home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. brian

get jerry falwell and larry flynt involved, then we'll be talking fun fun fun...

May 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
  2. Johnny Genius

This is the sort of thing Islamist Extremists get upset about.

May 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Oh, I think Delta knows its flying public. Delta can probably also read the ratings from the latest period. Since both Jon Stewart and Bill Maher couldn't even crack the top 25 among cable news shows, I doubt that Delta is losing much sleep about losing your business. Vote with your feet and WALK to wherever it is you're going. Heh, heh, heh.

May 8, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
  3. Lillian

80% of this nation is Christian? That's news to me, and I actually AM a Christian. That said, I'm not at all offended by this sketch, but I'm very offended that Delta Airlines would let a fringe group like The Catholic League, which has only about a 230k membership, dictate advertising policy which reaches millions and millions of customers, many of whom do not share The Catholic League's viewpoint. But, that's just another reason I won't be using Delta any time in the near future.

May 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Lillian, you seem to be a reasonable and intelligent person by your post. Please do not take this the wrong way as it is not meant to be but why are you a christian?

May 8, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

That's good, Lillian, because I WILL be flying Delta and I wouldn't want to run the risk of sitting by somebody like you who actually thinks Jon Stewart is funny. Happy hoofing it!

May 8, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  4. Voice of Reason

@OneFineBlonde

I think Sean Harris and you should hook-up.

May 8, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  5. Cinchy

I would have so much more respect for Stewart - plus he might seem funny again - if he really went after some religion other than Christianity and admitted that liberals are every bit as goofy and hypocritical as conservatives - and targeted them as well. Every once in a Blue Moon he'll throw out a taunt at something or someone non-Christian or non-conservative. He does this so seldom, and so lamely that it shows how he is now predictable. Even worse... he's not funny anymore. I'm still waiting for a slew of bits featuring disrespectful images of Muhammad, or Jews wearing front boxes, or the inordinate number of female democrats who are butugly, or highlighting Trayvon Martin's drug and legal issues to show he might not be so incapable of aggression after all, etc.

May 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Lillian

Um...Trayvon Martin doesn't have any drug or legal issues. The child had never been arrested for anything. Please get your facts straight.

May 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • Eeesh

First off, he does. He generally skewers other religions (like his own judaism, and islam) but hey, christians give him the best material.

Secondly, he's supposed to be a charicature of a liberal talking head, that's his shtick. It's the same with colbert who is doing the conservative side.

Get it? No, probably not, faux news has probably convinced you already that john stewart is the devil incarnate.

May 8, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • Billsen

In other words, it's only funny if it echoes your hatred of all of those things. Thanks for sharing. Call Dennis Miller – I'm sure he can help you out.

May 8, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • skog

He hasn't been funny since Corbert was on. It really is not a comedy show. He is a political show that caters to the left and vails his criticism of the right through what he interprets as comedy. It allows him to get away with more than if he tried to be a serious commentator of political events. Anytime he goes to far his cult followers say "c'mon man its a comedy show".

Plus is he or does he think his audience is deaf. He is constantly hollering. Un funny

May 8, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • Cinchy

Seriously, people exist who are unaware of Trayvon Martin's drug and legal issues? There are people who believe Christianity provides better joke material than Judaism or Islam? Let me say this again: compared to Judaism and Islam??? Um... what color is the sky in your world of make believe?

May 8, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • Eeesh

@skog

you might have a point if his show didn't air ON COMEDY CENTRAL! you know, the channel that has comedy shows and movies? John Stewart is a comedian, he does stand up as well as comedy on political events, his personna on the daily show is that of a liberal commentator, the same as colbert is as a conservative commentator.

You clearly just don't get his shtick.

May 8, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Cinchy

If you think it's a schtick, you're a tool. He clearly has an agenda. He devotes diminishing amounts of time to satire in favor of straight ahead punditry. If you can't see this, you are being misled.

May 8, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Eeesh

@Cinchy

Yes you buffoon, Christianity in current events generally give a lot more material. Please, tell me about something hilarious that jews or muslims are doing, heck gimme hindus, and buddhists as well, in this country when an issue pops up and someone tries to speak for the entire religious community and says something completely ridiculous. Now look at Bob Donahue. I rest my case

and please, a tool? because when I watch his show of him being a liberal commentator I know it's supposed to be comedy, I don't watch the show for anything more than that. Anyone who does.... now those people are tools. Sorry if you believe that John Stewart is trying to use his show in an effort to be taken more seriously than real news stations but then again, we've already established you lack in the humor department.

