home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. William Ricard

What does god sound like to me? Did you ever yell into an empty 55 gallon drum? You only hear your own voice yelling in the darkness, because that's all that is there.

April 29, 2012 at 5:51 am |
    • Bootyfunk

lol.

April 29, 2012 at 5:54 am |
    • huh

if god was in my head ; i would tell him to get the hell out lol .... of course if you hear voices ..... its not the g-d to begin with

April 29, 2012 at 5:59 am |
  2. Greg Costas

If the voice in your head is telling you that Yoda is from Star Trek, that's not god.

April 29, 2012 at 5:48 am |
    • goodness

Every time i think to do the right thing like when the bank teller accidentily gave me an extra twenty bucks and i returned it god speaks to me. Or when i hold the door for someone or help someone i know he speaks to me . kindness and goodness is his message. So maybe not a real voice but his spirit lives in me and makes me a better person . For all you non believers i can not understand how even if you have doubts, why would you not just hope that there is something after death? To hopefully see all your loved ones and have eternal life. Is that not even worth a chance . Even still though, god loves you aethiests and will forgive you because he is loving and all that is good. He is greatness and through him you can attain all that is good. I just hope on your dying death bed you do not regret your actions because god does not want to force anyone to believe. God bless you all

April 29, 2012 at 7:11 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

I'm an atheist so I doubt that, if there is a God, he loves me. I'd be pretty sure though that he could, at the very least, be able to spell the word atheist and use correct capitalization and punctuation.

April 30, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  3. WWJD

Jesus speaks to everyone. Only some take the path of the narrow and listen to His words and stay on HIS path

April 29, 2012 at 5:48 am |
    • Bootyfunk

i prefer Dr. Seuss. much better advice and ethics.

April 29, 2012 at 5:53 am |
    • Chowski

Jesus is Santa Claus for emotionally needy adults.

April 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  4. Bootyfunk

i'm pretty sure this is what God sounds like:

April 29, 2012 at 5:47 am |
    • huh

April 29, 2012 at 5:54 am |
    • huh

lol

April 29, 2012 at 5:56 am |
  5. Moonbogg

This god business is a joke.

April 29, 2012 at 5:44 am |
    • from God's breakfast table

yeah, it's a joke, but funny and entertaining when it's presented like this delusional woman did. I like fairy tales.

April 29, 2012 at 9:09 am |
  6. Crichwich

I don't care if your religious or atheist we can all agree the Yoda is NOT from Star Trek!
    "Yoda, also of “Star Trek,” is the voice of God for Zen-seeking,"

April 29, 2012 at 5:43 am |
  7. TheBossSaid

Very few people have ever lived who have heard God's voice. A large crowd once heard it but Jesus said that it wasn't for his benefit but theirs. It is extremely rare for God to speak to mankind. Even if He did, most people would not believe it was from Him.

April 29, 2012 at 5:41 am |
    • Bootyfunk

i know a homeless guy that says he hears god's voice all the time. i'm trying to get him some help.

April 29, 2012 at 5:43 am |
    • Leif

I think you would be hard-pressed to prove that anyone has ever heard the voice of God.

April 29, 2012 at 5:47 am |
  8. Bootyfunk

when you read the bible, use sponge bob square pants' voice when you read God's parts. it'll probably make the baby killing and mass genocide sound funny.

April 29, 2012 at 5:39 am |
  9. Name*Chedar

I wonder if God sound like the talking snake in the bible claim. That will be scary. Imagine you are under the apple tree resting when a snake comes around and start talking " hey take a bite in one of those apple and you will see what I see".

April 29, 2012 at 5:34 am |
    • Hwy 9

Ssssay...

April 29, 2012 at 5:35 am |
  10. EuphoriCrest

There are many medications available today that will be of great help to you, although there is no cure. I would ask your doctor about Thorazine or perhaps Haldol.

April 29, 2012 at 5:32 am |
  11. Bootyfunk

I have a better question:

What does the Flying Spaghetti Monster sound like?

All hail the FSM!

Ramen.

April 29, 2012 at 5:32 am |
    • lolzz

And then on the 8th day, the day of the all-you-can-eat special at East Side Marios, he said 'let there be spaghetti', and the spaghetti monster ™ was born. Omm nom nom!

April 29, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

lolzz

That is heresy. True believers know that The FSM's Noodly Appendages created the universe as a drunken accident. If you acknowledge your heresy and seek forgiveness, you may still be able to sup from His Beer Volcano.

Ramen

April 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  12. Hwy 9

OK, I confess. I think, I'm not sure, but I think I once heard the voice of God say to me, "Don't worry. I'll take care of you," when I was scared while driving through a gorge in Denali State Park in the 80's. Now, it could have been God, OR it could have been me being scared to death and praying like a mad man as I crossed a narrow bridge in the driving rain and blistering wind. Whatever it was, it comforted me. ONCE. I've prayed many, many times before and after, and none of those prayers apparently warranted a response.

April 29, 2012 at 5:32 am |

is
    a
    story.

CNN = Fail at journalism

April 29, 2012 at 5:27 am |
    • Peggy

It isn't a story, it 's an opinion piece.

April 29, 2012 at 7:33 am |
    • lolzz

It's a trap!

April 29, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  15. WWJD

Jesus is the only answer.

April 29, 2012 at 5:27 am |
    • bluemax77

To what...?

April 29, 2012 at 5:29 am |
    • Bootyfunk

jesus was a crazy, iron-age cult leader. nothing more.

April 29, 2012 at 5:30 am |
    • halfbakedlunatic

Only if the question is "who is the biggest child molester on the planet"?

April 29, 2012 at 5:31 am |
  16. Sitnalta

It's stuff like this that's the reason why atheism is becoming so popular. God has been demoted to a personal cheerleader for the shallow and simple-minded.

April 29, 2012 at 5:27 am |
    • WWJD

Atheism is a sin

April 29, 2012 at 5:29 am |
    • Bootyfunk

sin = fun

April 29, 2012 at 5:30 am |
    • bluemax77

Religion is for the weak, vulnerable and easily exploited...I’ll take atheism and all the name calling any day over fairy tails and pretend friends...!

April 29, 2012 at 5:32 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

WWJD: Let's get this straight...if we don't believe your god exists, then we don't believe in satan and we don't believe in heaven, hell or sin. Sin is a term that pertains to your god, nothing more. We are not hurting anyone by not believing and contrary to your previous delusional spewing most of us are well educated, fun loving adults who are quite capable of living good fulfilling lives without the need for an imaginary di.ctator to guide us. You have no clue as to what we are about. If anything you fit the definition of a sinner as given by your buybull...you are a hypocrite who judges people and your god says judging is sinful.

April 29, 2012 at 5:56 am |
    • WWJD

You just ignore truth. Atheist fear Jesus and FEAR the Word of God but pretend they do not.

April 29, 2012 at 6:01 am |
    • Daniel

Simple-minded? You're right; leading scientists are just dumb.

April 29, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
  17. jackiesmith

hearing voices is called schizophrenia. go to a psychiatrist.

April 29, 2012 at 5:25 am |
  18. SixDegrees

If you're hearing voices in your head, even if they sound like Garrison Keillor, you probably need to seek medical help.

April 29, 2012 at 5:25 am |
  19. WWJD

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:

† Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet Atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are Atheists/Agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

April 29, 2012 at 5:23 am |
    • Steven Brooks

No, no...
      You specify belief in the ignorance and lies of Christianity.

Enjoy your lies!

April 29, 2012 at 5:27 am |
    • Hwy 9

And this is why people think you're nutz!

April 29, 2012 at 5:29 am |
    • Bootyfunk

koo koo!

April 29, 2012 at 5:31 am |
    • halfbakedlunatic

You need to read the most recent posting on TheHalfBakedLunatic.com blog

April 29, 2012 at 5:32 am |
    • tomnikoly

This is at least the second time I've seen I've seen this garbage posted in the belief blog. You're a troll...and not even a clever one.

April 29, 2012 at 5:34 am |
    • don.chamblee@gmail.com

As a child, I remember our minister saying that in the early years of Christianity pagans would remark, "See those Christians, how they love one another." Perhaps. What's clearer to me now is how good you are at hating others.

April 29, 2012 at 5:36 am |
    • John

You write: ATHEISTS WILL BURN BURN BURN IN HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE WHERE THEY BELONG AND GOOD RIDDANCE TO THEM I WILL DANCE ON STREETS OF GOLD AND SMILE DOWN ON THEM FROM ABOVE

Now take a look at your words. How Christian like does that sound?

April 29, 2012 at 5:47 am |
    • William Ricard

A little over two years ago I discovered that I wasn't an atheist. It was on December 3, 2009 at 4am in the morning when my wife took her last breath. She died from cancer, actually she starved to death from the treatment for cancer. And I realized it was not logical to be this angry with something that didn't exist.

April 29, 2012 at 5:48 am |
    • Sid Airfoil

Wow...and YOU call US ignorant and crazy!

Get some medication..

Sid

April 29, 2012 at 5:49 am |
    • WWJD

The Bible tells us to spread the word and warn others. Sometime we have to utelize colorful method so atheist see the rror of their way.

April 29, 2012 at 5:51 am |
    • EmilioSanchez

Perhaps you should consider that the human spirit was never meant to live forever. It is more like a twinkie with an expiration date. After a long life you have seen and done most everything you desired. Your suffer pain. You are tired. Your body is broken. You desire nothing. At this point you've had enough and clearly know that living an eternity is not a goal. Let it go. Move on. Have the to consideration to be cremated so as to not leave a mess or take up real estate for no good reason.

April 29, 2012 at 6:29 am |
    • Human Ape

I think WWJD is just pretending to be an idiot.

Type "darwin killed god" in the google search box then click the I'm Feeling Lucky button.

April 29, 2012 at 6:55 am |
    • lolzz

WWJD, you're violating CNN Terms of Service. Stop spamming please.

April 29, 2012 at 9:46 am |
    • D Anderson

† Christianity is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
      † Christianity is a disease that needs to be treated.
      † Christianity makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by Christians)
      † Christians are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
      † Christians causes problem in our society.
      † Christians are mentally ill, that's why they have faith.
      † Christianity won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
      † Christianity makes you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
      † Christians are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
      † Christians try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
      † Christians do not really exist, they just pretend that they believe in God and argue with non-religious people.
      † Christians have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
      † Most Christians are uneducated... No Christians should run for presidency.
      † Christians cannot explain the origins of the universe, because they assume God exists.
      † Some Christians don't believe in evolution, which means they don't believe we are animals.
      † The Bible says atheism is wrong, but the Bible is often wrong (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
      † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the lowest crime rates!!

† † Our hopes go out to Christians that they may be mentally healed and seek reality † †

April 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  20. afreeman

CNN, how about you guys start writing about things other than the big 3 bores. How about some articles about Afro-Carribean faiths, or Ancestor veneration in Asia, or neo-greek pagans, or Sikhs, or Chritisian 'heretical' sects like the arians etc etc etc etc

April 29, 2012 at 5:19 am |
    • WWJD

Christ is the only answer and the only one worth writing about.

April 29, 2012 at 5:22 am |
    • Bootyfunk

it's because the cult of christianity is the predominant cult in this country.

and for the record, Love is the answer. though while we're waiting for the answer, S.ex does raise some pretty good questions...

April 29, 2012 at 5:26 am |
    • lolzz

WWJD, yer mum's a screamer. Now THAT's something to write about.

April 29, 2012 at 9:47 am |
    • Arunas

I work in a dental ofifce, so today I put a new patient in the schedule, had his paperwork all done up and chart ready. At the morning huddle the dentist and hygienist read through their patients for the day and what services they are getting. The name of my patient ? Bob Loblaw .. (say it out loud!) Of course, I kept asking what is his name again? It was hilarious!

July 31, 2012 at 10:39 pm |