home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. RZ70

Geez. Even the stick that Donahue has up his @$$ has a stick up its @$$.

By the way, speaking as one of the '80%' who is 'Christian'.... no, I don't feel the way you do, and please, please, please, please, please, don't claim that Catholics represent all of Christianity. Now, don't get me wrong, if the only choices were 'Catholic' or pagan, I'd be one miserable pagan.

May 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Tired of Christian Lies

the actual total number of christians in the US is 78.4% and of that number only 23.9% is Catholic. where they get the other 1.6% from is beyond me.

May 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  2. triekc

I forego travel or pay more avoid flying Delta. John Stewart speaks silent majority of reasonable minded intellectual citizens.

May 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Man Love

Well Delta just lost my business and I fly monthly. If were going to live in such a politically correct society then just about everything will offend someone somewhere and I choose not to live in that society and I encourage people like John Stewart to keep pushing the envelope and question everything.

May 8, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • RKSMichigan

May 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • So sad

RE: "RKSMichigan Why is it that non-Christians must consider themselves intellectuals, and imply that Christians are not?"

Why do Christians insist they have an invisible friend? The only person who ever 'heard' him lived thousands of years ago before we learned that szhizophrenics hear voices. Many intellectuals (not all, you bigot) don't believe those old claims. Many christians don't either. Sorry. Would an all-knowing, all-powerful, LOVING god have allowed Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot and other mass murderers to kill millions without acting. No chance.

May 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Tired of Christian Lies

RKSMichigan why is it that Christians think that anyone who isnt Christian is an immediate Satanic Worshiper? Why is it that Christians advertise themselves as the only peaceful religion when in fact they have more innocent blood on their hands than Muslims could ever dream to have? Why is it that Christians claim to accept all religious ideals but in reality disrespects anyone who believes in any religion but Christianity(or Judaism)?

May 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • djwazu

F Delta a crapy airline anyway! Shouldn't these so called preachers pay taxes? you want to be involved in politics pay your fkng taxes or STFKUP!

May 9, 2012 at 12:12 am |
  3. Astraka

I'm part of the 80 %, a woman and not offended. I am also not Catholic. Considering their declining numbers, I can understand why there has been no apology. I would be disappointed if Jon did apologize.

May 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  4. 66Biker

So they canceled their ads. The big question of the day is... Who cares? Not I said I...

May 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Jerry

Dear Sickandtired, God will judge.

May 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Yabba Dabba Don't

There is no god. It's just you imagination. I could go on and on, but it really boils down to that.

May 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Have your god judge this, f*uck you f*ucking moron!

May 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Tired of Christian Lies

God is the imaginary friend of the intellectually disabled.

May 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Nick

@ Tired of Christian Lies

"God is the imaginary friend of the intellectually disabled"

AWESOME!!

May I borrow that?

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Cinchy

Does anyone really buy Stewart's schtick of "hey I'm just a harmless comedian, not a real journalist" Yeah, right. If you know anything about his show you know he and his staff spend enormous amounts of time researching issues. He used to make his liberal points somewhat subtly. Now he's an unabashed liberal, and a lot less funny and entertaining than he used to be.

May 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Grow-up!

May 8, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Cinchy

I did, that's when I started laughing at other stuff more and at the Daily Show less. It's tired.

May 8, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Tired of Christian Lies

Cinchy if you ever watched the Daily Show(and I highly doubt you ever did) you would realise that Jon Stewart bashes anyone and everyone no matter what side of the aisle they are on. He also bashes any and all news channels, to say hes a news casters is like saying you believe that Faux News Channel is actually fair and balanced.

May 8, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Thomas

Right you are, how dare he research his stories and report based on facts.....I'm sure you prefer to be lied to by Fox News.

May 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Leocatz

Unabashed Liberal? Well, you're probably right (hmm, yeah... I'll leave the inadvertent pun). But that surely didn't prevent him from taking Obama to task last week, or did you miss that episode. Stewart is a comedian who is ALSO a social satirist. He points out absurbity in our society. Do far right politicians and religious folks get a disproportionate amount of attention on his show? Absolutely. but perhaps that is because they are more absurb.

May 8, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • Cinchy

Um... sorry to inject some facts here, but Stewart is an unabashed liberal. He'll throw in, very occasionally, a jab at a democrat every now and then to feign impartiality. If you think he's fair and balanced, you probably think Fox News is as well. Wow. Do you really exist?

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • djwazu

The best show on tv. Period

May 9, 2012 at 12:08 am |
  7. Tired of Christian Lies

Welcome to America where the First Amendment now reads "Freedom of Speech as long as you dont offend someone(which will happen pretty damned often)" To the "Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights" i have this to say and I hope it reaches to your last 2 dying brain cells: Words only have meaning if you give them meaning as long as you can look at a joke and realise it is a joke you will never be offended.

May 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Joe

Also, Stewart has tried to use images of Muhammed. After South Park creators received death threats for a Muhammed episode, Comedy Central no longer allows it on the network – by either censoring the image or refusing to broadcast the episodes altogether.

May 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Cinchy

Right, sure... Stewart would have actually done this. Yep, a huh, right.

May 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  9. JB

Isn't the Catholic League pretty much just Bill Donohue? Why do people give that shrill loon the time of day?

May 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Cinchy

I would, and I'm not Christian. I would also object to denying the Holocaust and poking fun at Mohammad. I don't favor gov't censorship, but I do favor private citizens and corporations drawing lines in the sand. Maybe you need to think about what the word integrity means.

May 8, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • Paul

Yes, Donahue in a fringe radical and the "League" is his own personal mouthpiece. I'm from an extended family of practicing Catholics and we've always considered him a looney who certainly does not speak for us.

May 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

The trouble with corporations permitted to draw lines in the sand is that they become the de facto government with utterly no interest in individual freedom.

May 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Cinchy

Yes, sure, Stewart is really edgy isn't he? Except why don't I think he'd ever use a disrespectful image of Muhammad in any Daily Show skit? Oh, I know. It turns out he's not that edgy after all. He's down right predictable.

May 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Long Live Bearded Clams!

18 pages of comments on vaginas and going strong. Big score for Stewart!

May 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Love the name!

May 8, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
  12. John

Geez, Delta sucks...

May 8, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
  13. brayden

i dont know about anyone else, but if i dont agree with something on a program, i dont blame the advertisers at all, i dont even think twice about who is advertising the program. Whoever is in charge of the advertising department needs to know this, cause it sounds like it would be a problem in theory, but in reality it isnt a big deal. Anyways, jon stewart is a comedian, not a news anchor. His job is to make fun of the news in order to keep people aware of what is happening, while keeping them entertained. Nothing wrong with this.

May 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  14. jerry148

I'd like to consider myself a pretty conservative Catholic. But the Catholic League....well, as Kramer once put it, "they're pretty *bzzzt* out there!".

May 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  15. scott

can't make everyone happy. someone is always going ot be offended by politically oriented humor. so much for turning the other cheek Donahue

May 8, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Chris

Hard to imagine that the guy who made the comments in the interview below would be so easily offended:

May 8, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • Birth Cannon

Oh wow, he's really a pig!

May 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • mandarax

This pig says straight up that a priest merely fondling a child's buttocks should not be considered abuse, but then takes offense at the Daily Show?!? What a nauseating hypocritical sc.umbag.

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Tim from Toledo

Just watched it – the man is a nut job. Unfortunately he demonstrates the same point of view that allowed this behavior to continue for so long.....Scary stuff.

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Sarah

What's so wrong with associating Christmas with women's reproductive organs anyway? Isn't that kind of the point of Christmas, or doesn't Bill Donohue understand where babies come from?

May 8, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Cinchy

Oh Sarah... your parents didn't raise you well.

May 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • AGuest9

That's Easter, not Christmas.

May 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Birth Cannon

I think she was talking about the manger, which is that usurped Winter Solstice holiday.

May 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Sarah

Perhaps I should explain better.... if Jesus was born into the world, a woman was involved, no?

May 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Cinchy

Well Sarah, you see... ach, it'd take too much energy...

May 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Yabba Dabba Don't

By that logic, a man would have been involved too, but noooooooooooooooooo!

May 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Miss Demeanor

The cosmic irony of this coming from the church that won't keep pedophile priests off kids (or prosecute them ) is breathtaking really.

May 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Sarah

No, go ahead Cinchy, please do explain. Do I think it was not all that well thought out by Stewart's writers? Meh, probably. But much more disturbing is that Donohue finds women's organs so deeply, deeply dirty and offensive that he's going to make this kerfuffle about it. Go back and read the article. That line about "consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead"? Why should that be disturbing? All of us, and all of our mothers, were there at one point. And if I remember the Bible story correctly, the pain of a teenage girl giving birth in a lowly stable is kind of important. Donohue's fear of women seems to be a much bigger issue here.

May 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Smurfette

RE: "Yabba Dabba Don't...By that logic, a man would have been involved too, but noooooooooooooooooo!"
      When Joseph returned from out of town and his better half, realizing she was preggers but didn't want to lose her 'meal ticket', she tried to think fast. Saying, "Oh... it was divine..." (why didn't Joseph say, "I bet it was," ?) wasn't the brightest idea, but it worked and a new cult was born.

May 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • AGuest9

Ah, yes, Birth Cannon. Confused which thread I was on. It's been a long day. 🙂

May 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • AGuest9

Smurfette, Joseph did. Remember his dream with the angel after he decided to "divorce her quietly"? (Matthew 1:19)

May 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Joe

While I don't understand the fervent push to protect a fetus right up until it is born (then good luck and you're on your own kid) I do understand the "manager" analogy. Most of the corporate managers throughout my career, both male and female, could accurately be described in slang terms for that part of the female anatomy.

May 8, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Nah

joe: "While I don't understand the fervent push to protect a fetus right up until it is born (then good luck and you're on your own kid) I do understand the [b]"manager"[/b] analogy. Most of the [b]corporate managers[/b] throughout my career, both male and female, could accurately be described in slang terms for that part of the female anatomy."

*facepalm*

May 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Robert

Manger. Jesus Sling. Christ crutch. Savior hanger. Jehovah bunk. Messiah mat. Manger.

May 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Sickandtired

It's so hard to be a Christian sometimes. So the Catholic church takes offense to a joke about Jon Stewart's manger in the v....a but think it's okay that women should be denied birth control? I'm tired of this country. I'm tired of y'alls left and right wing nonsense. Hypocrites and ignorant people on both sides. Smh.

May 8, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Interested48

Guess I'll be flying Southwest Airlines from now on.

May 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • Joe Gila

GREAT !!! I won't have to sit next to you on DELTA then!

May 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm |