home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Argie57

Questions for CNN:

Are you serious?

Do you call this reporting?

Pathetic

April 29, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • Observer

It got your attention. You read it and even commented. Just what CNN intended.

One point for CNN. 1 to 0.

April 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Sarda

Read "The Philosophy of Divine Love" By Swami Prakashanand Sarashwati. You will all get the answers.

May 8, 2012 at 9:09 am |
  2. OMG

Why are atheists fat and unhealthy?

Because they sit and eat burgers, fries, pizza, cakes, cookies and drink coke behind their screen on CNN

April 29, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
    • Observer

Deep thinking.

April 29, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Projecting again, honey? Time to lose that muffin-top. It's obscuring your camel-toe.

April 29, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

Why is evewyone so fooking stoopid?

You must be vewy ronery.

April 29, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Which is why the Bible Belt has the fattest citizens in the states.

April 29, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • sqeptiq

So, you're an atheist?

April 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
  3. GodIsForDummies

I could tell by the blogger's big, fat, stupid face that this article would amuse me. "Jesus rode on dinosaurs", is all I have to say about this idiotic crap.

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

g-d amnit, shut up! Yore wrong. He rode on woolly mammoths.

April 29, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • a reasonable athiest

But what did the mammoths ride? That's right.. dinosaurs.

May 1, 2012 at 9:15 am |
  4. ElmerGantry

One ping post and one ping post only.

1) CNN is obviously trying to compete with FAUX by becoming more tabloid like. Hint to CNN executives, you will not be able to outfox FAUX.

2) I am going to simply "sit back, relax, and chuckle at all the fundie stupidstïtous posts. Have at it fundies, laughter is the best medicine.

April 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
  5. OldWestGambler

Trying to be as nonprejudicial as I can possibly be, I sincerely hope that people who say that God speaks to them, and that they can actually hear his voice, are people who do not have access to firearms.

April 29, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • Satan

Or children.

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

Or dogs, lizards, or light sockets.

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
  6. Portland tony

I hear the "Sound of Silence"! And the lyrics are a good fit too.

April 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
  7. Dave

If you are hearing voices...perhaps you need a shrink rather than more religion?

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
  8. Alice T.

Please don't laugh at me, but God spoke to me today. I am absolutely sure of it. I heard God speak to me as I was driving my car. I had just come to a stop, and I heard it, clear as day. There was no human anywhere around, and yet that voice shone through, so beautiful and clear and reassuring.

I talked with God briefly. He asked me what I wanted, which I thought was very compassionate – God is indeed love. I told him, and in the warmest voice reassured me that I will get it. God then asked me if I wanted fries with that, but I said no, the Quarter Pounder will be fine.

April 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
    • Pipes

You sound like a typical fat American troll who loves fast food...

b!tch

April 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

I always said God was a ne gro teen in Compton, working on his G.E.D.

April 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ah. So God is a high school drop-out. I thought so.

April 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

It's true, Tom. Seriously, who else would think of sending billions of people to hell just because one naked chick ate an apple?

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • C.S. Deckard

To quote Pen Jillette:

"If god (however you perceive him/her/it) told you to kill your child – would you do it? If your answer is no, in my booklet you’re an atheist. There is doubt in your mind. Love and morality are more important to you than your faith. If your answer is yes, please reconsider."

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

C.S.: beautifully said, my friend. Very apt.

April 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
  9. wryng

If I could bring myself to believe in God, I would have to believe that there is an all powerful, all seeing, all knowing being that gives cancer to babies every day and sees nothing wrong with that. So if there is such a God, why would anybody want to worship the jerk? Before you start with the "Everything happens for a reason" B.S., I'm pretty sure that I could come up with a better way of accomplishing something than by giving a baby a horrible birth defect. That's just a total lack of creativity and sort of a Dick move.

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
  10. Chis

seriously do atheists ever smile and are happy?! Never seem like it unfortunately...

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

We smile when we're having se x, which is quite a lot these days. You on the other hand, why you just close your eyes and grit your teeth.

April 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

We're laughing our asses off on this golden thread, my friend! You have no idea how funny Christian "logic" is, or just how much fun it is to watch someone try to debate when they cannot support anything they say with evidence.

Lots of laughter, and thanks!

April 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Are you kidding? I get a huge laugh out of posts made by believers here. They're just so...earnest.

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • sportreform

You're a downer, Chris. That's the real reason. And it's not just the athiests who feel that way.

April 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • LOL Religion

All the time, especially when we're laughing at how silly religious folks are.

April 29, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  11. C.S. Deckard

Two things:

1. Why does James Earl Jones look whiter than Leonard Nimoy?

2. How did you forget Morgan Freeman?

Seriously though, an amusing article.

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • Shmel Shmi Shlomo

C.S. Deckard- because Darth Vader's a white guy, dude...or didn't you watch the prequels?

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • Dave

And what about George Burns? Oh god!

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  12. Gradma

ATHEISTS NEEDS THEIR KIDS TO BE TAKEN AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They teach their kids to act like Satan !!!!!

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • Satan

Go die already grandma. Its not the 1500's anymore, we stopped burning witches and eating the flesh of 2000 year old Mesopotamian gods. It's just so outdated

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • sportreform

ain't no satan either, grandma.

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What, do they use only one exclamation point? What an abomination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • Ting

So you are telling me that the men who flew the planes into the World Trade Center were the offspring of atheists?

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm |
    • Dave

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.

April 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  13. Shmel Shmi Shlomo

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my breakthrough experience. I believe God spoke to me yesterday in the ur inal...that is, until I realized that it was just a kidney stone trying to break through...

Shabbat Shalom mot hafo(kers.

April 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • George Armani

My friend, it sounds like you are describing a "second circu mcision" experience...

April 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Hassidic nerd

Hi Jesus Christ killers...... go eat some kosher pork

April 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • Pipes

How did it feel when your rabbi su.cked your pe nis blood when getting circ umstized?

April 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • Shmel Shmi Shlomo

Pipes: your mother s uc ks c oc ks in hell!

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • Pipes

You mean your jewish mother? right ?

I thought jews don't believe in hell (?) LOL.... go make some $$$$$$$

April 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
  14. unowhoitsme

No interpretation that man has..God is God...so be it. Religion is man's interpretation...man doesn't even get close to the real thing. Which ALWAYS leads people astray.

April 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
  15. sportreform

white noise. all things make believe sound like white noise.

April 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  16. b4bigbang

Oh, we'll disappear one of these days for sure, but no man knows the day nor the hour.
    Regarding the popularity of Christianity, there will come an apostasy before Jesus returns.
    He asked "when the Son of Man returns, will he find faith on the earth?"
    Who knows when that will be however.

April 29, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • mikstov33

Look around. The apostasy is breathin down our necks ever heavy right now.This really ain't what Jesus had in mind. He came the first time to reprove the faith....he'll be back to do the same.

April 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • b4justsayin is just a liar

Right. You have been telling us for weeks how the latest earthquake is proof positive that the End Of Times is on, and now you are saying that it can't be known.

April 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Satan

Nothing can compare to the utter fear and shame that will happen as the life slowly leaves your body, and everything fades to black. Imagine the fear you will feel when you wait for the light to come and it doesn't. Imagine your hopes, all the lies you've ever lived, all the ways you've deluded yourself all these years finally hitting you at the same moment when you realize you will never see your loved ones again, and as everything fades to black you realize that you have lived a complete lie. Imagine the fear in that moment.

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

One can only hope the hour is near for you, bigfart.

April 29, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Wow, you went to the trouble of creating your own moniker with my name in it, i am impressed.
      Seriously, we are in the last days – it's not my idea, it's in the Bible!
      We just don't know exactly when all the crazy stuff in Revelation will hit, that's all....

April 29, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

bigfart=chicken tiny penis.

April 29, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Yes mikstov33, for we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ...

April 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
  17. Flim Flam Sauce

Won't you come with me to Alabamy
    Let's go see my dear old Mammy
    She's fryin' eggs and boiling hammy
    That's what I like about the South.

April 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
  18. Worried mom

My prayer goes to nonbelievers.... feel sad for them and their children being brainwashed. Hopefully they can escape their torture and seek their lord and saviour

April 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • Satan

And my prayer goes out to your children, in hopes that they, unlike their mother, go to college and get an education, and learn to think for themselves instead of being fed a 2000 year old fairy tale

April 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Ting

You have that backwards. My kids are being taught to think. If they want to be religious, that's fine. It's their decision not mine.

April 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • LOL Religion

Another delusional hypocrite who can't see the irony in their words.

April 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • HeyZues

Don;t pray for me. I will have noone making false claims to false gods in my name!

April 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • George Armani

April 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • George Armani

@Worried mom: My "prayer" goes to Worried moms like you- that your children's brains would be washed clean of your undue influence, and that they would be allowed and encouraged to think for themselves.

April 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • AGuest9

"escape their torture"???

I don't have foolishness rammed down MY throat every Sunday. There is no torture for me to escape.

April 29, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'm worried about your children, mom. They're being parented by a nincompoop.

April 29, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

@Tom- go a little easy on "mom" k buddy? For all we know, she thinks "nincompoop" us a kama sutra position.

April 29, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  19. bob

God sounds like Santa with a hint of easter bunny, and a dash of Leprechaun

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • GodPot

Sooo, more like Bobcat Goldthwait?

April 29, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
  20. mikstov33

Apparantly, for Boko Haram in Nigeria, he sounds like AK-47's and IED's killing innocent Christians.Just happened today, and I doubt you will see anyone brave enough to condenm it on this "Belief Blog".....I mean anyone from CNN.

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • AGuest9

Second the motion to condemn. All opposed? None. So noted.

April 29, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

Sorry, I'll be in Boca Raton for the weekend. No time to condemn. I hear Boko Haram is beautiful this time of year.

April 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • mikstov33

@ Big Jim You must be from CNN....Do you even know what Boko Haram is?

April 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • Big Jim Gubmo

Yeah, MikStick, I do: it's that game that old retired people play by throwing softball size colored b alls into the grass and seeing which one lands closest to the "tracer" ball.

April 29, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • mikstov33

Hey Gummy..you are an idiot.

April 29, 2012 at 10:05 pm |