home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. Shigeyoshi

My father has aldraey passed away for more than 10 years now but I still miss him everyday.The sweetest thing and also the most memorable gift I gave my father for father’s day was a banana republic printed white shirt. It’s the first gift I gave him from my own money.I know that he loves wearing printed white shirts that I immediately bought it the moment I saw it on display.It’s just sad that he never got to wear it. Because he got sick immediately after and died just 2 weeks of being ill.That’s the most memorable and also my last gift to him for father’s day. On his epitaph we wrote, we can only give you love that will last forever. A line from That’s All, the themesong of my papa and mama. True enough, eversince his death, that’s the only gift we can give him, for father’s day, his birthday, Christmas, new year and every day of the year, our love that will last forever.

September 9, 2012 at 2:36 am |
  2. Eluh

casa nikki panama Posted on I ululasy don't ordinarily post on many another Blogs, still I just has to say thank you keep up the amazing work. Ok regrettably its time to get to school.

September 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  3. Daimler

Layla,I was just watching the video of Maximus pnkiicg the winner of your contest. My little girl and her friend are playing in the same room and could hear you. They got up and watched the video with me and they were cracking up. Thanks for making our night. I hope you feel better soon.DebbiePS Can you add my blog as a link on your blog?It is debbietibbs.blogspot.com.Thanks again

September 7, 2012 at 3:45 am |
  4. mp3

Great submit, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not understand this. You should continue your writing. I'm confident, you have a great readers' base already!|What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & aid different customers like its aided me. Great job.

June 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  5. ctvince

Being Catholic I am not offended as Mr. Donahue is. Fact is that women should protect themselves from amoral liberalists like Jon who have been using and abusing them, with their consent , – of course.

June 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Sovereignty

You should probably refer to the dictionary before posting unless your goal is to appear stupid and evil.
      Sorry if that was your intention.

June 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  6. Kindness

Kindness
    For you.
    A thought to consider without a typical ego response

Accept Jesus christ as your lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Let go and let god".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from som other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

June 7, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • trovingx

Put down the book of old jewish fairytales and I have some koolaid for you to drink

June 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  7. Chris Sanchez

"'m not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine."

June 7, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  8. Chris Sanchez

This is insane. The Daily Show is a comedy show. If comedy shows now have to be politically correct, then there would be no point. I love the Daily Show and John Steward. I do not believe others have to. But if you do not like John or the show, or if the content offends you, change the dam channel.

June 7, 2012 at 9:23 am |
  9. firecoachk

I'm now boycotting Delta due to their cowardly choice to bow to the shrill demands of these habitual child molesters.

June 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • gsperson

Excellent. One less anti religious zealot on my flight.

June 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

hmm ...a coach that was fired? Is this you fired and on trial Penn State Coach Sandusky?

June 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • bernie sanderson

i agree with you fircoachk!

June 6, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
  10. TonyB

more catholic moralists- clean up your own mess first catholics.

June 6, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • bernie sanderson

i agree with you!

June 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
  11. onestarman

I am a Little Tired of listening to the MORALITY of Old Men in Robes who think women are 'Icky'

June 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Father Bob

and young boys are yummy.

June 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  12. New Gawker

Again if only these religious fanatics would focus on stopping the priests from raping young boys the world would be a better place.

June 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • jorge

They took a vow of celibacy & every republican knows that intercourse, like marriage, is only between a Man and a Woman, so they have no other option but young boys.

June 6, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • Mark From Middle River

Even victims groups have declared that they are only dealing with 4% to 7% of Priest. If we go by your view there are higher percentages of Whites that are racist. Does that mean that folks like Louis Farakhan was right that we should label all Whites as klan members?

June 6, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  13. Jane

LOLOL little do the Catholics know very few people give a rat's behind about what they have to say. Dear Catholics, stop raping kids before you worry about TV shows.

June 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  14. Bert0529

Hey Donahue! Do you really think you can spare the time to be publicly offended by Jon Stewart?? That electric fence to pen in all the gays isn't going to build itself, you know. Get your post hole digger and get out there.....

June 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  15. JP

I am a believer in God and also free speech. You don't like it, don't watch. Don't buy their products.Everyone needs to stop trying to force their beliefs on others. If God doesn't like it he'll take it up with John Stewart in his own fashion. As for me I love comedy central. I am 53 years old and love South Park and Tosh.0

June 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Dona

Perfectly articulated, and so nice to meet you, JP – I was beginning to think I was the only one!

June 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Junie

Agree with you 100%!

June 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • gsperson

Who's forcing their beliefs on others here? As you say, if you don't like it, don't watch. Certainly Delta is also afforded that freedom. They don't like their name associated with Stewart – they're not advertising.

June 6, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • bernie sanderson

same here!!

June 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • Chris Sanchez

Yep, I am with you too.

gsperson, the issue is not with Delta pulling their ad – certainly their choice. The issue is with the Catholic League pressuring companies to pull their ad because they do not agree with the content of the show. In fact if it were not for the Catholic League, this really would not even be news. Those guys make me ashamed to be Catholic.

June 7, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  16. Skippy

Have you ever seen this Donahue speak on TV? My God, what a one-note MORON! He gives anyone with any religous beliefs anywhere A BAD NAME! His only reason for existence, evidently, is to spout off to the media that his peeps are being victimized AGAIN!

Please, shut your ignorant, ranting pie-hole and go to your church and PRAY for revenge and ultimate superiority! That is all you want anyway.

June 5, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  17. yahmez

One of the great things about America is freedom of speech. Jon Stewart was well within that right as he satirized the conservative war against women. Delta has the right to pull their ads from his show. Kellogg's has the right to not pull their ads, no matter what a bunch of butthurt catholics have to say on the matter.
    I will not let an organization that helps pedophiles get away with their crimes tell me what I can have for breakfast.

June 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Skippy

Nice point! Well done.

June 5, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Dona

Thank you, yahmez. I wish I had written that!

June 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • bernie sanderson

well said..are you listening delta?

June 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  18. DOCFEE

IN RESPONSE TO: john

I'm surprised that the catholic cult is objecting unless it's because they'd rather see the manger situated between the legs of a 10 year-old boy, an alternative that they historically seem to embrace.
    Spot on. John Stewart is a comedy show host. Don't agree....don't watch !!!!

June 4, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  19. john

June 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  20. Scott

Wow...Donohue is still alive?

June 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm |