home
RSS
Bias against Mormon presidential candidate unchanged since 1967, poll finds
Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, is trying to become the first Mormon president.
June 21st, 2012

Bias against Mormon presidential candidate unchanged since 1967, poll finds

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Bias against a Mormon presidential candidate hasn’t budged in 45 years, with 18% of Americans saying they would not vote for a well-qualified candidate who happened to be Mormon, according to a Gallup Poll released Thursday.

The survey points up potential challenges for presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who is vying to be the first Mormon in the White House.

Gallup first asked Americans about support for a Mormon presidential candidate in 1967 when Romney’s father, George Romney, was running for president. That year, 17% of Americans said they would not vote for a well-qualified Mormon for president.

George Romney dropped out of the race after making a gaffe about the Vietnam War, and Richard Nixon won the GOP nomination in 1968.

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

“The stability of resistance to a Mormon presidential candidate over the past 45 years is an anomaly,” Gallup editor-in-chief Frank Newport wrote in a survey report, noting that “resistance to a candidate who is black, a woman, or Jewish has declined substantially over the same period of time.”

The survey also found that four in 10 Americans do not know that Romney is Mormon. Gallup found that those who know Romney is a Mormon are also the most likely to back the idea of a Mormon for president.

But the national learning curve on Romney's religion "suggests the possibility that as Romney's faith becomes better known this summer and fall, it could become more of a negative factor," Newport wrote in his report.

CNN Explains: What’s Mormonism?

"Those who resist the idea of a Mormon president will in theory become more likely to realize that Romney is a Mormon as the campaign unfolds," Newport wrote.

Bias against a Mormon candidate is significantly higher among Democrats and independents than among Republicans, Gallup found.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Twenty-four percent of Democrats and 18% of independents said they would not vote for a well-qualified Mormon who was nominated by their party, while 10% of Republicans expressed such opposition.

Resistance to a Mormon candidate was much higher among Americans with lower levels of education, with 23% of those without a high school diploma saying they would not support a well-qualified Mormon. Six percent of those with postgraduate education shared that view.

In his report, Newport said that it’s “unclear how the current level of resistance to the idea of voting for a Mormon presidential candidate will affect the election.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“History shows that these types of attitudes in and of themselves are not an impediment to victory,” Newport wrote, citing a 1960 poll that found 21% of Americans would not vote for a well-qualified Catholic candidate for the presidency.

Later that same year, John F. Kennedy won the White House.

The Romney campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In an interview earlier this year, Southern Baptist leader Richard Land predicted that Romney’s Mormonism would become a bigger political challenge for the candidate - not because of anti-Mormon bias among evangelicals but because of that bias among independents.

Most evangelicals already “know what Mormonism believes and most of them are prepared to vote for Mitt Romney in a general election against Barack Obama in spite of his Mormonism,” said Land, public policy chief for the country’s largest evangelical denomination.

“The 40% of electorate that’s independent, most of them have no idea what Mormons believe,” Land said. “But they will all know what Mormons believe by the general election.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,017 Responses)
  1. Captain Moroni

I truly believe in God and that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour. Mormons are the finest people on the earth.

June 22, 2012 at 2:01 am |
    • Brigham Young

No you believe in "gods"...and your "Heavenly Father" was once a man. Oh yeah, learn how to spell savior.

June 22, 2012 at 2:03 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Many fine people are completely gullible...

June 22, 2012 at 2:03 am |
    • HotAirAce

I wrote the above lie (I don't believe in any god and the jesus myth, but I'm sure many Mormons are fine people) only to prove that nice words from Captian Moroni will get past the CNN word fragment filter. It's also possible, with a little atheist black magic to get banned words through – as in fuck all religion!

June 22, 2012 at 2:04 am |
    • HotAirAce

Any "saviour" is the correct or at least accepted spelling in many parts of the world.

June 22, 2012 at 2:06 am |
    • Brigham Young

HotAirMoroni...you are a crazy Mormon. Stop apologizing for your Satanic rituals.

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • HotAirAce

Sorry – my craziness is due to poor typing. But please, I really am not Captain Moroni – I stole "his" user name just once to prove a point.

June 22, 2012 at 2:13 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

C'mon HotAir, of course the satan worshippers at CNN can tell the nice Cpt. Moroni from the Evil Capt. Maroni.

June 22, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • GOD"S ANGEL

June 22, 2012 at 5:21 am |
    • GOD"S ANGEL

I have no problems with Mormans! I think they make wonderful Wal-Mart greeters! A Pres. Mittens? LMFAOAROFLA! He can go back to "Vulture Capitalism" after Pres. Obama respectfully kicks his butt! I know sore losers won't publish this but I guess the truth hurts!

June 22, 2012 at 5:23 am |
    • Mormons are fine people

They just are not Christians

June 22, 2012 at 5:26 am |
  2. Bringthem Young

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so." Brigham Young

After settling in Utah in 1848, Brigham Young announced a priesthood ban which prohibited all men of black African descent from holding the priesthood.

June 22, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • Brigham Young

Hey, God changes his mind all the time...that's why there are prophets. Well, and then there's the Internet.

June 22, 2012 at 2:01 am |
    • not soooooo

Shall I tell you that the KKK was started by the Democrats. 150 years ago! Guess what the Mormons don't believe that today either just like the Democrats have distanced themselves from the KKK.

June 22, 2012 at 2:01 am |
    • Brigham Young

not sooooo...if that's the best you can do to defend Mormonism, you are in deep s**t. That is a ridiculous and inaccurate comeback. How do you explain God's change of mind on black priesthood and polygamy? Grow a brain.

June 22, 2012 at 2:05 am |
    • not soooooo

Just shows how little you know.... Why don't you check it out for yourself!! And no I have a lot more in me. I have posted many, many times. You just proved how little you know!!

June 22, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • What a maroon

That thar is sum gud brane stuff yah dun, not soooooo. Reel fiiine thunking.

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 am |
    • Brigham Young

Typical non-response that Mormons give when challenged with facts...you are a mindless follower of Joseph Smith and his deception. Scary.

June 22, 2012 at 2:15 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Not solo,

There is a huge difference between a political party changing its politics and the supposed creator of the universe changing its mind to be politically correct.

June 22, 2012 at 2:17 am |
  3. Joseph Smith was a liar and a perv

Joseph Smith made his living robbing the gullible. For fun, he like to molest young girls.

June 22, 2012 at 1:53 am |
  4. Brigham Young

The Book of Mormon has no factual basis...the Smithsonian has made a statement that there is no evidence of Lamanites or Nephites living in North America. Complete fabrication. Sorry Mormons.

June 22, 2012 at 1:52 am |
    • mandarax

And thus it is equally as credible as other religions.

June 22, 2012 at 2:01 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Mandarax,

In some ways it is somewhat more credible, we actually know the names of the scam artists that wrote the Mormon books.

June 22, 2012 at 2:27 am |
  5. Brigham Young

Mormonism was founded on bigotry, polygamy and polytheism, and Mormons wonder why people think LDS are weird?

June 22, 2012 at 1:48 am |
    • Fred

Exactly. Mormonism is a huge cult.

June 22, 2012 at 1:49 am |
  6. not soooooo

This was so well put David I wanted to post it again.
    Jack, this might be a first for a Kerryman to offer good advice to a Dub. Thanks for your genuine and thoughtful comment. All I can say to you is that I'm happy. I can't think of anything less "cultish" then my life. I am as free as any man you know. It's funny that it was in Tralee that I first started to really think about these things seriously. I met an older man and we talked about the purpose to life. He told me that he would die soon, go into the ground and worms would then take over. Nothing more, nothing less. I asked him if he was happy with that and ha said "no, who is happy with just ending." I agreed and I started to ask questions. There is no cult that I know that gives you access in and out of the door of the church as you will. There is guidance as to how to live...but it's my choice if I live it. I was baptized as a baby inthe catholic church because I had to be or I would have the sin of Adam on me forever. I was baptized as a Mormon years later because I wanted to be. I'm 35 years old, happy, comfortable, in love with my wife, cherish my kids and do what I can to help those around me. If that is a cult then I'm screwed because I have a lot of people looking for what I have. Jack, you sound happy, content and wise. Thanks for your concern, honestly. But don't feel bad for any of us Mormons. We know what we are doing and choose to live life as you would. With no regrets and eyes looking forward.

June 22, 2012 at 1:44 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

A happy, comfortable fairy tale is still a fairy tale...

June 22, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • Mass Debater

" I asked him if he was happy with that and ha said "no, who is happy with just ending."

To base your happiness on an alternate reality where you get to live on forever & ever aside from any evidence of such existence seems irrational at best and sheer lunacy at worst.

June 22, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • not soooooo

Yeah your right.... that David is just pathetic huh!

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 am |
  7. Captain Moroni

Joseph Smith and his family were persecuted for saying that he saw God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ and testified of the Gold plates that he Book of Mormon is based on. He ultimately was killed for saying the things he saw and never once did he deny any of it. Do you think if he was lying and people hunting down their family and killing other members of church that he would confess his lie before other get hurt or killed? He never did and paid the ultimate sacrifice.

June 22, 2012 at 1:44 am |
    • Brigham Young

Hmmm...and his wife left the "church" to hang with the Reformed LDS church because it wsa the "true" church...so even if you believe any of this BS, the mainstream LDS church is not the original and is apostate.

June 22, 2012 at 1:55 am |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

Yes he was a lying sack of sh!t. He was completely invested in his lie, the fact that he died without admitting it means nothing. The best liars make sure their lies cannot be proven....and as the old saying goes, "it's not a lie if you believe it."

June 22, 2012 at 1:56 am |
    • Joseph Smith jr.

Joseph Smith was killed because of a power struggle he started by ex-communicating people he disagreed with, who retaliated by revealing his failings in a newspaper. Smith ordered his militia to destroy the press, which triggered significant regional anger, which caused Smith to call out his militia and declare martial law. However, the state militia was more powerful, and after fleeing then surrendering, an angry mob lynched him.

Not the pretty sanitized lie you told, but the seedy reality of a seedy man. He's not a martyr; he's a moron who made it happen through the ill-considered use of a personal militia to destroy freedom of the press and the general liberty of the region.

June 22, 2012 at 2:07 am |
  8. Gist

Let me share a few reasons why Mitt Romney should be President of the United States.
    Most people who read CNN are not biased and are more interested in a persons ability to lead than a persons religion, but regardless, if that is how you define a person, so be it....
    1. He is a successful business owner.
    2. Unless you lived in Utah over 10 years ago, most won't remember the debacle we had with the 2002 winter olympics. He turned it around from a money loosing venture to still generating revenue today-10 years later. He turned around the perception of bribery and low morale to the place to see and be seen. It still is the standard for Olympics today.
    3. In the most Democratice state (Mass), he was voted as a Republican Gov and got things done. He is the true meaning of bi-partisianship. He is not afraid to cross the aisle, shakehands, agree to dissagree and work things out with compromise.
    He is pro gun, pro family, pro state rights, pro personal responsibility, pro small and large business and pro getting things done. I can't think of a better friend for Unions, business, military, banks, unemployed, and people who work hard trying to raise good children in tough times, than they would have a friend in Mitt Romney.

June 22, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • Jeb

If Mittens gets to run the country the way he ran Bain Capital, he'll swoop in while we're struggling, sell off all our assets, ship all our jobs overseas, and hide his profits in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes.

Also he ranked 47th in job creation as the 1 term governor of Massachusetts.

June 22, 2012 at 1:45 am |
    • not soooooo

I guess we will never know what Obama achieved as he was only a Junior Senator and a community organizer.

June 22, 2012 at 1:47 am |
  9. Captain Moroni

CNN allows all of the hateful comments to post but blocks anything of "good" – go figure.

June 22, 2012 at 1:37 am |
    • not soooooo

Yes they do! I witness that all the time.

June 22, 2012 at 1:39 am |
    • HotAirAce

Get over your persecution complex – you are not special enough for anyone to waste time censoring. CNN uses a simple "word fragment filter" that you are too stupid to understand and get around. The magic list has been posted numerous times, possibly in this thread, but certainly in 1 or 2 of the most recent ones. Go do some homework. Looking forward to reading your good words...

June 22, 2012 at 1:42 am |
    • Drop that last letter from your name

No. There is no censor here beyond a lame program that won't let naughty words post. You probably said "consti.tuion without realizing that you said the horribly offensive work "ti-t", or circu mstance which has cu-m in it. Just find the naughty word and do what I do.

Nobody is censoring you on content. It takes very little time he to realize that some very offensive stuff from all points of view gets on here and stays.

But we do appreciate the conspiracy theory. CNN is out to get you. Your opinions and this blog are just so important that they have hidden cameras everywhere watching you. Really

June 22, 2012 at 1:45 am |
    • not soooooo

Sorry that is not it. You wouldn't know because you never defend anything that has to do with being a Republican. Yes they do censor. Why is it that CNN has at least every other day written something like this piece of garbage. Where is the Reverend Wright piece or Acorn. All this Mormon stuff was said 4 years ago. You wouldn't know about being censored by CNN because they are writing this crap in honor of people like you!

June 22, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • Mass Debater

Yes, there is a republican filter here on these boards. It's called a minimum IQ and a basic understanding of how a message board filter works.

June 22, 2012 at 2:50 am |
  10. Brian

"CNN Explains: What’s Mormonism?"

CNN needs to study the history of "Mormonism" – if they can without throwing up.

June 22, 2012 at 1:35 am |
  11. CNNidegaz

... and if it isn't, perhaps c&n can push it along a bit ...

June 22, 2012 at 1:31 am |
  12. jesus saves

Mormons are insane and I am sad that we have no decent candidate to vote for...

June 22, 2012 at 1:26 am |
    • lily

Thank you, I value you compliment... a "peculiar people" Peter calls us! (Go look it up)

June 22, 2012 at 1:31 am |
    • Joseph Smith

lily

The word he used was "insane" and it's true.

June 22, 2012 at 1:32 am |
  13. Bob

All religions are equally ridiculous. I just want someone to save this country from the chaos that has resulted from Obama's presidency.

June 22, 2012 at 1:23 am |
    • Joseph Smith

What chaos are you talking about specifically and how is it Obama's fault.

June 22, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • Obo

You mean the economic disaster that started under W. Bush? That Obama disaster that was a Bush disaster? Or is it some other Bush disaster that is the Obama disaster you are referring to. Do tell which disaster so that we can check the dates and see just who was driving the bus when it crashed.

June 22, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • HZ

if you guys still want to blame bush, in case you forgot and never knew, sub-prime mortgage started under clinton and obama generated more national debt in less than half time of bush.....

June 22, 2012 at 2:12 am |
  14. Joseph Smith jr.

Let's see, as a young man, I practiced religious folk magic, and all my family believed that they communicated directly with God through dreams and visions. I did a lot of treasure-digging, in which I used rocks (seer stones) put in my white stovetop hat to guide me to treasure that I never found.

I did find some golden Egyptian plates in Upstate New York, even though nobody actually saw these plates, on which was the badly-written story (in the non-existent language of "reformed Egyptian") of archeological impossibilities and other obviously phony tales that sure would seem to be the work of a treasure-digging con-man if you did not know better.

I had power struggles with other early Mormons, declaring myself the only true prophet, and did a couple bank pyramid scams, had an affair with the servant girl, pissed off the locals and encouraged violence, made myself a general while avoiding trial for treason in another state, invented polygamy and baptism for the dead, was implicated in the assassination attempt on a governor, made myself a candidate for president, tried to create a "theodemocracy" beyong government control, in which I was "prophet, priest and king", mobilized a Mormon militia nad declared martial law, but, outnumbered, surrendered and got lynched for being a dumbfuck.

Yeah. That's how God arranged my life, the life of a true prophet.

And millions actually believe what I said was true.

June 22, 2012 at 1:23 am |
    • not soooooo

The also believe a man was swallowed by a whale lived his belly for days and was thrown out on the land. How about a man and his family built a large ship called an ark and carried 2 of every living creature on the earth as the whole world was flooded.. Here is another one a man holding a stick to a sea parted it so people could pass through it. And... your point is...

June 22, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • Captain Moroni

Good grief – where did you get your information?

June 22, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • Jeb

All true.

June 22, 2012 at 1:34 am |
    • Joseph Smith jr.

We can do Christian absurdism too if you want. The topic is Mormonism, but I am happy to cover the incomprehensibly impossible and ridiculous beliefs of whatever religion you like.

June 22, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • Joseph Smith jr.

Captain Moroni, you do know that the leadership of the Mormon church has radically revised their own history, sanitizing it heavily and not allowing the truth to be discussed by the members. For example, Joseph Smith's diaries have been keep totally secret – I wonder why?

If you are Mormon and have not heard any of what I wrote before, well, that says it all.

June 22, 2012 at 1:54 am |
    • Mormon Jesus

Did anyone mention that Dad and I are aliens? Well, actually you are too. We just temporarily put you here on earth because we needed to relocate your planet. As I said, it's only temporary. Someday Dad will come pick it back up along with the Buick, thentake Earth back to planet Kolob for the family reunion. Till then, we encourage all you good mormon men to have celestial marriages with as many ladies as you can, that way Dad be pleased will turn you into a god after you pass on from this life. He may even give you your own planet to rule over. .For those of you who are not Mormon, you need to convert! I'll send someone to come knock on your door and give you a pamphlet. Till they get to your home, you can read up about Your actual home world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob And for your kids, you can watch this helpful cartoon together. http://youtu.be/7q6brMrFw0E
      See you all on planet Kolob!

June 22, 2012 at 2:09 am |
  15. Al

So normally my day only leaves me enough time to peruse the headlines of the days events, if that. I never read the comments. But tonight as I was waiting for an appointment, I stopped for the first time to read these comments. Wow, what entertainment!!! I'm trying to decide if you people are the type that comment on anything and everything because you don't have lives to live, or if it's simply to satisfy your need for a podium to stand at to criticize or defend. Whichever it is, you are certainly entertaining. Gave me a laugh. Now I have to get back to my life . . . .

June 22, 2012 at 1:21 am |
    • Al

Mirror mirror on the wall
      Who's the biggest hypocrite of all?

June 22, 2012 at 1:25 am |
  16. brian

Utah has had one of the lowest unemployment rates for a very long time. It's the economy, not BS religion stuff. He's more qualified.

June 22, 2012 at 1:09 am |
    • kerfluffle

Mittens claims Michigan as his birth state, was a single-term governor of Massachusetts and has million-dollar mansions in New Hampshire and California.

So...Utah benefits how...?

June 22, 2012 at 1:12 am |
    • HotAirAce

Romney claims to be a job creator – I understand he was 47th best while governor – but how many jobs did he ship offshore?

June 22, 2012 at 1:17 am |
    • lily

Ummm... its because Mormons get off their butts and actually work and get an education!!!!

June 22, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • kerfluffle

What's Idaho's excuse?

June 22, 2012 at 1:36 am |
    • Ted

So where was kerfluffle born? Under an outhouse maybe?

June 22, 2012 at 1:54 am |
  17. Kochab Express

You want to vote for a man who believes that he will be a GOD himself on the Planet Kochab ??? Hope he is wearing his magic underwear. SATAN was an Angel people..........he can appear as nice as pie !!!! do you think his agenda would prevail if he was mean and himself ???? Mittens is a cult member to the highest order and I just read that 4 out of 10 dont even know he IS a mormon ??? You better go look up Kochab and learn a bit about this cult !! I certainly dont want him to have the football in his possession. I am voting for Ron Paul no matter what, and Ive been a Democrat all my life.

June 22, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • Big Al

So you refues to vote for a loon by voting for another loon? Boy, are you confused!

June 22, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • souptwins

No I don't but that means voting for Romney would be safe since LDS people don't believe that nonsense. It's just a myth promoted by trolls like yourself.

June 22, 2012 at 1:08 am |
    • not soooooo

Harry Reid must be all of that and more... how do the Democrats put up with that Mormon Senate Majority Leader. I hope it is not too late for the senate they are obviously under his cultish spell. Look out everyone!! He obviously has Nancy and Hilary under his spell unless..... they are some of his many wives oooo... It is not too hard to write the trash that is thrown out on this blog! Enjoy until next week when Harry Reid uses his cult force to have MSNBC remove parts of their video clips and mislead its viewers!

June 22, 2012 at 1:09 am |
  18. Jeb

Anyone know where planet Kolob is?

According to Mormons, that's where a flesh and blood man named God lives.

June 22, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • Ken

As usual, you are uninformed. Kolob is the planet "nearest" to where God dwells. Something like that.

The least you can do is know what you are talking about before you start running your filth filled mouth.

June 22, 2012 at 1:09 am |
    • not soooooo

Ken, Jeb has no idea what he believes. Ask him to explain what God is mad of and where does he live?

June 22, 2012 at 1:12 am |
    • kerfluffle

Silly Ken, of COURSE god has an unlisted address. Too many nutjobs are stalking him.

June 22, 2012 at 1:14 am |
    • Ted

Yeah, nutjobs like kerfluffle.

June 22, 2012 at 1:25 am |
    • kerfluffle

Oooh–you sure got me there Ted. Score one for the FLDS.

June 22, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • Ted

You're such a mindless little boy kerfluffle.

June 22, 2012 at 2:22 am |
  19. Ms

I'm not biased against Romney because he's a Mormon; I am biased against him because he is looking to enact reactionary policies towards LGBT people. And he wants to fix our economy by trying the exact same things Bush Jr. did.

June 22, 2012 at 12:59 am |
  20. Stainpouch

Not that many mainstream religions call for the overthrow of the U S government. (Read Joseph Smith for yourself.) Not that many mainstream religions tried to break with the Union. Not that many mainstream religions staged insurrections that had to be put down by the U S Army. None of this might matter if the Bishop were just an ordinary Mormon. He's not. He's descended from a Prophet and is Mormon royalty. He's benefited from this all his life as did his father. The Invisible Church is what ought to concern us–they represent the financial interests not only of the church itself but of the close family of extremely wealthy Mormons who watch our for one another, lend each other money and seek the political and economic domination of everything and everyone around them. Proof? Utah. So, you go right ahead and vote for the Bishop; and while he's riding his dancing horse, you can fry up some for you and the kids.

June 22, 2012 at 12:58 am |
    • souptwins

That is some serious pile BS you just spewed there.

June 22, 2012 at 1:10 am |
    • kerfluffle

Refute it 'soupy'.

June 22, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • Southern Gentleman

Obama is doing a damn fine job of overthrowing our governmant all be himself!

June 22, 2012 at 1:27 am |
    • lily

wow.... didn't know Mormons had royalty! Wish I could be apart of that!

You people are so un-educated on these bashing mormons comments.... I get to beef up on the myths about my religion and remind myself that I'm not that bad off!!! Really gives one a good laugh!! 🙂 thanks!

June 22, 2012 at 1:38 am |