home
RSS
Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit
A Jon Stewart skit that referenced "vagina mangers" has angered a conservative Catholic group.
May 8th, 2012

Delta pulls 'Daily Show' ads over 'vagina manger' skit

By Dan Gilgoff and Dave Alsup, CNN

(CNN) - Delta Air Lines has pulled its advertising from “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” over a skit in which Stewart featured a picture of a manger in between a naked woman’s legs, the company said Tuesday.

In the April skit, Stewart jokingly encouraged women to use “vagina mangers” to “protect their reproductive organs from unwanted medical intrusions.”

In a statement Tuesday, Delta Air Lines spokesperson Leslie Parker said that “We're always re-evaluating our advertising opportunities and updating our strategy in an effort to reach our desired audience.”

“Delta doesn't discriminate nor do we condone discrimination in regard to age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or gender,” Parker’s statement continued. She said that Delta made the decision to pull its ads on Thursday.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, a conservative group that has waged a weeks-long campaign pressuring Stewart to apologize for the skit, had pressured Delta and other Comedy Central advertisers to pull their Daily Show ads.

Catholic League President Bill Donohue has encouraged a boycott of Kellogg’s because it has declined to pull its spots.

On Tuesday, Donohue announced that he’d sent a letter to the leadership at Viacom, the corporate parent of Comedy Central, which airs “The Daily Show.”

“You should be as offended as we are,” the letter said. “But if you are not, consider a picture of your own mother inserted there instead. Perhaps you now understand how the 80% of the nation that is Christian feel.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“What Stewart did wasn’t a joke,” Donohue’s letter continued. “It was hate speech. We could have pressed for him to be fired, but we did not. All we want is an apology.”

Media representatives at Comedy Central did not immediately respond to a request for comment. At a stand-up appearance in Florida last month, Stewart acknowledged the Catholic League’s campaign against him, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said, decrying what he called the cable news-fueled “outrage machine.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • TV

soundoff (2,495 Responses)
  1. Jesus Schwartz

The same Catholics that are upset about a joke on the Daily Show are the same Catholics who condone child abuse?
    What is wrong with this picture?
    What is wrong with Catholics?

May 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • /sigh

just remember the inquisition, its ok to do anything violent as long as it is against people who you disagree with.

May 8, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  2. N. Hardin

Just like in the '80's Delta still trys to "get you close".

May 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  3. cas

My choice of airlines have just been narrowed down for me. Negative DELTA AIRLINES....BAD DELTA AIRLINES....NOT GOOD DELTA AIRLINES...psychology reinforced. Thank you.

May 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Dywlf

I think it's good they don't fire stewart, where would all the mindless libs get their opinions?

May 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  4. Kane

This article brought something very important to light...I missed another great episode of the daily show! Thankfully, I've now gone back to watch that episode, and all the advertising that comes with it. Thanks Delta, for reminding me!

BTW, I don't plan on flying with you anymore.

May 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • John

rat own!!!!!!!!

May 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  5. DaveL

I'm a Christian, but I'm not a religious zealot....... I'll be flying Southwest from now on.

May 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  6. Jason D

Delta Doesnt discriminate....the fact they overcharge their customers, are the number one airline that kills pets while transporting them, has been considered the worst ailine in america time after time but they dont discriminate......thankfully i do so I DON'T FLY DELTA !!!

May 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  7. American

Zionist shills like Stewart take keen interest in seeing to it that US babies are aborted and the birthrate remains low.

May 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Jesus Schwartz

Well he is doing a GREAT job...

May 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Janine from TX

You sound a bit deranged or off your meds.

May 8, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • HeyDelta

Well I guess you need to stop posting and start babymaking, shouldn't you.

May 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
  8. /sigh

So wait people are mad because it was a manger?
    That is so asinine, is this the 13th century?
    Maybe we should round up some inquisitors to put a stop to this immediatly!

May 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • /sigh

rabble! rabble!

May 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  9. Michael

Wow, what a shocker... typical leftists on CNN whining about how the Catholic Church shouldn't worry about this, or they're overreacting, blah blah blah. Of course if a conservative were to stand up and make a joke about gays, blacks, mexicans, etc., you would be screaming for his blood, boycotting his advertisers, and rioting in the streets until he was fired. Also, I would love to see the liberal Jon Stewart make a similarly insulting joke about Muhammad or Islam... THAT would take true courage in this politically-correct age. Wow, you attack Christianity? What bravery you must have! What a true rebel you are, Jon!

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • DEEZ RELIGIOUS NUTZ BlTCH

Suck on them, BlTCH. Suck on them thoroughly.

May 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • John

no offense, but yer dumb. ain't no one that don't get a send-up on stewart.

May 8, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
  10. Ryder

“I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance," Stewart said.

God, I love Jon Stewart.

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Michael

Of course he and his politically-corrected liberal ilk censor themselves, they just censor what would consider to be insulting to liberals, not to conservatives. Not too difficult to understand, there.

May 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • John

no offense, michael, but yer dumb on this subject. ain't no one stewart don't go after.

May 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
  11. Mr Chihuahua

Delta? I didnt know they were even still in business! Hey Delta, nobody cares about your crappy airplane lol!

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  12. Dale Earnliver

I picture someone in between Bill Donohue's mothers legs and I laugh out loud and yes I am a Christian

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
  13. Al

So the Catholics are upset because Jon made a joke, but they're willing to overlook one of their own reaming some young boy from behind. Amazing. We should show our support by pouring a box of Corn Flakes on the steps of the Catholic church. Don't worry, Kellogg's will make more. The birds will eat it and leave a deposit for the church.

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • David

Al you are as funny as Jon Stewart! Great comment ... exactly what I was thinking. The level of hypocrisy is stunning!

May 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
  14. steve

I am a christen guy and try and follow the teachings of Jesus. The secular left follows the teachings of big government. I am curious if the manger had been replaced with the god of the left, Mr Obama, would there reaction be the same?

May 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Sue

steve, are you even aware that there is also a secular right? I'm part of it, and I think "Christens" (sic) like you are idiots.

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • /sigh

no there would not be steve, people are not as dumb as you and your like. I would of laughed at Obama as much as a manger because it is politcal and not anti-christian.

May 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • Jesus Schwartz

Probably not, but you are a MOR0N

May 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • Janine from TX

Thanks Sue!

May 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  15. Kathy

Delta has a right to pull its ads, and I have a right to not fly Delta. Simple as that.

May 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • somedude

delta's got the right to not care

May 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Sue

Me too.

May 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • MartyinLA

I stopped flying Delta years ago when their service went down the toilet. No I have yet another reason not to fly them. Throw in that they are bible belting bullies, forget about it!

May 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • John

rat own kath!!!!!
      me, too!!!

May 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  16. Barneyjake

Well, when you're a comedian, you have to go for the laugh. Not all are hits, but hey, I still like ol Jon.

May 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  17. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Is the Daily show on comedy central ? ........I think the catholic league is gone conservative and as far as Delta airline is concerned I will never Fly Delta............Jon Stewart is the best and I don't blame him for not apologizing.

May 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Dywlf

Mr. egotisical needs to be fired, I stopped listening to his hate sppech two years ago and have never missed it. I will selectly fly Delta when I fly and Kellogg is off the grocery list.

May 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  18. Wally

Conservative's are Loony Birds and Hypocrites...

May 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Sue

Wally: The religious ones are, anyway. I'm a fiscally conservative atheist, and I think I'm pretty sane. There are probably more like me than some of the religious "conservatives" care to acknowledge, and we are now beginning to wrestle and separate our politics away from them. It has been a long time coming, but it will be done.

May 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  19. Kevin Quail

Hey, Donahue, there's this new thing out called the remote. Give it a try next time. Here's something by Louis CK you might find even more offensive, even though it's hilarious:

May 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  20. fekt

he thinks he can get stewart fired. he's easily deluded. he can get a gutless corporation to pull it's ads, an airliner i'll never use again for the record, but he doesn't have the stroke to get rid of stewart.

May 8, 2012 at 7:14 pm |