or a demon. God only speaks through the written word of God. You can hear and know God by reading the bible.

April 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

God speaks at least in a twofold way: through the Bible and through his Spirit, which dwells in the Christian Church. It is only difficult to find a faithful church today. Of course, the Spirit will never tell something, which would contradict the Bible.

April 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • Ting

Okay. So who was talking to the characters in the Bible? Voices in their heads or demons?

April 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • You are wrong

People can and do receive the Holy Spirit– The Advocate , and He speaks to people with words that are beyond our language.

April 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Tom

Ummmm... God's not real. Soooooooo I guess he doesn't speak at all?

April 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • JD

Rainer, God does not live in a church building. He lives in our hearts if we ask him to.

April 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

@JD

Yes, he dwells in the heart of every true Christian, but also in the midst of the multi-tude of the believers, that is the Christian Church.

Are you born by Water and Spirit?

Do you know that baptism is a divine call for discipleship?

April 29, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • bizziel

Lol, even all you find nuts Christians can't agree on where the "voice" of your non existent god comes from! What a f•ckn joke! Haha

April 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  16. Rainer Braendlein

It is possible to hear the voice of God in the true Christian Church still today.

Up to around Pentecost dwelled in the Temple of Jerusalem. Today and since Pentecost the Christian Church is God's Temple.

It is only hard to find a church, which is faithfull to her Lord and where the Spirit is still present.

I myself am seeking desperately.

For a period of time the Protestant Churches belonged to the true Christian Church, but they have turned apostate, because they ordain gays pastors. They are no longer God's Temple, but a dwelling of demons.

The Catholic Church is no Christian Church, because she keeps papacy, which is an abomination in God's sight.

Yet, in a reformed Protestant Church it could really happen that the Spirit speaks to you. Not audible, but to your conscience. It could happen that he would reveal to you certain sins and would show you that you need a redeemer.

It is a pity that the Church has entered such a state of crisis and it has become difficult to find God's presence on earth.

We need a pious ruler, which chases away all the heretics, liars, false prophets, wolves in sheep's clothing, which abuse their ecclesiastical office, in order to gain power, honor and riches and which are not concerned about the soul's health of the church members.

Nothing is more urgent than a new reformation of the churches.

April 29, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • Jadugara

You're still seeking desperately, huh?

Yeah,...I bet you are...

You certainly SOUND desperate...

Maybe you should seek some psychiatric help instead...?

April 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • a reasonable athiest

Your "need" sounds pretty scary to me. The first thing the tyrant does is to "chase away" those who would voice disagreement with his/her policies.

If god's voice is so perfect, would the heretics, false prophets, etc.. not be exposed by its own virtue? Why do you need a human "pious ruler" to tell you what is of god or not? You say the papacy is an abomination, but it sounds like you are yearning for a pope yourself...

April 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  17. Hixanthrope

Wow, I knew times were tough at CNN, but they have resorted to giving this quack a megaphone?

April 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  18. beatrice

After reading many of these blogs, is it a wonder that the judgement of God is coming uppon this faithless perverse generation?

April 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • sybaris

After reading many of these blogs, is it a wonder that the judgement of others is coming from perverted practi-tioners of religion?

April 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • Delphi

beatrice,

Yes, Zeus is on a rampage all right... 'cuz nobody is believing in him these days. All Hail, Zeus!

April 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • a reasonable athiest

@ Delphi

heretic! Io Saturnalia!

April 29, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  19. EnjaySea

I have never heard the voice of a deity, audibly, inaudibly, through the written word, or by any other means.

Well, that is unless you count the presense of someone that I sense during sleep paralysis, but that's a known hallucination that happens during a stage of sleep, with a rational explanation.

I find no need to make believe that because it's "weird", therefore it must be supernatural. My mind doesn't work that way.

April 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  20. Mavent

martog, you clearly don't get laid much. The iron is that you're exactly the same as any religious extremist I've ever met. You want to use the word "god" to prove that you're superior to other people.

April 29, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • martog

Man, you are not right. You wanna question whether or not I get laid to prove your religion? Wanna call me somemore names now too? I'm sure that's just what jesus would do...right?....right? What's a matter Mavent, all those facts and big words I used in my other posts hurting your head? Oh, that's right, you didn't read them, or couldn't understand them. Maybe it's you that gets laid too much. Cause I sure hope you haven't spawned....

April 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm |