home
RSS
April 30th, 2012

Dan Savage offends teens with Bible bash

(CNN)–Christian teens walked out on a speech by author/activist Dan Savage when he spoke out against parts of the Bible.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Homosexuality

« Previous entry
  1. funweddingthemes

This guy is a jerk. He used his platform to take out his resentments on a bunch of high school kids. Only a coward fights with children.

April 30, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Actually, I believe it was one line. It was a crappy line, but no, this was not a sustained attack on a bunch of kids.

April 30, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • VanHagar

So, Dan, if I call you a f*g just one time, then its not that big of a deal?

May 1, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • VanHagar

Or more to the point, if I as a adult call a kid a F*g just one time then its not anything to worry about?

May 1, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • b4bigbang

Oh. Not sustained, just a hit and run like Pearl Harbor.

May 1, 2012 at 1:33 am |
    • momoya

Actually, I would WANT someone to say to me what Dan said.. All he did was point out that christians ALREADY don't practice the parts of their bible that tell them to own sl.aves and k.i.ll their children for accidently talking back to their parents, and then point out that if you're going to do that, you might as well ignore what it says about k.i.lling gays..

He pointed out christian hypocrisy; it's exactly what I would want someone to tell me so I could quit being a hypocrite.. There should be MORE speech like Sa.va.ge's!

May 1, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  2. Josh

I think the big issue here is that this guy s supposed to be an "anti bullying" advocate. Can you say hypocrite?

April 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • momoya

could you please point out the bullying? thx

April 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  3. Ellen

“You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom.” Matthew 5:10

“It is through many persecutions that we must enter the kingdom of God.” Acts 14:22.

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong” 2 Cor. 12:9 – 10

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you.” John 15:18-20 NIV

“In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” 2 Timothy 3:12 NIV

“Therefore, brothers, in all our distress and persecution we were encouraged about you because of your faith.” 1 Thessalonians 3:7

April 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • Dansgointohell

He's trash. Thats all there is to it

April 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • momoya

You don't seem to understand what "persecution" is.. You see, there was this guy, up on a stage, saying words, some people didn't like the words, so they walked out..

April 30, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
  4. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
    Proven .

April 30, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Ben

What do you mean proven? Have things ever changed after someone prayed? Sure. But it has also rained after people have done rain dances.

April 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

If by "prayer" you mean repeating a simple mantra mindlessly at your fellow human beings, then that would certainly explain your approach to these discussions.

April 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven
      powerful

April 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • multispectral

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
      Friedrich Nietzsche

April 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

I wonder if atheism is what made you post this way?

April 30, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
  5. just sayin

Interesting...I am straight and I don't recall it being a "choice". I don't have to first and think about whether I am attracted to a woman that I look at. Where does the "choice" come in with Christians? When they look at the opposite s e x...do they pause and go through a "making a choice process"? If you have to think about it to make a choice when looking at both...you might be BI S e xual. I guess there is a good chance of a lot of BI Christians

April 30, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Hitchens

It seems to be a fake just sayin post

April 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • just sayin

Nope, the fraud you are thinking of is a religious nut that goes by multiple names. I only post under this.

April 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • just sayin

Which the fraud is the only one ever accusing me of being fake...I am guessing we chall ad Hitchens to your list. lol

April 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • Hitchens

Please do

April 30, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  6. Bill

This man is nothing but a coward.enough said.

April 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Why, because he called someone names?

April 30, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Ben

Nothing like calling out a huge religion on the terrible things in their holy book to show someone is a coward! How dare he pick on those defenseless Christians by making valid points!

April 30, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  7. djzipp00

Dan this is no way to educate the public. Your bias towards Christians is far more grevious than the bias you are trying to alleviate. Wake up, please.

April 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Is it? Has he stopped people from getting married? Inspired any beatings? caused anyone to commit suicide? Yeah, he screwed up, but if his speech strikes you as worse than thebias of Christians, then that is a HIGHLY misplaced set of priorities.

April 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
  8. Granny

Today is the first time I have ever visited this site and I am amazed at all the sarcastic and hate filled comments. And surprise surprise they are aimed at Christians. Just reading through the comments shows who is intolerable and by these two pages it definitely is not the believers in Jesus. This site is open season on Christians. Sarcasm galore from most of the postings. Hang in there believers and remember what God said about a fool in his heart saying their is no God. You can't argue with a fool. They are lost in a world of unbelief and a lack of wisdom and knowledge.

April 30, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Granny-

Second that! Now, hurry back to your genuflection and incantations.

April 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • momoya

From one granny to another, you're not reading enough comments.. Some atheists are hateful here, but it pales in comparison to the hate from christians overall.

April 30, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Bob

You cant throw punch after punch at gays, tell us we are bad people, that we are going to hell, hold us down, beat us, refuse us equal rights, cause gay teens to kill themselves, and then cry foul when we start to fight back. We didn't start this, Christians did and as the bible says, you reap what you sow.

April 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • Granny

To...Really-O?

Everyone take notice Really-O? just positively confirmed my post.

April 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Granny

Bob

I've got news for you. Christians, real Christians do not hate gays. Real Christians don't do any of the things you mentioned. They love gays but hate the sin of their lifestyle. Stop putting bad people into the same category as Christians. And remember a Christian has the same right to believe differently than you do. Don't be so hateful and respect others opinions. I respect others views. They can be gay or not, believe in God or not. But this Christian bashing really needs to stop. There is coming a day when ALL of us will reap what we sow. Believe what you will.

April 30, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • taknastand

Hey, all you that claim to be gay and make remarks against the bible; stop using scripture from it validate your life style. Take this from the word of God, every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. All christians don't hate gays, we just don't condon the life style. All you lefties want to blame the right for everything. Remeber Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. God bless you.

April 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • just sayin

taknastand

Hey, all you that claim to be gay and make remarks against the book written by man; stop using scripture from it validate your life style. Take this from the word of Man, every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that a Men created the Lord. ...
      ...
      Now that is more realistic and truthful.

April 30, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • To Bob

Bob, don't you mean when you decide to "thlap" back? That's "slap" with a lisp.

Please don't go kill yourself because I said something mean to you....

April 30, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Primewonk

@ Granny – you wrote, "They love gays but hate the sin of their lifestyle."

Point 1 – It's an orientation, not a lifestyle.

Point 2 – Being born gay is no more a sin than being born left-handed. Just because you, and your god, choose to be purposefully ignorant about science, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Point 3 – "Love the sin, but hate the sinner" does not appear anywhere in your bible. In fact, it comes from Gandhi – a Hindu.

Point 4 – Your god, in fact, commands you to go and KILL gay folks. Perhaps you could point out where the love is in that?

May 1, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • Granny

@Primewonk..............Oh how little you know about God, Christians or the Bible. A short paragraph here can't help you. May the Lord send someone into your life who will show you the truth.

May 1, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  9. open your eyes

most people think it's ironic that he seemed to "bully" the christians at a anti-bully event, but what the real irony is that he was telling the christians thier own scripture and they didn't want to hear it. Christians are the number 1 bullys of gays. The bible is wrong about it being a sin. Just like the bible got it wrong about slavery and all the other horrible things. That's the part that christians can't handle.

April 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Frank Lee

The old testament is not Christianity. The teachings of Christ is. The fact people misuse the verses from the old testament (a history of the Jews prior to the birth of Christ) is no different than people misusing any written word, Catcher in the Rye for instance, to do bad things. I dare you to show me one statement in the Bible by Christ that supports his arguments. I'll save you time. It's not there.

April 30, 2012 at 6:27 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Lol, the old testament isn't Christianity? I'll remember that every time a Christian cites Old Testament Scripture at me over something.

April 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Dansgointohell

Come say that to my face and i'll send you to be judged.

April 30, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
    • GinBhamAl

Christianity doesn't condone bullying and persecution. If someone bullies, it isn't because they are a christian, it's because they don't understand the true nature of christianity. Christ was bullied. No one who understands what Christ stood for and truly accepts Him could be a bully.

April 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • GinBhamAl

The Old Testament doesn't represent Christianity. It's the Book of Laws that Christ came to fulfill and free us from. He fulfilled the Law for us. His prime Commandment was Love thy Neighbor. People tend to forget that.

April 30, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
  10. mike

This guy only wanted to speak to get his rocks off thinking about all the young boys he could molest...

April 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Shameless bigotry brought to you by... Mike.

April 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • Dansgointohell

comment below ... who cares? Mike is right.

April 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  11. K Bowers

What a bully.

April 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Comforting isn't it. Guess this means Christians are all off the hook.

April 30, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  12. Barb

Hypocritical – the one who speaks against bullies is the bully. Just as you don't want gay people generalized you should not generalize Christians. You are being a part of the problem. While we were yet sinners, Jesus died for us.

April 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • danielwalldammit

Could you please cite the generalization? ...and the proscription against generalizations?

April 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  13. Robert Hagedorn

Google First Scandal.

April 30, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  14. VanHagar

Lets not lose sight of the fact that this was an "adult" picking on kids. What a coward.

April 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • momoya

You do realize that most of can tell when even you don't believe what you're saying, right?

April 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  15. mickey1313

Boo hoo, he was making the point that people should be kind too each other, if the brain washed Christians are of filled with hatred not to see that, who cafes what these ignorant children think.

April 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • aretap

He was making a point about being kind to others by verbally shouting and denouncing entire religions without understanding them?
      Mmmm... That seems to be hypocritical, counter productive, and ignorant. He himself is deceitful!, he is talking to a group of young kids and trying to brain wash them with his own form of uneducated and discriminatory bias.

April 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • djzipp00

Hey Mickey, are you serious?

April 30, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
  16. Jimbo

What abuse? He's just pointing out flaws within their religion. Christianity is one of the most poisonous religion ever. It's a dangerous world when people still believe in a magical sky fairy and are willing to kill for it.

April 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • VanHagar

"What Abuse?" Really? An adult calling kids "pansy-asses" isn't abuse? Good to know.

April 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • momoya

When I was a child I was told many times that I was in danger of eternal, fiery torment from the being who was "All love" and "All goodness.". I'd rather have been called a p.......s, for sure.

April 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • Whatever

This pansy was calling children names and shouting vulgarities in their presence. The freak should be charged with child abuse

April 30, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Not even close

You should go to a Muslim country and announce that you are gay. We'll see if you still think Christianity is so awful as they are sawing off your head.

April 30, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • momoya

So the arguments are:

1. describing a person's actions AS "pansyazzed" is equivalent to child abuse.. (You realize kids see worse on their ipod sitting in the back of history class?)
      2. Christianity is so awesome for not cutting off a guy's head for saying certain WORDS.

Ummmmm...... sure....

April 30, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  17. AUGIE DOG

I am proud of the children who walked out on this man's ofensive speech. As a die-hard Christian, I have nothing against gay people. We are taught to hate the sin, but love the sinner. This angry man had an opportunity to show love but he chose to upset innocent people. I pray for his soul.

April 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Kayla

I would just like to say... AMEN! I am proud to call you my sibling in Christ.

April 30, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • Really-O?

@AUGIE DOG-
      So, Augie...since you love the sinner, do you grant him all of the rights and freedoms you have?

April 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • momoya

Love the deluded believer, hate the delusion.

April 30, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  18. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

April 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Jesus

Prayer doesn’t not; you are such a LIAR. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

April 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • mickey1313

yes it does. It brain washes people, it make s them ignorant arrogant and flat out stupid. Ps absence of evidence IS EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE.

April 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven,

April 30, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • just sayin

Prayer is evidence of psychosis

April 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Jesus

"Prayer changes things
      Proven,"

You're a proven liar.

April 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
  19. A Change I Can't Believe In

I'll pay for this guy to make a pro-gay speech in a town square in Iran. Let's see who the 'pansy-ass' really is!

April 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Granny

I don't have a lot of money but I'll help fund the town square meeting that "A Change I Can't Believe In" mentioned. That would be a very short meeting.

April 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • taknastand

I'll help fund that. Give him time to gather all his supporters.

April 30, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • Dansgointohell

He wouldnt do that near ME either... because i would send him to be judged

April 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  20. Martin

GOOD. I am proud of those who would not put up with such verbal abuse. Even people with a good message becomes a bully when they believe that what they believe is greater and somehow more important than what another might believe. If a speaker seeks to win respect, the act of respecting would go far. Social change is not easy and it is not quick and there is time to respect. My religious affiliation or lack of one grants me no special privelege to belittle another. Where we bump up against each other in places we do not agree, there is an opportunity to show respect and what kind of people we are. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone walked out to suport one another when one group is abused no matter what side of the issue you stand. Wouldn't that be cool.

April 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm |