home
RSS
My Take: Gays are coming out on TV. Christians are, too
Actor Samuel Larsen, second from left, on "The Glee Project."
May 11th, 2012

My Take: Gays are coming out on TV. Christians are, too

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

The New York Times reports this week that gays and lesbians are now commonplace on hit television shows. But Christians are coming out of the closet and onto our television sets, too.

“Glee” may feature a gay couple (Kurt and Blaine), a lesbian couple (Santana and Brittany), and a transgender character (Unique), but it also includes the God Squad, a group of Christians that meet in school and struggle with the demands of their faith.

On the first season of “The Glee Project,” a reality show that trolls for talent to feature on “Glee,” actor Samuel Larsen won a seven-episode role in part because of a tattoo on his chest quoting from Psalm 18 (“I will love thee O Lord my strength”). Larsen, who also sports long dreadlocks, obviously has that elusive “it” factor, but one reason he won "The Glee Project" was that "Glee" executive producer Ryan Murphy wanted to feature a Christian character on the show.

Larsen’s character, transfer student (and former home schooler) Joe Hart, debuted on the "Heart" episode on Valentine’s Day, and since then he has been the “Christian guy” - aka "Teen Jesus" - at William McKinley High.

In that episode, the God Squad raises money by performing singing telegrams at $10 a pop, but when Santana (Naya Rivera) asks them to sing for her girlfriend Brittany (Heather Morris), Joe balks and a discussion about the Bible and homosexuality ensues.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Mercedes (Amber Riley) calculates that since “one out of every ten people are gay . . . one of the twelve apostles might have been gay.” Sam (Chord Overstreet) observes that “the Bible says it’s an abomination for a man to lay with another man,” prompting Quinn (Dianna Agron) go ask, “Do you know what else the Bible says is an abomination? Eating lobster, planting different crops in the same field, giving somebody a proud look. Not an abomination? Slavery. Jesus never said anything about gay people. That’s a fact.”

I have a different take. I think it’s about time that Christian characters are showing up on television shows. I think it’s great that these characters are portrayed as flesh-and-blood people who struggle with their faith like the young Christians I know who struggle with theirs. And I think it’s amazing that characters on one of the most popular shows on television are actually discussing the Bible!

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

In a more recent episode, called “Dance With Somebody,” Joe gets into another conversation about how to live as a Christian. He has fallen for Quinn while helping her rehabilitate from a car crash, and he’s trying to reconcile what his teenage body says about sex with what the Bible says.

In the boys locker room, Sam tells him to go for it, arguing that you can be a good Christian and a sexual person at the same time. But Joe isn’t so sure he should give in to temptation. And when he hints in a conversation with Quinn that he would give up his Christian faith in order to be her boyfriend, Quinn tells him no. “It’s nice knowing there’s something out there that can’t be lost," she says.

I’m not saying Joe is everybody’s idea of a good Christian. But out there in the real world in actual U.S. high schools there are all sorts of people who fall somewhere between chaste born-again Christians who see holding hands as a gateway drug to illicit sex and frisky secular humanists who spend more time hooking up than doing their homework.

Let's see more of Joe Hart on "Glee," I say, and more of real Christians (and their struggles) on network television.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Entertainment • Homosexuality • Sexuality • Teens • United States

1. kookooman

If you relgious people believe in dinosouars, the bible was clearly written after they and other living animals of that time live on earth. Now you should be able to wake up and not live like narrow minded people 2000 years ago! Those people had no clue about history as we know history today.

May 12, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • edwardo

Xtians trade fact for fantasy. You could tell them the sky was blue, but when they look at it, they still see gray.

May 12, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • yannaes

But the sky is not blue, it only reflects a blue. Good basic science lesson for atheist.

May 12, 2012 at 10:46 am |
    • momoya

That's true of every color, dipsh!t.. That's why your eye sees a particular color--because it absorbs other colors and reflects that color.

May 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
  2. blessedgeek

So the story goes ... There were three persons sitting at the bar in a bar. A Gay Christian, a Nazi Jew and a Zionist Hamas member.

May 12, 2012 at 12:14 am |
  3. Roger

Yep, Christians definitely struggle with reality. They'd have a lot fewer problems if they'd just let go of their fairy tales.

May 12, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Moses

Roger, I will pray for you. The Lord forgives you. God Bless.

May 12, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • LinCA

@Moses

You said, "I will pray for you."
      And we will continue to think for you.

You said, "The Lord forgives you."
      That's a mighty presumptuous assumption.

May 12, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • scoobypoo

Moses,
      I will slaughter a sheep for you and beseech Zeus to forgive you.
      What? You think that's absurd?
      Maybe if Zeus was born from a mortal virgin and was his own father? Maybe if he died and rose from the dead but was always a god? Huh?

May 12, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • yannaes

Roger, that is an interesting take! And you know all Christians, you can make a generalization based on your own experiences? Your generalization is a fairy tale.

May 12, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  4. The Dude

This is great news! When do they start feeding them to the lions? That is the only entertainment value a Christ Cultist has to offer.

May 11, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • Ed Snyder

Why don't you use your real name? You're the coward. Try bashing Muslims with your real name and see how you last chicken boy.

May 12, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • AGuest9

"Ed", most people have careers and families to protect. There are a lot of crazies out there.

May 12, 2012 at 9:16 am |
  5. HARRY

Do you believe in God...what if your wrong........................................................................................have a nice death.

May 11, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • sybaris

Pascals Wager. Look it up.

Fail

May 11, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • The Dude

I for one do not let fear trump logic and reason.

You are a coward, so live like one.

May 11, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • yannaes

If I find there is no God once dead, I have had a blessed life, and lost nothing in the end, but when one crosses over and there is a God, I pity those that did not come back to the Creator.

May 12, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  6. sybaris

Christians "coming out"?

Really?

You're playing THAT card in a country with:

Bibles in every motel room
    God on our money
    Moments of silence (prayer) before public events
    Christian cable networks 24/7
    Radioeveangelists 24/7
    Televangelists 24/7
    Discounts on insurance for being christian
    Churches every 6 blocks in every city over 100,000
    Christian bookstores in every town over 12,000
    Christian billboards along the highway advertising Vacation Brainwashing School (VBS) for your children
    Federally recognized Christian holiday
    Religious organizations are tax free
    75% of the population claims to be Christian
    National day of prayer.........

Saying that you're "coming out" infers there is a fear not to.
    In this country, a christian "coming out"? Please, don't insult those who have legitimate fears.

May 11, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Blue

"implies" not "infers"

May 12, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Discounts on insurance for being Christian"

Ok, never heard that one before. What type of insurance are you speaking of?

May 12, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • sybaris

Mark, look up Guide One insurance company who google "faith based insurance".

May 12, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  7. puhleese

Prothero for goodness sakes can you please stop scaring us with that picture of yours? Even my lil puppy gets scared looking at that picture of you staring.

May 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  8. Matteo

The Declaration of Independence says all men are created equal....endowed by their creator with certain rights........ Does that mean if one does not believe in the creator then one is not endowed with rights...........

May 11, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • Teddy Simpson

That's exactly correct, and they should have to live somewhere other than the US.

May 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
    • Joe

Thats BS, no one has to believe in anyfairy tale to live in the US

May 11, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • mandarax

Actually, "creator" was intentionally used to replace "god" in an original draft, because they specifically did not want to reference religion. Before physics and biology were really understood, "creator" was about as secular a word as they could choose. Look it up.

May 11, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • BennyWho

THEIR creator. The founding fathers chose the word THEIR instead of the THE creator. They did not chose THE creator, they allow all "men" to be endowed by "their" creator.. a rather enlightened perspective... allowing free men to chose who/what they believe their creator is. In any case, it's all-encompassing, because fundamentally it is saying everyone has the same rights. If the creator to one man is Yahweh, so be it. If the creator to another man is the biological process that facilitated the rise and evolution of life on Earth, then the force of nature is what endows men with rights, but the point is that everyone is "created" equal.

May 11, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • mandarax

So, Matteo and Teddy, what that means is that your views are about as un-American as they can be.

May 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • Abraham

Joe, may the angels guide you.

May 12, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • nmmell08

What ever happen to the seperation of church and state that our founding fathers set up with the First Amendment

May 12, 2012 at 2:12 am |
    • darte

my creator is my parents

May 12, 2012 at 10:46 am |
  9. fernace

Cont. 3) Where in the world do evangelicals get the notion that God Sanctioned & Annointed marriage to be between 1 man & 1 woman, over 2000 years ago! That is simply not true according to what I'm reading right now! Polygamy was the Law of man & God, at that time, as was slavery! (It's in the bible, y'all!) My 2 points are, a) that there are haters from both the religious & atheist camp & both arguements are right! There is something to say for religion when it shows up in every civilizations, often w/a similar story! There is also something to say for logic, reasoning, philosophizing! b) Why can't reason & religion join hands? Why can't science & faith do it? Why can't creation & evolution do it? Hmmm...I think they already have, but some want to complain when there's no Reason!!

May 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Rimon

You need to read the bible, because you speak about another book but not the bible.

May 11, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Phillco

So what is the other couple God put on earth to mate with Adam and Eves kids? Oh there wasn't, so you mean Cain and able had to screw their sisters or was it their mom?

May 11, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • orsoitseems

"There is something to say for religion when it shows up in every civilizations, often w/a similar story!"

Religions are corporations who worship nothing but money . . . of course they would show up in every civilization.

May 11, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • Dr. Sweitzer

Everyone knows that gays started aids.

May 12, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • nmmell08

To the Dr. Sorry that is not true. Some dude likely either banged an ape or got exposed to the blood of an ape with AIDS. AIDS is found in chimpanzees as well

May 12, 2012 at 2:14 am |
  10. sonnie3

In praying to the Good Lord, One must end the prayer buy concludeing it with "Not my will, but thine be done" God is a forgiveing God, But you need to have Faith in Him to reap the rewards. I don't believe that a crow crapping on a post and the sun hatched me out. Oh there is a supreme being as the Bible teaches. It also say some will go to heaven to be with the Almighty and the non believers will end up in a real hot place, where there will be weaping and nashing of teeth.
    Take Care And God Bless
    Child of God

May 11, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Huh? "Buy concluding it with... blah, blah, blah"

Try to figure out what is laughable about this post.

May 11, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • mandarax

Try and figure out what's NOT laughable about it.

May 11, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Keyboard Cat

All I hear is, "Blah blah blah, *thump*, blah blah imaginary sky father, blah blah, *thump*."

May 11, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What cracks me up is the "God is a foregiving God."

Why are so many fundiots such illiterate boobs?

May 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
    • JM

I like Jesus' warning against hypocrisy in Matthew 23.

May 11, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Dave A

How do YOU know? you live in a world of wishful thinking!

May 11, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Dr. English

Tom, God forgives your spelling mistakes.

May 12, 2012 at 12:14 am |
  11. fernace

As a christian of just about every protestant denomination, I have read the bible cover to cover, in 2 languages & am reading it again! It's facinating stuff & reminds me alot of Popol Vhu, The Story of Gilgamesh, the Ilead & such works! Right now I'm 1/3rd thru the OT & God is very young, capricious & jealous! He is, infact, stirring up trouble, just to Ride in on a Cloud by Day & Fire by Night to Save the willfull Israelites! Hmmmm....is my only critique as of now! 3 things that facinate me:1) How well does the bible represent recorded historical incidents? I don't think it was written pre-recorded history, so there must be historical data that can be coroborated!2) I compare it to the historical "fables" of early civilizations, because of the suprisingly similar tales! Popol Vhu, the Mayan "creation" story is complete w/the "mudpeople" (Adam was created from clay), the many times their god killed them & started from scratch, including sending a large flood! Cont.

May 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • JEM

It is strange that it isn't more widely read. So many literary allusions are derived from it.

43 But now, this is what the Lord says—
      he who created you, Jacob,
      he who formed you, Israel:
      “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
      I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
      2 When you pass through the waters,
      I will be with you;
      and when you pass through the rivers,
      they will not sweep over you.
      When you walk through the fire,
      you will not be burned;
      the flames will not set you ablaze.
      3 For I am the Lord your God,
      the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
      I give Egypt for your ransom,
      Cush[a] and Seba in your stead.
      4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
      and because I love you,
      I will give people in exchange for you,
      nations in exchange for your life.
      5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
      I will bring your children from the east
      and gather you from the west.
      6 I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’
      and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’
      Bring my sons from afar
      and my daughters from the ends of the earth —
      7 everyone who is called by my name,
      whom I created for my glory,
      whom I formed and made. ”

8 Lead out those who have eyes but are blind,
      who have ears but are deaf.
      9 All the nations gather together
      and the peoples assemble.
      Which of their gods foretold this
      and proclaimed to us the former things?
      Let them bring in their witnesses to prove they were right,
      so that others may hear and say, “It is true.”
      10 “You are my witnesses, ” declares the Lord,
      “and my servant whom I have chosen,
      so that you may know and believe me
      and understand that I am he.
      Before me no god was formed,
      nor will there be one after me.
      11 I, even I, am the Lord,
      and apart from me there is no savior.
      12 I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—
      I, and not some foreign god among you.
      You are my witnesses, ” declares the Lord, “that I am God.
      13 Yes, and from ancient days I am he.
      No one can deliver out of my hand.
      When I act, who can reverse it?”
      ......

May 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • Dr. English

You spelled furnace wrong. God will forgive you.

May 12, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • Vita Veritas

tnmtl. It's a good thing you're not judgemental or phony.

May 12, 2012 at 12:22 am |
  12. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

May 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Steve - Dallas

No it doesn't.

May 11, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • JEM

Do you 2 say the same thing in every article?

May 11, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • Don'tBelieveTheLiesOfReligion

I've proven your comment false by praying fervently for many months that your inane remark will never appear again. I've prayed to every deity I've ever heard of, all to no avail – but you're still posting this nonsense.

May 11, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, Don't, didn't you know? Your prayers don't count! You're not a TRUE CHRISTIAN!!!

May 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • Nathan

This. This is how you debate.

May 11, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • J

Except that it doesn't. But you keep being delusional and thinking that talking to your imaginary friend actually does something, it's a great source of entertainment for many of us.

May 11, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • WV

Do you have proof of either of those things? I didn't think so.

May 11, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • Dave A

Things change WITHOUT prayer. Change is the only reality!

May 11, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Dr. Lecter

Tom and Steve, I'd like to invite you to dinner at my house so we can discuss religion.

May 12, 2012 at 12:19 am |
  13. jknbt

Has anyone be me noticed that the Christian kids on TV are always portrayed as conflicted mask wearing phonies, while the gay characters like Kurt are portrayed as stalwart award winning martyrs? Sounds like the activist humanistic agenda is at work again. Come on writers! The Christian kids in the H.S. I went to were the most genuine people in the whole school. The g ay kids kept their se-xua-lity to themselves. We all knew, but they still kept it to themselves. Come to think of it, everybody kept their se-xua-lity to themselves. Private matters like that should be kept private. Christianity is always a public matter since Jesus does not allow secret converts. You are either openly Christian, or you are not a Christian. No secret converts and closet Christians allowed!

May 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

ever notice how that's a recent change? used to be christians were only portrayed in a positive light, they got away with not being called on their b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t. they finally are - good.

and gays have been portrayed in a negative light for all of TV history until just recently. watch a movie like History of the World (which is hilarious) - but it shows a g.a.y guy as a complete fruity stereotype. it's been either that or out of control pervs. finally gays are being shown how they are - human. i know you hate that. too bad.

May 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Funk, do you have a chip on your shoulder? I have never seen what you are referring to.

May 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • AGuest9

Wow, jknbt, and I was accused to being sheltered in life – back in the 80s. I knew who was who in high school – a parochial school, no less. You also knew which girls would put out and which wouldn't. I'm not sure why this seems to be viewed as a recent phenomenon.

May 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
    • tnmtl

Wow the "Christians" I remember the most from HS were the most judgemental people, yet had the biggest sekeletons in their closets. Sorry, the adolescent Christians I knew were the biggest hypocrites ever.

May 11, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You must have meant HS in high school...

Wonder what it called itself way back then...

May 11, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • jimbo, st. louis mo

In High School as was gay and christian. I got bullied a lot. Now I am gay and atheist. I am much happier now.

May 12, 2012 at 12:08 am |
    • Vita Veritas

tnmtl. It's a good thing you're not judgemental or hypocritical.

May 12, 2012 at 12:24 am |
  14. jknbt

hello readers....

I am getting blocked for some reason. Can somebody reply with the forbidden word list again? apparently I am using something they object to at CNN...

thanks

May 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • LinCA

@jknbt

Here you go.

CNN uses automated censoring that looks for words, or fragments of words, that are considered offensive. My guess is that your post had had a forbidden word in it.

Repeat posts, even those that were previously censored and not displayed, will show a message stating that you posted it before.

The following words or word fragments will get your post censored (list is incomplete):
      arse
      spic
      tit
      twat
      vag
      whore
      wtf

To circumvent the filters you can break up the words by putting an extra character in, like: consti.tution (breaking the oh so naughty "tit").

May 11, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  15. Reality

Beyond TV and onto the nitty-gritty of h-omose-xuality

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS–

"Abrahamics" believe that their god created all of us and of course that includes the g-ay members of the human race. Also, those who have studied ho-mo-se-xuality have determined that there is no choice involved therefore ga-ys are ga-y because god made them that way.

To wit:

o The Royal College of Psy-chiatrists stated in 2007:

“ Despite almost a century of psy-choanalytic and psy-chological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heteros-exual or hom-ose-xual orientation. It would appear that s-exual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of ge-netic factors and the early ut-erine environment. Se-xual orientation is therefore not a choice.[60] "

"Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fe-tal brain develops during the intraut-erine period in the male direction through a direct action of tes-tosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hor-mone surge. In this way, our gender identi-ty (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and s-exual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender ident–ity or s-exual orientation."[8

See also the Philadelphia Inquirer review “Gay Gene, Deconstructed”, 12/12/2011. Said review addresses the following “How do genes associated with ho-mose-xuality avoid being weeded out by Darwinian evolution?”

Of course, those gays who belong to Abrahamic religions are supposed to obey the rules of no adu-ltery or for-nication allowed.

And because of basic biology differences said monogamous ventures should always be called same-s-ex unions not same-s-ex marriages.

From below, on top, backwards, forwards, from this side of the Moon and from the other side too, gay se-xual activity is still mutual masturbation caused by one or more complex se-xual differences. Some differences are visually obvious in for example the complex maleness of DeGeneres, Billy Jean King and Rosie O'Donnell.

Yes, heteros-exuals practice many of the same "moves" but there is never a doubt who is the female and who is the male.

May 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Hey Reality, why don't you check back the last 30 years to read what those organization have said. Then check who was in office (LOL). Seriously, if you want the overall picture, look back before the turn of this century.

May 11, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  16. postedbygeo

J:) C:) was gay. It's in the book. Christianity is from the east and somewhere along the line it got infected with ignorance.

May 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

This is what happens when you munch and watch too much TV.

May 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • AGuest9

Interesting point. A 30 y/o guy goes to a wedding party and takes his mother with him?

May 11, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Cq

The problem is that, if you created the perfect Christian character for TV, such a character would be really boring. The main thing in storytelling of any kind is to have conflict. Where would the perfect Christian character find conflict?

Instead, we have realistic, flawed Christian characters who represent realistic, real-life Christians, who have conflicts in their lives that they have to struggle with. That's why the Prodigal Son is such an effect teaching tool, and also why Jesus never told a parable about the guy who always believed, and never had cause to waiver.

May 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • bendayho

PLease stop with the logic and common sense. This is a strand about religion. People will get upset.

May 11, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hah, bend.

May 11, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Bootyfunk

"Humanists have no specific, defined beliefs so they never risk being called hypocrites. They get to extol their own niceness on the cheap. And they can also afford to slump into moral and mental complacency."

not true. look up humanist websites, they usually have a set of "ethical rules to live by". here's one: http://www.americanhumanist.org/Humanism/What_is_Humanism
    and really, "be a nice guy" is enough. nice guys don't r.ape, murder, steal, lie, destroy the environment, etc. nice guys help people in need. still, i'd have to say it should be more like "be a nice guy and use your brain".

atheists judge people, not just christians, by today's ethical standards: don't be racially prejudice, misogynistic, h.omophobic, etc. christians judge others by 2000 year old ethical standards. humanist ethics are far superior than the morals offered by the bible for leading a good life.

May 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • catholic engineer

Recently, a young woman litigated to get a prayer removed from the wall of a school. The offending prayer had been there for over fifty years. The young woman was awarded a scholarship by a humanist organization, in addition to the legal expenses to sue over the prayer. When there are hungry people everywhere, why are these – er – "humanists" spending money to get little prayers removed from public walls? ( The Christians are probably taking care of the poor).There are kids working like mules to get through school and the humanists are giving scholarships for getting a prayer removed? Turns out maybe the humanists are as hypocritical as the Christians.

May 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Huebert

@ce

The gold in St. Peter's basilica alone could pay to feed millions.

May 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • Primewonk

It wasn't a "little prayer", it was a 4 ft by 9 ft banner. And, if you want to bîtch about the money, why not go after those responsible. The law is abundently clear. The school system knew they didn't have a legal leg to stand on. Yet they refused to follow the law and the constîtution.

May 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • ME II

In case it wasn't clear humanists and atheists are not the same thing, not be a long shot.
      Atheist's sole attribute is a lack of belief in god(s).
      Humanists ascribe to a set of ethical standards that are, I think, secular in origin.

"Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without theism and other supernatural beliefs, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity."

May 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

""humanists" spending money to get little prayers removed from public walls? ( The Christians are probably taking care of the poor)"

i support removing religious bias from public buildings. you are in a cult. why should a religious cult be promoted in the public arena? separation of church and state - look it up. christian prayers come from a book that supports slavery, among other evils. i don't want my kid exposed to that dribble. here's a better question - why can't you hang that banner up at your house? why do you have to shove it down non-christian throats? no one is saying you can't hang that banner up - just not in a public building. you're basically crying because your religion isn't being promoted by the gov't.

and you guys feed the poor so you can feed them your cult brainwashing. there is a price for that bowl of soup - you have to listen to me preach. and your myth that non-belivers don't help the poor is ridiculous. there are numerous humanist and non-believers out there, organizations and individuals. guess what? they don't make anyone listen to a sermon for before they feed them. they do it out of the kindness of their hearts. many christians do as well, but there's always the underlying recruitment motive there too. btw, bill gates, a non-believer, has contributed more to charity than any other human alive. warren buffet is up there too. get your facts straight.

May 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • AGuest9

If it is a public school, then good. I hope she wins the case.

May 11, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

cat engineer, when you manage to actually grow a brain, do alert the media. You're an idiot. Nobody CARES how long a prayer has been displayed, you nincompoop. It DOESN'T MATTER. It is no more important than how long slavery was legal, idiot. Are you REALLY that stupid?

May 11, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • mandarax

Her name is Jessica Alquist, and the Supreme Court agreed with her. The case has been won and will not be appealed.

h ttp://w ww.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/17/prayer-banner-appeal_n_1283846.html

May 11, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Bootyfunk

"Matt Philbin at the Media Research Center cites this episode as an example of the liberal “crusade against faith,” characterizing “Glee” for “attacking the Bible while pushing the gay agenda."

LOL. the bullet proof vest is coming off. christians have been immune from criticisms because everyone knows going to church means you're a good person. what cr@p. christians cry and cry when anyone challenges what it says in the bible as an attack. too bad. if it didn't say all those crazy and hateful things, there wouldn't be anything to criticize. and why should religion be immune from criticism? it says to kill g.a.y.s, non-virgin brides and disobedient children in the bible. disgusting!

May 11, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • Not enough

Here we go again, Old testament. Do we goto church and sacrifice goats when you ate too much at a buffet? No, we do not, folks love to quote Old Testament scriptures just to pick apart Christianity. OK stoning was a part of the law in the old testament and there were things mentioned in the law that allowed folks to be executed. However, when the woman who was caught in Adultery was brought to Jesus, he said to the Pharies to cast the first stone if they were without sin. They couldn't and left. But what has almost always overlooked in this scripture has been that Jesus also told the woman to Sin no more. Forgiveness is there for those who seek it with their whole heart.

May 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

first, why do you think christians don't have to follow the OT? jesus himself said you cannot drop a letter from the old law, that you are still bound. just because there's a NT doesn't mean the OT isn't still vaild. the NT just adds to the OT, it doesn't replace it. funny, i don't hear you saying the OT doesn't count when it comes to the 10 commandments. they are in the OT. i think it's hilarious that christians are so embarrassed by the OT that they want to separate themselves from it.

second, while i agree the OT is worse than the NT, there's plenty in the NT that's just as disgusting. you brought up jesus. jesus supported slavery. that's in the NT. you'd think that god would say something like, "thou shalt not own another human being." instead, the OT and NT both support slavery.

my point is that old testament or new, they are both terrible guides for living a good life.

May 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • matthew2818

Bootyfunk because the OT is about the history of God's covenant with the Hebrew people, their sins against hin, his punish by putting into captivity and his redemptive love for them. That is why in the NEW TESTAMENT, Jesus died and rose for our sins. Read the 4 gospels and Acts to understand the life of Christians today.

May 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • matthew2818

Also, what scripture in the NT says Jesus support slavery?

May 11, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • a person of the Name

The slavery in the Bible is not the slavery as we know it.

May 11, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  20. Robert

So atheist hunter, I'm confused as to why you try to come off as enlightened and wise yet rail against those you disagree with like you're 12. Stereotypes and generalizations are tools of the weak minded and reflect your inability to form a coherent argument. You seem awful threatened by atheism even though it poses no threat to you or anyone else. History proves that it isn't atheism you should fear but rather other religions. Many will cite tyrants who were atheists and their oppression of religion but that was about power, not religion. Live your life Hunter, pray all you like to which ever fantasy makes you feel safe. It's of no consequence to me. I'llonly take issue when you decide (and you will) the I must conform to your beliefs.

May 11, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Huebert

Don't feed the troll.

May 11, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • PrimeNumber

"History proves that it isn't atheism you should fear but rather other religions." Christians have a definite standard that they try to live up to. Atheist humanists judge Christians by that standard, and then call them hypocrites if the Christians don't live up to it. The humanists have no definite standard other than "be a nice guy". Humanists have no specific, defined beliefs so they never risk being called hypocrites. They get to extol their own niceness on the cheap. And they can also afford to slump into moral and mental complacency.

May 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm |