home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. oppo

The Sumerians (6,000 years ago) say that humans were created by GodS and GodB in the Edin medical facility by merging their DNA (double helix snake) with an Earth ape species, to be workers. In fact, 2 chromosomes were not implanted due to multiple objections from GodA. About 10,000 years ago, GodA predicted the floods (a natural disaster) but kept it secret to destroy the human species but GodB told that guy to build the ark and GodS provided the vials to store the genes of the affected species. 4,000 years ago, the Babylonians then merged the gods together to reduce conflict arising out of the divided loyalties arising from the conflicting Gods. It is quite well proven that existing middle Eastern religions were summarized from the Babylonian texts. Genesis, therefore happened about 430,000 years ago, and those gods would be some 500,000 years technological more advanced than the human species. Maybe GodB and GodS still listen (using telepresence) to whatever humans want to whine about.

April 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • oppo's doctor

I need to up your dosage of lithium immediately.

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  2. Darkguardian1314

I would think God would use a voice that would be identifiable to the person hearing the voice. If two people heard God's voice at the same time, each would hear his voice differently, yet each would immediately know it was God.

April 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
  3. Stockholm

Cannot believe that 92% of Americans believe in God

Here in Sweden only 20% do LOL

April 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • n8263

You are lucky.

April 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Lord Humungus

It's not 92%; it's 85% and dropping. No Religion is long and away the fastest growing sategory, doubling every 20 years.

April 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • wryng

Yeah, I don't know about that statistic here in America. That sounds off. I'd have to hear the poll question though. I know many Americans who just say they believe in God, but don't really think about it critically. They get really uncomfortable when you start digging deeper with questions like, "So, Jonah and the whale, demons, Noah's ark and talking snakes, you reeeeaallly believe all that fairytale nonsense?

April 29, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Darkguardian1314

Yet, when crap hit's the fan, you call his name.

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

DarkGuardian:

actually, when crap hits the fan, I call Mike Diamond Plumbing Services.

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

...and then I buy a new fan.

April 29, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

When the delusional idiots figure out how apostrophes word, I'll believe in miracles.

April 29, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • Conrad

There is a difference between "believing in god" and "following a man-made religion or church." I think you will find that many, if not most, Americans have faith, but are moving away from the delusion of the various churches. Personally, I consider the concept of faith to be the best, most beautiful concept humanity has ever conceived, while that of organized religion is among the worst.

April 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
    • AGuest9

No, Darkguardian1314, when crap hits the fan, I call it by its real name. No imaginary folk needed.

April 29, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
  4. JESUS IS KING

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:.

† Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet Atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are Atheists/Agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

PS! the USA is a Christian nation and will always be.

April 29, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • LOL Religion

LOL, looks just like the spam my crazy religious aunt keeps sending me. That's a great parody!

If it wasn't a parody, talk to your doctor about increasing your dosage of Risperidal.

April 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

And yet without the French Revoluton, you wouldn't have the American Revolution, or the freedom to post the list of logical fallacies and unsubstantiated assertions that you just did.

I do hope you were joking, because that list is damn funny!

April 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • JESUS IS KING

Why would I joke? It's 100% true and fact.

April 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • sportreform

hey, you have a kick me sign taped to your back.

April 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

@JESUS IS KING

Dear Sir or Madam, I applaud your wit and repartee. Your sense of timing and humor is truly, deeply, madly...in a word: impeccable.

George Carlin couldn't have said it better.

Cheers!

April 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • Satan

1. Atheists are universally more intelligent than those who believe in imaginary gods

2. A recent study showed that atheists know more about religions than those who claimed to be members of said religions. Look up the definition of ignorance.

3. Religion, or the belief in imaginary things, is growingly being considered a form of mental illness and mental weakness, i.e. fear of death and insecurity lead to imaginary beliefs

5. Prisons are OVERWHELMINGLY populated by self proclaimed christians. Less than one percent (0.21%) are atheists.

6. Your life is a joke

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • Paul

"PS! the USA is a Christian nation and will always be."
      Absolutely. Except that's completely false. "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion...." -John Adams.

The pesky bits called "truth" can be so ^*(^^&$# tiresome.

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • wryng

I feel so sorry for you, needing a crutch like that. Why do you need such validation in life? Is it really that empty without an imaginary friend in the sky who acts as your security blanket. I'm so glad I'm free of any of that phony guilt, fear and feeling that I need to convert everyone over to my way of thinking or else they are diseased. Some of us don't need a God to be good people. Before there was Christianity, Aristotle wrote about ethics. I don't harm people because I have empathy for them and it is wrong to make someone a victim through selfishness. I do good things for people not because I fear a God, I do it for myself and my fellow man. What kind of person only does good things because they're afraid of intergalactic punishment?

April 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
    • Conrad

Wow! And who is the delusional blogger here? That's quite a list. I am not an atheist, but follow no man-made organized church; my faith is simply in faith itself-not in any set of rituals or prayers, and I certainly do not consider myself a Christian. Am I an atheist by your standards?

April 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Observer

Jesus is King,

What a long list of nonsense. Just wishful thinking. Learn to do some research so you won't make so many mindless statements so lacking in TRUTH.

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • KaiXan

You are exactly the type of Christian that scares the peawaddlin' out of me! The most evil atrocities in history include more than just the French Revolution (which by the way helped free my peasant forebears from royal tyranny). How about the Inquisition (it took place in more places than just Spain), the vendettas of Sicily and Italy during the Renaissance, the Holocaust of WWII, Manzanar, the Genocides that took/taking place in Serbia, Bosnia, Africa, and many other countries (where they fight over, strangely enough, Religion). Now, why do you scare me. I am a Pagan. I do not want to be Christian. A Christian like you, if you could not force me into your religion, would harm me, confine me, do harm to my family or kill me in the name of your God. All to save my soul. My soul is just fine and none of your concern. It is my concern and the deity(s) to whom I pray everyday. I volunteer my time, and took care of my mother in home for 12 years until the cancer killed her. I was told many times by Christians that she should be put in a home, so my life would be easier. I take care of animals by fostering and finding new homes. I love my family, work hard and treat everyone I meet with kindness and respect. Am I perfect? No, but I try my hardest. So I say with all fairness and respect, get out of my temple and I will stay out of yours!

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
  5. wryng

I wonder if God sounds like Fran Drescher to anyone. I also wonder what heaven is like for masochists and why you are supposed to shed all of your worldly possessions and the incentive for getting to heaven is a free mansion. If everyone has a mansion and streets paved with gold, then what happens to the value of those things? If God is omnipotent, then why doesn't he ever talk to atheists and why would anyone want to go to heaven if it's going to be full of Christians? (shudder) An eternity with my grandmother and Pat Robertson sounds more like hell to me. So many questions and I never hear the voice of Yoda giving me any answers. The moment I do though, I'm going to be looking for a good psychiatrist

April 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • AGuest9

Ahh-He.h, Ahh-He.h, Ahh-He.h! (Probably not.)

April 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • a reasonable athiest

Up your meds, or help you I will not!

May 1, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  6. cucotx

I wouldn't be surprised if cats, dogs and other mammals have their own concept of a God to help them with their lives. But, since we cannot talk to other animals, we cannot ask them their views. But, one day, either when we build machines that are self-aware or when we finally meet Aliens from out of this world, we will find out that other beings have their own convenient and comforting religious beliefs.

IMO, it is the adult version of the mother figure that we keep inside each and every one of us. Protecting us and comforting the fearful child the grows up to be an adult.

Humanity will gradually cast most fears away. Then, one day, when our minds can automatically get answers to most of its questions from a virtual repository of information, it will no longer find a need to consult the evil and dysfunctional God created by some long forgotten Monk from the Middle Ages.

April 29, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  7. gliese42

God is spirit and he talks to you in your heart. Take a walk and enjoy the nature surely you will feel god. Going to Church or having a prayer meeting and you will feel god but the voice i hear is within me

April 29, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  8. oyvavoy

I think the writer has good intention

April 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

the road to hell is paved with...oh nevermind. deaf ears.

April 29, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  9. oyvavoy

Perry Mason? Garrison Keillor ? In other words, he’s engaging, often very funny, and almost always an absolute joy to be around. he’s fairly good-natured about it????????????

April 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  10. OrangeW3dge

the tangled web we weave...

April 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  11. Mahmud

atheists..... you should join my peaceful and wonderful religion of ISLAM. It's the way of life.
    Allah is great!

April 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Satan

You should talk to your buddies who keep blowing everyone up with IED's. I don't think they got the memo on what your imaginary friend wanted you guys to do

April 29, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • gliese42

Allah means god to middle east christians

April 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • gliese42

Allah means god to middle east Christians

April 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
  12. Physicist

I have always sensed god as a source of infinite energy just the other side of here and now. It's my personal experience, just as god's voice is other people's. i stopped being a Catholic when they tried to tell me I needed a priest and a saint's intercession. Since at the time I was at a parochial school (I was 8) I had to keep it undercover. So I learned a lot about hypocrisy rather than the "morality" I was supposed to be learning. Children don't just learn what you think you're teaching - they tend to cut to the truth.

April 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • AGuest9

Isn't it ironic?

April 29, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
  13. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Satan

Here is a link to a study that shows prayer does not change things.
      I am sure you will somehow rationalize this to yourself and continue to pretend god is real, but it was worth a try

April 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • wryng

If everything is predestined and preordained by God, why does he ask people to pray?

April 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • AGuest9

Sorry, "Satan". Because this nonsense is a dichotomy, you don't exist, either.

April 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • david esmay

Nothing fails like prayer.

April 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  14. God's Oldest Dreamer

GOD was once but God and never god! GOD was once God long before mankind came to be and GOD will be around come mankind's finality! GOD just loves to watch 'em squirm whenever things don't go according to mankind's plans! There are far too many idiots on both sides of fence and way too many just on the fence with a certain amount upon the fence posts just sitting there with grins on their faces! To be a person of godliness today, it takes more then hearing of God's voice to become of the chosen to lead a flock of niiny wieners to scared of where the social herds are coming from and going towards! Your Boss is still on the cross! Why did I say this when I believe in GOD and Jesus? I don't run a damn thing! I am a ward of the nation that I love and care about deeply! Between the up and coming lowered generations wanting to no longer be divided anymore should all seek societal unification and take over the authority channels of all social lattices' fenced in pragmatists decore!

Gods are no one's fools! GOD and the Gods are however far beyond mankind's understandings! Hell, the average "joe" is but a well below average intellectual! The rich in this world are rich due their climbing upon the backs of the average joes! I tend to not pitty the rich when their days of earthly judgment comes upon the rich's children who will bear their parents vileness deeds done! My godly fundaments are beyond the revelries of Christian and governmental cronyism!

April 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • david esmay

Absolute nonsense.

April 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  15. wmcutterblack

For the most part, according to the illustration for this article, I'd go with the voice of Pee-Wee Herman. Spock, no, because there seems no logic to what people believe "God" does. James Earl Jones has a nice voice, but not any more Godly than George Burns

April 29, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  16. NYC

Atheists: I promise you will end up in hell in less than 80 years.

April 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • Observer

Your promise is worthless. It is not based on any proof.

April 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • NYC

Need proof? Jump off from your local bridge & be done. Your life is worthless anyway

April 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • Surfeit

We'll be in good company. Lots of brilliant philosophers, scientists, philanthropists, and the 2/3 of the world's population that isn't Christian would end up in Hell, right? And Pat Robertson won't be anywhere around, so Hell sounds like a sweet party to me!

April 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • LOL Religion

LOL, feel the Christian 'love'.

April 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • AGuest9

Where to start? "Judge not, lest ye..."?

"Your life is worthless anyway" Wow! How christian!

No, actually, it goes deeper than that, doesn't it? It's self-pity and self-loathing, isn't it, NYC?
      You feel that you need to lash out at people who have found that they can be happy and philosophical and compassionate without the trappings of your "faith" and you HATE them for it, because inside, you hate yourself more. You NEED that sad, pathetic crutch called religion more than life, itself. THAT'S why you feel a burning desire to run down every one who thinks differently than you. You can threaten them with your god and your satan and hell – NONE of which even exist – because secretly, deep down inside – it makes you feel GOOD. You don't even realize how far you've given in to the dark side.

Think about THAT next week in church.

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  17. Yo

LOL loser atheists spend their Sundays on CNN religious blogs attacking religion while Christians spend their mornings at church and having excellent family time and enjoy life. Keep getting mad atheists and continue what you do..... life's short baby and you decide where you'll end up in at the end 🙂

Xoxo.... God loves us all

April 29, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

It's nice that Christians "spend their mornings at church and having excellent family time and enjoy life." Sucks to be a homeless person, incarcerated, or disabled in your neighborhood, since you'll be kicking it at church rather than reaching out to them.

April 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • AGuest9

Same place as you, decomposing in the ground.

April 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • NYC

Homeless people attend churches too here in New York City.
      They pray, and prayer helps.

April 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

NYC

Yeah it helps a lot. They're still homeless...

April 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • NYC

At least churches donate money to them, feed them, give them shelters, clothes etc.

April 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Nothing like a passive aggressive threat of eternal torture followed by 'god loves you all'.

'I'll pray for you' and 'god still loves you' is christian for 'go f-k yourself'.

April 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • AGuest9

"NYC At least churches donate"

It's disgusting to think that because one doesn't believe in nonsense and sit in a building reciting fictional poetry every Sunday morning, that somehow that MUST preclude him/her from being charitable! I'll be doing much more charitable work during the week than the vast majority of the people that sat, knelt and stood in those pews this morning – then left to cut people off in traffic, gossip about their "friends" and compare the fashion styles of the other services' attendees.

April 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
  18. LOL Religion

What am I saying, of course you are delusional, you are religious after all.

April 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
  19. Karen Spears Zacharias

As the author of this article, I need to clear up a few things that got messed up in the editing and publication of it.

Let me make this perfectly clear: I do not hear the voice of God. What I actually wrote was that I hear a voice that says "Oh God! Oh GOD!!" repeatedly, and does not respond when I say "Let go of my ears; I know what I am doing."

April 29, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

Admit it. You like it when he pulls your hair.

Ears do hurt though. Ouch.

April 29, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  20. IN GOD WE TRUST

HAAHAHAHHA atheism will be dying out 😀

more and more people realize how stupid they are and seeking their creator

April 29, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Only if you are completely delusional and ignore every poll and piece of statistical data out there that says organized religion is slowly dying.

April 29, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • Yo

Islam & Christianity will grow while all others will decline.
      Islam grows because some people are brainwashed, or getting forced or marry a Muslim.

A poll voted by 2000 atheists is not enough your moron

April 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • b4bigbang

That's fine that "organized religion" is finally dying. Many Christians, including myself, are worshipping in informal small groups at each others' homes, forsaking the large official assemblies.
      So it looks like the earth is gonna be stuck with us indefinately.

April 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Flim Flam Sauce

b4bigbang.
      "So it looks like the earth is gonna be stuck with us indefinately."
      ?
      How does that even follow logically?
      You just stated that organized religion is dying, and Christian churches are fragmenting into informal small group home fellowships. And then you disregarded these last two statements and stated that Christians will be around indefinitely.

If by "indefinately," you mean "it's just a matter of time before we disappear completely," then you would be consistent. But I don't think that's what you mean- however, you logic hardly supports the conclusion that your belief system will have many adherents in the coming days.

April 29, 2012 at 8:59 pm |