home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. Bill Michaels

Jon Stewart is funny, but he has obviously chosen sides in the divided war that Americans are waging on each other culturally. It's too bad because you can just see with some of his guests that, even if they have a reasonable viewpoint, if they are conservative or religious he just can't agree with them, at least not publicly. It's kind of a sad reflection on America.

May 9, 2012 at 2:51 am |
  2. OneFineBlonde

Sometimes late at night, when I'm lighting the candles at my Glenn Beck altar or when I'm slipping into my warm Glenn Beck footy pajamas to listen to some classic Rush Limbaugh tapes (I only dig the boys who never made it through college), and I walk over to turn on my home theater system that I bought with kickbacks from my American Crossroads donations to watch Rush in all his hi-def majesty...and then there's HIM! Jon Antichrist Stewart and his stupid show that LESS THAN NOBODY watches!! UGH spill my Coors Light all over my climate change denial reading and my night's RUINED! I HATE HIM!

May 9, 2012 at 2:46 am |
  3. futurephysicaltherapist

Hated Delta before... Hate Delta even more now.

May 9, 2012 at 2:43 am |
  4. Jason

I won't be flying Delta again. Reply if you're with me.

May 9, 2012 at 2:38 am |
    • aqnother blondie joke

The 99% are with you, but this site often prevents replies, so don't take it personally.

May 9, 2012 at 2:43 am |
    • Count me in that list

Done and done. I fly often too.

May 9, 2012 at 2:50 am |
    • A Grave For Jason

This is the name of my project. Not a slam. I am with you. Delta sucks! Stewart rules!

May 9, 2012 at 2:53 am |
  5. Al

Bill Donahue is so upset, he is considering boinking a 10 year old boy. Well, actually he is considering doing that anyway.

May 9, 2012 at 2:36 am |
    • another blondie joke

I would like to post the idea that we could have some control over this situation if we just stopped donating to the charity mentioned in the article (as they won't post any of my comments that mention it by name), they are not living up to their mission or their name, they are just trying to bully us. Not all christians are that narrow-minded or lacking in humor.

May 9, 2012 at 2:57 am |
  6. patiat

How could that m.0.r0.n keep a straight face calling Stewart's joke "hate speech"?

May 9, 2012 at 2:30 am |
    • Viking

Joke??? This guy is desperate for ratings. I dare him to do the same with muslims. Have the prophet framed in a toilet seat!
      I wouldn't be surprized if he is dropped altogether next season. I never thought this guy was funny, now he is a spineless coward . I DARE YOU JOHNY BOY, FRAME THE PROPHET ON A TOILET SEAT AND MAKE JOKES. LETS SEE IF YOU ARE BRAVE ENOUGH. RIGHT NOW JOHNY IS A COWARD.

May 9, 2012 at 2:40 am |
    • aqnother blondie joke

Viking, this is the internet–if you think that is funny (inappropriate) go ahead and do it yourself–get your own (twisted, sick) page.

May 9, 2012 at 2:47 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Why is it that Muslims are always the fall back? Get over it already...the point has been well noted and no offense but christians cause as many issues in this world, just not suicide bombings, as Muslims do. It comes down to this: belief in the supernatural is dangerous. It cause people do absurd things in the name of the name of the unknown.

Want proof of the danger of christians, just look at South Carolina or the Crusades or the Salem Witch Trials or the Scopes Monkey trials. Try not being such hypocrites.

May 9, 2012 at 3:21 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Want proof of the danger of christians, just look at South Carolina or the Crusades or the Salem Witch Trials or the Scopes Monkey trials."

The interesting thing is that another website might be Feminist and blame those also on males in general. A black power website will blame it on Whites.

Proof is that some folks are just mean.

May 9, 2012 at 3:47 am |
    • sam stone

"Proof is that some folks are just mean."

And some of them find comfort in a mean god

May 9, 2012 at 4:25 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Of course Mark left out the part where I asked why it is that every time a christian's deviant move is brought up, they feel the need to bring up Muslims and not their own atrocious past. More damage is done in the name of belief than anything. People can be mean regardless but when it is done in the name of belief, it deserves to be scrutinized (ie; the buybull says being gay is a sin; the buybull says marriage is between man and woman; the buybull says you shall have no other god before me; the buybull says only the fool says there is no god).

May 9, 2012 at 4:31 am |
  7. agooyers

Enough with the ridiculous prudishness and moral bullying. It's a free country, this joke is easily free speech and isn't even that offensive. If you don't like it, don't watch the Daily Show. Simple. Don't try to ruin an awesome show for those who enjoy it.

Part of the problem is that the prudish, puritanical, sanctimonious members of this hysterical religious militia are calling companies like Delta to rage about how offended they are (by a show most of them presumably do not watch the program regularly), while the millions of actual fans of the Daily Show are not going to even think to call Comedy Central's advertisers to say how not-offended they were by it.

Basically, these Catholic League inquisitors, and the sterile corporate puppets who cave to them, can go suck a manger.

May 9, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • another blondie joke

I have been trying to post the idea that we could have some control over this situation if we just stopped donating to the charity mentioned in the article (as they won't post any of my comments that mention it by name), the charity is not living up to its' mission or its' name, they are just trying to bully us. Not all christians are that narrow-minded or lacking in humor.

May 9, 2012 at 3:00 am |
  8. DocTina

Delta Sucks Anyway 🙂 Perhaps they should try their luck on Fox News 🙂

May 9, 2012 at 2:21 am |
  9. n8263

Poor Donohue was "offended." Why doesn't he speak out against his fellow Christians who are trying to impose their religion on others and trying to deny women of basic human rights?

What's worse offending a few people while defending civil liberties, or being one the assholes attacking others' civil liberties?

May 9, 2012 at 2:14 am |
    • Ned

Careful! If you make too much sense you might give some religious nut cause for apoplexy and heartburn. They might even say something against your common sense remarks. I see it quite often on the web.

May 9, 2012 at 2:22 am |
  10. OneFineBlonde

NOBODY watches Jon Stewart!! Or his cohort Maher!!! THE RATINGs CAME IN AND EVERYONE I MEAN EVERYONE WATCHES FOX NEWS! Only twelve stoned people watch Jon Stewart. THE RATINGS LOOK AT THE RATINGS! Jon Stewart doesn't even exist – he's a fabrication of the liberal media! I HATE HIM. I HATE HIM. I HATE HIM. I love him....

May 9, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • Good One!

Nice Poe! You had me until the last three words!

Maybe the real one will come screech at you!

May 9, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • Viking

JOHN STEWART IS A COWARD. I WOULD LIKE HIM TO DO THE SAME SKIT WITH THE "PROPHET" MOHAMED FRAMED INSIDE A TOILET SEAT. WHY DON'T YOU DO THAT JOHN? TOO MUCH OF A COWARD AND SPINELESS? LETS PICK ON ALL RELIGIONS OR ARE YOU AFRAID TO P. O. THE MUSLIMS. WHAT A SPINELESS COWARD YOU ARE.

May 9, 2012 at 2:12 am |
    • yeah, another blondie joke

Nobody with any brains watches FOX!

May 9, 2012 at 2:12 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Dang it, Viking. I'm trying to do parody here and you're out-crazying my best efforts.

May 9, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Wow! I'm impressed. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, they say.

Nice of you (and honest too!) to take the time to co-opt my screen name. That's just exactly what I'd expect of a Stewart fan.

May 9, 2012 at 2:21 am |
    • ButtOut

FOX News is the only channel conservatives watch. There are more center left to way left news channels for liberals watch. Jon Steward does well. Also Mahar signed for 2 more years on HBO. He must be doing something right.

May 9, 2012 at 2:25 am |
  11. Mark from Middle River

From the web.

"Delta Airlines offers fares to service members that are not publicized on its website and can only be booked by phone or in person. In addition to these fares, Delta will allow active duty members traveling on orders to check up to 10 bags on Delta flights or four bags on DeltaConnection flights for no charge. For dependents and family members, Delta also offers discounts to members of its WorldPerks or SkyMiles program on flights to visit wounded relatives at military hospitals under its Delta Cares program."

Makes it a harder option these days when folks talk about boycotting a company. There are no totally evil companies. While some might hate Delta for them pulling their ads from the Daily Show, we are talking about a company that it appears is doing a lot for the military and their families. So we have a large segment of society that will take this into account about a boycott of Delta.

May 9, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • cranium

Let us hear from the military families–is this true or propaganda?

May 9, 2012 at 2:00 am |
    • Zingo Wingo

Actually a lot of airlines give these kinds of perks to servicemen, not just Delta. That won't have any impact on this matter.

May 9, 2012 at 2:09 am |
    • Ned

Actually, there are "totally evil companies" out there. Delta isn't one, of course, but they do exist. I see you like over-generalizing.

May 9, 2012 at 2:19 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Actually, there are "totally evil companies" out there. "

Ned, what are your examples of Totally evil companies.

May 9, 2012 at 3:51 am |
    • cranium

Oh, come on Mark!

May 9, 2012 at 4:47 am |
  12. Eric of Reseda

Delta Airlines...dumb.

May 9, 2012 at 1:56 am |
  13. Ned

I used to enjoy the Daily Show, but too often the humor was "schlocky" and just really pathetic. At other times, the humor was amazingly funny and sophisticated.
    Well, I don't bother watching anymore because it's always a crapshoot on what sort of humor they're going to be doing.
    I probably would have laughed at the skit, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't really say.
    As for Delta, they should have just ignored these intolerant bigoted narrow-minded religious cult members and not cater to one narrow-minded pinch-brained psychotic group in opposition to the 99 percent of other people who are more tolerant and who did not write in because they are just fine with it.

May 9, 2012 at 1:55 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Ned,

If you think that 99% of Americans are just fine with Stewart's broadcasting a nude woman with a manger between her legs, you are sadly out of touch with America.

May 9, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • lollypop

I'm one of the 99% and I'm just fine with it.

May 9, 2012 at 2:01 am |
    • Ned

Okay, let's revise that number down a bit, say 75 percent.
      That sounds more like what we see when we poll for narrow-minded loonies and their likes and dislikes, and we end up with about 25 percent for them, right? So the 75 percent would be all the Americans who have a bit more common sense here.
      What do you think? Sound better?

May 9, 2012 at 2:13 am |
    • n8263

The manger was getting in the way and it would have been better without it, but I understand it was part of the joke.
      Only religious prudes like Donohue and OneFineBlonde would take offense. They lack a moral compass and enjoy
      imposing their superstitions on others.

May 9, 2012 at 2:29 am |
    • another blondie joke

What we need to do is take some control over this situation by just not donating to the charity mentioned in the article (as they won't post any of my comments that mention it by name), they are not living up to their mission or their name, they are just trying to bully us. Not all christians are that narrow-minded or lacking in humor.

May 9, 2012 at 3:04 am |
  14. Pikaslayer

All you hypocrites saying that you won’t fly Delta anymore are just full of crap. You will fly whatever airline can take you where you’re going for less cause that’s the American way.

May 9, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

You're right, of course, Pik.

But besides that, there are a lot of people on here tonight who never fly at all, but who are nevertheless threatening to withhold their precious business from Delta. Which IS funny. (Unlike Stewart's skit).

May 9, 2012 at 1:56 am |
    • Zingo Wingo

If that were true, then airlines would not have to advertise at all, would they?

May 9, 2012 at 2:07 am |
    • another blondie joke

The American way is to put your money where your mouth i; Not flying Delta for caving in to a religious extremist is just one more way to make the world a better, more tolerant place.

May 9, 2012 at 3:07 am |
  15. patrick

Excuse me Delta, you are getting ruffled by this and not by the 4000 plus dead USA soldiers in Iraq fake war for Delta and other airline and express companies?/ Excuse me what about all those Delta flights the criminals from B of A , Goldman Saks and Lehman Bros. ? These are criminals .

May 9, 2012 at 1:51 am |
    • brian

totally aggre.

May 9, 2012 at 2:10 am |
  16. RapidOne

I for one am going to screw Delta over as much as possible now, as well as not use them in the future for anything that could give them profit. I think many others will be of the same mindset.

May 9, 2012 at 1:50 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

RapidOne,

Are you SURE you didn't intend for your screen name to read "VapidOne?" How, exactly, do you plan to "screw Delta over" other than by choosing another airline? Bomb threats, perhaps?

I think Delta made the right call and when are flying a route which I'm traveling, I'm going to think of them favorably for choosing to use their advertising dollars on media which does not engage in gratuitous insults to Christianity.

May 9, 2012 at 1:54 am |
    • Viking

If he is so brave why doesnt he put together a skit with Mohamed, "the prophet" framed inside a toilet seat? It is easy to pick on Christians. He is a coward if he doesn't do the same thing with Mohamed. He is too chicken to do that. Or not? Go for it, I would like to see the picture of Mohamed framed inside a toilet seat. He is such a spineless coward. Just do whatever brings the ratings up.

May 9, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • brian

i will do the same

May 9, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • yeah, another blondie joke

you know, VIKING, this is the internet–if you really think that it is funny and appropriate ( I don't) you don't have to berate anyone else to do what you think is right–just put up your own page with your own (twisted) sense of humor.

May 9, 2012 at 2:16 am |
    • SensibilityRequired

@Viking
      Jon Stewart continuously makes outlandish jokes directed at most religions and political standpoints, including at his own Jewish upbringing. It's over the top humor to question the dramatizations and ironies of opinions, in this case the Catholic church's opinion on healthcare mandated birth control. Also, Mohammad and toilet seats has no comical implication of current issues. So I wouldn't suggest that idea.

May 9, 2012 at 2:29 am |
  17. stonrdude

I am so sick of religion and ya know what? I am really sick of the Catholic League and Bill Donahue.

May 9, 2012 at 1:49 am |
    • brian

me too.

May 9, 2012 at 2:12 am |
  18. Marku

This just makes Jon more popular and frankly shows how low minded bigots the religious fundamentalists are. They are just jealous and lack the creative juices to produce such skits. No more business to Delta. Free speech rules!

May 9, 2012 at 1:47 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

This just "makes Jon more popular." And you know this how, Marku? Just a wild guess, eh?

Well, we shall see. Delta has made a bet that its customers include more people who resent gratuitous insults toward Christianity than those who do. I'm betting they're right.

May 9, 2012 at 1:51 am |
    • Jack237

What everyone seems to be missing here is that the skit is not directed toward christianity. It's directed toward those politicians who EXPLOIT Christianity to forward their own political platforms. Those Christians (a group of which I am a part) who feel offended by this ad are totally missing the message, which is that these politicians USE Jesus and those who believe in him to create an opposition to the platforms of the OTHER political party. In other words, your religion is being hijacked to manipulate you into voting for them. Once they get into their positions of power, they get the money and influence that they crave. They don't give a damn about you or Christianity. And yet, you continue to lie down for them.

May 9, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • lollypop

Jack237, your comment is so incisive and thoughtful that you bring shame to every knee-jerk defense that screams ignorant literalism that I am in awe. That was exactly what was lacking before in this section–thoughtful commentary. Thank you.

May 9, 2012 at 3:16 am |
  19. Libnconsv

As much as I like Jon Stewarts,,, He should be sensitive to people of all religions, including Chrsitians.

Having said that Religious leaders should also not impose their religions on all people, even the ones that do not follow a particular religions... That is what we always complain of Taliban

May 9, 2012 at 1:42 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Libnconsv,

I agree with the first part of your statement.

However, the Catholic Church (in protesting what is clearly an ugly image) is not attempting to impose its religion on anyone. It is merely exercising its free speech right to voice indignation about a skit which it (rightly) perceived as highly insulting.

As for Delta, it is free to use it advertising dollars in whatever way it feels will maximize a return on those dollars. I'm sure that Delta knows the demographic made up of the people who choose to fly with Delta and that it doesn't include lots of people who appreciate gratuitous insults to Christianity.

May 9, 2012 at 1:49 am |
    • Zingo Wingo

Blondinka, history has shown repeatedly that corporations who get involved in controversies like this always lose for having done it. It's bad strategy. Stewart's audience is the business flyer demographic, and his show is watched by a lot of people. Getting a negative emotional response from this market is the opposite of what advertising is supposed to do. Lost customers traditionally do not return easily.

Can they possibly make it up from the other side? Not likely. The demographic that listens to The Catholic League flies less. They are generally older and retired. Are there more people on this side who care than Stewart's audience? Very unlikely. Are they going to fly more to offset the lost customers? Unlikely.

Bad business decision.

May 9, 2012 at 2:03 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Well, we'll see, won't we, Zingo?

I am a million-mile flyer with American and have obviously flow a lot of miles with other airlines as well.

I think the Stewart demographic includes a lot of college kids who don't fly anywhere at all.

I'm pretty sure that Delta knows who flies their airline better than you do. But as I said, we'll see won't we?

May 9, 2012 at 2:06 am |
    • Zingo Wingo

You can say what you like, but for Stewart this is nothing but a win – he comes out even better to his market, and more sponsors will fill the void. The ONLY way he can lose is if a lot of sponsors follow, and they won't. Ironically, for Catholic League it's a win – they got a corporation to obey. Delta loses no matter which side prevails. Bad business decision – they are now invisible in a good market, and this "controversy" is going to blow over very quickly.

Bad business decision.

May 9, 2012 at 2:20 am |
    • lollypop

I disagree blondaria, by seeking to have the advertising pulled from the show or Stewart fired, this radical sliver of the church is seeking more than mere airing of their opinion, they are seeking to IMPOSE their opinion in the same way the Taliban and the Nazis seek and sought to impose their opinions on others–through force: physical, economic, cultural or psychological force. In this case economic force. Stop donating to this radical sliver of the church–think like Jesus; would he support imposition of religion on others through economic force?

May 9, 2012 at 3:27 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Lollipop, then when the Women's rights groups called for Imus, Rush or Stern to be pulled off the air for their comments towards women aren't they doing the same thing by seeking to IMPOSE their opinion?

May 9, 2012 at 3:34 am |
    • lollypop

Yes, and I did not support their bullying either–we all should have the right to an opinion–we DO NOT have the right to impose that opinion on others. I am airing my opinion and advocating that the charity be hoised on its' own petard: economic force. If they had not approached this issue with the desire to impose their will (or sense of humor) on others I would not advocate the same fate for them (imposition of others will on them). Sauce for goose etc.

May 9, 2012 at 3:55 am |
  20. tipsana

Dear Delta:
    I am a Delta customer, a Catholic, and along-time fan of the Daily Show on Comedy Central. I am appalled that you would bow to pressure from a single religious organization to pull your advertising from the Daily Show. I saw the sketch in question, and was not offended. More importantly, however, if I was offended, I would simply have changed the channel. I would not have insisted that the rest of the viewing audience, and its advertisers, be offended with me.

I am sorry that your corporate decision-makers lack respect for free speech, and are willing to have your advertising decisions directed by a small, strident group that only exists to impose its' view of the world on all others.

Sincerely,

May 9, 2012 at 1:42 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"...directed by a small, strident group that only exists to impose its' view of the world on all others."

"Never doubt that small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever truly has."

-Margaret Mead (1901-1978); cultural anthropologis

May 9, 2012 at 1:49 am |
    • Ned

Just like the Nazis, right? A small group of strident fascists, just like these Catholics, who, as it turns out, are members of the same religion as Hitler was.
      How about that? Margaret Mead was an idiot.

May 9, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Well Ned, seeing as how Hitler started as a small group and nearly took over most of the Western World then does that not prove Mead was right? She never said a "nice" small group of people, she just said that we should never under estimate the power of social change that a small group can cause in a society. From Hitler to Martin Luther King, they all prove her point.

May 9, 2012 at 2:04 am |
    • Ned

Her words would have been more useful by far had she mentioned the damage mentally ill people can do when they join forces, like Hitler did, like Stalin did, and like the Catholics do every day.
      Just saying that a group of people could do things is like saying water is wet. Empty, vapid words of no use to anyone except as a cheap bumper sticker on the back of someone's car.

May 9, 2012 at 2:10 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Hitler was not Catholic, Ned. He invented his own religion (which had nothing whatever to do with Christianity) and made it compulsory.

May 9, 2012 at 2:29 am |
    • Ned

Hitler was a staunch Catholic and had the backing of not only the Pope, but of the Lutheran Brotherhood. He went after the Jews because the Catholic Church has always done so. Haven't you heard about that stuff? I suggest you do some reading.

May 9, 2012 at 2:49 am |
    • joe

"More importantly, however, if I was offended, I would simply have changed the channel." and by changing the channel Delta would not be able to advertise to you. Thus, they made a business decision that the people they think want to fly their airline may have been offended and would not watch the show any more thus it would be a waste of money to advertise on the show.

May 9, 2012 at 3:07 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Ned, her words do just fine because they are not tainted or slanted to one view or another. Her quote could mean that you are talking about Girl Scouts cleaning up a public playground or you could be talking about a small parent's group that wants the playground closed because they feel the rides are not safe for kids.

If you feel they are empty then guess what....its ok. Folks do not have to agree on things but I do feel you are, with respect, wrong.

Also, Hitler killed a fair amount of Catholic Priest.

Monument unveiled to Catholic priests killed in Nazi camps
      Monsters and Critics ^ | Nov 4, 2006

Posted on Sat 04 Nov 2006 03:35:33 PM EST by lizol

Monument unveiled to Catholic priests killed in Nazi camps

Nov 4, 2006, 17:23 GMT

Berlin – Catholic priests and monks, the bulk of them Polish, who were killed by the Nazis in a concentration camp near Berlin were commemorated Saturday with the unveiling of a stone sculpture in the presence of Cardinal Jozef Glemp of Poland.

The sculpture is engraved with the names of 96 clergy who died at Sachsenhausen concentration camp on the north-west outskirts of Berlin.

Historians working for the Catholic archdiocese of Berlin have so far doc'umented the names of 711 Catholic clergy from Poland, Germany and other European nations who were incarcerated in the camp, where inmates often died of starvation or disease or were executed.

Hundreds were later transferred to Dachau concentration camp on the outskirts of Munich and other Nazi sites, where they died.

Unveiling the monument, in which a cross has been etched in the stone, Berlin's archbishop, Cardinal Georg Sterzinsky, said the German Catholic Church was grateful that there was now a memorial to this group of Nazi victims, more than 600 of whom were Poles.

One of the surviving inmates, Kazimierz Majdanski, now 90, later went on to become Catholic bishop of Szczecin-Kamien, the Berlin archdiocese said. Glemp, who holds the ti'tle of primate of Poland, represented the Polish Catholic Church at the ceremony.

May 9, 2012 at 3:30 am |
    • cranium

a small, committed group–the Taliban, the Nazis, Al quada?

May 9, 2012 at 3:31 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Hitler started the Nazi movement with a very small amount of people. With this small group they took over Germany in a almost bloodless way by using the existing laws and voting procedures. I am not completely sure of the history of the Taliban or Alqueda but I do believe they also began as very small sects within radical Islam.

May 9, 2012 at 3:37 am |
    • cranium

May 9, 2012 at 4:01 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>”But Mark, you appear to agree that this small, strident charity is in essence similarly oppressive as these other small groups who unfortunately sought to impose their will upon a saddened world. We would be so much better off without these small, strident, intolerant, power-hungry groups.”

Cranium. I am not really taking sides on this one. What you consider to be a group imposing its will on the majority could in essence be said about Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement and a host of other organizations. It all depends on who is judging that group in question.

Take T'itle IX. A group of women's rights advocates decided to take on the board of educations around the country for equal funding for Girls Sports in the public schools. Most folks were all for it. Then when the school systems could not pay for the extra girls teams, some schools had to cut some established boys teams. At that point you even had mothers of male athletes up in arms.

Who was right, who was wrong? Either way at the end of the day the supporters of Ti'tle IX were seen both as heroes and villains.

So for all of the Quakers who hid slaves, to the ones in North Carolina who just passed a ban on Gay marriage. If we say that one, society is better off without, then be careful cause tomorrow it could be a small group that you feel is doing good in the community.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
      Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
      Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Martin Niemöller was a German pastor and theologian born in Lippstadt, Germany, and imprisoned by the Nazis.

May 9, 2012 at 4:23 am |
    • cranium

Mark said: "Cranium. I am not really taking sides on this one......First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
      Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
      Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."

So, Mark, your saying, first they came for Jon Stewart and the Daily Show, and you did not take a stand because you were not a fan. Then they came for Good Morning America, and you did not speak up becuase you never got up before noon. Then they came for the Six o'clock news and you didn't speak out because you got your news on- line. Then they came for FOX news and you were affected but there was no one left to speak for you? Am I following your train of thought? I still think you should have some kind of opinion with as much as you have written.

May 9, 2012 at 5:01 am |