home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Rational Libertarian

I really can't tell if this article is satirical or the ramblings of a psychopath.

April 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • Max Powers

I think you are lying.

April 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
  2. Rational Libertarian

I really can't tell if this article is facetious or the ramblings of a psychopath.

April 30, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  3. Rational Libertarian

I really can't tell if this article is facetious or the ramblings of a maniac.

April 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  4. Bob Lewis

God's trying desperately to speak with us all the time, we've just chosen not to listen. The voice is in the silence, not in the incessant noise we call our thoughts. How do you hear Him? The instruction manual has been around a few thousand years. Simply, "Be still and know that I am God." What is He? "I am that I am." He's right here, hiding as everything.

April 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • just sayin

Wow, reread what you posted and think about it. You are one of those scary people out there,

April 30, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Hitchens

It appears to be another fraudulent just sayin post

April 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • One one

That makes no sense. If god can do anything, and he wants Us to hear him, he should just come right out and say it ! Instead all we get is hooky testimonials of people claiming they hear god speaking to them. No one else hears it.

So what is the most likely scenario? The magic creator of the universe is speaking to a few people privately? OR, everything these people are "hearing" is simply conjured up in their own minds.

April 30, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
  5. Lucifer's Evil Twin

Bender, definately Bender...

April 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  6. Robert Hagedorn

Google First Scandal;.

April 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  7. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things..

April 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • Jesus

You're a proven liar. Prayer doesn’t not; you are such a LIAR. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!*!,

April 30, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  8. Atheist Hunter

Wow! It's an atheist nest! Spending their lives on this blog bashing a God they don't believe in. Imagine that!

April 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • ....

"Spending their lives on this blog bashing a God "

Spending your life on this blog bashing a Atheists. How's that log doing in your eye?

April 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • One one

Well, you know, sacred cows make the best hamburger.

April 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
  9. just sayin

My God sounds like Daffy Duck. I hear him when I run around in my Jesus diapers and jump up and hang on a pole with my arms outstretched to recieve the love of my lord. God Bless

April 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  10. Dave Bradshaw

My imaginary voice claims she is god, and says all those male voices are really Satan pretending to be her. So I asked her, "Is someone crazy if they claim to hear imaginary voices?" She answered, "Usually they are liars claiming to be religious." So I asked her, "Is someone crazy if they actually hear imaginary voices?" She said, "They certainly are crazy".

April 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  11. Nii

This emotional maturity allows us to live ethical n fulfilled lives in this life n allows us in2 His Presence after Judgement.
    What can you do?
    Well I meditate by worrying over
    I love God with all my life
    I love myself
    n
    I love my neighbor as myself
    cos God loves us all His Life.
    You can seek urs.

April 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • sam stone

"I love my neighbor as myself"

Yet you want them to have lesser rights than you. How fvcking loving of you

April 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Nii

If marriage was a right everyone could demand that the state funds their wedding. I don't think priviledges are rights. If you use the word 'rights' for a priviledge it is an attempt to demean the hard fought rights that we have fought to preserve for posterity. I love gays as myself.

April 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • sam stone

smokescreen there, Nii: who is suggesting anyone "fund" anyone else's marriage? equal protection under the law is a RIGHT (check the 4th amendment). you remain a bigot.

April 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Nii

Yes so why does Obama alone get to use the Secret Service?

April 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • sam stone

Nii: First of all, he is president. Secondly, it is not him alone that gets Secret Service protection. His family does, as do othes running for president. If someone were to deny another otherwise qualified citizen the ability to get married based on the color or their skin, or their eye color, would you consider THAT bigotry?

April 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • sam stone

Also, Nii: The state does not fund the weddings of straight people, so (yet again), your argument is invalid

April 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • One one

I don't believe you. No one loves everyone. If they did, they would be insane. I think you are claiming you love your neighbor only because your religion says that is what you are supposed to do and you are claiming to be a devout follower.

April 30, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  12. kennyleonard

God was talking to Andrea Yates, too. I live in San Diego, and God told a guy to sacrifice his son at a cemetery here recently, so he slashed his 8-year old son's forearms. God told a guy in San Bernardino to cut off his hand back in March. I wonder what pop culture figure "God" sounded like to those people. This article is disgusting and sick. This type of dialogue is shameful and has no place in modernity. I can't figure out why CNN would publish something like this. Karen, this desperate call for attention is pathetic, and this irresponsible article encourages a kind of thinking that is truly harmful to people.

April 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Max Powers

Yup!

April 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  13. Marco

My god sounds like.... nothing. I don't believe in imaginary friends since I was 5 years old

April 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Tom's brother Perry

Correction....God doesn't sound like anything to you.

April 30, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  14. Nii

Glad to see the atheist posse lying in wait for their victims. Sad waste of time.

April 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • sam stone

Nii: You are a bigot. Go have biblical knowledge of yourself, boy

April 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • Jeanine

Aha!
      Gotcha!
      Reach for the sky you yellow-livered varmint!
      And no funny business! This is a fully loaded reply!

April 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • A Chair To Your Face

How long have you and Ray Comfort been banging each other?

April 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • Nii

How beautiful are the feet of them that bring good tidings!

April 30, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Nii

Now you guys look closely at the reply to my comment. What is making you so angry. Anger does not encourage critical thinking! The surest antidote to this kind of anger is to love and respect the other person as yourself. Not that hard to do and makes u feel better and think better.

April 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • Nii

Really sad to hear someone speak of Ray Comfort in such derogaatory terms. It proves however that he is doing something right. And He is right too. If you obey God's commands to accept Christ and be saved He grants u eternal life. Eternal life is not immortality but emotional maturity from God.

April 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • sam stone

Another arrogant bigot purporting to speak for god.

April 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Nii

SAM STONE
      BIBLE KNOWLEDGE 101
      Let these thoughts dominate your thinking
      I love God with all my life
      I love myself
      and
      I love my neighbor as myself
      because God loves us all as himself with all His Life.
      You will then understand the Bible. Even all your objections cannot defeat this. It does work!

April 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Nii

These things can even work for an Atheist. I hope you do try. As to me being an arrogant bigot your replies to my post are enough evidence against u not me. You can be happy with me or not. However I don't think I speak for God. I speak about Him. I don't think you do speak for HIM so relax.

April 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Nii

SAM STONE
      Sometimes you amaze me! Why wud I want my neighbor to have lesser rights. Rights are not leglislations. Rights are natural. Who do I want to have lesser rights anyways n don't tell me its gay marriage again. Its an American issue. If u ask me my opinion I'll give it but I've zero influence

April 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • outOfTheBlue

Nii,
      You just wrote:
      "because God loves us all as himself with all His Life."
      That sounds like you are speeking for God to me.

April 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Nii

How can you try to say I'm speaking for God because of a phrase? It is what I said it is. A thought. Not a speech. If you can think it I can't explain fully but it helps emotionally. Ok

April 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • outOfTheBlue

I sense back-peddling. You did write that ... and it was speaking for god. And that is arrogance. It just is.

April 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Nii

Back-peddling where? Also speaking for God is not wrong. If u want to you can too. Its free. In this instance I was telling you about God. If that in your opinion is speaking for God fine. If it is speaking for god then I just don't do that.

April 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • outOfTheBlue

Telling us what god thinks is speaking for god, Nii.

April 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • max33333445555

you sure do talk alot for someone that says nothing...

April 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  15. Reality

HEAR YE ! HEAR YE ! HEAR YE ! said the gods of rational thinking:

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (References used are available upon request.)
    888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

April 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Marco

Even the carpenter part deserves some scrutiny: that part of the world was and still is notorious for it's lack of forests and trees. Only very rich people could afford importing wood.

April 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Electric Larry

The original word that has been adjusted to be "carpenter" actually meant "manual laborer." But "carpenter" sounds so craftsman-like and honorable, when in reality he was a rock-stacker.

April 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Reality

Not many NT passages pass rigorous, historic scrutiny. The following passages do.

Mark 6:3

3 Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph,[a] Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.

Matt 13: 55

55 Is not this the carpenter's son?

Some NT translations use "craftsman" in place of "carpenter"

For added details about the historic accuracy of the above, see Professor Gerd Ludemann's analysis and conclusions in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, pp. 38-40 and pp. 694-695.

April 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  16. 1nd3p3nd3nt

i think the author of "what does god sound like?" should read the "analytic thinking can decrease religious belief" piece.

April 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Karen Spears Zacharias

Awful lot of syllables in those words you used. Can you translate?

April 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  17. Duane Allen

Wow... where to start on this nonsense. Karen, what I think you're assuming to be "God's" voice is just the product of talking to yourself and a cacophony of sounds echoing around in your empty cranium.

April 30, 2012 at 11:45 am |
  18. politicallyinsurrect

I don't even know who's replying to whom anymore. I love it when the origin of life and the universe can elicit such emotions from people and cause such controversy. I wonder if cosmologists burn each other at the stake and throw feces at each other while they're arguing over the mathematics of the "big bang."

April 30, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • momoya

Are you saying that people's words here are somehow "throwing feces" and "burning at the stake?".

April 30, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

most definitely : )
      history is ripe with examples of other scientists not just ridiculing other scientists, but driving them out of the field altogether. Check out the 'plum pudding' atomic model. Or how geologists treated Alfred Wegener in regard to his theory of tectonic plates. for awhile people thought the planets' orbits had to circular, and the models for the planets looked ridiculous until they finally figured out that they were not circular but elliptical.

humans are the same no matter where you go, the only thing science has going for it is that you can repeat the experiment. eventually it even turns skeptics into believers if they can see it for themselves again and again. When it comes to non-repeatable theory, you'll see the same type of behavior, a la poo throwing : )

April 30, 2012 at 11:45 am |
      • politicallyinsurrect

I'm well aware of all of those examples. I just don't see Einstein waging a crusade against Heisenberg. Good point though.

April 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Good

I always thought that scientific battles should be handled in a way that absolutely proves who is right, and would make for great television. In olden times, the winner of this contest was known to be right simply for having won. It is the answer.

Jousting.

Scientists on horseback, lots of armor and a long lance. Dark ever-expanding universe or Big Crunch? CLANG!!!! It's The Dark Knight of the Dark Universe!!

Great television, better than NASCAR, Pepsi advertising on lab coats, and great shows from the Chaos Theory Cheerleaders!

April 30, 2012 at 11:56 am |
      • politicallyinsurrect

I challenge you to a duel, so I can prove without a shadow of a doubt, that the big bang was really god farting.

April 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

lol, i think we should have a duel over which line is better to start a duel with:
      have at ye!
      or
      come at me bro!

April 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Get It Right

Here is the correct way to start a duel, according to the internationally revered "Barney Fife's Guide To Duelling"

"I will count to ten. We both walk away from each other. When I reach ten, we will turn and shoot. Ready? One. Two. BANG! Three . . . did you want me to finish?

April 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  19. Adam

"God talks to me all the time."

This woman is sick. She very well may have a brain tumor. If you hear voices in your head talking to you, you are unwell. Get this woman to a hospital, and get God out of her poor head!

April 30, 2012 at 11:28 am |
  20. Mike

outoftheblue-Crazy people like you just find so hard to believe in god don't know why.

April 30, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • BRC

It's kiond of hard to read that sentence and actually get teh meaning (I make a lot of typos when I'm typing quickly too so no worries, but some punctuation might have helped)- but if I understand your question correctly, the answer simple. there is no proof of gods, so there is no reason to believe in them. Makes it easy for us to not believe, while the questionable motives and condemable actions of many of the world's religions through history makes it hard for us to believe.

April 30, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • outOfTheBlue

@Mike,
      You can call me crazy. The proof is in what others think of your assesment. I am not afraid of my non-belief. I welcome intelectual challanges to this non-belief. It is what has led me to it in the first place!

How about you?