home
RSS
May 1st, 2012

House candidate and rising GOP star is black, female - and Mormon

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - To call Mia Love a minority is an understatement. She’s a black woman who won an upset primary race to become the Republican candidate in Utah’s 4th Congressional District. If elected, she’d be the first black Republican congresswoman in the House of Representatives.

Love, who has attracted lots of national Republican support, also stands out because of her religion: She’s a Mormon. The politician is a poster child for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ campaign to present a more diverse face to a historically very white church.

“There are a lot of people who have tried to define me as a person,” Love, a daughter of Haitian immigrants, told CNN’s Kyra Phillips in an interview Tuesday. “I’m not a victim, and I don’t allow anybody to put me in a box.”

Speaking from Salt Lake City, she said, “There may be some challenges. But ... I love this place and love the people that are here, and I represent their beliefs and values.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Love is featured in a video series produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as part of its “I’m a Mormon” campaign, which aims to bring the faith of about 14 million members worldwide into the mainstream.

In the CNN interview, Love talked about how Mormonism would affect Mitt Romney’s candidacy more than her own, which is happening in the most Mormon state in the nation.

“You know I don’t think those are the issues that Americans really care about,” Love said when asked about the role of Romney’s religion in the presidential campaign. “I think Americans care about jobs, the economy; they care about the debt and deficit spending. … Being a Mormon is part of who he is as a person, and I don’t think it should deter from the issues.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Love’s “I’m a Mormon” video shows her working as the mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah, her current job.

“I am the mayor of Saratoga Springs and I love it,” she says in the video. “I get to make this life better for me and better for others.

“My friends from back home are always saying, ‘What are you doing in Utah?'” she says in the video, referring to her East Coast upbringing. “What they don’t know is that when I came here I felt accepted.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mormonism • Politics • TV-CNN Newsroom

soundoff (2,038 Responses)
  1. typicalwhitemale

It's not white peoples' faults that more blacks don't believe in self-sufficiency and don't cow tow to the false nation of blacks being a persecuted people who can't get ahead without the govt's help. The whole idea of black victimization is nonsense. They have better than equal rights in the U.S. Hell, they have far better opportunity than blacks have in Africa under their own rulership.To the Dem party, blackness is a religion unto itself. It's really sickening. I'm tired of the race pandering bull crap, as are most white people.

May 2, 2012 at 2:56 am |
    • raenil

You're on the fast track to hell, buddy. Enjoy while you have time.

May 2, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  2. lynn

hey dumb buts mormons hate blacks .

May 2, 2012 at 2:55 am |
  3. cwes

Just call them the Mormons Party (MOP) instead of GOP.

May 2, 2012 at 2:55 am |
  4. lynn

give me a fricken break

May 2, 2012 at 2:54 am |
  5. cgs

Go Mia! You sound like a wonderful person who has her act together. I hope you win!

May 2, 2012 at 2:53 am |
  6. Brett

Slim, Apparently my apology post will not post, so I'm trying one more time.

I never intended to judge you. Based on what you said in your posts, it appears to me that you had not repented, and continued to go to the temple and take new leadership roles in the church. If, in fact, you had not repented, it is a simple fact that you would have had to lie over and over in interviews to go to the temple, at the least. You clearly know the interview questions. If that were the case, you would have been living a lie.

If I misinterpreted what you said, or what happened to you, then I am sincerely sorry.

May 2, 2012 at 2:49 am |
  7. George

Seems like a bright young lady. She didn't fall into the traps that were presented by the interviewer. The interviewer described her guest as the daughter of Haitian refugees and an African-American, how does that work? I would have been more impressed if Ms. Love had corrected the interviewer and said, "I choose to describe myself as an American, as opposed to an African-American". In my opinion if you put anything and a hyphen before American in your self description you are not an American...

May 2, 2012 at 2:47 am |
  8. Timetowinialwayswin

She's a wonderful, kind, caring woman. She isn't pushing her religion on anybody. Stop throwing tempertantrums you lefties.

May 2, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • Timetowinialwayswin

Democrats. Take your war on women elsewhere.

May 2, 2012 at 2:29 am |
    • Not so

There are no wonderful kind caring people in politics. Politics does not attract wonderful kind caring people. Wonderful kind caring people do not survive in politics. Politics attracts lawyers. 54% of the Senate and 36% of Congressmen are lawyers.

May 2, 2012 at 2:34 am |
    • Jonesey

It's not a "lefty" thing, Timetowinialwayswin. It's a "religion" thing. It's so cliche and boring.

May 2, 2012 at 2:37 am |
    • ficheye

You are really looking for a fight, aren't you? Haw!!!

May 2, 2012 at 2:40 am |
    • pa jesseson

yeah, right, the lefties are the one who throw temper tanrums about religion. what planet do you live on? have you checked out the conservatives who throw god AT everyone – the god they say is the god of love – and use god as a battering ram against anyone who disagrees with their measly political opinions? are you one of those, timetowinialwayswin. just look at your self-righteous name – do you always win because you think god loves you but not the ones you think you beat? some god fearing person you are. get real – mia love sounds lovely, and you sound like what you probably are – pompous and ridiculous. saratoga springs is lucky to have her, but i wonder who thinks they're lucky to have you. oh, right – everyone!!!!! thanks for the laugh – big as your low self esteem.

May 2, 2012 at 2:50 am |
    • pa jesseson

I live in a townhouse at the junction of Pearl Avenue and 27th street in Santa Monica. My address is: 59 Village Park Way.

If you are coming from the airport, take the 10 to Santa Monica and get off at Cloverfield exit and get to Pico Blvd. Go east on Pico to 27th and turn right (its the only way you can turn) and drive one block to Pearl and 27th. Cross Pearl and enter the driveway and turn right,you will then be on Village Pkwy, and you will go over 2 speed bumps. When you do, you begin to look for parking on the right and then call me from your car. 310-399-1331 and I’ll come out and you won’t have to wander around trying to find where my little house is. In case you figure this out I am directly across from the pool. My zip code is 90405, so you might want to check this out on mapquest. My only probllem is that I am dyslexic so be sure to check the rights and lefts in the instructions.
      Love and hugs,

May 2, 2012 at 2:51 am |
  9. Heinrich Himmler, White and Delightsome

Ca you say "useful idiot"?

May 2, 2012 at 2:23 am |
    • raenil

Exactly!

May 2, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  10. LOLmormon

And [God] had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people, the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them. And thus saith the Lord God; I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities." (2 Nephi 5:21)

May 2, 2012 at 2:12 am |
    • souptwins

zip! I see you have a new handle.

May 2, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • nairb247

If you read later on, those dark skinned people actually became in Gods Favor and those white skinned people became shunned because of their iniquities.

May 2, 2012 at 2:23 am |
    • LOLmormon

"their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites… and they were numbered among the Nephites, and were called Nephites" (3 Nephi 2:15-16).

May 2, 2012 at 2:32 am |
    • LOLmormon

Bahahahaha!!

O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God. Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you, which is the word of God, that ye revile no more against them because of the darkness of their skins; neither shall ye revile against them because of their filthiness..." (Jacob 3:8-9).

May 2, 2012 at 2:34 am |
    • Jonesey

Ya... verses written by a guy (Joseph Smith) who had beer goggles on.

May 2, 2012 at 2:38 am |
    • pa jesseson

go ahead, make me puke

May 2, 2012 at 3:06 am |
    • nairb247

Question – How many times in the bible were people cursed with a mark or an affliction or having language changed etc etc.

If the Lord wants to make a point he will make it one way or another won't he.

May 2, 2012 at 3:09 am |
  11. Kinda Wonering

Isn't that the same chick who had GOD tattooed on her forehead in the last article? Is it a before picture, or did she have it removed?

May 2, 2012 at 2:01 am |
    • Derp

Herpa Derp, herp herp derpa

May 2, 2012 at 2:19 am |
    • Herpa Derpa

Herpa Derpa, derp, derp herpa

May 2, 2012 at 2:21 am |
    • Frank Sinatra

Doobey doobey doo.

May 2, 2012 at 2:24 am |
  12. souptwins

Everyone needs to watch the video of the interview on this article. Does CNN or this interviewer realize how horribly racist and bigoted the tone and assumptions are? The reporter is aghast that anyone could possibly be a black woman and LDS much less GOP. Love does an excellent job of trying to keep the interview about policies. Totally unprofessional!!

May 2, 2012 at 1:59 am |
    • mojo888

Perhaps the reporter is not blind, deaf, and dumb - She knows more about the history of your so-called Mormons than Mia Love knows I bet - Furthermore, Mia Love is brainwashed and believes that her race is not important - only that's what they tell her... Please get off your high horse and watch the video yourself..

May 2, 2012 at 2:05 am |
    • souptwins

Oh I did! Mojo– you've been riding that high horse all evening. Are you upset that she doesn't act or believe the way you think a black woman ought to act and believe? Exactly how should she, anyway? Who are you or I to tell anyone of any race, gender, or religion what they should or shouldn't believe? I'm sure she's quite proud of her Haitian heritage just as I am of my Irish and French heritage. Does that mean I must eat cabbage and croissants every night to prove I remember my ancestors? How should one in a racially plural society such as the US act towards their race anyway? Please, tell us all so we can carefully behave and believe the superficial things you think should define us.

May 2, 2012 at 2:13 am |
    • mojo888

And please stop posting on everyones' comment...

May 2, 2012 at 2:28 am |
    • Larry

Thats because republicans agenda is largley anti womans lib and unless their black with a lot of money they dont want anything to do with black people. so her being gop is against her own best self interest

May 2, 2012 at 2:29 am |
    • mojo888

Oh and I forgot to say - your comments are irrelevant here... The real truth is that your Mormon buddies don't give a hoot about this woman... Nor did they give a hoot about that young black basketball player at BYU... He made a mistake and they treated him llike a slave... That's my observation about that that whole religion.. As long as you stay in your place, you're fine...

May 2, 2012 at 2:33 am |
    • souptwins

Really mojo? You're allowed to post but I'm not? Don't like the things I call into question? And now you're bringing up Brandon Davies? Really? He was on the team this year making all conference 1st team and has said numerous times how well he was treated and supported by everyone at BYU. You understand what it means to live to one's commitments, right? Oh maybe not. You still haven't told us which superficial traits we all ought to define ourselves on.

May 2, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • souptwins

BTW Mojo– this was MY original comment which YOU posted on. Ironic, huh?

May 2, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • raenil

The lady hates her own race so she runs as fast and as far away from it as she can. That's why she has a white husband ,is a republican and is a Mormon. Most black Republicans marry white. They always have to prove that they're the exception. Her parents did her a major disservice by raising her in the enviornment that they did. She'll prosper financially, but she lost her soul and that's obvious. By the way, I have no issues with white people other than the fact that they tend to be racist and forever deny it.

May 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  13. raenil

For the Conservatives that think that Black people voted for Obama just because he was black...if you put that lady on a national stage she wouldn't get 5% of the black vote. Just like Herman Cain. Some very shrewd minorities gravitate to the conservative party just because of the opportunity and rewards that would come with it.

May 2, 2012 at 1:46 am |
    • Just Noticing A Few Things

Put her on any stage and she won't find any dollars stuffed either. Woof!

May 2, 2012 at 1:59 am |
  14. Just Noticing A Few Things

Have you ever noticed that when the press dubs someone a "Rising GOP Star, they are about 13 seconds away from total faceplant followed by obscurity?

May 2, 2012 at 1:42 am |
  15. Carl

Of course someone like that is a rising GOP star. Republicans are always falling all over themselves to show off minority members of their party because there are so few. With her they get three for the price of one. 1. Black, 2. Woman, 3. Minority religious group (but a safe one since they are Christians). They hope you notice that and not the 99% White, majority male, audience at these events.

May 2, 2012 at 1:36 am |
    • ricardo65

EXACTLY!!

May 2, 2012 at 1:40 am |
    • Jeremy

Carl, who cares what color, gender, or religion they are? Apparently you do. As long as they are intelligent, moral, and honest I don't care. I have met people of just about every race, religion, and gender and have met great people people as well as worthless people. Grow up.

May 2, 2012 at 1:51 am |
    • mojo888

Pefectly Said! I couldnt have said it any better!

May 2, 2012 at 2:07 am |
    • Perkins

Jeremy, a person who joins a religion that until recently was very hostile to their race, going so far as to say they are scripturally cursed, that is legitimate grounds for questining the judgement of the person. When that religion also considers their gender inferior and subservient, it also raises questions of judgement.

A person who joins a political party that long resisted the equality of their race and gender, that too raises the question of just how good theat person's gender is.

May 2, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • typicalwhitemale

Is there something wrong with being white, and especially white and male? Oh god, those evil white men. It was white men who invented electricity, the automobile, cell phone, radio, tv, many medical advancements, wrote all the great classical music and executed the vast majority of the great art in history, and had the entrepreneurial spirit to make an advanced economy. It is not white people's fault that blacks lag in failure everywhere you go in the world. And it is not white people's faults that more black people aren't for a small govt and national interests instead of being pandered to by the Dems as if they are a special interest.

May 2, 2012 at 2:52 am |
  16. Diana

I hope for this woman's sake that she leaves this cult soon. Anyone who's of the Mormon "faith" believes stuff like God is married, and that Jesus and satan are spirit brothers, and that we can all become gods and create our own planets. Until 1978 African American males weren't allowed in the priesthood. Polygamy was practiced by that cult many years ago. Both policies were changed due to public pressure. In other words, the Mormons see which way the wind blows and they change their practices accordingly.

If you want to vote for someone to represent you who believes this stuff, it's your problem, not mine. I for one refuse to vote for Romney or anyone else in that cult. I feel strongly about this as I used to be a member of it. Joined up when I was eighteen. I wish my parents, who are not Mormon, stopped me. But they didn't. I've got way too many bad memories of that group.

I urge anyone who is a Mormon to leave that cult like I did and embrace a true Bible-believing church and become saved. I urge anyone who is thinking about joining to say "NO." Please....your eternity depends on it.

May 2, 2012 at 1:36 am |
    • ricardo65

So, you believe a man died and became alive again and was raised into heaven. You believe someone parted a sea and a bush that was on fire talked to someone. In other words, you believe in stuff just as stupid as she does.

May 2, 2012 at 1:42 am |
    • nairb247

Interesting comments.

Anyone who believes in Christianity would believe in love and tolerance.

That being said it is also true that "Christians" once had several wives – how many did Abraham have?

Did you know that God once only allowed decedents of Levi to hold his priesthood – How dare he.

If we are all children of our heavenly father and Satan was "cast out" of heaven wouldn't that make him our brother? Rev 12: 7-10

May 2, 2012 at 1:42 am |
    • souptwins

Sorry you had a bad experience but the beauty of religious beliefs is that they are personal and one person's experience doesn't equate to that of anothers. Love is an intelligent woman. I'm sure she's capable of leading her life the way she sees fit.

May 2, 2012 at 1:51 am |
  17. Slim

If you're a mormon wanting to get yourself out of the cult, take it from me. There IS hope:

The church is a big, fat lie. I didn't feel god in the celestial room at temple. What I did feel instead was the distinct feeling that my wallet was getting lighter. I was born and raised in Utah, and unfortunately still live here due to personal reasons. When I figured out the truth about the church, my entire family stopped speaking to me. The LDS church is just as screwed up as scientology. If you're even thinking about converting to mormon, do your research. I promise you, much of what you read on the internet about the religion is in fact the truth. I cannot believe how stupid I was believing in the whole thing. It's a farce and no one should be subjected to its teachings.

May 2, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • Brett

Slim, I'm sorry for your experience brother. Not sure what happened to you, but you are absolutely wrong about the church in general.

May 2, 2012 at 1:34 am |
    • Slim

No Brett, you are wrong. I spent over 40 years in the church. It's a sham.

May 2, 2012 at 1:36 am |
    • Brett

By the way, if you want out, there is no need to divine any great wisdom from the almighty wiki. Just stop coming. It really isn't that difficult. No one comes to your house, binds you, drugs you, and drags you to church.

If you know anything about the LDS Church, you would know that one of the key tenants is free agency, the right to choose for yourself. It is at the core of everything we do and teach.

May 2, 2012 at 1:38 am |
    • ricardo65

Free agency? Curt Flood had to sue for that!

May 2, 2012 at 1:43 am |
    • Brett

ROTFL... That was super funny. BTW, I actually had to look that up to get it!

May 2, 2012 at 1:46 am |
    • Slim

Really Brett? You want to know how pure and wonderous the mormon church is?

How about sitting in a room with all of your neighbors, friends and the council of the church being grilled with your wife about your sexual activities prior to being married? Do you think this is ok, BRETT? You must, because you're acting as though it doesn't happen. It does happen! It happened to me. It's happened to many others.

You know what happens when you stop going to church? You lose all of your friends. Your family cuts you off. It's the mormon way. So loving, isn't it? The same thing happens with scientology. I encourage people to search for answers online to prepare for how the mormon church will make their lives a living hell. If you decide to leave the church, make sure you're ready for lots of change because it'll happen whether you like it or not. The LDS church is terrible. It's all flowery from the outside when they're inviting you in, but heaven forbid you actually want out. They will ruin you.

May 2, 2012 at 1:47 am |
    • nairb247

Slim, sorry you didn't have a great experience. Sorry your family did that to you, that shouldn't have happened. Unfortunately people are human and we do dumb things.

That being said, you know as well as I do that for every thing someone posts anti against the church there are hundreds of other stories of people who have had amazing wonderful experiences within the church.

May 2, 2012 at 1:49 am |
    • Brett

Again Slim, I am sorry for your personal experience. I have lot's of friends who are no longer in the church. One is even gay, no less. I can't speak to your personal experience, but my experience has been totally different. I'm sorry your family and friends left you in your time of need. I know a lot of people who wouldn't have. I wouldn't have. People are not perfect. I hope that some day you and your family can make amends.

May 2, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • Brett

Slim, I do know about church courts. They are not intended to be the way you describe. They are meant to help you heal your life. I've never taken part in one personally, but I have a couple of friends who have gone through them. Neither is bitter and one has gone through the process of repentance and has be re-baptized into the Church. Sorry your experience wasn't the same.

May 2, 2012 at 2:00 am |
    • James

Brett, like most Mormons, is not being entirely honest with you. While it's true that Mormons won't physically drug you, they will do just about everything else. If you stop coming to church, you are still not out of the faith. The members will contact you, repeatedly, to get you to come. You will be visited by home teachers, visiting teachers, missionaries, the Bishopric, and other members repeatedly. Professing to act out of "love" and "concern," they will continue to harass you until you return to church. In essence, they practically do come to your house and drag you to church. It is an explicit mission of all members to "reactivate" all non-active members of the church.

IIf you truly want to leave, you have to have your name removed from Church records. While this can be done, it is not a quick and easy process. Out of concern for your "eternal salvation," the Church will make every effort to delay the process as long as possible. And once you're out, don't expect to be accepted by your Mormon friends and family. While the more tactful members will put on a good face when you're in their presence, it's clear they no longer accept you, judge you, and shame you.

The only extent to which the church accepts free agency is to the extent that you chose to do EVERY little thing that the cult leadership of that church tells you. If you don't, they will actively correct you and coerce you to conform with guilt-laden talks with church leadership which are personally invasive and judgmental. They threaten you with excommunication and church discipline at every turn. The pressure to conform to this cult is extreme, and it is manipulative and damaging to members' mental well-being.

May 2, 2012 at 2:00 am |
    • Slim

After 40+ years in the church, I've seen plenty of what the LDS church is all about. You people need to stop making excuses and wake up. Here's something else you need to realize. I wasn't some run of the mill weekly attendee. I was a very prominent member of the church. Unlike you watered-down secular sheep. You're like children that just got suckered into a van ride with a guy handing out candy, completely unaware of what you're getting yourself into. I was born into it and indoctrinated from the start. You people have absolutely no clue what it is you're talking about when you promote your so-called faith. Talk to me when you're high enough to take part in making changes to church doctrine on a world-wide level like I was. Until then, you've got nothing to say.

That reminds me. You should ask yourself why revisions are made to church doctrine. Just a little food for thought.

May 2, 2012 at 2:00 am |
    • mojo888

Hey Slim - don't let them try to brainwash you like they're brainwashing Ms. Mia Love - she is a SHAM! Now I would encourage all those in favor of dismissing this false hope and religion by going to Starbuck's tommorow and ordering a Grande Tea.. with lots of sugar and creamer...

May 2, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • mojo888

Hey Slim - don't let them try to brainwash you like they're brainwashing Ms. Mia Love - she is a SHAM! Now I would encourage all those in favor of dismissing this false hope and religion by going to Starbuck's tommorow and ordering a Grande Tea.. with lots of sugar.. or just order a Coke and have a smile on me.

May 2, 2012 at 2:14 am |
    • Brett

James, sorry you had a bad experience. We do reach out to those who stop coming to church. I have personally been involved in that effort, which is an act of love and service. I have personally never harassed anyone and if anyone has told be they do not wish to be bothered, I have communicated that to my Bishop and cease to visit. Some members are more zealous, but I assure you, it is out of love. It takes a lot of courage to go on visits to inactive members and it is done completely out of service. Sorry you had a bad experience. I don't really know about being removed from the records, so i won't speak to that.

As for you slim, it is very hard to live a lie. If you were put in 'higher positions' as you say, you would have to have been living a life of hypocrisy and deceit. It must have been tearing you apart. You would have had to lie over and over to yourself and others and i'm sure it grew like a cancer in your soul. That is what repentance is for. Had you been honest with yourself, it would have never got that far and I'm pretty sure you would feel a lot differently now.

I hope some day you and your family can forgive. Don't hold it in my friend. It will only eat at your soul.

May 2, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • nairb247

Slim, you know as well as I do that many people leave the church. You know as well as I do that the church is run by men and we are not perfect. That being said, you also know as well as I do if you were in fact what you claim you were that the Church does tons of good for people all over the world.

May 2, 2012 at 2:17 am |
    • Slim

And here we are Brett. You have just proven my point exactly. You're telling me I was living a lie. I find a great deal of humor in this statement, as the entire church is a lie. I also find it humorous because what you just said is exactly how the church is taught to deal with members that depart. Guilt them for doing so, right? This is what you are doing. You are also taught to judge people for leaving the church, which is what you've just done. You are the epitome of garbage, Brett. Thank you for proving my point.

The church does good DEEDS for some people. Just like other groups of people do good DEEDS for other people. This does not excuse the church from what it does to its own members. It also doesn't excuse the changes made within the church, or the changes to church doctrine, or the excuses it makes for its shortcomings as a corporation. If it were truly divine, then it wouldn't have had roots in racism. Nor would it have taught false doctrines.

You people keep making excuse after excuse. "People aren't perfect." Save it. If the mormon church were truly divine, then it wouldn't be so full of holes and corruption. I'm done with this conversation. There's no curing stupid. Just wait until you screw up once and the church finds out about it. Don't come crying when you feel like you just got gang-raped by a hundred federal inmates after you've been torn apart by your church council.

May 2, 2012 at 2:28 am |
    • nairb247

Slim, In the end it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of you. What matters is what Christ thinks of you.

May 2, 2012 at 2:54 am |
    • Brett

Slim, I haven't judged you at all. Either you were honest or you weren't. Based on your posts, it sounds like you weren't. If that is the case, you were, in fact, living a lie. Not a judgment, just a fact. You are asked in temple recommend interviews if you are chaste. If you weren't and you went to the temple, you lied plain and simple.

If I misunderstood your posts, I sincerely apologize.

May 2, 2012 at 3:07 am |
  18. Brett

Mormons not Christian? HMM....

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 25:26 'And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.' Sounds pretty "Christian" to me. And, BTW, my personal favorite scripture verse.

May 2, 2012 at 1:30 am |
    • Reverend Sharpton

Revelation 22:18

" warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book."

Say, were you just reading from the Bible? Oh that's right. You were reading from an addition to the Bible. : )

May 2, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • Brett

You do know that Revelations was not the last book written in the Bible, right? Hmm, that would make a lot of the rest of the Bible wrong, no? You also understand that the books were all compiled into one big book, right? Hmm, I guess not. Maybe you should check into that before you make stuff up.

May 2, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • nairb247

It actually says – "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things God shall add unto him plagues that are written in this book. And if any man shall TAKE AWAY (enlarged to make a point) from the words of this prophecy God shall take away his part out of the book of life and out of the holy city and from the things which are written in this book.

So, please tell me how many books have been omitted, or deleted from the actual Bible. The original version contained over 80 books. There are not that many in the current one. Does that mean we are all going to hell?

May 2, 2012 at 2:05 am |
    • LOLmormon

UH NO.

It means that them thar catholics are gunna burrrrrrrrn in the fires of HADES for their removal of them thar books ya fools. Since them thar bokos was removed, how can ye have the whole gospel and actually have the thoughts that yer gunna get into heavens!? Ijuts!

BTW, god ain't on no planet somewheres, and you ain't gunna get one when ya die. effin tards

May 2, 2012 at 2:17 am |
    • pa jesseson

why play the quote the scriptures game, as if they were written by something divine? you know it isn't true? so grow up and stop relying on that fairy tale. there is something big going on here – but we are not capable of knowing much about it, which is why stupid fantasies rule the airwaves, and people's lives. just try this: forget ALL THAT CRAP and just be a nice helpful kind generous thoughtful caring compassionate useful modest person. Not because it will get you anything, and not because you fear anything, and not because some character in a fairy tale said that some other character in a fairy tale said you should or you would be punished, but because you as a human being are able to be all of those things. don't even tell anyone else to be this way, just be it for the sake of being it. i bet you dollars to heavenly doughnuts, you will make the world the kind of world that the real, human man some called jesus would be proud to live in. the rest is nonesense. have the courage to cut it out and just be a good person, period. we could use a few more of those and a few less self-deluded kooks like all the scripture pounder pundits around here.

most sincerely yours- j
      ust a person

May 2, 2012 at 3:03 am |
  19. LadyEngineer

Wow, the comments on this page are unvelievable.
    This is an amazing women who has done a lot for her city and town. Most of these comments on this page seem upset that she doesn't fit in a stereotypcal box. Also many of these comments are hateful and are descriminating against mormons while calling mormons racists at the same time (isn't that racist toward mormons in a way?).
    I am a mormon, a single woman, a proffessional engineer, and a republican. My wonderful sister in law is a democrat, mormon, feminist, who is working in woman's studies trying to get equal rights for woman all over the world. This woman in the article, my sister in law, and I don't fit in a stereotypical box, so quit trying to put us in one. Please stop turning this comment section into a hate blog and actually comment on something useful.

May 2, 2012 at 1:25 am |
    • RaceBasedDNC

Well said. The problem is that the idea of a christian black woman happily succeeding in the GOP doesn't fit liberal mythology. They don't believe it is possible because of three myths: 1) Christian women are stupid. 2) Black people need government help to live. 3) GOP is racist. Really, the hatefulness on the board says much more about the ugliness of the current base voters of the Democratic Party than it does Mia Love.

May 2, 2012 at 1:34 am |
    • JL Hood

Keep up the good fight Lady Engineer. For way too long the democratic establishment has taken your vote for granted.

May 2, 2012 at 1:42 am |
  20. RaceBasedDNC

Also, I love it when the heathen liberal trolls pose as christians and start spewing theological sounding bigotry. Grow up trolls! Get over your stereotypes.

May 2, 2012 at 1:25 am |