home
RSS
May 23rd, 2012

Mixed reactions around church whose pastor’s anti-gay rant went viral

By Ismael Estrada, CNN

Maiden, North Carolina (CNN) – Just about everyone here is talking about the local pastor who made national headlines this week after a video that features him telling congregants how to “get rid of” gays went viral.

Neighbors of the Providence Road Baptist Church – where a sign advertises “old time religion” - say Pastor Charles Worley is known for being over the top, with one neighbor describing him as “fire and brimstone” whose views are out of sync with much of the surrounding community.

"I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers, but I couldn't get it past the Congress,” Worley told his church on May 13, in a video that has been seen half a million times on YouTube.

“Build a great big, large fence  50 or 100 miles long  and put all the lesbians in there,” Worley said. “Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals, and have that fence electrified so they can't get out. Feed them. And you know in a few years, they'll die out. You know why? They can't reproduce."

My Take: The Christian case for gay marriage

Some church members, who declined to give their names, defended their pastor, saying his words had been taken out of context. "He said he would feed them!" some church members told CNN, referring to the Worley’s idea for rounding up gays.

Worley “takes a real firm stand on the Bible and what it says about different things,” said church member Joe Heffner. “Whether I like it or not or whether anybody else likes it."

Another church member, who declined to give his name, said that “Being gay and lesbian or homosexual is wrong according to the Bible… it’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

My Take: The Bible condemns a lot, but here's why we focus on homosexuality

"We love the people, hate the sin, OK? Point blank,” he continued. “You need to lay off my pastor."

The pastor's sermon also attacked President Obama, with Worley saying that "I ain’t going to vote for a baby killer and a homosexual lover."

On Wednesday, the group Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed a complaint with the IRS alleging that Worley violated the rules of his church's tax-exempt status by engaging in political speech against a candidate.

“Pastor Worley’s vicious and mean-spirited assault on gays and lesbians is bad enough,” said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United. “His pulpit command that people not vote for President Obama is a violation of federal tax law. I urge the IRS to act swiftly to investigate this matter.”

Video of the sermon had initially been posted on Providence Road’s website but was recently taken down, according to CNN affiliate WBTV-TV in Charlotte. The phone line at Worley’s church has been busy since Monday night, and Worley’s home number has been busy since Tuesday.

The church’s website has also been down, but it had described the house of worship as fundamentalist, meaning it represents a Baptist tradition that's more conservative than the Southern Baptists.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Worley’s sermon was posted on YouTube by a group called Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate, which is organizing a protest at the Providence Road Baptist Church on Sunday.

Addressing his congregation last Sunday, Worley referred to his earlier controversial sermon.

"I talked a little bit, I believe it was last Sunday, on the homosexual lifestyle, and there was a whole lot of people who didn't like what I said," Worley told his congregation Sunday, according to WBTV. "I want to read it out of the Bible, and then we'll go from there."

“Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays  I didn't wanna say 'queers'  that say we don't love you, I love you more than you love yourself,” Worley said, according to WBTV. “I'm praying for you to be saved."

Worley’s initial sermon was partly framed as a response to Obama’s endorsement of same-sex marriage, which he made in a TV interview a day after North Carolina voters passed a state constitutional amendment banning legal recognition of such marriages and other types of gay unions.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, was working Tuesday to gather criticism of Worley’s comments from other North Carolina pastors.

“I am angry and sick at heart over Pastor Worley's comments,” said the Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, pastor at Open Hearts Gathering in Gastonia, North Carolina, in a statement distributed by GLAAD.

“Nothing he says has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Teall-Fleming, who leads a Disciples of Christ congregation. “I call on all Christian and Baptist organizations that have any connection with him to condemn his comments as strongly as I do, including Providence Road Baptist Church of Maiden.”

–CNN's Dan Gilgoff contributed reporting.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality • North Carolina

soundoff (1,677 Responses)
  1. MrmagooSarahbobcappuccio

This guy rocks....don't be afraid to say what you feel..haha..

May 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm |

I disagree

Proverbs 21:23
      Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.

Ephesians 4:29
      Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Matthew 7:12
      12 “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Please read the chapters and books of these verses and the whole Bible to make sure of the context.

May 24, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • mandarax

As long as you are prepared for the consequences – both socially and with regard to your tax-free status.

May 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  2. rickdday

That guy in the car using the word 'lay' is SO GAY.

May 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
  3. Jake

So if one needed life saving surgery and the only surgeon able to do it was gay, you would kill him and sentence yourself to death too? Think about it, this whole gay and religion debate is pure and unadulterated BS. Judge a man or woman by her deeds, not by some stupid insane beliefs.

May 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
  4. Jake

There is a reason a real democracy keeps religion out of government. But...we insist on injecting religion into everything in our goverment. That is NOT a democracy.

May 24, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
  5. Jake

The Taliban is alive and well here in the USA. They call themselves people of "faith". A better word would be people of "hate" instead. There is absolutely nothing Christian about hating your fellow man. Hypocrites.

May 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  6. RiadaKram

"If a man is found lying with a man, he shall be put to death."

May 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • The Truth Teller

Who died and made you king ?? Be careful for what you ask for because the same thing could be applied to you !

May 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Primewonk

So, how many gay folks have you personally killed?

May 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • read for yourself

Follow the moral instructions of the Old Testament, not the penalty:

John 8:3-7
      3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the center of the court,
      4 they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act.
      5 “Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?”
      6 They were saying this, testing Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground.
      7 But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”

May 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • read for yourself

Follow the moral commands of the Old Testament, but not the enforcement of the commands would maybe be a better way to put it, since we are all sinful.

May 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • sam

Hmm. It only says it's wrong to lay with another man. So fucking is ok, then?

May 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • jungleboo

@ read for yourself
      "We are all sinners", is that the"WE" of royalty? How clever of you and your trumpeters to have come up with the "we" part. Please refrain from including me in any aspect of the life you are leading.

If you are living day to day in a hateful state, disgusted with your sinful nature, you have your religion to blame for that, for they brainwashed you at an early intellectual age. Of course you are experiencing your own damnation, self-imposed. Stop throwing stones at everyone with WE chiseled in it. It's Weird.

May 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • read for yourself

I'm actually quite happy with my life. These verses are reassuring:

Ephesisans 2:8-10
      8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
      9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

By the way, I do not agree with the Pastor's comments. As the saying goes: hate the sin, love the sinner. He is not doing a good job of loving sinners with his comments.

Mark 12:31
      31 “The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these."

Please read Mark 12 for the full context.

May 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • jungleboo

@read
      I would venture a guess that you and yours have finally killed the thing you love. More and more people are speaking up and not having any of it.

But the self-satisfaction part is over the top. You sound quite like HAL the computer in 2001 A Space Odyssey. No emotion. Nothing but data.

May 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • read for yourself

I’m not sure where your comments are coming from, but a common tactic when losing an argument or to avoid the issue is to start attacking the person instead of dealing with the topic at hand.

As to your comments, my satisfaction is in Christ’s sacrifice for me and all who call on His name; I hope I am not coming across as self-satisfied. I also have plenty in my life to love: my Savior, family, job, neighbors, thoughtful discussion, etc.

I just find it interesting that people are discussing Christ and the Bible using shabby sinful reflections (i.e. people) instead of going to the source and taking a good look at the Bible.

May 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

I have a big problem with the whole "jesus' sacrifice" thing. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

May 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • read for yourself

HawaiiGuest – I encourage you to read the Bible to find out. Start with John or start in Genesis and read the whole Bible; it's the only place to get the answers you're looking for.

May 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

You don't get what I'm saying. Jesus is supposed to be god, so god is sacrificing himself, to himself, to atone for laws that he made himself, when (if he exists and is all-powerful, perfectly benevolent, etc.) he could just say "you're forgiven".
      I've read the bible, many times. I used to be a christian. The bible offers me nothing, and I find it to be a very disturbing book that protrays a very, hmmm, let's just say capricious diety.

May 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • read for yourself

HawaiiGuest – Pray for God to open your eyes and soften your heart. Meet with christians:

Matthew 18:20
      20 “For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”

Again, look to Jesus not His followers – we are sinful and make mistakes even as we try to follow Him.

May 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • fred

HawiiGuest
      You don’t get the sacrifice thing? Before time as we know it (i.e. before God created the heavens and the earth) God knew what would happen to Jesus and that man would sin. So, I assume the real question is why God would bother with such a plan when any of us mortals could come up with a much better plan. Why create man in the first place knowing this is where it leads?
      So, let’s start with the end game which is man and God united eternally in Christ and that is Gods purpose for us and the reason why we exist. God does this because God wants to demonstrate perfect love and unity that is the image of God and the image God placed in us. We in Christ are like Him because we see all through Christ who is one with the Father. It is Gods nature to love and give out of the goodness and holiness that is God. Gods nature does not change because perfect goodness cannot improve upon itself.
      Does this end game make sense?

May 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@read

I was a christian for a long time, attended a christian school, had christian parents, the whole works. I know the scripture, and I'm not saying I don't understand it, I'm saying it's not logical at all. It makes no sense, and it is no "sacrifice" as far as I'm concerned.

@fred

We've gone over this before, and unless you have something more than just stupid unverifiable assertions, then be quiet.

May 25, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • HawaiiGuest

@read

What happened was, I stopped going to church and kept my faith to myself at one point because I saw a lot of hypocrisy in the church. Then while reading the bible I came across two stories. One was the story of Jepthah, and I can't remember the other one right now. I found those stories to be horrible, and thought it was a mistake. I did some study and the story was as it was in the older manuscripts as well. I thought it was "out of character" for god to have such a immoral act attributed to him. I looked toward apologetics, and that was no help. So I decided to put it in gods hands while I did more research into other things that I realized were very immoral acts. Over a 2 year period of VERY fervent prayer and reflection and study, there was no sudden understanding or acceptance. I wasn't given the faith to continue to serve, and once I actually realized that because the 2 years of prayer went unanswered, I had no choice but to shrug of the religion, since my true logical and skeptical nature started to emerge. My prayers were sincere, and I often prayed merely for the strength of faith to continue on, and there was nothing.
      I'm only recounting this so that we can skip the part of "study the bible more".

May 25, 2012 at 1:33 am |
    • fred

HawiiGuest
      You misrepresent sacrifice which is why I responded to you. Since you are speaking of sacrifice made by Jesus we can only use the Bible as reference since this where you took your information. It does not matter if you believe the story or not the question is do you agree that the end game I mentioned above is how you see it and how the Bible shows it?

May 25, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • HawaiiGuest

@fred

May 25, 2012 at 2:51 am |
    • HawaiiGuest

@fred

If god supposedly saw everything that would happen, the fall of man, and whatever else, then you have just negated anything resembling free will. And I would also say that since he did nothing to change the way things had worked out, then that's just dumb. He would see all these souls supposedly sending themselves to hell, and instead of doing things differently, decides to keep it all the same la di da no big deal, so billions of souls will be tortured for eternity I don't care as long as those who will kowtow to my awesomeness are here around me telling me how awesome I am.

May 25, 2012 at 3:00 am |
    • sam stone

Wow, a quote. You don't get much more convincing than translated, edited Iron Age hearsay.

May 25, 2012 at 4:18 am |
    • read for yourself

HawaiiGuest – I'm sure I don't have a good answer for you, but Jephtah's vow was evil. He was telling the Lord he would sacrifice a human which is not what God required in the Law of Moses. God's people were spared, but Jephtah had to pay the price for his ungodly vow.

Regarding your thoughts on freewill – knowing what will happen and forcing it to happen are two different things.
      I pray the Lord will open your eyes and soften your heart

May 25, 2012 at 9:32 am |
    • Primewonk

@ read for yourself – " but Jephtah had to pay the price for his ungodly vow."

Are you fûcking nuts? Seriously? Jephtah's DAUGHTER paid the price. And why the hell would your just, loving god allowed Jephtah to make that vow in the first place. There is no way to spin this story other than your god is a sick psychotic blood thirsty putz.

May 25, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • fred

Primewonk
      You are misrepresenting the passage regarding Jephthah. If you want to attack the Bible based on a story from the Bible then we must view that story from the time period and audience it is directed at.
      First God would never violate Gods own laws and human sacrifice is an abomination to God: “You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates the pagan nations have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. (Deuteronomy 12:31)”
      Second there is no mention that God approved the vow or if Jephthah carried out that vow (reference to a life of virginity for the daughter as a legal subst-itute). Assuming he did carry it out God does allow man to do all sorts of terrible things that are not approved by God. This was Jephthah’s vow in direct contradiction to the ways and specific commands of God. God does not block our ways in all situations that God does not approve.
      Third there are important lessons in this verse on faith as God knew his daughter would come out that door first even though Jephthah expected an animal. This verse is a reminder of the various warnings in Scripture regarding making vows or oaths. By faith believers trust Gods goodness and faith is tested when God allows evil. I find it interesting that God does not tell us what became of the daughter. As with most of the Bible our heart is revealed in what we seek after and if we are looking to give God a black eye or find His truth and love then this verse will test your soul.

May 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • fred

HawiiGuest
      Sacrifice makes no sense when taken out of context which is why we need to be in agreement on what Gods play book is for our souls before moving onto sacrifice.
      You said: “The "end game" wouldn't make any sense either. Why require death? Why not just forgive people? Why go through all the idiocy of actual existence if he knew what would happen before then. Why not create the souls as they would be at the end? So many holes and no answers.”
      =>does this mean you agree with the presentation of the end game as I summarized or not? The holes without answers you refer to are dependent upon how we view that end game.
      =>You have moved onto your disagreement with different aspects of the game. When you play a game to win you really need to know the finish line or you will run about aimlessly. Let’s see if we can at least agree on what the finish line is as presented in the story.

May 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • Primewonk

I'm sorry Fred, but that's just more fûcking bûllshît. Your god started it by telling Abraham to sacrifice his own son. Your god claims both omnipotence and omniscience. When Jephtah first made the vow to torch the first thing he saw if god let him win the fight, god could have said, "No, don't do that". Your god could have let Jephtah not win the fight. But he didn't do that either. Your god could have caused a goat or bull, or even a slave show up first to Jephtah – bit your god didn't do that either. Jephtah could have been told by god to not murder his own kid. But he didn't do that either.

You, like most ignorant fundiots try and spin this so that it doesn't have to mean what it obviously means. That you have chosen to worship a sick, sadistic, psychotic, schizophrenic, putz of a god.

May 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • fred

Primewonk
      “ Your god started it by telling Abraham to sacrifice his own son”
      =>actually goes back farther than that as God sacrificed the first animal when Adam and Eve rejected God. Prior to that there was no death in the Garden before God covered their nakedness with the skin of an animal. There is penalty for sin and it is death. Death is separation from God. It is symbolic and clear so that no one could say they did not get it.
      “if god let him win the fight, god could have said, "No, don't do that".
      =>there is no reference that God accepted or acknowledged the vow. God even allowed the Babylonians then Cyrus to carry out Gods plan for Israel’s salivation.
      “Your god could have let Jephtah not win… caused a goat… show up first…god didn't do that either.”
      =>as I said God is responsible for allowing it. Now, we are second guessing as to a better result when we cannot see into the past or the future which makes no sense. What if Stalin was never born, etc. There are three main thoughts on this verse one is that law allowed a virgin daughter to be set aside for life time service to God (giving up her life) for example. Personally, I take it as it is to show us that vows are a serious matter, our knowledge is very limited, God can use anyone to win battles yet not approve the man, human sacrifice by man is wrong and never approved by God (God never said it and never approved it) and we are held accountable for our actions.

May 28, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  7. The Truth Teller

See this is why you keep these nuts out of the government , I for one am a straight ! Having said that I have relatives that are gay and I know that they had to have been born that way ! If they were straight they could get any man or woman but to hear a preacher say things like that makes me so angry ! A word of advise to all that wish to do harm to gay's and lez , Me as a straight person will fight you , this type of battle you can not win , I love my relatives very much and I would do harm to anybody that would try to hurt Mame or as this preacher says round them up and stick them inside some kind of fence and drop food to them as if they were animals , How about this , we can deport you to a island and let you starve this man is a waste of good air !

May 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • jungleboo

Thank you for speaking up. Many straight men and women have gay friends and relatives that they are just learning about. My sister's next door neighbor (a 61 yrs. old widow) sat at our table just last week and confessed that she had never met a gay person until my sister introduced us that evening. We had a wonderful night of free, philosophical talk, the kind of talk she said she had never allowed herself. She went home very happy and relaxed. And I was happy to have taught her something valuable that she will build the rest of her life on, and well as pass it on to others.

May 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • read for yourself

His comments were misguided at best, inflammatory at worst as we have seen. Don't condemn Christ because of sinful man:

Mark 12:28-31
      28 One of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, “What commandment is the foremost of all?”
      29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord;
      30 and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’
      31 “The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

May 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • jungleboo

@ read "His comments were misguided at best, inflammatory at worst as we have seen. Don't condemn Christ because of sinful man"

No one is condemning Christ. However, you as His spokesmodel are doing an awfully poor job making "Him" look good. Truth Teller spoke from his heart, and you have the b*lls to comment that his post was misguided. You are cookoo in da head.

May 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • read for yourself

I apologize, the 'he' I was referring to was Pastor Charles Worley. Sorry for the confusion.

May 24, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
  8. read for yourself

-Romans 1:25-28
    -25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
    -26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,
    -27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
    -28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,

-Leviticus 18:22

-1 Timothy 1:8-11

Read the full chapters, books & the Bible for complete context. Read it for yourself.

May 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • read for yourself

CNN wouldn't post 1 Timothy 1:8-11; you'll have to look it up for yourself.

May 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • Lesliee

"But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from men; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in." Matthew 23:13.

May 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • Primewonk

Leviticus 20:13 – If a man has sĕxual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death;

So, how many have you killed? Your god commands you to do this. What are you waiting for?

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and răpes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Are you doing this? How many young girls have you forced to marry their attackers?

Do you want to keep going?

May 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • read for yourself

Christians are people and sinful and can be hypocritical, don't condemn Christ because of people. Go to the source, read the Bible.

John 3:16
      "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that
      whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

Romans 5:8 tells us that God loved us so that "when we were in our sin
      Christ Jesus came to die for us."

Romans 3:23
      "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"

Romans 6:23
      "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in
      Christ Jesus our Lord."

Second Corinthians 5:21 says, "He who knew no sin became sin for us, that
      we may be made the righteousness of God through Him."

Romans 10:9-10
      "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart
      that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a
      person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he
      confesses, resulting in salvation."

Romans 10:13
      "for Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."

May 24, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • jungleboo

@ read for yourself
      -Leviticus 18:22
      -22 ‘You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

Sweetheart, if people were having too good a time back then and not doing their duty building up the tribe population by procreating, well what did you expect Him to say? They needed every warm body they could conceive, to be the biggest strongest tribe ever! That is no longer on anybody's mind.

Or how about this? If God is all about the missionary position for men and women, is he OK with sixty nine for us guys?
      (apologies to career readers, that's a re-post, but it makes me laugh.)

May 24, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • read for yourself

Primewonk – That commandment was before Christ's sacrifice. I follow the moral instructions of the Old Testament, but since I am sinful I have no right to judge.

John 8:3-7

May 24, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • Primewonk

@ read for yourself –

Real biblical scholars (the ones who actually do the research without preconcieved notions) say that your prostîtute story in John is a fake. It is not in the original manuscripts. It was edited in much later.

Also, your Jesus says several times that the laws and rules of the OT would remain in place until the heaven and earth pass away. All you need to dom is ask youself, "Is the earth still here?" If your answer is yes, then the OT rules are in play.

So, again, how many gay folks have you personally killed, as your god commands. Even your idiot Muslim cousins who worship the same god and have the same rules, have the balls to obey your god's command to kill gays.

May 25, 2012 at 9:50 am |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

If you believe that the OT is no longer to be used then there is no basis for sin in your religion. No sin means that your Jesus character sacrificed himself for no reason. No sacrifice, no xtianity. You've just disproved your own religion.

May 25, 2012 at 9:58 am |
  9. mandarax

"The human psyche has two great sicknesses: the urge to carry vendetta across generations, and the tendency to fasten group labels on people rather than see them as individuals. Abrahamic religion gives strong sanction to both – and mixes violently with both...Those of us who have for years politely concealed our contempt for the dangerous collective delusion of religion need to stand up and speak out. Things are different now (since September 11). All is changed, changed utterly." Richard Dawkins

May 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  10. Mike

Hey CNN, when will show the radical Muslims speaking Death to Americans....Huh???

CNN is trash, it picks the extremist in attempt to make that the norm....

Hey CNN, broadcast the black panthers rhetoric hate speech toward "whitie"

May 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • Lesliee

Talk about picking out the extremists: Did it ever occur to you to look in a mirror?

May 24, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
  11. Reality

Dear Pastor "Not So Bright"/"Gay Neck" Worley,--->>>>>>

(ONLY FOR THE NEW MEMBERS)

o "Abrahamics" like you believe that their god created all of us and of course that includes the g-ay members of the human race. Also, those who have studied ho-mo-se-xuality have determined that there is no choice involved therefore ga-ys are ga-y because god made them that way.

1. The Royal College of Psy-chiatrists stated in 2007:

“ Despite almost a century of psy-choanalytic and psy-chological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heteros-exual or hom-ose-xual orientation. It would appear that s-exual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of ge-netic factors and the early ut-erine environment. Se-xual orientation is therefore not a choice.[60] "

2. "Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fe-tal brain develops during the intraut-erine period in the male direction through a direct action of tes-tosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hor-mone surge. In this way, our gender identi-ty (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and s-exual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender ident–ity or s-exual orientation."[8

3. See also the Philadelphia Inquirer review “Gay Gene, Deconstructed”, 12/12/2011. Said review addresses the following “How do genes associated with ho-mose-xuality avoid being weeded out by Darwinian evolution?”

(Note: some words hyphenated to defeat the moderators "secret" word/fragment filter.)

May 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
  12. Damian

It is so sad that the people in that video seem utterly confused when asked some rather simple questions by the media. The "lay-off-my-pastor" guy. Did he even graduate high school? And, yes, we'd love to lay off your pastor. Permanently end his career.

May 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • mandarax

I like how he is gesturing with his hand against the steering wheel as if he is patiently explaining some nuanced perspective, "Now you see it's Adam and Eve.......not Steve........not Adam and Steve.........understand?"

I grew up with kids like him – he's lacking in most everything but confidence.

May 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  13. Damian

It is so sad that the people in that video seem utterly confused when asked some rather simple questions by the media. The "lay-off-my-pastor" guy...did he even graduate high school? And, yes, we'd love to lay off your pastor. Permanently end his career.

May 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  14. eell

Has anywone seen my blue sock?

May 24, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • Mom

Did you look under your bed, like I told you to?!?!

May 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Other Mom

Didin't I tell you to clean up this pig sty?

May 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • Jack

I "borrowed" it. I don't think you want it back.

May 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • jungleboo

Oh, Jack! Tttt.

May 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  15. Guest

I meant no one sits on higher ground at the foot of the Cross.

May 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

You're making no sense. Take your meds.

May 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  16. TheTokenSquare

Your ignorance and hypocrisy are palpable "Freethinker" (I cringe to think someone so locked up would use your tag). The US is not a democracy – it is a republic. BIG difference! It was created as such specifically to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority (as you advocate). Now you scream "Majority Rules" ... thinking somehow rights should be voted on; but if your precious religion (which I support your right to hold) ever becomes the minority – then where will your voice be? You will have no right to stand up when the majority removes your religion from you! Check the stats – the Muslim's are growing worldwide. Are you afraid? With your logic, you should be. You're calling for a theocracy here, not a democracy; and that makes you a Christian jihadist, no philosophically different than the terrorists who killed thousands on 9/11 in the name of their God. I say let people exercise their free will and let God sort out the sinners; which your bible commands and you'd do if you had any real faith in it (or Him).

May 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • ladybrenwyn

oohhh be careful Token. Clear, reasoned, accurate statements are not often recognized / well received – let alone considered – by those who say please do not confuse me with such.

May 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

Faith is belief without justification. Sorry, I cant live my life that way. You can keep your delusions and I will live in the real world.

May 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • I3raveHeart

KO!

May 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  17. Guest

No one sits at the foot of the Cross.
    People like that "Pastor" are only giving Jesus a bad name.

May 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

as if giving Jesus a bad name was hard he does it to him self,.. like how he maliciously killed that fig tree,.. or how he desecrated that holy temple,.. or what about that whole i come to divide family,....

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law 36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.

yup traditional families their "agin" it

May 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

that in Mathew 10 you know on of the 4 gospels,... good news every one i came to divide your family

May 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  18. Just Another Crazy Christer

Reminds me of Ted Haggard. And I think we all know how THAT turned out!

May 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • mandarax

There's a great scene in a BBC series called "The Root of All Evil" in which Ted Haggard throws Richard Dawkins off church property for being blasphemous. It was filmed shortly before Haggard was caught with the male prostitute.

You should check out the series on YouTube – if nothing else it makes you realize how much more progressive the BBC is than PBS. You could never get away with that here in Jesusland.

May 24, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  19. Guest

Why must these horrible people constantly force their lifestyle choice down my throat?
    I am sick and tired of those people always preaching their beliefs and views and trying to convert me.
    Damn religious types.Believing in a thousand year old myth is your choice,not mine.
    You werent born that way and I refuse to accept it.

May 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Phil

While I do agree with the statement about not pushing ones beliefs down someone elses throat, i do disagree with you singling out Christians in this case. Do some Christians do that? Yes without a doubt, however the bottom line is there are people from every side that do that. Republicans, Democrats, Christians, Muslims, Gay, Straight, whatever, they all do it. People are people, and some people are jerks. There is no reason to single out a group of people because of the choices of a few. Using that same logic you could say all of the human race is genocidal by looking at figures such as Hitler and Stalin.

May 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  20. Brad

I'm still confused by his proposal. He's basically claiming that being gay is hereditery, because he claims that you can rid the world of it by letting 'them' die out and not reproduce. But, he would need to put their parents in there too, being that the union that created the gay person in the first place might theoretically produce another gay child. So, how can you tell who goes into the fenced area? You'd still have to keep your eyes peeeled because straight couples do produce gay children from time to time. Sorry, Pastor, but it's a fact.

May 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

I think that you mean that straight couples produce gay chilideren almost ALL the time.

That guy is nutz.

May 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • Jack

It's kinda funny that his argument would recquire that being gay is not a choice.

May 24, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • TheTokenSquare

Damn Brad! You're absolutely right. It is either inherited (meaning it isn't a choice) and then the pastor can rid the world of this sin by placing all gay people and their parents in these death camps; or it isn't inherited (and it is a choice) in which case his proposal wouldn't work at all, because some of the nice "Christian" types still outside the death camp might fall and choose iniquity instead of God. Ouch ... he contradicts himself and in fact argues against himself.

May 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • mandarax

I think all of you understand the implications on a level he is not capable of.

May 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • ladybrenwyn

But it of course must be a matter of choice. If not it is genetics. And where do our genes come from? Parents. Uh oh. Since it is an abomination, Christian parents can't possibly be responsible. Therefore it has to be the choice of the child alone. Otherwise it must be a defective gene (the fallback position for the future). And science to the contrary is wrong. Really.

May 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Lesliee

LadyB, you are incoherent.

May 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm |