home
RSS
July 18th, 2012

Father and son join Catholic priesthood – together

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) -  The Revs. Chuck Hough IV and Chuck Hough III have more in common than just their names. The two have become a rarity in the Catholic Church - a father and son who became ordained Catholic priests at the same time.

Both men are both former Episcopal priests, each with a wife and children.

The younger Hough grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area with his father as a leader in the Episcopal Church and ended up following in his footsteps, joining the church when he was 25.

The elder Hough had been an Episcopal priest for 31 years before both he and his son decided in 2011 to join the Catholic Church. First they became members of the Catholic Church, then applied to join as priests through the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter, a group to help Anglicans join the Catholic communion while maintaining some hallmarks of the Anglican tradition.

“We felt that something was missing for years and years,” the father said.

The uniqueness of a dad and son joining a church that requires priests to remain celibate and unmarried is not lost on the Houghs, who were formally ordained as Catholic priests June 30 at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church in Keller, Texas.

CNN's Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the big stories

“We may be the only two that have been ordained together, certainly in U.S. Catholic history,” said the 57-year old father. “The father and son priests in Catholic Church history usually have been a widower who was later followed by his son.”

The Houghs have long been advocates of a closer relationship between the Catholic and Anglican churches.

The elder Hough said he grew up in an Anglo-Catholic diocese in Dallas and raised his son in a similar vein. During their time as Episcopal priests, both men said they identified as members of the Oxford Movement - Anglicans who view their church as one of three branches of the Catholic Church.

One of the most notable theologians in this movement was John Henry Newman, a man who the Houghs said inspired them while they were Anglican priests. Newman, an Oxford professor in the 1880s, had long advocated for the unification of the Catholic and Anglican faiths. After publishing his final salvo in the Oxford Movement, Tract 90, Newman ended up converting to Catholicism and would later become a cardinal within the church.

During their Oxford Movement work, the Houghs said they began to believe that joining the Catholic Church was really what they wanted.

“I came to recognize fully that reunion from the Holy See was the pearl of great prize for us,” the elder Hough said. “It became the most important thing for us."

Both men said their conversions mark a success in the church’s goal of allowing married Episcopal priests to join the Catholic priesthood, one laid out by Pope John Paul II in 1981. In particular, the younger Hough, who is 30, sees their conversion as a model for future conversions.

“This is not a new issue for the local diocese here in Fort Worth,” he said.

But allowing married priests into the priesthood comes with specific issues that unwed Catholic priests don’t face. While all priests need health insurance, a stipend and housing, married priests require a Catholic diocese to provide these benefits for an entire family.

The younger Hough, who has two small children, said the increase in benefits wasn’t an issue for the Fort Worth Diocese.

“From the day I resigned until now and into the future, we have been fully taken care of by the Catholic Church,” he said. “Housing, health insurance, everything was provided so that we can pursue the calling.”

And in pursuit of this calling, the Houghs have become incredibly close - their relationship clear in the way they speak about each other.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“I have come to recognize my son's terrific gifts, and I celebrate those gifts,” the father said. “This is just the frosting on the cake.”

The younger Hough said, “Like father, like son. If God gives me the grace to be like my father, I will be a blessed man.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Anglican • Catholic Church • Christianity • Episcopal

1. junior

Welcome to the Church. The Catholic Church is undergoing a great revival. Awesome

July 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Who invited me?

don't forget to study your propoganda...errrr...I mean bible

July 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • junior

The faith is so much more than what you claim it to be. Peace brother.

July 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • norman

self hating gays?

July 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • chief

other great catholic revivals end up with people being set on fire because they werent catholic or a church state where religious freedom was a myth

July 19, 2012 at 8:42 am |
  2. K-switch

Sometimes I wonder how many of you folks I run into in real life and don't even know it.

July 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Larry Bob

I think you would definitely know it if you ran across HeavenSent or Nii or Chad or the 18-year-old-Capitalist troll.

You tend to notice the crazy people.

July 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm |

@Larry Bob,

maybe, or maybe not. There is a lot of behavior driven by annonymity and the fact that the normally taboo topics (at work and in polite society) of politics and religion are fair game here.

July 18, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • gerald

If you are in a menal hospital probably quite a few.

July 18, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Seems like gerald is acknowledging that believers belong in mental inst!tutions.

July 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • gerald

NoGods, if you looked at these boards you would in fact see that most who post on them are atheists and/or Catolic bashers.

July 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • chief

you cant put any weight on what gerald says... he defends ped priests all the time out here and most likely is one or both

July 19, 2012 at 8:40 am |
  3. Reality

Only for the new members of this blog:

The Crises in the contemporary Catholic Church:

The inappropriate conduct of many priests, the emotional stress on the victims and the resultant billion dollars in lawsuits.

The lack of talent in the priesthood.

The lack of Vatican response to the historic Jesus movement.

The Church's continuing cling to original sin and the resulting subsets of crazy ideas like limbo.

The denial of priesthood to women.

The restriction of priesthood to single men (unless you are former Episcopalian priests which rankles single celibate priests),

The continued chain of Vatican "leadership" by old European white men.

Uncontrolled “birth" control.

July 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • junior

Reality. The REALITY is the facts and data point out contrary to what your observations profess.

July 18, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • chief

hey junior.... instead of sounding like a typical catholic follower of the faith and not thinking for yourself.... dispute what REALITY said.... and all you blabbering idol worshiping trolls or priests like catholicclown or gerald, let this theologian answer for themself

July 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • gerald

Chief are you over here now? Wife hasn't come home to pull you out of the chair so she can clean up the crap you deposited, being too fat to get up out of the chair all day, so you can do it again tomorrow.

July 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

But they, he atheists, are the sane ones...

July 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • chief

re gerald... ha ha ... comedy central is starting a reality comedy about ped priests .... i would say you could act in it,.... but you wouldnt be acting

July 19, 2012 at 8:39 am |
  4. One on't cross beams gone owt askew on treddle

Okay, so a guy who was an Episcopal priest for 30 years says “We felt that something was missing for years and years.”

The thing that was mising was reason. And intelligence . . . intelligence and reason, reason and intelligence . . . Their two things missing are reason and intelligence . . . and sanity . . . Their three things missing are reason, intelligence and sanity . . . and any evidence of their beliefs . . . Their four . . . no . . . Amongst their reasons . . . Hmf . . . Amongst their reasons . . . are such elements as reason, inten . . . I'll come in again.

July 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • Veritas

Go back to your trailer, you're missing "Celebrity Big Brother" ; your mega-burgers are getting cold and your beers are getting warm.

July 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  5. Mass Debater

Didn't they have to get approval from the Ministry of Magic before being able to change wizarding schools?

July 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Eric G

Fortunately, most of the credits transfer. So, they had that going for them.

July 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

proof that harry potter is devil worship:

huzzah!!!

July 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • derp

You have no proof that Harry Potter is not real and a wizard.

I have a book that says he is.

Ergo, Harry Potter is a real person, and he is a wizard.

Because I say so, and because my book says so.

July 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"Ergo, Harry Potter is a real person, and he is a wizard.

Because I say so, and because my book says so."

That and the fact that not even Rainer can "prove" he isn't...

July 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm |

derp
      QUIET.... not so loud...you have no idea how close to the truth you are...I've said too much...I think I hear them coming

July 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • HeavenSent

@Derp
      You are a liar and a sinner, but if you have a magic wand, why not drop by, jesus has been ignoring me, can give you a glimpse at heaven.

July 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm |

Make laws?!

Lol that's funny!

You atheists are delusional.Fearful and hypocrites.

July 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Mass Debater

I'm sure there are some reading this thinking "Oooooh, he is so going to burn in Azkaban for this blasphemy..."

July 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • sam

The dementors will see to your blasphemy!

July 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Who invited me?

Scoff all you want you haters...its all real...I know because I read it in a book.

July 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • sam

May Dumbledore bless you.

July 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  6. Bootyfunk

Two surgeries must be mandated for all churchgoing people:

1. full frontal lobotomy and transfer of that brain power to an atheist. After all they will not use that brain anyway
    2. c astration. we dont want them reproducing and spreading this sickness.

July 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

er... why you stealing my handle?

July 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm |

ooty
      don't take it personnally, this guy uses everybodies name from time to time, especially heavensent...think of it as an homage.

July 18, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

i don't exactly disagree with what he wrote under my name anyway, lol.

July 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm |

exaclty
      just strange to see a post I did not write, even if I do agree with its content

July 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Can I be phony Bootyfunk too?

I think it is quite safe to say that absolutely no atheist wants the "brain power" of any religious person transfered to them.

July 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

"Circ.umvent your intelligence."
      - Kirk Cameron

that says it all.

July 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • My name is legion

I dare any of you phonies to try and be a fake Rainer, can any of you stoop that low. Can you, hey?

July 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlin

Just putting my name up is easy, but creating lond-winded passages of truly psycholic jumbletext is going to be very difficult to do credibly.

Though almost nobody mistakes the fakes for the real ons anyway.

July 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
  7. Bootyfunk

two new cult members. wow! this is news worthy? really, CNN? stop kissing christian @ss with fluff story after fluff story. two more people have stopped using their frontal lobe - big deal.

July 18, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Answer

CNN likes to offer the religious idiots a feel good story because they know these whack jobs need it.

July 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • derp

It's all about the ad revenue. Every one of the pages has an advert in the top right corner. The more CNN can get people to visit these pages, the more ad revenue they can generate.

July 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  8. Rainer Braendlein

@Who invited me?

I subscribe to the God-made faith:

Gospel: God, the Father, delivered God, the Son, Jesus, for our sins and raised him from the dead for our justification.

Everybody, who believes that and gets sacramentally baptized, becomes righteous: He dies for the sin and "enters" Christ. In Christ we are able to overcome the sinfulness of our body and to do works of righeousness day by day. If we acknowledge Christ as Redeemer, his sacrifice will also be an atonement for our sins. Amen.

July 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Who invited me?

All of that was created by man
      There are no god made faiths only man -made

July 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Which God??

Rainey the Rabid. There is no such thing as the 'god-made faith'. Are you trying to say that your 'almighty' sky-fairy has to have 'faith' in himself?. And you believe this pap? You are way out there, along with the Scientologists and other religious cults..

July 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm |

@Who invited me

Such a claim like that needs proof.

@which God??

Sky fairy? Are you like 12? I must say that was clever! such genius!

July 18, 2012 at 1:23 pm |

brony/trolldoll
      proof of what...faith is a man-made idea....No where does your bible say that god created faith, men did
      It's past your bedtime...

July 18, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • John the guy not the baptist

Rainer the bigot for his stated belief doesn't jive with his hatred of the other christian delusionists that belive pretty much the same things he stated. How very fascist of you.

July 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • what's a brony?

You have faith.So thus you just attacked yourself.

July 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm |

brony/trolldoll
      once again you prove that logic is a concept you don't get.
      Run along now little one

July 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Mass Debater

If Jesus pee'd in your face, would you take that as a blessing? How many time's would Jesus wipe his ass after taking a dump? Did he use TP or his own hand? Did he ever let his left hand know what his right hand was doing?

July 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Lol logic does not disprove God.Evidence and facts do.Oh wait! You have none!

*Facepalm•

July 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm |

Brony
      I wasn't trying to disprove or prove gods existance.
      Faith on the other hand is a man made concept.
      Stop jumping to rediculous conclusions just because you can't understand higher level concepts.

July 18, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Don't use logic.Use real scientific evidence that actually proves what you said.

You stated an opinion not facts.

July 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. you say there's a god - prove it.

July 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"logic does not disprove God.Evidence and facts do. Oh wait! You have none!"

If that statement is true, then these are also true:

logic does not disprove Unicorns.Evidence and facts do. Oh wait! You have none!

logic does not disprove fairy's.Evidence and facts do. Oh wait! You have none!

logic does not disprove Goblins.Evidence and facts do. Oh wait! You have none!

logic does not disprove that Rainer like's su.cking homeless peoples infected uncircvmcised penises. Evidence and facts do. Oh wait! You have none!...

July 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Who invited me?

I am not going to bother to try to argue with you. I made no claim that needed proof. You are nothing but a troll and are rediculous child.

July 18, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • gerald

Rainey,

People like you only do more to convince me that Catholicism is the fullness of the truth. There are thousands of you out there all claiming you have it right. You have your own interpretation of the Bible that conficts with others but you have it right. The irony of protestantism is that rather than defend the truth it made most truth unknowable or less important. Ie. those are just in house bebates. Jesus didn't really say that you had to eat his flesh and drink his blood or be baptized or those things don't really mean what they say.

July 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • what's a brony?

The truth is hard to accept.

July 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Answer

The religious truth is easy to refute. It's all crap after all.

July 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

@brony
      how do you prove a negative? how do you prove something doesn't exist?

July 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • what's a brony?

You gonna back that up or just state that as an opinion?

July 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Answer

@Brony

It's up to you to put up. XD

July 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Mass Debater

"You already made the claim so by the standards of many atheists you now MUST prove that claim."

I don't believe that our universe is really just a tiny shiny marble being played with by a child alien. So now I guess the burden of proof is on me to prove what I believe, right? And until I can then we can just assume that it's true since I have no facts to prove that it isn't.

You do understand that you would certainly get a failing grade from any school outside "Liberty University" for your moronic stance on the burden of proof, don't you?

July 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

@brony
      you need to take an Argument and Critical Thinking class. i'm not even being insulting here. you commit numerous logical fallacies. check your local community college for classes.

July 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • what's a brony?

You know what freedom means?

You atheists are just control freaks.

July 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Answer

Freedom means – not having to put up with you religious freaks.

July 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Answer

Freedom means that if we spot a lie – we call you on it.

July 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • what's a brony?

But you can't take away that "lie".TO YOU that is a lie.You can't take it away simply because you claim its a lie.

Control freak.

July 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Mass Debater

I wouldn't care a bit about people who believe in Jackalopes or Unicorns as long as they didn't attempt to make laws requiring me to slow down through Unicorn & Jackalope crossing zones...

I don't care that Christians believe Jesus doesn't want them to use birth control or get abortions or have same gender relationships, just don't you dare trying to legislate my morality and life style by claiming an invisible intangible being need's to cross the road. You can reduce your own speed and drive in the slow lane if you don't want to run over your imagined Unicorns, but don't expect me to even slow down.

July 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm |

Make laws?!

You atheists are delusional!

July 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • wrong side of the bed

So,god came to earth 2000 years ago,as himself,tortured himself to death,rose to heaven and never came back.Some methodology.Some method.Is that the best he could come up with?Bizarre,no?Perhaps you can understand why some people may be a little sceptical.

July 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
  9. Honey Badger Dont Care

Alright! Father and son tag team catholic priest action. Watch out alter boys.

July 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Do you feel the same about Football coaches?

July 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • derp

Jerry Sandusky and a Catholic priest walk into a bar..............

July 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • I Don't Get It

"alter boys"? Would that be boys who have had a gender change operation?... or did you mean "altar" boys?

July 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  10. Rainer Braendlein

"So you concede that the Catholic church has returned to a more spiritual focus?"

You don't get it! The RCC has not changed voluntarily, that is my point, but was forced to put on a thick makeup. Her heart has not changed, she is still a beast and a wh-ore, but bound by secular administrations.

Remove the fetters and she will behave like during the Dark Age.

July 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • Just Claims, No Truth

"Remove the fetters and she will behave like during the Dark Age."

The same can be said of a lot of christianity.

July 18, 2012 at 1:13 pm |

@Rainer,

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. (Ascribed to Sir Winston Churchill)

You sir, are a textbook fanatic. I do get it by the way. The Catholic church has problems – like many others but it is clearly not as bad as it was in the renaissance. You really seem to have a hard time with that notion.

July 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • derp

"Remove the fetters and she will behave like during the Dark Age."

Yeah because the rest of you christards are soooo progressive.

July 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

We know atheist derp is progressive with his dirty Asian women he sleeps with. If he opened his ears he woudl hear God talking to him. They are inferior and a race born from Satan's minions.

Amen.

July 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • derp

"We know atheist derp is progressive with his dirty Asian women he sleeps with"

What in the world would make you think I sleep with asian women. I've been married for over 20 years to a tall, green eyed, Irish, red head.

You are absolutely insane, or a retard.

However, you do a far better job of making christians look like dopes than any atheist ever could.

Thanks.

July 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Who invited me?

sorry derp...taken in by another fake heavensent.
      the real one (if she exists) doesn't seem to have been around much the last couple days

July 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • derp

"sorry derp...taken in by another fake heavensent"

I knew it was a fake. I was just curious about the asian thing. It is not the first time a fake HS make comments about me and asian women. Not that I mind, I think asian women are beautiful (I think there are beautiful women of all types) but I was simply curious.

July 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
  11. John the guy not the baptist

@ who invited me

Paul Simon has Rainer to a tee...
    A man hears what he wants to hear and disreagards the rest.
    You could subst*itute sees or reads in Rainers case, a bigot by any other name.

July 18, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  12. Rainer Braendlein

"Were you molested bya catholic priest or what?"

The Catholic Church has the most high potential of seduction beside Islam, because she always manages to keep the reputation of a legitimate church.

Actually it is almost a natural law that organisations, which are condemned by history, perish. The RCC has committed so many historical crimes, but she survives; that is just demonical.

As soon as people or even scientists or rulers occupy themselves with the RCC, they switch of reason and her glamour attracts their attention. She is a painted wh-ore and people get deceived by her makeup.

July 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • Who invited me?

And again I ask, what particular brand of man-made delusion do you subscribe to?

July 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • gerald

So I guess you are one of those people who think the RCC killed all the people in Europe during the inquisition a couple times over, since some of the estimates have them killing more than the population of Europe at the time. You are looney tunes Rainman. Were there crimes committed? Yes. But not to the exagerated numbers protestants claim. Read a book called "Salvation at Stake" written by a protestant who did in depth research in Europe on the matter for a rational examination.

July 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  13. HeavenSent

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord, not all that often, but enough to keep my carnal nature satisfied.
    Jesus loves me this i know , cause my nip*ples start to grow(and or glow).

Amen

July 18, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Sick phony alert!

July 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • TrueBlueCatholic

look for alink in heavensent's handle

July 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • just sayin

HS, I see you like to cry phony as much as me, what a kawinkydink.

July 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • I_get_it

TrueBlueCatholic,

Ah, so YOU are the one who registered it!? Interesting that you thought it was worth the time/effort. HS is a pffffft already.

July 18, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • I_get_it

p.s. " HS is a pffffft already."

... and all by her own doing. No "help" necessary.

July 18, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Man that was scary, all those lightning bolts, I was afraid it was Satan or Zeus coming to get me because of my unshakable faith in the lord jesus christ almighty, read his words of truth and you too can be saved.

Amen

July 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  14. Rainer Braendlein

Pope Alexander VI. and his "loveable" son Cesare

One more historical fact (go to any library and examine my statement):

One of the most horrible rulers of all history was Cesare Borgia, an ecclesiastical prince (Catholic bishop and worldly ruler at the same time). He commited very many murders, only in order to increase his political power and wealth, such a beast.

Cesare Borgia even had got a father: Pope Alexander VI.

Hence, one of the worst rulers of history beside Adolf Hitler was a Catholic, papal ba-stard. Cheers!

July 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm |

cut and post

July 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Ascribed to Sir Winston Churchill

July 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Christ was born a ba st ard. What is your point Rainey?

July 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • gerald

Am I supposed to cower in a corner because a Catholic sinned? Protestants don't sin? The KKK was a protestant organization. Do you know who they were? Protestant leaders in England murdered Catholics. John Calvin sat in on a meeting that had a man named servetus killed. Martin Luther approved the execution of 100,000 peasants. I simply don't know what your point is with this finger pointing. The Church is a hospital for sinners far more than a hotel for saints.

July 18, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  15. Rainer Braendlein

The Roman Catholic Church would suck the countries, if she is would not be hindered by secular administrations!

Once the very intelligent and righteous ruler of Pruzzia, Frederic the Great, Father of Enlightenment, made an inquiry about the various levels of living in the countries of Europe.

Guess, what he figured out?

The countries, where the ordinary people had the lowest level of living were ecclesiastical princedoms, that means countries which were ruled by Roman Catholic bishops (please notice that for a long time it was usual that Catholic bishops were also worldly rulers or princes). It is a merit of Frederic the Great that the Catholic rats got robbed of worldly rule.

If it yet should happen, against all expectation, that the Roman Catholic Church will participate in worldly rule in the US, I can predict that they will suck the ordinary Americans. They will milk America and use the money, to increase their personal wealth and the wealth of the Vatican.

Sorry, this is historical truth. The RCC is a beast.

July 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Who invited me?

another cut and paste post...
      Were you molested bya catholic priest or what?
      You keep singling out the catholics, but all religions are corrupt...what is your point?

July 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  16. Rainer Braendlein

"it seems to have escaped your notice, but no one here is interested in defending the renaissance papacy – even the Catholics. The protestant reformation happened because the latin Christian church lost its way and even most Catholics understand that.", someone here said.

Renaissance? The only differnce between Renaissance and our time is that the Vatican has lost its worldly power and furthermore the Protestant Churches are there.

If there would be no Protestant Churches today and the pope had the same worldly power today like during the Renaissance, the pope, the Vatican and the whole RCC would behave like they behaved in former times.

The RCC has not improved, you err, but it is only the outside pressure, that makes her pretending piety. Her heart has not changed, she is still a beast or a wh-ore of Satan.

July 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Who invited me?

So you keep saying...Organized religion bad...we get it.
      Is there some point you are trying to make?

July 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • sam stone

And you are still a pompous closet queen, Rainy

July 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm |

@Rainer,

but don't you think losing the 'worldly power' makes all the difference? So you concede that the Catholic church has returned to a more spiritual focus?

Most of your posts attack the latin Christian church of the renaissance because of the corruption of 'worldly power'. One can only presume that you see the loss of 'worldly power' as an improvement for a church.

July 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • gerald

Try not to speak for Catholics Rainer. You do it poorly. The Church is always in need of reform spiritually because it is made up of sinful men. Protestantism went to far and your post says that the gates of hell prevailed and the reformation had to take back the Church. Christ is a liar in other words according to you. I will gladly defend the office of the papacy, though not certain men who have been through it. It is protestantism and it's 30,000 denominations and conflicting doctrines that is indefensible.

July 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm |

gerald
      Rainer is not speaking for catholics, he is obviously saying that they are puppets of the devil
      He was wronged by thr "RCC" somewhere because he is runniing a personal vendetta, but won't say where his faith lies.
      ...faith lies...ironic

July 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • derp

"Try not to speak for Catholics Rainer. You do it poorly. The Church is always in need of reform spiritually because it is made up of sinful men. Protestantism went to far and your post says that the gates of hell prevailed and the reformation had to take back the Church. Christ is a liar in other words according to you. I will gladly defend the office of the papacy, though not certain men who have been through it. It is protestantism and it's 30,000 denominations and conflicting doctrines that is indefensible"

Awesome!!!

How much fun is it watching christards argue over who is the christardiest christard?

Nanny nanny boo boo, I'm way more jesusy than you.

Fvcking retards.

July 18, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • gerald

God bless you derp.

July 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • derp

Santa bless you, doosh.

July 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Gerald the s c u m of the s c u m fro supporting a church that supprots and protects r a p is ts says, "God Bless you". You will burn, burn, burn Gerald along with your disgusting church.

Amen.

July 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • derp

Gerry, see above.

Like I said, how much fun is it watching you myth believers argue over who is the better myth believer?

You retards kill me.

Can't even agree on who does a better job of myth worship.

Can't the all powerful superhero cleat that s h it up for you?

July 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  17. MyTake

so many haters... there are those who are happy in life and those who are not. In the end statistics or common sense shows you what works and what does not... Good luck everybody!

July 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  18. what's a brony?

I think many atheists here have no purpose in life...Or their so desperate that come to the internet claiming their "logical" but words show they are not.

They come to the internet to feed their own delusion.

July 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm |

@brony,

so why do you come here?

What sense of accomplishment does your trolling bring you? Has it made you a better person today?

July 18, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Does mocking one's faith benfit yourself or make you a better person?

Why do you come here when its about religion?

Grow some backbone and take your own advice.

July 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm |

bronytrolldoll
      You are the one who starts each post trying to pick fights with athesits.

The question was posed to you...do not deflect this time. answer the question.

July 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Faith and the absence of faith are but two sides of the same coin.

Why are you so afraid of atheism?

I am happy to discuss belief or lack of belief with anyone. Why is it all about insults with you?

July 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

L, you don't really know how to think at all.

July 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Brony's just another deflection machine. He has zero proof for his beliefs so goes on about atheists and atheism. I admit there is a chance (very slim) that he is right – I bet he can't admit there is a chance (very large given the lack of evidence) that he is wrong.

July 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • @what's a brony?

Trolltard go away.

July 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm |

I could be wrong?

Well at death if I am..I won't know.

July 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |

@brony.

indeed so. Why does it matter.

Unless you believe in reincarnation, everyone gets only one shot. So live the life you have as well as you can.

Why spend it picking pointless fights with people?

July 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • K-switch

If these boards are supposed to be only about religion, why is it you do nothing but hate on athiests? By your "logic" you should be quoting versus or telling other Christians how awesome Jesus is?

July 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • what's a brony?

What people can't question atheism as they shout their own anger frustration etc out on the world?

Riiight.So much for "logic".By atheists own logic,that's dumb!

July 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • HotAirAce

See, he can't actually bring himslef to say "I might be wrong."

July 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • *facepalm*

Given the handle, can we all just agree that @brony is a Poe and just move on already?

July 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • what's a brony?

I already did smart one.

July 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm |

@brony,

no one says you can't question atheism.

Please feel free, question it all you want. Your words indicate that you seem to be very afraid of it.

If you are a person of faith, why is this?

July 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Hey Brony, please quit sputtering incoherently and write something we can understand.

July 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Questioning atheism does not mean I'm afraid.

I already stated time and time again atheists got nothing like the rest of humanity.

Learn to read before you assume.

July 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Brony, free lesson in English:

"I could be wrong?" does not equal "I could be wrong."

July 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm |

@brony,

everytime you post a trolling, fight-picking comment, you are going to get (let's say) 'uncharitable' responses.

If instead you try the civil approach, you might be surprised by how much the tone changes.

July 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • HotAirAce

And Brony, what does "atheists got nothing like the rest of humanity" mean? Please be precise.

July 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm |

@brony,

demonstrate you are not afraid. Ask a genuine, civil question!

July 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • sam stone

still begging for salvation, brony?

July 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • *facepalm*

Please repeat after me: 'Brony is a Poe. I will exercise self restraint and ignore him"

July 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm |

@*facepalm*

you think so? Certainly most of the HeavenSents are Poes.

But brony behaves like trollman, and unknown before him.

July 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • what's a brony?

LOL atheists think logic and reason make them special 😉

July 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • K-switch

Brony said, "Why do you come here when its about religion?"

1. Brony and his many aliases claim athiesm is a religion and athiests "believe".

2. If we ignore statement 1, and assume Brony is a hypocrite because he actually doesn't consider athiesm a religion, then he violates his own rule by discussing athiesm, making him a double hypocrite.

3. Question athiesm all you like, violating your own rules of course.

July 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm |

@brony,

couldn't do it could you?

Abuse and derision are the refuge of the inarticulate.

July 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Awww look at the atheists become angry little trolls 😉

July 18, 2012 at 1:07 pm |

quod erat demonstrandum

July 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • K-switch

Don't even think about it GOPer, Brony was winking at me.
      Back atcha sweetie pie 😉

July 18, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Atheists on this forum are becoming desperate.

July 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • derp

"They come to the internet to feed their own delusion"

And make fun of you jeebus retards.

July 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm |

@K-switch,

Random non-sequiturs don't trouble me. "what's a brony?" has amply demonstrated a total lack of interest in discussing belief (or non-belief) here on the Belief Blog. His fear and paranoia of atheism cannot be more evident.

He is either a troll or a poe. If a poe, I've missed the point. While I don't necessarily agree with the HeavenSent poes, I know why they do what they do.

I must therefore presume brony to be a simple (a very simple, unimaginative) troll.

July 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • *facepalm*

Isn't a Poe necessarily a troll? A troll attempts to provoke. A Poe attempts to provoke while masquerading as someone else – an extreme version of someone else. I don't believe that whoever @brony is buys any of what they're selling.

July 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Answer

@GOP

Brony is just a loser. Having had his butt handed back to him for so long, the only way he gets back at people who have rejected him is by repeating his indoctrination. Every religious nut does this routine til they furious enough to commit real life crimes and then they'll never be seen on any forums. Just wait it out. XD

July 18, 2012 at 1:37 pm |

@*facepalm*

Sure. All poes are trolls, but not all trolls are poes.

In this case I suspect the individual concerned is insufficently clever to pull off the subterfuge.

July 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  19. Al

"We felt that something was missing for years and years" the father said.

"Then after reading many articles about priest pedophiles, we felt the Catholic church was the place for us."

July 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  20. HeavenSent

So sad the father leading the son astray. Catholics do the Father of Lies bidding.

Amen.