home
RSS
June 21st, 2012

Harsh anti-gay preaching alarms gay rights supporters and Christian conservatives alike

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN) - The little boy with a buzz cut shows no sign of nervousness as he sings in front of the church congregation.

Dressed in a pressed white shirt and blue sweater vest, he holds the microphone and sings that the Bible is right, then lets loose the line that brings whoops from the congregation: "Ain't no homo gonna make it to heaven."

Next to him, an adult beams as worshippers rise to their feet and cheer.

The scene was captured on video and anonymously posted online, receiving hundreds of thousands of views on YouTube since the end of May. It appears to show a service at the Apostolic Truth Tabernacle in Greensburg, Indiana.

The church quickly posted on its website that its pastor and members "do not condone, teach, or practice hate of any person for any reason."

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

But the chubby boy with the buzz cut isn't the only one going viral with harshly worded anti-gay pronouncements in church.

In recent weeks, Pastor Charles Worley in North Carolina preached that lesbians and gay men should be fenced in and left to die out, while Pastor Curtis Knapp in Kansas said the government should kill homosexuals.

"They won't, but they should," Knapp said, according to a recording of his sermon posted online. Worley’s sermon was captured on video and also went viral.

The incidents drew outrage and condemnation from gay rights supporters.

But they also left many Christians uncomfortable - even those who call themselves conservative.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

One leading expert on American Protestantism has a simple explanation for why some pastors preach against homosexuality while others go further, encouraging violence against gay people.

"There is a significant percentage who think it's a sin," Ed Stetzer said of homosexuality. "And there are a small minority who are stupid."

Stetzer is president of LifeWay Research, which is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. Worley and Knapp both belong to Independent Baptist churches and are not part of the Southern Baptist Convention, which is the second largest Christian denomination in the United States.

Many conservative Christians would agree with pastors such as Worley and Knapp that homosexual behavior is fundamentally wrong, Stetzer said.

But that doesn't mean they support them or their sermons, he added.

"If you asked, they would say that's really unhelpful and stupid," he said.

But the Rev. Robin Lunn said these preachers are much worse than that. She calls such pastors "genocidal."

Opinion: Why some Christians focus on gays

"If someone is talking about rounding up me and all my kind in a pen, what is the difference between that and what is happening in Syria and Sudan and what happened in Germany and Poland during World War II?" asked Lunn, executive director of the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists.

"We are talking about people who believe somehow that the Second Coming is connected to a Final Solution," said Lunn, a lesbian, using the Nazi term for the mass murder of Jews in the Holocaust.

"I think these men expressed something that many Baptist preachers think," Lunn said. "We need to stand up and denounce this powerfully."

Her group campaigns for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender inclusion across all Baptist churches. It has its origins in the American Baptist Churches movement but is not connected to any one Baptist group or denomination, she said.

"It seems to me that this is an opportunity to show some solidarity around the belief that all people are children of God regardless of what you think about someone's 'lifestyle,' " she said.

Opinion: The Christian case for gay marriage

One of the most respected voices in conservative Christianity agrees with Lunn, up to a point.

"The Gospel does not condemn homosexuals, it condemns homosexuality," said R. Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. "The Bible makes clear that homosexuality is a sin, in the context of making clear that every person is a sinner."

What preachers such as Worley and Knapp are doing wrong, he said, is that they are "not merely rendering a moral judgment on homosexuality but extending it to the condemnation of people. They are speaking with a certain venom and hatred."

He called their sermons "reprehensible."

And, he said, "they are doing grave harm to the cause of conservative Christianity by speaking messages of hate that obscure the message of the church."

"What you're seeing here is a very dangerous fringe that does not represent conservative Christianity in America," he said.

About one-third of Protestant pastors talk to their congregations about homosexuality several times a year, while another third do so "rarely," data from LifeWay Research suggests.

The rest do so anywhere from never to several times a month, according to a 2008 telephone survey of 1,002 Protestant pastors across the country and a wide range of denominations.

Half of the pastors who preached about homosexuality several times a year identified themselves as "very conservative," while a quarter of those who did said they were liberal or very liberal.

LifeWay’s Stetzer argued that it was important to remember that many Americans - not just Christian pastors - think homosexuality is wrong.

A Gallup Poll last month found that 54% of Americans saw homosexuality as "morally acceptable," while 42% said it was "morally wrong."

"This is not a small minority," Stetzer said. "Are all of those people going to be tarred by the comments of a few pastors?"

The sermons of Worley, Knapp and those like them do not have a great influence, Stetzer said, calling them "isolated."

"I've never heard of or seen a violent confrontation" that resulted from Christian preaching, he said.

But Ross Murray, director of religion, faith and values at the gay rights group Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, or GLAAD, said it's not that simple.

"When pastors preach they want people to listen to their words and pay attention to them," he said. "It's an exhortation to believe and think and act in accordance with the Gospel."

And he said he's not worried only about people who might act on violent preaching they hear in church. He said he's also concerned about young churchgoers grappling with being gay or lesbian themselves.

"You get brought to church; you have told nobody about this and you hear your pastor preaching or this child singing. What this tells you is that the church is not a safe place, not a place where you are going to experience love and grace," he said.

Pastors such as Worley and Knapp "give Christianity a bad name," he said.

And more than that, they are dangerous, he said. There were a record number of murders of members of sexual minorities in the United States last year, he said, citing a study out this month by the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs.

He conceded that no link has been proven between preaching and attacks on homosexuals, but he argued that preaching matters.

"To say that people shouldn't take you seriously when you say something violent is disingenuous. Our words have consequences," Murray said. "Our words have real meaning."

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Christianity • Homosexuality

soundoff (1,795 Responses)
  1. Tully

Let us pause for a moment to consider these fine words from Leviticus 11:12:
    "Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you."
    HEATHEN CRAB EATERS OF THE WORLD, YOU ARE DOOMED. (This means YOU, Maryland, with your filthy crab cakes!!) HEATHEN WINKLE EATERS, SHAME!!! MONSTROUS CONCH CHOWERS, THE LORD SHALL SMITE THEE!!! WOE UNTO THE WRETCHED CLAM EATERS!!!!

Gimme an fn break....

June 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
  2. madjim

Oh I forgot Jesus was about hate and discrimination. And I forgot that the bible says that all preachers and popes and rest of religious leaders can be judge, jury and executioner.

Can one of these preachers remind me again what passage or verse that is??????

June 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  3. Cheeseburger

Why are non anti-gay preachers different? Nice job "fringe flipping."

June 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
  4. bannister

I KNEW there was going to be a holocaust reference as soon as I saw the author's name. You guys are so predicable.

June 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
  5. Tim

Christians quote Leviticus all the time when talking about gay marriage. Beyond that, they conveniently ignore all the other passages. There's one truth when it comes to the lie of religion, it is poison and a fairy tale. Used to exploit people's fears and hatreds while ultimately controlling them. It's a useful tool for the disreputable.

June 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Tim,

indeed Evangelical "Christians" love them their Leviticus (except for the bits about bacon and shellfish) and their Genesis.

I do not understand why some passages (particularly the inconsistent ones) need to be interpreted, yet others must be read as the literal utterance of God. Nor do I understand why people who profess to be followers of the teachings of Jesus would spend so much time and effort on the old testament.

Jesus himself is pretty clear on the relevance of Mosaic law in Mark 12:
      28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
      29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.e 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’f 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’g There is no commandment greater than these.”

June 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
  6. Jeb

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that following the teachings in the Holy Bible, the Word of God, now gets you labeled as being 'dangerous. What is next? Adultery as a protected behavior?

June 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • D Russell

Jeb – funny thing about that. Have you ever met a so called 'Christian' who actually "follows the teachings in the Holy Bible, the Word of God"? The way they usually act, you would think that they never even read the thing – let alone follow it.

June 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Jeb,

Adultery seems pretty much considered OK for Evangelical Protestants. Apparently D-I-V-O-R-C-E is A-O-K in God's house. How many backsides in pews every Sunday have broken that commandment?

Come to think about it, Jesus makes a big deal about it. More so than Evangelicals do.

June 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Jesus even goes this far Matthew 5:

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.
      28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
      29 If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
      30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
      31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce
      32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Personally, I'm quite attached to my parts, but surely this is what a "Christian" would believe.

June 21, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • DeTamble

the Word of God, now gets you labeled as being 'dangerous.
      --------------------------–

Sure, if the word of god is love, and you preach hate, you are dangerous.
      Did you expect something different ?
      Is there some part of that you dont get ?

June 21, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  7. Union Blue

Adam and Steve...wow. Is he the official spokesperson for the Taliban of Red-Neckistan? When does the invasion kick off?

June 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  8. D Russell

I have yet to meet a Christian who would make me want to become one.

June 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • James

I have yet to meet a gay person that would make me want to become one...What a narrow statement you made...

June 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • D Russell

I have met many nice gay people. I have yet to meet a Christian who follows the words and deeds of Jesus. You were saying.......

June 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • YeahRight

"I have yet to meet a gay person that would make me want to become one."

Sexual orientation isn't a choice. Duh!

June 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • ElmerGantry

Ah,

Gays do not try to make you gay, but Christians will go way "over the top" to convert non Christians.

June 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • DeTamble

James

I have yet to meet a gay person that would make me want to become one
      ---------------------------------

I very much doubt that you have ever met a gay person.

June 21, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  9. elvinmerij

Because they're all self-hating gays.

June 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
  10. DANILLE

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO TRY A DIFFERENT GOD. WHERE IS WONDER WOMAN WHEN WE NEED HER OR BETTER, MIGHTY THOR

June 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
  11. DTS

The problem is that the Press is cherry-picking what they broadcast/publish. There are millions of preachers out there every Sunday talking about a variety of topics. But that doesn't sell advertising. I went to Seminary and heard WAY more sermons (many of them quite bad) each week. I've gone 40+ years and almost never missed church on Sunday. I have NEVER heard the kind of firebrand hatred this guy is puttering about.

So yes – if that's what you're looking for, that's what you'll find. But I've attended countless Presbyterian, Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopal and Conservative Anglican services and never heard the sermons he's referencing.

June 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • DeTamble

*** The problem is that the Press is cherry-picking what they broadcast/publish...

Just like how Christians cherry pick the bible ?

June 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  12. Drew

I used to call myself an "Independent Christian", because I believe in God, but not necessarily in Organized Religion. However, hearing so much HATE coming from other "Christians" is making me seriously doubt my faith... Why would God allow so much Anger and Hate in His Name? Maybe I've been wrong all these years.

June 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • elvinmerij

I have a lot of issues with God myself. I think I know what you mean. I try to reason it out by saying that He has this major plan for all things, and that this kind of stuff that doesn't seem to resonate with how we view Him, is but a small part of that plan. I have a lot of personal issues with God, and get pretty angry a lot of the time with what He's done to me (with me?). And I mean angry. But I work hard at not being angry at God; I think it's ok to be angry with what He is doing, w/o being angry at God Himself. It's like they used to tell us about raising our kids - tell your kid you're angry with what he's done, not with who he is.

June 21, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • John

Don't doubt your beliefs, the people who espouse such things in the name of Christ are going against what is written in the Bible. Christ commands us as Christians not to judge others, lest we ourselves should be judged. That is nothing but hate and condemnation, which Christ specifically tells us is wrong. While it is painful to watch, do not let this push you away from Christ.

June 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
  13. Tr1Xen

1:28 in the video. That guy looks like he got beaten with the stupid stick one too many times. LOL

June 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  14. Ron

Jesus is just all right – but his followers are wack jobs!

June 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  15. Egbert

Sounds like these pastors are no different than Obama's mentor, the not so Reverend Wright.

June 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  16. Colin

A few questions should help shed light on the relationship between Christians and rational thought.

The completely absurd theory that all 7,000,000,000 human beings are simultaneously being supervised 24 hours a day, every day of their lives by an immortal, invisible being for the purposes of reward or punishment in the “afterlife” comes from the field of:

(a) Children’s fairytales;

(b) Medieval mythology;

(c) New age pseudo science; or

(d) Christianity

You are about 70% likely to believe the entire Universe began less than 10,000 years ago with only one man, one woman and a talking snake if you are a:

(a) historian;

(b) geologist;

(c) NASA astronomer; or

(d) Christian

I honestly believe that, when I think silent thoughts like, “please god, help me pass my exam tomorrow,” some invisible being is reading my mind and will intervene and alter what would otherwise be the course of history in small ways to help me. I am

(a) a delusional schizophrenic;

(b) a naïve child, too young to know that that is silly

(c) an ignorant farmer from Sudan who never had the benefit of even a fifth grade education; or

(d) your average Christian

I have convinced myself that gay $ex is a choice and not genetic, but then have no explanation as to why only gay people have ho.mo$exual urges. I am

(a) A gifted psychologist

(b) A well respected geneticist

(c) A highly educated sociologist

(d) A Christian with the remarkable ability to ignore inconvenient facts.

Millions and millions of Catholics believe that bread and wine turns into the actual flesh and blood of a dead Jew from 2,000 years ago because:

(a) there are obvious visible changes in the condiments after the Catholic priest does his hocus pocus;

(b) tests have confirmed a divine presence in the bread and wine;

(c) now and then their god shows up and confirms this story; or

(d) their religious convictions tell them to blindly accept this completely fvcking absurd nonsense.

I believe that an all powerful being, capable of creating the entire cosmos watches me have $ex to make sure I don't do anything "naughty". I am

(a) A victim of child molestation

(b) A r.ape victim trying to recover

(c) A mental patient with paranoid delusions

(d) A Christian

The only discipline known to often cause people to kill others they have never met and/or to commit suicide in its furtherance is:

(a) Architecture;

(b) Philosophy;

(c) Archeology; or

(d) Religion

What is it that most differentiates science and all other intellectual disciplines from religion:

(a) Religion tells people not only what they should believe, but what they are morally obliged to believe on pain of divine retribution, whereas science, economics, medicine etc. has no “sacred cows” in terms of doctrine and go where the evidence leads them;

(b) Religion can make a statement, such as “there is a composite god comprised of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit”, and be totally immune from experimentation and challenge, whereas science can only make factual assertions when supported by considerable evidence;

(c) Science and the scientific method is universal and consistent all over the World whereas religion is regional and a person’s religious conviction, no matter how deeply held, is clearly nothing more than an accident of birth; or

(d) All of the above.

If I am found wandering the streets flagellating myself, wading into a filth river, mutilating my child’s genitals or kneeling down in a church believing that a being is somehow reading my inner thoughts and prayers, I am likely driven by:

(a) a deep psychiatric issue;

(b) an irrational fear or phobia;

(c) a severe mental degeneration caused by years of drug abuse; or

(d) my religious belief.

Who am I? I don’t pay any taxes. I never have. Any money my organization earns is tax free and my own salary is also tax free, at the federal, state and local level. Despite contributing nothing to society, but still enjoying all its benefits, I feel I have the right to tell others what to do. I am

(a) A sleazy Wall Street banker

(b) A mafia boss

(c) A drug pusher; or

(d) A Catholic Priest, Protestant Minister or Jewish Rabbi.

What do the following authors all have in common – Jean Paul Sartre, Voltaire, Denis Diderot, Victor Hugo, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, René Descartes, Francis Bacon, John Milton, John Locke, and Blaise Pascal:

(a) They are among the most gifted writers the World has known;

(b) They concentrated on opposing dogma and opening the human mind and spirit to the wonders of free thought and intellectual freedom;

(c) They were intimidated by the Catholic Church and put on the Church’s list of prohibited authors; or

(d) All of the above.

The AIDS epidemic will kill tens of millions in poor African and South American countries before we defeat it. Condoms are an effective way to curtail its spread. As the Pope still has significant influence over the less educated masses in these parts of the World, he has exercised this power by:

(a) Using some of the Vatican’s incomprehensible wealth to educate these vulnerable people on health family planning and condom use;

(b) Supporting government programs that distribute condoms to high risk groups;

(c) Using its myriad of churches in these regions to distribute condoms; or

(d) Scaring people into NOT using condoms, based upon his disdainful and aloof view that it is better that a person die than go against the Vatican’s position on contraceptive use.

June 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • Egbert

That was an awful lot of typing to simply prove you are a stupid bigot.

June 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Really-O?

Colin has a big brain...and some time on his hands.

Cheers!

June 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • Surprise Surprise

Shouldn't have typed it in the form of a test.... you know the really religious don't like anything that resembles learnin'

June 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Drew

Well Put, all of it; Makes you, Christian Reader, pause to think... Oh, yeah, you don't do much independent thinking, do you?

June 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • Justin

This exam of yours shows your ignorance more than anything else.

June 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • nr

you're only one person. You still can't say for sure that God does or doesn't exist.

June 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Thanks, Colin, I appreciate this and will see to it that it has a wider audience.

June 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm |
    • Mardi

Beautifully written and right on point. The self-righteous religious bigots hate what you have to say because it applies directly to them. I appreciate the time you took to share this.

June 21, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Hoo Myself

Keep up the good work Colin.

June 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Ting Tong

LOL!!! Loved it!

June 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  17. James

More balanced reporting by CNN – thanks guys.....ahhhahhh!! Yes there are some christians who represent the whole – in a terrible way.They are racist backward people who practice hate. The majority of Christians will never agree with the gay lifestyle, and would even vote against gay marriage...but would be kind and freindly to any gay people in their lives. There are also MANY gays representing them as a group in a disgusting way, that do not represent the whole... However here's where the tables turn......there are MILLIONS of Christians around the world who are the feeding hand of God on this earth. It is the Christians who run the soup kitchens in the inner city for the homeless, run the bulk of the third world orphanages, minister to the dying in the hospitals.......giving the most to charity per capita.....In the political arena we might not agree, and then tomorrow I am at my sisters having a great time at dinner with her gay friends.....if we do not agree – we are not hateful racists......just as they may not want to live the Christian lifestyle I lead – that also does make them hateful of us.....

June 21, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • Joe

TRUTH!!!

June 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • Paul

Really? Feeling like a victim, are you? Have you read ANYTHING on Fox "News" about the "war on Christians" and all the classy stuff they have to say about atheists? Yeah, walk a mile in an atheist's shoes, then tell me about being treated poorly.

June 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Certainly.

In the other thread running in the opinion section, the author asks "why don't the 'good' Christians stand up and refute what this hate mongering minority says?

Mr. Mohler makes a clear statement that this kind of preaching is wrong, but others rationalize it. And many rush here to defend "attacks on Christianity by CNN" when the real attack on Christianity comes from evil men within who pervert Jesus' message of love to one of hate.

June 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • al

Very well said, judge not of one another. Thats not our place, a minster should only preach the word of God without adding to it his own views of what e or she would do.

June 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
    • YeahRight

"The majority of Christians will never agree with the gay lifestyle, and would even vote against gay marriage...but would be kind and freindly to any gay people in their lives"

Denying them their civil rights is NOT being kind and friendly to gay people. Duh! By voting against it you're denying their families equal protection under the law. This rights include:

Tax Benefits
      -–Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
      -–Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits
      -–Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
      -–Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
      -–Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
      -–Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse – that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits
      -–Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
      -–Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
      -–Receiving public as-sistance benefits.
      -–Employment Benefits
      -–Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
      -–Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
      -–Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
      -–Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits
      -–Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
      -–Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits
      -–Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
      -–Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits
      -–Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
      -–Applying for joint foster care rights.
      -–Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
      -–Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits
      -–Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
      -–Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits
      -–Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
      -–Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
      -–Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.
      -–Other Legal Benefits and Protections
      -–Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
      -–Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
      -–Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
      -–Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
      -–Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
      -–Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

And by denying all these rights you are NOT being kind or nice to the gay community. DUH!

June 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
  18. Craig

The problem is simple: "The Church" has become a mockery of itself, and let's face it, Jesus sure as heck wouldn't want to belong. What's being preached in his name bears no resemblance to what he taught. "Love one another?" Ha! The Church is all about hatred and bigotry. Jesus recognized the legitimacy of a secular government, but...well, nope. No longer.

In short, you can be a "Christian" and never set foot inside a church. In fact, you're likely a "better Christian" than most of those who do. These people are simply disgusting.

June 21, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • Justin

Ah, yes. Jesus wouldn't want to belong to the Church He established. Makes sense, I think! Unless you're talking about Protestants. Then you and I agree.

June 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
  19. al

Im really glad to see these preachers act like this, they will open the publics eyes on how they hate. Drive people from the chruch and show their ture colors. In the long run its going to help the Gay Community. Now the goverment needs to get involved, why wouldnt this be considered a hate crime???

June 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
  20. Chris

Wow, no one actually took the context of what he said in consideration, and boy is that reporter for real, doesn't even let people answer just keeps interrupting the people he's talking to. CNN just keeps getting lower and lower

June 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • Fearless Freep

Yup, its all CNN's fault that there are hateful bigots out there.
      If we shut down CNN all the hate would go away...........................Friggin Moron.

June 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm |