home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. deltafan

Oh please, I like the Daily Show and Delta. Delta has a right to advertise with who they want, and Jon Stewart has the right to make a joke (Which I found funny). You liberals/conservatives think you can control everything and force people/companies to do stuff. STOP IT. BTW, if anyone has any Delta miles that they want to give up, hit me up.

May 9, 2012 at 9:11 am |
    • Paul Thomas

I found it humorous that you scold everyone for trying to exert control and force, then tell everyone to "STOP IT". 🙂

May 9, 2012 at 9:18 am |
  2. Mike Botwin

The right wing Nazis will move on to an equally irrelevant issue within weeks. They're like locusts, they just pop up every so often and start devouring something. "Get fired up!" – that network and their wiretapping industry is a cancer on our country.

May 9, 2012 at 9:10 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

You could easily replace right wing Nazis with douchy liberals. Both sides are just as bad and as hypocritical as the other.

May 9, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • deltafan

Thank you Rational Libertarian, you are the only smart one on these boards.

May 9, 2012 at 9:17 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

No deltafan, there are a few of us, although the numbers diminish daily.

May 9, 2012 at 9:23 am |
    • Paul Thomas

RL, if you believe that we do not have a soul, then do you believe in an afterlife?

May 9, 2012 at 9:32 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Nope. Dead is dead, I reckon. Although I like surprises.

May 9, 2012 at 9:35 am |
    • Paul Thomas

ok. You mean "Surprise!" like when your friends give you a birthday party? Or, "Surprise" like when a bus hits you because you decide it was not real?

May 9, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

I mean "surprise" like drawing my last breath and instead of my consciousness ceasing to exist, I wake up surrounded by cocaine and st rippers.

May 9, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • Paul Thomas

For $2000 you can make that surprise happen tomorrow. Your soul is worth much more than 2k.

May 9, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Send me your details and I will gladly sell you my soul for $2000.

May 9, 2012 at 9:56 am |
    • Paul Thomas

Our souls are equally valuable to God and He has already purchased them. The price was innocent blood which Christ paid in full. Eternal life is his to give. All we have to do is look up in faith which rebellion keeps us from doing.

May 9, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Oh. I actually thought for a second that you were an otherwise rational person who believed in the afterlife. But that last comment was just the ramblings of a Christard. Thread over.

May 9, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • Paul Thomas

Personal attacks are the first sign of defeat, but I'm not here to win an agrument. I'm here to win those who never post a word on this thread, the undecided, just as you are. You have made your decision and I have made mine, and tomorrow we die. We both still have today. As for irrational thought, how do you explain Fibonacci's sequence in nature? From the smallest nautilus shell to the arms of the galaxies, you find the math of a Creator...

May 9, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  3. Pale Progressive

Mary worshiping, pedophilic trash. Go get 'em Jon!

May 9, 2012 at 9:08 am |
    • Paul Thomas

your post lacks in the progressive department.

May 9, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  4. rizzo

"It was hate speech."
    Oh I love to tell women what to do but when other people try to bully me I can't take it. Buncha whiny narcissists there that's for sure.

May 9, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  5. Informed

Thanks, Jon Stewart. Were it not for you and The Daily Show, I wouldn't have know that Delta is a crony of the Catholic Church. ...Now we know how all those pedophile priests fly around the country.

May 9, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • I'm The Best!

Their prices are so high because they let pedophile priests fly for free

May 9, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • RillyKewl

agreed.

May 9, 2012 at 9:20 am |
  6. Al

So Delta the airline is offended by the delta of Venus. How ironic.

May 9, 2012 at 9:07 am |
  7. Thom

Here's my boycott – NO DELTA!

May 9, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • suki

Boycott Stewart's show. Insult to all women.

May 9, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

Insult to women? You mean like how he is for women having the right to have control over their reproductive organs? Yeah, really insulting women there.

May 9, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • Paul Thomas

insult to the 50% women that are being aborted due to another woman's choice?

May 9, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • HadEnuf

Paul Thomas: until the fetus is viable outside the womb it is just as much a person as your appendix. That's my view. You will never agree, just as I will never agree with you.

You believe in god, I believe in the flying spaghetti monster. What it comes down to is I will not let anyone make choices for me, no more than you will let no one make choices for you.

John is hilarious, and yes, he's made fun of things I believe in, but he's always hilarious. To be offended and up in arms over a comedian is funny too. Because Catholics are more invested in condemning John Stewart than in fixing their broken church. My choice is to watch John everyday. Your choice is clear...watch him or don't watch him. Life is full of choices. You may not like the choices you have, but you still have a choice...which in and of itself is ironic because religions are so against choice...

May 9, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  8. Hypocrisy Hunter

Chris O, you think that "Christians and Catholics in particular are an easy target." Do you really think that Jews, and especially Muslims are NOT an easy target? Ask any Muslim and you might get a very different opinion.

May 9, 2012 at 9:05 am |
    • Paul Thomas

Do you ever feel the hunter has become the hunted? 🙂

May 9, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  9. Mario

I will reevaluate my travel options: NO DELTA!

May 9, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Shannon

Please join the Boycott Delta page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Deltas-Support-of-The-Catholic-League/415177505168604

May 9, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  10. Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

Have they never watched the Daily Show before? Delta sucks anyway, what a horrible airline.

May 9, 2012 at 9:02 am |
  11. RillyKewl

Boycott Delta, everybody! Its as easy as that.
    Tell your friends.

May 9, 2012 at 9:01 am |
  12. Jatovi

They support fox news but won't support a comedy show. Sad world.

May 9, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • Paul Thomas

There are many things that make this a sad world. Your picks are trivial in comparison.

May 9, 2012 at 9:52 am |
  13. Brett

If this Daily Show joke offends you, you have no sense of humor or the understanding that this situation is 180 degrees different from the personal attack that Rush put on that woman for expressing her American rights of free speech. This was a segment on his show that wasn't even aimed at the Church, rather at 'FoxNews' and its "War on; everything and anything comments". People need to grow up, stop taking things out of context (I know that's difficult with media today) and really ask themselves how a joke made on a television show really affects their lives. Oh wait – it doesn't.

May 9, 2012 at 8:59 am |
  14. Chris O

Why didn't he use a picture from his own faith if this was simply a joke. What about a picture of worshippers at the wailing wall, Just imagine the outcry if he used a picture of Muhammed!!! or even Muslims worshipping at Mecca??? I can see the news if Mel Gibson did something similar to the Star of David!!

The answer here is simple, He is anti Catholic and people turn a blind eye towards hatred directed at the Catholic and other Christian churches. All you have to do is read many of the posts on this story to see the hatred directed at the church.

Jon Stewart doesn't have the courage to use pictures from his own faith because Christians and Catholics in particular are an easy target.

May 9, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • WhatNow

He makes fun of himself, his religious background and all other religions all the time. Apparently, you don't watch the show that much.

May 9, 2012 at 8:59 am |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

Stewart is anti-religion. Maybe you should watch the show more than once in your life. He makes fun of all religions but Catholics a little more because they are trying to push their ideals into politics. It's a show designed to be an insult to the disgrace that is politics in our country. He probably wouldn't make fun of Catholics so much if they'd stick their nose out of politics.

May 9, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Chris O

Your right, I don't watch the show, never did, because he is not funny. This is not a joke about a priest and rabbi walking into a bar....., Neither one of you answered the questions, yes, he makes fun of all religions, but at times, such as this, it is simply done to offend and is simply not funny. Furthermore, you are saying that Catholics have no right to express their view, by "Keeping out of Politics" as you suggest. Your response simply enforces my point. It is acceptable to be anti Catholic.

Believe it or not, even Catholic have a right to their opinion.

May 9, 2012 at 9:09 am |
    • Woooooot

You must not watch the show at all, otherwise you would know that Jon Stewart makes fun of his own religion all the time. Quit being a baby and regurgitating what your caregivers tell you.

May 9, 2012 at 9:11 am |
    • Brett

Chris O – This wasn't even a joke intended to bash Catholics or Christians. It was a segment about Fox News sensationalizing a fake "War on Religion", all the people like you who are just jumping on the bandwagon of the Church need to understand the topic first.

May 9, 2012 at 9:13 am |
    • DrJStrangepork

The difference is that the Catholic church has attempted to be the managers of reproductive organs and their related uses for hundreds of years. I can understand the image branding issue of relating the nativity scene to it, but they opened the door to the joke.

May 9, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

Yeah, you do have a right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to force other people to live by your moral standards. I have my opinion on certain topics but I'm not forcing you to adhere to my standards. I'm not forcing you to take birth control. I'm not forcing you to have your girlfriend/wife get an abortion. Stop telling other people how to live their lives!

May 9, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  15. Michael

Why is Jon's creative story being bashed by Christians? At least his story is based on facts unlike your entire religion.

May 9, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • Paul Thomas

Are you Michael Moore? Because only he would spin what Stewart said as "creative". Would you call a racist gorilla joke "original"?

May 9, 2012 at 8:59 am |
    • George

There is a religion based on facts? Which one would that be?

May 9, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

What would telling a "racist gorilla joke" have to do with this? There's a difference between race and religion.

May 9, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • RillyKewl

Good comedy is creative. This joke is good comedy.
      Ergo…

May 9, 2012 at 9:16 am |
    • RillyKewl

Mike Moore is a creative genius as well, obviously.

May 9, 2012 at 9:17 am |
  16. James

Okay Delta, re-evaluate your advertising opportunities, in the mean-time I'll be flying with Jet Blue.

May 9, 2012 at 8:52 am |
    • Sensisence

Southwest .. get with it

May 9, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  17. Harold Rabinowitz

I think John Stewart is funny. I like the show. However, there is such a thing as offensive. He went too far.
    For instance, What's the difference between a J eww and a pizza?
    Why doesn't he tell that joke?

May 9, 2012 at 8:51 am |
    • frisgaro

He does tell jokes on Jews (and everyone else).

May 9, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • WhatNow

Yet, Mr. Stewart would be the first one to defend your right to tell that joke. Actually, he makes fun of himself and his religious background all the time.

May 9, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • Paul Thomas

Stewart practices Judism as much as Obama practices Christianity.

May 9, 2012 at 9:01 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

There is no "too far" in comedy.

May 9, 2012 at 9:01 am |
    • RillyKewl

Why don't you get your own hit show + tell your dom joke on it there?

May 9, 2012 at 9:05 am |
    • Harold Rabinowitz

He tells self effacing jokes but no where near as offensive. There's a difference. Why can't you comprehend this?

May 9, 2012 at 9:24 am |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

Man, you really don't watch Daily Show, do you?

May 9, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  18. S-Hug

Delta should be more concerned with their poor service and excessive fees than what this (quite intelligent) comedian shows in his skits.

May 9, 2012 at 8:48 am |
    • Kellie

well put.

May 9, 2012 at 8:52 am |
    • Paul Thomas

Mind, body, soul. Three parts make the person. Jon may be strong on the intellect, but lacks in the soul department.

May 9, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

There is almost certainly no such thing as a "soul".

Soul is just a less sophisticated word for human consciousness.

May 9, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • rizzo

Stewart has more of a soul than the people who pressured Delta can ever hope to have.

May 9, 2012 at 9:08 am |
    • Paul Thomas

I guess you will never find your soulmate then 🙂 Almost certainly does not sound so certain.

May 9, 2012 at 9:11 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

I use almost certainly in the same way as I'd say there are almost certainly no hobbits or elves.

May 9, 2012 at 9:17 am |
    • Paul Thomas

or almost certainly alien life on other planets? Maybe there are almost certainly hobits on other planets.

May 9, 2012 at 9:23 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

Statistically, there is almost certainly plenty of intelligent life on other planets.

May 9, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • Paul Thomas

We agree. Life is certainly on other planets. I would go as far as to say also in other dimensions. My point is that "almost certainly" leaves plenty of room for doubt.

May 9, 2012 at 9:37 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

It does leave plenty of room for doubt, but I'd prefer if the doubt was dealt with rationally, rather than it being filled with fairy stories.

May 9, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  19. Alex

Fair enough Delta. You spend your advertising money as you see fit. Plenty of other airlines to support as well.

May 9, 2012 at 8:47 am |
    • frisgaro

I think Jon Stewart is funny and I like him and most of his humor. Delta on the other hand is just the airline that I have chosen to use. I'll rethink the Delta choice.

May 9, 2012 at 8:52 am |
  20. Pete

"'You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.'"

"the 80%" is a collective noun. You should have ended with "feels," Donohue.

/pedantry