home
RSS
May 22nd, 2012

Video of North Carolina pastor's plan to 'get rid of' gays goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Video of a North Carolina pastor preaching that gays and lesbians should be rounded up inside an electric fence is going viral on the Internet, two weeks after North Carolina passed a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and President Barack Obama voiced personal support for legalizing such marriages.

"I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn't get it past the Congress," Pastor Charles L. Worley can be seen telling his Providence Road Baptist Church congregation in the video, which had more than 250,000 YouTube views by Tuesday.

"Build a great big, large fence - 50 or a 100 miles long - and put all the lesbians in there,” Worley went on to say in his May 13 sermon at his Maiden, North Carolina, church. “Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, and have that fence electrified so they can't get out. Feed them. And you know in a few years, they'll die out. You know why? They can't reproduce."

My Take: The Bible condemns a lot, but here's why we focus on homosexuality

The video had initially been posted on Providence Road’s website but was recently taken down, according to CNN affiliate WBTV-TV in Charlotte.

The phone line at Worley’s church was busy on Monday night and on Tuesday, as was Worley’s home number on Tuesday.

The church’s website was down Tuesday morning, but it had described the house of worship as fundamentalist, meaning it represents a Baptist tradition that's more conservative than the Southern Baptists.

My Take: The Christian case for gay marriage

Worley’s sermon was posted on YouTube by a group called Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate, which is organizing a protest at the Providence Road Baptist Church on Sunday.

Addressing his congregation last Sunday, Worley referred to his earlier controversial sermon.

"I talked a little bit, I believe it was last Sunday, on the homosexual lifestyle, and there was a whole lot of people who didn't like what I said," Worley told his congregation Sunday, according to WBTV. "I want to read it out of the Bible, and then we'll go from there."

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays - I didn't wanna say 'queers' - that say we don't love you, I love you more than you love yourself,” Worley said, according to WBTV. “I'm praying for you to be saved."

Worley’s initial sermon was partly framed as a response to Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage, which he made in a TV interview a day after North Carolina voters passed a state constitutional amendment banning legal recognition of such marriages and other types of gay unions.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, was working Tuesday to gather criticism of Worley’s comments from other North Carolina pastors.

“I am angry and sick at heart over Pastor Worley's comments,” said the Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, pastor at Open Hearts Gathering in Gastonia, North Carolina, in a statement distributed by GLAAD.

“Nothing he says has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Teall-Fleming, who leads a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregation. “I call on all Christian and Baptist organizations that have any connection with him to condemn his comments as strongly as I do, including Providence Road Baptist Church of Maiden.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality • North Carolina

soundoff (5,806 Responses)
  1. The Bible is a book of badly written fairy tales

God needs your money.

May 23, 2012 at 1:04 am |
  2. Hiya Jam

Mail your comments to his home address!
    3912 Williams St Maiden, NC 28650-8452

May 23, 2012 at 1:03 am |
  3. Sam

A good a example why churches are losing followers. Looks like the leadership is the problem not the gays.

May 23, 2012 at 12:54 am |
  4. Kelsang Drime

United States of America...not if the GOP, and other idiots have their way. THIS–the stupidity and hatred preached by this idiot–THIS is what America, the United States of America stands for in the world?! Maybe it's a good thing it will soon be a thing of the past–if they get their way because those who don't agree don't stand up and disagree with them.

May 23, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  5. SimonPure

"I have nothing against the Baptists. I just believe they were not held under long enough"
    –William Cowper Brann

May 23, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Jimmy G.

LOL Love it!

May 23, 2012 at 2:39 am |
  6. Jean

I don't remember seeing any passages in the bible in which his Christ, himself, called for people to be rounded up and confined until death. Instead, he instructed his followers to love. Love God, love your neighbor. Pastors, such as this one, believe this is how one loves one's neighbor. It makes me wonder if he loves God in the same way he loves his neighbor. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those prayers.

May 23, 2012 at 12:39 am |
    • mandarax

As a matter of fact, the Bible doesn't record Jesus even mentioning ho.mose.xuality.

May 23, 2012 at 12:52 am |
  7. Mike P

I wonder how he would feel if someone advocated flying an aircraft into his church during a crowded Sunday Sermon? (like 9/11)

May 23, 2012 at 12:36 am |
  8. Nancy Mays

I want to respond to Pastor Worley's shamefully ignorant sermon with an equally hateful message, but instead, I'll choose to pray ....pray for him, his church and the entire state of North Carolina. I pray that their eyes, minds and hearts open to the beauty and grace found in all of God's creations, straight, gay, black, white. I pray that Pastor Worley use his pulpit to preach love, not hate; to embrace our differences not use them to divide us. I pray that Pastor Worley and his congregation learn to look deep inside each one of us and see the gifts we have to offer, the love we have to share - the future we can build together with loving, open arms.

May 23, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • Earl

"Differences?"..oh is that what we're calling sin these days? lol....I guess Jesus was murdered to cover all the "diifferences" that we committed against Him, right? wow...read your bible please b4 you start insulting what the savior really died for....it's called sin...and being gay is a sin!

May 23, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • Observer

Earl,

Getting divorced and remarried is a sin too. Do you know any friends, relatives or fellow Christians who have done that and so are adulterers? Do you tell them to get divorced and repent? Sure you do.

It's all pick-and-choose hypocrisy. Tell us you support slavery and then you'll have more credibility.

May 23, 2012 at 12:44 am |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

Earl,
      Yeshua ben Josef was executed because he was a threat to the Pax Romana.He overturned the tables of the money changers, in a city where the economy was totally built on the Temple Economy. He was a radical insurrectioist.
      He didn't "die for sin", because that idea never occurred to Jews of the day. It was a Greek idea, which Paul introduced, and the James Community in Jerusalem detested. have you never read Acts ? Sheesh. There was no salvation, no immortal saul, no nuthing. Have you never taken a history course ?

May 23, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • HotAirAce

Earl , there may have been some dude named jesus living in the MiddlecEast a couple of thousand years ago but the probability of him being a god is very, very low, so you are most likely getting worked up for what amounts to a comic book hero of the day. Unless of course you can come with a novel proof for the existence of god and the jesus myth, which has not been done to date.

May 23, 2012 at 12:48 am |
    • Joshua

Observer, If you were to divorce again then it would be another sin would it not? So no, I do not tell them to divorce again. Secondly, when it is infidelity, you may choose to divorce and then remarry.

May 23, 2012 at 1:09 am |
  9. Jay Honeyman

What happened to following the example of Christ? The Christianity that I see in this country does not follow the example of Christ. Christian's in this country seem to act more like the Scribes, Pharisees, and Sadducees. We seem to forget the example of Christ.

May 23, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • Cq

Oh, not all Christians. Most are at least half-way decent and moderate enough not to be so judgmental. It's really too bad that you don't hear their positive opinions more often. Most of what you hear is the kind of stuff this pastor spews.

May 23, 2012 at 12:43 am |
  10. Rich

All people of religion are cowards. They are afraid of dieing. The biggest cowards think by attacking someone different God will welcome them in his arms. Like a dog barking at the mail delivery person.

May 23, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • pimpson

Since you are not afraid of dying why don't you off yourself?

May 23, 2012 at 12:25 am |
    • Kandric

Not being afraid to do something and actually doing it are different. There is no reason to die, so why should he off himself?

May 23, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • Lisa Lisa

No reason to fear death. No Pain. No Conscience. The same state as before you were born.
      That makes this LIFE the ONLY guarantee.
      Cherish it!!

May 23, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • HeavenSent

Rich, Christians are not afraid of dying. That a lie. Christians are concerned that we ALL make it to eternity with Jesus by not getting sidetracked on satan's lies.

If that irks you that we care about where everyone's soul ends up. I'm sure you'll get over it once you understand Jesus' truth about life and the hereafter.

May 23, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Cq

HeavenSent
      But are you afraid of just winking out of existence, as we believe? The idea here is that you all don't see death as really being the end, as we do. You all think it's just the half-time show, but what if you're wrong and you believed and did all this stuff for nothing? That would redefine at least part of your life as being wasted, right?

Worse still. for many conservative Christians, their faith found expression in judging others and, thus, diminishing the happiness and security of those people. If you are wrong then you hurt those people needlessly, right? Some of us aren't willing to do that in the small chance that it will end up paying off for us eventually. We're just not that selfish.

May 23, 2012 at 1:07 am |
  11. AdolphH

What a great idea, but toss the parents in too who created them.

May 23, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • Edwardo

I wish your parents would have believed in abortion!

May 23, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • PDX James

What a pathetic attempt at trolling. Trolling is so simple, too. And you can't even manage an adequate job of that.

May 23, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • AdolphH

Oh no the Nancy's are mad at me. Who cares? You gays are all over TV prancing around in the streets annoying the majority who do not want to see or hear about your kind. Now a couple of hot young lesbians in bikinis we can tolerate.

May 23, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • HotAirAce

AdolphH, why would you include the parents? To punish them, to stop the creation of more gays, or?

May 23, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • Edwardo

AdolphH – your handle suits you well. You are a coward. You're afraid to take on your hetero ilk, you seek out the vulverable for your depraved mentality. I've met your type. Most of you are closet cases. Seeing those of us who can deal with our se xuality, scares you. It makes you wonder what it would be like, if you were true to yourself.

May 23, 2012 at 12:37 am |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

@AdolphH

Ya and F­U­C­K­ YOU TOO. We don't like "your kind" either.

May 23, 2012 at 1:06 am |
  12. just a guy

The stupidity of these people is unreal. Who in the hell does he think gave birth to the gay people he intends on locking up.

BTW, I am an electrician, I can figure out how to get past that fence.

May 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

Looks like the pastor didn't think that through. . . or he's still a denier and believes gay people choose to be gay. He also chooses to ignore the fact that hom o seksuality occurs throughout nature. . . .since he's the type of person who thinks science is evil. So sad to see people who still think the way this pastor thinks.

May 23, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ok, just a guy, the bit about the fence cracked me up.

May 23, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Cq

DeeCee1000
      Yes, he's a perfect example of why Poe's Law is absolutely true; there is no characterization of a Christian that can be outrageous enough not to be believable. Before this video went viral any suggestion that a pastor would actually advocate for concentration camps would have been called a straw man by our regular fundamentalist posters, but ... here we are, aren't we?

May 23, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • Joshua

DeeDee, Gay people do, indeed, choose to be gay.

May 23, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • HotAirAce

Joshua, is that just your ignorant opinion or do you have support for your assertion? Please don't tell us it's The Babble! Apparently you haven't heard that medical experts have clearly stated you are wrong.

May 23, 2012 at 1:21 am |
  13. Shawn

I am choosing to put this HUMAN in the category with the Westbourough Church. They hate everything ,every body and especially the entire gay population of the world . I am sitting here listening to this individual who has taken it upon himself to be the mouth piece for his entire congregation and some in that congregation may be weak enough to actually listen to this type of personalty and get hurt or hurt .Personally I believe that people are born this way , not cursed . They are NOT pedophiles , most work honest jobs ,come from various back grounds and intelligence and actually graduated from MIT YALE, HARVARD,BROWN or STANFORD. They are your dentists , lawyers ,police, fire, grandmother and grandfathers and teachers ,brain surgeons.Some are Christians , Mormons ,Jews and Muslims and they do not plan to be gay ,not a one because in some countries if found , they die in a death that no one wants to have in their nightmares. Some will have to live in that darn dark closet for the rest of their lives to protect themselves or their family. "Gods word" old testament
    Christ new testament ,and everyone does not believe in hell. Why ? because it lives up on that screen in that vlog ,Doesn't Pastore Worley?

May 22, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • Edwardo

Thanks so much for saying this. My partner and I are both college educated. We've been together for 14 years, and adore each other. We go to work every day. We pay our bills, pay taxes, and our house is the nicest one in the neighborhood. We love our families, adopted a homeless doggie, and do lots of volunteer work. We're the most harmless 2 people you could ever meet, I assure you.

May 23, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • Joshua

Yet, a man sleeping with another man as if it was a woman, is still still condemned. In the new testament at that.

I do not believe that gays should be rounded up like animals,nor do I believe this man has the right idea on any topic...except for one. Those sort of acts like I mentioned above are not biblical. Christians need to stop saying that they are. Should we hate gays, though? No, but for Christians to say that it is ok; that is totally wrong. Toleration and Accepting are two different things.

May 23, 2012 at 1:23 am |
    • HotAirAce

Why do people put so much faith in The Babble, a work of fiction written by man that is nothing more than the comic book or Harry Potter book of its day?

May 23, 2012 at 1:39 am |
  14. YBP

Religion has a bunch of people in an intellectual choke-hold. It's their choice. They can simply walk away at anytime. The remedy is simple: education. The more you know on this subject, the more you know about where it came from, the less likely it is that you can possibly believe it, even if you wanted to. That's been my experience.

May 22, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

It's wasn't easy walking away. . .but there is no way I could go back to believing the judeo-christian "bible" is "the word of god" now that I know what I know.

May 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • Edwardo

YBP – Me too! My mom was a Pentecostal preacher thru my childhood. I never saw one miracle... ever! We had a very hard life, and all prayers fell on non existent ears. My mom went thru cancer, watched her husband die in her arms, a life of poverty, kids were pow's in 'nam.. on and on and on. The non believers around us, had a much better life. My mom is now in a nursing home, and doesn't even know who she is.

May 22, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • Observer

Edwardo,

I hope you found this blog to be encouraging. You can count the comments and see how much support you have and how relatively few dimbulb bigots there are. The future looks bright.

May 23, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • Edwardo

Thanks Observer .. My mom pulled away from all of that nonsense, late in my teen years. Once she did that, our lives dramatically improved. It took me years to ever admit to myself I was athiest. I wanted to believe in god, but the evidence just wasn't there. I can't choose what I believe.. If I could, I'd believe there was no cancer. I learned to face reality, head on. And you know, reality isn't near as horrible as I thought. I'm delivered from that cult, but it was a rough ride.

May 23, 2012 at 12:14 am |
  15. chedar888

As long as there are enough gullible idiotic people in america that will believe in talking snake, there will be these snake oil salesmen that will feed them what they want to hear.

May 22, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Edwardo

Yep... most people are taught to hate gays from day 1 of their existence. Every gay person I have ever known... is the most harmless people I have ever known.

May 22, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • Robairdo

@Eduardo, yes most people are taught to hate gays from the first days in church. Gays are much more harmless then the bigots that hate them.

May 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

so true

May 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Joshua

It is sad to say but mostly true.

May 23, 2012 at 1:26 am |
  16. cover up

They are just covering up for all of the bankster scandals.

May 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

********YAWN*************

May 22, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
  17. beachbuminthebigcity

Individuals like this are religion's own worst enemy...

May 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

sad to think these types of people RUN their show.

May 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
  18. Edwardo

I know that most Christians believe that God is a good and loving god, and wants people to do good things. I believe that most people want to do good things and behave morally. I also believe that many Christians haven’t really read the Bible, or just read certain passages in church. This is understandable, as the Bible is hard to read due to its archaic language and obscure references. Also many priests and preachers don’t like to read certain passages in the Bible because they present a message of hate not love.

May 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • Robairdo

Sounds like this preacher and you are reading all the hate passages.

May 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

Edwordo, I agree on people wanting to do good. . .and its unfortunate that most of the division, bigotry, discrimination and hatred in the world has come from religions.

May 22, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • Cq

For all their claims to be able to read the Bible for themselves they almost all depend either on their pastor, or some book they got from the Christian bookstore to give them their meanings for scripture, and then they laugh at hoe Catholics depend on papal authority.

May 23, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Reading their posts would lead most to conclude they couldn't read "Dick and Jane" without moving their lips.

May 23, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • Cq

Tom
      They would probably have them both figured as gay. Dick they'd put behind the fence, but they're perverted enough to watch Jane get it on with Sally, or even Spot. 🙂

May 23, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

;), Cq.

May 23, 2012 at 12:18 am |
    • HeavenSent

Edwardo, read Romans 11:36 and Hebrews 2:10.

Amen.

May 23, 2012 at 12:51 am |
    • Joshua

@Cq, Because papal authority is stupid! There is no man on this earth that can nor should be called holy. No man that can name people saints.

Plus, with your logic, we should have listened to papal authority all during the Dark Ages and the church years in the latter part of the first thousand years and the 1000's. Oh yeah the times with the many persecutions of the church because the papal authority is so holy.

The papacy is nothing more than a fabricated lie in my opinion.

May 23, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • Cq

Joshua
      Aren't we experiencing our own "dark ages" with the war against science and series of persecutions against gays, Muslims, atheists, and basically everyone who isn't conservative Christian here in the USA, all due to protestants serving as their own scriptural authority? How is Prosperity Gospel and the entire Rapture theology any stupider than anything that the RCC has ever come up with?

May 23, 2012 at 8:27 am |
  19. the ultimate truth

Jesus , mahoma and abraham were gays, you have to read between lines in their holly books. amen

May 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • DeeCee1000

That's funny. Many of the Greek and Roman gods were gay or bi-seksual too.

May 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Cq

DeeCee1000
      Not Zeus, he definitely liked the ladies. Left tons of little half-gods all over the Mediterranean too. Hmmm... I wonder if he'd ever made it over to Israel?

May 23, 2012 at 12:20 am |
  20. Sam Yaza

....i remember when pat Robinson said something like this about Pagans and atheist although he thought about using a natural disaster to lure them to the camps....FEMA any one

May 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
About this blog