home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. Duane - St. Pete FLA

hey libs....if Obama is elected again....(no way), can we please have another "CASH FOR CLUNKERS" deal??? man, that was one really really smart idea!!! hahahaha I also want to see him "bow" to the prince again too!! then he can speand another almost trillion bucks to get that pesky unemployment rate down past 8% (whoops, already did that and it FAILED)......wait...hold on, what's this?!? Obama had all of congress locked up for about two straight years and did what???? NOTHING but pass a health law that is about to be STRUCK DOWN. He is da man!!!!!

Mitt 2012!!

May 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Woooooot

Hey Duane! This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. There should be another comment section on cnn that matches your concern. Thanks!

May 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • Primewonk

Duaane appears to be yet another ignorant, fundiot, moronic tea bagger who is still pîssed that the smart, well educated *gasp* black man was elected President.

Duane, I don't seem to remember you, or the other tea baggers expressing umbrage when Bush, the Younger, bowed to the Saudi king – hell, he freaking kissed him!

May 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • mandarax

I sort of doubt that "umbrage" is among Duane's vocabulary.

May 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  2. Woooooot

Delta. Won't be flying anymore. Etc.

May 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  3. BoldGeorge

I often wonder (very often) why big media/entertainment people do not ever portray Mohammed, Buddha, Dalai Lama or any other non-Christian representation when publicly making a statement in manner of sarcasm, joke or vulgarism.

I keep on asking this but no one seems to ever have an answer or is it perhaps a fear of the very possible consequence of the answer?

May 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Hemming

Watch The Daily show and you will see that happen all the time. They are equal opportunity comedians.

May 10, 2012 at 12:32 am |
  4. Primewonk

Perhaps hate groups like these wouldn't be seen as backwoods misogynistic cretins if they wouldn't be in support of the forced ràped of women with transvàginal probes?

May 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
  5. just sayin

Speaking of Delta....I flew once and won't be flying again. One of the worst run airlines and service.

May 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Eh.

You weren't flying anyplace anyway, blowhard. Except maybe "flying" up the basement stairs when your mom calls, "Dinner."

Delta is trembling in its boots over the prospective "loss" of your "business." Not.

May 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • just sayin

Interesting because I fly at least once a month for business. You know to get out of my mother's house.

May 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Halladay

Blondaria, is it really you or is your rant being sent up again? Sometimes your so crazy I can't tell unless it includes the beck footy pajamas.

May 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  6. closet atheist

Let's play a game....

1.) High levels of education tend to be negatively correlated with religiosity and, by extension, low levels of education tend to be positively correlated with religiosity
    2.) Low level of education is also positively correlated with low income
    3.) Low incomes mean less discretionary income for flying

So, by caving to the religious right, Delta is pandering to the lower-income, uneducated, religious-types that aren't as likely to be flying anyway. That's a bad trade in my book.

May 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • closet atheist

OneFineBlond / Rich C... anybody wanna weigh in?

May 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • just sayin

I din't know majority of Nascar fans and Walmart shoppers flew Delta. lol

May 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Sorry, Atheist.

Those "studies" you love to cite are all conducted by leftist atheists. No researcher bias there! Heh. heh. heh.

Personally, I have seven more years of higher education than you do, including a professional degree.

I'm a million-mile flier with American, but I spread the wealth around. I just booked my summer travel with Delta. I'm flying to the North Carolina Coast. So sorry that I won't be bumping into you!

May 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • closet atheist

Congratulations on your advanced degrees, OneFineAnomaly...!! However, I don't recall where I mentioned my education level....

May 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • mailina

You'll have to forgive blondinka, the peroxide has gone to her head. She is forever making stuff up–your education level, her education level, that she is flying anywhere. Its not her fault, its the chemicals.

May 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  7. tlpsmith

OneFineBlonde is posting from his or her parents' basement. Btw, I won't be flying Delta so I don't have to sit next to someone who's narcissistic and keeps saying, "Heh, heh, heh." People who laugh at their own jokes are so pathetic.

May 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Woooooot

I for one, welcome OneFineBlonde as our newest troll. I hope she has more stories to share about how awesome she is and how everyone who disagrees with her lives in their mother's basement!

May 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
  8. M Risheberger

I highly doubt that 80% of Americans watch the Jon Stewart Show, and if you do and don't like too liberal or near the edge jokes, why don't you just change chanels? Rather than attempt to impose your beliefs and
    feelings on others, search for something wonderful to improve your own mind. And Delta? I wonder if they
    still serve real coffee with cafein to their remaining customers.

\\\\

May 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  9. Primewonk

Saddened wrote, " Because the right to murder a child isn't I don't know...just? If Jesus were alive now he'd be crying over the millions of unborn lives claimed in the name of a woman's rights.

You're sickening to even imagine such a thing"

Perhaps you should express some umbrage over Jess's daddy. Your god claims omnipotence and omniscience. And 50% of all pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion – most before the woman even knows she is pregnant. Your god is personally responsible for each h and every one of those abortions.

May 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  10. Duane - St. Pete FLA

agree or not that's Delta's call....I'm not offended. Stewart reminds me of the kid in high school who was funny for a while but after about five minutes you wanted to kick his ass.....he's a born smart ass and there very much seems to be a lot of hate with him right under the surface.....liberals want to think "progressive" and want to be perceived as "open and accepting of others who are not like them".....except for whites, christains and the rich...then your bad...

May 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • mailina

I imagine your five minute time limit is because that is when you stop being able to riposte with a rejoinder? Education could help there Duane.

May 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
  11. Mike F.

Well, I guess I'm not flying Delta anymore

May 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  12. just sayin

ps you do know when you are on your knees praying...Jesus is teabagging you.

May 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  13. n8263

Thank you Jon Stewart for standing up to jerks like Donohue who want to impose their personal Sharia Law on everyone else.

May 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  14. just sayin

"Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel"
    Will the 80% accept responsibility for the negative as well? Or will they keep using the 20% as scapegoats for all that is bad? More and more the Catholics demonstrate how outsdated they are. Shame the Catholic church does not show as much zest speaking out against child r ap e in their church. Oh wait they hire attorneys and try to settle pennies on the dollar to shut people up. Catholics are far from being Christians.

May 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  15. wolfpackbob

The bottom line is that there are limits to civil discussion and limits to civil comedy. Even CNN limits to some extent the level of offensive print here. It is apparent that the blog stream here supporting absolutely no limits or boundaries for the ridicule of faith is being driven by those of no faith, despite Stewart being Jewish. Jon Stewart would be offended by that extremism.

May 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • momoya

What's the bottom line and where do you place it and why.. You leave out too much information for a reasonable person to consider your position.

May 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • just sayin

Well at least you aren't being fed to the lions...tissue?

May 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm |

just sayin

ps you do know when you are on your knees praying...Jesus is teabagging you..

May 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Huebert

Comedy isn't civil.

May 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Paris Hilton Discovers What Came Before The Big Bang!!

Oh, poor widdle just sayin thinks he is being fed to the wions. He's so persecuted! The bible says so, so it must be true. He can't show you where, but gosh he's persecuted. Very very persecuted. Been fed to lions three or four times already today.

May 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • just sayin

Paris Hilton Discovers What Came Before The Big Bang!!

----
      Please reread my post and think about how my post was directed. God help the stupid.

May 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  16. GRivera

We are for JON – will not fly Delta – they are liars! They are defending the religious sector – WHO IS IN THE WRONG!
    TAX THE CHURCHES! They want to use thier rules to lay down the law – THEN PAY YOUR TAXES! I do not want to pay for their prayer!

May 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

YOU are JON?!?

What? All three dozen of you?

I'm sure Delta is just trembling in its boots at the thought that all of the Jon Stewart lovers will be shunning them. NOT!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

May 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  17. Bill Donohue Loses A Debate With A Chicken, Boycotts KFC

So Bill Donohue and his League Of Catholic Media Whores are out grabbing attention and bullying corporations, just like Jesus would have done. What teapot can he pretend there is a tempest in today? Where can yet another of his boycotts fail?

I'm sure Jon Stewart is deeply thankful that Donohue gave him something easy to stand up against, so that Jon comes out looking like a champion to his audience. Stewart should send Donohue a nice thank you card.

Delta gets the award for stupid blunders they should know beter than doing. Hint – can any of you even name any other of Stewart's advertisers beyond the ones listed here? Keep quiet, keep market share. Delta blew it for getting involved.

May 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  18. Bill

Since we on topic: Delta is the worse, most abusive flying experience; run by a bunch of incompetent, rude people. I am glad the Daily show won't have to continue to spread their phony, disingenuous commercials about how they 'care' about their passengers, Delta make me laugh.

May 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
  19. cbus

I hate how the automatic censors do not take context into account.

May 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  20. desstro

Stupidity at its core best. He has not insulted women and I dont feel sorry for religious freaks. Church has been crushing lives of ordinary people for a thousand years. I want punishment for that. i want all church priests at a congressional hearing to explain to me why the church has oppressed the lives of ppl for a thousand years.

May 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Yes, I'm sure that you do, desstro.

All of you leftists are just in LOVE with the idea of totalitarian government and exerting power over people whose views you disagree with . . . all while pretending that you are just imbued with tolerance.

May 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • GRivera

I agree with you – TIME TO TAX THE CHURCHES!

May 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • momoya

@OneFineBlonde

You lost your credibility when you implied that "Jon Stewart loving creeps" are some sort of group of hara.assers to be avoided.

May 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • OneFineBlonde

Momoya,

Who appointed YOU as determiner of credibility? I couldn't possibly care less what you think of my opinions.

And by the way, since you're doubtless an Obama voter, there's some bad, bad news today for you, missy. But you can always avoid it by NOT going to Real Clear Politics, where Obama's approval numbers are in the to i let. All the latest polls show Romney winning. There's one outlier - Reuters. But then Reuters' polls were a miserable flop in the '08 election, so we all know they're wrong now as well.

Oh, and one more thing. In the West Virginia Democrat primary, a write-in candidate who is a felon serving more than 200 years in prison got almost as many votes as Obama. I thought that was pretty funny.

Have a nice day!

May 9, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Woooooot

@momoya: She lost credibility when she started trolling a few posts back.
      I for one, welcome our troll! I hope she tells us more about how she's flying Delta with like-minded people! Gosh!

May 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • KMW

OneFineBlonde,

You seem to be one of the few intelligent posters on this blog. Thank you.

Momoya, you do not seem to be too bright as OneFineBlonde never said anything about "creeps." I happen to be on the same page as OneFineBlonde and like her opinions!!!

May 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Anon

Then you're an idiot. OneFineBlond is an unintelligent, hatemonger troll and is the epitomy of everything wrong in our society. She apparently has no employment (and no life) because she's commented from page 20 to page 42 of this thread.

May 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • KMW

To Anon,

What kind of name is that? You sound very foreign to me.

May 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • BFD

KMW
      Reading comprehension problem?

Here is the statement you say did not happen:
      OneFineBlonde

Yes, Trans. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. An airline completely void of Jon Stewart-loving creeps. THAT'S my kind of airline. Can't wait for my summer travel. Should be even more pleasant than I was expecting now that I know the bitter, leftist, cynical creeps will be walking to their destinations. Or whatever. Flying on broomsticks perhaps.

May 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm |