home
RSS
May 23rd, 2012

Mixed reactions around church whose pastor’s anti-gay rant went viral

By Ismael Estrada, CNN

Maiden, North Carolina (CNN) – Just about everyone here is talking about the local pastor who made national headlines this week after a video that features him telling congregants how to “get rid of” gays went viral.

Neighbors of the Providence Road Baptist Church – where a sign advertises “old time religion” - say Pastor Charles Worley is known for being over the top, with one neighbor describing him as “fire and brimstone” whose views are out of sync with much of the surrounding community.

"I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn't get it past the Congress,” Worley told his church on May 13, in a video that has been seen half a million times on YouTube.

“Build a great big, large fence  50 or 100 miles long  and put all the lesbians in there,” Worley said. “Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, and have that fence electrified so they can't get out. Feed them. And you know in a few years, they'll die out. You know why? They can't reproduce."

My Take: The Christian case for gay marriage

Some church members, who declined to give their names, defended their pastor, saying his words had been taken out of context. "He said he would feed them!" some church members told CNN, referring to the Worley’s idea for rounding up gays.

Worley “takes a real firm stand on the Bible and what it says about different things,” said church member Joe Heffner. “Whether I like it or not or whether anybody else likes it."

Another church member, who declined to give his name, said that “Being gay and lesbian or homosexual is wrong according to the Bible… it’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

My Take: The Bible condemns a lot, but here's why we focus on homosexuality

"We love the people, hate the sin, OK? Point blank,” he continued. “You need to lay off my pastor."

The pastor's sermon also attacked President Obama, with Worley saying that "I ain’t going to vote for a baby killer and a homosexual lover."

On Wednesday, the group Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed a complaint with the IRS alleging that Worley violated the rules of his church's tax-exempt status by engaging in political speech against a candidate.

“Pastor Worley’s vicious and mean-spirited assault on gays and lesbians is bad enough,” said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United. “His pulpit command that people not vote for President Obama is a violation of federal tax law. I urge the IRS to act swiftly to investigate this matter.”

Video of the sermon had initially been posted on Providence Road’s website but was recently taken down, according to CNN affiliate WBTV-TV in Charlotte. The phone line at Worley’s church has been busy since Monday night, and Worley’s home number has been busy since Tuesday.

The church’s website has also been down, but it had described the house of worship as fundamentalist, meaning it represents a Baptist tradition that's more conservative than the Southern Baptists.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Worley’s sermon was posted on YouTube by a group called Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate, which is organizing a protest at the Providence Road Baptist Church on Sunday.

Addressing his congregation last Sunday, Worley referred to his earlier controversial sermon.

"I talked a little bit, I believe it was last Sunday, on the homosexual lifestyle, and there was a whole lot of people who didn't like what I said," Worley told his congregation Sunday, according to WBTV. "I want to read it out of the Bible, and then we'll go from there."

“Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays  I didn't wanna say 'queers'  that say we don't love you, I love you more than you love yourself,” Worley said, according to WBTV. “I'm praying for you to be saved."

Worley’s initial sermon was partly framed as a response to Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage, which he made in a TV interview a day after North Carolina voters passed a state constitutional amendment banning legal recognition of such marriages and other types of gay unions.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, was working Tuesday to gather criticism of Worley’s comments from other North Carolina pastors.

“I am angry and sick at heart over Pastor Worley's comments,” said the Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, pastor at Open Hearts Gathering in Gastonia, North Carolina, in a statement distributed by GLAAD.

“Nothing he says has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Teall-Fleming, who leads a Disciples of Christ congregation. “I call on all Christian and Baptist organizations that have any connection with him to condemn his comments as strongly as I do, including Providence Road Baptist Church of Maiden.”

–CNN's Dan Gilgoff contributed reporting.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality • North Carolina

soundoff (1,677 Responses)
  1. WillieLove

That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

May 24, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • tallulah13

Of course, there's not a single shred of evidence to support the existence of your god, and no evidence, either, that the bible is anything more than a compilation of middle-eastern myths, but if it makes you happy to quote bronze age humans, you go for it.

May 24, 2012 at 2:27 am |
    • Julie

Yes... and he told me to "Love thy neighbor as I love myself". Not to incite hatred against them, or imprison them until they die, or to speak against them, deny them human and equal rights or try to have them killed.

May 24, 2012 at 2:29 am |
  2. WillieLove

And thou shalt return and obey the voice of the LORD, and do all his commandments which I command thee this day.

May 24, 2012 at 2:24 am |
  3. WillieLove

And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

May 24, 2012 at 2:23 am |
  4. WillieLove

But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

May 24, 2012 at 2:22 am |
  5. scruffy1

This idea of Pastor Worley is hardly original, back in the 1930's it was already attempted when social deviants, the insane, and the mentally retarded were incarcerated into camps. The camps quickly proved impractical so the initiators developed a new idea. Pastor Worley is two steps away from Nazi Germany but the really sad part is that he is not aware of how horrid his idea truly is.

May 24, 2012 at 2:07 am |
    • ladybrenwyn

You are being generous by saying two steps. I truly only see one – what to do with them once there.

May 24, 2012 at 2:14 am |
  6. JC Copeland

Ah yes, and once again a Baptist preacher forgets the tenets laid down by the foundation of the Baptist movement and steps forward to bring his perwsonal thoughts above those of the Lord which he is supposed to be serving. ead the scripture, "no resapector of person" says the lord. Go further into the fact that anyone, according to both the Southern Baptist Convention and the World Baptist Convention have established that one can be saved by admitting love for the Lord and full emersion baptism. There was never any fine print in the Baptist contract with mankingd that said "If you are gay, God does not accept you". How utterly stupid can some people be when they see and listen to their pastor who violates the very law from which he preaches. "love one another as thyself" said our Lord. If the rest of us wake up and resalize this North Carolina "preacher sounds sounds exactly like Jim Jones, Charles Manson, and other mentally challenged radicals, we might decide to ride him out on a rail and bring back the "Soggy Bottom Boys"......

May 24, 2012 at 1:22 am |
  7. Almost funny

If this issue were less egregiously insulting to human decency (and, if you want to be religiousy, to the overarching messages of the Bible, as opposed to verses taken out of context), the mindless attempts by this guy in the video and others like him (jessica wrenn, a shout out to you babe) to elucidate the reasons that their pastor is not an out of control, batsh|t crazy bigot would be quite humorous.

May 24, 2012 at 12:43 am |
    • jessica wrenn

well why u bring me into this all i was saying is that he was saying what in the bible i was not saying he wasnt wrong for saying the people to die off but ok i guess u like make fun of people

May 24, 2012 at 1:31 am |
  8. tallulah13

Lay off the pastor? Why should such bigotry and malice go uncontested? This person is advocating imprisonment for a minority. I say that this pastor and this congregation should be educated, that they should be taught that there is not a single shred of evidence to support the existence of their god, or the holiness of their bible. They should be educated in science and history, so that they would learn that people are born gay from straight parents, and that this is as natural as being born with blonde or brown hair.

I refuse to "lay off" a person who advocates hatred and discrimination. This pastor is a vile human being, and those who follow him are no better.

May 24, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • Candace Jones

Yes. He was so wrong. I think its sad. Pastor obviously needs prayer but, so do we all. There is not one person on this entire planet sinless. And, no sin is larger than another. Sin is sin...he made a mistake hopefully. Or he's under control of a spirit.

May 24, 2012 at 12:40 am |
    • HotAirAce

I do not believe in any god nor am I a member of any cult so am not subject to any book of fairy tales – I am without sin!!

May 24, 2012 at 12:43 am |
    • tallulah13

Sin is a pointless term. In reality, there is that which harms and that which does no harm.

May 24, 2012 at 2:05 am |
  9. DoNotWorry

Oh yeah, this is pure sophistry (pre Christian). For those of you who can't tell Christianity from sophistry, see below.
    soph·ist·ry: 1. a subtle, tricky, superficially plausible, but generally fallacious method of reasoning. 2. a false argument; sophism. from dictionary.com
    Sophism in the modern definition is a specious argument used for deceiving someone. From PLATO, not the Bible. This pastor is misleading his flock through sophistry. I sure hope he doesn't lead them to hell in a handbasket.

May 24, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • Candace Jones

Wolves in sheep's clothing?? He said this would be.

May 24, 2012 at 12:34 am |
  10. Candace Jones

ROMANS 1:18-32.

Nevertheless, being so concerned about this is worthless. Allow God to be God. He died for our sins for Christ sake....he loves us...we were forgiven when he rose on the 3rd day. Choose to know Him or at least try Him at His Word.

May 24, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • Cq

Have you ever asked yourself how anyone can die for your mistakes? It never has made any sense. It was only a workaround way of spinning the embarrassing point that Jesus died on a cross, making him ritually unclean and disqualifying him as a possible messiah.

May 24, 2012 at 12:43 am |
  11. jesus

Im on the pastor side,To the sheep that belongs to the good shepard beware of the sheep that belongs to the world.The people of the world understand only worldly things,they cant comprehend the things of GOD cause they dead in spirit.They carnal minded they know being gay is worng,common scence .In the bible in those days will be like sodom .sin is a enemy of GOD you keep on preaching the word of GOD and dont let no devil stop your mouth.The devil know his time is short so hes gonna attack you thru ungodly people.JESUS came for one reason only and that is of the truth.GOD bless you my brother in Christ JESUS

May 24, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • midwest rail

Yep – nothing says love and compassion like modern day concentration camps....

May 24, 2012 at 12:26 am |
    • Julie

Hey Satan... stop using Jesus's name to spread your diseased hatred and evil! I know you enjoy having this "pastor" preach your ways so you have more company down in hell, but us SMART christians know such disgusting antics come from you and not Jesus!

May 24, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • jessica wrenn

thank you he was just preaching out of the bible and they are making this sound like he hurt someone
      amen god bless this man of god

May 24, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • Cq

Even the best of shepherds don't keep their sheep as pets; they keep them to exploit for their wool and meat. Their sheep are their livelihood, and God needs people for his livelihood. Without people to worship God he disappears completely, right?

May 24, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • Candace Jones

AMEN!

May 24, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • widow

What ever happened to being a good person and helping other people? You think gay people should be put behind an electrified fence? That is horrible... If it doesn't impose on your life and doesn't harm you then stay out of it.. it is not like they are going to schools around the country and recruiting people to be gay.. they are gay.. go back to roman times and they had saunas and bathe houses where because people couldn't read or write they had signs that had 2 men or 2 women or 2 men and a woman so you could choose.. It is not like this is something new.. maybe you should move to Iran or Iraq or Syria where they murder gay people.. oh wait you are christian so there is a good chance they will murder you too so be careful.. Oh and since you are a believer in all the words the bible says than your pastor is full of it.. he has no powers.. he cannot be traced back to peter and Paul.. so in effect he has no powers bestowed to Peter and Paul through Jesus.. So in effect all the Baptists and basically all Christians who aren't from the orthodox or catholic church have NO powers.. It always makes me laugh to see these bible belt nut heads like you believe your pastor when he or she actually has zero powers.. can't turn water and wine into the blood of Jesus or the bread into His body.. not that I believe it.. but it is in the Bible so shouldn't you? since you obviously take everything the bible says literally? I mean you can trace every catholic priest and Greek orthodox priest back to Peter and Paul.. no other religion can say that. the rest just spew lies and believe everything else in the Bible... funny how the only thing in the bible they don't talk about is what doesn't work for them or they change that literal context.. but by the way I am writing this and the way you could barely spell..I am sure this is like reading Chinese to you.. but good luck living a life based on misinformation.

May 24, 2012 at 12:39 am |
    • Julie

Jessica, he DID hurt someone! Several thousands of people, as well as making all other Christians embarrassed that he calls his disgusting evil ways "Christ like". Why are you defending an EVIL person? Why are you preaching for Satan? If you are Satanic, just come right out and say so!

May 24, 2012 at 12:48 am |
    • jessica wrenn

U KNOW ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THIS PASTOR DID NOTHING WRONG TO ANYONE IT IS NOT LIKE HE WENT UP TO A GAY PERSON OR LESBIAN AND KILLED THEM HE IS JUST TELL HIS CHURCH THAT BEING GAY IS WRONG AND HE IS SHERPARD OF HIS CHURCH AND THEY ARE THE FLOK AND THEY HAVE A CHOOSE TO GET UP AND LEAVE THE CHURCH IF THEY DONT LIKE WHAT HE SAID AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU DONT HAVE TO GO TO HIS CHURCH HE IS JUST SAYING THAT WHAT THE BIBLE IS SAYING SO WHY ARE U ACTING LIKE US PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE IN GOD IS SO WRONG. MY DAUGHTER IS 7 AND TOLD ME THAT IT IS WRONG TO BE GAY OR LESBIAN AND I TOLD MY DAUGHTER THAT SHE IS RIGHT AND SHE SAID THAT IT IS THE BIBLE I TEACH MY DAUGHTER TO HAVE OPEN MIND AND TO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT HERE THAT IS DIFFERENT THEN HER SO NOT TO JUDGE BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS OUT HERE JUDGE THIS PASTOR WHEN ALL HE WAS DOING IS TELLING HOW HE FEELED ABOUT PEOPLE BEING GAY AND LESBIAN

May 24, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • HotAirAce

Jessica, I think all christians, beginning with your family, should be rounded up and put behind an electric fence. Further, because I want to get rid of all believers, I'm not going to feed you. What I want to do is in my cult's holy book. Do you support my right to make this statements?

May 24, 2012 at 1:01 am |
    • midwest rail

Please tell me where in the Bible it says that a minority should be isolated in a modern day concentration camp, complete with an electrified fence.

May 24, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • jessica wrenn

you can say whatever i am done now because i am just a stupid person as u said before and i guess because i have a learning disablity means i dont know what i am talking about i a mother a wife and i believe jesus die for my sins and that is all i am going to say

May 24, 2012 at 1:05 am |
    • HotAirAce

jessica wren – a highly evolved believer... This is what happens to you when you take gods and the jesus myth too seriously. Bye Bye Jessi!!

May 24, 2012 at 1:11 am |
    • jessica wrenn

i just dont understand how u can judge me i am not this man who u have been talking about i am a mother who is just saying that goes to church and teaches my kids that it is wrong to against the bible and i will follow god no matter what people say but u all have judge me all night but wont listen to what i am saying i hope god understands where u are comeing from but u all act like this mor than a big deal then understand what he was saying i dont agree that u should put gays or lesbians in a fence but i think that u should pray and ask god to show them the right way but u know u all have called me stupid and said i am wrong for how i believe i will pray for everyone of u and ask god not to hold this against u but i have a god that will hold key to the new life aheadof us and when thoses gates opens i know i will be one of those to go to heaven and sit beside god and see all my family that has left me behind but u all have made me feel like i am the dumbest person alive on this earth so thank you but i will let god make me feel better

May 24, 2012 at 1:21 am |
    • HotAirAce

GOOD NIGHT JESSICA!!

May 24, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • Julie

Jessica, if you are indeed a mother... I am so sorry for your children!! How sad that they are being raised by someone with NO education, is deliberately ignorant and is teaching them to be stupid, hateful, evil and worthless. And probably on welfare to boot. If your children grow up to be gay, I hope they never speak to you again!

May 24, 2012 at 1:31 am |
    • Julie

Jessica, you ARE the dumbest person alive if you continue to abuse your children like this! To teach them such hatred and evil ways! Not to mention being evil yourself. Please repent to the lord and truely LEARN about his love and his ways, since you are currently clueless about them!

May 24, 2012 at 1:33 am |
    • jessica wrenn

i am not going to bed so whatever hotair ace

May 24, 2012 at 1:34 am |
    • jessica wrenn

i am not abuse in way to my kids my kids know the truth and julie u can just keep my name out of your month i am just saying what the bible says i said he was wrong about the abuse but he was not wrong about gay people so and god said in the bible train a child in the way it should go and they will neaver depart from it and that is what me and my husband are doing and if you think it is ok to call me dumb then i guess u are no better them me and god also said to treat other like u want to be treat and u must want to be treat that way so u are the most stupid person in the world

May 24, 2012 at 1:39 am |
    • HotAirAce

GOOD *NIGHT* JESSICA!

May 24, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • jessica wrenn

NO I WILL NOT GO TO BED U CAN NOT TELL ME WHAT TO DO IT IS A FREE COUNTRY SO STUP UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE

May 24, 2012 at 1:44 am |
    • Julie

HotAIrAce.... the only thing we can do is feel sorry for Jessica and her children. Its not her fault SHE was born this way, just like its not the fault of gays they are born that way. I work with persons with Developmental Disabilities and I know what their education and IQ levels do to their thinking. I am concerned that she says she is in an intimate relationship though, as he education and understanding level makes me wonder if she is able to be "consenting" in such a manner. This kind of thinking, the kind where they cleave to a "belief" even though they know its evil and dangerous kind of goes with the disability. ITs why we call them "disabled"... they can't really think for themselves much. For the sake of her supposed children, take comfort in the fact that most people like her lose custody of any children for neglect. Too bad that doesn't work with the more subtle "disabled" such as this pastor!

May 24, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Jessica

If one of your children turn out to be gay or lesbian, would you support this mans statements? What would you do to your kids then?

May 24, 2012 at 2:23 am |
    • jessica wrenn

just because i have a disabilty does mean i cant have kids and does mean i take care of them and be a good mom like u if u have kids and my kids have everything they need and want and i have had a job and held it down just like a normal person did just because people like u has made me the person i am today because they told me i would neaver be anything in this world but look i have kids like a normal woman would and i have husband who loves me and respects me for me and i have a home and a car on my owen and i might not understand things like u do but i know right from wrong all u do is love puting people down and that is why other people give up but i neaver do so now i am going to say this to u julie because u like to make fun of people may god bless u with something so u understand how bad u hurt people by talking about disable people like u did u are no better than the pastor talking about gays when u talk about disable people u might not understand what i write but god does and i do so that is all that matters

May 24, 2012 at 2:37 am |
    • jessica wrenn

i didnt say i support him i said he was in the wrong but i also said that if my kids turn out to be gay i will love my kids no matter what they choose to do i was rasie that being gay or lesbian is wrong but i could neaver my back on my kids like my owen mom did my turn her back on me when i was 5 because i had learning disablity so i dont support it i have been trying to say that but all i get is made fun of and things like that but if that is all this about is makeing fun of me then go ahead

May 24, 2012 at 2:41 am |
    • HawaiiGuest

@jessica

Well I'm glad that you wouldn't treat your children differently or try to "cure" them like I've heard many others say. I'm also glad you don't support this guys statements, but I hope you realize that this pastor is serious about wanting to do this to the LGBT community.

May 24, 2012 at 2:52 am |
    • jessica wrenn

i believe that god is the only one that is to judge not us and i believe u shoudl be your self but i also believe not to treat someone differnt just because they have a disably and that is what have dont here tonight is make fun of me because i have a diablitiy but this is not about me it is about htis pastor and he was wrong but he also whas not preaching to us and i dont support him i am pentcostal i was rasie that way and believe that way and i believe god is the only one that judge people and we can not tell people that they cant be gay or lesbian i have friends that is gay and lesbian and we are close so i think people need to watch they say

May 24, 2012 at 2:59 am |
    • Primewonk

I'm sorry Jesus, but your post is epic fail.

I really prefer that all omnipotent onmiscient deities be much less whiney than you are. And for the creator and ruler of the entire universe you seem to have no grasp of logic. Also, you need to work on your grammar, syntax, punctuation, and spelling.

Why are fundiots so stupid?

May 24, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  12. DoNotWorry

Love the sinner but hate the sin is not a Christian thought. It is a sophistry... also known as preChristian or heathen. Funny how those who pervert Christianity use heathen wording to justify themselves. Please note that gays did not make the top ten commandments... a bit of fluff back in Leviticus is usually cited... leaving out that eating pork and shellfish is an abomination (2 sentences before the favored abomination remark). The Bible does NOT justify abuse or torture of gays. This "kind" pastor would never get past Jesus Christ with his hatred and perversion of Christian gospel.

May 24, 2012 at 12:24 am |
  13. midwest rail

" Love the sinner, hate the sin ". The big lie as practiced by today's faux Christians.

May 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
  14. midgick

This is how Hitler started in Germany. Hate speeches about the Gay's, The Gypsy's, The Jews, anyone who wasn't like Them.
    Why is it always The South that this garbage happens. Is it because of inbreeding? Stupidity, or just plain hate? These people can't look at themselves for their problem so they have to blame everybody and everyone else for their woes.
    this Country was established so all could have freedom of religeon, freedom to live their lives from the Church vs. the state.
    We tell the world that the Muslim Mullahs are to blame for the attacks on the West. Well, this Pastor is no different than them!!!. Preaches the same hate and BS. Threow the SOB in jail for Hate Crimes and all their followers. This is not freedom of speech. This is Hate Crimes at its worst. Wake up America, Your going into a direction you'll regret forever.

May 23, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Rebel4Christ

maybe its because the south stands for Jesus!

May 24, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • Julie

rebel4Christ.... the south apparently confuses Jesus and Satan alot. They have been following Satan's words and actions for years... and do it openly, knowingly and viciously. They are well aware that they have nothing to do with Jesus, no matter how many times they say his name.

May 24, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Cq

Rebel4Christ
      The south has a long history of standing for the wrong things, and bigotry against gays is just the latest.

May 24, 2012 at 12:55 am |
  15. Reality

Dear Pastor "Not So Bright"/"Gay Neck" Worley,

(ONLY FOR THE NEW MEMBERS)

o "Abrahamics" like you believe that their god created all of us and of course that includes the g-ay members of the human race. Also, those who have studied ho-mo-se-xuality have determined that there is no choice involved therefore ga-ys are ga-y because god made them that way.

1. The Royal College of Psy-chiatrists stated in 2007:

“ Despite almost a century of psy-choanalytic and psy-chological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heteros-exual or hom-ose-xual orientation. It would appear that s-exual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of ge-netic factors and the early ut-erine environment. Se-xual orientation is therefore not a choice.[60] "

2. "Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fe-tal brain develops during the intraut-erine period in the male direction through a direct action of tes-tosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hor-mone surge. In this way, our gender identi-ty (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and s-exual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender ident–ity or s-exual orientation."[8

3. See also the Philadelphia Inquirer review “Gay Gene, Deconstructed”, 12/12/2011. Said review addresses the following “How do genes associated with ho-mose-xuality avoid being weeded out by Darwinian evolution?”

(Note: some words hyphenated to defeat the moderators "secret" word/fragment filter.)
    =======================================================================================

May 23, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  16. truth

1 Corinthians 13 >>
    New International Version 1984
    1If I speak in the tonguesa of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,b but have not love, I gain nothing.
    4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

May 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • heavens gate

Wow, couldnt have said it better truth. This pastor needs to get on his knees and pray for forgiveness, and repent. I went to a baptist school and know there is very little chance of that.

May 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Commenter

heavens gate,

Nah, this pastor guy undoubtedly prays a bunch and thinks that Jesus talks to him and tells him what to do... just like the rest of the delusionals.

May 24, 2012 at 12:39 am |
  17. jessica wrenn

why are all u people makeing a bid deal out of this when he is just trying to teach the word to his church and if you dont like it you dont have to go to his church. it is called freedom of speech and i think people need to just move on with their life

May 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'll bet you do, honey. Grow up.

May 23, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • jessica wrenn

u know what you all need to grow up but this is so stupid and i live not far from this church and i think this is most stupid thing because you are all making a big deal out this and he was preaching to all of the world he was preaching to his church so why are you going to get mad about him telling the truth

May 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • ladybrenwyn

Freedom of speech is not unlimited. You don't yell "fire" in a crowded theatre when there isn't one. Preaching hate from a church is bad enough. But promoting something illegal is not protected by free speech. Those who have even a basic sense of right, wrong, ethics and even common sense should and do protest. We don't ignore it and move on.

May 23, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • jessica wrenn

well u are all wrong and when we all go up stairs to god and god says what is this about u all bashing one of my sons what are u going to say to him god kn ows that he is just doing what god told him to do and us in north carolina dont believe that it is right to get married to man and man it says in the bible that a woman iand a man should be togather not a man and man or woman and woman

May 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Jesica, seems you haven't heard – there are no gods. Well, at least there is no evidence for any god. You are a member of a hateful cult and need the help of a mental health professional.

May 23, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

jessica thinks that when we die we go upstairs. jessica is 14.

May 24, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • HotAirAce

Maybe her cult keeps human remains upstairs? Some think they drink jesus' blood and eat his flesh so storing remains upstairs wouldn't be the craziest thing believers do.

May 24, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • jessica wrenn

no their are gods and i am untied pentcostal church and we believe by the bible and no i am 28 years old and i am sorry u all think he is wrong but i was rasie by my grandparents and they think that being gay or lebian is wrong to so i think u all need to think about what u are saying about this pastor he dont hate if u would listen he told someone he was sorry for the comments he said but didnt say it to the news people and his church is backing him because he is just telling the truth

May 24, 2012 at 12:20 am |
    • HotAirAce

So Jessica, what is the truth – that gays should be rounded up and put in concentration camps? That that would eventually eliminate all gays? That Obama is a "baby killer and a homosexual lover"? That Worley is a grumpy old white bigot? That you are an uneducated delusional hateful southerner?

Instead of telling others how to live and denying them their rights, how about you go on mission to stop 700,000 american believers per year from getting abortions? Once you've got your cult following your rules 100%, get back to us – hypocrite!!

May 24, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • jessica wrenn

OK FIST OF ALL IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT I SAY THEN DONT READ IT BUT IF YOU CAN GO OUT HERE AND KILL AN BABY WHO DIDNT ASK TO BE BROUGHT INTO THIS WORLD THEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU I FEEL LIKE U ARE GAY OR LESBIAN YOUR SELF SO THAT IS WHY U ARE COMMENT ON MY POST ALL I AM SAYING IS WE ARE MAKING THIS OUT TO BE SOMETHING WHEN WE COULD BE OUT THERE TEACHING THE WORD OF GOD IF YOU READ YOUR BIBLE IT WOULD SAY IN THERE THAT GOD IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN JUDGE THIS PASTOR HE IS THE ONE THAT WROTE THE BIBLE AND GOD SAID IN THE BIBLE THAT NO MAN AND MAN SHOULD BE TOGATHER IF SO THEY ARE ABOMINATION GOD AND U JUST ARE ONE CLOSE MINDED PERSON SO U CAN JUDGE ME HOW EVER YOU WANT TO BUT I KNOW THE TRUTH AND WILL TEACH MY KIDS THE TRUTH AND I AGREE WITH THE PASTOR AND HE IS NOT MY PASTOR

May 24, 2012 at 12:43 am |
    • HotAirAce

Jessica, calm down and answer the questions. You say you agree with Passhole Worley, but please be more specific. Waht do you really agree with? Are you really saying it's a good idea to put gays in concentration camps? What if one of your children is gay – would you put your child in a concentration camp?

May 24, 2012 at 12:47 am |
    • Oy

Well, you've got jessica shouting now, guys.

Low IQ, delusional and a mother - it does not bode well.

May 24, 2012 at 12:50 am |
    • HotAirAce

I suspect she is too stupid to know that "all caps" is shouting – more likely she accidently hit 'Caps Lock' and doesn't know how to revert. Actually, I think 'jessica' is pranking us – no one can be as dumb as her and still manage to use a computer. But I will play along for amusement although I do feel a little guilty for sparring with a mental midget (no offense meant to midgets of course).

May 24, 2012 at 12:54 am |
    • Julie

Jessica, do your self a favor and go get an education before you attempt to argue with people far better educated than you are! This preacher is nothing more than a dangerous and evil man who has never understood the spirit of the bible. His preaching AGAINST every thing Jesus tried to teach!

May 24, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • Tyler

wow!!!! that is the longest sentence i have ever read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 24, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • jessica wrenn

FOR ONE NO I KNOW THAT MY CAPTS IS ON AND I DONT ARGEE PUT THEMING IN A CAMP AND I WOULD DO THAT TO MY OWEN KIDS AND SINCE U WANT TO SAY I AM STUPID I WAS IN A SPEACIL ED CLASS WHEN I WAS A KID BUT I DONT CARE THAT U WAS VERY MEAN AND CALLED ME THOSE NAMES BUT ALL I AM GOING TO SAY IS I GUESS IT IS OK TO MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE THAT IS WHY THERE ARE BULLIES IN SCHOOL TODAY BUT IT IS OK IT MIGHT HURT BUT I GET OVER IT AND I HAVE NOONANS SYDROME WHICH IS LIKE DOWS SYDROME SO GO HEAD AND MAKE FUN OF ME

May 24, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • ladybrenwyn

Jessica please take a deep breath and think. This isn't just about whether it is right or wrong to be gay. It is also about whether it is right to preach hate and physical abuse of people that you think are wrong in your interpretation of the bible. Remember what country you are in.

May 24, 2012 at 1:12 am |
    • jessica wrenn

god said in the bible to not hate no one so it says in the bible that to pray for these people that have sined and it there choose to be gay not mine or anyone else so i feel like everyone is make me to be out to this pastor i am not him and all i am saying that it is in the bible that it is wrong but i have learning disbitly and people are makeing fun of me and i am now cryuing becaus ei feel like i am not a smart person to talk to people on here but i guess just because i believe what the bible says i am wrong

May 24, 2012 at 1:26 am |
    • ladybrenwyn

Jessica: I do not approve of being a bully on either side of this difficult argument. I will not call you names, nor do I hate you. I will send prayers for your health and well being. You have difficult burdens and I will not add to them. Sleep well, and know that in time, things may become more clear.

May 24, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • jessica wrenn

i am so tierd of people talking to me like i am dumb i am not dumb and also when i was a kid told me that i would neaver be anything and look i have become a child of god and now i am a mother a wife and a daughter and a granddaughter but i am just saying PLEASE EVERYONE OUT HERE STOP MAKEING FUN OF ME I AM NOT DLOING ANYTHING WRONG ALL I SAID THAT IT IS OIN THE BIBLE ABOUT PEOPLE BEING GAY SO I DIDNT SAY TO KILL ANYONE OR ANYTHING SO WHY ARE U TAKING IT OUT ON ME

May 24, 2012 at 1:42 am |
    • ladybrenwyn

Jessica: even people that believe in the bible disagree on what it really says and means, and how we should apply it to our daily lives. That is why there are so many different types of "Christians". Many people feel very strongly about their opinions. It is also hard on gay people to be told that people hate them, that they should be killed (I know, you didn't say that), that they should be penned up like animals, that God hates them, etc. We can't decide this and we can't change people's minds. Sadly.

May 24, 2012 at 2:05 am |
    • jessica wrenn

i know that and i am just saying that i was rasie that way but i was rasie in a united pentcostal church and they go by the bible they also say in the church i go to that a woman should not where mens aperal and that means to them that we should where skirts all the time so i was just saying but i am not dunb i do know things about they bible i didnt say that gays should die or anything like that i believe god is the one to judge

May 24, 2012 at 2:12 am |
    • ladybrenwyn

Yes, letting God judge is an excellent idea. We are not supposed to.

May 24, 2012 at 2:18 am |
    • jessica wrenn

that is all i was saying but i see people dont like people that are disable post their oppions i guess so i guess i am the wrong place

May 24, 2012 at 2:42 am |
    • Commenter

jessica,

My heart breaks for you. I am so sorry that you are hurting. Your vulnerable nature has been taken advantage of by evangelical pentacostals and it is truly a shame.

I hope that you can find something to do that truly brings you happiness and serenity. Religion is obviously not it.

Please think twice, and three times, and more, about passing along this hate-filled outlook on life to your children.

Peace to you, dear.

May 24, 2012 at 2:55 am |
    • ladybrenwyn

Time for sleep. Jessica, God gave us free will to decide things. Different Christian churches have different views on this, many are kinder than the ones you know. We all have to decide what is right. I send good thoughts and prayers for you and hope you find a more gentle place for your faith. Goodnight.

May 24, 2012 at 3:02 am |
    • jessica wrenn

to commader i do not hate no one and i will teat my kids to be them self and love everyone so and i do not let my religion come between me and my kids they come first and i am not one of those region people that is so strict that u cant be who u want to be my daughter can be what she wants to be and love who she falls in love with i will still will love her and people are making out to be a monster but i am not i am a great mom just because i have a disablety

May 24, 2012 at 3:04 am |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

I think "jessica" is a fake and having the laugh of "her" life stringing us along. If not, she is in serious need of serious help.

May 24, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  18. jim

People arent born g. a .y they choose to be so his whole theory is stupid anyhow. And why just g. a .ys? Fornication and adultry, Divorce without cause, stealing, lieing, envy, jealousy, hatered, lust, and murder are just as bad in the bible. But if he did that then half his congregation would probably be in there to.

May 23, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do cite any scientific research that supports your claim that people aren't "born gay".

Thanks in advance, you dolt.

May 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • er

Provide "good" scientific proof they ARE born that way? I have never read one un biased report to the contrary.

May 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sorry, doofus, the onus is on the one who made the claim.

What a shame you are stupid.

May 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Besides, er, I doubt you view any report that doesn't jibe with your jaundiced view as "unbiased", and I also doubt you know how to read.

May 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • DoNotWorry

gay did not make the Top Ten. The rest of it did. Yep, they are in big trouble checking out motes while ignoring their own planks... and their shepherd is a sophist instead of a Christian.

May 24, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • Primewonk

To Jim & er, Here are a couple to get you started. I now expect that you match me 1:1 with citations to valid peer-reviewed scientific research showing gays choose to be gay. I'll be waiting.

The neurodevelopment of human sèxual orientation.
      Rahman Q.
      Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2005;29(7):1057-66. Epub 2005 Apr 25. Review.

Biological and psychosocial determinants of male and female human sèxual orientation.
      James WH.
      J Biosoc Sci. 2005 Sep;37(5):555-67. Review.

Fraternal birth order and the maternal immune hypothesis of male hômosèxuality.
      Blanchard R.
      Horm Behav. 2001 Sep;40(2):105-14. Review.

The neurodevelopment of human sèxual orientation.
      Rahman Q.
      Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2005;29(7):1057-66. Epub 2005 Apr 25. Review.

Fluctuating asymmetry, second to fourth finger length ratios and human sèxual orientation.
      Rahman Q.
      Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2005 May;30(4):382-91. Epub 2005 Jan 13.

The biology of human psychosèxual differentiation.
      Gooren L.
      Horm Behav. 2006 Nov;50(4):589-601. Epub 2006 Jul 25. Review.

Finger-length ratios and sèxual orientation.
      Williams TJ, Pepitone ME, Christensen SE, Cooke BM, Huberman AD, Breedlove NJ, Breedlove TJ, Jordan CL, Breedlove SM.
      Nature. 2000 Mar 30;404(6777):455-6.

A biologic perspective on sèxual orientation.
      Pillard RC, Bailey JM.
      Psychiatr Clin North Am. 1995 Mar;18(1):71-84. Review.

Androgens and sèxual behavior.
      Pardridge WM, Gorski RA, Lippe BM, Green R.
      Ann Intern Med. 1982 Apr;96(4):488-501. Review.

Hormones and psychosèxual differentiation: implications for the management of intersèxuality, hômosèxuality and transsèxuality.
      Meyer-Bahlburg HF.
      Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1982 Nov;11(3):681-701.

Sèxual orientation and handedness in men and women: a meta-ànalysis.
      Lalumiere ML, Blanchard R, Zucker KJ.
      Psychol Bull. 2000 Jul;126(4):575-92.

Quantîtative and theoretical ànalyses of the relation between older brothers and hômosèxuality in men.
      Blanchard R.
      J Theor Biol. 2004 Sep 21;230(2):173-87.

Linkage between sèxual orientation and chromosome Xq28 in males but not in females.
      Hu S, Pattatucci AM, Patterson C, Li L, Fulker DW, Cherny SS, Kruglyak L, Hamer DH.
      Nat Genet. 1995 Nov;11(3):248-56.

Neuroendocrine mechanisms and the aetiology of male and female hômosèxuality.
      MacCulloch MJ, Waddington JL.
      Br J Psychiatry. 1981 Oct;139:341-5. Review.

Hormones and psychosèxual differentiation.
      Giordano G, Giusti M.
      Minerva Endocrinol. 1995 Sep;20(3):165-93. Review.

Neuropsychological development of cognitive abilities: a new research strategy and some preliminary evidence for a sèxual orientation model.
      Sanders G, Ross-Field L.
      Int J Neurosci. 1987 Sep;36(1-2):1-16. Review.

Fraternal birth order and the maternal immune hypothesis of male hômosèxuality.
      Blanchard R.
      Horm Behav. 2001 Sep;40(2):105-14. Review.

Sèx steroids and human behavior: prenatal androgen exposure and sèx-typical play behavior in children.
      Hines M.
      Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003 Dec;1007:272-82. Review.

Androgens and sèxuality.
      Hutchinson KA.
      Am J Med. 1995 Jan 16;98(1A):111S-115S. Review.

James WH.
      J Biosoc Sci. 2005 Sep;37(5):555-67. Review.

Neurobiology and sèxual orientation: current relationships.
      Friedman RC, Downey J.
      J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 1993 Spring;5(2):131-53. Review.

Genetic and environmental influences on sèxual orientation and its correlates in an Australian twin sample.
      Bailey JM, Dunne MP, Martin NG.
      J Pers Soc Psychol. 2000 Mar;78(3):524-36.

May 24, 2012 at 9:00 am |
  19. American Dreamer

It always is the same ..... Christians quoting the Old Testament as the basis for their belief. Where is the Good New that Christ brought?

May 23, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  20. J. Leo

The F-–g idiot can't even figure out that gays were all born to str8 people. They can't wipe out gays because they are the ones producing them.

May 23, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Marie

Amen, to that J. Leo! I was thinking the same thing myself! People like the good Pastor are very scary, dangerous individuals spreading hate and inciting people to do harm to others.

May 23, 2012 at 10:57 pm |