home
RSS
May 23rd, 2012

Mixed reactions around church whose pastor’s anti-gay rant went viral

By Ismael Estrada, CNN

Maiden, North Carolina (CNN) – Just about everyone here is talking about the local pastor who made national headlines this week after a video that features him telling congregants how to “get rid of” gays went viral.

Neighbors of the Providence Road Baptist Church – where a sign advertises “old time religion” - say Pastor Charles Worley is known for being over the top, with one neighbor describing him as “fire and brimstone” whose views are out of sync with much of the surrounding community.

"I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn't get it past the Congress,” Worley told his church on May 13, in a video that has been seen half a million times on YouTube.

“Build a great big, large fence  50 or 100 miles long  and put all the lesbians in there,” Worley said. “Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, and have that fence electrified so they can't get out. Feed them. And you know in a few years, they'll die out. You know why? They can't reproduce."

My Take: The Christian case for gay marriage

Some church members, who declined to give their names, defended their pastor, saying his words had been taken out of context. "He said he would feed them!" some church members told CNN, referring to the Worley’s idea for rounding up gays.

Worley “takes a real firm stand on the Bible and what it says about different things,” said church member Joe Heffner. “Whether I like it or not or whether anybody else likes it."

Another church member, who declined to give his name, said that “Being gay and lesbian or homosexual is wrong according to the Bible… it’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

My Take: The Bible condemns a lot, but here's why we focus on homosexuality

"We love the people, hate the sin, OK? Point blank,” he continued. “You need to lay off my pastor."

The pastor's sermon also attacked President Obama, with Worley saying that "I ain’t going to vote for a baby killer and a homosexual lover."

On Wednesday, the group Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed a complaint with the IRS alleging that Worley violated the rules of his church's tax-exempt status by engaging in political speech against a candidate.

“Pastor Worley’s vicious and mean-spirited assault on gays and lesbians is bad enough,” said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United. “His pulpit command that people not vote for President Obama is a violation of federal tax law. I urge the IRS to act swiftly to investigate this matter.”

Video of the sermon had initially been posted on Providence Road’s website but was recently taken down, according to CNN affiliate WBTV-TV in Charlotte. The phone line at Worley’s church has been busy since Monday night, and Worley’s home number has been busy since Tuesday.

The church’s website has also been down, but it had described the house of worship as fundamentalist, meaning it represents a Baptist tradition that's more conservative than the Southern Baptists.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Worley’s sermon was posted on YouTube by a group called Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate, which is organizing a protest at the Providence Road Baptist Church on Sunday.

Addressing his congregation last Sunday, Worley referred to his earlier controversial sermon.

"I talked a little bit, I believe it was last Sunday, on the homosexual lifestyle, and there was a whole lot of people who didn't like what I said," Worley told his congregation Sunday, according to WBTV. "I want to read it out of the Bible, and then we'll go from there."

“Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays  I didn't wanna say 'queers'  that say we don't love you, I love you more than you love yourself,” Worley said, according to WBTV. “I'm praying for you to be saved."

Worley’s initial sermon was partly framed as a response to Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage, which he made in a TV interview a day after North Carolina voters passed a state constitutional amendment banning legal recognition of such marriages and other types of gay unions.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, was working Tuesday to gather criticism of Worley’s comments from other North Carolina pastors.

“I am angry and sick at heart over Pastor Worley's comments,” said the Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, pastor at Open Hearts Gathering in Gastonia, North Carolina, in a statement distributed by GLAAD.

“Nothing he says has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Teall-Fleming, who leads a Disciples of Christ congregation. “I call on all Christian and Baptist organizations that have any connection with him to condemn his comments as strongly as I do, including Providence Road Baptist Church of Maiden.”

–CNN's Dan Gilgoff contributed reporting.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality • North Carolina

soundoff (1,677 Responses)
  1. ladymarchhare

Sheesh...what ignorance. So Rev Worley...you'll kill out all the gays this way? WRONG. No matter how many LGBT people you throw behind a fence YOUR congregation and other straight people will KEEP GIVING BIRTH TO MORE, because THAT is how this works. Straight people give birth to gay kids.

May 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  2. Guest11

When two pastors cannot agree about what the Bible says, what does that tell us? No religion interpretation of any issue should be given any importance and any dwelling over irrational 2,000 year old thoughts is just a waste of time. Whoever believes in such nonsense is just embarrassing him/herself.

May 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  3. Bootyfunk

christianity, just go away.

May 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  4. MazeAndBlue

Makes me wonder, What other garbage he is teaching to his flock. It's one thing to be against gay marriage, rights, et al. But this is simply outrageous. Seems like he gets his fire and brimstone from creeps like al qaeda, taliban, Nazis and of course racists tea party nuts.

May 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • jungleboo

It makes one shudder to see "Temples of The Divine Spirit of Pentecostal Leaps and Bounds" open up in old shopping strips. The supposed pastors send out the call, and people do answer it. The problem is that these little temples lack any form of supervision or oversight by a compelling authority. This means that they are free to murmur and moan about anything that makes them feel better about their ruined lives. The "pastor" is egged on by these righteous, lost souls yelling Amen, and he eventually outs himself as a bigot, like this fair fool has done. That would be a major flaw in the "freedom of religion" deal, because their intellectual cancer can crop up in a heartbeat, practiced and perfected for 40 odd people who fill the church – I mean storefront.

May 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • jungleboo

May 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • jungleboo

Whoops, I was seeing double.

May 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  5. myweightinwords

@ Freethinker, you said:

2 men and 2 women cannot pro create, which in natures law means they cannot be parents, therefore......no marriage. It takes a man and woman to make a child, which is what marriage should be about. Pro creation and serving the lord and each other. Grow up kids......your parents and grandparents took vows.......chriistian vows

If this is the argument you want to use to deny the rights of your fellow American citizens, then I hope you also support a law which requires non-child-producing couples to divorce, and one that denies marriage licenses to anyone who can not bear children do to medical reasons. There will also need to be a law that prevents those past the age of child bearing from getting married. Also, a law denying marriage rights to any Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Buddhist, Atheist, Agnostics, Bahai, Hindus, etc,

Marriage is not a Christian word. Marriage, wedding, family...these are concepts that are shaped by our society, by the world in which we live. They are different here in the states than they are in Africa or South America or India or China. They are different today than they were 100 years ago...or 200 years ago, or a thousand years ago.

Extending equality to all takes nothing away from anybody.

May 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Jack

2 men AND 2 women, now that's a party.

May 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Cq

No woman who needs in vitro fertilization in order to conceive and no man who is likewise infertile should be allowed to marry either, following this logic.

May 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  6. PaulC

What would Jesus say about this self appointed "man of God"?

May 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • TheTokenSquare

I don't know what he'd say now but this is what he did say:
      "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." ...and... " Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand."

May 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  7. george

What this pastor is saying it build death camps for gays except skip the ovens and gas chambers, just let them die on their own. Notice he doesn't mention health care, just food, no doctors or medicine for them. As far as I can tell Romney has not condemned this, nor has the evangelical christian establishment. I always wondered what they planned to do with gay people once they (evangelicals) took over.

May 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • Whatever

Romney wouldn't because he's not Christian. He could respond I suppose, but what can of worms does that open up? Can't respond to every looney...you'd never get anything done! For reference, look a few posts down and see the comments by Freethinker. I talked, but for no purpose. I really just wasted about a 1/2 an hour of my life talking to him...

Honestly, the truth is I want our politicians talking about issues with education and the economy. Let the ramblings of this crazy guy pass without taking the bait...

May 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • Annrafnk

Romney will not take the chance of losing any votes. He can't afford to lose the votes from the ultraconservative base. They will not vote for a Black Man, they would, however, vote for someone they don't believe is as 'christian' as they are.

May 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Primewonk

@ Whatever – why do you claim Romney isn't a Christian? Romney states he is a Christian, and Mormonism states they are Christians.

May 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Whatever

@Prime...there is a distinct difference between the Mormon faith and the Christian faith. Mormons do call themselves Christians, but their belief system is very different.

...not that it really matters...

May 25, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  8. iAmAnAfrican

These type of rethoric remind me of speeches during Nazi Germany... lesbians, gays...(blacks, Jews, inferior...) all in the name of the Bible and Christianity. Many Christians have not yet evolved, that, I belief, is a sin.

May 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  9. larry5

Let me see if I understand this guy. He does not like gay people, right? He's got to stop the politically correct language, stop sugar coating his statements and come right out and speak his mind. It's speeches like this that tend to clarify his position and expose the quality of his character for all to see.

May 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  10. Freethinker

MAJORITY RULE, NO GAY MARRIAGE

May 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Jack

Let's take a vote right now to ban typing in all caps. Majority rule and all that.

May 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • J.W

Actually if it was majority rule there probably would be gay marriage throughout the whole country.

May 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Freethinker

DOES IT BOTHER YOU, WOW ARE YOU THAT SENSITIVE? I BET YOU ARE GAY?

May 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Freethinker

California even voted it down. JW the polls are a LIE you young ins are too naive

May 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Annrafnk

I love it when somebody gets mad when people don't agree with them. Free Speech and all, gotta love it.

May 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • sam

We took a vote, freethinker, and decided you can't vote or breed, for the good of all humanity.

May 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • J.W

That was a few years ago that CA voted it down by a slim margin and the support for it has grown since then.

May 24, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • PaulC

No....majority doesn't rule. That is why we have gov. .... to protect the minority from the abuses of the majority.

May 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

can't vote on civil rights.

May 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • sam stone

You cannot vote on other's civil rights, Fauxthinker

May 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • jungleboo

Thank you, Sam...FauxThinker. You hit the right note as I was trying in vain to come up with it.

May 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  11. murphius1118

Does anyone realize that the bible was written 2000yrs ago by a bunch of desert dwellers?? Why anyone would take anything from that book literally is beyond me. Chapters from this storybook have been selectively removed over the ages too. These so called religious guidelines have been molded over hundreds of years by humans not GOD. Educate yourselves instead of being told what's right and wrong from an ancient storybook.

All religion is a form of mental illness....

May 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Neo

Screw your blue pill, I want the green one!! Puff Puff Pass Man!

May 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
  12. ATLSWAG

THAT CHURCH MEMEBER CRACKED ME UP SAYING IT WAS ADAM & EVE NOT ADAM & STEVE LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

May 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • Susan

All they have, and all they can remember, are child-like catch phrases. Goebbels would be proud.

May 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  13. Freethinker

The guy on CNN said it right.....we can't not let these people redefine maaiage for the rest of us. It's been. This way for 5000 years......if California shot it down? Guess what? The overwhelming majority does NOT want this. Don't believe the liberal progressive cable news polls......THEY LIE

May 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • Whatever

Tell me YOUR issue with g.a.y marriage. Please.

...see, I wasn't going to talk about this issue...mine hot button issue is education...but posts like this make me unable to hold my tongue...

May 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Whatever

LOL...then I don't read my own post!

MY hot button issue is education...lol!

May 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Jack

Words are redefined all of the time. At one point "cool" only referred to temperature.

May 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Freethinker

I am a Christian (terrible I know) and I beleive it is a sin and it's a perversion and mental illness....I don't think it, I know it. 2 men can't have kids can they? Natures law and all that. I live in a country founded by Christians, it's who we are, the overwhelming majority are Christians.....I don't have to accept gay marriage and I never will. It's perverse. 1 percent of the population are gay, I want nothing to do with them......leave things the way they have been forever, it's my rit to have it that way.

May 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Freethinker

MAJORITY RULE SON. IF YOU WANT THE GAYS TO BE MARRIED GO TO FRANCE OR SOMEWHERE LIKE THAT

May 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Jack

A celebate priest can't have kids either, that's not natural.

May 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • Freethinker

Just because the anti American left wing media say its ok, doesn't mean it is......MAJORITY RULE, THIS IS A DEMOCRACY

May 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • sam

".....we can't not let these people redefine maaiage for the rest of us."

That's right. We can't not. I mean, you did read your post, didn't you? Or is the 'thinker' part of your handle a typo?

May 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • sam

Never mind. It's apparent you're an idiot.

May 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Freethinker

Yeah I did read it son......I can think what I want, I'm free.......the lefty wackos can't tell me what is right and wrong.

May 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Whatever

@Freethinker...ok...now explain to me why you aren't up in arms about divorce. Equally detestable per the Bible, right? Equally sinful, right?

...you can tell me that you have the right to not want anything to do with g.a.y people, but you have no problem accepting divorcees in your church, right? So their sin is ok? Please.

Tell me this, what is the the issue with offering equal rights to straight and g.a.y couples? Why should a g.a.y couple not be afforded the same rights as a straight couple as it relates to things like health care? I don't understand your narrow mindedness.

May 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Jack

Notice how the majority of anti gay posts reference 2 men specifically? The lack of les-bo representation is se-xist.

May 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • Freethinker

Because gays are mentally I'll and perverted, they are in need of mental care......I'm not going to acknowledge such a thing as a gay couple....all I see is 2 perverse sick people.

May 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • sam

Freethinker....'Can't not' means you think we should. Hello? Is there anyone in there? You're FOR gay marriage. Do mommy and daddy know you're on the talky box again?

May 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • Whatever

@Jack...two women isn't g.a.y...it's Cinemax.

May 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • HotAirAce

"Majority Rule" is not the final rule in most parts of the world and certainly not in America. The US Supreme Court will probably end up ruling on gay marriage and I'd bet (while recognizing that I am not a lawyer or const!tutional expert) that they will declare that any limitation on it, including state and/or federal const!tutional amendents, are not const!tutional. Some things, such as abolishing slavery and equal rights for all are just right no matter how many bigits says otherwise. It's only a matter of time before Babble Thumpers are dragged into the 21st century.

May 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • sam

@Jack – this tool spends his days thinking *long and hard* about what gay guys get up to, I bet.

May 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Mass Debater

You are free to think whatever you like, even the ignorant uninformed delusion that an invisible magic man cares about what two consenting adults do behind closed doors. The real question is, How and why does that effect you IN ANY WAY? You are not one of the consenting adults behind that door, so why should you care whether a couple can have kids or not? Do you go protest any couples in your neighborhood who are unable to have children but still decided to marry? Or maybe even decided against having any children by choice. What does it matter to you? How does letting them marry change anything about you or what you want to do with your life? This is still a question not a single Christian has been able to answer other than "It sets a bad example for my kids" or "it's icky" to which the reply is why are you not providing your children with your own role models then and to bad it's icky, so is picking your nose but I'm not trying to prevent you from doing it.

May 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Whatever

@Freethinker...you didn't answer my question. What is the problem with equal rights? I don't understand.

I know your opinions on hom.ose.xuality...you've typed it enough on here...but I don't get why you think equal rights are a bad idea. Makes no sense. You can preach your "majority rules" rhetoric all you want, but there was a time when the majority said the earth was flat, that African-Americans were not equal, and that women shouldn't vote. Those ideas died...just like this one will...

May 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Freethinker

Really Sam? That's your comeback? You know it's wrong and you have no reason for me to support you and your perversions.......run along now

May 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Freethinker

It affects all of us, I shouldn't have to explain to my kids that mr. And mr. Jones are like me and mommy. I don't acknowledge gay couples, I see mental illness, ever seen a gay pride parade? Yeah, they are sane right?

May 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • sam

'I know it's wrong'? That's it? It's not wrong. Not everyone on the planet shares your views, or agrees with the bible. This should not be news to you. You're having an adorable little fit in a comment section, so I'm not real convinced of your stability to begin with.

And quit calling people 'son', it's adding creepiness to your batshit crazy vibe.

May 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • myweightinwords

According to the most recent polls, 53% of Americans now support same-gender marriage.

And for the record, "marriage" as a practice has been redefined multiple times in the last 5000 years.

For example (at least here in the US):
      A man can no longer take two goats and a flock of baby chickens to a woman's father to purchase her.
      A man can no longer marry a 13 year old girl.
      A man can no longer ride into a neighboring city and take the woman he wants by force.
      A man can no longer sell his daughter to someone wealthier than he to feed the rest of his children.
      A man can no longer marry more than one woman.

Also to consider regarding the word "marriage"...the definition of marriage today does not:
      Prevent two people of different religions from marrying
      Prevent two people of different ethnic backgrounds from marrying
      Prevent two people of different races from marrying
      Prevent two sterile people from marrying
      Prevent two divorced people from marrying
      Prevent two elderly people from marrying
      Prevent two dying people from marrying
      Prevent two people who have been convicted of murder (or any other crime) from marrying

May 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Freethinker

Oh I know not everyone is like me, we live in a sick world......there are people like you in it, people who are immoral and perverted, like you son.

May 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Whatever

@Freethinker...I'll end our conversation with this...you're acting very ignorant here. There is no reason to deny a g.a.y couple the rights that should be extended to us all. No reason at all. If your Bible helps you sleep at night and you want to follow its rules, so be it. That doesn't mean everyone does or has any desire to. You're denying rights for no reason at all...you haven't given me one. You talk about an issue like hom.ose.xualtiy, but won't mention divorce...which is equally sinful in the Bible.

May 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Freethinker

Natures law and majority rule.....let's vote on it son. Just like California, it will be denied. Let's ban it at the federal level and shut you weirdos up

May 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • sam

It's ok, freethinker. We know that one time in college with your male roomate freaked you out a little and made you question things. You're still a big, tough manly man, don't worry. Feel free to troll on the internet to prove it. I'm sure it impresses the other kids on the short bus.

May 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm |

May 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Loki

@freethinker...

hush up, you mewling quim.

May 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Mass Debater

" I shouldn't have to explain to my kids that mr. And mr. Jones are like me and mommy. " Ah, what a great reason for denying people equal rights, because you don't want to have to explain it to your kids. I'm begining to think you are less of a freethinker and more of a Enslavedfeeler.

May 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Freethinker

Hahaha you all have NOTHING to make your case, NOTHING. Natures law, keep marriage for those who can be natural parents, it's ot my rule IT'S NATURES RULES. Hahahaha poor liberal suburban white kids. Wah wah wah wah wah

May 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • sam

That's right – all those good christians take vows, then break them by getting divorced or committing adultery. But it's ok so long as they're not gay, because THAT sure screws up marriage.

May 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • Freethinker

Divorcees can still make babies.......billy bob cannot. He's a man, not a woman you sickos

May 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • sam

....by nature's rules, you should long since be dead of something like the flu or polio, since we messed with nature by creating vaccines. You know, survival of the fittest doesn't apply anymore because we changed that. But that's ok, so long as there's nothing gay about it.

May 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • sam

...this is like arguing with a box of rocks. Actually, rocks are preferrable.

May 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"2 men and 2 women cannot pro create, which in natures law means they cannot be parents, therefore......no marriage. It takes a man and woman to make a child, which is what marriage should be about." You really are a moron aren't you.

What would the world look like if no one was able to marry unless you had the possibility of procreating? And any persons who are found to be barren would be banned from marriage as well as anyone past the age of 55, infact, why not disolve marriages after the women is no longer able to conceive?

You really have not thought out your position on this at all have you.

May 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • TransHuman

Back before they legalized gay marriage here in Massachusetts, I was a boring white suburban dad and husband. But now.... everything's faaaabulous! I'm dating Steven, and we couldn't be happier! Oh,it's just amazing how a little-itty bit of legislation can make people change their orientation, lifestyle, etc – just like that!

May 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Cq

Freethinker
      And the Christian wackos can't tell me what's right or wrong either. It's up to all of us to determine what's right or wrong for ourselves. You're free to use whatever book you want to as a guide just as everyone else is free to pick for themselves.

May 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Madtown

Freethinker
      Oh I know not everyone is like me
      -------
      Thankfully this is true. Although, the ignorant fools like freethinker certainly give us something(someone) to laugh at!!!

May 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • sam stone

freethinker: you are a bigot, plain and simple. wrap yourself up in the bible if it makes you feel more pious, but you are a garden variety bigot.

May 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • HotAirAce

And a couple of other points for ~FreeThinker, the USA is not a democracy – it's a republic. And your country's medical experts have clearly stated that sexual identity is in no way a disease or mental health issue. They have yet to rule on the mental health issues related to adults believing in unproven supernatural beings and taking books of (bad) fiction literally, but I hope they're leaning towards declaring that such beliefs are a mental defect, or the product of brainwashing that children undergo at an early age that should be stopped immediately under threat of being charged with child abuse.

Re: explaining two gays holding hands to your children, I have a similar problem trying to explain to my children why grown adults believe in god and force their children to. I try to explain that "the church" got established hundreds of years ago and does everything it can to maintain control over its sheep, despite there being not a shred of evidence for any god...

Re: gay pride parades/days, while I tend to share your view that they are extreme, and I know gays who share that opinion, part of the reason they are as extreme as they are is because “politely” asking for their rights didn’t work so they moved on to “shock value.” I’m confident that when gays are truly accepted and have the equal rights they are entitled to, the nature of Gay Pride parades/days will become less extreme.

May 24, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
  14. Realist

Don't extreme Muslim groups feel the same way about non-Muslims? The same way the Nazi party felt about Jews, the same way the Roman Catholic Church felt about non-Christians, the same way as prejudice white's feel about Black people?

As history tends to repeat itself, and the stoned should really be the stone thrower, I wonder if this guy get's caught one day with a male boy or another male adult! Happens in Congress all the time.

What kills me is the pure ignorance of the Bible's perception by some. I've never come across anything in any reputable Bible that says that we MUST judge and deliver sentencing to those who sin. I'm not for gay marriage only because of the definition of marriage as I know it, and most others know it. Give gay's the same rights as married couples, but call the ceremony something else!!

In the mean time, let's all try to ignore what goes on behind our own closed doors and focus more on how this great nation of ours is going to pull itself out the bottomless pit it's in!

We all came to this country to escape religious prosecution. It's bad enough we wiped out an entire native population to do it, but if a sin is a sin, and gay people deserve to die because of the sin, than not a single person on this planet deserves to live!

May 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Freethinker

Sure give them hospital visitation rights, things like that.....but do not allow them to put another man/woman on their healthcare plan........you're opening a whole different kind of can of worms and it smells like fraud.

May 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • giveyourheadashake

Well said Realist, well said!

May 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
  15. Nick

So as long as you say things people like, no one pays attention. But the moment you say something that "offends" people, you're demonized, vilified, and blasted by the media. You may not agree with what he says, I don't particularly, however I will fully support his right to say what he wants. That's what I love about our country. We don't have to fear speaking out in public! God bless America!

May 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • imastarchick

Its okay to say things that could incite violence? You dont see that this is part of a larger social movement and what the next level theyll take this too will be. Not a slippery slope argument, this is a known pattern of social and politicall behavior. For example for many years Hitler and the Nazis only talked crap, expressed their opinion.... no one took them seriously in the name of free speech and democratic elections.

May 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Whatever

Nick...as a former member of the Army (82nd Ariborne), I agree that freedom of speech is worth dying for. That said, this grotesque verbal attack on a group of people is uncalled for. Let me quote a great poem:

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words.
      Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
      Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
      Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
      Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

...just words today, but words that should not go unnoticed...

May 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Susan

Why is it that only people YOU like be allowed to say thing WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES? As usual, your type misses the point: NO ONE is CENSORING this bigot: we're just exercising OUR RIGHT to point out that he's a bigot. Get it?

(& we're also pointing out that he's dumber than a bag of rocks if he thinks that his suggestion is humane, much less sensible: yes, gays & lesbians do not reproduce. So where does this moron think they come from, that separating them, either from themselves or us, is going to ensure there are no more gays anymore? The sad fact is that neither he nor his followers ever actually THINK.)

May 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  16. Papasan

What we need to get rid of is religion. Stop lieing to the children now and over time we can erradicate the decease.

May 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Whatever

Prime...and here is the other side, right?

No grasp of the English language and we read this type of thing every day. Papasan is trying to get the point across that religion is the root of our issues...my contention is that education is.

Thanks for proving that point for me Papsan...unintended as it was...

May 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Annrafnk

Use spell check !

May 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • imastarchick

Whatever is correct. Religion becomes a red herring. The root of the problem is racism, intolerance, hate of others that are different. To fix thase education is the solution. "Religion" is only the delivery vehicle here, its easy to shoot it down, but you have to stop those who are sending it, driving it.

These "Christians" are no better than any other fanatics, some of which we are currently in a "war on terror" with. Funny, when we talk about Islam, Americans shout "If Islam is so great and peaceful and tolerant why dont all the moderate muslims speak out.?" Well I want to know where are the good tolerant peaceful American Christians who will shout out against the suggestions made by there extremist Brothers In Christ?

May 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Whatever

@imastarchick...they aren't going to say anything because they aren't really Christians, right? They sit in the pews on Sunday and have no clue what they're hearing. They listen to a sermon, but have zero application in their life. They rally around topics like g.a.y marriage, but ignore divorce. It's trendy. Like I've said...whatever...

May 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  17. imastarchick

Lets blame North Carolina. I know I can, my ancestors have been in Gastonia for 160 years. Ammendment One... "designed to protect the Caucasian race" has emboldened these folk. First Klan rallys in Eden, now Reidsville, now Churches spewing hate and suggesting we imprison LGTB people. Where is the outrage from the other citizens of North Carolina? Well check out withoutsanctuary.org and we will all understand that the people who say nothing are the same people who stand in the crowds and picnic, unashamed to have their photos taken, while murder is committed in the name of Christianity and saving the Caucasian race. It can happen again: withoutsanctuary.org or americanlynching.com

May 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  18. J.W

You could actually get rid of any group of people by doing what he said. If you for example put all the straight women in an electric fence and all the straight men in an electric fence they wont be able to reproduce either.

May 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • imastarchick

Yes the Nazis figured this out first.

May 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  19. Annrafnk

Well he did say he would feed them. I love that .

May 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • mandarax

I know, that's so messed up. It just shows that people have been convinced to see others ('them') as not even really human. It's like a child's perspective before they have developed the ability to empathize.

May 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Annrafnk

mandarax: I think you hit the nail on the head with that. Very well put.

May 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  20. Snape

Don't get me wrong, I hate mud-bloods as much as the next guy. But I think that the good book teaches us with the great battle of Hogwarts and the hatred shown by He-who-must-not-be-named, that Love is the real magic. It may be against my beliefs to see wizard-muggle marriage as being natural, but I have to hope that Love will find a way.

May 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |