home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. MalcolmXcrement

Didn't Archie Bunker say that He sounded like Arthur Godfrey??

April 29, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • sam stone

how about john cameron swayze?

April 30, 2012 at 4:35 am |
  2. post

I like the speculative picture

April 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

keep your speculum to yourself please.

April 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  3. Flim Flam Sauce

Mel Gibson. He sounds like Mel Gibson.

April 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • Lord Humungus

Drunk or sober?

April 29, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

Drunk as all hell. And blaming the Jews for everything that's wrong with the world.

April 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  4. Mr. Wizard

Based on his behavior, God must sound exactly like Adolf Hitler.

April 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

Or Mel Gibson.

April 29, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • MalcolmXcrement

Pigs...

April 29, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Lord Humungus

God sounds like pigs to you Malcolm. Yeah, that works for me. Go with it.

April 29, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

LOL Humungous. 🙂

MalcolmX, do you mean pigs like Wilbur? Like "some pig?" Or Babe the Gallant Pig?

April 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  5. Flim Flam Sauce

Last week, I heard the Lord tell me to marry the ret arded girl at the Church Youth Group. Too bad he forgot to tell me about restraining orders and Megan's Law, as well.

April 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  6. Flim Flam Sauce

I know that I for one, woke up yesterday, saw the moon move across the sky backwards, in top-hat and a cane, soft-shoeing it to "Hello Ma Baby" and I knew. Yep, I said, that's you God. 100%.

April 29, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  7. OrangeW3dge

God sounds like a quasar.

April 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • Mr. Wizard

God sounds like a prefect vacuum.

And I don't mean a vacuum cleaner.

April 29, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

no wiz, that's only the ones listening that are in a vacuum

April 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  8. James

Who knows if God has a set 'voice'. Most likely different to each if we actually hear it.

April 29, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • Brown

It's YOU! It's you mistaking your own internal dialogue for being God talking to you.

April 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • sybaris

A god wouldn't need a voice. If your god is omnipotent it would just introduce the thought into your head unless it was a narcissistic god and want to make sure you knew where the guidance was coming from. Now the god of the christian bible, that is one bloodthirsty self-absorbed mofo right there!

April 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
  9. LOL Religion

I you talk to god it's called prayer, if god talks to you it's called schizophrenia.

April 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

LOL Religion,,,,,,,,,,,, ,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.,...,.,,

GOD is no God nor even a god! Understand these simply put words and you will know of a plainly put Truth!

April 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
  10. charles

That's easy. God sound exactly like the late John Facenda. Anyone tuned in knows to what I am referring.

April 29, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

...with a German accent

April 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
  11. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 29, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • xzanthius

You are right! Children are born with a religion. It is called Animism and is based upon the belief that life and consciousness exist everywhere and in everything. That is the natural religion of humanity.

April 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • sybaris

why are amputees left out though?

April 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
  12. mike

Nothing, imaginary creatures don't talk.

April 29, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • OrangeW3dge

Mikey Mouse has been talking since the 30's, and he's in technicolor too !!

April 29, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  13. Flim Flam Sauce

Good chance that God has Cartman's voice.

Imagine him screaming: "Respect my authoritah!!"

April 29, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
  14. JESUS

TO ME USUALLY GOD SPEAKS THROUGH NATURE, BECAUSE WHEN GOD SPEAKS TO YOU IT MEANS THAT THERE IS A VERY IMPORTANT THING TO TELL YOU, SO ALSO THE DEVIL LIKES TO SAY THAT IS JESUS, SO HOW I FOUND OUT WHO IS WHO IS BECASUE GOD GIVES NATURE SIGN FOR EXAMPLE, THERE IS A WIND STORM AND JESUS SAYS TO YOU, I AM GOING TO STOP THE WIND IN 5 MINUTES SO YOU KNOW THAT I AM JESUS, THE DEVIL IS VERY DECEIVING AND IT TAKES TIME TO DISCERN GOD MESSAGES, BUT IS VERY WORTHED THE TASK OF DISCERNING, JESUS TOLD ME THAT ANGELS IN HEAVEN NEED TO DO THIS ALL THE TIME. GOOD LUCK.

April 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • sybaris

Wow, just wow.

April 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

The last time that happened to me, the wind stopped after 6 minutes. I knew for certain it was not the voice of God.

April 29, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

Even the angels in heaven need to do this all the time?

Sorry, but having a hard time visualizing that. So the communications system in heaven must be like that in North Korea. Giant speakers set up all over the place: "This is the voice of Kim-Jong Il, your great and devoted leader. Why is evewyone so f88king stupid?" No wonder it's so tough to tell the two apart.

April 29, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Ting

A little Haldol should help clear that up for you.

April 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • rochdoc

Just an attempt to mock.

April 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

Haldol will absolutely do the trick. Please consult a psychiatrist as to whether you have a DSM diagnoses of 297.3 or
      298.9.

April 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  15. osarusan

If, at any time, you hear the audible voice of god telling you what to do, put down your pen, shut off your PC, and go straight to the nearest hospital. Hearing voices is not a sign that you are blessed or loved or somehow specially connected. It means you are very very sick.

April 29, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • Hobbling Bob Dobson

Agreed, but I use a keyboard with my computer. My pen really marks up the screen, and it just does not seem to work that well.

April 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • JESUS

READ ABOUT NSA SYSTEMS, YOU DONT NEED TO BE CRAZY TO HEAR VOICES IN YOUR HEAD, IN USA THIS SYSTEM IS USED BY THE ARMY, BY THE WA GOD ALSO CAN SPEAK TO YOU, TO ME IT HAPPENED AFTER I WENT THROUGH A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE, JESUS TOLD ME THAT I AM RESURRECTED SINCE THEN I RECEIVED PROPHETIC MESSAGES FROM GOD THAT HE CONFIRMS WITH THE WEATHER. HE HAS STOP WINDS LIKE JESUS IN THE BIBLE, HE HAS MOVE THE MOON, THE SUN, HE HAS MAKE ANINMALS LIKE BIRDS AND BUTTERFLIES TO FOLLOW ME AND MANY MORE THINGS, I BELEIVE THAT I AM A RESURRETED PERSON, NEVER HAD THIS EXPERIENCE PRIOR TO GOING TO DEATH EXPERIENCE, SO DONT KNOW IF YOU CAN HEAR HIM PRIOR OF GOING TROUGH YOUR PERSONAL JUDGEMNT, GOOD LUCK, THERE IS SO MUCH FOR YOU STILL TO KNOW BEFORE DRAWING OPINIONS.

April 29, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

@JESUS: please ask God if he can correct your spelling and teach you how not to type in ALL CAPS. Amen.

April 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Post Left Anarchist

All caps means screaming, which is totally appropriate considering the content.

April 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

"HE HAS MOVE THE MOON, THE SUN"...?

huh? then if they be the case, take the time and date to your local meteorological station, confirm, and you have proven God's existence beyond the shadow of a doubt...

If they don't have either occurrence on record...time to try Haldol.

BTW, do you "has" cheezeburger?

April 29, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  16. Please allow me to introduce myself . . .

God is the devil. No real god would demand you obey absolutely or he will torture you forever. No real god would want to torture people forever for anything – that isn't even reasonable in the human world. We don't torture people forever, and certainly not for something so small as not obeying.

No real god would hide himself from part of the world, ensuring eternal torture for them. No real god would give the greatest rewards to a horrific criminal who said he would obey, but torture eternally the best, most giving person who did not obey.

No real god would allow the suffering and misery of the world to go on. No real god would let children be born into abusive homes, and then answer the greedy, self-absorbed prayers of his sycophant followers.

No real god would do those things . . . but the devil would.

If there is a supernatural being acting as most religions say, then that being is evil, and not worthy of worship.

April 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • I am God

Many religious people say it is because God gave you free will, but the issue I see with that is if God gave us free will then I can be an Atheist and not go to hell. Why in the world are religious people attacking me for what I believe in and what free will God gave me?

April 29, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • Please allow me to introduce myself . . .

You cannot have free will if God already knows everything that will happen, as the Bible says he does. You can only have the illusion of it. Oddly enough, that means you must act a certain way for God's plan to occur, so you had to be progrqammed to do it. Which means that you are not responsible for your actions – God is.

And then again, he isn't. If God already knows everything that will ever happen, then he himself cannot change anything either. He is trapped in the same determinism we all are, and is thus not omnipotent.

And why would God even bother if he already knows what will happen from what he started? Why would he possibly be mad or happy or anything when something happens – he knew about that millions of years ago. The universe and all of time would be totally pointless to him, an incredibly long bore that he cannot change, like watching reruns for the rest of your life.

God is totally illogical, and thus cannot be.

April 29, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Bruce Almighty

Well said. Guess who killed more people in the Bible?

God – 2.5million to 25 million
      Satan – 10 to 60

April 29, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • rochdoc

and that Devil is till working – through you. Now I believe in evil. Thanks.

April 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
  17. I am God

Religion is disappearing quickly and people who are putting their faith into humanity and science are growing. The Illuminati shall return to Earth once again. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • edwardo

I so hope you're right! It's a lot to hope for.

April 29, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • I am God

Lol. I highly doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but I am sure it will be happening in a century or so for sure.

April 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  18. Flim Flam Sauce

...However, I'd be there are a substantial number of black Christians who have heard Morgan Freeman's voice as the voice of God.

BTW, James Earl Jones' voice doesnt count. Everyone knows that underneath the mask, Darth Vader is a white guy.

April 29, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
  19. Flim Flam Sauce

Ten bucks says this white chick won't hear God as sounding like Morgan Freeman in 10,000 years.

April 29, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
  20. ec

Why is this trash considered news?

April 29, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • sam stone

it is in the belief section. stick to the program

April 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • z

It is the main story on CNN.com also. Pure junk.

April 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm |