home
RSS
My Take: On gay marriage, Obama, Billy Graham, and a tale of 2 Christianities
President Obama cited his Christianity in explaining his support for gay marriage.
May 10th, 2012

My Take: On gay marriage, Obama, Billy Graham, and a tale of 2 Christianities

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

Not so long ago and not so far away, the culture wars stuck to a simple script.

On questions such as abortion, the Republicans would denounce the Democrats for preaching a "secular agenda." The Democrats would denounce the GOP for injecting religion into politics. Then, because the overwhelming majority of Americans believe in God, the Republicans would usually win.

Things today are more confusing, and more interesting.

After John Kerry’s defeat at the hands of George W. Bush in the 2004 presidential election, the Democrats got religion. Nowadays they too present their public policy positions in moral and often biblical terms, describing the question of taxes, for example, as a matter of “fairness” and in some cases quoting from the Gospel of Luke (“Blessed are the poor.”)

Nowhere is this shift more stark than on the gay marriage debate. In a week that saw North Carolinians inject a gay marriage ban into their Constitution, the nation’s most celebrated preacher and the nation's most celebrated politician weighed in—as Christians.

In full-page ads in North Carolina newspapers, Billy Graham said, “The Bible is clear—God’s definition of marriage is between a man and a woman." In an interview yesterday with ABC’s Robin Roberts, President Obama said that when he and the First Lady “think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated.”

Both men ignored facts that did not support their cases. Graham did not mention the many cases of polygamy in the Christian Bible. And Obama ignored the many cases in which homosexuality (particularly male homosexuality) is denounced.

Two things are striking about this debate. The first is that both sides are now conducting it in religious terms. Whereas the GOP in prior culture wars was able to denounce the Democratic Party for pushing a “secular agenda,” now it is in the much more difficult position of claiming (as Rick Santorum did of Obama) that the left is preaching a “phony theology.”

Second, it is striking how closely this debate mirrors the slavery debate in antebellum America. Then, pro-slavery forces read key passages in the Bible in a "commonsense" manner and concluded that God was in favor of slavery. Meanwhile, anti-slavery activists, seeking after the "spirit" rather than the "letter" of the Biblical text, concluded that slavery flew in the face of both "love your neighbor" and the Golden Rule.

As Mark Noll argues in his book America’s God, the fact that the Bible seemed to most "commonsense" readers to support slavery brought on a crisis of authority that helped to produce what we now liberal Protestantism. Many American Christians at the time just knew slavery was wrong, so they learned to read the Bible in a different way.

We may be at a similar inflection point today. If you take a literal approach to the Biblical books and focus only at passages on sexuality, the Bible seems to support Graham. But if you focus on its broader message of love, it casts its vote for Obama.

As with slavery in the nineteenth century, public opinion in the twenty-first century is shifting rapidly on the gay marriage question, and not only among secular types. Billy Graham and other evangelicals who continue to insist that “the Bible is clear” in its opposition to gay marriage would do well to heed the lessons of America's most costly conflagration over race.

As they preach what they see as the "clear" meaning of scripture, they are not only swimming against the tide of history. They are putting their own religious tradition at risk.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Bible • Billy Graham • Christianity • Culture wars • Gay marriage • Homosexuality • Politics • Same-sex marriage • United States

1. raceisamyth

Zeus was never a god. He was a pharoah. He was a man that made people worship him.

May 10, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And you're a boob who somehow has a computer. Whoopee.

May 10, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • raceisamyth

One of Obamas speeches when played backwards talked about the pharoah zeus. Yes we can backwards....says thank you satan. Youtube it. See for yourself. Or download audacity and try it.

May 10, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • raceisamyth

Just because you werent taught backwards speech...doesnt mean it doesnt exsist )

May 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'd rather spend time teaching my cat to play the Moonlight Sonata. It would be less frustrating and more beneficial to mankind.

May 10, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • raceisamyth

You dont seem like you make friends easily. Enjoy your cat.

May 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, I do. She's far more entertaining, intelligent, affectionate, and enjoyable than you'll ever be, you little cretin. Good luck getting that GED, dear.

May 10, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  2. raceisamyth

Haha i just saw a drone fly overhead. NSA must be busy stealing credit card numbers.

May 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Are you sure it wasn't an angel or a god or some other make believe thing in the sky?

May 10, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Eh, no such thing. He probably just farted.

May 10, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
  3. Rebel4Christ

Hey Tom even if my grammar sucks, even if I don't have a lot of education (which I do) It doesn't matter!! I Have Jesus and he is all that I need! I will boast in my weakness because Jesus is there!!! Do you not get that? Nothing else matters to me except Jesus Christ!!! I count everything else as garbage because all that matters is Jesus!!!

May 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You don't have any education. If you did, you'd demonstrate it. You don't. You are an idiot.

May 10, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Then why don't you join him?

May 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm |

@Rebel4Christ

I meant for you to join your jesus, not t

May 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • mickey1313

what a sad existence. Life should be lived, not squandered based on man made mythology

May 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • Rebel4Christ

hey Tom i'm sorry if I have offended you. ya know i probably got a little bitter back there so im sorry. I feel like God wants me to pray for you. I just hope that one day you can see his goodness:)

John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Jesus loves you even though you don't believe in him:)

May 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sweetie, I'm sorry you are so ignorant and so deluded by religious mumbo-jumbo. You can believe in the giant camel that rides not the back of an enormous whale if you wish, dear. I choose to believe in reality.

May 10, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
  4. God

God here,
    Your all a bunch of fa gs.
    P.s. I don't exist.

May 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

I know you don't exist and I am happy because of it!

May 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  5. Chad

UTTER NONSENSE

the bible is clear throughout, love the sinner, hate the sin.

Now, either you knew that and deliberately mischaracterized the bible, OR you were'nt aware of it because you arent familiar with the bible.

so, dishonest, or crappy "religious scholar"

May 10, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Does it hurt when you try to think, Chard?

May 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
  6. A Candid Look

This is not very entertaining at all.... it is a childish display of playground bullying. I wonder how most christians find the time to judge atheists,,, I personally find it to be a full time job to keep me straight with my Lord. Besides it is not my Job to judge anyway... I can talk about my faith at any time ... I refuse to be drawn into this war of words... all spoken by humankind... much the same as you make light of the Bible, and wonder how such an imperfect tool can be used to teach Humankind.. such are the nature of your words.... Humankind wrote them down and humankind are writing these words as well...

May 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

You make no sense. If you don't like what is being posted and you are reading it and then commenting on it then what is your point? I know, you are a moron!

May 10, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • A Candid Look

Like the tag line says ... its a candid look.... Perhaps you should change yours to I don't understand???

May 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm |

A candid look at what?

May 10, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • A Candid Look

Just a suggestion there....

There is certainly nothng reasonable about your rhetoric on this thread...

Perhaps if ou re-read it you might understand that I really don't care about this topic... Its not my job to judge... and that I find all this a fine example of divisive politics....

then you come along and post more divisive and derisve comments ... LOL

May 10, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Well, I am so happy for you that you cannot judge. I can, I have an opinion and think freely.

May 10, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You know, you DO have an alternative, Canny. You can leave.

May 10, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • A Candid Look

The question is why should I leave?

I did not say I did not have an opinion,,,, I do and when posted you object to it... I think freely, else I would not post in reply to you...

I can reason wiht the best of them, I have a different point of view ... which you can't accept... that is not my fault nor the fault of any religous ideas... yet you accuse and blame in every post... It is a very fine example of my original post... thanks for making my point.... oh and I did not call anyone a moron, or question their ability to have an opinion... nor did I suggest that anyone leave... so what have you done then? engage in any conversation or dialog about the topic??? Nah not your style... I have watched these thread for a few years and posted several times... but your rhetoric never changes....

May 10, 2012 at 11:31 pm |

Blah, blah, blah, dear.

Get your act together. If you can't, it's hardly my fault.

May 10, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
  7. Linda

This election will be about voters remembering the social issues of 1. civil discourse and conduct in public 2. remembering singing "black and yellow, red and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world" and realizing what the words meant in comparison to the real world 3. the Weekly Reader in school and tv news back when the family gathered around the tv together for supper seeing blacks being knocked down in the streets by fire hoses 4. Nixon keeping us in Viet Nam and our leaving in disgrace and Nixon leaving office in disgrace 5. veterans returning to ??? 6. the debacle of the 1970's gas lines 7. grandma or great grandma having better quality of life after Medicare 8. prices today 9. undeniable climate change and extreme weather 10. mom & dad or grandma & grandpa were right: things were always better for people with a Democrat as President, a First Lady who wore a cloth coat instead of a fur.

May 10, 2012 at 10:51 pm |

Your point is?

May 10, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Enoch

Similarly, I hate the fact that only women are allowed to be "pregnant". What gives them the right to own such a word. If a man is expecting a child why can't he be pregnant.

And the word "red" – it clearly discriminates against colour blind people. They're born that way don't you know. What gives those of us with full colour vision the right to own the word "red"?

May 10, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Wow! I like where you are going with this! Refreshing!

May 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Bob

Robert Brown, since you persist with your nonsense, and If you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations, and has so many mistakes in it, and is so susceptible to being taken "out of context. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself. Let's look again at what your evil tooth fairy god is demanding according to your book of nasty AKA the bible:

Numbers 31:17-18
    17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

And ssince you keep spewing about your bible, note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes your sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement. Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

May 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

godless and proud of it!

May 10, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Bob,

The short answer to your question is faith and spirit.

Faith comes by hearing the word of God preached in the power of the Holy Spirit. When you have obtained enough faith to be converted you can understand the written word of God because you will receive the Holy Spirit. God is a Spirit so without his spirit you can not understand his written word.

May 10, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

"The short answer to your question is faith and spirit."

faith and spirit, what part of the body do these things reside in? The brain? Of course they do.

May 10, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

LOL I always find that flawed reasoning hilarious. You need to accept what we believe in order to interpret thing correctly to get the evidence for belief. Circular reasoning is just plain funny.

May 10, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • raceisamyth

Yes Spirit comes first. To me it was learning to love people because of their differences and not in spite of. Gods word makes so much sense to me now when I read and meditate.

May 10, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Satan

Robert,
      That's the most retarded thing I have ever heard. Sports do not exist. Just as god, Jesus and any other diety do not exist. No proof is no god.

May 10, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • Satan

That should have read spirits not sports.

May 10, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • raceisamyth

Speaking spanish to a woman, when i dont speak any spanish at all was a huge revelation to me.

May 10, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • Robert Brown

HawaiiGuest,
      If you are speaking in absolutes then, yes, you are correct. If you are absolutely convinced that there is no God, then without his intervention, you have no hope. But if you think there could be a God then you have some faith. If you are interested in obtaining more faith then hearing the word of God preached in the power of his Holy Spirit is a proven method of getting it.

May 10, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • Satan

There is no proven method. Religion is not science. Science is proven fact, religion is wishful thinking. Nothing more nothing less. No god.

May 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Standard apologetics seem to be your specialty. There's no real point in attempting rational discourse, so oh well.

May 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm |

@RobertBrown
      "without his intervention"

You are such an idiot. His? Why not its or her's or theirs ?

May 10, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • raceisamyth

I personally believe God intervened for us all. God knows we were lied to by soros ehhhhhemmm satan. How can you tell a lie without language?

May 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • raceisamyth

He meant God. He said his from a bias perspective. He meant nothing by it.

May 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

When you grow a brain, Porky Pig, alert the media.

May 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • God

Personally I know Zeus is way more powerful than the Christian god. I pray to Zeus every night, I feel his spirit all around. He answers my prayers.

May 10, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • raceisamyth

Tom, say something useful and intelligent. You are only proving your lack of self esteem and falic inadequincies.

May 10, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Raceisamyth,
      I appreciate the good words.

Satan, HawaiiGuest, & Voice of Reason,

Science is a wonderful thing and if you enjoy the study of the subject then I am sure you are as impressed with things like the universe and life itself as I am. At least we have that much in common. The scientific method or rational thought can’t be used to communicate with God because our minds are flesh and are at enmity with God. He tells us that flesh and blood cannot enter his kingdom. If you have any interest in proving God for yourself, you have to approach him the way he said to, not as you calculate you should be able too. If you are interested I would be glad to try and explain more, if not I wish you the very best.

May 10, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ahhh. So if one is possession of a working cerebrum, God is not within reach.

Thanks for confirming that the only beings who can commune with your 'god' are idiots.

May 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
  10. raceisamyth

Hey voice of sh-t....get over yourself Godless man.

May 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oooh, is someone hurtin? Waaaaah boo wahhh!

May 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
  11. raceisamyth

Tom shut for effin mouth. Do you have to attack every comment?

May 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, I don't have to do a thing. You morons do it all on your own.

May 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

You just sinned! You said "effin"!

May 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

'Course some of y'all y'all do more harm to yerselves than I could hope to achieve in a lifetime of ridicule.

Thanks for your contribution to the cause, honey.

May 10, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • raceisamyth

Cussing isnt sinning. Cussing in front of people that dont approve is a sin.

May 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

5 hail mary's 10 candles to light 17 wafers to gag down for that f*ucking word "effin" Lord hear our prayer

May 10, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • raceisamyth

Hey voice of sh-it...it was the spanish inquisition...not the catholic inqusition. Reading comprehension?

May 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Do you really know that little about it? LOL

May 10, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Stupid" doesn't come close to describing you, race. Good luck in the next life; you surely are fuucked. in this one.

May 10, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Look it dude or dudette, whichever you may be, you world is passe (if you don't know what that means it means out of fashion), it has no relevance in our world today. Maybe 2000 years ago, but not today.

May 10, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • raceisamyth

What is this skullduggery you speak of? Tom is engaging in tomfoolery

May 10, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • a person of the Name

Wow, just wow.

May 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • A Candid Look

Simple answer about Tom.... yes he does. He has appinted himself the saviour of mankind.... Hes gonna save us from ourselves with is rapier wit.

May 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Candid look is candid troll is obvious.

May 10, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
  12. Robert Brown

Snow,
    Fred did a very good job of answering your questions. I will try to throw in a couple of thoughts for consideration also. Jesus was all human and the son of God at the same time. He experienced the physical pain of the death of his body as well the separation Fred explained. For those reasons Jesus dreaded what was coming. Just before he was arrested he prayed Luke 22: 41-44, And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

May 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sez you. I don't believe a word of it.

May 10, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

HEY ROBERT BROWN! I GUESS I DIDN'T SAY IT LOUD ENOUGH FOR YOU. GO F*UCK YOURSELF!

May 10, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Bob

Robert Brown, you are just spewing nonsense as usual. Let's look at your claimed "sacrifice" again.

First, how come your 'omnipotent' creature couldn't do all that supposed saving without the loony son sacrifice bit to begin with?

Then, and for that matter, how was it a sacrifice at all, when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time it wants with less than a snap of its fingers? Pretty feeble "god" it is that you've made for yourself there.

May 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Reality

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS:

There is no confusion:

Obama says that he and his wife are practicing Christians. Not so fast!!

Obama "mouths" that he is Christian i.e. believes in gay Gabriel and war-mongering Michael the Archangel and Satan. BO's support of abortion/choice however vitiates has Christianity as he is the leader of the Immoral Majority who are now the largest voting bloc in the country. Immoral Majority you ask??

The 78 million voting "mothers and fathers" of aborted womb babies !!! (2012 -1973 Rowe vs. Wade = 39.

39 x 2 million = 78 million. Abortion rate in the USA as per the CDC is one million/yr.

And the presidential popular vote in 2008? 69,456,897 for pro-abortion/choice BO, 59,934,814 for "pro-life" JM. The population of the Immoral Majority in 2008? ~ 70 million !!!!!!

The real "Obamacare" i.e. getting re-elected on the backs of 39 million aborted womb babies by using the votes of the 78 million voters involved in said abortions.

May 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

HEY REALITY! I HOPE YOU HEAR THIS LOUD AND CLEAR! GO F*UCK YOURSELF!

May 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

IN other words: Blhahahhhall blahblahblahlblah. I hate women and I want them to suffer childbirth against their will even if it endangers their health and their livesI hate women and I want them to suffer childbirth against their will even if it endangers their health and their livesI hate women and I want them to suffer childbirth against their will even if it endangers their health and their livesI hate women and I want them to suffer childbirth against their will even if it endangers their health and their livesI hate women and I want them to suffer childbirth against their will even if it endangers their health and their livesI hate women and I want them to suffer childbirth against their will even if it endangers their health and their lives.

May 10, 2012 at 10:25 pm |

Reality

All kidding aside; you are demented, delusional, demoralizing, detached, derogatory, and all the other negative d words!

May 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Reality

Some apparently did not see the following as noted previously:

Gay marriage? Gay unions? Minor issue!!

Onto the nitty gritty of s-ex, contraception and STD protection in the 21st century;

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS:-–>>>

– from a guy who enjoys intelligent se-x-

Note: Some words hyphenated to defeat an obvious word filter. ...

The Brutal Effects of Stupidity:

: The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill ( 8.7% failure rate) and male con-dom (17.4% failure rate) have led to the large rate of abortions and S-TDs in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or co-ndoms properly and/or use safer methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.- Failure rate statistics provided by the Gut-tmacher Inst-itute. Unfortunately they do not give the statistics for doubling up i.e. using a combination of the Pill and a condom.

Added information before making your next move:

from the CDC-2006

"Se-xually transmitted diseases (STDs) remain a major public health challenge in the United States. While substantial progress has been made in preventing, diagnosing, and treating certain S-TDs in recent years, CDC estimates that approximately 19 million new infections occur each year, almost half of them among young people ages 15 to 24.1 In addition to the physical and psy-ch-ological consequences of S-TDs, these diseases also exact a tremendous economic toll. Direct medical costs as-sociated with STDs in the United States are estimated at up to $14.7 billion annually in 2006 dollars."

And from:

Consumer Reports, January, 2012

"Yes, or-al se-x is se-x, and it can boost cancer risk-

Here's a crucial message for teens (and all se-xually active "post-teeners": Or-al se-x carries many of the same risks as va-ginal se-x, including human papilloma virus, or HPV. And HPV may now be overtaking tobacco as the leading cause of or-al cancers in America in people under age 50.

"Adolescents don’t think or-al se-x is something to worry about," said Bonnie Halpern-Felsher professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. "They view it as a way to have intimacy without having 's-ex.'" (It should be called the Bill Clinton Syndrome !!)

Obviously, political leaders in both parties, Planned Parenthood, parents, the "stupid part of the USA" and the educational system have failed miserably on many fronts.

The most effective forms of contraception, ranked by "Perfect use":

1a. (Abstinence, 0% failure rate)
      1b. (Masturbation, mono or mutual, 0% failure rate)

One-month injectable and Implant (both at 0.05 percent)
      Vasectomy and IUD (Mirena) (both at 0.1 percent)
      The Pill, Three-month injectable, and the Patch (all at 0.3 percent)
      Tubal sterilization (at 0.5 percent)
      IUD (Copper-T) (0.6 percent)
      Periodic abstinence (Post-ovulation) (1.0 percent)
      Periodic abstinence (Symptothermal) and Male condom (both at 2.0 percent)
      Periodic abstinence (Ovulation method) (3.0 percent)

Every other method ranks below these, including Withdrawal (4.0), Female condom (5.0), Diaphragm (6.0), Periodic abstinence (calendar) (9.0), the Sponge (9.0-20.0, depending on whether the woman using it has had a child in the past), Cervical cap (9.0-26.0, with the same caveat as the Sponge), and Spermicides (18.0).

May 11, 2012 at 7:41 am |
  14. mandarax

Weeellll, wasn't that nice?

May 10, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  15. raceisamyth

Alright tom boy. Have fun blogging, be sure to wipe up when your done jerkin your tiny french fry. Shhhocolate moooose! Boy

May 10, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Wow. What a lamb of God you are. Jesus must be SO proud.

May 10, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Are you running scared of the truth?

May 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • raceisamyth

And hawaii, he started the barkfest. i tried to be peaceful.

May 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The baby Jesus is weeping.

May 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm |

racie is a big wuss.

May 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm |

@raceisamyth
      "And hawaii, he started the barkfest. i tried to be peaceful."

Of course, it's always someone else!

May 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm |

He's a p*ssy.

May 10, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@race

Actually you started the barking with your "my opinion is true because I say so" stuff.

May 10, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, well, you know it's not much of a bark, since he's a castrato.

May 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Bob

Robert Brown, you don't even read your own book of horrors AKA the bible very well. Therein it is clearly stated that Jesus said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions, so that means sacrifice is still on. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is. You seem not to.

Let's look again at some of the many horrid instructions from bible god:

Numbers 31:17-18

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes your sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations, and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

May 10, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Robert Brown

No Bob, Jesus said in Matthew 5:17 “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.” He fulfilled the law by becoming the perfect sacrifice for all sin. The debt is paid no more sacrifice. Thank God.

May 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Bob

No, Robert. You fail again there in reading your book of horrors.

Note that the bible is very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes your sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

May 10, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
  17. Reality

Gay marriage? Gay unions? Minor issue!!

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS:-–>>>

– from a guy who enjoys intelligent se-x-

Note: Some words hyphenated to defeat an obvious word filter. ...

The Brutal Effects of Stupidity:

Added information before making your next move:

from the CDC-2006

And from:

Consumer Reports, January, 2012

"Yes, or-al se-x is se-x, and it can boost cancer risk-

The most effective forms of contraception, ranked by "Perfect use":

1a. (Abstinence, 0% failure rate)
    1b. (Masturbation, mono or mutual, 0% failure rate)

One-month injectable and Implant (both at 0.05 percent)
    Vasectomy and IUD (Mirena) (both at 0.1 percent)
    The Pill, Three-month injectable, and the Patch (all at 0.3 percent)
    Tubal sterilization (at 0.5 percent)
    IUD (Copper-T) (0.6 percent)
    Periodic abstinence (Post-ovulation) (1.0 percent)
    Periodic abstinence (Symptothermal) and Male condom (both at 2.0 percent)
    Periodic abstinence (Ovulation method) (3.0 percent)

May 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  18. HawaiiGuest

And what would that prove?

May 10, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • raceisamyth

Nothing other than i love to punch people in the throat. When they ask for it. Tom boy is begging.

May 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Would you punch your kid in the throat or just punch them for being gay?

May 10, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

I'm willing to bet you're a pretty big coward in real life, judging by how much you bark here online.

May 10, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oooh, I'm so skeert of that big ole southern redneck moron. Don't throw me in the briar patch, Massa.

May 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  19. raceisamyth

I warn you. I fight like an Apache. You fight like a limp frenchy

May 10, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Settle down kitty cats, let's get back to reason and logic.

May 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sound much like the Black Knight? "It's just a flesh wound!"

May 10, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • a person of the Name

@ tom tom: "that's your arm on the ground"

May 10, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • a person of the Name

Nii!

May 10, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
  20. raceisamyth

Tom boy, just wanted your french ass to know...you hide behind your keyboard like a pro. I wont insult you...but if you were standing right here...id be glad to show you some cain. Boy.

May 10, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

oooh, I'm a-shakin' in my shoes, Dumb Bunny.

May 10, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • raceisamyth

I know you are. I know you can feel my rage making you sweat. Ever been punched in the throat?

May 10, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

LOL now who's hiding behind a keyboard? You're nice and brave on here race.

May 10, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
    • raceisamyth

Hey id give him my number if the rest of you wouldnt see it.

May 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why are you too scared to post it right here, big man?

May 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm |