home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. NonAtheist

To all you know-it-alls who say it's okay to ridicule someone else for their beliefs: Whether you realize it or not, you are endorsing intentional cruelty. Is that what you intend? If so, what does that say about the validity or respectability of your ethos?

April 30, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Jeanine

What? Is there some "atheist manifesto" somewhere they forgot to tell me about? Are you serious? No, you're a troll.

April 30, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • outOfTheBlue

No, it is not what we intend. Generally, we attack the belief, not the person (can't speek for every one of the millions of atheists out there). However, we often come across people (maybe like you) who tell us we are going to hell for not believing what they believe.
      So first take a look in the mirror before you make a statement like this.

April 30, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • NonAtheist

@Jeanine: I dont even know what you're trying to imply. Why do you say I'm a troll? Because I wrote something you don't like? If not that, what?

April 30, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • NonAtheist

@outOfTheBlue: I did NOT say you're going to hell, and I do hold myself to the same standard that I expect of others. Please hear my comment for what it is. It is NOT condemnation, it IS an attempt to make one little part of the world a less cruel place.

April 30, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • momoya

Love the sinner; hate the sin.. Love the deluded believer; hate the believer's delusion.

April 30, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • NonAtheist

@momoya: I can live with that.

April 30, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

i see your point about ridicule. I would question the weight of sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me against not allowing a segment of the population to marry and have equal rights.

in a perfect world, it's easy to say no one should insult the other side. In the world we live in however, people get defensive, get oppressed and get angry. My question to you, is does ridicule serve a function at all in society? and i'm not speaking to simply spreading hate and evil, but as a function of a healthy society, like the coyote of many native american tribes, the court jester, and the clown.

it is my experience that ridicule normally happens when someone is continuing down an erroneous path and is refusing to change trajectory. One might say this opinion about 'what god sounds like' deserves a little bit of ridicule. Especially considering mother teresa wrote in her diary about how god never spoke to her, not to mention the logic of an all powerful, omni-present god choosing to communicate in such a horribly ineffective and prone to miscommunication type of way.

when the religious start debating what god sounds like in their heads, and comparing that to the voice of famous celebrities, i think that's about as fair game as you get for ridicule. I'm not saying the author isn't a sweet nice old lady, who is probably very loving and kind. I'm saying she's being rather silly and not very bright when she penned this piece, to put it kindly myself.

April 30, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • Primewonk

@ momoya – not the old "love the sinner, hate the sin" line of cràp again.

Book, chapter, and verse, from your bible for this please.

[hint – you can't – because it isn't in there. It's a quote from Gandhi – a Hindu]

In fact, this putz of a god commands his followers to go and kill gay folks. How exactly is this "love the sinner"?

April 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Jeanine

@NonAtheist
      You seem to think all atheists have some huge monolithic rulebook like you do. We don't.
      All we share is a lack of belief in a god or gods. That. is. it.
      Nothing more can be inferred from the definition of atheism.

Moral values do not require a rulebook.
      They do not require the delusion of a hateful god breathing down our necks and examining every tiny thing we think and do, for us to act in a socially moral and ethical way.
      We are social primates. We are little better than our pithecine ancestors in terms of relative morals.
      All it takes is our primitive brains with our primitive social instincts, an upbringing where social mores are learned, and the instinct for self-preservation, clan-type instincts, the ability to feel sympathy (part of being a predator), empathy (part of our social structure oriented instincts), and feedback to reinforce and teach these instincts into culturally-accepted channels.
      That's just a rough outline.
      There are NO moral "absolutes", like a rock with magical properties or a book with magical words.
      A child can be raised by wolves (and this has happened).
      Such a child develops, in the absence of human nurturing, wolf-type values, mannerisms, and never develops the ability to speak.
      Would you say such a child "knew" human-type values of good vs evil when they were born?
      Yet without humanized interactions growing up, a child is not likely to adopt humanized values. Why? Because the human brain develops according to its genetic code using available nutrients and enhanced by similar-functioning interactions from other creatures, human or not.
      As atheists raised by loving people, our brains develop into loving brains. There are no rulebooks needed for this.
      You seem convinced that without the Bible, we all have zero ethics, zero morals.

You could not be more wrong.

April 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  2. Dennis

Replying to "facepalm"...Seems you choose not to believe that the scriptures of the Bible are the words of God. Oh well...Life turns out by the choices we make or do not make. I can only tell you that I too was lost just like you but I know the change in me when i sincerely asked Jesus into my heart and now I do not have to wonder about our existence as a "species" but now as a child of God. No longer think that we are on an "average" planet but that we are living on what God created extraordinary. Nor do i have to feel lost like you and feel we're just floating around among "billions" of other galaxies with no sense of purpose
    "Facepalm" When you are ready to choose Christ you will finally be enlightened to all truth and no longer be so lost like some average species lost in the galaxy.

April 30, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • *facepalm*

".Seems you choose not to believe that the scriptures of the Bible are the words of God"

Correct. I would think that an omnipotent and omnibenevolent being wouldn't be ok with people owning se.x slaves.

April 30, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

i wonder why the tower of babel was 'too tall' and god chose to punish mankind by dividing us up in different languages, when we have buildings much taller nowadays and have even been to the moon and fly around in airplanes?

i suppose he changed his mind?
      maybe he ran out of god batteries and needs a recharge?
      what could possibly be another explanation for it?

April 30, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  3. Mike

@outoftheblue-ya it's a fairy tale ya right. Can't you people think of something new to say. That's right everything here on earth got her out of no where. Just one day people,animals,and everything else just got here. Ya have fun in hell:)

April 30, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • outOfTheBlue

I'll say something new when there is some evidence to back you up. Hows that!

April 30, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • BRC

@Mike,
      People who don't believe in creationism believe that over the course of billions of years the immutable laws of physics gradually drove the materials that make up the observable universe to create increasingly complex building blocks (the natural tendency of all things to move towards entropy) until finally achieving life and later sentience.

Creationists believe that one day an unknowable being said "Bam" and then *poof* everything existed.

Which side are you criticising again?

April 30, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • Hypocrite detector

"Ya have fun in hell:)"

Very christian of you.

April 30, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • TR6

“Just one day people,animals,and everything else just got here”

Your lack of education is astounding. Are you naturally this stupid or did you have to work at it?

April 30, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • Jeanine

Mike, y'all gots to git yerself a wimmenz and stay away from them corn squeezins. Y'aller soundin lika dupity doo...

April 30, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Mike: Read a book on evolution. It will simplify things for you. Your buybull is 2000 years old and yet makes claims that the earth is 6000 years old but yet science can accurately predict within a .03% accuracy that the earth is more like 4.5 billion years old. By believing the creation story means you support incest.

April 30, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  4. Raf Fak

Joe Pece deserves a mention here.

April 30, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • a reasonable athiest

Ah, Pesci...

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little [mess]ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ******* amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

May 4, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  5. Milton

The voice of God is ultimately unknowable. However, I think we can all pretty much agree that Zeus sounds just like Marlon Brando, at least that's what I hear when I have my medications adjusted correctly and my special hat is tuned to the right frequency.

April 30, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  6. M.E.

My inner monologue has an Brummie accent but other than that, I hear no voice of god for I am not schizo, thank you.

April 30, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  7. B

it sounds like a bunch of suckers sitting in a building with high ceilings giving their money away.

April 30, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  8. Ralph the Wonder Llama

Graham Chapman is obviously the voice of god.

April 30, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  9. Edgar Friendly

If you attributed the voices to anybody but God everybody would consider you crazy. Funny how sanity works.

April 30, 2012 at 10:35 am |
  10. Joe or Providence

Everyone knows that he sounds like a trumpet sort of like the grownups in Charlie Brown but a lot louder and angrier.

April 30, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  11. ATPMSD

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace

– John Lennon

April 30, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • Dennis

Great! Get your spiritual guidance from a hippy...that's hilarious! Choosing Imagination instead of salvation...it is obvious once again that man "thinks" he created himself and God just laughs. Get your head out of the peace pipe Cheech!

April 30, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • Joe or Providence

Yes, when I was a small child I was always imagining things then I grew up and actually had to figure out solutions – its really easy to imagine but making it reality is a lot harder. Maybe John could have put some thought in how to accomplish his dreams.

April 30, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • *facepalm*

@Dennis,

Better than getting morals from a being which frequently kills and commands others to kill in their name.

April 30, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • momoya

John did "do.". He was a poet/minstrel.. He wrote an enduring song that people can easily remember.. If John's livelihood had been painting, he would have painted images to bring the issue in front of us..

April 30, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • AGuest9

Unless you're Cee Lo Green, then you change the words around so it no longer means the same thing.

April 30, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • Dennis

@ facepalm

God never instructs people to kill "in his name" that is radical Muslims. In the Old Testament God had "laws" in place to have final authority rule over his creation. Once they broke those laws they had to reap the consequences and often that meant death. Today even though we are no longer under the law but grace through Jesus dying for us, those principles are still there...if you "choose" to be rebellious and do bad things then do not be surprised when the reprocussions of your actions come back to you and lead to your death. Your God John Lennon called that Karma...that's hilarious once again!

April 30, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • *facepalm*

"In the Old Testament God had "laws" in place to have final authority rule over his creation. Once they broke those laws they had to reap the consequences and often that meant death. "

So, if you broke gods laws, you had to be put to death. How is that NOT killing in gods name? Jesus, how dense can you be?

And why are the OT laws no longer valid? Why is your god such a moral relativist?

April 30, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • *facepalm*

Also, if you actually READ your bible, you'll see that Deuteronomy has multiple passages instructing the Hebrews to kill non-believers in the name of god.

It appears that radical islam and the bible have much in common.

April 30, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • BRC

@Dennis,
      Actually, "God" did tell Moses to have the Hebrews kill aevery single man woman and child (well, they were allowed to keep the unwed women) in several cities during their pillaging years. Not only did he order these genocides, when people didn't commit them, either through fear of the battle or pity for the enemy, he killed them; usually with fire. Sorry, but in the OT, "God" absolutely orders people to kill- when he doesn't feel like just doing it himself.

April 30, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • TR6

@Dennis:”God never instructs people to kill "in his name"

And Moses said unto them “Have ye saved all the women alive?... Now therefore Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known a man by lying with him, but all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves” Num 31:1-2, 9-11, 14-18.

April 30, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

@Dennis: So the following is not from your buybull? You did say to facepalm that the buybull is the word of god....right? Your comments are evidence of your lack of having read the buybull.

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)
      You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)
      "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)
      A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)
      Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)
      If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)
      All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)
      If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)
      A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)
      Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)
      They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)
      If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

April 30, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  12. outOfTheBlue

Karen Spears Zacharias says...
    "We all have had days when we feel like we’ve failed God."

Well, I don't because I don't believe in a god. That's a pretty arrogant statement for her to make about all of us.

April 30, 2012 at 10:28 am |
  13. Colin Morgan

So many one-liners, so little time.

April 30, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  14. schtinky

god sounds like elmer fudd to me... fwire and bwimstone

April 30, 2012 at 10:26 am |
  15. Common Sense

Definatly not like a inbred ethiopian

April 30, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  16. Tru2USA

Wow CNN way to get a flame-war started and give an avenue for ignorant comments.

April 30, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • AGuest9

Just another day on the Belief Blog.

April 30, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  17. BillDee

What a crock. Pathetic and utterly brain-washed people.
    You'd be further ahead carrying a rabbit's foot with you.

April 30, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • justageek

Why?

April 30, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • Dennis

Brain washed? "Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind" is more like it. You non-believers have yet to be transformed in your "self" absorbed thinking. you still think it's all about you, actually it's what Jesus did for you that gives you your life. By the way, I certainly didn't evolve from a monkey but maybe some did and that's why they can't get it ?
      To the point of God's voice...it will sound like your own conscious in your inner man...but he speaks most through the Bible scriptures into your spirit. he will use other means, people, situations, events, etc.. to speak to us also. But one must be spiritual discerning to know his voice. "MY sheep hear my voice and will answer to no other". 1st be sure you are HIS then you'll hear from him often in many ways because he is not limited... after all he is GOD!
      Just for fun...I imagine if God had an audible voice he'd sound like Sean Connery and sing like Elvis Presley. haha.

April 30, 2012 at 10:35 am |
    • *facepalm*

" you still think it's all about you,"

That's hilarious coming from someone who thinks they have personal conversations with the creator of the universe. The non-believers tend to have the outlook that we're just a single species on a rather average planet orbiting a very average star in a suburban part of the galaxy, which is just one of several billion.

April 30, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • momoya

That's pretty much the definition of "brain washed.". You've read the scriptures about "washing your mind with the water of the word?"

April 30, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • AGuest9

"If evolution is correct (ape into humans) then why haven't we evolved into something else by now?"

Planning on hanging out a few million years to watch, or you are expecting to wake up next Tuesday as another animal?

April 30, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • BRC

@Dennis,
      I am an atheist, and I don't think anything other then my own life is about me. I am a tiny spec in a near infinite universe, I take joy from living a good life for the sake of a good life, and eventually I die, that's about it.

You're right that you didn't evolve from a monkey, you evolved from an earlier form of human, who evolved from an ancient form of primates. As of your statement "why haven't we evolved into something else by now"; evolution is quite clear if you can understand it. 1) we have evolved, we've become larger then we were hundreds of years ago, we have changed teh way our bodies interact with the environment, and we have seen a measurable trend in occuring genetic traits. Moreover, you're not going to see a massive change in human form due to Darwinian evolution, because as of now we are idealized for survival in the world we've crafted. We have made a life that keeps people that would have died off on their own alive, that stunts the effects of survival of the fittest, adn slows our species evolution. Humanity keeps us human (short version).

Your conjectures about voice and messages are purely interpreation; you see it as "God" anyone else can see it as many other things. I've read much of the Bible, if "God' was saying anything it would have been an incredulous groan at what people came up with.

April 30, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • Wow

"If evolution is correct (ape into humans)"

Thanks for proving you don't have the slightest clue what the theory of evolution says. Hint: If you don't know what you're talking about, it's probably best to keep your trap shut.

April 30, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

@Dennis: Your lack of understanding of evolution is humorous. We come from a common ancestor, not directly from apes themselves. 99% of everything to have ever existed has gone extinct, we may be around for another million years before we go extinct or we may never go extinct...no way to tell for sure. What we do know is that the sun will eventually burn out (approximately 5 billion years from now) and this planet will no longer be able to sustain life of any form. Evolution does not only pertain to man but to everything that surrounds us. In order for you to be correct you need to provide factual evidence based on the scientific method for your god, until then it is safe to say your god does not exist. Atheists care what the truth is, theists don't.

April 30, 2012 at 10:54 am |
  18. Bubba

what a waste of time....

April 30, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • Knew Karen in the ole days

Anything coming from Karen generally is.

April 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  19. Rynomite

Spock would have said it is illogical to believe in a mythological being and to wonder what it's voice sounded like.

April 30, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • lolwut

I know, right?

April 30, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • Trinka

Lol....

April 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  20. samuraikatana1

I love how everytime there's a religious story it has at least 5 times the comments of any other story of the day. For the record, I don't believe in God, never have. However, I do appreciate CNN for publishing these religious almost daily. They've basically turned their comments section into the new Ground Zero between the believers and non-believers. Makes for an interesting read every morning at work 😉 .

April 30, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Trinka

Well, this IS the 'Belief Blog', after all, what did you expect?

April 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • samuraikatana1

Didn't say I was expecting anything, just stating an observation. No need to be defensive...

April 30, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • Mike

Don't believe in god you people are funny. You people just think we got here out of no where. What a sad life people who don't believe in god must have.

April 30, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • AGuest9

Tired of them blathering all over the science blogs with their ancient book ramblings. Might as well push back!

April 30, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • Wow

"What a sad life people who don't believe in god must have."

Why would you think its a sad life? I've never been more satisfied and happy since dropping my faith.

April 30, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • outOfTheBlue

@Mike,
      Not again. Another one who thinks that you need to believe a fairy tale to have a happy life.

April 30, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • *facepalm*

" You people just think we got here out of no where."

I don't know where we came from. It's typical of believers, though, to have to try and "know" everything. We don't know what preceeded the big bang – we don't even have the math to describe the singularity that is the big bang. 'I don't know' is an honest answer – I fail to see why believers can't accept that.

April 30, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

"What a sad life people who don't believe in god must have."

Not at all. Since realizing the whole god thing is bat sh!t crazy and that there is no evidence that points to an afterlife, I live a much more fulfilled life. Every minute is enjoyed to its fullest because I am well aware of how precious this one guaranteed life really is.

April 30, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • Jeanine

It would have FIFTY times as many comments if they'd get rid of that damn filter and just hire some smart kid to moderate the blogs. But, no, can't do anything like that. That might create a job or something and suck the money right out of some executive bonus. Nope. Can't have that.

April 30, 2012 at 11:27 am |