home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. i_know_everything

never gonna use Delta again

May 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Delta's dawn what's that yearning you have on? Could it be your massahs gone, Deta dawn?

May 8, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  2. Robert

I think I'll use DELTA MORE next time. Way to go, DELTA!

May 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Brenda

Give me a break. Much a do about nothing.

May 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Andrew

Yous be trollin.

May 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  3. Andrew

I wonder if they advertise during Family Guy or Southpark.

May 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • namethename

I stopped watching Family Guy- jokes about my religion I do not find funny.
      Just like if I would have fun at atheist's expense- they would not be laughing with me.

May 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Gregory

Let's see, cartoons are bad but priest pedaphiles are ok. Typical catholic response.

May 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • namethename

I am not catholic, Pope will rot in hell most likely as far as my opinion goes.
      But I can not stand push of somebody's believes on me(including atheism). Catholics don't do that to me.

May 8, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Andrew

Actually. That Atheist may laugh with you. Besides, Atheism is not a religion. It is quite literally a belief that is absent of all religion.

Its just like the whole science vs religion debate. The major problem with that argument is science is designed to be challenged and questioned for the sake of understanding while in religion things are absolute. There is no questioning when the information is concrete.

Atheists are generally very open minded people and I myself am an agnostic, which is about as open minded as you can get about the subject. So your safe from at least offending me even with some of the most crudest of insults you can come up with.

May 8, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • Becca

You to that right Gregory! I will not stop watching those cartoons either no matter if they make fun anything ot anyone!
      A person does not have to watch anything on TV that they do not want to watch. And I never have used Delta and I never will.

May 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • Javier

Please don't lump all Catholics in with one guy who can't take a joke. BTW, we're making progress with the whole priest thing. However, like everything else, it takes GENERATIONS of mentions and whispers until a debate is considered, and GENERATIONS of debate to propose a resolution, and GENERATIONS of prayer to finally put it into practice. LOL

May 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  4. Jesus

My children. I urge you to communicate your displeasure with Delta Airlines (KLM, Air France) about pulling their ads from the Daily Show and correspond with Kellogg's praising them for their sponsorship of John Stuart and his efforts to demonstrate how my teachings have been twisted, yet again, to limit the rights of others. For centuries many have ignored my wisdom and used my name to promote their own agenda of hate and intolerance. Please stop.

By the way John, I did exist. Sorry to burst that bubble.

May 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • websterkrawly

Heh. You realize you just committed one of the gravest sins by what you have done. Impersonating the son of god, for any reason, is a huge no-no.

Don't do that anymore. No one is impressed. Some of us even pity your soul.

May 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • JonStewart

Bubble bursted – PS What are you doing this week – say about 11:00? Call me! We can kvetch about the old, OLD, days.

May 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Just another M&M wannahbe looking for His 2 senses that are left smelly and touchy! 🙂 🙁 🙂

May 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Jesus

websterkrawly, If I had satirized Mohamed, would you be as equally offended?

May 8, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Judas

You forgot Korean Air, oh infallable one!

May 8, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • Jesus

Oh yea, websterkrawly, God is capitalized by good God-fearing Christians.

May 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • websterkrawly

@ the imposter: I'm not even slightly offended.

I'm trying to encourage you to think before you act. Impetuous behavior does not speak well for your cause.

May 8, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Regis990

@websterkrawly It's only a major no-no if God actually existed. He doesn't, so no harm, no foul.

May 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • Andrew

Who would want to follow such a tyrannical dictator is beyond me anyways. According to the old testament god is a fricken genocidal maniac that tortures his own devout followers. Job deserves better.

May 8, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • websterkrawly

And now you bring god into it as something to be feared. I am so sorry for you to think this way. I don't generally capitalize god because it's not exclusively a proper name. In this case I should have because to you it is the name of your higher power. For that I apologize. I really hadn't anticipated being attacked for something that incredibly inconsequential.

The truth, if you really want to know, is that my religion doesn't allow for hatred of any sort. The patience and kindness we exhibit is for the benefit of everyone, ourselves included. What kind of world would we live in if anger ruled all the decision making?

Oh. Yeah. Nevermind.

May 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • websterkrawly

Pardon the off topic comment.

@Regis990: Literally laughed out loud. 😀

May 8, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Jesus

websterkrawly, Over 50 years of observing how religious fanaticism and bigotry have tormented the lives of others does not result in impetuous comments, it results in frustration and shame. Our country was founded on freedom, but people like Donohue continue to preach "patience and kindness" while he steps on the rights of others. You have still not answered my question. If I satirized Mohamed, would you be as equally offended? I'm not attacking you websterkrawly, I'm questioning your motives. Are you thinking for yourself or following a dogma?

May 8, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • websterkrawly

@he must have his own name: This is what I was hoping for. The truth. With genuine love I will off this to you.

I was just like you. Angry and frustrated that people couldn't see the injustice and hatred around them. I couldn't understand why it was that people with such distinct foulness about them were allowed to thrive.

For a long time I wished to be rich. I wished to be famous and powerful and byond all things able to overcome the hypocracy that is thrust upon pretty much every man, woman and child on earth.

Then one day it occured to me, because I met someone very special, that all of the things I wanted were right in front of me without notoriety, riches or a following.

I realized that I would likely never have fortune or fame. But I can always have patience.

My motivation is this. I wish to prove that one even tempered voice can spread reason.

I do not object to your means. Only your method. Be smart, always. Never allow an opposing force to gain the high ground. And recognize that not all forces are opposing.

Some, I promise, are neutral.

And as far as offense goes, I subscribe to the belief that it is a negative emotion. I don't like negative energy so I won't bother with offense unless it pertains to generalized stupidity.

May 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • Javier

Wow. This thread got really dumb, really fast. Seriously people, lighten up. LOL Who cares if he used Jesus' name?

May 8, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • websterkrawly

@Javier: He started serious and angry. He transitioned to serious and respectful.

I suppose there are some people that are simply beyond reach when it comes to reason but I remain hopeful, in this case.

May 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • sugar

@Javier: That's right! In fact him using Jesus as his name negates his whole argument so the point is moot. After all a Christian trying to spread Christianity by breaking one of the major tenets of the religion can hardly be taken seriously.

May 9, 2012 at 2:34 am |
  5. PageWraith

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights should be thanking Stewart. Now people have heard of them.

May 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • Menlow

The point is the league called it hate speech and tried to get him fired and Delta caved in to this shameless economic black.mail. You are not required to find every joke funny or every idea valid, but you should not suppress free speech to allow the easily offended to feel more comfortable. Think founding fathers–think consti.tution. Please, think for your self. Stop donating to the league, they support bad things. Support all free speech

May 9, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
  6. Edward Beazley

Does Delta adertise on Fox?

May 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  7. ItSOnLyME

Well, Delta has flow me for the last time. Been nice doing business with you for the past 30 years. Never again.

May 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • Javier

Your overreaction over Delta's actions is just as bad as Delta's overreaction over the manger gag.

May 8, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • Menlow

delta has brought on this backlash through its' actions. for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

May 9, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  8. websterkrawly

Websters defines "manger" as : a trough or open box in a stable designed to hold feed or fodder for livestock

The catholic church decided it is mad. The catholic church wants to have its way. So the catholic church will threaten, harass and condemn all who oppose it.

Just like they have always done and just like they will always do while media and corporations continue to bow to them. Freedom of speech is non-sectarian. Period. If they don't like it they can change the channel.

May 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Andrew

Galileo lied I say! This whole "Earth revolves around the Sun" theory is a bunch of hogwash!

May 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • websterkrawly

@Andrew: Exactly. 😉

May 8, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Javier

As a Catholic, I'm offended at your use of the word hogwash. Prepare for my angry letter and my pulling of FedEx commercials.

May 8, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Lump

I'm a Christian, quite devout actually, and so obviously it is understandable to me why people would be offended. But first of all, it is by no means "hate speech." It is comedy, but more than that it is political commentary, which brings up very poignant perspectives that for some reason people just don't get. The people who get it (and enjoy it, and support it) are the ones who have no voice. The policy makers, the politicians and insiders, just don't get the irony and continue to keep their head in the sand. That is exactly why pundits like Jon Stewart are encouraged to shout increasingly louder...because they just don't get it!

May 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • PageWraith

Thank You.

May 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Javier

Preach on, brotha!

May 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  10. sskrill

I didn't realize one man was authorized to speak for 80% of the nation. What a burden that must be.

May 8, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • what??

I didn't realize one person was authorized to speak for 20% of the nation. What a burden that must be

May 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • Javier

I didn't realize two people could represent 66.6% of the number-based witty comments. What a burden that must be.

May 8, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  11. xgirl360

Just booked a flight back east, had I seen this, I would have picked a different Airline. Looks like Delta got the last $600 they'll ever get from me.

May 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • namethename

Your parents let you book with their money?

May 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • Javier

What is money? Are you part of the 1%?

May 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • namethename's mother

you see, namethename has not been granted access to his parents credit cards yet and so assumes that as you are a girl that you aren't old enough for your own cards. Sorry–we are trying to train him.

May 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
  12. lloyd roberts

Does Delta advertise on the Trinity Broadcasting Network, you know the televangels who seek millions in donations from poor bible thumpers in mostly southern repub states and then spends those donations on themselves with lavish homes, cars, trips, etc. And tax exempt too. Delta, you really let me down. If you are becoming a born again airline then let me know and you can have my SkyMiles card back

May 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  13. LostFound

Delta is still an airline? I thought they went bankrupt. Oh, that's right, you can declare bankruptcy, screw your creditors out of millions, and continue on, business as usual. Just ask Trump...or Romney – after all, it's perfectly legal, right? I'd rather walk than ever fly Delta again.

May 8, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
  14. soul68

I think I'll fly Delta on my next flight instead of Southwest just out of principle. The Catholic League should stick to addressing the problems within their own church before throwing stones at others.

Besides, it's just a joke. But we all know they don't have a sense of humor.

May 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Bill E. Bob

Did you get the airlines backwards, or did you not understand the story?

May 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
  15. Kate

I'm Catholic and I'm going to buy extra Kellogg's products. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Donohue.

May 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  16. M.

Going along with Donohue seems like a... reasonable... move.

Nope. Sorry. Can't keep a straight face while typing "Donohue" and "reasonable" in the same sentence.

May 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
  17. wealthcoaches

What part of COMEDY Central don't these Yahoos get? Catholics getting upset over a joke on a Comedy Cable channel... that's actually quite funny... and more than just a bit hypocritical. I'd boycott Delta... but I never fly them anyway. Instead, I'm going to boycott The Catholic League – that will hurt 'em.

May 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • namethename

Would you laugh with me if I started joking about your religion/atheist believes?

May 8, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • namethenames' grandmother

I'm sorry, we are trying to train him to be more patient and tolerant.

May 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
  18. Matt

I think I will boycott Delta, won't miss them much.

May 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • minavaan

Yes, let's boycott Delta. I never liked the airline anyways, and chose other airlines whenever I could.

May 8, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
  19. JohnRJohnson

Can't wait to see Stewart's response to this idiotic decision.

May 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
  20. JT

Well, nice knowing you, Delta. You won't be getting a cent from me ever again.

May 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Tiger

Oh, no, bet Delta's quaking. Stewart ain't funny anyway

May 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • JT

It's a matter of principle, so naturally I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand.

May 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm |