home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. Joe down the street

Can't wait to go use my Delta Amex to but Jon Stewart's book!

May 9, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • Pauly

That would give Delta 3% of the price of Stewart's book.

May 9, 2012 at 12:53 am |
    • cranium

cut up your delta card–get one somewhere else.

May 9, 2012 at 1:40 am |
  2. Gwelch1945

Who would waste time watching a POS like Stewart? The guy is a looser.

May 9, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • Agreed

When you say he is a looser, do you mean as opposed to a tighter?

May 9, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • Smarterest Human

What is a "looser"?

May 9, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Well, the truth is, Gwelch, that not very many people at all do watch Jon Stewart - or for that matter, his equally unfunny cohort, Bill Maher.

Neither of them was able to crack even the top 25 of cable shows during the most recent ratings period. That means that more people (by far) watched "Pawn Stars" and "River Monsters." Which makes me laugh. Now THAT is funny.

May 9, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Vincent

At least he knows how to spell 'loser'..

May 9, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Cooze

When people can't even spell 'loser' – guess what that makes them?

May 9, 2012 at 12:37 am |
    • mandarax

Them people with all their book learnin and their fancy spellin – they're big time loosers.

May 9, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

May 9, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Jewels

Yes, you're so edumacated.....

May 9, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • mandarax

Oh, she's double-posting now. She's spinning out of control....

May 9, 2012 at 12:45 am |
    • Smallest book in the library: "Famous Blonde Intellectuals"

Hey stupid blonde – using Monday's ratings, which you seem to think is important, the Daily Show was tied for 11th. The first Fox show was in 100th place.

And there really is not much insight in ratings, is there? Robot Chicken and Professional Wrestling beat virtually everything else. All ratings really reveal is that the average TV watcher is a total dumbshit.

You must watch a lot of TV.

May 9, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • cranium

Power to the people–start a movement–boycott Delta this summer

May 9, 2012 at 1:41 am |
  3. Laura

Oh, the irony! Delta pretending they care anything about Jesus or Christmas, when they systematically failed me as a passenger this past Christmas Eve, resulting in me spending the night alone in an ATL hotel instead of with my family! My connecting flight that night left EARLY! Leaving myself and two families with small children stranded in the Atlanta airport. I had almost, almost decided to let that fiasco slide, but now, Delta, you really can forget about having me on another flight, I don't care how good the Biscoff cookies are.

May 9, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • boom

sounds like your fault... blame others for your not going a day earlier

May 9, 2012 at 12:44 am |
  4. mandarax

She's blonde, she's smug, she thinks highly of herself for no good reason, she berates others – OneFineBlonde is Ann Coulter!

May 9, 2012 at 12:26 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Oh, don't I wish! The beautiful, blonde, brilliant Ann Coulter who could take on the entirety of Jon Stewart's paltry audience and make mincemeat of them single-handedly. All I can do is cheer Ann on as she continues to deflate the foolishness of the Left.

May 9, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • mandarax

Now I know you are. This is the only audience you can get these days, huh?

May 9, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • I guess blondes really are stupid

Ann Coulter beautiful? Really? Wow, you really are mentally ill!

May 9, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • Pauly

Ann Coulter is as blonde as Barack Obama. Or she dyes the hell out of her roots.

May 9, 2012 at 12:37 am |
    • mandarax

Who cares about her looks or her natural hair color – she's a Nazi bltch (and I don't use either of those words lightly)

May 9, 2012 at 12:39 am |
    • The True Story Of Ann Couolter

You may think you don't like Ann Coulter, but in her nighttime job, when you are nude and tightly bound and her bullwhip is flying, well there's just something incredibly hot about how the black of her leather teddy goes so well her glowing red eyes (she uses contacts by day to hide that). And her Gozer the Gozerian voice, man, she is worth every dollar Dick Cheney ever gave her!

May 9, 2012 at 1:06 am |
    • cranium

Is A. Coulter really blonde?

May 9, 2012 at 1:45 am |
    • The real question

Is Ann Coulter really human?

May 9, 2012 at 3:30 am |
  5. dgbnyc

What the hell is going on here CNN? I read this story on another site and it quoted Delta saying that THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CATHOLIC LEAGUE! This is absolutely nuts. To quote Jon Stewart YOU'RE CNN!! How difficult is it to get the most basic fact straight that Delta DID NOT pull their ads over the skit? Even the quotes in your own story don't support that allegation. Jebus.

May 9, 2012 at 12:25 am |
    • cranium

What "other" site? Is it really reliable?

May 9, 2012 at 1:47 am |
  6. Kenneth Lord

During it's brief existence as Song (Delta's alternative), a flight attendant took my crutches when I got to my seat (I was fine with that) and put them in the closet up front for the flight... when we landed, nobody would bring me my crutches, one flight attendant said "you got on the plane, you can figure out how to get off"... fortunately the person next to me saw where they put the crutches so he could go get them for me. Delta is more concerned with appearing politically correct than not actually being jerks to their passengers. They aren't too big to fail, they're just right.

May 9, 2012 at 12:23 am |
  7. n8263

Poor Donohue is "offended." Why doesn't he speak out against his fellow Christians who are trying to impose their religion on others and trying to deny women of basic human rights?

What's worse offending a few people while defending civil liberties, or being one the assholes attacking others' civil liberties?

May 9, 2012 at 12:22 am |
    • mandarax

He's worse than that – he is the one who claims that a priest fondling a childs buttocks does not consti.tute abuse and that all those victims are just gold-diggers. But this offends him.

May 9, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • Lisa

I am curious as to what basic right he denies women? Are you referring to abortion? because that denies women their basic right to life, because 50% of aborted babies, are female. what about them?

May 9, 2012 at 12:43 am |
    • n8263

No woman has ever been aborted. Please tell Lisa, do you fear being aborted?

May 9, 2012 at 12:58 am |
    • cranium

If he considers that not fondling, I'm offended and HORRIFIED! Tell me it isn't true.

May 9, 2012 at 1:49 am |
  8. Ron

Delta, the official airline of Jesus... and pedophile priets.

May 9, 2012 at 12:22 am |
  9. Patricksday

I never cared for Delta but it would be a 2nd to United Airlines, I just took you off the table for travel options of flight.

May 9, 2012 at 12:21 am |
  10. Marcus Whitty

God complex? You could have tried to get him fired, and you would have failed miserably.

May 9, 2012 at 12:19 am |
  11. Delta Silver Medallion customer

And don't feed the fine, blonde Trolls.

May 9, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • Trekkie

lol! I shouldn't I know.

May 9, 2012 at 12:25 am |
  12. Delta Silver Medallion customer

I'm going to use the SkyMiles in my account for one free flight, then I'm switching airlines. Eat it, Delta!

May 9, 2012 at 12:15 am |
  13. leo costa

Religion is a illness of the brain... We must to stop the stupidities of the "conservatives" aka retrograde

May 9, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Stop? Really, Costa?

How, exactly, do you propose to stop conservatives? In America, this happens legitimately only at the ballot box.

(And by the way, it was just too, too bad that liberal RINO Lugar got his rear handed to him by the voters after decades in Washington. Is THAT what you meant by stopping us? If so, you failed.)

May 9, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • jus-saying

I agree! Scary how people just follow without question and only know what they have been taught and told to believe and are ok with that through-out their entire lives. And this is very much like the GOP.

May 9, 2012 at 12:49 am |
  14. Trekkie

By losing 9% of their audience in 2011, Fox News’ prime time lineup now averages fewer viewers than Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show.

According to TVNewser, Fox News averaged 1.868 million total viewers in prime time compared to 2.3 million for The Daily Show.

The audience erosion continued over at Fox News as the network lost 8% of its total viewers and 14% of their viewers in the 25-54 demo. The total number of daytime Fox News viewers slipped to 1.073 million.

“Red Eye” was the only Fox News show to post ratings gains in 2011. Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, and On The Record With Greta Van Susteren all lost viewers. In the morning, Fox and Friends remained flat. Fox News still showed its dominance by having the top 13 rated cable news programs, but a certain program hosted by a comedian that Fox News loves to hate on Comedy Central blew past most of the Fox News shows in the ratings.

According to Comedy Central, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart averaged 2.3 million viewers per episode in 2011. Unlike Fox News, “The Daily Show” was up in total viewers (+7%) and all key demos: adults 18-49 (+6%); men 18-34 (+2%); men 18-24 (+4%).” The Daily Show was also the top cable late night talk show in terms of total viewers, and was generally dominant. While Fox News was losing 14% in the demo in 2011, Jon Stewart was gaining 6%.

Jon Stewart has become Fox News’ #1 media nemesis. To put Stewart’s ratings into a head to head context, The O’Reilly Factor tends to hover around the 3 million viewers range. Hannity is at around 2+ million, and On The Record with Greta Van Susteren varies between 1.1 million and 1.5 million as an average. This means that The Daily Show is more popular than both Hannity and On The Record, and trails O’Reilly by about 700,000 viewers.

May 9, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • Trekkie

http://www.politicususa.com/jon-stewart-fox-2011-ratings.html Is the referance for above.

May 9, 2012 at 12:10 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Hey Trekkie,

What a chump you are. Let's look at YESTERDAY'S Neilsen ratings, shall we? For Monday, May 7, in EVERY time slot, from morning to late night, Fox beat EVERY other broadcast news outlet. By huge numbers.

Nice try though. Good little leftist soldier, fighting hard against difficult odds.

May 9, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • Trekkie

Funny. I'm a Navy vet and a FEMALE. Like I said earlier...PROVE IT WITH FACTS.

May 9, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

I couldn't care less whether you were in the Navy, and I don't even care what solar system you're from . . . nor could I possibly care less what gender you are.

If you can't find yesterday's Neilsen ratings on the internet, you're too stupid to converse with. Scared to look, aren't you?

May 9, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Trekkie

weaksauce. You are too scared to give me the truth. Put up or shut up. I made the attempt, it's your turn all talk and no proof. ANd, oh, on this same tvnewster, it lists all the NEWS shows. Jon Stewart isn't on there. SO Show me Jon Stewart's and Fox News. One day doesn't count either. You need an average from this year. I looked but I could not find it. So SHOW ME.

May 9, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • JS Fan

OneFineBlonde

Trekkie's post reads as if it was for all of 2011, not one day in May, 2012.
      This is why Faux News viewers come up so dumb in poll after poll.
      Fess up, you're really one of the blonde Mrs.Eva Braun Hitler's that read the news for Faux, aren't you?
      Are you that afternoon girl? The one that looks like she has s**t on the bottom of her shoe and it smells really bad.

May 9, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • mandarax

I had her pegged as Ann Coulter...

May 9, 2012 at 12:35 am |
  15. Free Thinker

I saw it when it aired and couldn't agree more with Jon Stewart. Thanks, Jon!

May 9, 2012 at 12:04 am |
  16. Socrates

Catholics and Jews at odds, bad recipe.

May 9, 2012 at 12:00 am |
  17. M. Edward

Delta – Cancel my frequent flyer miles card. You can stick a fork in me I'm done!

May 9, 2012 at 12:00 am |
  18. OneFineBlonde

Rope,

Since you've yet to make your first flight, I'm sure Delta is TERRIFIED at the prospect of you withholding your "business" from them. Happy trails, cowpoke.

May 9, 2012 at 12:00 am |
  19. BillyJack

Thank you, Delta. You'll never get my business again.

May 8, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

BillyJack,

Stop trying to pretend you've ever flown anywhere - including on Delta. I have to laugh at all you penniless clowns who never fly but are going to "withhold" your business from Delta. I'm sure that Delta is VERY concerned.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

May 8, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • M. Edward

OneFineBlonde. Another dumb blond joke. Are you a member of the mile high club? Most likely not, you'd get a headache.

May 9, 2012 at 12:05 am |
  20. Pope on a Rope

I'll never fly Delta again. They can go fück a goat.

May 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm |