home
RSS
Business site raises eyebrows by asking 'Why Do Some People Hate Jews?'
Business Insider CEO and Editor-in-Chief Henry Blodget in New York earlier this year.
May 30th, 2012

Business site raises eyebrows by asking 'Why Do Some People Hate Jews?'

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - The Business Insider, a popular business-focused news website, posted a curious headline on its site: “Why Do Some People Hate Jews?”

Tuesday's headline and accompanying blog post, from Business Insider CEO and Editor-in-Chief Henry Blodget, wound up turning a lot of heads. The avalanche of response and criticism prompted Blodget - a high-profile former Wall Street analyst - to revise his headline and offer explanations/defenses of his post throughout the day.

“Along with many other sites, this site is occasionally visited by people whose mission in life appears to be to express hatred of Jews,” Blodget wrote in his original post. “And hatred of Jews has obviously been an ongoing theme worldwide for centuries.

“What is the source of this animosity? Why does it perpetuate itself? Where did this prejudice come from?”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The query drew plenty of tongue wagging from many corners of the Internet. “That’s right, there sure is nowhere better to suss out the reasoning behind one of the greatest attempted genocides of our modern times than in an Internet comments section,” Mediaite jested in a post that seethed disapproval.

“Is this how websites get traffic now?” Mediaite writer Jon Bershad continued. “Should Mediaite’s next slideshow be 'Top 10 Stereotypes About Black People'?"

Later Tuesday, Blodget updated his piece with a new headline, “What Are the Sources of Anti-Semitism?” explaining the initial headline “made a lot of people angry ...  (s)o I changed it.”

Blodget also subbed out the original photo, which he characterized as featuring a pair of “jovial Orthodox Jews,” with a picture of Jewish actress Natalie Portman. He wrote that some readers found the original photo “needlessly provocative.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

By day’s end, Blodget offered his seventh update, saying that he wish he’d never published the piece. “Whatever interesting responses came from the post, I now regret writing it,” Blodget wrote. "I am very sorry to anyone I offended. I sincerely apologize.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism

soundoff (1,236 Responses)
  1. J

I'm Jewish,successful and proud ..and more importantly,I DON"T GIVE A DAMN if you like me or not.

May 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Leigh2

^5!

May 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • closet atheist

If you are, in fact, successful then I assume you have some measure of intelligence. How do you reconcile your beliefs in the insanity which is religion with the reality of science and the natural world...??

May 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Obviously

You are not a Palestinian.

May 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • magnus

pride is a sin. you should know better than that

May 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Snow

Then I guess you are going straight to hell.. coz, you know what it says about a camel going through a needle head before rich man going into.. umm.. where was that again?

May 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • AngryJew

We do not like you? 🙂

May 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  2. Bible Clown©

More like "Why are people crazy?" Get me an answer to THAT and you should win the Nobel Prize.

May 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  3. BGko

Obviously everyone is responsible for their own beliefs and biases, but I think groups of people that deliberately separate themselves from society in general are more prone to have biases, misunderstood or real, directed at them more often, and I think a large portion of the Jewish society falls under that classification.

May 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • sbp

Really? Before it was "anti-semitism was created to shield criticism of Israel...." You keep coming up with new reasons why you don't like Jews. Other than the ultra-Orthodox is Brooklyn, what other Jews are separating themselves from society. You are full of it.

May 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • BGko

Well, the ultra-Orthodox in every other city, for starters. Here you are putting words in my mouth, I never once said I dislike Jews, and there is much of the problem. I am simply having a rationale discussion about where anti-semitism springs from, I have not said anything that is untrue, I have not disparaged Jews with any of my remarks, and yet you are accusing me of being an anti-semite simply for having a discussion. And might I point out, not once have you responded to me with anything other than unsupported opinion.

May 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • BGko

Fact Check: I never said ""anti-semitism was created to shield criticism of Israel", in fact I specifically said it existed before that and it is real, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is used improperly as a shield for criticism. I never said it was created for that purpose. You are horrible at either reading or arguing, or maybe both.

May 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • BGko

Do you feel that groups that deliberately separate themselves are NOT more prone to outside biases?

May 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • sbp

Fact check, you said it was LARGELY a concept used as a shield against criticism of Israel. Which is a crock, like the rest of your drivel.

May 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • longtooth

I agree. I have often said that Jews are their own worst enemy. (I am NOT antisemitic). If you segregate yourself, do not allow your daughter to marry a Gentile, and refuse to bury a Gentile in your cemetery, but raise hell if you are refused burial in a Gentile cemetery, you are sending a message that you're superior. That generally causes resentment.

May 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • sbp

You specifically said "and I think a large portion of the Jewish society falls under that classification" of a group that separates itself. So now the ultra-Orthodox, the only group of Jews who separate themselves, are a large portion of Jewish society? Is that it? Then you must have flunked math, since they must be a fraction of a percent of all Jews in the US. The fact that they are ALL you apparently can see is why you're an anti-Semite.

May 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • BGko

First, you are the only one insisting I am anti-semitic, so that notion is one you have created on your own. LARGELY does not mean ALL, nor does it necessarily mean a majority. You disagree that groups that separate themselves do not invite bias from a largely integrated society?

May 30, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • BGko

Do not many Jewish families frown upon Jews that marry outside of their race or religion? When that practice is done between whites and people of other color it is widely accepted as a form of racism? Is not that practice a form of racism when done by Jews? Is that not the pot calling the kettle black? Racism is a two-way street and you seem eager to be driving down the middle.

May 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • sbp

First of all, NO, Jews intermarry MORE than many other religions. Second, when it comes to religion, you know as well as anyone that there are always people who don't want intermarriage. You telling me MOST Protestants and Catholics have no problem with THEIR children marrying Jews, but it's the Jews standing in the way?

Once again, your lack of objectivity and flawed logic is simply astounding. You only see what you want to see, and that is because you don't like Jews. Just admit it already.

May 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • BGko

I'm simply illustrating a double standard at play, and making the point that racism in any direction is unwarranted. Second, if you want to talk about fallacies of logic, stating that Jews intermarry more than many other religions is not necessarily for the reason you think it is. Most religions are more centralized and deal less with people of other religions than Jews do because they have less global spread. In addition, Jews that intermarry are usually not very religious, so religion has little to do with the argument. I do know that many people are against intermarriage besides the Jews, but this topic is not concerning those others, nor would I make an argument that it is acceptable from others. Saying others are racist does not excuse your own racism, which is evident by your insistence on seeing anti-semitism at every question raised, and making generalizations about other races that are made about the Jews does not change reality for Jews or for non-Jews. I don't understand why you are so insistent on saying I am anti-semitic when I have only raised valid points that are of interest to this topic.

May 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • BGko

Your insistence that I hate you when I clearly do not is baffling.

May 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

"groups of people that deliberately separate themselves from society in general " You do realize that England kicked them all out in medieval days and made them the villains in every story? They taught all the good Christians that Jews were murderers and thieves, so that if they ever saw one they booed and threw stones at the "evil one." And you say 'deliberate,' hmm. I guess you mean they could convert. If you converted to Islam, you'd be safe from the terrorists, right? Not buying it? Neither did the Jews.

May 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  4. Leigh2

Edwin

I do not understand your post.... Yes, many peoples around the world have been persecuted. Does that in any way trivialize the sheer amount of persecution and genocide perpetrated on jews?

It seems as if you are more upset at those who decry anti-Semitism than those who perform atrocities, on jews and on others. If so, that is pretty twisted.

******
    It's a followup from another post. And I am here to tell you I don't 'trivialize' what happened to the Jews. Before you start lobbing heavy criticism at my posts, I would suggest you go and look at that previous post first ~ back a page or so.

May 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  5. Thegoodman

I grew up in the midwest, was baptized a christian, and lived there for 28 years. Not one time during those 28 years did I hear a single christian say they hated the jews. I have been told many many times (by my Jewish friends) in recent years that "everyone hates the Jews". I argue that if this were in fact true, I likely would have heard about it.

The fact is that the mantra of "Everyone hates the Jews" is perpetuated mostly by the Jewish. Being a minority is just an inconvenience, being a martyr is how you get attention. I don't see Jews having a difficult time getting into good schools or with high rates of unemployment or poverty. I see many Jewish doctors, lawyers, and accountants who are doing well for themselves and our country. A minority sure, but not an oppressed one.

May 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  6. Jez

What a tool.

May 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  7. mike

Everybody knows the most famous Jew, Jesus

May 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Obviously

Everybody knows he was born a Palestinian.

May 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  8. Mitzy

Pagans have been trying to define Jews for 5,000 years, even inventing religions based on The Torah, and then persecuting the Jews for not believing in these new religions-Christianity and Islam–while using the sword to force other pagans to bow down to their pagan idols, the golden calves, Jesus and Mohammed. Jews would never submit to the pagan sword and never will, thus the pagans hate them.

May 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • M Houston

what an arrogant statement...

May 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • AngryJew

I hear the Talmud is quite an entertaining read.

May 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  9. mike

Rabbi Jesus wil deal with the haters.

May 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  10. Alice

I worked with MANY people who hated Jews in the business world, for the life of me I couldn't understand and never will. I will say good for the question. We seem to skirt around subjects like this. The only reason people are shocked is because the truth came out in the form of a question and maybe it hit home for some.

May 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • logical

May 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • rrutman04

The term anti-semite was actually termed by a German named Wiilhem Marr writing in the 19th century. As for Jews being considered a race, given the until recently lack of intermarriage with non-Jews, most Jews would share a similar genetic code with each other. So, in a sense, they are a race.

May 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  11. Roger Hillfiger

I don't know that 'hate' jews is my ethic, but as a whole I do find them as a culture to be the most selfish, self-absorbed people ever. You go live in New York with so many of them, and you tell me.

May 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • logical

i do agree in some regard, but concentrating on self interests is key to success so cant really hate on it unless jealousy looms

May 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • closet atheist

live in brooklyn.... truth

May 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  12. Loqman

I have no problem with the Jews. My problem is with Zionism, the stealing of landsm killing of innocent Palestinians, the begging for US dollars and the buying of our lawmakers.

May 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • sbp

Do you have a problem with the US stealing this entire country from the Indians? Didn't think so.

May 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • ted

Zionism means the desire of the Jews to live on their historic land. What is wrong with that? Oh, the land was settled by the arabs and thus after 2,000 Jews have no more right to it? That's a matter of opinion and the facts on the ground.

May 30, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • AngryJew

Ha! that other feller just tried a red herring. Of course we object to Zionism and the ethnic cleansing it entails. Now watch one of the Zionists ask us about another horrible situation to deflect from Zionism.

May 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • logical

logman
      you are clearly biased- ancient jews have been in modern day Israel 1000 years before Christ was born and 1500 years before Islam was even a religion this is an archeological fact end of pitiful discussion.

May 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • AngryJew

Zionism means the ethnic cleansing of Historical Palestine so that only Jews have the right to live there. Zionism does not care about the current natives living in the West Bank, parts of Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.

May 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Lee Oates

sbp: Being an Indian, I have a problem with it. 🙂

May 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • AngryJew

The ancient Hebrews were a warlike tribe very similar to other tribes like the Canaanites. Incidentally, the Hebrews stole the land from the Canaanites and called it their own. Jews have no more right to the land than other Semitic people. The European Jewish immigrants have the least right of all.

May 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • sbp

In other words, Angrymoron, no one has any right to any land, since there was always someone there before them. So whoever is on it NOW owns it.

May 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • Andy Lavigne

You are obviosly ill advsed about the history of Israel Israel was carved out of territory the British ruled. Jews already lived there for centuries as did Arabs. The Jews got a small sliver of barren land. The Arabs got the rest of what is now called Jordan. The Syrians, Egyptians and the rest of the Arab community did not want the Jews to have the land so they declared war. They told all Arabs to leave and after they drove the Israeli's inti the sea they couild come back. They are still trying to do that which is why the Arabs keep losing land have thier own people in refugee camps. The rerfugees had been driven out of Jordan and Lebenon by the Jordanians and Lebonese. The Arabs are holed up in the West Bank and Gaza. The Arabs that stayed are now called Israeli's. You don't see them living in refugee camps. The Israeli Arabs have more freedom in Israel than the Arabs living in any country controled by Arabs. They have about 20% of the seats in the Israeli Parliament (Knesset). The Arabs fire rockets from Gaza and Lebanon indiscriminately. The Israeli's target the people they want to kill. In war innocent people get hurt on both sides. The Arabs can end the war. All they have to do is say that Israel has a right to exist and the they too can concentrate on becoming a democracy and economic wonder just like Israel.

May 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  13. Leigh2

HawaiiGuest

So apparently god is not omni-benevolent or all good since he apparently shows favoritism. Strange way to show favoritism though, allowing his "chosen ones" to be mocked, tortured, and killed throughout a lot of history.

********
    Jews haven't been the only ones persecuted. Plenty of others as well ~ genocides and ethnic cleansing. The commonality to all of this is a force people such as yourself deny every day. But it does exist in the world. Until you come onto a certain level of spirituality within yourself, you will never be able to comprehend it. It's called 'evil'.

May 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Edwin

May 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Leigh2

I accept the concept of what the word "evil" states, and oh look at that I'm not spiritual. Needing a certain level of "spirituality" to grasp the concept of evil is a condescending thought on your part.

May 30, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Ali

KKLA Sports Apparel Co., Inc was established in 2000 in ZeJiang, China. Now it has 12 brcnah companies around China. We are a worldwide wholesaler of Sports Apparel (Soccer Jersey,baseball Jersey,Basketball Jersey,Football Jersey,Icehockey Jersey). Our company consists of design, develop, produce, sale and service. Now we have more than 6 professional factories for our own products. Professional QC for professional products and service.You can mix NFL MLB NHL NBA Jerseysdifferent styles and sizes. And there is no mini order for you, Lowest price and Best service. Let's be friends and business partner. Don't hesitate to contact with us if you need anytime. We can supply those all NFL MLB NHL NBA Soccer Teams,such as NFL Teams: Atlanta Falcons Jersey , Cincinnati Bengals Jersey , Detroit Lions Jersey , Indianapolis Colts Jersey , Minnesota Vikings Jersey ,New Orleans Saints Jersey , Pittsburgh Steelers Jersey , Seattle Seahawks Jersey , Washington Redskins Jersey,NHL Teams : Atlanta Thrashers Jersey ,Calgary Flames Jersey , Dallas Stars Jersey , Los Angeles Kings Jersey ,Minnesota Wild Jersey , New York Rangers Jersey ,Philadelphia Flyers Jersey ,Quebec Nordiques Jersey ,Tampa Bay Lightning Jersey , NBA Teams: Chicago Bulls Jersey, Houston Rockets Jersey , Memphis Grizzlies Jersey ,Minnesota Timberwolves Jersey , Oklahoma City Thunder Jersey ,Philadelphia 76ers Jersey , Seattle Sonics Jersey , Michael Jordan Jerseys Jersey ,MLB Teams: Atlanta Braves Jersey , Colorado Rockies Jersey , Kansas Royals Jersey, Minesota Twins Jersey, Oakland Athletics Jersey , San Diego Padres Jersey, Texas Rangers Jersey, Washington Nationals Jersey,Soccer Teams: Atletico Madrid Jersey ,Bayern Munich Jersey ,Lyon Jersey , Others Club Teams Jersey , Holland Jersey , Portugal Jersey and so on

July 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  14. Realdirect

Jews,are a evil group of people, history proves this.it was the Jews, who first brought slaves to America. And they cause corruption in the land where ever they go...past and present....Facts.

May 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • sbp

Why did your parents feel the need to reproduce?

May 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • midwstrngrl

The first people to start the African slave trade were the Dutch.

May 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • mike

Rabbi Jesus is offended

May 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • ted

I worked for a company with a Jewish owner and probably 50% of Jewish engineers and scientists developing the most advanced medical imaging like MRI, CT, Ultrasound which have saved millions of lives worldwide and may save yours.
      Not bad from the "evil" people.

May 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • iseeyou

Go troll the Disney boards and let the grown ups talk.

May 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • veggiedude

Wow, your stupidity knows no bounds.

May 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  15. dave

all the bad parts of the Koran were pretty much coies from the Torah

stoning people to death is an idea Mohammed got from the Bible

May 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • sbp

Uh, right pal, it wasn't a standard form of execution back then. Duh.

May 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • logical

this is true however for different reasons the method of stoning was copied but the reason for stoning was altered the original torah mentions this as a punishment but for very very different purposes. radical Muslims do it for various different un warranted reasons.

May 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  16. winstonsmith

It always amazes me how people constantly take the evils of man and say, it's THEM... like only that one group is responsible for our ills. They tried getting rid of the Jews. It didn't make things better, it made them worse. Just like if Christians go to war with Islam, nothing is fixed, nothing gets better. Human beings are full of hatred, and those who learn how to manipulate that hatred become very successful for a time.

May 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  17. dave

Any group that calls themselves "God's chosen people" can't miss.

"God gave us your land" isn't that cute

May 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Glenn Parker

>> Any group that calls themselves "God's chosen people" can't miss.

That's true. Except in this case, they don't say it about themselves. God says it about them. If you have a problem with it, take it up with Him.

May 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • sam

Glenn, honestly. When humans invent a deity, they then proceed to make it say whatever their agenda requires. You know that, right?

May 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • BGko

Glenn Parker – I must've missed the interview where God said that. Was it on Leno? The Old Testament was written by Jewish authors, so it was they who said it of themselves.

May 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • M Houston

@Glenn Parker

that's only if you believe "GOD" has spoken directly to a crazy old man on a mountain top...

May 30, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Monica

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..extra wait .. ?There are certainly nureomus particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice point to convey up. I provide the thoughts above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you convey up where an important thing will likely be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around issues like that, however I'm certain that your job is clearly identified as a good game. Each girls and boys feel the influence of just a moment’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

August 1, 2012 at 12:31 am |
  18. Ikramuddin Akbar

If someone knows about" PROTOCOL OF THE LEARNED ELDERS OF THE ZION",a report published in pittsburg ,Russia in the beginning of 1900, anyone could easily understand why jews are hated most by all religions"s people. I once read an article in the READER'S DIGEST, about this report under the caption, "THIS LIE WILL NOT DIE", and very much agreed with the writer that this was a propaganda against the jews,but,also believe that not all the people of the europe where this article ignited violence and hatred, were mad that they could not reach to the fact .

May 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • sbp

Only you and other Arabs refuse to accept that this was a forgery, start to finish. If there was a secret organization of Jews controlling the world, they've done a great job of keeping every single one of their meetings a complete secret for hundreds of years.

May 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Skibbereen, Ireland

The "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" is a long-discredited hoax. You're either a moron, or you're being willfully ignorant. Which is it?

May 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

I get your point; a lot of people who know it's a lie still spread it around, hoping it will cause trouble. But it's a clumsy lie and far from reality.

May 30, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  19. Chris

He wished he had never published the article.....Duh Homer

May 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Edwin

The problem is there really are a lot of people who truly hate jews - so the responses will generate hate and backlash, not useful information. I wouldn't be surprised if the author got death threats from some people.

May 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  20. flopflipper

Its a legitimate question. Anyone who has spent any time on Internet forums sees quite a shocking amount of bigotry. At some point, the moderators of such forums should stop and ask why the bigotry is showing up.

In my opinion a large part of it comes from the simple formula:

Internet + Anonymity = a h*le

However, in my experience, some fraction of the bigoted comments are coming from genuine, dyed-in-the-wool bigots, and when placed in a different situation, a bigot will still act like a bigot.

May 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm |