home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. REALLY CNN?

HEY ATHEIST! WHAT IF YOU ARE WRONG..............ask us if were wrong then nothing happens we go into the great abyss of nothing lol............BUT IF YOUR WRONG............wow :*(

May 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • mburg6761

I'm an atheist myself but I'll put aside my viewpoints regarding the whole deity thing aside except for one question. Why, oh why, was Morgan Freeman left off of this list? Other voices that seem pretty obvious choices to me: Peter Cullen (Yes, Optimus Prime.), Bob Ross, Hugo Weaving, Charleton Heston, Liam Neeson, Ian McKellen, Michael Gambon, Justin Wilson (Host of a Creole Cooking Show back in the 80's on public television...) Not that I disagree with any of the choices here but... ;D

May 3, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • Mister Jones

If I am wrong, then I burn in a Lake of Fire for all of eternity because my "father" did a really bad job of consolidating the rules. Therefore, for my 40 (as of now), maybe 60, 70, or even 90 years of existence on this planet, I am going to suffer for 90 million years, wait ... 900 million years, and then we will just be getting started. 5 billion years later, I may realize the error of my ways, but it will be far too late!! I will be there forever!!! ... Which is an incomprehendible amount of time, so what were you saying again? Forever is a timespan that makes sense to children, and children only.

May 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Steven Harrison

To answer your "what if you're wrong" question, in the spirit in which it has been asked;
      If a Christian is right, they get to go to Heaven.
      If a Christian is wrong and an Atheist is right, you just die and that's the end.
      However,
      If an Atheist is right, they just die and that's the end,
      But if an Atheist is wrong they go to Hell.
      So by your logic, it makes more sense to be a believer in that the odds are more in your favor.
      I could tell you this is a very paltry way to live one's life, and that IF God does exist, He knows YOU'RE just choosing because the odds are better. Consequently, such a God will throw you into Hell for not REALLY believing.
      But consider this;
      There are over 1,000 Religions in the world with over a million adherents. OVER 1,000. And only 1 or NONE can be correct.
      This means your chances of being correct are at BEST, LESS than 1 in a 1,000
      Given such lousy odds, you might want to consider living for what you ACTUALLY believe instead of treating Faith like a cheap poker game.

May 3, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  2. Sarda

Please read this book " The Philosophy of Divine love" by H.D. Swami Prakashanand Saraswati. You all will find answers to your questions and concerns.

May 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  3. Ed Sledge

Karen, like all people to hear God or talk to God, you are delusional.

May 3, 2012 at 10:53 am |
  4. steve

i think your psychiatrist can prescribe medication to take care of your mental disorder, i mean hearing voices sounds tragic, attributing them to a "god" is dillussional at best.

May 3, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  5. Caroline

I think this concept of hearing the voice of God is so interesting. I believe that God exists but I struggle heavily with faith and the proof of his power and presence. I've known other people to say they actually hear a voice, and I wonder, knowing the type of person that I am, why God doesn't just speak to me outright so that I will know without a doubt that it is Him speaking to me. I've also heard the premise that God speaks through people, and I'm more inclined to believe that, because it's more realistic to me. However, if that's true, then you truly have to have the gift of discernment to decipher whether or not it is truly a "message from God" or just Tyrone speaking his mind. And I think that's where faith comes in, because people who believe that God speaks to them and has a plan and purpose for their life simply believe it, independent of reasoning that might say otherwise. I've never been one to talk against another person's religion, so if the author believes that God speaks to her, I respect it. But I wish that I had the clarity that she seems to have, because for me, it is very much a clouded pool of doubt.

May 3, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • Steven Harrison

I'm an Atheist who for many years was a Born-Again Christian, and frankly, it sounds like you just need a little push to be willing to consider Atheism. It's not nearly as negative as most people think, as most Atheists don't believe there's no God, we simply don't possess the belief that there IS one. What's the difference? Well, frankly, it means that Atheists are fine with there being a God, fine with there being an afterlife, fine with there being a rich, meaningful spiritual world, but the world Religions by no means seem to represent such a force and such a spiritual world if it exists.
      If conceptually this seems strange, think of "belief" as a commodity that you can pick up and carry around in your hands. Atheists don't like touching or handling this "commodity" called belief because it's so incredibly UNRELIABLE when it comes to determining what's ACTUALLY the Truth. So we don't mess with it. We don't pick it up and we don't carry it around. Consequently, we also don't "use" belief in the negative sense, either. I, for instance, don't believe God doesn't exist. Again, this is because belief is unreliable. This ISN'T Agnosticism, by the way, but there really isn't time to get into that.
      My advice? Just spend six months or so living your life AS THOUGH there isn't this personal, interacting God. I think over time you'll agree it's a more rational approach to the situation we humans find ourselves in. It also makes suffering, tragedy, death, etc. a lot easier to understand. Good luck.

May 3, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  6. David

I wonder how it is that religion does not improve the religious one iota. I can only imagine how they would be were they not so religious.

May 3, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  7. David

You religious whackjobs please keep your religion to yourself or at least ask your god to forget your soul and feed the starving billions. What a hateful god you nut worship. (Won't even feed the starving.)

May 3, 2012 at 10:37 am |
  8. David

It's not god talking to you but the craziness in your brain. If you hear voices go see a psychiatrist.

May 3, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  9. Jokesterer

He sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait.

May 3, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  10. billbugbee

Me too! Me too! I am on the downhill side of the bell curve of life. I have come to realize that a chunk of God is in each of us. Many call it the Holy Spirit. Read Peter Russell. He explains it well. So God speaks to me through others and so does Satan often more than the Holy Spirit. And Satan can be very persuasive. Ask Eve or one of our Wall Street banksters.

May 3, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • Which God?

Carl Sagan’s Baloney Detection Kit:
      Is a set of tools that skeptical thinkers use to investigate any new concept. A few tools include: a healthy distrust of information that isn’t independently verified, critically assessing an idea rather than becoming irrationally attached to it simply because it’s intriguing, and a preference for simpler explanations over wildly speculative ones

May 3, 2012 at 11:48 am |
  11. cosprons

all civilizations have some type of creation myth. it is my hope that one day man will overcome this vacuous necessity for some type of supreme being, zeus forbid!!!

May 3, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • Ed Sledge

Right on!

May 3, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  12. D V

She is indeed blessed.

May 3, 2012 at 2:36 am |
  13. Kyle

Karen Spears Zacharias, have you ever asked God why he doesn't speak to other people? Like Patti Callahan Henry, for example?

May 3, 2012 at 2:28 am |
  14. a visiting alien

clearly most everyone here has missed the point that the author of the article is making. She doesn't mean that she literally hears God's voice. She means that God speaks to her through different people and in different ways. A mother's rebuke, a father's encouragement, the unlikely parallels drawn between Yoda and Buddhism; these are the ways that she perceives that God speaks to her. It's too bad so many of us have to view life in a manner so very narrow sighted, as to immediately jump to insulting conclusions toward our more intuitive counterparts, i.e the conclusion that she must be mentally ill.

May 2, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Loc-nar

LOL
      She IS mentally ill! Are you thinking she's sane? LOL

That means you are also insane. Just because you share a psychotic delusion, doesn't make it real or true.

May 2, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Kyle

So why does she call it an audible voice? Why the talk of burning bushes? Almost every line in the article suggests that you're wrong and it's not just a metaphorical voice of God.

May 3, 2012 at 2:32 am |
    • David

I see what you mean, she imagines stuff and then lends it credence. I see. I see.

May 3, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • ElmerGantry

Apologist answer.

May 5, 2012 at 8:51 am |
  15. jamessavik

When God is talking to you, it means that you have forgotten to take your medication you crazy git.

May 2, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • David

Good one James.

May 3, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  16. brian

if you hear voices you are insane. faith or believing that a voice is a god's voice is a sign of being delusional.

May 2, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
  17. mlblogssignedhofbaseballsmuseum

Isn't this all just a sign of schizophrenia?

May 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • David

It sure is.

May 3, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  18. fromtheid

Karen, do you know how infantile you sound? Take a first year psychology course and learn to look at the real world and the people in it with some form of intellectual and emotional maturity.

'Voice of God'? I do believe that is your own thoughts coloured by your own life experiences. No god required, only your brain, working as a human brain must.

Seriously, I know this comes across as insulting to you. But to hear things like "when the voice of God goes silent" is just eye-rollingingly rediculous. No external 'voice' powered by an external omniscient intelligence has ever spoken to you in your head, Karen. It's only your mind, your intellect, your emotions, your experiences, your neurons, your body.

No external 'voice' has ever spoken to me, and no external voice ever will, no matter how many sermons I go to, how many psalms I read, prayers I say, etc etc. The voices in my head are all mine and I am responsible for them, just as they are yours. Take ownership of your thoughts and feelings, be proud of them. And take pride in the thoughts and feelings of your fellow man, for they are not 'the voice of God', but the voice of Humanity realizing all it's wondrous potential, for good or ill.

Delight in the voice of your species Karen, for we are all that we have. Cherish us, love us, honor us, nourish us and encourage us. Don't detract from humanity's will and ability by placing responsibility for our deeds at the foot of an imaginary Father figure. You do me, yourself, all of us a dis-service.

May 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
  19. EDJ

I think God speaks to some of us (who do not hear voices) through intuition.

May 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Jeff

then by the very nature of intuition, God must sometimes be wrong.

May 2, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • David

You mean you hope that's what it is.

May 3, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  20. Beth

I hear my God's voice all the time. I see Him sometimes, too. Have I PHYSICALLY seen Him? Not yet, but I will. Nomatter, though, I don't equal God's voice to an actor's/actresses' voice or even to my Mother's. His voice is His own. There are people out there that haven't personally heard His voice, but that doesn't mean that He doesn't ever talk to people. ^^

May 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • momoya

BEth, what do you think of people who worship a completely different god than you do, but report the exact same words as you just gave?

May 2, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • David

There is still hope for you Beth. Please don't join the delusional. That just makes you crazy.

May 3, 2012 at 10:34 am |