home
RSS
Survey: Nearly half of Americans subscribe to creationist view of human origins
June 1st, 2012

Survey: Nearly half of Americans subscribe to creationist view of human origins

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - Forty-six percent of Americans believe that God created humans in their present form at one point within the past 10,000 years, according to a survey released by Gallup on Friday.

That number has remained unchanged for the past 30 years, since 1982, when Gallup first asked the question on creationism versus evolution. Thirty years ago, 44% of the people who responded said they believed that God created humans as we know them today - only a 2-point difference from 2012.

"Despite the many changes that have taken place in American society and culture over the past 30 years, including new discoveries in biological and social science, there has been virtually no sustained change in Americans' views of the origin of the human species since 1982," wrote Gallup's Frank Newport. "All in all, there is no evidence in this trend of a substantial movement toward a secular viewpoint on human origins."

The second most common view is that humans evolved with God's guidance - a view held by 32% of respondents. The view that humans evolved with no guidance from God was held by 15% of respondents.

Survey: U.S. Protestant pastors reject evolution, split on Earth's age

Not surprisingly, more religious Americans are more likely to be creationists.

Nearly 70% of respondents who attend church every week said that God created humans in their present form, compared with 25% of people who seldom or never attend church.

Among the seldom church-goers, 38% believe that humans evolved with no guidance from God.

The numbers also showed a tendency to follow party lines, with nearly 60% of Republicans identifying as creationists, while 41% of Democrats hold the same beliefs.

Republicans also seem to be more black-and-white about their beliefs, with only 5% responding that humans evolved with some help from God. That number is much lower than the 19% of both independents and Democrats.

According to Newport, a belief in creationism is bucking the majority opinion in the scientific community - that humans evolved over millions of years.

"It would be hard to dispute that most scientists who study humans agree that the species evolved over millions of years, and that relatively few scientists believe that humans began in their current form only 10,000 years ago without the benefit of evolution," writes Newport. "Thus, almost half of Americans today hold a belief ... that is at odds with the preponderance of the scientific literature."

The USA Today/Gallup telephone poll was conducted May 10-13 with a random sample of 1,012 American adults. The sampling error is plus or minus 4 percentage points.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Belief • Creationism • evolvution

soundoff (3,830 Responses)
  1. Jeff

So...
    I believe in God
    I believe in Evolution
    I do not agree with organized religion
    The golden rule is most important and its too bad that most of those that are religious do not follow it and are not tolerant of others beliefs
    Love is the most important thing and if you give love you will get it back
    Everything is in your head and you can change those thoughts and what affects you... You have to realize its all in your own mind.
    Peace and love to everyone...

June 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Why do you have to believe in a god? Can you prove it?

June 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • LKT12012

Sir, you hit the nail on the head. The most religious are the most intolerant. I recall one of the ten commandments directing you to "love thy neighbor". I don't remember seeing an asterisk next to that commandment stating,"unless your neighbors views differ from yours. Or if your neighbor is different from you in any way."

June 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • LKT12012

Voice of Reason,

It doesn't matter why he believes in God. He has the right to believe whatever he chooses. You are becoming what you hate. Most religious people are intolerant if one does no't believe. And yet non-believers are intolerant if one does believe. I don't care what a person believes in as long as they allow me to hold my beliefs without persecution or ridicule.

June 1, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@LKT12012

If you want to perpetuate the madness and not question someone's belief to be ludicrous, a belief that is harmful by its essence then that is your choice. Frankly I could give a rat's a*ss what you think about me. god is not real, belief in it is a mental disorder brother.

June 1, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • Jeff

Entheogens prove it...

June 1, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • LKT12012

Your hypocrisy is appalling! Present your case, if need be. But don't chastise someone for their beliefs because you disagree with them. Some people would rather put their hopes in a "god" rather than hear truth and facts. You are one in the same with them because of your intolerance. Look at you, you're using exclamation points to express your anger because I questioned your path of intolerance. You are an elitist just like the people you are arguing against. You hate them for for their intolerance to you, but are a mirror image of what you despise. Some people will believe what they choose to believe no matter the evidence is set forth before them. I've set evidence before you, yet you still believe what you choose to believe.
      Hypocrisy is a terrible trait, whether you believe in god or not.

June 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • LKT12012

I apologize. I meant to type "curse words", not exclamation points".

June 1, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@LKT12012, It matters because ignorance is the enemy of us all. Self-delusion should be the enemy of any peace-seeking society. It becomes especially a problem when ignorant people clump together to influence laws concerning education of students, marriage, women's rights and stem cell research. If people choose to believe something and kept it to themselves, that would be their business. Sadly, numbers have made crazy people confident and insistent upon their way of life being followed.

June 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
  2. AnarchyNow

Suddenly, George W Bush winning two terms as president makes sense. Americans are morons.

June 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Plantiful

W was the work of Satan.

June 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Colin

I have a friend who works for the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia. He was telling me how a new strain of Bird Flu has evolved with a resistance to the strongest antibodies we can throw at it. The best immunologists in the World believe it evolved in parts of India or China where the regular contact between chickens and humans allows easy vectoring to humans.

Luckily, I have a Christian frined who has corrected me. Evolution is a lie. All life was created in its current form about 6,000 years ago by a Bronze Age sky god they called “Yahweh,” who we now call “God”.

So, the Center for disease Control will immediately stop researching the evolution of disease and close down, so their researchers can go home and read their Bibles to find a cure for bird flu there.

Thanks American Christians, you have saved the taxpayer even more money!!

June 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

June 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Jen

Maybe they should try that thing where you dip a dead bird in blood and then rub it on another dead bird....that sounds like it has something to do with bird flu 🙂

June 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Bizarre

Yeah, Jen, or rub the spit of a cured leper on bird-flu sufferers... that's the ticket!

June 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Richard

Wow, this explains a lot. So God came down from heaven and created people? Really? What did the rest of creation do to deserve us?

June 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
  5. irene

This explains why America is becoming a third world nation. 46% Americans are really stupid bullies who demand that the other 54% do as they say in the name of their fairy tale religion.

June 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • 123elle

I used to feel as you do, but as I get older and life gets more conditional and painful, what with the loss of loved ones and the senseless suffering everywhere we look, from our gardens to the ends of the earth, I understand why people need religion. O wish I had it. Okay, it's a crutch, a hopeful crutch, but I would not wish to dismantle it with irrevocable logic and fact, even if I were that presumptuous, because it would be cruel to deprive people of even a scintilla of comfort. Life is so bitterly mean. I say whatever gives you the strength to pick yoursselfup in the face of adversity and keep functioning for the sake of your loved ones, I'm for it. As for science, I admire it immensely and am fascinated with evolution, which I follow avidly as it progresses. I trust in its validity and in the researchers' integrity. I cna't reconcile a just allmighty with what my reason tellsme, but I don't scorn those who can as I did when I was young and sure of myself..

June 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • irene

Sorry elle, I fine no comfort in lies and bullies who demand that everybody believes their lies.

June 2, 2012 at 1:22 am |
  6. david

How do the Creationists explain dinosaur fossils and Carbon 14 testing ? Do they accept any kind of scientific experiments and facts or are they primarily "anti-science"? It seems as though most religious dogma is pretty much "pick & choose" . . . . I choose to believe this, I choose not to believe that, etc. etc.

June 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

David, the more you learn about the religious believers the more you will learn how intolerant to the truth they are. Basically, they're proving themselves to be idiots.

June 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • guyfromVA

The fossils are from Noah's flood. The fossils disprove evolution, in that there are no transitional forms when there should be billions. Carbon-14 dating is based on the dubious assumption that the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12 is constant, when there's no way to verify this.

June 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Hawk

Usually they say that this is all the work of "Satan" to confuse us. Of course, their "god" is too impotent to stop "Satan" from doing such a good job of fooling us, even if he is supposed to be all-powerful.

June 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Hawk

@guyfromVA – there are TONS of transitional fossils! We are finding more all the time!

June 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • Jen

Hawk save your breath. VA guy believes in Noah's arc!!!! He probably goes to those museums that shows kids riding dinosaurs....

June 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@guyfromVA, have you ever considered (and I ask this knowing the answer), that YOU are in fact a transitional living fossil of evidence? Have you ever wondered why people were shorter when your superhero jesus was traipsing around in the desert? If you have trouble with the science part (chemistry/physics) maybe you can just stick with the simple stuff. Have you ever eaten broccoli? This is man's natural selection at work and it actually was originally a cabbage 2k years ago. Same with Kale, asparagus, etc. Man did this over time by making alteration. We do the same with vineyards, dogs, cows, etc. It's not that complicated man. Don't let your dumb get in the way of your smart. Being from Va may make this a challenge, but seriously, I have to believe you have it in you.

June 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • Bizarre

GodFreeNow,

What about this doozy from Genesis!?

Genesis tells us that Jacob was able to breed striped goats by breeding them in a striped environment. He did this because Laban had promised him that any such goats would be Jacob's. This is Genesis 30:37-39:

Then Jacob took fresh sticks of poplar and almond and plane trees, and peeled white streaks in them, exposing the white of the sticks. He set the sticks that he had peeled in front of the flocks in the troughs, that is, the watering places, where the flocks came to drink. And since they bred when they came to drink, the flocks bred in front of the sticks and so the flocks brought forth striped, speckled, and spotted.

June 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
  7. Lee Oates

Its a sad fact tha almost half of the American population are so ignorant as to deny the scientific reality of evolution.

June 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Colin

I have a friend who works for NASA. He was telling me how the latest photographs from the Hubble space telescope are revealing galaxies in the early stages of formation, from about 13 billion years ago. The discoveries are advancing science at an incredible rate and helping us develop very sophisticated theories of galactic formation.

Fortunately, I have a friend who is an American Christians who informed me that the entire Universe was created only 6,000 years ago by [the Christian] god with one man, one woman and a magic talking snake.

Thanks American Christians, if it wasn’t for you, I would believe people like Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawkins. Now, I just read my Bible.

June 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • justanotherguy

Don't forget carl sagan!!!

June 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • guyfromVA

Seeing a galaxy in a telescope doesn't show how old it is. That is based on assumptions which already assume evolution is true. There are a billion Christians worldwide, it's not just America. By the way, Newton was a devout Christian who wrote more theology than physics.

June 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

haha.

June 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@guyfromVA, HA! OM freaking G... you did not just say that! ha. wowsers.

June 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • Colin

Guy from VA. Biological evolution has nothing to do with the big bang. Newton had no idea about the big bang. The evidence for it only came to light hundreds of years later.

June 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  9. justanotherguy

nobody ever surveyed me!!! nor anyone i know. where do they come up with this stuff? probably the same way they came up with religion. they made it up!!!

June 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • GinCas

Nor was I questioned; and I can assure you that I, and oh so many others I know, are not so ignorant or self-deluded, as to ignore that evolution is supported by science and creationism is supported only by wishful thinking of those afraid to face their own inevitable mortality.

June 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
  10. thegadfly

Well, at least that means 54% have a clue.

June 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Plantiful

Evolution exists as part of biology: just look at how well bacteria have evolved with the mis-application of antibiooltics (MRSA was an evolutionary product of antibiotics). A species encounters something, and the ones adapted to it, survive. A very simple idea, really.

Science class in school should focus on.... science, so all students have the chance to learn... science! Then, if they choose, they can learn about whatever their religion likes to say about our origins at their church, temple, or mosque, etc.

Maybe evolution was god's tool to put us here, for the religious folks. Nothing wrong with that.

June 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • rafael

May the sauce be with you.

June 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • guyfromVA

You're confusing micro and macroevolution. Evidence for microevolution doesn't prove macroevolution.

June 1, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • Plantiful

Rafael: May the Sauce be with you, as well.

guyfromVA: microevolution only differs from macroevolution on time scale, where micro is much, much faster due, in part to the significantly shorter lifetimes of the little critters. An example of human evolution is continuing today: we are taller than our ancestors (in the 1800's, U.S. white males were 171 cm tall on average. Today, the average is 179 cm, an increase of 8 cm, or 3 inches), as an adaptation to better living quality. We are also expanding outward too (but that is a whole other problem).

June 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Colin

I have a friend who is on an archeological dig in the Republic of Georgia (a former part of the USSR, between the Black and Caspian seas). He emailed me about how they had found the remains of the earliest ho.mo sapiens outside of Africa, dating to a couple of hundred thousand years ago. There is an entire research team there from Oxford University’s paleontology department, the most respected in the World.

Fortunately, I have a friend who is an American Christian. He informed me that the entire World began only 6,000 years ago with man already totally evolved (and with a talking snake). So, I am going to write to the team and tell them to all fold up their tents and go home and read their Bibles. The answers to the natural history of the human species are all in there.

Thanks American Christians, you have made me really smart!

June 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Mark

People have common sense and we know that despite whatever propoganda the scientific establishment throws at us life has to be meaningful and the universe couldn't have come about by some natural process before "nature" even existed. That means some peoples "religious" views have infiltrated science and therefore people need to do the research themselves.

June 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  14. hijack28

I am surprised that it is even that low of a number. I suspect the number is higher, much higher. These evolution people are. At the end of the day it boils down to anything but acknowledging GOD. Its really evil that has overtaken them and is at work.

June 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • rafael

If you equate science with evil, your fingers are now typing on the work of the devil. Repent!

June 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

dude that angel rafael just made you look stupid,...repent hahahahahahahahh,... the next creationist i see talking on a cellphone is getting a repent from me

June 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
  15. ELH

Just snapped his finger at a pile of dust and did it. Then yanked a rib out and whipped up a female companion. Wow! Beats the big bang and 14.5 billion years of drudge all hollow. I'm convinced! Hallelujah!

June 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
  16. MrSimple

Any god so messed up he would consider my belief without evidence more important than my actions is a god I would be happy to spit in the face of despite being damnded in hell for all eternity.

June 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • guyfromVA

you'd better repent of your blasphemy or you'll go to hell

June 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
  17. J

In other news, 46% of Americans qualify to be labeled functionally retarded.

June 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • David

Hahahahahaha!

June 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Jen

Love it!

June 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Evangelical

I really think we need to pray for a lot of people on this site. They are not only atheists, but they are blasphemers. And they are arrogant enough to call people of faith ignorant and stupid.

June 1, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

You have to call a spade a spade, brother.

June 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Yup... spade a spade.

June 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

ignorant |ˈɪgn(ə)r(ə)nt|
      adjective
      1 lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated: he was told constantly that he was ignorant and stupid.
      stupid |ˈstjuːpɪd|
      adjective ( stupider, stupidest )
      lacking intelligence or common sense: I was stupid enough to think she was perfect.
      • dazed and unable to think clearly: apprehension was numbing her brain and making her stupid.
      • informal used to express exasperation or boredom: she told him to stop messing about with his stupid painting.

June 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Bill

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"–Carl Sagan. With respect to your beliefs that we have only been here for 10,000 years, all of the evidence suggests otherwise.

June 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • Evangelical

LMAO, the post right above mine proves my point.

June 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • Evangelical

June 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

And let us not forget:

delusion |diˈlo͞oZHən|
      noun
      an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder: the delusion of being watched.

June 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Evangelical
      "Bill, I don't give a rat's patootie what Carl Sagan said. He was a spaced-out druggie."

You are such a f*ucking hypocrite, you are so busted!

June 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Paul

Here's your test. Do you think the Noah's Arc story is literally true? Yes or no.

June 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Richard

Well, if the shoe fits...

June 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • David

Blow me.

June 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Plantiful

Every religion has its own story about how we came about being here. None of them can prove any of them, either. That's an odd thing about stories.....Your story is different than that of Hindus, oh but they don't believe in your story, so they are going to burn in hell anyway, right?

Evolution is not blasphemy, it is called "science": Hypothesis, experiment, results, conclusions. Evolution offers some proof too: "Look at the bones!" Tim, "Search for the Holy Grail", Monty Python.

People of faith are fine with me- just keep it to yourselves, and everyone will be happy 🙂

June 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • MEL

Evangelical: Since you believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, in which version of Adam and Eve do you believe? The one in Genesis chapter 1 or the one in Genesis chapter 2? They cannot both be right.

June 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • guyfromVA

Evangelical, I'm afraid the posters in this thread are hardened in their unbelief. Their only hope is if God opens their eyes and convinces them of their foolish unbelief.

June 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  19. John

Even Lucifer, the one that many of you follow, knows that the Heavenly Father created all...even him! The darkness has enveloped some of you like a moonless night so that you cannot see that the path you have chosen is one that leads to a cliff that falls into an abyss from which you will never return. If only you would accept the Light that is the Lord Jesus so that you can return to the path that leads to eternal life with Him!

June 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

You are the blind one Big Bad John!

June 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Rick James

Lucifer is a figment of YOUR imagination, not mine. I tend not to believe in magic, ghouls, and goblins. And what's with the hate for Lucifer anyway? Didn't God create him, knowing he'd turn out the way he did? How incompetent of an all-powerful being. And I don't remember Lucifer killing children just to unsuccessfully convince some pharaoh.

June 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Doug in San Diego

I knew the comments were going to get funny quickly.

June 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • NoGodsHere

Not beliving in any God means not beliving in devils either. Just because we are enlightened to reality doesn't make us evil. Just Smart.

June 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • guyfromVA

God did create Lucifer knowing he would fall because God is absolutely sovereign and he does whatever he pleases. By lucifer falling and sinning brings God the greater glory when he throws him into hell. Glory to God!

June 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@guyfromVA, so god should be pleased about sin, since it's all part of his ingenious plan.

June 1, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • DoubtingThomas

Funny we speak about this Lucifer fellow. Lucy is never once mentioned in the bible. It wasn't until 1000 years later when people started to question why God created evil that he came about to explain how God really didn't create evil after all, Apparently the story was good enough to appease the followers and so it came to be. Funny even John himself can't keep it straight. Lucifer was the good angel. He only became Satan after he got booted out. As such if one were influenced by Lucifer one would not be under the spell of evil. That would be Satan. I hate it when religious folks don't even know their own damn fairy tales..Pffff!

June 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
  20. GodFreeNow

Another thing I find laughable is the belief that religious people have that atheists are trying to convert them. Honestly, do you really think we want people that are so easily suckered without any shred of evidence in our circle of influence? And they're so paranoid... like they're going to get tricked into believing something outside of reality. That's the real irony.

June 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Evangelical

No, we just see the lies of the atheists for what they are. Atheists do go out of their way to be as in-your-face as possible. Also, atheists put blind faith in science when it should be put in God.

June 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • J

@Evangelical, that's probably because science produces results with empirical evidence, rather than asking us to rely on 2,000 year-old fairy tales.

June 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Evangelical
      "No, we just see the lies of the atheists for what they are"

Alrighty then, you say we lie, please explain and give proof please.

June 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Evangelical, See what I mean? For example, "blind faith"... no... that's religion. Do you have blind faith in gravity? No, you accept it because the evidence points to the reality of it. If people put blind faith in science, they would never work to disprove theories which is a very important part of the scientific process. Again, that's religion that has no desire to disprove its doctrine.

June 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Jen

Evangelical, as soon as you shut your mouth about me burning in hell for eternity, I will shut my mouth about how stupid that sounds. You say it is to tell me the truth, when it is without question because you are insecure about your beliefs and would be more secure if everyone believed the same thing as you.

June 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Florist

Yeah, atheists seem to be pretty paranoid about what Christians think. That's all they ever think about and certainly all they ever talk about. You know, if it were about g ays and straights, you would guess that someone like that was a closet case...

June 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Rick James

GodFree, it's called projection. They know dam.n well they do everything that they accuse atheist of, but they want to feel justified against criticism, so they project their faults onto us. It's really kind of sad.

June 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Evangelical

@VOR

Lie #2: People of fath are stupid. Again, name-calling, no proof
      Lie #3: There is no afterlife. Again, no proof and runs counter to the Bible.

Those are just three lies I've seen on here tonight. There are others that come up from time-to-time.

June 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Gadflie

Evangelical. Two of your three statements fall under the same common fallacy. Look up "Negative Proof" to show why it is just a sign of your ignorance.
      The other one is just whining.

June 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Evangelical, I'll just take these again...
      You're asking for proof in #2... so... I will ask you...

1) There is a god? Proof please.
      2) People of faith are stupid. No one is saying this. People that deny the reality that is presented to them are stupid. That's what ignorant and stupid mean. see def I posted above. Even scientist are people of faith. We have faith that our theories will produce results. If they don't we may try again. But at some point if our ideas do not match reality, we don't give up on reality, we give up on our idea.
      3) Afterlife... again... proof.

June 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Evangelical
      @VOR
      "Lie #1: There is no God. I have yet to see an atheist prove that one. Also, it runs counter to the Bible.
      Lie #2: People of fath are stupid. Again, name-calling, no proof
      Lie #3: There is no afterlife. Again, no proof and runs counter to the Bible."

#1 You are the people that say there is a god but there is no proof there is (that's a lie?)
      #2 Stupid, yes, I would say you are beyond stupid. When faced with facts and reality you disregard it, to me that's beyond stupid.(that's a lie?)
      #3 After life, again you people claim it but there is no proof (that's a lie?)

All we do is ask for reasonable answers and you cannot give reasonable answers, they do not make any sense unless you are deep into the supernatural and the unproven.

June 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • guyfromVA

GodFree, most of us Christians aren't trying to convert you. That takes the supernatural act of God opening your blind eyes to the truth. If you are one of the elect, you'll eventually believe. If not, you'll continue in your unbelief and go to hell.

June 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@guyfromVA, believe me when I say, most atheists come from your side of the fence and it was a moment of enlightenment that set us free. Personally I spent 13 years in a xtian school and 18 years in a baptist church. I said the prayer, did the baptism and drank the cool-aid, so you can believe me when I say, I've been where you are... lost and deluded. Everything you've been taught that reason and logic are your enemy and that a lack of faith is sacrilege. But you have to ask yourself, What has faith given back to the human race? What has logic and reason given back to the human race? You will find that with medicine, technology, science and all of the other things that come from logic and reason, this has been far more benevolent than your god. So if you have to choose, why be masochistic and choose the god of vengeance, murder, jealousy and domination? Do you really hate yourself that much? Or is it that you find your fear of h.ell to be too overwhelming?

June 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm |