home
RSS
Business site raises eyebrows by asking 'Why Do Some People Hate Jews?'
Business Insider CEO and Editor-in-Chief Henry Blodget in New York earlier this year.
May 30th, 2012

Business site raises eyebrows by asking 'Why Do Some People Hate Jews?'

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - The Business Insider, a popular business-focused news website, posted a curious headline on its site: “Why Do Some People Hate Jews?”

Tuesday's headline and accompanying blog post, from Business Insider CEO and Editor-in-Chief Henry Blodget, wound up turning a lot of heads. The avalanche of response and criticism prompted Blodget - a high-profile former Wall Street analyst - to revise his headline and offer explanations/defenses of his post throughout the day.

“Along with many other sites, this site is occasionally visited by people whose mission in life appears to be to express hatred of Jews,” Blodget wrote in his original post. “And hatred of Jews has obviously been an ongoing theme worldwide for centuries.

“What is the source of this animosity? Why does it perpetuate itself? Where did this prejudice come from?”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The query drew plenty of tongue wagging from many corners of the Internet. “That’s right, there sure is nowhere better to suss out the reasoning behind one of the greatest attempted genocides of our modern times than in an Internet comments section,” Mediaite jested in a post that seethed disapproval.

“Is this how websites get traffic now?” Mediaite writer Jon Bershad continued. “Should Mediaite’s next slideshow be 'Top 10 Stereotypes About Black People'?"

Later Tuesday, Blodget updated his piece with a new headline, “What Are the Sources of Anti-Semitism?” explaining the initial headline “made a lot of people angry ...  (s)o I changed it.”

Blodget also subbed out the original photo, which he characterized as featuring a pair of “jovial Orthodox Jews,” with a picture of Jewish actress Natalie Portman. He wrote that some readers found the original photo “needlessly provocative.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

By day’s end, Blodget offered his seventh update, saying that he wish he’d never published the piece. “Whatever interesting responses came from the post, I now regret writing it,” Blodget wrote. "I am very sorry to anyone I offended. I sincerely apologize.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism

soundoff (1,236 Responses)
  1. apotropoxy

Why do some people hate Jews?
    Tradition

May 30, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  2. Steve

Jews ask themselves this question daily. Often hourly and sometimes by the minute.

May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  3. Jim

It's only those who identify with "peaceful, love-not-hate liberals" who would like nothing more than to see Iran get nukes and harm come to Israel.

May 30, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Huebert

I'm a "peaceful love-not-hate liberal" and personally i would like nothing more than to see all nukes disappear from the world. You do know what peaceful means don't you?

May 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Satan

You're late for your meds again, Jim

May 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  4. Thomas Judas

Hate is a strong word. Many non-historians still believe the Jews killed Jesus. I dislike Jews with thier stupid hair-do's and hats, I dislike the priest and nuns walking around in thier dresses, I dislike Muslims showing off thier faith by wearing sheets, I dislike the Amish or any Christian's walking around like they just got off a 1840's wagon train.
    Faith is a private thing between you and the sky pilot. Keep it out of our faces and we won't know you are a JEW.

May 30, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • steve

As long as you keep your atheism out of sight as well.

May 30, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • MennoKnight

Wow you are just a bowl full of fun aren't you. Hating people how they dress? So what is your dress code my friend? Who made up your idea of what is right to wear on what is offensive?
      I am a Mennonite sitting at my computer wearing a team USA hockey jersey. Do I meet your criteria oh great one of fashion design?
      Grow up.

May 30, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • MennoKnight

Oh, and the Jews did not kill Jesus, the Romans did.

And if I remember right, Jesus was a Jew, his disciples were Jews, as were most of the early church leaders.

And Paul writes that everyone who ever sinned killed Jesus. That makes the group pretty broad now doesn't it.

I love Jews.
      From a Born Again Mennonite Christian.

May 30, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Lynne

You hate Jews for their "stupid hair-dos" -as if that would keep them safe if they would dress like everyone else and look like everyone else? In fact, most Jewish people do look like everyone else with only a small percentage of them dressing in an orthodox way, but that has historically kept them safe. Across Europe, the Nazis and their European collaborators dilgently studied records to find any trace of Jewish ancestors in a person's past.
      Anti-semitism is a sickness, and I have been shocked to find how widespread it is among liberals. Always considered myself a liberal, but not any more.

May 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Steve

Lynne's a neo-con, meaning a Jew whose Gentile leftist allies wandered off the plantation.

May 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • JonfromLI

And I dislike the Atheists and Agnostics who think they're better than the rest of the population of the world.

May 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • MennoKnight

Lynne,
      Great point

May 30, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Bob

I dont care what your personal religon is. I try to "judge" a person by his own merits.( I try not to judge because I am no better than anyone else) Too many good people are being thrown under the bus because they dont believe in the same religon (or dont believe in religon at all) Too many bad people are defended because they clame to be a believer and GOD is on their side.
      Good , careing people are hard enough to find without looking for something about them to hate

May 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Congregation for The Doctrine of Deceit

@MennoKnight. the jews were not allowed to kill anyone anymore than you or i are. they had to take it to the "sheriff"i.e. Romans where they bore false witness and demanded the death sentence. so familiar. much like their recent manipulations and demands that the USA attack Iran

May 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  5. Sandon Mibut

I think they're not liked because of their Jew-claw. And the horns. We should really throw them all in a well. Then we'll have a big par-tee.

May 30, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • steve

Pig.

May 30, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • Dan S

Which century are you living in, you imbecile, with your pre-medievil thinking?

May 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • BGko

I guess Steve and Dan have never seen Borat. I got it at least.

May 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  6. Jason Truthbetold

The reason why people hate the Jewish people and the Jewish nation is simple. They were God's chosen people. God made a promise to Abraham, and that promise was ultimately the Kingdom of Messiah here on Earth. Satan has tried to destroy them any way possible throughout the ages to ultimately prevent the Kingdom. Its no coincidence that this is happening. Why do you think that the Jews as an ethnic people still exist to this day? Why do you think that Israel exists to this day. If you need proof for God its right there, Proof in Israel. This is all foretold in the pages of the scripture

May 30, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • sbp

You aren't helping.

May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Joshua

Umm, I think we were thinking in more sociological terms versus magical thinking, but I guess there's your explanation too.

May 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Mork

Really? What if my religion disagrees with yours?

May 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • joe d

murder some more Palestinians..pig...chosen pigs

May 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Sidney

They don't call it the greatest "story" ever told for nothing...

May 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Topher

Actually, I think it's a good point. Look at the persecution these people have endured. And I don't just mean by the Nazis. Look at their history. If any people group has had the odds stacked against them, it's the Jews. But God has protected them because they were the chosen people whom He would bring the Messiah. And now they even have their land back.

May 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • magnus

God hates jews. He killed them in the Holocaust but the jews still go back for more torture. God is an evil force and the Jews dont get it.

May 30, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  7. MennoKnight

I wonder how long it will be until the Jews are blamed for the fall of the Euro?

It couldn't be that we spent more than we took in for a generation and didn't pay our taxes, could it?

It amazes me that the Jews get blamed for everything and how many people fall for it!

May 30, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • joe d

you reap what you sew..funny how it's all a conspiracy theory until it's prove true..
      jews have the greates alibi for everthing..."it's aconspiracy" a canard, anti-semitsm, the hollowcost..
      don't you people take any reponsiblilty for anything wrong you do...makes me puke

May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • sbp

The word is SOW, Einstein. Oh, sorry for calling you a Jewish name. I meant Moron.

May 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • MennoKnight

Wow, your a piece of work aren't you?

I bet it is the Jew's fault that we are in such a debt too eh? It has nothing to do with the fact that for two generations we spent more than we took in in taxes eh? No, it it the Jew's fault. Yeah right...

May 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Dan S

Thank you!!

May 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  8. Shady

First off I'm Jewish. But I can totally see and understand why people hate Jews. If I was put on this earth as a destined loser, it's only natural that I hate on the people who educate and work themselves to the top. I smell you democrats from a mile away

May 30, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Marc L

I thought I was the only conservative Jew around. Shalom!

May 30, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Huebert

Troll harder child.

May 30, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • magnus

Shady masterbates alot.

May 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • David

Let me guess, during passover you were the wicked child !?

May 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  9. Marc L

The guy attempts to have a reasonable discussion and even that is criticized. What the hell is wrong with everybody? Has anybody ever heard of intent? Whether it is anti semitism, racism, it doesn't matter. If you want answers, you have to ask questions.

May 30, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  10. Mike

Because Jesus was the biggest Jew. People hate who they worship, thats how they justify their thirst for death.

May 30, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  11. Osama Abdallah

Let me answer this question as to why do some (or many) hate the "Jews" (Zionists is really the more proper term):

1- There is a difference between a Jew practicing Judaism in peace and minding his own business in their Temple/Synagog, and a Zionist or an evil Jew who plots in the lands and creates tumult and mischief.

2- Zionists or Evil Jews were 100% behind 9/11. The WTC towers were hit by remote-controlled airplanes, which were controlled from Tower 7, which is why it was brought down (they pulled the plug on it, remember?). There was no airplane found in the PA field, and the Pentagon was clearly and indisputably hit by a drone or a missile, and not a Jumbo Jet.

3- Zionists or Evil Jews were behind both World War I and II. They controlled the financial system in Europe, and still do throughout the world, and they intentionally caused for Europe to go into chaos.

4- Israel is one of the worst racist states in the world! And it is very cruel and harsh on the poor Palestinians.

There are ample more reasons one could provide. But I think you get the picture here.

May 30, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • steve

Take your jihad somewhere else, nobody listens to your hate and bile and lies.

May 30, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Mike

Rabbi Jesus will deal with the Jew haters with an eternity in the Hell they created.

May 30, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Marc L

And you really believe this? That is kind of funny. The Zionists were behind WWII? They were responsible for their own slaughter?

May 30, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • sbp

I know you think you are helping your cause, but these conspiracy theories are so devoid of logic no one will ever listen to you.

May 30, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Conrad Shull

Move to Syria, donkey.

May 30, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • Just Joe

Disgusting, racist, bigot.

May 30, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Pat F

You are a blasphemer to slander the original people of the Book. May Allah forgive you.

May 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • magnus

Osama Abdallah, you need to masterbate more often. lighten up

May 30, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Gordon

Yep, we did it. We did it all. I thought we covered our tracks better than that. Osama Abdallah, there is no hiding from your brilliant detective work. Gosh, mister, I'm really sorry and I know my Jewish friends are too. I'm turning myself in, now.

May 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Osama Abdallah

The WTC twin towers fell on the ground in 6 seconds, each. This is a free fall speed; meaning that if you were to drop a fall from the the of their roof, it would take 6 seconds to hit the ground. NO WAY THEY WOULD'VE CAME DOWN IF IT WASN'T VIA CONTROLLED DEMOLITION. This is why 2 weeks prior to 9/11, secrete service group entered the buildings, disabled the cameras there and did secretive work in the buildings. I've seen the testimonies of the some of the guards on Youtube. 9/11 was a lie, and it was a zionist/jewish work. Plain and simple. Watch LOOSE CHANGE ON YOUTUBE.

May 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Doug

You are quoting You Tube as a source? Anyone with an engineering background believe in the weakening of trusses combined with tons of concrete causing collapse? A secret service went in the building, disabled cameras, planted bombs, etc? And for what reason anyway? To promote a war in Iraq and Afghanistan? Iraq actually was a balance of crazy to Iran. Now it is left unchecked.

May 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
    • Eumir

OSAMA ABDALLAH = pathetic-anus

May 30, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • I M Drunk

Uh...Yes...I certainly get the picture all right,....

May 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • AL

asalam walakum akhi osama. You can't get to peoples head cause the t.v. told them otherwise.

May 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • len

thats the dumbist statement that I have read in quite awhile!

May 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  12. joe d

what they did to this guy just proves why they are hated so much........

May 30, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Huebert

And you can draw this conclusion because this article cited the ethnic background of everyone who commented on the original authors blog.

May 30, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Pat F

"What they did to this guy" – yeah, poor pitiful him, this faux controversy got more traffic and ad dollars to his site in one day than in its entire history.

That is what I love about anti-Semitic pig-cr*p like you – you're SUCH victims, poor poor baby, everyone is always picking on you. Grow up for God's sake, and get out of your parent's basement.

May 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  13. FactsRBad

It is far more convenient – and less painful – to blame others for a failed life than to take personal responsibility. While Jews are certainly not alone in this regard, they place a premium on education and have been successful as a result. This causes resentment. Jews have always been – and will remain an easy target for haters.

May 30, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  14. RoboCarrot

Many people have wondered whence come the waves upon waves of musical slush that invade decent homes and set the young people of this generation imitating the drivel of morons. Popular music is a Jewish monopoly. Jazz is a Jewish creation. The mush, slush, the sly suggestion, the abandoned sensuousness of sliding notes, are of Jewish origin.

Monkey talk, jungle squeals, grunts and squeaks and gasps suggestive of calf love are camouflaged by a few feverish notes and admitted in homes where the thing itself, unaided by scanned music," would be stamped out in horror. The fluttering music sheets disclose expressions taken directly from the cesspools of modern capitals, to be made the daily slang, the thoughtlessly hummed remarks of school boys and girls.

Is it surprising that whichever way you turn to trace the harmful streams of influence that flow through society, you come upon a group of Jews? In baseball corruption – a group of Jews. In exploitative finance – a group of Jews. In theatrical degeneracy – a group of Jews. In liquor propaganda – a group of Jews. In control of national war policies – a group of Jews. In control of the Press through business and financial pressure – a group of Jews. War profiteers, 80 per cent of them – Jews. Organizers of active opposition to Christian laws and customs – Jews.

In this miasma of so-called popular music, which combines weak-mindedness with every suggestion of lewdness – again Jews.

The Jewish influence on American music is without doubt regarded as serious by those who know anything about it. Not only is there a growing protest against the Judaization of our few great orchestras, but there is a strong reaction from the racial collusion which fills the concert stage and popular platform with Jewish artists to the exclusion of all others. If they were superior artists, nothing against it could be said; they are only better known and racially favored in Jewish musical circles.

May 30, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • steve

Bigot.

May 30, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Jim

Huh?? Where do you dig up this junk?

May 30, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • Josh

Who let out the troll?

May 30, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • joe d

BINGO!...spot on

May 30, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Thomas Judas

Yup! Dick Dale and the Del-tones, Surfdom's greatest band performed the California rendition of the Jewish songs Misurlou and Havanagila. Like the movie Pulp Fiction it made me want to do drugs and kill people. Damn those Jew's.

May 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Pat F

What is it like when everyone disagrees with you and thinks you're a Neanderthal moron?

May 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • magnus

what the heck are you talking about?

May 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • Congregation for The Doctrine of Deceit

blib blab bloopity bloop?

May 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  15. joe d

1)because they destroy everthing they touch...thier bad out weighs the little good they have done...
    ever since wev'e been coddeling them like the mental retarded red-headed stepchild that they are,
    the country's been going down the drain..they are finacial terrorists and the main reason for 9/11..
    they have been kicked out of most countries and for good reason..the US will be next.
    2)they murdered 28 of our servicemen on the USS Liberty
    3)false flag with the Lavon Affair
    4)Financial terrorism on Wall St
    5)9/11
    6)They have milked all of the money for homeland security since 9/11
    7)pollard
    8)AIPAC foreign turds controlling congress
    9)the genocide of tens of thousands Palestinians
    10)selling our weapon tech to China
    11)pentagons office of special plans
    12)bogus intel on Iraq just like iran
    13)crystol,wolfowitz,pearl,kagan,feith,greespan,brenner,sumner,emanual,rubin,israel first dirtbag neocons
    the list goes on and on an on..the world is sick of these professional whiners,
    liars, extorsionists, beggars and thieves...Israel the worst investment in U.S. history and
    unfortunately the majoraty of israel first ews are a part of that and are untrusworthy

AIPAC/israel/AIPAC owned congress=9/11

May 30, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • JM

....wow...

And now the question is: How many crazy people 'are there' in America???

May 30, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • steve

Hateful bigot.

May 30, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Josh

Hitler called, you're getting a promotion...moron.

May 30, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • joe d

the truth hurts....get over it....and prove me wrong

May 30, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Jim

There IS such a thing as discourse but what you and that other dweeb wrote above show absolutely NO sense, no reasoning in the least about what you say. None.

May 30, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • RUserious

joe, take your meds and go back under your rock. That will be the safest place for you and your paranoia.

May 30, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Huebert

Got it. You hate Jews because you require a scapegoat to blame the worlds problems on because you are to simple minded to understand that all of those issues you cited had multiple interacting causes.

May 30, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Sad but True

Joe d

you want me to go item by item why you are wrong or point out the most ridiculous one that kills all credibility.... 9/11. It's also sadly telling that you can't tell the different between jews and israeli's. They have overlap but are not the same thing my friend. Let go of your hate, your bad info and one day you might actually accomplish something worthwhile in this life.

May 30, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Josh

".Israel the worst investment in U.S. history" To be honest I shouldn't even try to reply because this poster is so out of his mind...that said for those readers that's aren't frothing idiots... Israel is one of the major sources of tech (cell phone was invented in part there) as well as the worlds largest manufacturer of generic drugs. Ya know, so people that aren't rich can still have medicine. But yeah, what have they done lately?...

May 30, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • joe d

waaaaah waaaaah whine wimper....pesonal attacks....learn somthing from your own history maggots..or it will repeat itself again....and you know it

May 30, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Mike, Albany

The problem is, Joe, that the people about whom you are spouting so much hatred and vitriol are simply better than you could ever hope to be. Ask yourself where science would be without Albert Einstein, Richard Feynman, Lise Meitner, Rosalind Franklin, and many others. The state of human knowledge would be much poorer if these people never existed. Where would be we if "joe d" never existed? I don't think it would make one bit of difference.

May 30, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Mike, Albany

Let's not forget Tullio Levi-Civita, Murray Gell-Mann, Steven Weinberg, Lev Landau, I. I. Rabi, and Fritz Haber to name just a few. These people all accomplished great things. So what have you done?

May 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • joe d

I love it.....you people are pathtic, blind and stupid..obviously israel fisrt dirtbags. pretty sad when turds like you would throw 300 million Americans under the bus for 6 million ungrateful backstabbing turds in israel....you reap what you sew
      wake up "TRUE" Americans

May 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Pat F

We all disagree with you, Joe D, millions of us think you are brain-damaged to hold these thoughts, or maybe really just evil. Do us a favor and go live somewhere else – amongst others of your kind. You are not an American.

May 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Mike, Albany

Hey, Joe, how old are you? I'm just curious to know how much longer your excruciatingly useless existence on this planet will drag on? How much longer will you continue to consume our resources without giving anything of measurable value back to society? Maybe you could do us all a favor and terminate your existence. If you did, you would be helping all of humanity because the world we be a better place without you.

May 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • joe d

waaaaah waaaaah whine whine i love it...AIPAC pimple faced pigs out in force

May 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • clarence

joe d is right. the jews refer to noam chomsky as a "self-loathing jew" – chomsky is a hero for saying it as it is. another hero is charles ferguson, producer of "no end in sight" "inside job" and author of a new book called "predator nation" which chronicles the destruction of this great country by the corporate elite. it's hard to see the truth amidst all of the screaming, but there are plenty of israeli jews who agree that what their country is doing to the palestinians is no different that what the 3rd reich did during ww2.

May 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • magnus

joe D, you should remove your right fist from your butt to make it easier for you to type.

May 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • Richs

Us Jews make up 1% of the pop of the US. How can we control everything?

May 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Doug

Okay Joe, you want to give proof, go ahead. List each one of your statements and then back it up with information that can be fact checked from a reputible source (not some yahoo on youtube). Let's see legal indictments, let's see money trails from Homeland Security, let's see plans from Pentagon Special Ops.

May 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Colt46

Joe, I hope you understand that you have played into the hands of the Jews.. All the garbage you have read, was written by Jews for profit – It was first written as a Joke, but then we realized this can be monetized....If you want to really get rid of the Jewish influence in your life. You may want to burn all our possessions ( because one way or another we had something to do with them, including the computer you are spreading your hate on) and live on the streets of bumflip, Nebraska and make sure when you are begging for loose change, you don't accept any Jewish Gelt.

May 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Tucson Attorney

You forgot to include the name of the Jewish scientist in Israel that invented the medical device that will one day save your worthless life. Better it had not been invented,

May 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Congregation for The Doctrine of Deceit

the truth but that won't matter to the zionists. all that just "proves" you're anti-semitism see which makes you a liar telling the truth.

May 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Story

Depends on the type of mission trip.For saerttrs, it's illegal to solicit others on the street to convert to another religion. Whether it be Christianity, Islam, or even Judaism. Privately, it's obviously okay, but it's not something allowed in the public sphere.If you are doing the type which is more like building an orphanage or hospital, like I commonly hear from others who do such in Latin America, then that's fine.The active and violent reactions come from the more religious spheres, which are kinda secluded in their own spaces. In Jerusalem, you might get close to some, but everywhere else you'd know that you don't have much of a chance converting anyone. And it's less active and violent as it is yelling and screaming, which is scary but mostly you'll be fine physically. Messianic Jews do experience some discrimination in Israel. It's not that bad, and they live fully functioning lives. The problem is the word "Jew", which other Jews don't like them using. For saerttrs, there is the idea that Jews don't worship Jesus, and it's a dividing line, so they just aren't Jews to begin with. Nonetheless, most Israelis are perfectly fine with them, so there really isn't to worry about.Once again, don't actively seek out converts and proselytize in Israel, since it's illegal, but for whatever reason you are there, it's always a good idea to tour the Holy Land anyway.References :

July 31, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  16. Sad but True

What burns my toast is that I read the article (and grew up jewish) and it was in no way provocative. I understand that it's a sensitive subject, but it was clear that he was really curious about the subject and wanted to actually engage in discussion. I've always believed that no one can be offensive if they truly interested and just asking for information.

How could I get mad at the little kid who asked me where my horns were because he was truly flummoxed because his parents had told him all jews had horns. Clearly his parents are anti-semites, but this kid was just curious and had been fed bad info, that makes his question no more anti-semitic than any other question I've gotten about judaism.

May 30, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • JM

Wow. Seriously? What year was that? Do people still believe stuff like that?

What a world. Why do we act like other people are our enemies rather than our brothers?

Sad really. We are missing out on knowing one another.

May 30, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Sad but True

Yeah, it was about 4 years ago and yeah, there's still a whole heck of a lot of ignorance out there still and I personally thought this article is actually going to help public discourse.

May 30, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • JM

Un-freakin-believable.

What clueless ignorance. What is wrong with people?????????????????

May 30, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • RUserious

Excellent point. He was asking because he, like most right thinking people doesn't understand where the hate comes from and he'd like to open a dialog. He's going to get some real winners too.

May 30, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • JM

Fortunately, I think (hope) younger people today are growing up w/less prejudice and are more inclusive.

May 30, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Sad but True

Depends on which society unfortunately. There are places worldwide (not to mention some areas of the US) that still breed hate for hates sake.

May 30, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • JM

Incredible. That a 'grown up' would 'teach' his child such foolish drivel. What a world. Ignorance perpetuating ignorance.

May 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • BD

RUserious: As an advocate of the "free marketplace of ideas," I've learned that it's impossible to have a dialogue with haters because they back-fill their emotions with what they wrongly believe to be facts (e.g.: Jews started the World Wars). In other words, the hate comes first, followed by an argument based on falsehoods. If we can't agree on the facts, we can't have a rational discussion. Fortunately, as our Founding Fathers theorized, and as this thread is proving, baseless opinions will be washed out of the public discourse by dint of their obvious lack of merit.

May 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Can't Cure Stupid

The problem wasn't with the article. If you write an article discussing anti-semitism it wouldn't be problem. the problem is when you are writing an article asking readers to comment about why the don't like Jews.

By doing that, he is essentially setting up a Neo Nazi Blog (although unintentionally)

May 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • magnus

Jews have horns on their heads?

May 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  17. GayAL

Just be happy that your not a black jew.....

May 30, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Voice of Reason

Or a black gay jew leaning towards islamic creationism all the while pretending to be a christian!

May 30, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • magnus

yes, a black gay jew is probably going to be discriminated against.

May 30, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  18. JackLM

If I were a leader in the Jewish community with real say and influence, my number one priority would be to start an ongoing campaign to make the general public aware of the reality that Jews are NOT AN ETHNIC GROUP AT ALL, but a RELIGION....this is why Jewish people look as diverse as everyone from Beck to Lenny Kravitz to Scarlett Johansson to Elizabeth Taylor to Latino Jews, East Asian Jews, and so on.

The only thing that makes a child born "Jewish" is if that child's mother is Jewish....but that mother can be Jewish simply by CONVERTING to the Judaism, and come from ANY ethnic background at all.

May 30, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Sad but True

Jack, sadly you're sort of wrong. Jews have an ethnicity even though it's not as easily defined as say a black person or an asian person. Most jews are characterized by their ashkenazi background and through decades upon decades of jewish communities only coupling between one another, genetic traits have survived. Which is why jews are normally characterized as dark hair, large noses, eastern europeanish. why jewish people are also way more likely to contract Tay-Sachs disease.

May 30, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • JackLM

See, but you are feeding a half-truth that is neither here nor there – Ashkenazi Jewish people started as middle-easterners that first settled around 9AD near the Rhine of what is now Germany. As time went on, those groups – which started as tight-knit settlers intermarrying in small groups (which is probably why Tay-Sachs occurred) – branched out and intermarried with locals, then eventually further east and west. This doesn't even get into other groups such as Sephardi Jews. With the advent of reform Judaism, diversification became even greater. To say Jews are a "race" is to say Christians are, because they started in the middle-east too! – it's weak and misguided at this point, and is why most Rabbi's take issue with the UN classifying Jews as such (it was done with good intentions – for protection

You cannot be "an ethnic group" by conversion, thus being 2, 3, 5 ethnic groups – and very few Jewish people today are entirely of middle-eastern genetics alone. If they were, they'd look like Arabs/Egyptians, other "Semetic" peoples. Also, you might want to look into the recent history of Jewish people classified as an ethnic group, and why it happened (hint; it was done with good intentions...to help prosecute racist criminals, but many Rabbi's feel it was a mistake and has in fact, fed lies).

This destroys the ENTIRE ground the racist stands on, if you consider what I've said.

May 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • JackLM

Sorry, was moving/pasting my content around a bit, and that got messed up...in a hurry. Anyway, I meant the US, and to summarize; saying Jews are a race isn't accurate when you can be any race and simply convert to Judaism. This needs to be pointed out, as the best part of it is it cuts the legs out from under the racist.

May 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Can't Cure Stupid

Creative imagination Jack. I understand what your angle is but your facts are all wrong. Intermarriage is a relative ne phenomena with Jews (last 100 years). There has been genetic research that has isolated certain genes in Jews, that are scientific proof that they are not just a religion, but share common ancestry.

May 30, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • magnus

Sad But True is correct. jews have a higher incidence of metabolic disease – specifically lysosomal storage diseases – due to keeping their genetics within a small population.

May 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  19. Thomas Nation

Constantine's Sword by James Carrol read it and become illuminated !

May 30, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  20. robertd188

Anti-Semites just can't get used to the idea that they are losing so badly; plus now Israel is doing so well too! Israel in some respects is better off than the US even. Israel may have a brighter future too.

May 30, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Petercha

Amen, Robert. Very good point.

May 30, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • joe d

AIPAC/israel=9/11

May 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • Pliny

If the iranians get their bomb, Israel may have a VERY bright future. About 3 trillion candlepower.

But...back to the quetsion at hand. Why did Blogett publish this provocative piece?

May 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • JonfromLI

@Pliny: Good luck to Iran if they even think about aiming their nuclear weapons towards Israel. Maybe it wasn't nuclear weapons, but the surrounding Arab countries still threatened Israel's existence during the Spring of 1967. Then in June, the events came to a climax when Israel took the initiative to put an end to these threats once and for all. SIX DAYS LATER, a treaty was signed and Israel gained the West Bank, Golan Heights, and Gaza Strip. You just don't mess with Israel.

May 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • magnus

robertd is a racist and teaches his children to hate christians.

May 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Nick San Diego

It;s because we ( the dumb USA taxpayer) sends them millions every year. If they're doing better than us, should;nt they send us the money. Hmm

May 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • Christopher

Muslims will conquer Israel and they will not be nearly as gentle as the Nazis were. A bright future indeed, bright with nuclear radiation.

May 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Christopher

J-ews have a completely disproportionate presence for their population in the media, in politics and in hollywood and all 3 of these categories have a malicious, racist agenda against white people. So, no kidding they aren't liked or trusted.
      Bla-ck on white r-ape and mur-der is at disturbingly high levels yet the media, most of which is left wing doesn't report this and goes out of the way to hide the race of the attackers when they are bla-ck. Most of the population knows this and can see what is happening. So yeah, when there is a racist attack by the media against an entire race by left wingers, je-ws and b-lacks, it's not going to make people to happy about it. Anyone with an 80 IQ or more can easily see that.

May 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • ted

Israel has a bright future ONLY if it finds a way to make a just peace with the Palestinians. But if Palestinians keep rejecting Israel's right to exist, there is noone to negotiate with.

May 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • Brian

Jewish and Israel are not the same thing. Some Jews can't stand Israel. Sigmund Freud, in a speech to some Zionists said "I don't see why you waste your time worshiping a pile of rocks." By "pile of rocks" he meant the remains of Herod's temple – the "wailing wall." Having said that, most real anti semitism in this country is coming from a religious angle – right wing Christians.

May 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm |