home
RSS
My Take: Dear God: How to pray on National Day of Prayer?
President Barack Obama praying at a White House Easter event in April.
May 3rd, 2012

My Take: Dear God: How to pray on National Day of Prayer?

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

Dear Deity,

In the Milky Way, on planet Earth, in the United States of America, Thursday is our National Day of Prayer, so I am writing to ask You how to pray.

Seventy eight percent or so of U.S. citizens are Christians, so should we pray today to the Christian God? This seems to be the conviction of the folks at the National Day of Prayer Task Force, which pops up first if you Google “National Day of Prayer.” (By the way, do You Google, God? And if so do you ever Google "God"?)

The NDP Task Force refers to itself as “Judeo-Christian,” but it sure looks evangelical to me. It has been chaired since 1991 by Shirley Dobson, the wife of Focus on the Family founder (and evangelical stalwart) James Dobson. Its site quotes liberally from the New Testament, and one of its goals is to “foster unity within the Christian Church.”

A NDP Task Force press release begins: “Americans to Unite and Pray on Thursday, May 3rd, for the 61st Annual Observance of the National Day of Prayer." But will their sort of prayer really unite our nation?

Twenty four percent of Americans are Catholics, and God knows they don’t pray the way evangelicals do. Nearly 2% are Mormons and another 2% are Jews. And neither of those groups talks to You with the easy familiarity of born-again Christians.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

And what about American Hindus and Muslims and Buddhists?  Muslims agree with their Jewish and Christian neighbors that there is one God. But how to pray as a nation when some believers affirm more than one God and some affirm fewer?

As You obviously know, the 1.6% of Americans who call themselves atheists and the 2.4% who call themselves agnostics refer to today as the National Day of Reason. On their web site, they argue that our National Day of Prayer represents an unwanted and unconstitutional intrusion of religion into the workings of the U.S. government.

In his various proclamations of the National Day of Prayer, including this year's, President Obama has referred to prayer as an important part of U.S. history. He speaks of the Continental Congress and Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King, Jr. being driven to their knees by the force of the tasks set before them.

But when our national icons have prayed on our behalf, they have done so in generic terms. Washington addressed “the Almighty”; Jefferson called on “that Infinite Power.” They did so because they wanted prayer to unite us, not to divide us, and they knew from the start that different Americans call You by different names.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

But addressing “Providence” in vague pieties will not satisfy everyone either. The evangelicals at the NPD Task Force reject efforts to “homogenize” America’s many different ways of praying into one common prayer.

I see their point. Like language, religion is a specific sort of thing. If you are going to speak, you need to choose a language. If you are going to pray, you need to choose a religion (and a god). So if they want to pray to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, more power to them.

But what happens when that particular prayer language is put forth as our collective national language? What happens when we pray, as Rick Warren did at President Obama’s inaugural, “in the name of the one who changed my life, Yeshua, Isa, Jesus”? Then prayer turns into a wedge, dividing those who call you Christ from those who call You Krishna (or do not call on You at all).

So I return to my original question: How should we pray on this National Day of Prayer?

But while I have Your attention (do I?) I have one more.

This year the NDP Task Force has chosen for its theme “One Nation Under God” and its Bible quote is: “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord” (Psalms 33:12). Is our god You? Since 1954 we have bragged in our Pledge of Allegiance that we are "one nation under God." Are we?

All too often, it seems to me, we use You rather than following You. Democrats ask You to shill for them on tax policy and immigration. Republicans claim to speak in Your name on abortion and gay marriage. Does this annoy You — playing the pawn in our political chess games? Don't You sometimes just want to smite us?

Finally, before I let you go, I must ask You about the marginal tax rate for the wealthiest Americans. Perhaps You have more important things on your plate, but while I have Your attention (do I?) I must ask: What portion of their income should millionaires pay to the U.S. government? When President Kennedy came into office the highest income tax rate was 91%. Was that too high? Today it is 35%. Is that too low? (Just curious.)

This prayer is already too long, so I should stop. But if You are still there (are You?) maybe you could just tell me whether You follow the Roman Catholic Church. If so, could you comment on the recent fight the Vatican has been picking with American nuns? Do you think our nuns should be spending more time fighting contraception and less time caring for the poor and the sick?

And do get back to me on that how to pray thing. We’re all supposed to do it on Thursday, together.

Sincerely,

Steve

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Catholic Church • Christianity • Politics • Prayer • Uncategorized • United States

soundoff (4,673 Responses)
  1. Bob58

we shouldn't be asking for "stuff" as much as thanking for stuff .... you shouldn't fear God, you should love him..... he loves you like a Father loves his own child, unconditionally.

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • keith

@Bob58 really, how dumb, where is this so called GOD with all the tornado's, hurrican's, earthquake's, murder's, he must be at McDonald's. No its the devil, or he does it to make people stronger so they are you to friends/family dying, yet these same people pray to an imaginary figure

May 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
  2. Bob

We also have National Maritime Day on May 22–apparently, whatever floats your boat. And America Recycles Day on November 15. The latter would be a good time to get rid of religion.

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  3. Leigh2

I would suggest anyone can pray to God ~ their own concept of God of their own particular belief system ~ not just Evangelical Christians. And if you don't want to pray, then go enjoy something you enjoy doing and don't obsess on it and make yourself miserable over it. It's a personal choice for crying out loud. People shouldn't come unglued because there's a National Prayer Day. Good grief, people, it's just one day out of the year that's being recognized.
    ************************
    1 John 4:19

King James Version (KJV)

19 We love Him, because He first loved us.

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  4. CP in FL

There is no god. The burden of proof is on the believers. Just because a majority of people believe in a fairy tale does not make it true. A majority of people in the fourteenth century believed that the Earth was flat and was located at the center of the universe.

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • bob

They wont get it dont even try, its like trying to explain what a TV is to dog

May 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • keith

Who created man? Who created dinasaurs? Who created this GOD? Who created all the other GOD's? If there are GODs why do they allow so much death and distruction? Cause there isnt one to control anything or do anything about it since we make our decisions not a DREAM..

May 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  5. Jason K

Rename it the "National Christian Day of Prayer" let everyone else have one too, and give it a freaking rest. If you don't like it don't pray. No one is pulling your arm. Stop being so damn PC CNN. If you don't like National Talk like a Pirate Day then don't talk like a pirate either!

May 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • DocReality

How about National No-Media Week? Or maybe No-Media Month...that sounds even better. Love the pic of Obama praying to Allah, btw.

May 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  6. system you

I believe in a thousand years, people will be wondering why Jesus never showed up.........

May 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • keith

He does show up to change the outcomes of sporting events, havent you seen the end of the games lol if i didnt have GOD i couldnt have done it, i have to thank my lord and savior without him I am nothing, etc. really if there is a so called GOD and which one, think that he couldnt care to much about a sport, DUMMIES

May 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • CP in FL

The simple minded have waited two thousand years, I am sure that they will wait at least another couple of thousand years before coming to their senses.

May 3, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  7. keith

GOD is as real as Santa Claus and Easter Bunny.. Law says to seperate church from state, yet we get this GOD crap over and over again. Someone tell me who made GOD, wait which GOD, how about the hundreds of them, it was a miracle that a man or whatever was created, where are his remains, GOD seems to control the outcome of sports and entertainment etc.

May 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Babs

my my my. bitter much? If you don't have any faith in any God, fine. Don't pray. It's not like it's manditory. Why do people with no faith gripe about having things pushed on them and the insist that I give up my faith? learn to back off the way you want everyone else to.

May 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • DocReality

I once heard somewhere that GOD could be interpreted to mean Good Orderly Direction. If that's the case, I hope GOD will pay a visit to Washington and stay awhile.

May 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Kaitlyn

And isn't ironic, Keith, when God was taken out of the Pledge of Allegiance, that chrildren started bringing guns to school and killing other children?

May 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • keith

isnt it ironic that we teach our kids to believe in falsehoods, yet when u tell the true u r crucified than have to apologize cause people are offended. lets be real, we make our choices, not a fantasy man/woman, I decide what I want to do and not do, what is true and believable is yourself and my family that is the truth and not a story, repeated everyday every sunday, so can u let me know who your GOD is and then let me know the names of all the other religious GOD's??

May 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • keith

@Bob58 God, you should love him..... he loves you like a Father loves his own child, unconditionally... really, how dumb, where is this so called GOD with all the tornado's, hurrican's, earthquake's, murder's, he must be at McDonald's. No its the devil, or he does it to make people stronger so they are you to friends/family dying, yet these same people pray to an imaginary figure

May 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  8. Nelson Grimmett

You are an idiot, a complete idiot. It's one thing for you to be a non-believer of Jesus Christ and the Christian faith but it's altogether a different thing for you to mock God. It's sickening to me, and the majority of Americans...as you said...70% 80%...that jerks like you mock the Christian faith and have good publicity doing it because of your status with CNN and other networks.

May 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Informed

Cool it, you're getting worked up over a fairy tale that is told to children to scare them so that they will behave.

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Josef Bleaux

It deserves to be mocked. It's just ancient mythology, like all religions. If you're dumb enough to get suckered into that nonsense you deserve to be mocked.

May 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  9. Tired of Arrogant & Pompous Editorialists

The author's byline should be changed to, "Stephen Prothero, a Boston University religion scholar, but not a man of faith, relies solely upon his intellect and sarcasm to elevate himself to his own position of arrogant deity, guaranteeing that anyone and everyone promoting the "Anyone Who Prays is a Lunatic" platform will laud him as brilliant." Scholar? Perhaps. Intelligent? Possibly. Pompous and Arrogant? Absolutely. Thanks for making fun of something that you study instead of actually contributing anything meaningful to the same. But then, it's all about you, isn't it? Wasn't that the point?

May 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
  10. ricardo

I 'm an athiest and I have no problem with people praying whatsoever. It's not like if you don't pray you get punished. If that day ever comes, then it'll be a different story.

May 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • keith

AMEN! wait great point that sounds better

May 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • LOL Religion

I don't have a problem with them praying, I have a problem with the government violating the Establishment Clause.

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • CP in FL

ricardo – If you are a fellow atheist, at least learn how to spell it. lol

May 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • DocReality

Do atheists meditate?

May 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • godoflunaticscreation

Buddhism is atheist so why not meditate?

May 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  11. Bible just a theory

I am PRAYING TODAY that I won't have to listen to any more STUPID POLITICAL ADS that are filled with half-truths and distortions and treat the voter as if he/she is a gullible idiot. OK, God, I'm waiting!

May 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Informed

Unfortunately you wasted your time, but at least you had a nice rest.

May 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • keith

I AM PRAYING TODAY that athletes, entertainers, government officials stop saying IT WAS GOD THAT LEAD ME HERE HE IS MY SAVIOR I COULDNT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT HIM. Interesting cause everyone has to work for something and some use people to get where they are today. How about they just say thanks to my staff or all the training I have been doing is the reason I am where I am today. That wont happen cause it will OFFEND someone than here comes the APOLOGY!!!!

May 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  12. Tom

This just in, millions of stupid people wasted their time today as they beg to themselves for an easier life.

May 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • This Just In

...Tom feels better, now that he has elevated himself by putting down others. How about a big round of applause for Tom, eh?

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • John

And that`s the truth !!!

May 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Babs

Feel better Tom? Some people think you're stupid for NOT haveing faith in anything bigger than Tom.

May 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • John

Bravo Tom,religion =cancer !!!!

May 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
  13. MormonChristian

I'm just happy that people pray. I don't really care who they pray to. I believe true religion comes from the Source and not our own interpretations. To meditate, pray and get closer to God is a powerful thing that brings us closer to understanding who we are. The more we do it, the more we will become "one". We don't get there by debating...

May 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Ron

Would be interesting in knowing what the Source is.

May 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  14. lung butter

All nations will gather and every knee will bend before the Lord Jesus Christ

May 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • godoflunaticscreation

All praise Thor!

May 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Informed

Wrong. There is and was no such person. There is no evidence that says otherwise.

May 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Dave

Certainly Informed, no eveidence other than numerous firsthand accounts, and thousands upon thousands of accounts that in a court of law would be dismissed as heresay. But the firsthand accounts are still valid though one may discount them all as liars and conspiracists.

May 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Luis Rubet

I pray to the God Emperor of Mankind (40K Universe)

May 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
  15. Informed

No one would care less what god someone prays to (if any) EXCEPT that those who call themselves religious often have grander schemes of pushing their beliefs on the rest of us through ridiculous laws and blatant misuse of public money. Religion has NO place in policy making but it has been infesting public policy for many years.

May 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  16. Mario Brown

Correction: The word is among.

May 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  17. Boom

Those who beIieve in a supreme being, no explanations is needed. For those who don't believe in a supreme being, no explanation will suffice

May 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • Informed

I think you have it backwards.

May 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • godoflunaticscreation

That is the dumbest thing i ever heard. Religious people with blinders trying to switch roles with those who inquire in search of truth.

May 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • bob

Those who believe in a supreme being, no intelligence is needed. For those who don't believe in a supreme being, only scientific explanation will suffice

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  18. Dear God

We hate violence.

May 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  19. manhandler1

Mass hysteria...an unfortunate condition of the human race. People who check into this idiocy of mindless belief in a total and unexplainable myth forgot to kick in their mental function at some point. Humans like to try and point out that they are intellectually superior to other animals.....what a riot. The evil part of all this is how they use it to garner hate towards others who have different beliefs than they do. It's one of the main contributing factors to what will be the extinction of the human race. Goofballs who believe that we don't have to face the real problems threatening our existense because because some non existent "God" is going to take care of it all. Really? I mean Really? Humans. as a group, are really the most dangerous and intellectually inferior living thing on this planet. Too bad they're gonna take out alot of other life on thier way out.

May 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • Bob58

Looks like we found one of the 4%.

May 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • MANHANDLER 2

Hope your one of the first to go.

May 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  20. Dave

Here's the thing ... I'm interested in Christianity ... I've never really believed in much ... but here is my question: Why should we "ask God" for stuff? Isn't He or She or It the creator? I guess I always thought prayer was about listening for God, hoping we are pure enough at that moment to hear a personal message that helps us forward. I guess to me, prayer as is done today is nothing but begging God to do stuff for us. I think that's what puts me off to the whole mess.

I'd like to hear an intelligent, non-violent response to this, since I really do just want to understand how to reconcile things that keep me away from churches .... God is jealous, God is angry and we should fear Him / Her / It ... and this whole deal about someone paying for my mistakes by letting himself be killed on a cross. I struggle with the common sense of that, and to me, faith is just an opinion that some people share. Please, enlighten me ... I am listening.

May 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • Vanessa Kirkland

Please go to gotquestions.org for answers to your questions.

May 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • Rhope

Dave are you really – listening that is?
      if you are, drop me an email – I'll be more than happy to share my views. Too long discourse to discuss on this board
      hopeelpoa at gmail

May 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Dave, dont go to anonymous junk online for your answers, go to the new testament.
      For example, here's a good Bible answer to your quwstion re prayer:
      4 What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? 2 You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. James chapter 4
      Hope this helps!

May 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Knowing Christ

Dave, Check out the book Desiring God by John Piper. Desiring God portrays scriptural background and basis. It also explains how the only thing that can satisfy us is God, giving himself to us. But I wish you the best of luck, this article only shows that many are not content, one thing that has been taken care of since I have come to know Christ. -Drake

May 3, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • John

Dave,

Good question and you sound like one of the sincere people on here so I will give you a sincere response. God is NOT a vending machine, i.e. he is not there just for us to pray to and ask for certain things, the Bible makes this clear. God knows the heart of people and those who solely say they believe just for personal gains will have the harshest punishment, for they truly are the most wicked.

The point of prayer is to ask God for guidance and talk to God. When Christians say talk to God they do not mean asking something and then listening to God literally talk back with a response. Many atheists like to claim Christians are delusional because "God talks to them," but they fail to understand what is mean when we say talking to God. when praying, we are to express concerns we may have (and concerns are not dear God please make me rich or give me this, etc), issues we are struggling with, and pray for guidance. When praying we also say that no matter what happens that we trust fully in God and his plan, and even if the outcome isn't what we desire, we know God is all knowing and things are done in the best interest. Even when bad things happen, there are great lessons to learn which can help us grow.

I understand your aprehension about Christianity and especially attending church given all the things you probably hear or see on tv about Christianity and Christians....I don't blame you. Know this however, much of what you hear is a skewed version of the truth, and there are many false teachers out there claiming to be Christians solely for the sake of their own benefits. More commonly referred to as a wolf in sheep's clothing. Jesus said to not just take someone at face value (as far as whether they say they're Christian or not) but to also look at the fruit they grow (i.e. how they act and treat others). That doesn't mean that we judge others or condemn them to hell, that simply means we need to be watchful and look at peoples true intentions because often times their words can be lies.

I hope this helped clarify a few things. You seem earnest in your search and I'm confident that if you keep searching honestly, open minded, and with sincerity that you will get to know Jesus. Christians get a bad rep, and often deservably so, for failing to act in the ways that Christianity instructs us to act. If you're considering going to a church, I'd advise you to just go and check it out, if you don't like it then don't go back, or try a different one. I personally prefer a smaller church because it seems you get to know others better, however it's really a matter of personal opinion.

I wish you luck in your search my friend.

May 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • JDJ

Dave,

These are excellent questions. God loves all human beings. He created us to have a relationship with Him, but we turn our back him by doing wrong things such as lying, stealing, lusting, which the Bible calls sin. Because we sin, our relationship with God is broken. He commands 100% obedience all of the time. Since no human can meet this standard we are in a tough spot. The good news is that God took out the punishment for our sins on Jesus, who was able to die for us because He was perfect. We can have a relationship with God by asking forgiveness for our sins and accepting Jesus' payment. God wants every human to come to Him.

After our relationship is restored with God, He calls us His children and encourages us to talk with Him. While the Bible instructs that we should pray for our needs, it also tells us that we should pray for others and to ask God what He wants us to do while we are here. We know that earthly fathers care for their children so how much more God cares for His children.

I hope this helps you and I can confidently say that if you seek God, you will find Him. Blessings to you and your family.

May 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • John

Dave,

I agree with the above posters that it's a long and very detailed topic, my above description has merely touched on the surface. A book that I really enjoyed and helped me find Christ was called "A Case for Christ" written by Lee Strobel, he was a former atheist I believe and I read that when I too was on the fence about what I believed about life. Cheers.

May 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Chris Chijioke Iweha

Hi Dave,
      I appreciate your sincerity as expressed in your post. I would encourage you to read the book of St. John Chapter 1-end. Please be open minded when reading it. No man can convince you of the existence of God, it is a self discovery journey. God is not limited by what we know or do not know about him, Though He is God almighty yet he respects the WILL of man. Though He is in control of all things, yet He wants you to ask Him of what you need. There is a God's-void in the life of every human, only knowing Him fills the void. Not knowledge, wealth or material things. God bless you brother. Feel free to contact me at chrisiweha@yahoo.com.

May 3, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Twolf

Dave, God so loved the world, and you that He gave His only Son. yes, to die a tragic death on a cross, but He went willingly because He knew that the human race would never measure up no matter how hard we tried. That whoever should believe in Him, will not diie, ever, but have eternal life. John 3:16 It is not anything that we can do, so that no one could ever boast, but a free gift to whoever seeks Him out. There is a Heaven, where the born again in Christ will enter into after their earthly death, AND....... there is a Hell! Make no mistake my friend, and if you havnt given your life to Christ, and asked for forgivness of your sins, and began following Christ..... Before you die, you will end up in Hell. Not my words, but Jesus warns us over 300 times in the New Testament. That is the Fear of the Lord that you are talking about, its not a Fear of ourGod, but it is used in the Greek and Hebrew writings to signify A REVERANCE TO THE ONE THAT WE SERVE. OUT OF HONOR AND THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORD OF GOD....... WE REVERENTLY FEAR HIM ONLY BECAUSE HE HAS LAID OUT THE FUTURE OF THE WORLD ALREADY, AND THEREFORE WE HAVE NO EXCUSES........ WHEN WE STAND BEFORE HIM ON THAT DAY, AS WE ALL WILL...... AND HAVE TO GIVE AN ACCOUNT OF OUR LIVES! Please Dave...... dont be one of the many that will not choose him and will be forever tormented in hell for our free choice. But be one of the few that have heard Him calling you as I believe with all of my heart that He is doing to you, and make the choice to follow Him and see your eyes opened up to a whole new realm! Get back to me if you want to know Jesus, He is waiting for you. In Faith and in Christ, your friend Tim- wolfanizer@yahoo.com

May 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • LinCA

@Dave

The gods people believe in are a lot like the believers themselves. Gods tend to have the same morals as their followers. They have the same prejudices, and they hate the same people. Gods provide the answers to questions their followers can't answer. Gods support the hierarchical structures in the societies of their followers.

All gods, including the christian one, are inventions of man. All attributes of the gods make sense once you realize how the came into "existence".

May 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm |