home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. Rationalintn

Thanks for the laugh Christian 1 thru 5. Or,......is that you Colbert???

May 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
  2. Chirag

"Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.” – I did not realize that all this organization spoke for all Christians, how convenient.

May 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • CW

They're pulling "facts" out of thin air. Like how the Earth was flat and Sun orbits the Earth. Apparently, 4 out of every 5 Americans I know is Christian. They just haven't realized it yet themselves. Doh!

May 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • BJD0012

80% may view themselves as "Christian" when asked, but not everyone who says they are christian thinks the Church or Government should be who determines the reproductive rights of Women.

May 9, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  3. God's Oldest Dreamer

A black woman and a black man and a white gay person were sitting together on an airliner going over the ocean. The black man said to his fellow passengers, "If this plane crashes in the ocean and we die, I know they'll find me because I have white underwear on!" The white gay man said to the others, "I know they'll find my body because I have pink underwear on!" The black lady boasted to her fellow travelers, "I know beyond doubt they will find me for I have the black box!"

May 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Gerry Evans

Now THAT was funny....... Really funny....

May 8, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • Mozart

Ignorant.

May 11, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
  4. bruce

"We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”
    for that statment alone Jon should go even harder whats c.c going to do fire him so he can go to another network make 5 times the money and win an emmey every year.

May 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • nick h

comedy central will never fire him. I like to think of CC as a laid back company..like Pringles. -gotta throw some Mitch Hedberg out there when you can.

May 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • pete4808

We should stop all donations to these Christians Churches. How about that.

May 8, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • Tiger

He's already overpaid and not funny

May 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • PageWraith

He's already overpaid and not funny????

Ya that's why he's at the top, good logic.

May 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Menoc

Common tiger . . . say it . . .I WORSHIP RUSH LIMBAUGH!!!

May 9, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • searoses

for what telling the truth ?

May 9, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • Angel

Nick, I just quoted Mitch Hedberg earlier! Freaky! "Rice is great when you want to eat 2,000 of something."

May 9, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  5. nick h

Gotta love someone who has a backbone. I can't stand when people (in the spotlight) give in and apologize for no reason.

May 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Like the di*ckhead in North Carolina who promotes hitting children?

May 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  6. dalewalk

No more flights on Delta and stocking up on Kelloggs Frosted Flakes cuz they're gggggreeeaaatt!!

May 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • FU Delta

i am with you....screw Delta. i won't fly them again... and i'm going out and getting me some frosted mini wheats and pop-tarts.

May 8, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

BOYCOTT DELTA!

May 8, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  7. Anon

I'm boycotting Delta now.

May 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Turd Ferguson

I try and boycott them as much as possible, not for their response to this, but because their service is terrible.

May 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • nick h

They are the only ones who fly out of my local airport. sucks.

May 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Okey Dokey

Delta is definitely King Of Sucky Bad-Service Airlines!

May 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • rn0901

I am not boycotting Delta. Do you boycott everything and everyone you disagree with? Grow up. I have used those words too, then I realized how childish I sounded. Yes, you can boycott them if you want to and that is your right, but all of this righteous indignation over what?

May 9, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  8. Ben

I would rather walk than fly with Delta anyways....

May 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
  9. Turd Ferguson

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke."....yes it was. Glad the Catholic League has its priorities in order...

May 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • albert321

Let him try that crap on jews or muslims.IDIOT!

May 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • albert321

Let him try that BS on jews or muslims.IDIOT!

May 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • QueenSnark

Jon Stewart IS Jewish. IDIOT!

May 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
  10. Larry

Can't wait for the skit they put on The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights. Will be great I'll bet.

May 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Gerry

Dysfunctional gays are ruining our church, why don't stand up and tell the truth..gays have a mental illness. a guy with another man is wrong and disgusting and going after young boys is degrading for that lifestyle!! Please get help!!

May 8, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • QueenSnark

You clearly do not know what you are talking about. Most molesters of young boys are straight men, or catholic priests. How is that messing up your church?

May 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
  11. gregg

80% of the courntry is Christian. A great big BS toi that.
    When interviewed, most will say they are just to, A.) keep their spouces happy B.) To keep the family friends from grilling them.
    I wold say at best we are a country of 50/50 if a "real" accurate studay was done, not some made up christian study.

May 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • George

I truly believe that if your life was on the line and the person that determined whether you lived or died based on your correct answer, that most people even religious logical mind would take over and they would say there is no god. The cowardly , hypocritic clergymen would be the first to cave.

May 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • Robert

Absolutely. I watch the kinds of things I comment on in Facebook because I have many family members on there who are still Christians.

May 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  12. ben

Lol 80% Christian nation. What a joke. Besides that people need to stop being offended by every little thing that is on t.v.
    I wish they would have pushed for him to be fired....could you imagine how people would have reacted? These religious zealots need to sit down, shut up, and deal with other major issues they have such as child abuse by priests before going after comedians.

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  13. Tracy

"You should be as offended as we are,But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. "

Bahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!

"Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

LMAO?? Cuz thats how I feel......

What Stewart did wasn’t a joke, It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.

Oh Donahue... Puhleeze. This isn't your game. You're bad at it!! I mean really Bad. You are a silly person and have zero credibility! Go home!

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  14. jbird68

This is why Delta has been my last choice in flight, for yrs. It will continue to be.

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Cinchy

Yes, that makes sense. Refuse to fly with an airline because they practice a code of ethics as far as advertising is concerned. In your case, we should practice a code of eugenics.

May 8, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  15. havenofear

i'd wager that 90% of delta customers are FOR the daily show on this one.

May 8, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  16. adrifter

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report – the only required TV watching in my house, four nights a week. I'm just surprised the religious right are not outraged more often. Try harder, Jon and Stephen.

May 8, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • Non-partisan Agnostic Citizen

A blind sheep who sits on their keester and gets told what to think and PROUD of it?

Try turning OFF the idiot tube and going outside more often, Life is more fulfilling as a participant rather than a spectator.

May 8, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • GodPot

I'm pretty sure I saw "drifters" on Colbert's threatdown a few years ago, watch yourself...

May 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  17. Howard

What;s not a joke is the Christian plan to not allow Gays to marry. Unfortunately not enough people are boycotting them.

May 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Ted

I am.

Boycotting that is, not gay, though I'm not against being gay, i just don't happen to be, but if you are i'm happy, not gay happy, but clearly excited that you are happy, not in the sweat pants excited way, but in the really really gleeful way, not as in Glee, I mean I like that show, but because of the music, not because of it's gay themes, which of course i'm fine with, but thats not why I watch the show, you know... um, San Dimas High Football Rules!!

May 8, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
  18. John N Florida

If it takes a manger between the legs to keep the State of Texas from Raping a woman – so be it.

May 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Howard

I agree John.

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  19. edpeters101

I never cared for Delta anyway, so no big loss! basically it is the organizations that complain most about the jokes, that are themselves the "Biggest Jokes!"..

May 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  20. Guilty "Christian"

Too bad the Catholic League didn't spend this much time and energy to demand justice for the victims molested by their priests.

May 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • BD

Amen

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • John N Florida

Wait until they start investigating how many Hetero Priests have taken advantage of girls in their parish. The numbers will make the boys assaulted look like peanuts.

May 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Surthurfurd

Real victims are not as important to them as their ego.

May 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm |