home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. flopflipper

Author must be younger than 40, cause she left out George Burns. Anyone of a certain age would remember that God is definitely George Burns.

April 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • Loki

Yeah, and they left out Alanis Morissette too?

April 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • fred

And you left out me too; my dog thinks I'm god. Sometimes my wife has a different opinion, though.

April 29, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  2. Kebos

I agree with CNN's suggestion from the picture at the beginning of this "article". god most certainly would sound like Pee-Wee Herman. god already acts like him. :^)

April 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  3. Atheistic reality is healthy for children and all living things

Prayer works
    ..as much as
    crossing your fingers
    wishing on a star
    and blowing out candles
    ... Proven

April 29, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • jamesT297

It also works as well as blowing in the wind. Or blowing any other time too.

April 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  4. Welled

Those people In Iraq sure believe this is a Christian country. They muse how anyone could be so ignorant as to invade someone that was sitting there doing nothing. Guy you got so far to go on that little route your on you got no idea.

April 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  5. ImLook'nUp

If the voice of God guides you in the life you're living, consider it a blessing beyond all measure!

April 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Kebos

I would instead consider it a curse.

April 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • GodPot

If you are hearing voices in your head I recommend seeking professional help.

April 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • fred

ILU, it's just that no one has ever received that blessing.

April 29, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • ImLook'nUp

@GodPot
      Thanks. I do talk to Professionals on a regular basis. We are all truely in awe of God!

April 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  6. Muhammed = FAKE PROPHET

The jews are not "god's chosen people". Christians are spiritual israel and are god's only chosen. The bible is crystal clear on that. The old covenent is over. The people of israel rejected god and his messiah. The temple is destroyed, the priesthood is over. I don't know why so many deluded christians do not understand this. God has one plan for his people, not two. Jews are as far from god as hindus, muslims, buddists or any other religion.

April 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • johnfrichardson

Yep, as fake as all the rest of them.

April 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Kebos

@Muhammed= ...... Spoken like a true Christian. :^) Only those that belong to your club, have it right.

April 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • jamesT297

Why did god get it so wrong the first time and have to write an addendum to his first collection of stories?

April 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • Name*Chedar

Just to correct you sir, Buddhist don't believe in a God almighty. You may not want to lump them together when you talk about religions. You can practice Buddhism as religion or as a a philosophy to guide you into none violence but understanding and ultimately enlightenment.

April 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • fred

MEFP, circular reasoning is circular. The bible says because the bible says... got it yet???

And beware the man of one book...

April 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  7. Welled

Follow no one. Believe in no one but yourself. Never ever believe anyone else. It's a mans duty to be wary. Believe the facts as you are sure they are fact. A man has to be sure. Working for someone else or any dependance is anthema. For me anyway.

April 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  8. jamesT297

What have you ever done with your life?

April 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  9. IN GOD WE TRUST

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:....

† Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet Atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are Atheists/Agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

PS! the USA is a Christian nation and will always be.

April 29, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Wong on all points, as usual, but especially the last one.

April 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • bizziel

Your the one who is blind an intolerant. Did you even read your own post? There is no god. Deal with it.

April 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • IN GOD WE TRUST

You will end up in hell

April 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Pheadrus

As an atheist, I can only pity you. A mind is a terrible thing to waste...

April 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • Seriously?

So first you say that believers must pray for the Atheists, and hope that they are cured. Then you threaten them with hell. Not only are you being hypocritical, but condemning one to hell is very un-Christian of you, your bible says it is not for you to judge other in that manner, but to leave judgement to god. So now you have sinned against your own god in his name. That is breaking one of the Ten Commandments. See how silly you're being?

April 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Observer

Cut and paste ignorance by someone afraid to back it up.

April 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • tallulah13

@"In God We Trust"

Either you are operating from a point of complete ignorance or you are a liar. Neither option is very compelling. I suspect that you are simply a judgmental person who hates anyone who doesn't believe the same things you do, You are obviously willing to lie in an effort to create hatred toward anyone who doesn't believe the same things you do. You are the sort of christian that drives good people out of churches.

April 29, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • Observer

Apparently Christianity makes you agree with Hitler who was a Catholic who believed in God.

April 29, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • Mike Gunnoe

I can partially agree with your first statement, atheism is as untenable as fundamentalism, neither can be proven. I would suggest that stupid, ignorant and blind are words that actually describe the rest of your post.
      The god that man has constructed is certainly just that, a construct to attempt to explain the explainable.
      Any attempt to understand where this all came from is futile. We are in the end forced to say,"I don't know".
      Agnosticism is really the only position a rational person can take.

April 29, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Andrew

LOL...trolling???

April 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  10. Welled

I'm suprised that gave it this much Ted Turner ain't much on religion.

April 29, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  11. Pheadrus

For Pete's sake, CNN. While you're at it, why not publish the manifestos of Breivik, Kaczinski, Manson, et.al. As long as you (CNN) insist on giving schizophrenics space which could be used for legitimate, worthwhile news ( I know, but I can dream), you might as well go with the big guys...

April 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  12. Mark

Umm...why aren't more people discussing the header image to this article????????????

April 29, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Vallee Grrl

Because its even more pathetic than the article. Duh.

April 29, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Mark

Dath Vader = Father, Pee Wee = Son, Spock = Holy Ghost

April 29, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • Mark

haha whoops "Darth"

April 29, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  13. Welled

Your not supposed to be spiritual. Your not supposed to live in outer space. You live on the earth. I actually love the earth. Christians aren't supposed to like it. Because its a bad place that keeps you healthy every dang day feeds you. Provides all kinds of things you have absoulutly no understanding of because you think it inanimate. Therefore can be dug up and well I'll give you an example drilled for oil: Iran is one of the most seismically active countries in the world, being crossed by several major fault lines that cover at least 90% of the country. As a result .... You aren't to bright once again. See. Everyone thinks everything on the earth is fair game. It ain't. So if you want outer space. Gods vengence on this place because you were not smart enough to figure out that the bible had some really slick well heeled publishers that put that book out to pacify you so you will wait till the end. Meantime give them no trouble and work for less. Or get cut to pieces in some war because well they are all good wars. Cause God is in charge. Be my guest. Or you could grow up act like a man. Especially in regards to women and getting your own.

April 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  14. James

What do you mean, "Yoda, also of Star Trek"? Did he make a cameo?

April 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • Treckie

He was hiding the whole time. His job was to make the door sounds and some beeping noises as well.
      Didn't you know that? I thought it was general knowledge!

April 29, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  15. J

The problem is that atheists are so proud to be atheists that it does not seem to occur to them to wonder at the ramifications if they are wrong.

Seeing is believing apparently; so, if they can't see something (yet) it doesn't exist.

This does not make a whole lot of sense. No one knew that the earth was round...until it was discovered that the earth wsa round. No one knew that DNA existed...until it was discovered that DNA existed.

The Bible says that God will be found by those who seek Him. Ergo: if you aren't seeking Him, He isn't necessarily revealing Himself. Free will. However, at some point, He is going to make Himself known.

April 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Chuckles

Sorry bud, it doesn't work like that, nor do you understand what Atheism truly entails. First and foremost, I allow the possibility of god existing, If I'm wrong and you can prove beyond a doubt god exists, I'll believe it.

You also, like so so so many before you, have committed the pascals wager problem. Namely, what if we're wrong? what if you're wrong? What if zeus is real? Odin? Ra? some god we haven't even discovered yet? To say that atheists are the ones in trouble because we might be wrong is ignoring your own perilous choice of choosing the wrong one. In my situation, if there is an almighty who controls an afterlife and I go up and say "I used my brain and came to this conclusion, thus I didn't worship anyone" vs. you who would go up to say, Hades and say "I was told by my mom/dad/pastor/etc... that the god of abraham was real and I didn't think to try and refute it" which one would get the more severe punishment?

April 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • J

Incorrect. I am trying to work out my faith. I have pondered the ramifications if God doesn't exist.

However, I have seen God's hand in my life and in the lives of others.

It's too miraculous to be chance.

April 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • Serious

So you saw God's hand? How many fingers did he have on that hand and which hand was it? I'm serious.

April 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Jay

The difference inbetween those things and god is whole groups of people were indoctrinated and brainwashed to believe those things. God has had centuries to prove he is real and he hasn't. In fact the opposite is quite true, the more science discover the more evidence points to no god. You can fight it all you want but that doesn't change the fact that god is occupying less and less gaps in human knowledge. Even if god was real I wouldn't worship such a mean and hateful being.

April 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • n8263

The hand of which god did you see? How do you know which one it was?

April 29, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

J, you don't know a damned thing about atheists. Nothing at all.

April 29, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • Ting

"The Bible says that".....

Greeeeeeeate, more Bible quotes. That proves everything.

April 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • AGuest9

So, you are taking Pascal's Wager. Just for a moment, suppose that your god, who is alleged to throw temper tantrums, actually exists. If you are believing in your vengeful god for this very reason, what do you think YOUR chances are of being thrown into that "lake of fire"? It sounds like by many accounts that it will be much better than Pascal's 50%. So, in the EXTREMELY slim chance that you would be right about this god of your's, you will end up with the same fate as a non-believer. Do you still feel so smug?

April 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • Pheadrus

"The problem with atheists...."

Wish I had a dime for each time I've heard that opening. The religious seem to swallow the single idea that atheists reject the premise that "gods exist" (yes, plural... all gods) and immediately set about developing conclusions based on that single idea. These conclusions are seldom based on fact, or study, or even conversation (heaven forbid) with an atheist... they are based, like their religion itself, on what they prefer to *believe* about someone who doesn't accept their "'god". Hence we get "The problem with atheists...." stuff, and all the other god-bothering sheep line up behind the idiot making the false assumptions. Because that is what sheep do...

There are no problems with atheists outside the apparent misery it causes in the minds of those who prefer the insanity of religion. And before any of you religious folks out there say that atheists are a problem because we speak out against religion and mock those who believe I suggest you look in a mirror. That face looking back would, I daresay, would likely have no problem subjecting atheists to inquisition-style torture in the name of your 'god'. Don't deny it... there are plenty of Bible quotes that would justify it, both in the old and new Testaments and, gee... we *are* atheists after all....

April 29, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  16. Just food for thought

I like debating and i see that so far this has been a one-sided debate on the comments. I just wanted to throw some things out there to living it up, and no it's not like I'm picking a side, sometimes in a debate you must argue for things that you are not for.
    Please don't respond with insulting comments, we humans are better than that, with that being said...

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind am able to recognized, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views." Albert Einstein

Einstein interpreted the position of man toward God as a child entering a large library filled with books of many languages. The child can't understand them, don't know how they got there, nor does he/she does know the languages, but suspects they are mysteriously arranged in a order, but doesn't know what it is. Although Albert did not believe in a personal God such has a theist, he did believed that the universe and its amazing design demands the existence of a creator of God however impersonal. So why not personal, like many religions believe? He sited: "because of the violence and bad in the world."

So, a theist can get the backing of a great thinker and mind such as Einstein that the universe has to have a God. The question is how can they make it into a personal one? Here is mine best interpretation of how this is possible:

In order to move from Einstein's version of a God toward that of a theist i.e. a personal God. We must look at how morality exist and what a personal God would want for its creations. Morality can only exist if there is a good and bad. How can you have morality to do good, if you can't do bad? In simpler terms, how can you choose between road A and B if road A is the only choice available. This therefore gives us a reason for the "bad" existence, has a tool in order for us to have a morality. The existence of a morality is widely accepted, therefore by using its existence, we can explain why a all powerful being, a creator of the universe as Einstein would say, would allow such cruelty into the world. Now we must look into why a "God" would want its creations to have a morality.

If you were creating a being, lets say a robot. Would you want it to only do as programmed or be able to compute, think, reason, and then choose the best path for growth? This answer is already answered in life today, think why exactly are humans so interested in creating a robot with artificial intelligence, or to be like us in the closet way possible. This is how we can take Einstein impersonal god and make it a personal God. A designer, who wants to make the best possible creation like itself. The algorithm being morality, and the tools used to create a morality are cruelty and "bad" things in opposition to the good things. Sometimes the "robot" computes wrongs and chooses the bad thing has oppose to the good and vise versa. However, with each choice it learns and grows, that being what the designer intended for in the first place.

Before the comments, I know this is really stretching it, but I hate seeing only one-side being rational and not the other. There are a few not so logical things with this, but that can be found with almost everything. So just feel free to respond.. Just don't act like a fool.

April 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • Chuckles

Two things,

1) Keep in mind that Einstein was a deist... when he spoke of god, he wasn't talking about the god of the bible, or zeus, or odin, etc..., he just pointed out that In his opinion (without any evidence to support it) that the universe had to have been created by something that we don't comprehend. It's in this that believers take Einstein and quote him as if he supports specifically the jewsih god, which is disingenuous

2) When I create a robot I have a very specific purpose. If the robot were to do something I did not program it for, I would call that a malfunction and reprogram it until it did the intended purpose right. I see no point in creating a robot to "live" in any sense of the word .... because they will rise up and destroy us, obviously.

April 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • jamesT297

Einstein should have stayed with physics and left metaphysics to the experts.

April 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Just food for thought

1) Yes, I intended to use Einstein has a deist and not a follower of one of the top top three monotheistic religions, I may have not fully pointed that out, being that Einstein was against any idea of a personal god, which one would have to be in support of to believe most if not all religions.

2) LOL, I fear we may very well one day make a robot overlord if we continue in our attempt to make a superior thinking ability, as that in artificial intelligence.

April 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Serious

Just poop for thought, you think we need to worry about what Einstein thought about your god? LOL

No, that's not why we respect Einstein. He was a physicist, not a priest or rabbi. I couldn't care less what the hell he thought about your "god". What he thought was irrelevant. Why you think it should matter is beyond me.
      Did you think atheists worship Einstein? I've seen some idiots around here trying so hard to prove that some scientist was a religious believer as if they couldn't tell the difference between a scientist and a priest.
      I've seen dipshts try to say all kinds of stuff about Darwin, as if anyone gives a rat's ass what Darwin thought about anything besides evolutionary theory!

You can take your silly post and shove it sideways up your ass. And fck Einstein. He was just a guy, not a super-being.

April 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  17. Welled

Once again the Christian and Muslim religions are both spin offs of the Hebrew religion. That leaves both the Christian and Muslim baffled when they collide. Hebrew is simply a history in many respects with a lot of embelishment added when it got to press. I'll say it again there are about 9 different Semetic peoples. Why thats never told. Well you can guess. See its just not advertised or taught. There is a purpose to that of course. Wikipedia has a thing on semites now. Its about half way correct. So if your anti-semetic. Your not anti-Hebrew. Because once again there are 9 seperate semetic people outside of the Hebrews. See. Pays to pay attention. Now you take that into they all have their little religions that might be dissimilar. Herods temple say for instance. Hes not Hebrew. So who's temple are you rebuilding? See.

April 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  18. Chuckles

Does anyone else see the irony in a woman saying how she banned television in her household and yet goes on to say that god sounds a lot like beloved movie/TV characters?

April 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Simply a nutzo!

April 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  19. I Believe!!!

The deaf man cannot hear because he is deaf;
    The atheist cannot hear God because he is spritually deaf.

April 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Chuckles

precious, so if we're deaf, does that make the believer blind to common sense? In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.....

April 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • I Believe!!!

It is Common sense to believe in God!

April 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Chuckles

um.... no, it's actually lack of common sense that leads you to believe in god. but nice try though.

April 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Pippa

Chuckie is the epitome of Psalm 14:1 characterization.

April 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Get Real

Pippa, Psalm 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

A quite old and sometimes effective tactic – declaring that those who do not believe your story are 'fools'. Nobody wants to be considered 'dumb' for not seeing the Emperor's new clothes, or a 'bas.tard' for not seeing the Sultan's new turban, or a 'cuckold' for not being able to see the Miller's gold thumb.

Even Joseph Smith used it when he gathered his 'witnesses' to his golden plates. He told them that only those with 'true faith' would be able to 'see' them.

The ancient, primitive Hebrews who originated those Bible stories were quite adept at manipulative mind-games.

April 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Chuckles

Duh, you're goofy book said that a person who doesn't believe in god is a fool..... so that must make me a fool even though you're the one who believes that an invisible omnipresent, omnipotent and omnibenevloent god exists, did everything he said he did in the bible even though the genesis story makes no logical sense (for starters)..... yeah you're right.....(where is that sarcasm font when you need it?)

April 29, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Speaking of pride.

April 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • tallulah13

Oh, Pippa, that's just silly. Of course the bible says that only fools don't believe in the god the bible is promoting. That's how propaganda works.

April 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  20. Bootyfunk

God's voice sounds most like:

1) Montgomery Burns from the Simpsons
    2) The Emperor from Star Wars
    3) Gargamel from the Smurfs
    4) Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs

please choose only one.

April 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Serious

None of the above.
      He sounded like Lionel Ritchie and sang "Is it me your looking for?" or maybe that was the radio. I can't remember, it was so long ago.

April 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • johnfrichardson

5) Charlie Brown's teacher!!!!!

April 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm |