home
RSS
May 1st, 2012

House candidate and rising GOP star is black, female - and Mormon

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - To call Mia Love a minority is an understatement. She’s a black woman who won an upset primary race to become the Republican candidate in Utah’s 4th Congressional District. If elected, she’d be the first black Republican congresswoman in the House of Representatives.

Love, who has attracted lots of national Republican support, also stands out because of her religion: She’s a Mormon. The politician is a poster child for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ campaign to present a more diverse face to a historically very white church.

“There are a lot of people who have tried to define me as a person,” Love, a daughter of Haitian immigrants, told CNN’s Kyra Phillips in an interview Tuesday. “I’m not a victim, and I don’t allow anybody to put me in a box.”

Speaking from Salt Lake City, she said, “There may be some challenges. But ... I love this place and love the people that are here, and I represent their beliefs and values.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Love is featured in a video series produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of its “I’m a Mormon” campaign, which aims to bring the faith of about 14 million members worldwide into the mainstream.

In the CNN interview, Love talked about how Mormonism would affect Mitt Romney’s candidacy more than her own, which is happening in the most Mormon state in the nation.

“You know I don’t think those are the issues that Americans really care about,” Love said when asked about the role of Romney’s religion in the presidential campaign. “I think Americans care about jobs, the economy; they care about the debt and deficit spending. … Being a Mormon is part of who he is as a person, and I don’t think it should deter from the issues.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Love’s “I’m a Mormon” video shows her working as the mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah, her current job.

“I am the mayor of Saratoga Springs and I love it,” she says in the video. “I get to make this life better for me and better for others.

“My friends from back home are always saying, ‘What are you doing in Utah?'” she says in the video, referring to her East Coast upbringing. “What they don’t know is that when I came here I felt accepted.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mormonism • Politics • TV-CNN Newsroom

soundoff (2,038 Responses)
  1. zip

hey Mormons, how come I can't find planet Kolob in my Bible? Planet Kolob is Mormon heaven for those who don't know. Now I remember, because the jailbird Joey Smith made it up. Oh look everyone, I found some golden tablets. Blasphemy.

May 2, 2012 at 12:48 am |
    • souptwins

So where is heaven, zip? do you know? Why wouldn't it be near a star names Kolob? sounds as likely as anything else.

May 2, 2012 at 12:53 am |
    • Johnny

zip – Why do you hate Mormons? Why do you viciously attack people who do not believe the same as you? If you come across someone you believe has an error in belief, do you always mock and belittle them? Is this what Jesus would do? Help me understand just what type of Christian you really are.

May 2, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • Brett

Why are you so obsessed with Kolob? Who cares what the name of the place God resides is? Heaven, Kolob, or any other name. It's just a label. BTW, the Bible is really old and has been through many translations and some editing. Try translating something some day and you will realize not everything translates 100% from language to language. Maybe something was omitted at some point? Nah, that would require some brain power on your part.

Hey, I have an idea... maybe you could check wiki?

May 2, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • nairb247

Could it be as crazy as a guy building an Ark for two of every animal? Or a guy parting a sea so millions of people could walk through it? Or how about a guy being swallowed by a whale and living?

It seems to me that if the Lord wants something to happen it could.

May 2, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • Kelly

Still spouting your bigotry I see. I thought that Libs were supposed to be above all that, but every time you post you prove the truth.., Just keep using that "zip" IQ of yours..

May 2, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  2. marctheduck

Liberals are unmasked here on CNN!!! Intolerance is their guiding philosophy! Every single one is bigoted and intolerant and most look like old fashioned racists here! Wow!

May 2, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • zip

Calm down, son. You're on tilt.

May 2, 2012 at 12:49 am |
    • souptwins

Now now. Lib's are very tolerant as long as you stay in the box they think you belong in.

May 2, 2012 at 1:00 am |
  3. marctheduck

Liberal intolerance for blacks and women... if they think for themselves! Bigots be here!!!

May 2, 2012 at 12:45 am |
  4. zip

The largest Mormon university is Brigham Young University, named after a founder of the church. He had 55 wives. Many were still married to their first husbands. He later divorced many of them. How are these people Christians??

May 2, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • zip

cuz nothing says women's rights like 55 wives

May 2, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Johnny

Zip – BY is not a founder. BY started the University of Utah, though you are correct, BYU is named after him. Where does the Bible state Christians cannot have more than one wife? As note – I do not practice, nor do I agree with polygamy, however I don't understand you equating many wives = can't be Christian. Perhaps these are just your thoughts, not based on any credible Biblical verse.

May 2, 2012 at 12:43 am |
    • marctheduck

How funny! After all these years of flaming liberals calling all conservatives bigots that they don't know how to deal with their own bigotry. It's so flaming bigoted from the left here tonight that it's worth posting this URL for everyone to see "real" liberals true colors! Funny!

May 2, 2012 at 12:43 am |
    • souptwins

zip– If Christians believe in the Bible then they must not have a problem with polygamy since most of the ancient prophets had multiple wives. Besides that– Mormons haven't practiced it since 1890. So do you also think people in the South still practice slavery?

May 2, 2012 at 12:49 am |
    • Brett

Actually, it was 27, not 55. He had 57 children. Big deal. The Bible is littered with polygamy. It hasn't been practiced in the LDS Church for well over 100 years.

May 2, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • nairb247

Zip – Abraham had several wives and concubines. Does that make him a false prophet?

May 2, 2012 at 1:17 am |
  5. Dave

Oh joy. Another Palin. Someone contrary to the Republican "norm" they can flaunt around as "proof" they're current and relevant.

May 2, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • marctheduck

Feminists: are you going to let this one go? Just because the guy is as flaming liberal? Why the double standard? Doesn't that end any credibility you once had???

May 2, 2012 at 12:41 am |
    • Flipper

Wow...you know next to nothing about her, but your knee-jerk reaction is to compare here to Palin b/c all conservative women MUST adhere to your laughable caricature of them
      That's just sad, yet predictable.

May 2, 2012 at 12:44 am |
    • Black Republican Woman Candidate

I couldn't be where I am without the radical feminism of the Sixties. So I am Republican.

I couldn't be where I am without the liberal and radical left Civil Rights Movement of the Sixties. So I am a Republican.

I find that these things make much more sense if I don't think about them.

May 2, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • souptwins

Yeah, sorry Dave. That one has to be called out. Being a woman and in GOP hardly makes one a Palin. Palin's problems transcended her gender and her party.

May 2, 2012 at 12:56 am |
  6. JJ

"The politician is a poster child for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints..." In other words, the token black person. Please. We have enough of these already.

May 2, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • souptwins

Please is right! There have been black Mormons since the days of J. Smith. Just because that doesn't fit your tired stereotypes, doesn't mean it isn't true.

May 2, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  7. MrDifficult

Black + woman + mormon = irrelevant. This article is a waste of web space.

May 2, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • marctheduck

Bigot! Racist!

May 2, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • zip

My Mormon diaper is very absorbant.

May 2, 2012 at 12:41 am |
  8. Mike

How silly! I don't understand why anyone of color would want to be a Republican.

May 2, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • marctheduck

Mike, I think you could have made your statement most accurately if you had cut it off after the 5th word.

May 2, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • Brett

hmm.... maybe because she believes in hard work, freedom, capitalism, and small government. Not everyone thinks we need to live in a welfare state.

May 2, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • me138

I cant see how anyone of color would be a democrat, ya know with the whole slavery, k k k and lynching thing.

May 2, 2012 at 12:38 am |
  9. ja-coffalotte

I guess an orange jew catholic would be a big hit too?

May 2, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  10. Mike

How silly! It's like a Jew wanting to be a Nazi. What can one do? People are free to make fools of themselves.

May 2, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • marctheduck

Bigotted Racist!

May 2, 2012 at 12:37 am |
  11. Tam

liberal Mormon woman - oxymoron

May 2, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • souptwins

I know quite a few. At least that's how they define themselves but maybe you'd like to tell them different without ever meeting them.

May 2, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • marctheduck

Liberal bigot! It's all about her race!

May 2, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • Interested

In all sincerity, I'd be interested to hear what they actually believe in, because I rather get the feeling that it is a relative liberality versus a true lirebality.

Are they for gay rights and gay marriage? Are they pro-choice? Are they for a clear separation of church and state?

May 2, 2012 at 12:41 am |
    • answer

@interested,
      Yes. Some mormons are for gay rights and gay marriage. Some mormons are pro-choice. Some mormons are for a separation of church and state. Just like some catholics, some protestants, and some of many other religions. The mormon religion's only statement regarding your vote is that you vote your conscience. The leaders of the mormon church do not publicly support any candidate, but ask their members to vote for candidates that share the values of the voter. Consequently, there are a lot of mormon democrats and a lot of mormon republicans. Some are liberal and others are conservative.

May 2, 2012 at 1:06 am |
  12. Boo

Have to agree with many posters – the interviewer was pathetic. Glad to see Mia not fall for the racial/religious sensationalism, and that she stuck to her views instead. She'll be awesome if she wins. Glad that I'll be able to vote for her.

May 2, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • zip

Put down the crack pipe. Really.

May 2, 2012 at 12:32 am |
  13. Mike

During the 30's, there were Jews who wanted to be Nazis. This is very comparable. I think she looks really silly.

May 2, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • souptwins

Or maybe... you're the one looking silly for bringing Jews and Nazi's into this conversation. Now there's a winner!

May 2, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  14. Taino1917

Money for you! Votes for me!!! Yea right, We are smarter than that Romney! You are obvious in desperation....you cannot hide anymore. We know your every move! The Gal out witted you... she can play the role for you if you like...$$$$$$$$!

May 2, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • souptwins

I never heard who she supported for the GOP nomination but I doubt it was initially Romney. She's a bit of a Tea Party gal.

May 2, 2012 at 12:30 am |
  15. zip

why was Joseph Smith arrested and jailed over and over? Can you say con artist? The second Mitt Romney says he believes Jesus appeared in America, not only will he lose by a landslide. but America will laugh him off the stage.

May 2, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • nairb247

He was arrested once for being a "treasure seeker" which he was exonerated.

He was arrested for false accusations at that point he was killed.

Instead of tearing him apart, what about the angry "christian" mob of people who came and killed him and his brother in cold blood, or the many people who came and killed numerous mormons (look up Hauns Mill Massacre), or the fact that the governor of Missouri made it legal to kill mormons and encouraged it. The LDS church only recently receive apologies from the state of Missouri.

Such great "Christian" people aren't they.

I guess they were good people

May 2, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • zip

Joseph Smith was using the name of Jesus to commit fraud. That's heresy. The true christians were just defending their faith. Gee, they hated cults even back then.

May 2, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • answer

@zip,

Good question. Here's some more: Why was Joseph Smith harassed, tortured, and later murdered by people who claimed to be christians? Why did the governor of the state of Missouri issue an extermination order in 1838 against mormons making it legal to kill mormons? The answers: Bigotry and intolerance.

May 2, 2012 at 1:14 am |
  16. Zulux

Black, Mormon, female...sure ...but the question is...is she gay? That would be a full package!

May 2, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Rush Goebbels

No, but she married her donkey.

May 2, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  17. Jerry Phillips

Government bad... Blah Blah Blah You should move to a place where there is no government... I bet you would thrive!

May 2, 2012 at 12:12 am |
  18. dc

“I’m not a victim, and I don’t allow anybody to put me in a box.”

HOW REFRESHING!

May 2, 2012 at 12:11 am |
  19. CdnJim

A conservative Mormon woman? Find me a Mormon woman who isn't Conservative. So I guess the big deal is because she's black. And what makes her a "Rising Star?" She's been nominated to run for a congressional seat, Well I guess as the say at the Oscars, "It's an honour just to be nominated,"

This trumped up story makes as much sense as Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize for getting elected. Reverend King's dream was not that people be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. Being black is not a character issue or an achievement, it's a miniscule piece of DNA which is constantly changing.

Let's wait until the "Rising Star" does something and then write an article about how she actually made her community a better place, or what legislation she brought about to improve the lives of Americans. Must of bin a slow newsday.

May 2, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • nairb247

I know tons of liberal LDS women.

May 2, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • souptwins

Same here nair! She has accomplished something. Her city had a huge debt when elected and now they have a AA+ rating while experiencing unbelievable growth. If I was in her district I probably wouldn't vote for her but that would be due to politics not gender, race or religion. Most comments on here only have a problem with the fact that she breaks their tired old stereotypes.

May 2, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Michelle

Hey, I'm a liberal Mormon woman. And you know what? There are lots of us.

May 2, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Rush Goebbels

Lots meaning three?

May 2, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • Yeah

"Liberal" in Mormonstan means you slightly preferred John McCain to George W. Bush.

May 2, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • nairb247

Yeah – Lots of Mormons voted for Obama.

May 2, 2012 at 1:20 am |
  20. dc

Good for her! She didn't drink the Kool-Aide!

May 2, 2012 at 12:10 am |