home
RSS
FBI recovers rare first-edition of the Book of Mormon
The FBI recovered a stolen first-edition of the Book of Mormon.
June 14th, 2012

FBI recovers rare first-edition of the Book of Mormon

By Carol Cratty, CNN

(CNN)–Law enforcement agents have recovered a rare first-edition copy of the Book of Mormon that was reported stolen from a Mesa, Arizona, bookstore in late May.

The FBI announced Thursday the religious book, first published in 1830 in New York, was located two days ago in Herndon, Virginia, and a suspect was arrested.

The Book of Mormon is considered scripture by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints, on par with the Bible.

Jay Michael Linford, 48, is awaiting extradition to Arizona, where he faces charges of theft and trafficking in stolen property.

CNN's Belief Blog: the faith angles behind the big stories

According to a court affidavit, the owner of the Arizona bookstore - identified only as Witness 1 - reported the theft to the Mesa Police Department on May 28.

The bookstore owner told police she had been in business with Linford, who brokered the sale of pages of the rare book on her behalf.

The woman said their business relationship had ended but Linford knew she kept the first-edition in a locked fireproof box in a file cabinet and had access to it around the time she believes it was stolen. According to the affidavit, Witness 1 said Linford had a key to the box and to the location where the book could be found.

The bookstore owner told police once she realized the book was missing - along with its fireproof box - she contacted Linford and he "denied having the book or having any knowledge of its location."

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

The affidavit says the bookstore owner also reached out to people who buy and sell rare books to alert them that the book had been stolen.

A Texas man identified as Witness 2 replied that he recently had bought two pages of a Book of Mormon from Linford for $7,500 and that Linford said the book was owned by a family in North Carolina. The pages were shipped to the Texas man, who later determined they did come from the Arizona woman's first-edition.

The FBI's Art Theft unit and other agents investigated and found the book after locating the suspect staying with an acquaintance in Virginia, the affidavit said.

The FBI would not estimate how much this edition of the Book of Mormon might be worth. The Arizona bookstore owner placed the value at $100,000. However, the Mesa Police Department consulted experts who gave an estimate of $40,000 because pages had been taken out of the book and sold.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Books • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mormonism

soundoff (2,069 Responses)
  1. Good Grief!

it's mind boggling that people believe this tripe!

June 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  2. BriSoFla

Happy Gay Pride Month Everyone!

See how relevant that is to the above article? It isn't obviously and so are 99% of the comments made on these boards. If you have nothing nice to say, close your browser, shut your computer down, go outside and have a nice day.

June 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • pastmorm

Wow briso...thanks so much for thinking for us! Thanks for telling us what to do! Thanks for taking away our freedom of speech...

For non-mormons...what BriSO is doing is what the mormon church teaches. You CANNOT speak against the mormon beliefs...just like the Taliban huh?

June 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • JWT

I've met some nice mormons, and read about some truly stupid things the mormons do as a group. So about the usual – good people crappy group.

June 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • countzeroc

Awesome comment 🙂

June 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  3. Bob

Is Mormonism a joke? Sure. But no more so than Christianity. So all those Christians bashing Mormons for believing absurd things that have been proven wrong need to take a look in the mirror.

June 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • veggiedude

June 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  4. .

There is a lot of sarcasm, negative comments, and personal insults going on here. Nevertheless, as I trade barbs I find myself caring for you as friends. I believe that many of you are sincere atheists and believe what you say. I would like to relate a personal story to you. I have always been a devout follower of Jesus Christ and his church, but as a young man I liked motorcycles. One beatiful summer day I was traveling home on a local highway. The sun was shining, the wind was blowing in my hair; I felt on top of the world. I began approaching an intersection to turn into my subdivision. The car ahead of me was being really slow and annoying. I thought in my mind, "I will make short work of this guy!" and I gunned the throttle and went screeming around the car. Suddenly there was a car coming head on in front of me! I laid the motorcycle on its side and began sliding down the road toward the car. I remember watching the license plate in great detail and in slow motion coming closer and closer! I was, perhaps, 40 or 50 feet away when some power grabbed hold of the motorcycle and stood it upright. The rear wheel was still spinning and jerked me into the barpit! The car screeched past. I sat there for a moment very shaken and I litterally heard a voice from heaven. " Now (he said my name), would you like to continue riding your fine motorcycle or would you like to stay on earth and raise your family?". I just looked up and I said, " I hear you Lord. I choose to raise my family.". I rode slowly home. The neighbor boy came over looking for something and I just asked him if he wanted my motorcycle and gave it to him. I began thinking, "what have I done?" but his father was wise enough to trade it for a trailer.

This is a true story. It was not as dramatic as Joseph Smith's testimony, but it was close enough that I will never, ever question it. There is another dimension which is spiritual and does not operate by the same rules as the physical universe. I hope you will realize that just because you have not had a similar experience does not mean that someone else has not.

June 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • pastmorm

ROFL! Thankyou for your sanctimonious, megalomaniac response . We're so glad that you are above all of us and that the mormon church has made you so superior and perfect!

June 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  5. Peteyroo

With my Borderline Personality Disorder, I am also diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder (they often go hand in hand, that's why they can be so damaging to other people). I can't stop writing on here because I have to have all the attention I can get, even if it's negative, I have to have it! I'm an Atheist because I want to be worshiped!! Bow before me all of you freaks!

June 19, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • md

ewwwwwwwwwww!

June 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
  6. Betty Crocker is God

All of the truth of the universe is contained on the boxes of Her bake mixes. So I can settle this debate by quoting The Box if Fudge Brownies, panel 3, the Book of Directions, Verily I say onto thee, beat two eggs into the mix until thou hast made a thick batter, then add milk, and continue stirring until creamy
    There. God has Spoken. No need to think now. Her Word is Her Brownie.

June 19, 2012 at 3:49 am |

Amen!

June 19, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • md

So God wants us to eat partially hydrogenated fats (PHF) that take the place of 'essential' (necessary for life) oils? PHF molecules take over sentry job in cells, allowing anything and everything into cell, and allowing essential for life stuff out of cells. Our bodies know we will die if we do not eat ESSENTIAL oils; like olive oil, nuts, seeds; and so makes us hungry until we do; resulting in mucho fat. This is what God wants for us? I always know when I've eaten partially or fully hydrogenated fats–it causes acid indigestion–your body does not want that garbage.

June 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Betty Crocker is God

Your sarcasm detection meter may be malfunctioning.

June 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

No wonder those damn cakes are so addictive!

June 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Peteyroo

As an atheist I don't have a dog in this hunt, but the falsehoods and outright vile lies I'm seeing are astonishing. First and foremost is the argument that Mormons are not Christians. They are. They certainly have a whole bunch of different beliefs and practices–very different from mainstream Christians–, but they are nonetheless Christians. Why? The very definition of Christian is the acceptance of Jesus as your savior–period. There are no other requirements to be called a Christian. Mormons don't own Jesus. Mainstream Christians don't own Jesus. The pope doesn't own Jesus. Get over it. Share Jesus or pick a different religion.

June 19, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • Peteyroo

For get what I said, there is a God and he's the way

June 19, 2012 at 1:36 am |

June 19, 2012 at 1:39 am |
    • LinCA

@Peteyroo

You said, "I see that someone is stealing my name again. Smart readers regardless of religious persuasion will know which posts are mine–I hope."
      Smart readers will.

June 19, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • chefdugan

Just another work of fiction revered by a bunch of kooks. Forget the stupid book and show me the golden tablets! Now they are worth something.

June 19, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • Peteyroo

I know that I keep accusing people of stealing my name, but I do have Borderline Personality Disorder and even though I love to play people against each other, sometimes I get carried away and my true self comes out. Right now, I'm in a Psychiatric Unit outside Memphis. My therapist told me that he wants me to interact with people in a healthy way...so....he just read my last posts and saw that I was attacking people again. I do that because it makes me feel powerful, but I know that I am powerless and I have so many problems.

June 19, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • Peteyroo

Then again, anybody that's smart won't read my posts.

June 19, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • Mike

The phrase is "not a dog in this fight," meaning that you have nothing to gain, regardless of who loses. To "not have a dog in this hunt" might mean that you just don't know where to go, since dogs lead the hunt.

But then, as an atheist, maybe you don't have a dog in the hunt.

June 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • Bobby

Jews started to follow Jesus and became Christians. They did not still claim to be Jews because their thoughts and beliefs changed. Joseph Smith found golden tablets and his beliefs (and those that followed) also changed. So therefore, the Mormon church should not align themselves with traditional Christians. There should be distinction. It only makes sense.

June 19, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
  8. shep

I would like to see an hour long program on national TV where Mitt Romney is asked questions about the Mormon church. Real questions. If he answered honestly, his candidacy would be over. Don't worry, we will never see that show.

June 19, 2012 at 12:48 am |
    • .

Why, Shep, I don't think you have been paying attention. There have been numerous objective docu mentaries, many right here on CNN, which have discussed the church in great detail. You mean you would like to see one based on lies and half truths, right? Most people are not interested in such junk!

June 19, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • Peteyroo

Once more we see the pot calling the kettle black. Your own views are as ridiculous as the Mormon nonsense. There is no God, no Jesus, no unicorns, no leprechauns, no Tooth Fairy, no Santa Claus.

June 19, 2012 at 1:06 am |
    • Peteyroo

Actually I meant there is a Jesus and a God! And I love him very much!

June 19, 2012 at 1:33 am |
    • chefdugan

I would give anything to see Mitt in nothing but his "garments". They are supposed to ward off evil but I don't think they will ward off Obama. You're right though, if someone stands up and has a show and tell about Morman beliefts the campaign is over!

June 19, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Peteyroo

It's true! I can't live without Santa Claus! I can't, I can't I can't!!!!!! God help me, I need Santa Claus!!!!!

June 19, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  9. .

Joseph Smith was a true prophet. False prophets are always alone when they have their "visions". That is because it never happened, to put it nicely. Joseph Smith had witnesses to everything he said. Witnesses are central to the gospel. Paul said, "In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." Here is the testimony of the 3 witnesses to the Book of Mormon as set forth in the introduction to the Book of Mormon:
    "Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.
    Oliver Cowdery
    David Whitmer
    Martin
     Harris"
    That is the difference between Joseph Smith and the false prophets – JOSEPH SMITH HAD WITNESSES!
    We are also ent itled to a witness as individuals that we not be deceived. In the Book of Mormon, God gave the following promise to every one who will read the Book of Mormon with si ncerity and faith:
    " 4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sin cere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."
    5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."
    Some of you may have gotten a witness as you read these words. The Lord's sheep know his voice and the truth will have a familiar ring to them. I want to say that I have received that witness and I know of a surety that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. You can get more information at mormon.org.

June 19, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • Peteyroo

The Tooth Fairy had witnesses. Does that make her real? My neighbors say they saw unicorns in my backyard. Does that mean there are unicorns? Witnesses lie, my friend. Witnesses are the least reliable source of any proof.

June 19, 2012 at 12:50 am |
    • .

Petie, is that what all this is about? Your mommy told you there was a tooth fairy and now you have rejected God? God is real, Petie. Tooth fairies are not!

June 19, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • tallulah13

There isn't a single shred of evidence to support the existence of any god. However, the tooth fairy is alive and well, even if "she's" simply parents who wish to treat their children to something nice.

June 19, 2012 at 1:11 am |
    • Peteyroo

Hey Dot, God is not real, my friend. Neither the Mormon God nor the mainstream Christian God is real. It is all nonsense. There is no heaven. There is no hell. There is only the life you are now living. Make the best of it. Be good for goodness' sake.

June 19, 2012 at 1:12 am |
    • Get Real

"JOSEPH SMITH HAD WITNESSES"

Yeah, some relatives and some cronies. Even they said that they really didn't *see* those dang plates with their physical eyes, but with the "eyes of faith" (oy!) - like the folks in The Emperor's New Clothes, they were not going to tell JS that he was "tetched". A couple of them saw and handled some metal-like objects in a cloth bag, but were not permitted to look inside. Simply, their testimony is not believable. You have been sold a phony bill of goods.

June 19, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • chefdugan

What an bunch of baloney! It boggles my mind that anyone with an IQ larger than their hat size would buy into this trash. Nothing but fairy tales for the ignorant.

June 19, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Claire2

Joseph Smith's witnesses were ALL baptized mormons! Geez, of course they went along with the lie!!!!

June 19, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • .

You are all trying to explain this aren't you? But, you can't! People testifying who are willing to endure persecution and in some cases the loss of their own lives and those of beloved family members. You can't handle that can you?

June 19, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • ME II

@.,
      Most religions have followers that are willing to die for their beliefs, does that make them any more true?
      That being the case, how many followers would be willing to lie for their beliefs?

June 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • .

@ME2. Motive? Where is the motive? None of those men received anything but persecution and ridicule for their trouble. The only motive was they were decent, honest men and refused to deny the truth!

June 20, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  10. thatcathood

Any bookseller who tears apart a book (esp a rare and arguably sacred text) deserves to lose out. Had the thief's motive been to rescue rather than reap he'd be a hero. Instead we get two greedy people who are willing to rip apart history for profit.

Seems like whatever deity exists out there is giving them both just what they deserve.

June 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • HotAirAce

The LDS church said it was ok 'cause it helped spread the gospel.

June 19, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • Lindawer

I totally gree. Who tear pages out of a rare book to sell them individually? Isn't a rare book worth more intact? Sounds like they were both involved in shady dealings with customers who bought pages.

June 19, 2012 at 7:41 am |
  11. The Biebs

Wow! This came out four days ago and I can still come here and open a can of hate from the commenters. FUN FUN FUN!

June 18, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • The Biebs

Biebs ura srsly misguided #$%^ People like u shouldnt be allowed to vote. Hey the great thing abt this election is some ppl are gonna sit out making my vote count more! Yippee!

June 18, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
  12. Jack

Good evening. Everyone is welcome to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

June 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm |

Give it up, Jack.

June 19, 2012 at 1:16 am |
  13. shep

Here's a wiki search lineup for you. Mark Hofmann... White Horse Prophecy..... Mountain Meadows Massacre....my favorite Parley P. Pratt, Mitt Romney's great grandfather..... planet Kolob.... enjoy

June 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • peter

shep- kolob is a star where the mormon God lives near

June 18, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • .

Just go to mormon.org.

June 19, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  14. james

Hang the Sucker–

June 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  15. .

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on the teachings of Christ and the New Testament. Christ founded his church on apostles and prophets. Ephesians 2 states: "19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
    20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;"
    Apostles and prophets are absolutely essential because they hold the keys to the priesthood. If the apostles all die, the authority is lost along with revelation; we no longer know the mind and will of God and Christ is no longer the "chief cornerstone". False teachers and priests arise and we are "carried about with every wind of doctrine". Paul taught in Ephesians 4: "11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
    12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
    13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
    14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;"
    Without apostles and prophets we cannot come to a "unity of the faith" nor be perfected in Christ. Without a prophet who speaks authoritatively the will of God, only confusion can reign as people argue what God meant and uninspired men tamper with the holy scriptures!

June 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • Les

Well said! Your post is the most thorough and accurate of the teachings of the LDS position on apostles and prophets. And it clearly show that those teachings are based firmly on a biblical framework. Too bad the detractors haven't researched and studied more before they open their flaps with outrageous and unfounded criticism based on faulty understanding.

June 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • shep

Because nothing says women's rights like a religion based on polygamy

June 18, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • biblesucks

But why the under wear?

June 19, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • .

You must hve missed my earlier post. In the unlikely event that you are sincere, I will try to explain again. The underware you are referring to is not magic, but there is power in keeping the commandments of God. People who keep the commandments do not suffer from being thrown in jail or being shot (don't steal, lie, or kill), have good marriages and families (don't commit adultery or covet or drink alcohol) are more prosperous (take one day a week to rest), and have better health (don't smoke, drink tea, coffee or alcohol). We are taught to be honest and do good to others and make good employees, neighbors, and citizens. In short, we stay out of trouble. The underware you are referring to is a personal temple and reminds us to keep the commandments, because sometimes with all the corruption around us, it is easy to forget. So, what is wrong with that?

June 19, 2012 at 12:47 am |
    • .

The Temple is central to the worship of Jehoveh. If your religion does not have a temple, it is highly unlikely to be the correct one!

June 19, 2012 at 12:49 am |
    • Peteyroo

Absolute nonsense, my friend. Magic Dad and Wayward Son do not exist–not now, not ever.

June 19, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • biblesucks

I built a model airplane. Its cooler than your god. It just sits there. While ur god hates gay people, taxes the poor, caters to the rich, A Christian God tells his followers to turn their backs on their family f it doesn't match their presious book of folktales called the bible, or as I like to call it campfire kindling

June 19, 2012 at 12:53 am |
  16. peter

hawii-well we are in agreement that joeseph smith was a sick man and a false prophet–on that part we agree

June 18, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • .

Hi, Peter! How are you doing today? Maybe you can explain something to me. Hebrews 4: 5 and 6, as well as John 15: 16 clearly teaches that a man must be called of God and given authority to preach the gospel and administer in the ordinances.  This authority clearly must come from apostles and prophets as taught in Ephesians chapter 2.  The protestants apostacized from the Catholic so they cannot logically claim any priesthood authority nor could you logically have any authority to preach or interpret any scripture. So, where does your authority come from?

June 18, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@peter

I'm not even convinced of such a thing as a prophet.

June 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • steve

"For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things [pertaining] to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins: Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity. And by reason hereof he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins. And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as [was] Aaron. So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. As he saith also in another [place], Thou [art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."

Hebrews 5:1-6

June 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • peter

nameless one–has nothing to do with christendom or the bible–the fact is your so called prophet is a liar and the book of mormon,another testament of jesus christ is not the word of God nor is it Another gosepl–I don't have to claim any authority to state the fact–Repent of your false religion

June 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Les

An agreement may have been reached but the basic core of that agreement is false. Using the logic I see here in this blog, I can only conclude that Billy Graham is also a madman and a crackpot if the same "judgmental" standards are used in looking at his ministry that are used on Smith's ministry..

June 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • .

Peter, you don't know what a fact is. You have not answered my question. What is your authority?

June 19, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • .

My whole point is that your religion is, in fact, the false one. So, why are you doing this? Peter, no man or woman who is too proud to admit they are wrong will ever see the kingdom of God. You can't accept the truth now and you wouldn't have accepted Christ 2000 years ago either. You would have been one of those jews who crucified him.

June 19, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • Peteyroo

Peter, you're still wrong. The Book of Mormon is indeed nonsense–but so is the Bible.

June 19, 2012 at 12:55 am |
  17. mark

The front page says "Joseph Smith, Author and Proprietor". You can see it, but Mormons will deny that this was on the first edition of the book of mormon. An author is someone that writes something, not a translator or transcriber. A proprietor is someone that seeks to make a profit off their invention or creation. Therefore, you have the reason that the next time you ask a Mormon why the first edition of the book of mormon contained this text after their prophet's name, you'll be told, 'No, it didn't. That's a story."

June 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • peter

Be that as it may it doesn't matter because the book of mormon is not the word of God–It's sad that some people(mormons) believe such blasphemy from a sick man who lived in the 1830s

June 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

And who are you to judge what is and isn't the "word of god". Were you appointed by your god to dictate what is and is not considered to be his "word"?

June 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • peter

hawaii–we are saying that joeseph smith was a false prophet and the hand and spirit that guided him is the antichrist–cursed is your prophet joeseph smith and the christ he preached and wrote about. If you don't judge you can fall for anything as you have just demonstrated.

June 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

And yet, I'm an atheist. Just because I desagree with you presuming to judge someone else's beliefs does not make me a mormon. I think their beliefs are just as silly as yours are, and find it hilarious that you would automatically assume someone questioning your assertions to be part of that particular brand of crazies.

June 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • Les

The copyright law of the land at that time REQUIRED that Smith list himself as "author and Proprietor", He was merely doing what was legally required to publish his translation. Soon after, translators were allowed to list themselves as "translators" which Smith immediately did in following editions. A liitle research goes a long way in ferreting out the truth.

June 18, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Peteyroo

Peter, still spewing hate I see. Does your homey Jesus of Nazareth approve of your hatred?

June 19, 2012 at 1:18 am |
  18. peter

captain moroni–If romney repents and rejects his false religion of mormonism and coverts to christendom i will vote for him. If not, i will sit out the gen election like many other republicans.

June 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • Les

I think that your choice is a wise one. Hopefully, the majority of Republican evilangelicans will follow your lead and the total collapse of the GOP will follow shortly thereafter.

June 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • biblesucks

Is it because of the underwear thing they have to wear? Because I'd hate to picture him standing there in on his little podium throne wearing those fullbody whites... I also think its comic genius that there is a country people, who actually consider themselves to be progressive thinkers, and world leaders, who alos vote ina guy who wears special long ons to church. . You are somewhat leaders in military power but in education , free thought, human rights, separation of church and state from fiction (i.e. organized religion), you guys are kinda sad. Not so sad that we cant laugh at you though. We do that all the time. And this blog, and the continue undereducation of americans only gives us more to laugh at.

June 19, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • Peteyroo

Peter, that is the best news I have heard in a long time. Foolish mainstream Christian Republicans will sit out the election rather than vote for Romney. Thank you.

June 19, 2012 at 12:57 am |
    • rpbakeriii2001@yahoo.com

Isn't "sitting out the election" (not voting) the same as a vote for the Dems?

June 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  19. Zulux

Does it say that Emilano Zapata was actually Jesus or was it Geronimo that had a buffalo all by himself for the last supper?

June 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  20. Peteyroo

A question for mainstream Christians:

Whom do you hate more? Mormons or atheists?

June 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • sftommy

Followers of the teachings of Christ do not hate bur rather lament the sufferings the see that are avoidable and rejoice that they've been spared. Feeling sorry for someone because of their choices is not hating them.

June 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • bibkesucks

I feel sorry for Mormons AND Christians. I feel sorry for all Americans who live in such an undereducated theocracy of drone citizens incapable of thinking rationally for themselves. But then I laugh. Because I dont live in your backwards descending un-developing country. I live elsewhere in the developed and forward moving world where the insanity we watch you partake in, following some hundreds year old folk tales and living your sad lives by, gives the rest of us who actually live in the developing world something to laugh about. America you make me laugh. As in, you're a joke (especially the mormons because of the underwear thing). Thank you!

June 19, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • Peteyroo

Soft Tommy, you are in the minority. Read these posts. You'll see unbridled hatred.

June 19, 2012 at 12:59 am |