home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. michele

Don't you dare apologize Daily Show or Jon Stewart. Every advertiser has the right to pull and place ads, every network has the right to show whatever content they want, and we have every right to watch or change channels.

May 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • nadinesh

Bravo, Michele! You said it!

May 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Woooooot

He won't. He has integrity.

May 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • mandarax

Not only will he not apologize, he will say "I will not censor myself to comfort your ignorance." Perfect.

May 9, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
  2. TransHuman

Who flies Delta, anyways? Oh, right. Apparently hyper-conservative, humorless Catholics. Sounds like a fun flight....

May 9, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Sal

Why are you "blaming" the airline? What the Daily Show did was disgusting and all you can do is blame the airline and think it's funny? Wouldn't your mother be proud. What ever happened to having values in this Country???

May 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Yes, Trans. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. An airline completely void of Jon Stewart-loving creeps. THAT'S my kind of airline. Can't wait for my summer travel. Should be even more pleasant than I was expecting now that I know the bitter, leftist, cynical creeps will be walking to their destinations. Or whatever. Flying on broomsticks perhaps.

May 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • flashtrum

Right. I'm sure if the Koran was in place of the manger, no one would get killed over that......

May 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • TransHuman

Sal, my mom was a nun for 10 years (Sister of St. Joseph), and left the convent because the bigotry of her fellow nuns was too much for her. I grew up Catholic, went to parochial school K-8. My dad taught & was in administration at a Catholic university. One of my closest friends is a principal at a parochial school. We've chatted about it, and they all thought the skit was _hilarious_, and spot on. Loosen up, my man, life's too short not to laugh at it...

May 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • desstro

Stupidity at its best. He has not insulted women and I dont feel sorry for religious freaks. Church has been crushing lives of ordinary people for a thousand years. I want punishment for that. i want all church priests at a congressional hearing to explain to me why the church has oppressed the lives of ppl for a thousand years.

May 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • romeo

Let's put it to a vote: is one fine troll an ee or a sh.are, holder for deltal? Or did she work on this epic pr fail? Clearly she is honing an ax for a reason.

May 9, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  3. BD

I watch the Daily Show every night and can't recall seeing any Delta commercials or Delta anything. Delta should spend more time creating more effective ads and more affordable and customer friendly flights than listening to a few angry Bible thumpers.

May 9, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  4. PJ

Thank goodness – we have a choice in air travel – Good Bye Delta

May 9, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Don't let the door hit you in the keister, PJ.

I'm so delighted knowing that I can fly Delta this summer and be surrounded by people who are blissfully untouched by the bitterness and cynicism of the very low-rated Jon Stewart.

May 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • nadinesh

Considering where you usually put your head, Blondie, I'm sure the only company you usually have is worms and the occasional beetle.

May 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • romeo

So, oneblondtroll, are you an ee or share.holder in delta? Or did you work on this epic pr disaster?

May 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
  5. Nii

This is an example of illogical thinking! How is education supposed to remove faith. Its as if you have not been in college in the last twenty years. The pressures or academic life and hard partying leave little space for you to discover God or anything outside school. It is a challenge.

May 9, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • romeo

speaking of illogical! You take this one Spock!

May 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  6. Voice of Reason

Boycott Delta and North Carolina tourism industry!

May 9, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Au contraire, "Reason."

I just booked a trip on Delta to the North Carolina Coast. Can't wait!

May 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Do us a favor and STAY THERE!

May 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • BFD

Sure you did.

May 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • romeo

So, which is it? ee or share?

May 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  7. ART

Oh I forgot to add Bill Donohue is a hypocrite and an idiot

May 9, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Primewonk

Not necessary to add it ART. We all understand that it is a given.

May 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  8. Emerald Laughter

What is truly offensive is the way the Catholic Church tries to own the bodies of it's parishioners.

May 9, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Emerald,

I know that this will come as a bolt out of the blue to you, but membership in the Catholic Church is entirely voluntary.

May 9, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • jheron

One fine blond...do all those kids that get dragged to church by their parents for their weekly indoctrination have a choice? Do you tell your kids that believing the catholic faith is a simple choice with no consequences if they choose not to believe? Do you tell them you choose to believe but there is a good chance other belief systems or non belief systems are correct? Its hardly voluntary for many people.

May 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • manycatsonekid

There's that stereotype again...

The Catholic church interferes non-stop in secular business, whether it be television shows, women's health issues or who can sleep with whom (excluding themselves, of course). They have financed SECULAR political campaigns in several states to force their opinion on the populace, which should have cost them their tax-exemption status long ago.

May 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  9. ElodieStClair

Hahahahaha. Thank you, Delta, for bringing this hilarious bit to so many people's attention. I hadn't seen it before.

May 9, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  10. Damien

Catholic, well educated with children.... and I'm NOT offended either, Geo.

May 9, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  11. ART

Well it looks like Delta airlines just lost me as a customer

May 9, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Well ART, they lost you. They gained me. I just booked my summer vacation on DELTA. And I'm so pleased that Delta took this action because it was an easy way to weed out the undesirables. Now, I don't have to worry about being stuck sitting next to YOU.

May 9, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • KMW

OneFineBlonde,

I also booked a trip on Delta and will be glad that the plane will not be filled with these vulger, crude types. It is time we brought back dignity and style on the planes.

May 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Yes, indeed, KMW.

See you in the air!

May 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • closet atheist

Let's play a game....

1.) Low levels of education tend to be positively correlated with religiosity
      2.) Low level of education is also positively correlated with low income
      3.) Low incomes mean less discretionary income for flying

So, by appealing to the religious right, Delta is pandering to the lower-income, uneducated religious-types that aren't as likely to be flying anyway. That's a bad trade in my book.

May 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • romeo

So, one fine troll are you an ee or a sh.are, holder for deltal? Or did you work on this epic pr fail? Clearly yo are honing an ax.

May 9, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
  12. Kyran

What a joke! See you delta! The Daily Show doesn't feel sorry for you ignorant company. Eff Delta, they are off of my travel options.

May 9, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Kyran,

You're not fooling anybody. You weren't flying anywhere anytime soon anyway . . . except maybe "flying" up the basement steps when Mom calls, "Dinner."

Heh. heh. heh.

May 9, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Woooooot

Oh OneFineBlonde you're not fooling anyone either. You're a troll! trololololololo

May 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • romeo

I vote one fine troll is an ee of delta–I don't think she has a pr kind of mind–not creative enough and clearly not enough $$ for sh.holder.

May 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
  13. Ray

Ah yes, the repugnant Bill Donohue strikes again. I will never ever be able to hear his name without thinking of the great job South Park did spoofing him and his one-person 'organization'.

May 9, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  14. n8263

Thank you Jon Stewart for standing up to jerks like Donohue who want to impose their personal Sharia Law on everyone else.

May 9, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  15. Skeeve

Delta pulled something? Perfect, I know now which company I will not fly anymore with

May 9, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Come on, Skeeve. You can stop the posing. We all know that the only places you "travel" are (by foot) to the used bookstore and then back home again to Mom's basement.

Delta isn't worried about losing your "business."

May 9, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • romeo

I say ticket counter or janitorial staff. What is your vote? is one fine troll an ee or sh.holder of delta? Or, did she work on this epic pr fail?

May 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  16. Kyran

May 9, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  17. Jerome Horowitz

What have Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights done about all the child molestations?
    They may have done alot, but I don't know, so I'm asking.

May 9, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Jon Stewart?

Is HE still on the air? I thought not since when I checked the most recent ratings for cable shows, neither Stewart nor his i diot buddy Bill Maher were in the top 25.

What WAS in the top-rated 25 shows? Well, "Pawn Stars," for one. And "River Monsters," for another. STEWART LOST OUT TO PAWN STARS AND RIVER MONSTERS. Heh. heh. heh.

On the night of the nasty little insult to Christians, exactly 1.692 million people were watching Stewart. On the same night, almost three million people were watching a re-run of "The Family Guy." Heh. heh. heh.

May 9, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • manycatsonekid

Blondie, you are living up to the stereotype...

May 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • Jacques Strappe, World Famous French Ball Juggler

OneFineBlonde, are you including statistics for watching his show online? When I didn't have cable I would just watch it online. Actually I don't always catch it on TV so I'll watch it online, even after I got cable.

May 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  18. Jolenye

Wow. How does Donohue speak for 80% of the population? I'm Christian and he certainly does not speak for me. The outrage here should be directed at the medical procedure Stewart was referencing – regardless of your views on abortion. It is a straightfoward violation of the human body totally out of sync with the Hippocratic Oath...not to mention downright unethical. Good for Stewart....I would not expect him to back down and kowtow to this religious right group who claim to know how I "feel" and who pull numbers out of thin air to back up their agenda.

May 9, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  19. One Voice

Dear Delta,

I am a Diamond Member! I will be using other airlines from hence forth.

May 9, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Hey! That's great news, Voice. Because I just booked my vacation travel with Delta and I sure as heck didn't want to be sitting next to you.

I've got an idea. Why don't you travel with Spirit? I hear that they have a few openings. Heh. heh. heh.

May 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • Menlow

Ha! I vote ticket counter.

May 9, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  20. Geo

Christian, well educated with children....NOT offended.

May 9, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • OneFineBlonde

Geo,

Christian, well educated with children and VERY offended.

May 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • just sayin

OneFine Blond: If you are offended, suck it up. No-one gives a rats ass that you are against reality or equal rights. No-one believes you are educated because you sound like an idiot...you do believe god exists so that explains it all ass-hole

May 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Huebert

@ Geo
      Yeah, an intelligent christian with a sense of humor.

@ OneFineBlond
      And I'm sure you are fine. No one cares if you get offended you don't watch the show anyway.

May 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm |