home
RSS
'Recovering Catholics' reveal spiritual journeys
According to a 2008 poll, 31% of Americans were raised Catholic, but only 24% describe themselves as Catholic.
June 19th, 2012

'Recovering Catholics' reveal spiritual journeys

By Jim Spellman, CNN

Denver (CNN) - Kristen Kelly was raised Roman Catholic, attended Catholic elementary school and considered herself a good Catholic, but when she was 21-years-old that changed.

“A coworker asked me if I believe in Jesus Christ,” she says.

Despite spending her entire life in the Roman Catholic Church she couldn’t answer the question.

“I never really got exposed to Christ," she says. "It was more about Mary and the Church and a condemnation of everything I was doing wrong.”

She looked at her coworker and saw someone who appeared to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and decided that was what she wanted. She said this prayer:

“Jesus I accept that you are my lord and savior, and I ask you to come into my life.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

And from that moment Kelly, now 41 and living in Florida, considered herself born-again, and an ex-Catholic.

“I like to call us recovering Catholics,” she says with a laugh.

According to a 2008 study by the Pew Forum on Religious Life and Public Life, 31% of Americans were raised Catholic, but only 24% now describe themselves as Catholic. Read the study (PDF).

That means about 1 in 10 Americans is an ex-Catholic. If they were a denomination they would be bigger than Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans and Presbyterians.

The total U.S. Catholic population has remained at about 24%, as immigrants have filled the pews the ex-Catholics have left behind.

Video: Why do some Catholic outsiders remain inside the flock?

Kathleen Cummings , associate director at the Cushwa Center for the Study of American Catholicism at Notre Dame, says that some people leave the Catholic Church after a defining event like the priest abuse scandals or because of a disagreement with the Church over social issues, but most leave because they feel their needs are not being met.

“They are not experiencing something that fulfills them spiritually,” Cummings says.

Church supporters are urging wayward Catholics to return to the fold. For example, Catholics Come Home, a nonprofit lay organization formed in 1997, has been putting out the welcome mat via the media.

The group has an interactive website www.Catholicscomehome.org and airs what it calls “evangomercials” on radio and television. The group says that since 2008 more than 350,000 people have “come home” to the Catholic Church through their campaign.

Tom Peterson, president of Catholics Come Home, says some worshipers who've returned to the Catholic Church report leaving because they had disagreements with church officials or had divorced and feared they wouldn’t be welcome. But, he says, the majority never really gave up on the Church.

“They just drifted away and life got too busy," Peterson says. "Most say they didn’t dislike the Church, nor were they opposed to the Church teachings.

“An overwhelming majority of returnees tell our diocesan partners that they came home to the Catholic Church, 'because you invited me,'" he says.

But it may not be so simple to lure back ex-Catholics like Matt Rowe, a 35-year-old married father of two living in Denver. Rowe attended 16 years of Catholic School in Illinois and attended a Catholic university.

But by the end of college, Rowe was adrift. He found himself disagreeing with the Church on everything from the role of women to the concept of original sin and what he saw as the Catholic Church’s dependence on guilt as a motivating factor.

Rowe gave up on religion for most of his 20s but never stopped believing in God. When he got married and had kids, he started feeling a void in his life.

“I wanted my kids to grow up in a religion, but not Catholicism,” he says.

After “church-hopping” for a few years, Rowe ended up at Pathways Wash Park, a multidenominational Christian church in Denver.

After years of feeling disconnected in the Catholic Church where he says sermons rarely connected to his life, he has finally found the connection he has been looking for at Pathways.

“I wanted spirituality. I wanted God. I wanted all those points to go back to what I’m dealing with today,” Rowe says.

Fred Viarrial, 59, grew up as an altar boy at St. Leo’s in Denver. Six days a week he donned his cassock and worked the 6 a.m. Mass.

“Books or bells. You are ringing the bells or moving the books for the priests,” Viarrial says.

But as he grew up he began questioning elements of Catholicism. One day, when Viarrial was somewhere between age 10 and 12, he had something especially embarrassing to confess, so he trekked over to a Spanish language parish where he was unknown.

“The priest pulled me out and spanked me on the spot,” Viarrial says with a laugh. “That got me to question this whole thing of confession.”

When he was just 14 the precocious teenager went so far as to schedule an appointment with Denver ‘s then-Archbishop James Casey to discuss his doubts.

“I took a two-page list of questions starting with the Hail Mary. I wanted to find them in the Bible, their origin … where is that in the Bible?”

Viarrial says the archbishop humored him but ultimately did not answer his questions.

He still believed in God, but was losing faith in the Church.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

By his 20s he was searching for a new church and ended up at Arvada Covenant Church, an evangelical congregation in a Denver suburb.

At Arvada Covenant he says the focus is on a personal relationship with Jesus and that his questions about his faith and the Bible are not met with derision, but with a search for answers through Bible study.

He has found a home at Arvada Covenant, but says he holds no grudge against the Catholic Church and still feels echoes of his Catholic upbringing in his faith today.

“It’s like a spiritual tattoo that you receive as a kid," Viarrial says. "Those roots don’t ever disappear, you just better try to understand them.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Christianity • Colorado • Faith

soundoff (2,511 Responses)
  1. nc1965

For centuries Catholic priests allowed altar boys to be slammed up the -a s s -. If I were this guy, yes I would go.

June 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  2. slickteigkcmo

The more the church puts down women, the sisters, nuns, takes away our participation at church, goes back to pre Vatican ll, then it might be time to go ...... sadly after 54 years as a Catholic, it may be time to leave...... I always considered myself a Christian first, Catholic 2nd but it may be time to move on to more "woman embracing" Christian groups. Jesus had love of friends like Mary, Martha, Veronica, loved his mom so much, but the Catholic church seems to have great disdane for women lately???? Am I wrong???? What is going on with the "men in charge of this "religiion" and how they are treating women, please someone tell my why they seem to be doing so much to keep women away and feeling like low , little nobodies with the church, the church of Christ who loves all, including women...???!!!! I am so sad but might be time to leave the Catholic "religion" as it's turning to something foreign and sad lately....... not the happy, loving Catholic church I grew to love post Vat ll in the late 60s to now...... are we to regress, be backwards, I , in my heart don't feel this is what Jesus, my leader, my true leader wants women to feel,,,,,, He loves us too!

June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • WellReadGal

I agree; I am having the same concerns, right down to my core. I would bet an honest soul-searching by both Catholic men and women would reveal much the same. RCC, are you listening?

June 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  3. Gypsy

Why aren't my comments showing up, CNN?

June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

Gypsy, There is an automatic word filter on these blogs. In addition to the usual no-no words, look for these letter fragments in your post, fix, and try again.

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN automatic filter:
      Many, if not most, are buried within other words, so use your imagination.
      You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters or some html tricks to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
      ---
      ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
      co-on.....as in racc-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      cu-nt.....as in Scu-nthorpe, a city in the UK famous for having problems with filters...!
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, drift-wood, etc.
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, etc.
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      hu-mp… as in th-ump, th-umper, th-umping
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      o-rgy….as in po-rgy, zo-rgy, etc.
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      que-er
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sl-ut
      sn-atch
      sp-ank
      sp-ic.....as in desp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      sp-oon
      sp-ook… as in sp-ooky, sp-ooked
      strip-per
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, ent-ities, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!
      There's another phrase that someone found, "wo-nderful us" (have no idea what sets that one off).

There are more, some of them considered "racist", so do not assume that this list is complete.

June 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  4. hhp

I recently went to a christening for a family member, the priest got off on Tom Cruise, and scientaology. I have yet to figure out what that had to do with this child's special day. The church has lost its way–I stopped practing after eight horrible years with "Sistesr" that were to old to be around children. The family went to have this child christened only to preached to about only what interested the preist.

June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The Catholic church never had a way to Christ.

Amen.

June 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Madtown

HeavenSent
      The Catholic church never had a way to Christ.
      ----–
      Yes, of course, because they didn't follow your way. Your way is the only way, despite the fact that many human beings that inhabit this world will never even hear of your way, through no fault of their own. Yet, you think that because they don't follow your way, they don't get the big prize that only special people like you will. LOL!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  5. ExCatholic194652034

I was raised Catholic until I went through 1st Communion at which point my parents pulled me aside, told me they felt it was unfair for them to force a religion on me and only made me go to church through 1st Communion so they could sleep well at night knowing I could get into Heaven, and thus gave me the choice of whether or not I could continue going to church. Naturally, I hated everything about going to church so I decided never to return and never have outside of weddings, funerals, and overbearing grandparent visits.

There was nothing about going to church that I found enjoyable, and after growing up with a free mind to think for myself there is no way I will ever go back. I cannot understand how anyone capable of anyltical thought or just simple common sense would ever support any religion.

There are no angels, no demons, no heaven and no hell. There is only yourself, you are responsible for your actions.

June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  6. Colin

Dear Catholics:

God here.

First, I do not exist. The concept of a 13,700,00,000 year old being, capable of creating the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, monitoring simultaneously the thoughts and actions of the 7 billion human beings on this planet is ludicrous.

Second, if I did, I would have left you a book a little more consistent, timeless and independently verifiable than the collection of Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology you call the Bible. Hell, I bet you cannot tell me one thing about any of its authors or how and why it was edited over the Centuries, yet you cite them for the most extraordinary of claims.

Thirdly, when I sent my “son” (whatever that means, given that I am god and do not mate) to Earth, he would have visited the Chinese, Ja.panese, Europeans, Russians, sub-Saharan Africans, Australian Aboriginals, Mongolians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Indonesians and native Americans, not just a few Jews. He would also have exhibited a knowledge of something outside of the Iron Age Middle East.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, refusing to give any tangible evidence of my existence, and then punish those who are smart enough to draw the natural conclusion that I do not exist by burning them forever. That would make no sense to me, given that I am the one who elected to withhold all evidence of my existence in the first place.

Fifthly, in the same vein, I would not make about 5% of the human population gay, then punish them for being that way. In fact, I wouldn’t care about how humans have $ex at all, given that I created all of the millions of millions of species on the planet, all of whom are furiously reproducing all the time. Human $ex would be of no interest to me, given that I can create Universes. Has it ever occurred to you that your obsession with making rules around human $ex is an entirely human affair?

Sixth, I would have smited all traditional Catholics, (and evangelicals and fundamentalists) long before this. You people drive me nuts. You are so small minded and yet you speak with such false authority. Many of you still believe in the talking snake nonsense from Genesis. I would kill all of you for that alone and burn you for an afternoon (burning forever is way too barbaric even for me to contemplate).

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths to “be with me” is utter, mind-numbing nonsense. Grow up. You will die. Get over it. I did. Hell, at least you had a life. I never even existed in the first place.

Eighth, I do not read your minds, or “hear your prayers” as you euphemistically call it. There are 7 billion of you. Even if only 10% prayed once a day, that is 700,000,000 prayers. This works out at 8,000 prayers a second – every second of every day. Meanwhile I have to process the 100,000 of you who die every day between heaven and hell. Dwell on the sheer absurdity of that for a moment.

Ninthly, had I existed, do you really think my representation on Earth would have such a history of corruption, retardation of science, financial misdeeds, political intrigue, outright criminal behavior and $exual misconduct, including pedophilia, as the Vatican does. I mean, come on! As a CEO, I would be fired for allowing my organization to run amok century after century.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born. Had you been born in India, you would likely believe in the Hindu gods, if born in Tibet, you would be a Buddhist. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Look, let’s be honest with ourselves. There is no god. Believing in me was fine when you thought the World was young, flat and simple. Now we know how enormous, old and complex the Universe is.

Move on – get over me. I did.

God

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • citizenUSA

Dear god,

you could have said something sooner...

June 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • funhouse

God bless.

June 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
  7. Travis

Go.

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  8. William Demuth

Some how the author is surprised that little boys who get buggered grow up to be men?

Christianity is a cult of child molesters.

The practice should be banned, and its followers burnt at the stake for enabling the deviants

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Thinker

Hmm... I choose not to burn over a billion good people just because a few are molesters. That would seem a bit excessive.

June 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  9. MaryM

Most educated young people do not buy into the garbage that the church is selling. Evolve or die catholic church. Some of the nuns in America have evolved, time for the church to evolve also.

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Jeff from Columbus

Again, the Catholic Church isn't losing members overall. Actually, other religions – mainly the Protestant religions – are losing members while the Catholic Church's overall population has remained steady.

June 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • MaryM

The catholic church is losing its members is droves, Do some research Jeff. . Especially the young people. They are more educated because of the internet, (not the schools) and they have a world of informatiion at their fingertips.

June 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  10. Andy

Wow, another CNN article, poorly written, that bashes Catholics. Hooray!!

I'm happy to be Catholic, the One True Church founded by Jesus, who is God. No one forced me, either.

June 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

That is nice Andy but you are not a true Christian. Your church is vile.

Amen.

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Alverant

How is telling the truth "bashing"?

June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Travis

LOL, "The One True Church". Like every other church.

June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Jesus Christ

Andy, another victim of being brainwashed by his parents.

June 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Doug

The problem with "Bible-only" Christianity is that there's no case for it in the Bible, and even if there were, why should the public believe in the Bible above any other holy book? There has to be more. The fact that some of the Catholic Church's leadership has acted disgracefully is a shame, and I'm truly sorry for it. Doesn't change the fact that ANY religion based upon a holy book alone is a hoax and a farce. In the Catholic Church, God places authority to guide his people–usually done well, sometimes done poorly. But it (and the Orthodox, to a point) are the only Christian churches with an unbroken line to Jesus, himself.

June 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • sam

Jesus didn't actually found a church.

June 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • BobZemko

Happy to be part of an organization that harbors and covers up pedophiles? You need professional help.

June 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • funhouse

really Sam? How do you know that. Did God tell you? Popes can be tracked back to Peter which was claimed to be the rock of Christ, who claimed to be the Groom of the church. Where did you get your information? Maybe you should pick up the book you are knocking. Or maybe just bash what you don't know about. Your choice

June 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • sam

Nice try, funhouse. Do some research.

June 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Thinker

Funhouse: The first Pope was simply the highest church official (Father. in latin Pope means Father) of Rome. There were several other Fathers in the other major cities of the world. The Father of Constantinople was the original head of the Orthodox Church, though the position was moved to Moscow. So by your argument there are now two (maybe three; I can't remember if the Coptic Fahter is the apostolic successor of an original) 'One True Churchs'. And that makes sence.

June 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  11. upstateny

I was born and raised catholic. Went to catholic grammer and high schools...yet I never felt like other people that say they have a such a closeness with God. I know the Lord's Prayer, Hail mary, Apostles creed, the ten commandments ,stations of the cross. made my first penance. first communion and confirmation yet I feel I just went through the motions. I want to feel the closeness with God, I want to have the strong faith that I see other people have. Honestly, I'm afraid to change religions...I don't really know where I belong. So just has the Catholic Church wonders where it stands ... so do I.

June 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • sqeptiq

My experience with Catholics has been that many of them don't really believe what the church teaches but they belong to the church in a pro forma way. It's just what they have always been and done.

June 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  12. Willbur Talks to Horses.

The Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and other fairy tales we grow out of.

June 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Jeff from Columbus

Feel better? Do you always feel the need to insult other people to make yourself feel good? Or are you just feeling extra nasty today?

Just curious.

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Primewonk

Jeff, the point is – that we have just as much evidence for your version of a god as we do for Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Thor, Ra, Zeus, Amma, Bumba, etc.

If you want to claim that is insulting, then pull up your big boy panties and refute it.

June 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • sam

Jeff, are you feeling super defensive today? Just curious.

June 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • Jeff from Columbus

Sam – not being super defensive. Just calling out the poster for acting like a jerk. Calling a spade, a spade.

As to the other poster, I have to prove God exists? Wow, talking about a complete and utter lack of understanding of religion. Its called "Faith" for a reason, you know 🙂

June 19, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
  13. Jeff from Columbus

Hey, another story on CNN bashing the Catholic Church! Whoda thunk it?

Ok, a serious reply to this article. Do people leave the Catholic Church? Absolutely. Is it still the biggest religion, by far, in the United States? Absolutely.

When you're as big as the Catholic Church, you'll obviously lose your share of members. But, as this story indicated, the number of new Catholics is equal to the number of Catholics who've left the church. Obviously, just as many see the Catholic Church in a good light as those who feel the need to leave the church.

June 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • asdf

It's only the biggest because it's centralized. If we counted all Protestant faiths together, you would be a significant minority.

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • sqeptiq

There are far more Muslims in the world. Does that mean Islam is better?

June 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Jeff, where is the bashing? Could you be specific?

June 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • sam

'Something I don't agree with' = bashing I guess.

June 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • MaryM

Jeff, Do some research, It will do wonders for your intelligence

June 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  14. billmeno

CNN ..... RELIGIOUS BIGOTRY AT ITS FINEST. Oh, but it is politically correct to bash Catholics.

June 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Sorry but Catholics are not true Christians. They are equal to Mormons.

Amen.

June 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Zeke2112

Calm down and you can go back to bashing atheists and denying rights to everyone you don't agree with,

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • sqeptiq

What bashing?????

June 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  15. mary

and yet our nuns do great social work throughout the world, as do our missionary priests and anyone who comes to the door of my church and needs help is never turned away and because of the horrors of the pedophiles and the Bishops inability to deal with this issue we Catholics have to endure all this hatred. To you who left and can't find Jesus in our church, it is in the eucharist, it is in the eucharistic minister who visits the homebound, it is the volunteers at the food bank, it is the volunteers who cook and work at festivals and who volunteer to help the poor by establishing clothing stores and the list goes on. That is where you find Jesus and if you have accomplished that then I praise you, but please don't say that you don't get Jesus in the Catholic church. If you didn't then you weren't listening and you weren't looking.

June 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Frank

Good reply!!!

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • asdf

You can do all of those things without wasting an hour out of your sunday. Heck, you could even get an extra hour for volunteer work!

June 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Matt STL

The main point of missioning is not to help people; it is to spread the faith. This is how the Catholic church has grown so much over its time. The people actually going to the different regions may have all the best intentions, but spreading the word has destroyed cultures around the world by taking advantage of people at desperate times. If there was no other intention but to help and provide necessities, then I would be okay with it.

June 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • sam

The more work the nuns try to do, the more the church gets after them, lately. Notice?

June 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  16. Kaper

I was raised a devout Catholic, taught CCD classes, participated in Parish Council at the ripe age of 18. I set out the vestments for the visiting priest, took care of the alter linens and cleaned the vestibule.

The Church turned its back on me when my husband left me. Unless I could gather enough $$ for an annulment, I was no longer welcome to take communion. I realized then, that many who claim to be good Catholics, actually practice only the rules they feel are acceptable. Few consider birth control a sin. Fewer keep holy every Sabbath or holy day.

I feel I was treated unfairly by the Church, yet I am comfortable with my relationship with God

June 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  17. Thankful

I AM A VERY PROUD CATHOLIC!!!! I WAS BORN AND RAISED BAPTIST AND NEVER REALLY GOT CLOSE TO GOD UNTIL I JOINED THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. SHAME ON ALL OF YOU FOR BEING SO CRITICAL. ANY CHURCH IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SAVED MY LIFE AND MY FAMILY 🙂

June 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You are not a real Christian. You support a church that protects and supports child ra p ists. Your Pope is evil beyond evil. Sorry but I tell it how it is.

Amen.

June 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Maara

Hitler was a Catholic and killing "Christ-killers" was how the Holocaust worked so well.
      Still proud of being a Catholic? Even with the Pope being a Nazi who protects ped0priests and terrorizes children?
      Still proud? You should be shot.

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • BobZemko

Best to you and your family, Mr. Sandusky.

June 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Pat

The Pope was forced by law to enroll in Nazi youth. He risked his life by not showing up to meetings. If you're going to put slanderous information out there at least make sure it's true.

June 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  18. Leucadia Bob

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLsJqY9IoU&w=640&h=360]

June 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  19. ohmygod50

Priests are pervs. Plain and simple. What better way to get access to little kiddies?

June 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Keith

Priests are not perverts. SOME priests are perverts and the Catholic church is definitely guilty of covering up their crimes, moving them around from parish to parish so the could continue to have access to children. The bishops who did this should go to prison along with the priests the covered up for.

June 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • funhouse

No. Pervs are pervs! That is like saying coaches are pervs. Coaches, teachers, ministers, and priests all have access to children, but not all are pervs. I do think all of these have a road to children if not watched. It's the pervs that wind their way into these situations that cause the problem. The church could have avoided this issue if they had just fired and ratted out the bad ones. We all must watch out for our children. FYI I thought children in our church. I had to have a background check and had to be finger printed. I was glad to do so. We also could not do any one on one teaching which I thought was a good ides. For those that did not find Christ in a Catholic church, you can never find Christ until it is the right time for Christ to find you.

June 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Having taken a vow of celibacy, Priests are at least se.xual deviants.

June 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  20. Sal

I don't see any belief in the Eucharist which is what Catholicism is all about. All I hear is me, me, me.......No wonder you left.

June 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • ohmygod50

Body and Blood?? ha ha ha what a bunch of rubbish

June 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Zeke2112

2000 years ago, Jesus said, "Eat me!" And he's been laughing ever since.

June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |