home
RSS
May 22nd, 2012

Video of North Carolina pastor's plan to 'get rid of' gays goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Video of a North Carolina pastor preaching that gays and lesbians should be rounded up inside an electric fence is going viral on the Internet, two weeks after North Carolina passed a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and President Barack Obama voiced personal support for legalizing such marriages.

"I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn't get it past the Congress," Pastor Charles L. Worley can be seen telling his Providence Road Baptist Church congregation in the video, which had more than 250,000 YouTube views by Tuesday.

"Build a great big, large fence - 50 or a 100 miles long - and put all the lesbians in there,” Worley went on to say in his May 13 sermon at his Maiden, North Carolina, church. “Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, and have that fence electrified so they can't get out. Feed them. And you know in a few years, they'll die out. You know why? They can't reproduce."

My Take: The Bible condemns a lot, but here's why we focus on homosexuality

The video had initially been posted on Providence Road’s website but was recently taken down, according to CNN affiliate WBTV-TV in Charlotte.

The phone line at Worley’s church was busy on Monday night and on Tuesday, as was Worley’s home number on Tuesday.

The church’s website was down Tuesday morning, but it had described the house of worship as fundamentalist, meaning it represents a Baptist tradition that's more conservative than the Southern Baptists.

My Take: The Christian case for gay marriage

Worley’s sermon was posted on YouTube by a group called Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate, which is organizing a protest at the Providence Road Baptist Church on Sunday.

Addressing his congregation last Sunday, Worley referred to his earlier controversial sermon.

"I talked a little bit, I believe it was last Sunday, on the homosexual lifestyle, and there was a whole lot of people who didn't like what I said," Worley told his congregation Sunday, according to WBTV. "I want to read it out of the Bible, and then we'll go from there."

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays - I didn't wanna say 'queers' - that say we don't love you, I love you more than you love yourself,” Worley said, according to WBTV. “I'm praying for you to be saved."

Worley’s initial sermon was partly framed as a response to Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage, which he made in a TV interview a day after North Carolina voters passed a state constitutional amendment banning legal recognition of such marriages and other types of gay unions.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, was working Tuesday to gather criticism of Worley’s comments from other North Carolina pastors.

“I am angry and sick at heart over Pastor Worley's comments,” said the Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, pastor at Open Hearts Gathering in Gastonia, North Carolina, in a statement distributed by GLAAD.

“Nothing he says has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Teall-Fleming, who leads a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregation. “I call on all Christian and Baptist organizations that have any connection with him to condemn his comments as strongly as I do, including Providence Road Baptist Church of Maiden.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality • North Carolina

soundoff (5,806 Responses)
  1. heyheyhey

Thats North Carolina for you loud mouthed obnoxiousness. Here is a prime example. 🙂 I for one love the diverse nation I live in. I have no idea why people want all people to be the same as them? What a stale world we would live in.

May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Drew

I don't love that certain areas of our nation appear to be infested with hateful bigots

May 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

no one is advocating that everyone be the same in every way. but i think everyone should want to do away with this sort of hate filled extremism. this guy promotes g.ay bashing. everyone wants a place where civil rights are respected.

May 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Wayne C.

Drew bigotry is both ways or is everything you say good and pure? I'm sure you put down someone in your life time and laughed about it. Isn't that the same? Yeah he was over the top, but some of the stuff people have to deal with in life is over the top at times too. Silencing him is just censoring birth, What next you going to hunt down bloggers that don't agree with you. Or are the politically correct police gonna come knocking on our doors for what we post or say. Freedom of speech is for everyone and if you don't like the message change the channel. I'm sure the church will take care of what the fall out is and move on.

May 22, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • Drew

Wayne, you'll notice I never advocated silencing him. In fact, I am glad that people like him are allowed to air their bigotry so that the rest of us can be aware of it and account for it. Just as he is allowed to say hateful things, we are allowed to criticize him for doing so.
      Also, certainly I've hurt people's feeling before, but I have NEVER spoken hatefully of an entire group of people the way this man has

May 22, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Wayne C.

Hey Booty, Civil rights are man made laws. If someone doesn't like someone we made laws so we can live together. I'm white and grew up in a black neighborhood. Everything was fine with me and my friends until we got about 15 and they notice I was white. That was when I got the s–t kicked out of me by my friends. I went back to that neighborhood many years later to sell my grandmothers house and saw those friend and they treat me with respect as I do them because we are friends. If you have love for your fellow man regardless of color, then you don't need civil rights laws. Unfortunately, not all of us had the opportunity that I had and that is sad, hence they wrote laws to make us get along. Maybe more teaching and less laws, more compassion and less hate will make us grow closer.

May 22, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Drew

With all due respect Wayne, what on earth does that story have to do with the topic at hand? And when you talk about the need for more love, aren't you saying that men like this preacher are the problem?

May 22, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Wayne C.

Men like this preacher is exercising his right to freedom of speech as you say he has. One post I was answering the hateful bigot question you posed and the other was about Civil rights laws. I do not favor this man, nor would I think his problem solving of this is right. My point is that God, whether you believe in Him or not is going to have the last say. That is what I believe and that His government is totally different than what we have here, hence that is why he can love everyone, but if you reject him He will leave you, with much pain because He wants his highest and best for you, but will let you go to your own vices if you reject Him. So with that said, do gays and their friends get into Heaven? If they reject the Lord Jesus Christ, no, plain and simple. Is God sad about this, yes, but He made them and they rejected Him. And like I said the church ill deal with this guy.

May 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  2. Joe Seattle

You, know – there must be some way for CNN to try to get Obama re-elected without resorting to such distorting hyperbole as hyping extremists as if the represent the majority of the oppositional view.

Oh wait. There isn't. Never mind.

May 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Drew

Unfortunately, the hyperbole in representing the GOP with this man is not as great as you'd think

May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

Obama rox!!! 4 more years! woohoo! 🙂

May 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • Ting

I knew some how this was all CNN's fault. Thanks.

May 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • Obvious Guy

CNN actually rigged the 2008 elections. McCain was supposed to win, but CNN stole all the votes, put them in a rocket, and shot them into deep space. And now, Obama is our president. Good investigating Joe Seattle!

May 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • Drew

Sometimes when people live in incredibly liberal areas (like seattle) they are driven to an extreme and thoughtless conservatism. Joe Seattle appears to be one such case

May 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • soadhead

In Joe's world, every article on CNN is propaganda, and every article on FOX news is absolute unbiased truth.

May 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  3. the logical centrist

Okay revrund, I gotta ask you: what would Jesus do? Did He lock up the lepers? or the most hated people of the time: the tax collectors? No pasteur, He went over the tax collector's house for dinner! You're one step away from Hitler dude.

May 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Christian Runner

Right on.

May 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  4. opsmanartie

Is Worley serious? Is he truly advocating the establishment of concentration camps for those he thinks are gay? Is there no one at that church who would hold him accountable for such hate? That denomination?

May 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  5. Grumpy

Just watch. This "pastor" will be outed in a few weeks.

May 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  6. TPN51

I think Providence Road Baptist Church has shut down their web site. Been trying to get on for an hour. I think the whole gay population of NC should attend services at his church next Sunday. Man I'd go and I'm not even gay.

May 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Ting

Great plan.

May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Ting

There is a Facebook page organizing a protest at the church next Sunday.

May 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Ting

May 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  7. A Serpent's Thought

C'mon people of right-mindedness! Call sensually abnormal people what they truly are! Perverts! Why does one have to be politically correct to not call sensual gayness, sodomy, an Act of perversion? Call a sensual pervert a sensual pervert in any action that does not adhere to the naturalnesses of "heteralism"! You "heteralists" who act out in ways of sodomy are giving way to the LGBT crowds who are the viled manifested "pervertionists" of rancid sensualisms! Respect your woman and do not violate her in such abnormal and unnatural reletavisms of the deviant sensual kind!

May 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

could Hell be worse than going on a blind date and Serpent walks through the door?

May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • YeahRight

"Call sensually abnormal people what they truly are! Perverts! Why does one have to be politically correct to not call sensual gayness, sodomy, an Act of perversion? "

LMAO you are so clueless that it's hysterical. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselor Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the National Association of SocialWorkers, together representing more than 480,000 mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus is not something that needs to or can be “cured." Heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Both have been documented in many different cultures and historical eras. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience.

May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • SeilnoigileR

'Rancid Sensualisms'. I love it! What a pile of.......

May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • todd in DC

What in the world are you talking about anyway?

May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • SoCal

Okay, okay...we are still cracking up from your earlier post. Stop gumming the pretzels and the kidding around. This is serious stuff.

May 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • sg

Yeah! "A Serpent's Thought" is right! Anybody who isn't normal is automatically a pervert! Isn't that a nice, civilized view of other people? How progressive!

May 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • GoneButNotForgotten

What you have to understand serpent, is that some of us come here for the full experience of a physical life and some of you come here to test yourselves against the temptation of a physical life. We don't mock you for not taking advantage of all the wonderful physical gifts the god-programmer supplied us in this simulation, so why should you mock us? Although I have to say I think I was a questionable decision to put both groups into the same simulation.

May 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  8. Bootyfunk

guys like this are either closeted g.ay h.omophobes exhibiting self-loathing or a super creepy straight guy that buys underage prost.itutes. hope a candid camera video of this guy comes out showing who he is behind closed doors.

May 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  9. Christian runner

This makes me really sad. This preacher obviously doesn't understand the Christian faith and teachings such as love one another as yourself.

I know all of you love seeing things like this so you can bash on Christianity. It's so unfortunate, but this is how it is in any church, religion, or organization. They are made up of people, who are imperfect by nature. I don't see anything wrong with hating what people do, including hating this man's words and actions in this case. Hating the people though and wishing they be rounded up is NOT Christian and does not represent the Christian faith.

It is not up to you, me, this guy, or anyone to pass judgment like this upon someone for their actions. God himself gave us freedom to choose our actions. Who are we to override God?

We all have fallen short of the glory of God. Because of this, we must love each other and be empathetic. Treating someone you disagree with like this is irresponsible and sickening to me.

PLEAse understand that this is NOT how all Christians are. There are fanatics in every religion. Muslims have their fanatics that go out with a "Jihad" to kill westerners because of our freedoms. Catholics have had their little thing called inquisitions and alter boy issues, Mormons – well they have had a lot of issues, and Christians have their fair share. That doesn't mean fanatics like this speak for Christ, Christians, or faith in God in general.

May 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • SoCal

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

May 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  10. Joe Seattle

Why is this news?

Oh, yeah, CNN wants to paint all Christians with the rhetoric of one nut job. Thanks.

May 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Drew

Don't you think it's important to call attention to the kind of hatred that is sanctioned in our society?

May 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • xeno

I didn't hear any boos from the crowd, any demands to stop talking, so it's not just one.

May 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • GoneButNotForgotten

Because the best disinfectant is sunlight.

May 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  11. Honey Badger Dont Care

People on here are saying that their god is not evil. I can prove them wrong. Read the story about Job and come away thinking that your deity is an all loving god and I’ll drive you to the nearest mental health facility to get you a checkup. Your god betting with the devil that Job couldn’t be turned? Killing off his livestock, children, and servants as part of a game? What kind of a sick f#$K does stuff like that?

Your god is evil, megalomaniacal, and petty.

May 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • lvingdisciple

your ignorance is comical

May 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Wayne C.

Yes, our God is RIGHTEOUS, not evil. God deplores evil and will have nothing to do with it. But He is a righteous God. And the government that He promotes is a monarchy. Study that and you see that it IS God's way or the highway. Any Christian that talks against that needs to read their Bible. God does love all and hates those that reject Him. He say that those that reject Hi are the son of their father the devil. So now the gay question. If God loves them as he does and accept Him as their Lord and Savior, then their response to God is to turn from their wicked ways and draw close to Him. The Book of Revelation and other passages says who is going to be let in Heaven. So if you fall into those categories you will not get into Heaven, period! So most of what I see here suggest that the majority of these people will not be going to Heaven unless they repent and turn whole heartily to God. And don't get mad at me, I'm just quoting the Bible, now it is your move...

May 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • myweightinwords

@Wayne,

"God does love all and hates those that reject Him."

So, which is it? God loves all? Or God hates those that reject him? You can't have it both ways. Pick one.

May 22, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • Wayne C.

Like I said it is God's way or the highway, but you want to make it a choice. In a monarchy there is no choice you do what the King says. If you follow and love Him, he is for you, if you reject Him then He rejects you. I can love someone but if they reject my love, do I still have to be friends with them if they are doing things that I don't agree with. Well God loves those who love Him and hates those who reject Him. Plain and simple. But you want God to love those who love Sin and He cannot do that can he? God is not American politics, He is not a two party system, He is a one and only sovereign God, righteous and true.

May 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • myweightinwords

@Wayne, so your answer is that God hates some folks and loves others?

What about what your God (Jesus) said about loving those who hate you? Are you saying that God expects human beings to be capable of doing that, when he himself is not? And he hates not even just the ones who hate him, but the ones who just believe he doesn't exist?

Doesn't sound like any god I would trust with my mortal life, let alone my immortal soul.

May 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  12. So Wrong

There was a similar speech done in pre-WWII Germany. The most violent element in society is ignorance.

May 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • calitrav

Yep, it happened in Nazi Germany with the Jews. So many Germans and other nations just laughed it off. Americans did to0 at first. Then it was too late. Great book about it – In the Garden of Beasts.

May 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  13. Alex

Wow. Just... wow.
    I can't believe this.
    He's treating gays and lesbians as animals and 'baby killers'.

This man is a horrible human being.

May 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  14. NOTAFRAID21

HOW about people who's in to bestiality if we target them is that hateful.

May 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Drew

yes, actually. They have a problem

May 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Patrick

You don't know the difference between a par a phi1 ia and a $e xu al orientation?

May 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • pdxmum

Last I checked, animals are unable to give consent. Two adults having a relationship hurts no one. If Xtians want so badly to protect marriage and children, maybe they ought to focus their efforts on outlawing divorce between straight, reproducing couples.

May 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • GoneButNotForgotten

Why, are you worried you'll be targeted?

May 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  15. LIberalsSux

Wait! This isn't Catholic! Stop the press! There must be a misprint!

May 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • SoCal

Haha! Great one!

May 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  16. tb63

Shouldn't this guy be chastising straight people for birthing gays and lesbians since we can't procreate ourselves? Just sayin'.

May 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Patrick

No doubt.

May 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • NOTAFRAID21

I'm sorry strait people did not birth gays those people chose to be gay!!!

May 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • If horses had Gods ... their Gods would be horses

NOTAFRAID21 .. When did you choose to be straight or white or male or have thumbs or blue eyes or ... ?

May 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • pdxmum

NOTAFRAID21...you sure seem worked up about all this. Is there anything you'd like to tell us? Something that maybe you really are afraid of?

May 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • sg

NOTAFRAID21: Why the hell would anyone choose to be gay?! Not that there's anything wrong with it. But gays are constantly shunned by society, called perverts, denied equal rights, and bullied by ignorant bigots like you. Why would you choose that?

May 22, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • tb63

And how do you know we choose it? If you aren't one of us, how the hell do you know?

May 22, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  17. Patrick

This guy has only helped to galvanize the American people against his brand of hatred.

May 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  18. David

This is very simple – this "church" needs to lose its tax-exempt status. You are welcome to be a political organization under the guise of a church, but not to avoid taxes at the same time. The law is quite clear on this.

May 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  19. A Serpent's Thought

Some people have written that this preacher's wrods leads to violence. Then, in sameness, watching sensually enticing films does lead to s.e.x.crimes! The rights of individualisms and their emotional devilries are due mostly from their seeing and intermingling vices! Church fellowships rewards people with a sense of calming their doubts and fears of a world seemingly gone astray! If there were no religion, there would be no devil for the weak minded to be scared of thus leading the unbelieving deviant socialists to reign in the terrors and calamities of unlawful social discords!

Culturalized ignorance of religious diversities and in their hated manifestoa by the socially dumb-downed perversions does not make the grade! Yet, as the gradual inclines of societal graphs flatten, the heartbeats become as codified generalizations! Only by creating and/or establishing sentient workouts of culturalized diplomacies may the world be and become a better place! Hate the messages and not the messengers!

May 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
    • Drew

This is actually some of the worst prose I've ever seen. You are an idi0t, sir

May 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

protip:
      when you see a red squiggly line under a word after you type it, it often means the word you just typed - is not a word.

May 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Reply to "Incorrect"

Sir, perhaps on some planet, your incoherent jumble of words spewed directly from your anus makes sense...but here's what you fail to comprehend: THIS is Earth.

May 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Sharon

"This is actually some of the worst prose I've ever seen. You are an idi0t, sir"

No it's called pseudointellectual.

May 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • SoCal

Ahh...c'mon...your just quoting that out of the Taliban's Manuel for Social Etiquette and Success.

May 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  20. Ian Malcolm

Life will find a way ....
    I hate being right all the time!

May 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
About this blog