home
RSS
May 22nd, 2012

Video of North Carolina pastor's plan to 'get rid of' gays goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Video of a North Carolina pastor preaching that gays and lesbians should be rounded up inside an electric fence is going viral on the Internet, two weeks after North Carolina passed a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and President Barack Obama voiced personal support for legalizing such marriages.

"I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn't get it past the Congress," Pastor Charles L. Worley can be seen telling his Providence Road Baptist Church congregation in the video, which had more than 250,000 YouTube views by Tuesday.

"Build a great big, large fence - 50 or a 100 miles long - and put all the lesbians in there,” Worley went on to say in his May 13 sermon at his Maiden, North Carolina, church. “Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, and have that fence electrified so they can't get out. Feed them. And you know in a few years, they'll die out. You know why? They can't reproduce."

My Take: The Bible condemns a lot, but here's why we focus on homosexuality

The video had initially been posted on Providence Road’s website but was recently taken down, according to CNN affiliate WBTV-TV in Charlotte.

The phone line at Worley’s church was busy on Monday night and on Tuesday, as was Worley’s home number on Tuesday.

The church’s website was down Tuesday morning, but it had described the house of worship as fundamentalist, meaning it represents a Baptist tradition that's more conservative than the Southern Baptists.

My Take: The Christian case for gay marriage

Worley’s sermon was posted on YouTube by a group called Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate, which is organizing a protest at the Providence Road Baptist Church on Sunday.

Addressing his congregation last Sunday, Worley referred to his earlier controversial sermon.

"I talked a little bit, I believe it was last Sunday, on the homosexual lifestyle, and there was a whole lot of people who didn't like what I said," Worley told his congregation Sunday, according to WBTV. "I want to read it out of the Bible, and then we'll go from there."

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays - I didn't wanna say 'queers' - that say we don't love you, I love you more than you love yourself,” Worley said, according to WBTV. “I'm praying for you to be saved."

Worley’s initial sermon was partly framed as a response to Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage, which he made in a TV interview a day after North Carolina voters passed a state constitutional amendment banning legal recognition of such marriages and other types of gay unions.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, was working Tuesday to gather criticism of Worley’s comments from other North Carolina pastors.

“I am angry and sick at heart over Pastor Worley's comments,” said the Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, pastor at Open Hearts Gathering in Gastonia, North Carolina, in a statement distributed by GLAAD.

“Nothing he says has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Teall-Fleming, who leads a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregation. “I call on all Christian and Baptist organizations that have any connection with him to condemn his comments as strongly as I do, including Providence Road Baptist Church of Maiden.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality • North Carolina

soundoff (5,806 Responses)
  1. phillybear

A benevolent god would not promote hate and intolerance towards any human being. I do not deny this god's existence, but this god is not one a civilised man would worship.Can someone explain what it truly means to be benevolent or is it left in the hands of false prophets like these who demonize people in the name of their lord?

May 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

There was a time when it was the norm. . .back when the church ruled through governments. They are still trying to get over the fact that in countries like this, the bible isn't supposed to be used to discriminate against people.

May 22, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Charles L. Worley

Both of you are using logic and rational thoughts, BURN

May 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
  2. Charles L. Worley

I miss W

May 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

Hi Mr. Worley. . . I hope you don't mind several hundred. . or thousand protesters showing up at your church this coming Sunday!

May 22, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • Charles L. Worley

Dear DeeCee, much like Bilbo the Hobbit (whom I burned years ago for going against his culture and partaking in adventures) I enjoy visitors. Come one come all!

May 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
  3. HotAirAce

This "man of god" is a perfect example of the evil of religion. The only thing more disgusting than him is the so-called christians defending him. I don't believe in The Babble or the jesus myth but I would like to think that if there is a god, it would swiftly dispatch this crowd to hell.

May 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

You, obviously, were one of the "people" he was referring to about "sick minds"

Site down village i­d­i­o­t

May 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Sorry, only village idiots believe in supernatural beings,The Babble and the hatred spewed from pulpits, so that leaves me out, but you should avoid mirrors...

May 23, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • Charles L. Worley

God, in the form of John Belushi, just informed he likes neither hot air nor dragons. Both of you BURN

May 23, 2012 at 12:10 am |
    • HotAirAce

And, I think you should listen and read for comprehension – the "sick minds" comment was obviously about people who agree with the christian pastor wanting to round up lesbians and gays, and I clearly do not!

May 23, 2012 at 12:14 am |
  4. Reality

Dear Pastor "Not So Bright"/"Red Neck" Worley,

o "Abrahamics" like you believe that their god created all of us and of course that includes the g-ay members of the human race. Also, those who have studied ho-mo-se-xuality have determined that there is no choice involved therefore ga-ys are ga-y because god made them that way.

To wit:

1. The Royal College of Psy-chiatrists stated in 2007:

“ Despite almost a century of psy-choanalytic and psy-chological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heteros-exual or hom-ose-xual orientation. It would appear that s-exual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of ge-netic factors and the early ut-erine environment. Se-xual orientation is therefore not a choice.[60] "

2. "Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fe-tal brain develops during the intraut-erine period in the male direction through a direct action of tes-tosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hor-mone surge. In this way, our gender identi-ty (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and s-exual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender ident–ity or s-exual orientation."[8

3. See also the Philadelphia Inquirer review “Gay Gene, Deconstructed”, 12/12/2011. Said review addresses the following “How do genes associated with ho-mose-xuality avoid being weeded out by Darwinian evolution?”

(Note: some words hyphenated to defeat the moderators "secret" word/fragment filter.)

May 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm |

Dear Reality,

I honestly stopped reading your post after you mentioned my name. I got distracted by my cousin (she's purty) and I felt like you were gonna use a bunch of them quarter words I never learned. If you could shorten your post and not use words bigger than 5 letters I might be able to get through the whole thing.

May 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

Chucky. I know yer not really him. He can't speak English. :p

May 22, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
  5. abcontador

Text book example of why the christian religion does more harm than good - I honestly do wish we could ship every christian in this country to Africa or Siberia.

May 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

Africa would be "too good" for people like him

May 22, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • seebs

Yes, let us get rid of those intolerant people who want to get rid of whole categories of people based on the impressions they've formed of a few.

May 23, 2012 at 12:08 am |
  6. Charles L. Worley

I'm adding CNN to the list of folks to be placed in the "enclosure".

May 22, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • Charles L. Worley

and gum-chewers, and also that guy at the 7-11 last night, he looked at me funny. I think he liked me in a womanly way...

May 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • Charles L. Worley

gonna have to add all foreigners, pretty sure they think too much. Plus, they talk funny.

May 22, 2012 at 11:29 pm |

women too, dam temptresses

May 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

you forgot "bessy" while you're at it

May 22, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • Charles L. Worley

No, as a special gift from god for persecuting the q*****, he is allowing me to keep my best mule Bessy. Bessy is a truly fine specimen, strong, tight...

May 22, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  7. Lynn

If it makes you "gays" mad then you must be doing something wrong. Are you people become a race?

May 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • Just saying

No u idiot, ur mother just reproduce ur race "haters"!

May 22, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • Casey

Lynn – If the pastor said, "Everyone named Lynn is going to H e l l," which would likely make you mad, would that mean you must have been doing something wrong?

May 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • Shawn

{clearing the frog from my voice , excuse me } better now, Madame the poor loud preacher taking on the representation of God said they are a race or made this sound as so at least. Imo ,of course*

May 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Lynn, were you born brain-damaged, or did your mama use you to practice her jump-shot?

May 22, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

hey how about this LYNN.. How about all the Bible T­h­u­m­p­e­rs like yourself go and F­U­C­K­ O­F­F to a corner and D­I­E. We don't want you "kind" here no more. How about that?

May 22, 2012 at 11:48 pm |

Everyone arguing against Lynn, BURN. Lynn, you have poor grammar, BURN

May 23, 2012 at 12:05 am |
  8. Edwin

It's people like this that hasten the day when America embraces gays and lesbians as normal, and allows them to marry freely. This level of hatred repulses decent people, shifting them towards the thing the pastor reviles so much.

May 22, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • citizen9

I have been married dang near 40 years, counting all three of them. I think the suckers should have to endure what I have been thru. 🙂

May 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Charles L. Worley

citizen, the vows of holy matrimony can only be broken by death. BURN

May 23, 2012 at 12:03 am |
  9. chedar888

The next thing this pastor is going to command is congregation, go drink coolaid. That is exactly what Jim Jones did in Guyana. This guy's church is a cult and nothing else.

May 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • Scott F. Feighner

Kool-Aid

May 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Charles L. Worley

Scott, ¢ I never lernt to spel gud before leaving school in the 5th grade, I don't lik upidy spellin korkturs. BURN

May 22, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
  10. Yankee

I hope all the kids out there don't hear this preacher of hate.

I can't wait until this Preacher gets to the "Pearly Gates" and knocks on them and asks God to come in.... hope this Pastor didn't pack any warm clothes with him cause he ain't gonna need them after God has his talk with him.... get in???

May 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
  11. Gottallmächtig

To those claiming "read the bible" as a means to prove a point, that has as much effect as my imploring you to read the teachings of Buddha, or to read the Koran. I'm willing to bet you have read nothing else with a completely open mind or even considered it. Why? Because you were likely indoctrinated into your religion and therefore never had a chance to approach things from a truly clean slate and really, honestly think for yourself. All religion is man-made. As you believe the bible to be written through divine inspiration, so do believers in Islam and a host of other religions.

If you believe that certain things are wrong and against god, that is your choice. Since you believe that way, don't behave that way. You do not have the right to force your beliefs and opinions on anyone else. Even by Christian standards a person's relationship with god is personal. The world will be much better off when religions stop claiming exclusivity on god and stop trying to convert, force their beliefs on others.

May 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm |

too logical, BURN

May 22, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
  12. GAR

C. Worley is another name for the devil.

May 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

Worley is another name for one very scared man. I wish he would come out of his hiding place in his house and talk to news reporters. They actually have the police guarding his house right now, keeping reporters from knocking on his door.

May 22, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • Edwin

I can't support the level of threat he faces now, any more than I can support the level of hate he spewed. As horrible a man as he seems to be, I don't wish terror for him.

May 22, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

Edwin, who brought it on himself. What kind of an idiot would teach an entire group of people that killing minorities is a good thing? Sure it was normal during the hundreds of years of the Inquistions. . . .but that's not the type of country we live in now.

May 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

If anyone of his P­r­a­c­t­i­t­i­o­n­e­rs ever h­u­r­ts anyone who's G­a­y....I hope they c­h­a­r­g­e him too.

May 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • Charles L. Worley

Yes, Chester Worley is another name for the one who speaks with a forked tongue so as to confuse the flock. Fear not, however, for I and I alone have managed to remove his sheep's clothing and have discovered him hiding amongst us in the form of q****s!

May 23, 2012 at 12:01 am |
  13. achepotle

The Chritisnas hate it when their secret sermons are exposed like this...bizarre, crumbling Imperial cult....

May 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • Mike

Don't judge christians based on the actions of so called christians. I challenge you to get a copy of a NIV version of the Bible and read all the words in read in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. You will find nothing but love and compasion from our Lord and Savior. Specifically, please read Matthew 8:5 through 8:13. Also, read Romans 12. I challenge everyone to live as Jesus did. If you do, and if this preacher would heed the teachings of Jesus, those words would not only never be uttered but would never even enter his mind. Shame on him and I pray he quickly learns that he has strayed from the Lord and Savior he is supposed to be representing.

May 22, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • JLS1950

Actually, what we really hate is stupid, ignorant and unstudies "pastors" like this one completely misuse scripture and IGNORE the clear instructions of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Is this feeding the hungry? Is it giving water to the thirsty? Is it clothing the un-clothed? Is this taking in the homeless? Is this visiting and seeing to the needs of the ill or unhealthy? Is this seeking justice for the imprisoned? No, and that means this "pastor" is walking on very unsafe ground! (Matthew 25:31-) Is this teaching all nations and making disciples? Is this baptizing new believers? Is this teaching BELIEVERS to observe the actual commandments of Jesus? (Matthew 28:18-)

Is this loving one another? (John 13:34-35) "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." Is this man REALLY a disciple of JESUS???

Recall this statement of Jesus: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:21-23)

This "pastor" is walking on very slippery ground. But do not tar all Christians with this dirty brush.

May 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • manbearpig

Mike – He's a loving, compassionate God that wants to send me to hell for not believing in him after he opts not to provide any reason to believe in his existence. That is a problem...

May 23, 2012 at 12:07 am |
  14. SciGuy

Why does CNN insist on choosing spokesmen for the Gospel who know nothing about the Gospel?

May 22, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

He was quoting directly from the "bible". Considering how many different denominations there are in Christianity, all interpreting the SAME BOOK in different ways. . . .I'm glad I'm not a part of that cult anymore. . . Christianity is the biggest mess ever conceived by humanity.

May 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • SciGuy

Satan quoted the scripture to Jesus. Quoting scripture doesn't make you a minister of the Gospel.

May 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • Norps

Where are these so pastors you keep asking cnn to showcase? I've never heard of any not condemning gays. Please, let me know ANY pastors not out there preaching this hate. They don't exist. Why join the church if this is all they want to sell? Hatred and condemnations....Who needs it?

May 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
    • Edwin

So many "christians" believe like this guy... so it is appropriate to talk about his sermon. Remember: unlike many other pastors, this one did not advocate physically beating gays.

Simply put: the reason CNN posts things like this is that there are SO MANY out there, illustrating the hatred that so many "christians" feel towards gays and lesbians.

May 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • SciGuy

Norps, anyone who is true to the word of God will in no uncertain terms co.ndemn many types of behavior: stealing, lying, cheating, se.xual immorality, coveting, murder, and many others. God's love does not condone sin; rather it provides for the forgiveness of the sin. When Jesus spoke compassionately to the woman caught in adultery, he nevertheless commanded her to "Go and sin no more."

However, I wasn't referring to the preacher in the pulpit, but the one that Anderson was interviewing. He was an ear-tickler, not a Gospel preacher.

May 22, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

No SciGuy, the man in that interview was a good man, whether Christian or not, he would be considered a good human being. This pastor on the other hand, obviously has mental problems and needs to be medicated for the good of his community.

May 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
  15. Voice of Reason

I bet you this pastor mastur*bates in his pick-up truck.

May 22, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

Probably. . .

May 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • Dorothy

Interestingly enough "mas tur ba tion" was how the greek that is currently being translated as "ho mo se x uality" was originally translated prior to the protestant reformation.

May 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

Dorothy, even some of the words in the OT have been mistranslated. You should have seen the Jewish / Torah scholars scrambling around like Noah before the flood when they made these discoveries a few months ago.

May 22, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • Art Rodriguez

We have our crazy religious zealots and they have theirs. Is there really any difference? Neither group is dealing with reality. They are full of hatred and willing to twist the Bible and Koran teachings to turn their followers into hateful people! I don't see a need for these guys and maybe its best to be an Atheist and just use common sense and our own intelligence to make real world decisions. The more I hear of guys like this the more I fear religion.

May 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  16. Casey

Ben – God does not consider h o m o s e x u a l i ty to be evil. When the Bible is read using reason and the cultural influences are filtered out, as Jesus did, it becomes clear that God does not condemn h o m o s e x u a l i ty.

May 22, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

I'm so glad I don't have the hellish confusion that Christianity does. . . what a mess.

May 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • Kitty

I am a lesbian who lives in Granite Falls NC. I, personally, can not wait to be placed in an electrified fence with all those other lesbians! And since I could stand to lose some weight; I will be glad to stay in there and only eat the food that's dropped over the fence. To sweeten the deal, I will no longer have to work myself half to death in the rehab center to pay my mortgage and car payments! This crazy minister has found the answer to heaven on earth for lebians and gay men!!

May 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • SciGuy

Casey, God cond.emns many things, among them: theft, adultery, mur.der, idolatry, drunkenness, hom.ose.xuality, covetousness, lying. Yes, hom.ose.xuality is on the list. Maybe sad for some that it is, but it is.

May 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • Leo

Explain Sodom and Gomorah for us??

May 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Casey

SciGuy – I respect your opinion, but I disagree. God would not make someone gay and them condemn them for it.

May 22, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • Casey

Leo – The sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was r a p e and inhospitality, not h o m o s e x u a l i ty. Genesis 19:4-5 says that ALL of the townsmen came to r a p e the angels. There is no way that every man in Sodom and Gomorrah was a h o m o s e x u a l. In addition, Genesis 19:8 states that Lot offered the men his daughters in place of the angels. Why would Lot offer his daughters to a group of h o m o s e x u al men? This passage is about r a p e and inhospitality, not h o m o s e x u a l i ty.

In addition, Ezekiel 16:49 (NIV) states, "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

May 22, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

Leo, the bible was written by men in the Bronze and Iron Ages. Stories like "the Garden of Eden", Noah's Ark, and "Sodom and Gomorrah were created to either try and explain things in order to not look stupid and to try and scare the people into doing things that might prevent the tribes from growing. There are actually pillars of salt in a place in Israel. How do you think a person back then would explain the existence of salt pillars out in the wilderness? In order to understand how these stories came to be, you have to study a number of cultures, their myths, and you have to imagine yourself living in a time when people new very little about how the planet, the sun, and the universe work.

May 22, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • Leo

Jude 1:7
      just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

Where do you think the word Sod-omy comes from? Strange flesh is man with man...

May 22, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Every time I think I've seen the depth of stupidity, some idiot comes along to show me I was wrong. Thanks, moron.

May 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • Leo

DC, The difference in the Bible that you can not find in any other book, is that God tells us events before they happen (Prophesy) and then when they are fulfilled exactly as he promised we can rejoice. The Birth and death of Jesus, Israel's rejection and scattering to be gathhered in the last days, the Great Apostasy which you are clearly part of all tell us where we are at.

8Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; 9that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness. II Thessalonians 2:8-12

May 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bwahahhaha. Leo thinks the Bible can foretell the future!

Jeebus Christ in a friggin' bicycle, what an idjit.

May 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • Casey

Leo – Where does it say that the term, "Strange flesh," refers to h o m o s e x u a l i t y? It seems more likely to me that when Jude writes that the men of Sodom and Gomorrah, "Went after strange flesh," he was talking about the men trying to r a p e the angels.

May 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • Leo

Tom, Here is Isaiah 53 written 400 years before Jesus was born!!

Isaiah 53

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Suffering Servant

53 Who has believed our message?

And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?

2 For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot,

And like a root out of parched ground;

He has no stately form or majesty

That we should look upon Him,

Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him.

3 He was despised and forsaken of men,

A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief;

And like one from whom men hide their face

He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.

4 Surely our griefs He Himself bore,

And our sorrows He carried;

Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken,

Smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions,

He was crushed for our iniquities;

The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,

And by His scourging we are healed.

6 All of us like sheep have gone astray,

Each of us has turned to his own way;

But the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all

To fall on Him.

7 He was oppressed and He was afflicted,

Yet He did not open His mouth;

Like a lamb that is led to slaughter,

And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers,

So He did not open His mouth.

8 By oppression and judgment He was taken away;

And as for His generation, who considered

That He was cut off out of the land of the living

For the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke was due?

9 His grave was assigned with wicked men,

Yet He was with a rich man in His death,

Because He had done no violence,

Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.

10 But the Lord was pleased

To crush Him, putting Him to grief;

If He would render Himself as a guilt offering,

He will see His offspring,

He will prolong His days,

And the good pleasure of the Lord will prosper in His hand.

11 As a result of the anguish of His soul,

He will see it and be satisfied;

By His knowledge the Righteous One,

My Servant, will justify the many,

As He will bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore, I will allot Him a portion with the great,

And He will divide the booty with the strong;

Because He poured out Himself to death,

And was numbered with the transgressors;

Yet He Himself bore the sin of many,

And interceded for the transgressors.

May 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Was that supposed to prove something? What?

Really, Leo, you're so lame that if you were a horse, you'd be dogwood by now.

May 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

Leo,
      The Sodom and Gomorrah myth was taken from the common Sumerian creations myths, which all had "fire and brimstone", because there are lime and sulfur deposits in the Jordan Valley, near the Southern shore of the Dead Sea. In Genesis 18, the myth talks about Abraham, giving hospitality to strangers, (who turn out to be "angels"). Genesis 19 is the juxtaposed symmetric myth of INhospitality, to show the opposite example. It has NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING to do with s'ex. Why can't religionists learn about their OWN myth systems ?

May 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

Leo,
      The "suffering servant" was not "prophesy". Second Isaiah developed the concept to assist the people during the Babylonian Exile, as a comforting message FOR THEN. http://www.livius.org/men-mh/messiah/messiah_16a.html
      You have assumed it refers to the "salvation" paradigm, which in fact NEVER existed in Hebrew culture, and was introduced into Christianity by Paul of Tarsus, (St. Paul), when he started your religion, which you call Christianity, but is really Paulianity. "Salvation" did not exist as a concept until late in the 1st Century, until Paul stole the concept from the Greek Mystery cults.

One of the most impressive themes developed by Second Isaiah is that of the suffering servant. There are three poems (Isaiah 42.1-4, 49.1-6, 50.4-11) in which the prophet, who lived in the age of the Babylonian Captivity, describes this pious man, God's 'chosen one' who will bring justice to all nations, who has an 'instructed tongue' and a 'mouth like a sharpened sword', and who has been able to suffer humiliation because he relied on God. So far, there is nothing unusual; the problem is the shocking fourth poem which, in the first and the third part, praises the

May 23, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

the servant, and in the second part describes his suffering.
      It is impossible to identify the servant with a known historical person. However, it is certain that the servant's fate deeply shocked the second Isaiah, who came to the conclusion that a just man had been punished by God for the wickedness of others. This was a completely new idea, which was to become very influential.

May 23, 2012 at 12:10 am |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

Leo,
      A "prophet" is not a "fortune teller", that is Hollywood's version. Mmaybe get a Biblical education.

May 23, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

Leo,
      A "prophet" is not a "fortune teller", that is Hollywood's version. Maybe get a Biblical education. Look up the word.

May 23, 2012 at 12:16 am |
  17. KIRK

are you people so ignorant....so ill versed in the word as to think this has anything at all to do with Christ
    PLEASE!!!!
    all CNN is doing is trying rather badly i might add is saying that immorality is OK and look at this nut case
    look gay lifestyle is a sin and is condemned openly in the word only a pathetic idiot would say otherwise
    second SO WHAT to lie is a sin, to look at a woman with lust is to commit adultery
    this idiot speaker forgets the lesson of Christ and the adulteress that was to be stoned
    and this pathetic excuse for a news org is doing its best to paint all Christians like this
    YOU PEOPLES OUTRIGHT IGNORANCE ASTOUNDS ME
    DO YOU NOT EVEN READ THE WORD OR DO YOU JUST QUOTE THE LIES TOLD BY OTHERS
    come back when you have read the bible

May 22, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • Dorothy

Many of us have done more than read it.....we've studied it......and we know, beyond any reason of a doubt, that God, the Bible, and true Christians cannot and would not condemn gays.

May 22, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Why don't you come back when you are dead!

May 22, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

There are no words.

May 22, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • Casey

Dorothy – Exactly!

May 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • Observer

KIRK,

Most of us have read the Bible. That's how we know that it supports slavery and the inferiority of women and discrimination against the handicapped and never labels child molesting as a sin.

May 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Casey

KIRK – What Dorothy said is exactly right. It is not enough to read the Bible, you need to study it. The Bible was not meant to be read literally. Jesus did not interpret Scripture literally. If he did, he would have stoned the woman caught in adultery and would not have allowed his apostles to pick wheat on the sabbath. Jesus applied Scripture using reason and compassion. Using reason to understand the cultural influences in the Bible is what allows us to differentiate between cultural norms which no longer apply and spiritual truths which do. If we did not use reason when reading and interpreting Scripture, people would still use Scripture to defend slavery.

May 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • Dorothy

Nicely said, Casey. Much more eloquently than I could have!

May 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • Leo

Observer, most of you that claim to have studied really just read the commentary of others that have pointed out "Issues" that give you all a false excuss to reject it.

We have an Old Covenant and a New, The Bible is full of prophesy, hope, love, and judgement for evil. The Hope of the Scriptures is eternal life which is a free gift to those that believe. A loving God that will forgive us of all of our shortcomings.

May 22, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • Leo

Observer, you have claimed many times that God and the Bible somehow does not condem the abuse of Children, which is simply a lie from the pit. You could never have read the Bible and come to that conclussion, for God makes it clear that he will judge evil, and that anyone that hurts children would be better to have a millstone around his neck and be cast into the sea.

May 22, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Observer

Leo,

The Bible is generally good book of morals, but it was written by man and so also contains errors, contradictions, hypocrisy and nonsense.

May 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • Observer

Leo,

"Observer, you have claimed many times that God and the Bible somehow does not condem the abuse of Children, which is simply a lie from the pit"

Still NO ONE word from you quoting the Bible as saying that child molesting is a SIN. You can find quotes condemning gays, so where is this one?

Still no answer from you. Just wishful thinking.

May 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

Your Ignorance doesn't surprise me because people who don't think like you ACTUALLY have a BRAIN.

May 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  18. ThinkAgain

This jerk is advocating building concentration camps to imprison gays and lesbians. I think it's about time we REALLY practiced the separation of church and state and revoked tax-exempt status for these "religious" organizations. I'm tired of subsidizing their hate with my tax dollars – because I'm paying for the infrastructure that allows this bottom-feeding jerk to have a "church."

May 22, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Thinkagainthinkagain

You do realize that you're not subsidizing anything right? Saying that you subsidize a religious organization because they don't pay taxes is like saying you subsidize a stray dog because it doesn't pay taxes.

May 22, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • big hulawood

amen!

May 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • @thinkagainx2

@thinkagainx2. You missed the original poster's point, and your dog analogy doesn't make sense.

May 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

I agree. Time for them to pay the piper.

May 22, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  19. rob

The religious nuts in this country are getting crazier by the day. We need to rid society of this dangerous vermin. I'll never understand why Rethuglican, conservative, right-wing, religious fanatics think they can force other normal people to accept their deviant views and lifestyle. They love to tell other people how to live their lives, while their own lives are in shambles. The Christian (esp. Catholic, Mormon, Evangelical, and Southern Baptist) Taliban in this country are going to face a violent wake up call soon if they keep trying to spread their hatred, intolerant views, and intolerant actions on normal Americans. Anyone coming into contact with Worley, or the other bigots, should take any action possible to harm them, like they harm others. Sure would be a shame if someone burned down that church with that bigot in it.

May 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • sandlover

Good lesson on not spreading hatred

May 22, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

actually@sandlover....it's time to put OUR foot down to this sort of ignorance and hatred. And if that means give them a taste of their own medicine...so be it!

May 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
  20. Casey

Ben – Paul's letter to the Romans needs to be read in context in order to understand what it is really saying. In Romans 1:21-28, Paul talks about people who refused to acknowledge and glorify God (v. 21), the worshipping of idols (v23), people who were more interested in earthly pursuits than spiritual pursuits (v.25), people who gave up their natural, innate passion for the opposite s e x in search of pleasure (v. 26-27), and people who live lives full of covetousness, malice, envy, and hatred of God (v. 29-31).

H o m o s e x u a l i t y is a natural part of human s e x u a l i t y (for verification, check out the APA website). This reference is talking about h e t e r o s e x u a l people who gave up their natural orientation to have s e x with people of the same gender in what Paul calls, "Their search for pleasure." It is not talking about gay people who naturally are attracted to people of the same gender.

May 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • Ben

Isaiah 5:20 – Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! You can't make something the opposite of what it is.

May 22, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Observer

Ben,

You are picking and choosing quotes from a book that you don't believe ALL of.

What is your point? Is there any?

May 22, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • patrick

not to mention that many gay men want relationships with a gay man thus gay marriage1 it seems like the old testiment came out with rules, and then came Jesus, new testiment came out and then there was law alot of years later! i think the lord hasent come back for a while because the times change to fast! but if he came back now he would say, hey man as long as you love somebody! do you agree?

May 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • patrick

ollucero@hotmail.com if you would tell me what you think?

May 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
About this blog