May 8, 2012 at 11:19 pm |

Lillian,

You ARE a gullible little thing, aren't you? The "child," Trayvon Martin was six-feet-three inches tall, according to his driver's license. And it has been verified by his school that he was suspended for bringing a pipe to school, along with a baggie which had recently contained marijuana. I guess you missed the Tweets from his buddies asking for "plant" - as soon as possible.

When the school authorities searched Martin's belongings to find the marker that he was using to deface school property, they found a bag full of approximately 12 pieces of women's jewelry - together with what they characterized as a burglar's tool.

So dream on about the innocent "child" Trayvon . . . who, on his third suspension from school, should have been in his room with NO entertainment of any kind, instead of being left unsupervised by his miserable excuse for a father, who decided to go out for the evening, leaving his little juvenile delinquent unattended.

May 8, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Eeesh

@Blondie

What, in any of those crimes that you listed, legitimizes a man running him down and killing an unarmed person. Were any of those crimes violent against another person? Would you only be outraged if the 16 year old was white and had a perfect record?

Next time think before anymore of that word vomit comes out, k?

May 8, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • Cinchy

Dear Eeesh: Muslim women are trapped somewhere in the 13th or 14 century. There. How's that? Give me another 0.5 seconds and I'll come up with 20 more examples of how goofy Christianity is, it's downright normal compared to these other pieces of work... gotta go now, there's a sacred cow that used to be my Uncle Leonard needing to be bathed. You don't read much, do you Eesh?

May 8, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Eeesh

Cinchy

Current events please, you know specific things that happen because of a given religion..... you do realize that John Stewart doesn't just sit on his show going, "You know... christianity believes in this, hahahaha"

Also, you want to talk about how islam subjugates women.... lets look at THIS ARTICLE where catholics are angry for being called out for doing THE SAME THING.

Cheese and cra.ckers.... you just look at the world through anti-everyone else glasses don't ya?

May 8, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Cinchy

That's it eesh... no more responses until you post your high school diploma or a GED certificate. You are, simply, not very well educated. Muslim women are beheaded in the name of Honor Killings. It is illegal to practice any religion other than Islam in Saudi Arabia. Ach... you're uninformed. For you to attempt to belittle Christianity relative to Judasim or Islam is why you need to ask for a refund from your school district.

May 8, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • Eeesh

so you're going to ignore the current events part in favor of trying to attack my education level.... as precious as that is let me ask you this. Would you find it funnier if John Stewart made fun of women being beheaded in Saudi Arabia ..... or that states are trying to force women get a transv.aginal procedure because some crusty old white men don't like abortions? Yeah, let's all laugh at the muslim women because god forbid we offend some christians in OUR COUTRY who are trying to humiliate women in the name of religion...

Go on, keep trying to call my education into question, I don't need to prove to you that I'm smart, I have my college diploma to keep me warm at night (and yes that's a 4 year college diploma from a top 50 school in the US thanks).

You keep proving over and over that you're just angry that stewart is able to skewer christians (not all christians mind you) because some crazy groups, in the name of christianity, want to do some really effed up stuff. Shame on that John Stewart for calling them out on their bulls.hit! He should apologize for your ignorance!

May 8, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  6. Chris

How about the catholic league apologize for molesting little preacher boys then well talk about jon stewart apologizing for a skit on a Comedy show!!!!

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • Cinchy

That's right Chris, because these are equivalent issues, aren't they? Why not say because the Catholic Church is not perfect, then no one should ever consider the sensibilities of Christians. Good one.

May 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Lillian

Chris has a very valid point. The Catholic Church needs to get its own house in order before it is fit to comment on the moral turpitude of others. Molesting little boys and allowing the priests who do it to transfer to other parishes in order to protect them from prosecution is far, far worse than a sketch depicting a manger between a woman's legs.

May 8, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • Cinchy

Lillian, seriously: One has to first be perfect before speaking out against something or someone offensive? Do you have any idea how morally bankrupt this sounds? I'm not perfect. Does that mean I can't voice an opinion? To you I bet it does.

May 8, 2012 at 11:10 pm |

Guess what, Chris?

Delta has already made its decision. It didn't ask you to vote. Delta made the correct decision for its flying public. I appreciate their decision and it gives me a positive feeling about flying Delta.

Don't like it? Vote with your feet. Happy hiking to wherever your final destination takes you!

May 8, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • Jadugara

To Cinchy, who wrote...

..."Lillian, seriously: One has to first be perfect before speaking out against something or someone offensive? Do you have any idea how morally bankrupt this sounds?"....

That's pretty funny, considering it was Jesus who supposedly said "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone".... Was that "morally bankrupt" for Jesus to say?

May 9, 2012 at 1:50 am |
  7. tom

Sorry there catholic league dude, but I highly doubt even 50% of this nation cares about organized religion. but go ahead and inflate your numbers, if it makes you feel good. everyone else does!

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • phoenix224

According to gallup 32% of americans have no religous affiliation.

May 8, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
  8. skog

John Stewart is about as funny as dirt. His only audience is a liberal political base that would laugh if he punched a republicans baby.

May 8, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Actually, I've seen funnier dirt, Skog. Did you know that the remarkably unfunny Stewart was rated much, much lower than "Pawn Stars" in the last ratings period? It's true. Neither Stewart nor the execrable Bill Maher cracked the top 25. So my message to them is: Na na na na boo boo.

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • skyjmpr

More intelligent discourse from the intellectually challenged...

May 8, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • Cinchy

He used to be funny. He's gotten stale and predictable.

May 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
  9. divinefury

80% of the Christians feel? Bold of him to speak on my behalf. I was not offended, and I'm Christian. My brother wasn't offended, also Christian...getting a general theme here? Yeah, these idiots do not speak for even half the Christians and probably less than 1% of the demographic that watch the show. Cry more religious nut bags!

May 8, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Well, Fury, perhaps you won't mind if I speak for myself. I applaud Delta's putting the kibbosh on what was undeniably a major incursion into the realm of not-just-bad-but-awful taste.

I can't wait to fly Delta again to express my appreciation. I'm assuming you won't be flying Delta and that's a good thing - it means I won't be having to sit next to you.

May 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Stephen

A true Christian, not in name only, respects God and His word. Jesus was born in a manger to a virgin to show that He was not of this earth. He is holy. To make fun of anything pertaining to the Bible would not not make any Christian who is a true follower of Christ happy, much less laugh. That person would be outraged and saddened. Unfortunately there are too many people who call themselves Christian, and have really not allowed Jesus to love and forgive them, that will not be acknowledged by God when their time comes.

May 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
  10. Skipper

Delta has no spine..... People seem to miss the fact that it's a COMEDY show. Sometimes comedy is not pretty.... That's what makes it funny.

May 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Funny to you, perhaps, Skipper. Obnoxious to me. I think Delta knows its flying public and has done the appropriate thing by eliminating a very obnoxious skit by the very obnoxious Jon Stewart.

I can't wait to fly Delta again to express my appreciation. By the way, your darling "comedian" ranked way down below "Pawn Stars" in the last ratings period. Na na na na boo boo.

May 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • skyjmpr

Then turn to some other station Blondie. I'm sure Hannity has some nonsense to spout that would interest you.

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm |

@OneFineBlonde

The flying public? Did you say public? Guess what, keep your religion out of the flying public!

May 8, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • Eeesh

@Blondie

I'm sure Pawn Stars has also won a boatload of emmys too right? I mean if it's THAT good to rank higher than the daily show? Or can we both agree that TV rankings are bull anyways as the highest ranking shows are sh.it like Jersey Short which I can think we can both agree is not exactly a great TV show.

May 8, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  11. ja-coffalotte

I've flown Delta, a lot, and they have effed me over each and every time.

May 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • Mike

right on!

May 8, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Turp Griswald

Very CS Delta. I'm switching airlines.

May 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Good, Turp. (I'm pretty sure it's actually "Twirp.) I'm glad you're switching away from Delta. That means that when I fly Delta, I won't be sitting next to you.

May 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Your smell of ignorance isn't wanted anyway!

May 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm |

@OneFineBlonde

My last post was for you, smelly one!

May 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • skyjmpr

Careful there. Would hate to be on an airplane that only turns to the right.

May 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Mike

right on Turp!

May 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • God

OneFineBlonde should read OneDumbBlonde

May 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • phoenix224

good job!!!

May 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
  13. Yeah right

If Viacom stands by Stewart....good for them! One of the reasons I left the Catholic church many years ago, they don't speak to the people and can be just as prejudice as the people they proclaim are prejudice to them. It's satire, older than the church itself probably, suck it up and get used to it.

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

No thanks. We don't care to get "used to it," we don't plan to "get used to it" and we certainly could not care less what you think.

Delta did the right thing. It's time to yell, "STOP" when somebody like Jon Stewart goes this far into the territory of not-just-bad-but-terrible taste.

By the way, I was delighted to see that during the most recent ratings period, neither Stewart nor the execrable Bill Maher cracked the top 25 cable shows. They were both beaten like drums by such gems as "Pawn Stars." Na na na na boo boo.

May 8, 2012 at 10:50 pm |

@OneFineBlonde

It was probably the 78% that was watching such an inspiring, thought provoking presentation!

May 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • skyjmpr

So stick to "Pawn Stars", "Storage Wars" and brain dead fare of their ilk. Leave the challenging and thought provoking shows to people who don't rigidly conform to some defined orthodoxy and are capable of independent reasoning.

May 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Mike

not so fine blonde might be a better moniker... from the little we're getting to see of her!

May 8, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  14. carlyt1

"We could have pressed for him to be fired". Who do they think they are? It is unbelievable with all the real problem in the Church and caused by the Church that they have to balls to complain about this.

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm |

Control, control, control...

May 8, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • MIGUEL REAL

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FROM ALL THIS USELESS NO TALENT COMEDIANS-I'M GLAD DELTA AIRLINE
      SHOWED SOME COURAGE IS VERY RARE THIS DAYS.
      THANKS DELTA FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING.

May 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Mike

absolutely right!

May 8, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Not only do they have the balls to complain (as you so delicately put it), they had the gear to win!

Na na na na boo boo.

Neither Jon Stewart nor Bill Maher cracked the top 25 cable shows in the last ratings period. Pretty pathetic. They lost out to "Pawn Stars" and that show that's always chasing around after Sasquatch. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

May 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • Andrew

carly i would agree with that.

May 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
  15. FreeSpeech

Free speech is waning. When large group X doesn't like what Y is saying and as a result group X organizes to get Y fired or harmed financially, then future Y's will see this and try not to offend – diminishing free speech. It's happening. And it's harmful.

May 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Well FreeSpeech, let's keeping fighting for your moniker!

May 8, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Sarah

I'm not agreeing with Donohue here, but I don't think anyone's free speech is being violated here. The beauty of free speech is that Person #1 has a right to say whatever he wants, but that means Person #2 has just as much right to express his opinion about what the first guy said. Boycotts are legal, and civil argument is legal, and all of these things fall under free speech connections. Bill Donohue's speech may be poorly considered and loony, but he has every right to rally any other loonies who want to listen to him. Likewise, I have a right to call him a loony and choose not to support anyone who supports him, or to attempt to convince people of my opinion. It all works itself out.

May 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

What? You mean like the lefties who are always trying to get Limbaugh thrown off the air?

And by the way, good luck with that. Limbaugh actually has listeners - unlike the pathetically unfunny Jon Stewart and Bill Maher. Couldn't crack the top 25 among cable shows in the most recent ratings period.

When "Pawn Stars" and the Bigfoot hunters are beating you out, it may be time to find some writers who are actually funny. Heh. Heh. Heh.

May 8, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
  16. McBob79

More to come... Delta is the tip. We'll see the show change when the wallet is hit.

May 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

I'm hoping you are wrong.

May 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • skyjmpr

Eh... not so much. Given that Stewart's regular audience is relatively small compared to others, the show is not meant for mass appeal to everyone, and the demo runs to educated, liberal and with a few bucks in their pocket, plenty of other sponsors will be happy to jump in. This skit was nothing out of the ordinary from the satire the show has been running for years. Over reaction on the part of Delta, and it won't change a thing.

May 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • johnboy

I can't wait to see jon stewart making fun of this! i with kellogs on this one.

May 8, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  17. TommyBlackflag

Check back in 6-9 months and see if Delta is still not advertising on the Daily Show. If the CPM is right, Delta's agency will convince them to abandon their hollow virtues in favor of a better media plan to reach their target demographic. It's business. These shallow gestures only go so far.

May 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

I love it when people are spot on!

May 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Yeah, Tommy, that would be a really good theory IF anybody besides you and a couple of your buddies here were actually watching Jon Stewart. Neither Stewart nor Bill Maher was able to crack the top 25 among cable shows in the last ratings period.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 8, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
  18. Citizen Ghost

Someone needs to protect Catholics from the idiocy of Donohue and his Catholic League.

May 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Hello! Can you scream that one out for us!

May 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
  19. gggg

Dear Mr. Donohue,

First, congratulations on accepting that Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians. You need them to get anywhere near 80%. Second, The Daily Show skit was a rebuttal to the hate speech and actions being offered up by those who would pretend to know what is good for every woman in the country. The ones who should be apologizing are those who would attempt to pass laws that are oppressive and which would attempt to codify into law that the female of a species, at least the human species, is merely an incubator. Congratulations on that count as well. You've shown yourselves to the fundamentalist equivalent to a Muslim extremist. This Christian would like you to do me a favor. Please shut up and quit trying to force my wife and daughters to abide by your ideas of virtue. Your virtue sucks and I want nothing to do with it. Jon Stewart is funny and has found a way to make people aware of the lunacy in the world and still be entertaining. That's more than you can say.

May 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Cinchy

Sorry gggg: you lost me after the 10,000th word. try shortening it a bit.

May 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

I thought what you said was very passionate and made perfect sense to me!

May 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • Nick

Spot on, and well done.

May 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Rick

Where is the Thumbs Up button for this post? Spot on gggg!

May 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm |

gggg,

Nobody but you and a handful of your numb nutz buddies here cares. There is just a tiny handful of you who watch Jon Stewart, who (along with Bill Maher) ranked behind "Pawn Stars" and the Sasquatch hunters in the last ratings period. Behind "River Monsters" too. Heh, heh, heh.

Your heroes couldn't crack the top 25 among cable shows. Delta knows its flying public. So why don't you vote with your feet and WALK, punk. That way, I won't run the risk of sitting by you.

May 8, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • stoopidjoo

After reading through 20 pages of comments I think it's funny that Cinchy and OneFineBlond are the only 2 consistent posters who are against the show and/or for Delta's decision. What's even more funny is that Cinchy proves why they think Jon Stewart is unfunny is because their head hurts after reading more than 2 sentences. Even funnier is Blondie posting the exact same thing over and over and over, not once providing up any data to support their claim and not realizing how they are proving the idiocy of this country by proudly stating that mindless trash reality TV is more popular than The Daily Show. Keep posting you two, you are only helping the folks you are so angry with for some reason.

May 9, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • skyjmpr

Hate to burst your bubble Blondie (the one you seem to live in daily), but "Pawn Stars", "River Monsters", and other trash shows that "beat" The Daily Show or Real Time in the ratings do so because they pander to people like you; unable or unwilling to actually think or process a perspective different than the one you doggedly hold on to, come hell or high water. Wrong demographic to use to try to make your point. Sometimes, it isn't "all about the ratings".

May 9, 2012 at 6:35 am |
    • hey now

Hey hey hey, "River Monsters" and "Pawn Stars" are fine shows. "River Monsters" shows how unfounded fear of "monsters" is sometimes warranted, but most of the time inflated by ignorance. "Pawn Stars" has placed a focus on the historical value of the items brought into their shop showing how vast and varied our human history and experience really is. Don't bash shows JUST because you need to defend another show. There are far more shows worthy of vitriol, "Pawn Stars" and "River Monsters" are not those shows.

May 9, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  20. bloggette

If Donahue finds John Stewart offensive then he shouldn't watch John Stewart. He is not Comedy Central's target audience anyway. He speaks for himself; certainly not for all Catholics, much less the whole Christian community. Delta, on the other hand, has the right to allocate advertising dollars,or cease advertising based on their business decisions. Ditto for Kelloggs.

May 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Good stuff, keep the rationale coming, more people need it!

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Whatever Jon Stewart's target audience is, he's apparently not hitting it since neither he nor the execrable Bill Maher could manage to crack the top 25 among cable shows in the last rating period.

Stewart and Maher ranked well below "Pawn Stars," "River Monsters" and even the folks that search for Sasquatch. Heh, heh, heh.

May 8, 2012 at 11:26 pm |