home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Margaret

I don't know what God sounds like, but I do know that if He/She says take a knife and cut your baby's heart out, it is definitely not God.

April 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Abinadi

We all remember the cartoon characters who had an angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other. I believe that is a true principle. I believe we do hear suggestions from the other side from the good realm and from the bad and then we act on those suggestions. No, God won't tell us to pick up a knife and kill someone, but the devil will. God is always positive and tells us to love our neighbor and do kind acts. Those who use God to do acts of terrorism are really following Satan!

April 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

1Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.

April 29, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  2. rochdoc

CNN may hang in as a mouth piece for libs now that Newsweek has camled down a bit because nobody was reading that antiChristian magazine. May be they should remember they made blood money out of iraq war. But as for real journalism, they should focus on important issues than rallying for liberal ideology only,
    Try reading the piece in NY times about Apple Inc sidestepping taxes and wonder how CNN can do real job as journalists instead of working for corporations and liberal ideology. You create division and anger inside USA, all along hiding the reality about how regular citizens get taken advantage both by politicians and the rich (ofcourse one and teh same)..

April 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  3. Welled

I think the subconcious is good if your a child. I don't think an adult should give it all that much consideration except for sleep. Otherwise he should be more of a man and deal with reality instead of entertaining himself or going on space expeditions with his mind. Its not healthy.

April 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  4. Roger

The Bible says to build your house upon a rock, not upon sand. How utterly ironic, then, that people cite faith as their reason for believing in God. There is no "rock" in faith. It is no more a foundation for belief in God than sand is a foundation for a house.

April 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  5. Ben

I think its very nice that this lady took time to tell us about how she hears God, and I think a lot of these people here who are writing should stop posting comments. If you don't like an article, don't read it, you don't have to hurt others to make yourself feel powerful or smart.

April 29, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • joe

The lady is a bone head

April 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

"If you don't like an article, don't read it,"

How the heck are you going to know if you like it or not if you do not read it? Hello? Anyone there?

April 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • Serious

Ben is clearly retarded. I'm serious.

April 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  6. Rob in San Diego

Rally up the religious for better ratings while real news doesn't get reported. CNN has reached an all time low.

April 29, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  7. Rallph Smith

I guess Christians would agree that the author of this article should follow Paul's epistle. 1Corinthians 14:34-35 "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home, for it is a shame for a woman to speak in church........I guess she hasn't learned anything.. Women are chattel in the Bible and there is surely nothing bad said about slavery or child abuse.............What a collection of mumbo jumbo.

April 29, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Margaret

That quote from the Bible has caused women more grief over the last 2000 years.

April 29, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Abinadi

That was probably good advice in Roman times, but is no longer applicable in our time.

April 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  8. Martin

author is just plain nuts, what a pile of dribble

April 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  9. phneutral

So she makes a living at this? Might have a credibility problem.

April 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  10. Welled

Answer is simple don't live in the forest or near water. The earth keeps a lot of people healthy on a daily basis. It's not the floride in your water that does. Trees are a dumb place to live food dosen't for the most part grow there. Water isn't all that bright either. Water is not supposed to damn that up because where you are supposed to live is downstream where everything gets carried that makes you very healthy. So don't live near water. Dig a well dugan.

April 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  11. MashaSobaka

A friend of mine recently had a psychotic break and ran around on the streets naked because she'd heard the voice of God. I never did ask her what the voice sounded like. I was too busy worrying about how she was doing in the psychiatric ward.

April 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  12. bluemax77

Sound’s like a fake...

April 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  13. Mopery

Is there any reasonable way to distinguish schizophrenics who hear voices in their head from religious zealots who hear voices in their head? It seems to me that in both cases the person should be considered mentally ill, as there is no difference in their experience except maybe for the supposed source of the voices.

April 29, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • MashaSobaka

I have a lot of voices in my head. It's called being a part-time writer. Please don't throw me in the psych ward.

April 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  14. K. Mapson

There is a theological theory called Pandeism, first named by German philosophers over two centuries ago, which is the belief that our Creator (which humans conventially package as 'God' despite certain baggage associated with that name) in fact essentially 'became' the Creation. Our Creator, Pandeism contends, is so great that it even underlies and holds together every subatomic of our Universe, all the time, and so that we are 'within' our Creator, unknowing fragments of its inestimably greater whole. Under the theory of Pandeism, we hear the voice of God in so many different people and things because all of them are indeed part of our Creator!! Leonard Nimoy and James Earl Jones and yes, even Pee Wee Herman and Jeff Bridges and Yoda and our mother are indeed our Creator!!

April 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

sounds more or less like Deism.

April 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Jadugara

I like that! I think that's a cool concept!

It feels "right"...

April 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Train

Along that track, everything must be the voice of the creator. So when some thug tells you to f-off, thank you god. So that means god is a jerk a lot of the time.Right in line with the Christian one...

April 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • Roger

How can you have a theological theory? A theory requires actual supportive evidence, and theology, by its very definition rejects evidence. It's all "based" on faith, which is like trying to stand on jello.

April 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • johnfrichardson

Are you sure of the term" Sounds like pantheism.

April 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • K. Mapson

To Bootyfunk who finds that this "sounds more or less like Deism" and to johnfrichardson who suggests, "Sounds like pantheism," yes to both of you Pandeism is pantheistic Deism, combining the idea in Pantheism of idea of all things being 'God' with the the idea in Deism that our Creator set forth a self-operating Universe, and need not actively intervene in its operations - which both things are true in Pandeism; all things are within a Creator which set forth our Universe by becoming it, and which allows it to unfold as it will, simply experiencing all of existence without choosing outcomes.

To Train, we are unaware of our status as fragmentations of our Creator; the vulgar thug doesn't appreciate either that he is within his Creator when he speaks offensively, nor does he appreciate that whoever he directs his scorn against is equally a part of his Creator. To Roger, I think you unnecessarily conflate 'theory' with 'hypothesis' there; theory being a general term not owned by any field of endeavor. Great comments, thank you all (and thank you especially Jadugara)!!

April 29, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  15. Vote Early, Vote Often!

Quick vote! Is this indeed the absolute dumbest, worst article ever to putrify the Belief Blog?

I vote yes.

April 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • NoTheism

Good point. I think they just wanted to reconnect with Christians, so they published this joke.

April 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  16. Emilio Dumphuque

How do you know it's not an alien talking to you by some alien technology? Oh, wait, there's not really any difference!

April 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  17. Johnny

Karen,

I am happy you were able to admit that you have a serious mental illness. Please seek out help, you don't have to live like this. There are a lot of treatment options for hearing voices. You can have a normal life again.

Johnny

April 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  18. bobcat2u

Did you notice the picture of Pee Wee Herman. I'm sure when god spoke to him, he said, Pee Wee, Quit plaing with your Pee Pee in the movie theater.

April 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  19. esparmc

Sad thing is these people are considered perfectly sane. If someone else hears voices that are not god, people think they are nuts. goes to show you how freaking crazy religious people are.

April 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • JE

So the question is: do you vote for them, work for them, live near them, associate with them?

Why?

Why would you associate with insane people?

Obama believes in God. Colin Powell believes in God. The list goes on and on and on....

Somehow people who don't believe in God are able to ignore this very obvious fact.

April 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Pheadrus

For Pete's sake, CNN. While you're at it, why not publish the manifestos of Breivik, Kaczinski, Manson, et.al. As long as you (CNN) insist on giving schizophrenics space that could be used for legitimate, worthwhile news ( I know, but I can dream), you might as well go with the big guys...

April 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm |