home
RSS
May 22nd, 2012

Video of North Carolina pastor's plan to 'get rid of' gays goes viral

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Video of a North Carolina pastor preaching that gays and lesbians should be rounded up inside an electric fence is going viral on the Internet, two weeks after North Carolina passed a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage and President Barack Obama voiced personal support for legalizing such marriages.

"I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn't get it past the Congress," Pastor Charles L. Worley can be seen telling his Providence Road Baptist Church congregation in the video, which had more than 250,000 YouTube views by Tuesday.

"Build a great big, large fence - 50 or a 100 miles long - and put all the lesbians in there,” Worley went on to say in his May 13 sermon at his Maiden, North Carolina, church. “Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, and have that fence electrified so they can't get out. Feed them. And you know in a few years, they'll die out. You know why? They can't reproduce."

My Take: The Bible condemns a lot, but here's why we focus on homosexuality

The video had initially been posted on Providence Road’s website but was recently taken down, according to CNN affiliate WBTV-TV in Charlotte.

The phone line at Worley’s church was busy on Monday night and on Tuesday, as was Worley’s home number on Tuesday.

The church’s website was down Tuesday morning, but it had described the house of worship as fundamentalist, meaning it represents a Baptist tradition that's more conservative than the Southern Baptists.

My Take: The Christian case for gay marriage

Worley’s sermon was posted on YouTube by a group called Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate, which is organizing a protest at the Providence Road Baptist Church on Sunday.

Addressing his congregation last Sunday, Worley referred to his earlier controversial sermon.

"I talked a little bit, I believe it was last Sunday, on the homosexual lifestyle, and there was a whole lot of people who didn't like what I said," Worley told his congregation Sunday, according to WBTV. "I want to read it out of the Bible, and then we'll go from there."

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays - I didn't wanna say 'queers' - that say we don't love you, I love you more than you love yourself,” Worley said, according to WBTV. “I'm praying for you to be saved."

Worley’s initial sermon was partly framed as a response to Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage, which he made in a TV interview a day after North Carolina voters passed a state constitutional amendment banning legal recognition of such marriages and other types of gay unions.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, was working Tuesday to gather criticism of Worley’s comments from other North Carolina pastors.

“I am angry and sick at heart over Pastor Worley's comments,” said the Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, pastor at Open Hearts Gathering in Gastonia, North Carolina, in a statement distributed by GLAAD.

“Nothing he says has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Teall-Fleming, who leads a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) congregation. “I call on all Christian and Baptist organizations that have any connection with him to condemn his comments as strongly as I do, including Providence Road Baptist Church of Maiden.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality • North Carolina

soundoff (5,806 Responses)
  1. parvo00

Idiot can barely string a coherent sentence together. People actually pay attention to this crap?

May 23, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  2. GOP Hate America

and these are the ones that get tax breaks?

May 23, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  3. Dmac

“I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.” – Gandhi

May 23, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • John

My Christ is his Christ as well as yours and mine. Only One who is the Way!

May 23, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • Dmac

John – you make my point for me.

May 23, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • sam stone

Why would anyone want to go to heaven?

May 23, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • John

Dmac...And yours mine for Christ said He is the only Way. Even Gandhi read that!

May 23, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • John

I'm sure if Gandhi read the Word and knew Christ, he would have read John 14:6: "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

May 23, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • Dmac

John – if you think Gandhi believed that Christ was the only "One" worth following and was the only "Way", then you 1) have a very poor understanding of Gandhi and other religions, and 2) continue to make my (and his) point that Christians are often close-minded and assume moral superiority which hypocritically leads to an inability to practice acceptance and compassion.

May 23, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • John

sam stone....You don't want the other alternative!

May 23, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • JM

sam stone

re: Why would anyone want to go to heaven?

Because there won't be any death, sorrow, hate, anger, rudeness, depression, evil there...only love, joy, peace and gladness. People like this guy do not represent Christ's teaching.

Heaven will be only good things (beyond compare).

I'm thinking Hawaii x 10000000000000.

May 23, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • John

Dmac..You said he liked my Christ. If he did not like His words, then he denies Him and does not love Him let alone like Him. There is only One.

May 23, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • John

JM...Amen!

May 23, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Dmac

John – Listen to yourself. You sound exactly like the kind of blind, sheep-like, fanatical follower that Ghandi was referring to. You, as a Christian, claim to know Christ so well that you deny that Ghandi could have liked his teachings. That is not a message of compassion or acceptance. It is a message of moral superiority and exclusion. Which is the opposite of what Christ taught.

I think Ghandi had a better understanding of Christ than you do.

May 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Primewonk

Hmmmm. Getting to go to heaven with cretins like the ones in those pews, who sat there and did nothing while this bigot preached hate?

Trapped forever with these fundiots? Sure, the first trillion years or so will go by quickly, but what about the next quadrillion years?

May 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  4. Shabbadedabba

read Romans 2 and tell me what you think about this Pastor-

Do not judge

May 23, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • John

Read all of it to be in proper context not jiust the few words you posted.

May 23, 2012 at 11:26 am |
  5. JM

Why would anyone be attracted to Christianity if its representatives preached hatred and superiority?

What I find astonishing is that Jesus condemned behavior like this. He calls himself the good shepherd who comes to save the lost. He describes God as a father who welcomes his prodigal son (all of his prodigal sons/daughters, which would be all of us). It's Good News because it is all about love, love, love...and mercy. And, yet, we, the church act just like the jerk Pharisees (the only people Jesus condemned).

It's sad and pathetic.

Who do we keep hating one another?

May 23, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • JM

"Why"

May 23, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • rjinx

Well said

May 23, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • kenny

as humans our instinct to survive supersedes all others, we like to think we are civilized but we are just animals.... so when we encounter something we don't understand we FEAR it because maybe it can threaten our suvival but we don't know so theres fear... then we get angry, the next step in the natural progression of not being able to figure something out that others have.... and finally we hate it, giving up trying to understand and we become the DARK SIDE.... which then results in the suffering of those we HATE... Yoda was very old and wise... LOL... sadly this simple lesson is lost on soooo many people...

May 23, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  6. Dmac

Dear Lord, please save us from your followers.

May 23, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • John

You pray to someone that you don't believe in if you reject His words and follow another??!!!

May 23, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Dmac

John – it's called sarcasm. The problem I have is with organized religion and the pressures it brings to stop thinking for one's self.

And actually I don't pray as I am doubtful there is a God, especially a Christian God.

May 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  7. bibi

There is no difference between what this preacher says and what many have said on the forums about religion and Christianity/Christians. How many times have a read on CNN forums that the world would be better off without religion or that the Bible and its believers are this or that? Both sides are wrong. The preacher is talking about sin, but in the process loses all credibility because he himself sins with his unkind, and unloving words. Those who spew hatred and disgust in the preacher's and his congregation's direction are also unkind, unloving and hateful.

Christ says that we must love our enemies. How many of us can actually make an honest claim to that concept?

May 23, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • Voice of Reason

bibi, with all due respect, there was no god, there is no god and there never will be a god.

May 23, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • Mimi

I agree bibi. And Reason, your beliefs are your own so don't force your beliefs on others. It only serves to make you look like an idiot. I honestly just think that everyone has their own beliefs and that other people with different beliefs should just not comment on them. I may not believe in god but I respect the beliefs of others. Reason, try to act like a decent human being.

May 23, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • Voice of Reason

@Mimi

The last time I checked this is an "opinion forum" on belief, right? I can say anything I like as well as you. What righteous pious BS drooling from your mouth. You're an idiot!

May 23, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Jen

I don't believe in Christ so I'm not trying to be like him. Saying this man is an evil, disgusting human being is not being hateful anyway; it's just pointing out facts. Do you have love for Hitler too?

May 23, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • John

Amen! You see what I see. I will admonish my fellow brethren for such speech as we are called to do. However, many who post here are speaking in a unloving manner just like the pastor. Let His love shine for all to see!

May 23, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  8. Laura

You know who else advocated rounding up groups of people and killing them? Hitler and the nazis. This is how it begins and unless people like this are publically denounced and driven from their seats of power and influence, this far right wing segment of our society will continue to grow and feed off of the ignorance of the people that sit in their pews every week.

"First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out – because I was not a communist;
    Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out – because I was not a socialist;
    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out – because I was not a trade unionist;
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out – because I was not a Jew;
    Then they came for me – and there was no one left to speak out for me." Martin Niemoller

May 23, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • JM

We learn from our mistakes (from history and from people like this).

May 23, 2012 at 11:20 am |
  9. Boytjie

Concentration camps have always worked out so well.

May 23, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  10. Crownless

Christians being ignorant, intolerant, and borderline violent? Shocking.

May 23, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  11. nightsun2k7

LOL...."agin it"

May 23, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  12. Anthony Quatroni

We need to get rid of bigoted "pastors" like yourself before we can go on to anything else.

May 23, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  13. snicklefrits

future civilizations will study our society after it crumbles, and our policy shaping, thought controlling religious views will be lumped into the same category as the ancient greek myths, norse gods, and native american shamanism. and if human nature remains the same we will be observing them from a position of contempt at their misguided beliefs while at the same time praying to whatever deity happens to be socially relevant at the time lol humans amaze me.

May 23, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • mandarax

Way to see the big picture! I couldn't agree more.

May 23, 2012 at 11:20 am |
  14. Emily

Everyone here who is condoning or defending this man should be ashamed. The only thing he has to offer is a misguided and misplaced hatred. Religious leaders spend too much time trying to control other's actions rather than guiding others to live in peace with one another. As long as they are not hurting you, or interfering in the way you want to live your life, why do you have to spend so much time hating and suppressing them? There is nothing noble in the way these religious people conduct themselves, no matter how noble a status that they possess nor how noble a cause like Christianity that they hide behind.

May 23, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  15. Jonathan and David

Dear Pastor Charles L. Worley;
    I'm sorry to tell you but the Lord God almighty disagrees with you:

Thus says the Lord: “Keep justice, and do righteousness, for soon my salvation will come, and my deliverance be revealed. 2 Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath, not profaning it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil.” 3 Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say, “The Lord will surely separate me from his people”; and let not the eunuch say, “Behold, I am a dry tree.” 4 For thus says the Lord: “To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, 5 I will give in my house and within my walls a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off. 6 “And the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord, to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast my covenant— 7 these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.”
    Isaiah 56: 1-7

May 23, 2012 at 11:04 am |
  16. kendallpeak

Actually, the real joke of a "minister" is this second guy who says the real message of the bible is to say everything is ok to do as long as we accept each other. True Christian love means directing your brother away from a destructive immoral lifestyle.

May 23, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • D

Well, since "teh gay" isn't a "lifestyle", I see that you have no argument to stand on. Thank you, drive thru!

May 23, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • mandarax

Please clarify exactly what is "destructive" about it, why it is "immoral" and why it is a "lifestyle." Please explain these logically, without resorting to mindless scripture quoting.

May 23, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • JE

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

May 23, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • WOW

Gay is a feeling and a lifestyle choice! You FAILED>

May 23, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • mandarax

WOW, perhaps you don't understand what is meant by clarification, explanation, or logic. Other than that you did manage to type in some words. Good for you!

May 23, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Voice of Reason

@WOW

Actually WOW, your parents failed when they procreated.

May 23, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Madtown

WOW
      Gay is a feeling and a lifestyle choice!
      ------
      Says who?

May 23, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • Cq

kendallpeak
      Most here seem to agree that being gay isn't a destructive immoral lifestyle, but being a mean bigot is.

May 23, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • WOW

@mad: Prove it isn't!

May 23, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • sam stone

You have no authority to preach on morality, kendoll

May 23, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • Madtown

WOW
      @mad: Prove it isn't!
      ---
      Troll. You don't "prove" a negative. People, stop feeding this obvious troll. I'm done, please follow along.

May 23, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Erik

"Gay is a feeling and a lifestyle choice! You FAILED"

All major medical professional organizations concur that sexual orientation is not a choice and cannot be changed, from gay to straight or otherwise. The American, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, and European Psychological, Psychiatric, and Medical Associations all agree with this, as does the World Health Organization and the medical organizations of Japan, China, and most recently, Thailand. Furthermore, attempts to change one's sexual orientation can be psychologically damaging, and cause great inner turmoil and depression, especially for Christian gays and lesbians.

The scientific evidence of the innateness of homosexuality, bisexuality, and transgenderism is overwhelming, and more peer-reviewed studies which bolster this fact are being added all the time. Science has long regarded sexual orientation – and that's all sexual orientations, including heterosexuality – as a phenotype. Simply put, a phenotype is an observable set of properties that varies among individuals and is deeply rooted in biology. For the scientific community, the role of genetics in sexuality is about as "disputable" as the role of evolution in biology.

On the second point, that there is no conclusion that there is a "gay gene," they are right. No so-called gay gene has been found, and it's highly unlikely that one ever will. This is where conservative Christians and Muslims quickly say "See, I told you so! There's no gay gene, so being gay is a choice!"

Many of these reparative "therapists" are basing this concept on a random Bible verse or two. When you hold those up against the mountain of scientific research that has been conducted, peer-reviewed, and then peer-reviewed again, it absolutely holds no water. A person's sexuality – whether heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual – is a very deep biological piece of who that person is as an individual.

The fact that a so-called "gay gene" has not been discovered does not mean that homosexuality is not genetic in its causation. This is understandably something that can seem a bit strange to those who have not been educated in fields of science and advanced biology, and it is also why people who are not scientists ought not try to explain the processes in simple black-and-white terms. There is no gay gene, but there is also no "height gene" or "skin tone gene" or "left-handed gene." These, like sexuality, have a heritable aspect, but no one dominant gene is responsible for them.

Many genes, working in sync, contribute to the phenotype and therefore do have a role in sexual orientation. In many animal model systems, for example, the precise genes involved in sexual partner selection have been identified, and their neuro-biochemical pathways have been worked out in great detail. A great number of these mechanisms have been preserved evolutionarily in humans, just as they are for every other behavioral trait we know (including heterosexuality).

There are many biologic traits which are not specifically genetic but are biologic nonetheless. These traits are rooted in hormonal influences, contributed especially during the early stages of fetal development. This too is indisputable and based on extensive peer-reviewed research the world over. Such prenatal hormonal influences are not genetic per se, but are inborn, natural, and biologic nevertheless.

May 23, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  17. matt

CNN can't wait to post videos such as these when they surface. These evangelical boneheads(Baptists) are but a small sect of Christianity, and they don't represent the views of Christians or what Christ came to do and teach. As a Christian, I am emberassed to be lumped in the same category as idiots like these. To me, Baptists like this moron are just like the radical terrorist groups, who give a bad name to Islam.

May 23, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • mandarax

I beg to differ. Evangelical Christians like this are a huge demographic in our country. Look at the numbers sometime – it's frightening.

May 23, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Voice of Reason

How in the world gave we give christianity a good name? Be real.

May 23, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • Frank

Relax Jesus boy, we all know that all people who call themselves Christians aren't like this turd.

May 23, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • WOW

You should go check out all the video's of the gay community preaching hate toward Christians. Funny how that works huh?

May 23, 2012 at 11:04 am |

Voice of Reason
      How in the world gave we give christianity a good name? Be real.

Should have posted: How in the world can we give christianity a good name? Be real.

May 23, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • Jonathan and David

@WOW: really....name some of the videos where you can see Gay people preaching hatred towards christians. That is a lie.

May 23, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • matt

You got me there. I should be more careful. I was just fired up. Not all Evangelicals are hateful and judgmental. I guess what I meant to say is that this particular Pastor,and groups like Westboro Baptists are equivalent to radical Islam groups. BUt I do agree with you, Evangelical boneheads do make up a greater part of the Christian demographic.

May 23, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Cherries

CNN runs these articles because they know they are going to generate a lot of interest. The more views per article, the more they can sell ad space on the side of the screen. Its good business.

May 23, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Cq

matt
      If you're upset with CNN's coverage of this why not invite them to cover your church doing something really positive, and non-controversial? I've seen lots of stories of churches doing really neat things on CNN.

May 23, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Primewonk

" These evangelical boneheads(Baptists) are but a small sect of Christianity, and they don't represent the views of Christians"

Amendemnt 1 won in N.C. with 61% of the vote. Not exactly a small sect.

In Mississippi (where 55% are Baptists), half of all republicans say that interracial marriage should be illegal, and 88% od republicans said Obama is not a Christian.

Apparently, and sadly, you are wrong.

May 23, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
  18. Texasboy48

Evolution is a process. Intellectually, there will be evidence of the coexistence of several subsets of the same species inhabiting the same place at the same time. Eventually, the weaker of the subsets will die off. Guess which subset this idiot belongs to.

May 23, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • Voice of Reason

Natural selection is god.

May 23, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • WOW

Evolution = JOKE. @Tboy (T must stand for tiny mind) You think we can from MUD??? Tell my Tboy, where did we come from?

May 23, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • Voice of Reason

@WOW

WOW = a stupid, ignorant, bigot, fear-infested, moron! The year is 2012 and science and medicine should be your god.

May 23, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • mandarax

WOW, thanks for confirming your absolute ignorance of modern concepts. It was already evident, but this just puts it in sharper focus.

May 23, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • sam

I see today's idiot troll has decided to identify himself as 'WOW'.

May 23, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • Texasboy48

WOW- you misuderstand. I, too, believe that the universe was created 6,000 years ago by an invisible man in the sky who grants wishes. Glad we were able to clear that up.

May 23, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • WOW

LOL!!! None of you answered the question. If you all believe in evolution then where did humans come from? The MUD??? LOL Evolution still equals JOKE. I don't know why anyone would care about rainbows and unicorns such as the gay community thinking they will not have people hate them LOL.

May 23, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@wow
      Doesn't your mythology say men were fashioned from clay and dirt while woman spring forth from a rib?

May 23, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Primewonk

Survival of the fittest is a misnomer. In reality, evolution boils down to being able to survive just a scoosh better living long enough to pass on your genetic material to fertile offspring.

There is no survival advantage anymore for being "smarter" than the folks over the next hill. In fact, today, "smarter" folks breed less than îdiot cretins like religious fundamentalists.

May 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  19. snicklefrits

not everyone can come to grips with the fact that with death comes an unconcsious, infinite void, pure nonexistance. hence organized religion and all the negativity that comes with it. live for the moment, because the only heaven you will ever know is one of the living mind, and only then for a split second in the face of eternity. my only regret is that the religious types will lack the awareness after death to even comprehend how offbase they were

May 23, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • Voice of Reason

They are wasting their precious lives.

May 23, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  20. Dancing Waters

If I were on that pulpit I would call for a roundup of all who looked fat. I would not drop them food. They could leave when their gluttonous ways subsided ! 🙂

May 23, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • Cherries

Give them seeds, they could grow their own food...

May 23, 2012 at 10:58 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
About this blog