home
RSS
The Gospel of Stephen King
Is this a vampire from Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot” movie or a character from one of the author’s "sermons"? Both, pastors say.
June 2nd, 2012

The Gospel of Stephen King

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - When the horror novelist Stephen King was once asked why he wrote such gross stories, he said he did it because he had the heart of a small boy - which he kept in a jar on his desk.

With his beady eyes and I-just-killed-the-cat grin, King looks and sounds like a horror novelist. But when the Rev. Paul F.M. Zahl read several of King’s novels, he learned something new about the author: There’s a lot of faith behind his fright.

Zahl says some of the most stirring affirmations of Christian faith can be found in the chilling stories of King. The horror master has been preaching sermons to millions of readers for years, only most of King’s fans don’t know it, he says.

“People tend to think that Stephen King is anti-religious because he is a horror writer, but that’s completely mistaken,” says Zahl, a retired Episcopal priest who has written about King’s religious sensibility for Christianity Today magazine. “Several of his books are parables of grace in action.”

Want to read a powerful meditation on Jesus’ sacrificial love? Check out how King links the death of the mammoth death row inmate John Coffey (note the initials, J.C.) to Jesus’ crucifixion in “The Green Mile.” King’s “Storm of the Century” is a creepy retelling of Jesus’ eerie encounter with the demon called “Legion” in the  Gospel of Mark’s fifth chapter. And King’s epic apocalyptic novel, “The Stand,” reads like a contemporary retelling of the Book of Revelation, with a little Exodus thrown in, Zahl says.

Zahl’s claim about King's faith may sound ludicrous. King, who just released his latest novel, “The Wind Through the Keyhole,” has written at least 50 horror novels such as “Carrie” and “Misery.”

Yet there is an actual body of literature devoted to King’s religious sensibility. Several pastors and authors say King displays a sophisticated grasp of theology in his books, and his stories are stuffed with biblical references and story lines taken straight from the Bible.

“If God brought lawsuits, Stephen King would face a charge of plagiarism,” says J.M. Rawbone, an English horror novelist who has written an essay about the Christian themes in “The Stand.”

King, whose publicist did not answer a request for an interview, has talked about his faith before. He describes himself as a Christian on his website and elsewhere has said he was raised as a “hard-nosed” Methodist taught to believe in the Antichrist.

Some of his literary influences are Christian authors. In one interview, King said he was shaped by C.S. Lewis, author of “The Chronicles of Narnia,” and J.R.R. Tolkien, author of “The Lord of the Rings.” Both Lewis and Tolkien were devout Christians who layered their fiction with Christian themes.

“I’ve always tried to contrast that bright, white light of real goodness or Godliness against evil,” he said in a 1988 interview. “I’m not a proselytizer, and I hate organized religion. I think it’s one of the roots of real evil that’s in the world. If you really unmask Satan, you’ll probably find that he’s wearing a turnaround collar.”

The best way, though, to understand King’s faith is not through his words, but through his stories. There are at least three biblical themes that run through them.

A child shall lead them

Every horror writer seems to write a vampire story eventually, and King is no exception. “Salem’s Lot” is one of King’s most popular novels. It depicts a vampire’s attempt to colonize a modern-day New England town.

Traditional vampire stories are loaded with Christian symbolism, but King inserts another biblical theme into “Salem’s Lot” that would reoccur in many of his books.

It comes in a scene showing a standoff between a priest and vampire. Father Callahan tries to protect a teenage boy with him by brandishing a cross. The vampire dares the priest to toss the cross away and face him on faith alone.

Father Callahan hesitates, his faith long diluted by alcohol and skepticism. The vampire wrenches the cross from the priest’s hands, while the boy escapes and becomes one of the vampire’s most formidable enemies.

When the Rev. David Squyres read this passage from “Salem’s Lot,” one of Jesus’ most popular sayings flashed before him: “… Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”

In the moral universe of King, children get God better than the adults, Squyres says.

“The vampire humiliates the priest because the priest doesn’t have real faith, but the kid has real faith,” says Squyres, pastor of the Palms Baptist Church near Palm Springs, California.

“The priest represents the Pharisees. They believe in relics. But the children, and the teenager, have a simple faith. They don’t put their trust in institutions. They trust in the Lord,” says Squyres, who has written about King’s Christian sensibility at his website, "talkstephenking."

Many of King’s most popular novels are filled with young heroines driven by faith. It’s a reflection of a famous passage from the Book of Isaiah in the Old Testament: “And a little child shall lead them.”

In “The Talisman” and “It,” King features adolescent heroes who risk their lives battling evil, according to Marylaine Block, who wrote about King’s religious sensibility in an essay called "Something Wicked This Way Comes."

“In both novels, the adults are incapable of understanding the evil that is about to envelop and destroy their world. They see the signs, but choose not to understand them. Only the children know what is happening, and know that it is up to them to save the people they care about,” she wrote.

God can be cruel

King’s most explicit Christian novel is “Desperation,” which features another adolescent hero driven by faith. The boy, David, is converted by a miracle and prays to God for help. King depicts his faith without irony and with reverence.

“Desperation,” though, contains an unusual description of God that reveals some heavy theology from King, several pastors say. During the bloody climax of the story, a character tells the boy that God is “cruel.”

That line caught the attention of Zahl, the Episcopal priest. It speaks to what he calls “the answerable sovereignty of God.”

Zahl says King is depicting a side of God that’s woven into the Bible. It is not the God whose eye is on the sparrow, but the Holy Other, incomprehensible, the one who allowed Job to suffer.

It’s the same side of God that the narrator in “The Green Mile” reflects on when he reminisces about the death of the innocent John Coffey, the Christ-like figure who never hurt anyone, but perished while a villainous guard lived on.

Zahl points to this passage from ”The Green Mile”:

“Yet this same God sacrificed John Coffey, who tried only to do good in his blind way, as savagely as an Old Testament prophet ever sacrificed a defenseless lamb. ...  If it happens, God lets it happen, and when we say, ‘I don’t understand,’ God replies, ‘I don’t care.’ ”

Zahl says King can say things about God in books that pastors can’t say in the pulpit. In King’s novels, people often suffer while doing good.

“Americans generally want to hear that everything is really terrific all the time,” Zahl says. “Americans want to control and manage everything, and they’re eager for anything that pumps them up. When you preach a message from the Bible that life is much more difficult, and there’s a huge amount of suffering, those messages don’t always go down well.”

'God chose the weak things'

As a teenager, King used to collect scrapbooks filled with newspaper clippings detailing the crimes of serial killers, says Stanley Wiater, co-author of “The Complete Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of Stephen King.”

King's mother grew so concerned that one day she asked him why he kept the scrapbook.

Wiater says King answered with: “I think there’s evil out there. I want to know what it is, so when it comes, I can recognize it and get out of the way.”

In King’s books, characters can’t avoid evil. They have to confront it, but they often don’t fit the conventional definition of heroes.

“The Stand,” another explicitly Christian novel, illustrates this pattern. A plague has wiped out mankind, and a group of unarmed survivors are dispatched via a vision from God to confront a satanic figure called the Darkman.

The group seems to have no chance. One is an elderly, genial professor; another a deaf mute, and a third figure is a genial man with the mental capacity of a child. Against them: the Darkman’s ruthless army, which literally crucified its foes.

The makeup of the group underscores another popular religious theme in King’s work that’s reflected in this line from the apostle Paul in the first Book of Corinthians: “God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.”

Zahl, the Episcopal priest, says so many heroes in King’s books are broken people: physically frail, alcoholic, disabled and lonely. Even the evil people are rendered with compassion.

“King understands grace at a deep level,” says Zahl, author of  "Grace in Practice." “He typically concentrates on the marginalized and the outsiders who ultimately carry the day. God often does his work where people are the most messed up.”

King may have converted Zahl, but the priest and others admit there’s a risk invoking the horror novelist in the pulpit.

When Zahl mentions King in church, he says many listeners think first of books they want to keep away from teenagers.

Still, there are secret converts.

“Half of the other people in the congregation have read Stephen King, though they may not want to shout it out to the world,” he says. “They know what I’m talking about. They come up later and they say I’m really thrilled that you know about him.”

The doubters shouldn’t be surprised that King’s stories contain religious themes, says Rawbone, the English horror novelist and author of "Bunker."

The Bible is filled with terror: demons, ghosts, floods wiping out mankind and the rising of the dead.

“Good horror examines the struggle between good and evil,” he says. “The Bible is the history of that struggle.

“The Bible is in many ways the ultimate horror novel.”

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Books • Celebrity • Christianity • Jesus • Movies

soundoff (1,461 Responses)
  1. Prometheus

I have never thought that the novel by Shelly: 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus' was a horror novel. Nor do I think that either the story of Dracula or the Wolf-man is a horror story. They are methods by which the author shows the faults of the human condition without his work being condemned by those who feel righteous about their own personal motives. It provides a target for the ire of those same people while also illuminating possibilities for those who can read between the lines and do not 'bite the baited hook' of the moral majority.

'Slaughterhouse Five' anyone.....anyone?

Remember: "ALL THINGS SERVE THE BEAM."

June 3, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • Lieutenant Scheisskopf

Frankenstein was really an exploration of the Romanticist theme of the natural and the primitive self versus the refined and the civilized self, where Frankenstein and his monster are doppelgangers.

Stoker's Dracula was mor in line with horror as it was then done – Texas Chainsaw Massacre" would not play well in Victorian times.

I don't recall if there is a literary Wolfman – I seem to recall that it was just a movie made back when Hollywood first made horror films.

June 3, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • Lieutenant Scheisskopf

Wow, I really am a scheisskopf! I thought I was referring to Schlachthof Fünf, but I did Catch 22 instead.

And so it goes.

June 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
  2. O M G

When will the Jews behind CNN ever stop bashing Christianity for God's sake?!?

June 3, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, knock off your anti-Semitic barf.

June 3, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • O M G

I'm a Semite too.... how can I be Anti-Semitic then? oOo

June 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm |

How? By being an azz.

June 3, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • Mattand

Anti-Semitic and dumb as a post. Pro tip: you're a disgrace to humanity.

June 3, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
  3. Alicia Johnson

Why is this article written, if you can't deduct the basis of most of his literature you are quite blind. I was hoping this article might offer something a bit more insightful, not blatantly obvious. Sigh.

June 3, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  4. And Now For Something Completely Different

Total change of subject here, but I just have to share something that just happened to me.

I was out running some errands and stopped at the gas station. I am wearing a black t-shirt with "Come to the Dark Side, We have cookies" in white gothic font. The guy behind the counter stares at the shirt for a moment, and here is the conversation that follows

Gas dude: "Come to the dark side? You have to take that shirt off."
    Me: "Excuse me?"
    Gas dude: "That's bad. You should take that off."
    Me, a bit confused: "It's from Star Wars. It's a joke."
    Gas dude, quiet but entirely serious: "No, that's bad. It tempts people to Satan."

Aside from laughing a bit, I just left. I drove home trying to wrap my head around the fact that the cashier actually thought a t-shirt and the promise of cookies could seduce people into satanic evil.

Needless to say, that t-shirt instantly became my favorite.

June 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Inquisition

Cookies? Where do I sign up?

June 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • tony

That's why he can only work at a gas station.

June 3, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Really, you gotta wonder. One of my colleagues has a poster that says: "I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them."

If the idiot complaining doesn't get the reference, the dolt is too stupid to worry about.

June 3, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • Prometheus

Awesome story man. I played the World of Warcraft MMO and had a T-shirt that had the emblem of 'The Horde' on it. I received frequent comments from people that I supported 'EVIL' by playing that side and wearing that shirt.

If only they knew. I played both sides but the struggle and suffering of the Horde as a whole won my heart.

June 3, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • niknak

Thats awesome!
      But no chance he was just messin with you?
      Although that would be pretty cerebral for anyone, much less the gas dude to pull off on the fly like that.

June 3, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
  5. Tyronne Foodstuffs

Yo, whut up wit McDonalds not always havin da McRibb sandwich on they menu ? Is it becuz black people like em so much ? Huh ? McDonalds is racist. I wuzn't gonna post but I feel like I gotta point out this jive turkey.I see McDonalds alwayz keep french fries on they menu.You know why ? Cuz white people eat em.That's why.Watch.Let black people start eating fries an I bet they take em off da menu.

June 3, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • G. Zeus Kreiszchte

What are you smokin?

June 3, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Tyronne Foodstuffs

I aint smokin nuthun.I bet you white.You don't know whut itz like being black.They even deprive us of food.Dey don't keep da McRibb on the menu.But yall get fries and I'm sposed to be quiet.Aint that about a B.

June 3, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • niknak

I really find it amusing when white trash try to pass themselves off as black.
      Yours is an especially funny attempt.
      But not funny as in ha ha, funny as in strang.
      Please go to another site, like Fix news or Red State. They might appreciate your lack of humor.

June 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Inquisition

I can smell your racism from here.

June 3, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  6. Inquisition

FACT: 94% of all christians have never read the buybull cover to cover.

June 3, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • G. Zeus Kreiszchte

If they did then they might find too many contradictions and start backslidin'.

June 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Jon O

Tests on religious knowledge puts Atheists at the top of the list. Christians are at the bottom with American Christians far less knowledgeable than their European counterparts...

American Christians scream the loudest but know the least.

June 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Cq

That's because they read it like a user's manual. Having "technical problems" with your belief? Read these sections. Want to justify your bigotry towards gays? Read these passages. That's how many Christians "read" the Bible.

June 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Natch

FACT: 95% of all statistics are made up!!

June 3, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • 1word

That's the problem with man, if he doesn't keep his mind on Christ he will backslide. If you try to be friends of the world you will backslide.

June 3, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  7. G. Zeus Kreiszchte

When I think of Christians I think of the loony character in Misery, Annie Wilkes. I'm Jeezus's number one fan!

June 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hmm. She bears a disturbing resemblance to HS, !word, and just saying.

June 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • Cq

When I think of Misery I think of home schooling.

June 3, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  8. Cq

I remember the character of Carrie's mother. When I read it first I never could have imagined any real Christian being that crazy, and scary, but now ... now she just seems kinda typical, especially of some of the characters posting here. King is right; it's important to know what evil really looks like.

June 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm |

smirk

June 3, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • Cq

Tom
      I'm serious! Carrie's mom was the real monster in that book. Switch her for a typical mom and Carrie would have turned out fine, even with her powers. She scared me more than the vampire boy of Salem's Lot.

June 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, no doubt, Cq. Piper Laurie was terrific, literally, in the role! I was just *smirking* because I always imagine that character when I see posts from HS.

It's especially gratifying to recall the penultimate scene, in which Carrie's horrible mother is pinioned by multiple knives in a position mimicking the crucifixion she so venerated.

June 3, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Webster

Tom, Tom,

Not to be picky, but I know that you like words (and their correct usage).

"Penultimate" means:

"next to the last

anything that is next to the last, esp a penult"

It does not mean "super-duper ultimate" or anything like that. "Ultimate" stands alone.

June 3, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I know what "penultimate" means, thanks. And I meant what I said.

June 3, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Cq

Tom
      The truly scary thing is that there are probably a great many fundamentalists who saw that scene as a triumphant martyrdom of a "true believer" battling her demon-possessed daughter. They would never see the mother's part in screwing up the girl's mind.

June 4, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  9. Tom Paine

And the author of this essay didn't even note "The Shawshank Redemption" which very much has a Christian theme.

June 3, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  10. tony

If Jesus had really wanted the rest of the people in the World to learn about god as he saw him, then he would hardly have expected a handful of missionaries to be able to do that in time to catch them all before they died.

Sound like god can't do even basic math.

June 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

And yet so many of us have heard the word with more to come. Sounds like a miracle doesn't it?

June 4, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  11. Scott

The opening quote you state that is from King (...heart of a small boy yada yada yada) is actually from Robert Bloch in which King borrowed. You're a writer. Get your facts straight. 🙂

June 3, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  12. Gill Avila

King lifted the heart in a jar bit from Robert Bloch!!!

June 3, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • Scott

I just stated the same thing. Thanks, Gill, for also knowing the truth. 🙂

June 3, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yes, the fact that the author of the article didn't do sufficient research was pointed out earlier by another poster. Still, it's a great quote.

June 3, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Frank

But my pastor said that Jesus said it first. Are you calling baby Jesus a liar?

June 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
  13. Nii

When was the last time a Xtian ordered kidnapping for ransom in Colombia! or the bombing of a police station in India or an insurgency in Nepal or the Cultural Revolution in Cambodia or civil war in Angola or in Mozambique or Collectivisation in Ukraine. Or .... You read! I study!

June 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Nii

NIKNAK
      I don't want to add causing a civil war in Afghanistan which continues to kill people. selling nuclear tech to unstable regimes like DPRK, Libya and Iran. Or grinding Eastern Europe underfoot and retarding progress for 50yrs. Or the assassination of the Ethiopian Royal Family. Funding I.R.A.

June 3, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • niknak

What?
      So you argument is that when something bad happens it is because of an atheist?
      I bet those FARC rebels who kidnap people all believe in god.
      The bombing of the police station in India was commited by Islamists, who believe in god just like you.
      Civil wars in Africa have to do with power. Just like the British who fought us for power over the Americas.
      Girl, you need to study, and come up with a rational argument.

June 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • NiiTwit

Everything you listed has nothing to do with religion or atheism. Your first example is especially comic, because most kidnappings in South America ARE done by Christians.

Just as only a tiny percentage of Stalin's atrocities had anything to do with religion.

You keep pulling out the same lie, trying to say that Communism = atheism. Wrong. Atheism existed well before Communism and was not marked by violence, and it prospers after Communism died, also in its peaceful form.

If you wish to persist with your little theory, then you have to accept the atrocities of Mussolini and Hitler and every Bana Republic dictator who sided with Christianity as they mass murdered.

Go on, let's hear you say that's true.

June 3, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

They don't have to go that far. They just bend 'em over in the sacristy.

June 3, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Frank

When was the last time a Christian Priest raped a child? About 10 minutes ago.

June 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

A rabbi and a priest are standing on a corner and a little boy walks by. The priest says to the rabbi “hey lets f4ck him”. The rabbi asks “out of what?”

June 3, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • TheWiz71

And this has what to do with the story at hand?

June 3, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  14. closer3

I believe that Stephen King is the finest contemporary writer in the U.S. and possibly the world. His words paint portraits, he transports the reader to the setting, and his characters are so well developed as to be better known to the reader than people we have met... or live with.

June 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • Stephen Dedalus

Even Stephen King doesn't believe that. He is unapologetically a popular entertainer not a literary artist. His writing skills are well above average, but he is not a Shakespeare or a Lawrence or even a Twain, nor is he trying to be. The Stand will never be in the same class as Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man, and it was never intended to be.

King is good pop culture. He is not creating art, and never intended to. Don't make him into something that even he knows he is not.

June 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • supernovus

Steven Dedalus, I think Mr. King's work is indeed art. Maybe different from those you mention, but art nonetheless. He may not be Shakespeare, but neither are you Joyce.

June 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, please. Art? No. If you think so, you know nothing about art.

June 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • Valli

Exactly right. He is also a realist. He knows there is a lot of evil nasty stuff in the world, and that it is how we react to the crap that shows our character (or lack of). This life is just a test. I do hope he has read Ephesians 2: 8-9 though, because I really like him and hope to see him in Heaven someday.

June 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Valli

For the record, my reply was to the original statement made by closer3.

June 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • Wow. Okay.

Realist. The guy who writes about demons and ghosts and werewolves and possessed cars and devil dogs is a realist. Gotcha.

Would it be safe to say that you did not do very well in your high school literature classes?

June 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  15. 1word

2 Timothy 3:1-4

King James Version (KJV)

3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Does this scripture describe the people of this world? This was written over 1900 years ago.

June 3, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • niknak

Dude, you could use that to say who won last year's superbowl.
      It is meaningless, except to adleminded people.
      Just like everything esle is your magic book of spells.
      But go ahead and use your computer, and your car, take the airplane, seek medical care when you are sick, enjoy your TV programs, all the while believing it all came from some mythical presence you call god (or allah, or shiva, or thor, or the pink unicorn.........etc etc etc).

June 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • 1word is 1bigmoron

Those vague generalizations have be vaguely true for the entirity of human history. That's about as amazing a prophecy was saying the end of times will come when there are wars and rumors of war, and all that other stuff that has been going on constantly since the beginning of the human race.

"And when men, in their arrogance, have one head and two hands, then truly will the end of times be near! And if their buttocks numbereth two, the rapture is at hand!"

June 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • 1word

Despiser of them that are Good. You ever noticed a Child of God is trying to be peaceful and aren't calling names? It's the unbelievers that are vial and unpleasing to be around. Thank you Lord for your favor on my life!

June 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

Not to worry kids. Those "last day's" have been a-commin for only 2000 years now.

June 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm |

"Vial"? REALLY?

I couldn't make up this sort of comedy act if I tried. Thanks, honey. You make me laugh every time you exhibit your ignorance.

June 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • 2words

Bull Sh1t.

June 3, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Oh My!

That must mean that ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq has two buttocks!! Run for the hills! Gonna be really crowded with all 1,200,000,000 Christians in the hills hunkering in the hills outside Judea like Jesus told them to do!

June 3, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

That would be a first. They never did what he told them before. Why would they start now.

June 3, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well, unless it was conVEENient.

June 3, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • JWT

You make the absolute and erroneous assumption that all people follow or believe in your god, or that your god exists to all people.

June 3, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
  16. a different Dan

God is not a guy in the sky. "God is spirit", (an intelligent being without shape or form).

We are Spirit and, "You are Gods"

It is chance that does not exist. Everything that happens is created by by us not our creator. Everything that will happen is a result of what we do, not what our creator will do to us or for us.

God did not sacrifice Jesus, Jesus sacrificed himself. God gave us control of our lives and told us how to make our creation work. When all else fails; read the instructions.

June 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • niknak

And you can prove how?
      The bible?
      A book re-written so many times that there have been how many different religions based on it?
      Why not think for yourself, using the brain that evolution has given you, instead of believing in what you were told as a child.

June 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • The Happy Word of God

I read the instructions, and so I killed my son for getting uppity with me. I killed a stranger for taking the Lord's name in vain. Saw a guy working on Sunday, and I whacked him for that. I fouond out that the girl next door was betrothed and did not cry out when she was raped, so I followed the instructions and killed her. I killed a whole lotta women who were found to not be virgins on their wedding night – lots of those – and I had to kill all those Buddhists who were worshiping another God. Had to kill all those Wiccans too.

I really am kept very busy following God's instructions.

June 3, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • niknak

Of course you had to.
      god would expect nothing less from one of it's loving followers.

June 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
    • THWG STINKS

Of course, use things that seem harsh in the Old Testament, but completely disregard that Jesus broke these laws and made it to where we can seek forgiveness through prayer.

June 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • Read Up, Stinky! Jesus Directly Orders You To Obey Those Old Laws!

Matthew 5:17-20

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Let's read that line again: "Until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law"

June 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

@Read up,
      You don't happen to have any lesser squirrels in the yard do you ?

June 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • ןןɐq ʎʞɔnq

God is not intelligent. "Intelligence" is a process. THAT requires time. If his existence requires time, he isn't it's creator. Grow a brain.

June 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • Read Up, Stinky! Jesus Directly Orders You To Obey Those Old Laws!

Hell no I don't have any lesser squirrels in my yard! I ran them over with the lawn mower. The little bastards kept bonking me on the head with acorns and screaming "Power To The Rodents!", so I went Stephen King on their furry asses, fired up the Lawn Boy and zoomed around screaming "Redrum!" "REDRUM!!!" as I turned them into squirrel sushi (a delicacy down here in Mississississississississississississippi).

One particularly annoying squirltard kept claiming to be some kind of immortal demigod, but I Benihana-ed him something special. I kill a squirrel for fun, but for a green card, I carve him up real nice. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

So no, I ain't got no stinking rodent dieties no more.

June 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • Valli

Genesis 1:27 God created man in his own image. If you believe in the bible (God's word), then you believe in the trinity. In Latin it means three are one (the father, the son, and the holy ghost (spirit). A really tough one to wrap your mind around.
      (John 1:14-18)
      And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.
      I'll understand it all when I get to Heaven. For now, I have faith that if God said it, it is the truth.

June 3, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  17. mike

did'nt King write about a car?

June 3, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • tallulah13

That was Christine. Creeped me out when I was a kid.

June 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • deano

Christine, I believe...

June 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • mike

Yeah that's the one! That was kinda creepy but the car was sweet

June 3, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • mike

Hey am I missing something? I thought King was a fiction writer, not a religious writer? Lucas used some of the same themes too

June 3, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • mike

so how is bucky ball doing his name upside down? that is cool!

June 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Fun, Fun, Fun

"ʇxǝʇ pǝʇɹǝʌuı" ǝlƃooƃ

Вы можете также писать на иностранных языках, если вы хотите

June 3, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
  18. Nii

I love it when atheists use being gay as an insult on Xtians. If I saw someone insult someone white with the N word theres no way he's gonna convince me he's not a rac.ist

June 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • I thought jesus was white..

actually, I've yet to see that. In contrast, you are admitting to being a bigot. Understood, christian. You people love to hate and judge.

June 3, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Okey Dokey

Hey genius, that's not an atheist. It's a common, garden-variety troll.

June 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • Nii

THOUGHT
      Every story can teach u to be a better person. As S Paul wud say," the evil man sees the evil in everything and the good man the good in all things".

June 3, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Nii

THOUGHT
      As I said if u cud see evil being done by an Atheist I wud doff my hat off to you! It takes an open mind to see beyond your religion's failings. We Xtians have our history to show us where we fell. You Atheists r always in denial!

June 3, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • niknak

Really Nii, you want to use history?
      Let's see, when was the last time an athiest flew an airplane into a building?
      Or burned a witch at the stake?
      Or went on a crusade?
      Or handled a poisonous snake, then got bit, then waited 12 hours to go to the hospital and died?

I could go on, but even you might get the point.
      It is you whacked out religious xtians who are out there doing the atrocities in the name of your made up man in the sky.

June 3, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • NIKNAK Sucks

If a Mexican commits a murder, then are you going to say all Mexicans are murderers? If a "Christian" steals something, are all Christians thieves?
      Exactly. Don't try to use that kind of thinking because it makes you look like a fool

June 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • Hey Sucky Guy!

Show me where he says "all".

June 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • niknak

So you went thru all that trouble creating a screen name just to say I suck?
      I am flattered.
      No, I would not call all Mexicans murderes if one commitis a murder.
      But you GObP types will, and do, on Fix news and your am radio talk shows.
      Hey, isn't there a poisonous snake somewhere near you that needs to be held?

June 3, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
  19. PRISM 1234

"You shall know them by their fruits"
    And just as gra/pevines don't produce th/orns and thi/stl/es, so does not someone who is a Christian produce dem/onic stories. There is no way to clothe the stories this man writes, to make them to be what this article claims that they are..... It's just ut/terly pathetic what they are now days trying to pass as being "Christian"!
    It would be laughable if it was not of such serious matter.
    I thank God for His Holy Spirit whom He gives to those who are His own, to be able to tell what is true and false.
    Blessed be the Name of Jesus Christ our LORD, and to Him belongs all praise, honor and glory, forever!

June 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • Nii

I read King's the Dark Half. Excellent and moral story though horror. It is not wrong. See beyond the story to the moral. If u can't see the lesson in a story why read the Bible at all?

June 3, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • niknak

OK, you can go back to your cleaning your guns now.
      You know, just in case you have to kill someone who does not believe in your god.

June 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • niknak

Good point Nii, why would anyone read the bible?
      If that is where you get your moral compass, then you are lost.

June 3, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, look. Prissy's drunk again.

June 3, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Cq

Nii
      When Jesus told his parables were they just invented stories told to illustrate a moral, or actual, literal events? You can read the Bible for it's moral teaching without believing that everything in it literally happened, or is true, right?

June 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're assuming Nii can read.

June 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
    • Valli

How about you stop acting all religious and act more biblical. I assume you read it even though it contains countless references to demons:The Christian Scriptures (New Testament):

The belief in Satan and his army of demons first appears in Jewish writings after 300 BCE. At the time of the 1st century CE, it is a well developed concept in Palestine. There are literally dozens of passages referring to demon possession causing mental and physical illnesses. A major feature of Jesus' ministry is portrayed as curing people of demonic possession through exorcism.
      bullet Matthew 4:24: "...they brought unto him [Jesus] all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy..."
      bullet Matthew 8:16: "When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils..."
      bullet Matthew 8:28-34: "And when he [Jesus] was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce..." (KJV; devils are normally translated as demons in other Bible versions).
      bullet Matthew 9:32-33: "As they went out, behold, they brought to him a dumb man possessed with a devil."
      bullet Matthew 10:1: "And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease."
      bullet Matthew 12:22: "Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb..."
      bullet Matt 12:43-45: "When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none."
      bullet Matthew 15:22: "And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil."
      bullet Matthew 17:14-18: "There came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying, Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed...And Jesus rebuked the devil; "
      bullet Mark 1:23: "And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out..."
      bullet Mark 3:11: "And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried..."
      bullet Mark 3:22-26: "And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils."
      bullet Mark 5:2-20: "...there met him [Jesus] out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains: Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him. And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones."
      bullet Mark 6:7: "And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;"
      bullet Mark 7:2: "For a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet:"
      bullet Mark 9:17-25: "I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit; And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away:... and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming...[Jesus] rebuked the foul spirit..."
      bullet Mark 9:38: "...Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us..."
      bullet Mark 16:9: "...Jesus...appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils."
      bullet Mark 16:17: "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils..."
      bullet Luke 4:33: "And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice..."
      bullet Luke 4:41: "and devils also came out of many, crying out..."
      bullet Luke 8:2-3 "And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others..."
      bullet Luke 8:33: "Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked."
      bullet Luke 9:38-42: "...a man of the company cried out, saying, Master, I beseech thee, look upon my son: for he is mine only child. And, lo, a spirit taketh him, and he suddenly crieth out; and it teareth him that he foameth again, and bruising him hardly departeth from him....And Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit..."
      bullet Luke 10:17: "And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name."
      bullet Luke 11:14: "And he [Jesus] was casting out a devil, and it was dumb..."
      bullet Luke 11:15: "But some of them said, He casteth out devils through Beelzebub the chief of the devils."
      bullet John 7:20-21: "The people answered and said, Thou hast a devil: who goeth about to kill thee?"
      bullet John 8:48-49: "Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?"
      bullet John 10:20: "And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?"

A number of references relate to the final destiny of Satan and his demons. They are to be thrust into Hell, described as a lake of fire. In these passages, Satan's angels apparently refer to his demons:
      bullet Matthew 25:4: "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."
      bullet 1 Peter 2:4: "For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment."
      Jude 1:6: "And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day."
      bullet Revelation 12:9: "And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

Demons are also mentioned elsewhere in the Christian Scriptures:
      bullet Acts 19:13-16: "And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded."
      bullet James 2:19: "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."
      bullet Revelation 9:20: "And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk"
      bullet Various passages describe how Satan can adopt a spirit form, reside inside a person, and influence their thoughts and behavior in the same way as a demon can:
      bullet Ephesians 2:2 describes him as a spirit who works within "the children of disobedience."
      bullet John 13:2 describes how Satan "put into" Judas Isariot's mind the decision to betray Jesus.
      bullet Acts 5:3 describes how Satan filled Ananias' heart with the decision to lie to the Holy Ghost about the proceeds of a real estate sale.

Anyway, SK generally tries to impart a moral lesson in virtually every one of his novels. He often directly quotes from the bible in his books. So as far as your opinion regarding King's Christianity: Matthew 7:1-5
      “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

June 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • FedUP!

This truly is an evil an perverse generation, calling evil good and good evil!

June 3, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Here are some sobering facts about Stephen King's work!

For you who think you're Christians, ask yourself, what does Spirit of God have to say about such works? Do you even know, or have you been taken and swallowed by the tide of the world, becoming so numb that you can't even discern God's voice?

June 3, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, stop your hyperventilating, Prissy Hissy. Really, get yourself some of them there smelling salts and shut up a while.

June 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Cq

FedUP!
      I know what you mean. I find it perverse when some call a loving relationship between two people "evil" just because both are of the same gender, and call telling lies about science "good" just because it doesn't agree with what they were told to believe about the Bible. Yup, it's a perverse world, all right!

June 4, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wonder if psychos like Prissy would advocate banning the works of all those it deems "unfit".

Hmm. Didn't some guy with a funny little mustache do that some years back?

June 4, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  20. Tim Tebow

Analingus is my favorite pasttime.

June 3, 2012 at 6:05 pm |