home
RSS
Tennessee Muslims sue to open mosque
A view shows the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro in Murfreesboro, Tennessee May 30, 2012.
July 18th, 2012

Tennessee Muslims sue to open mosque

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - A Tennessee Islamic center has asked a federal court to clear the way for a new mosque to open in time for the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan at sundown Thursday.

Plans for the mosque in Murfreesboro, near Nashville, have resulted in threats to the center and a lawsuit that led to a county judge's order shutting down the project in June. The Islamic Center of Murfreesboro is now asking a federal judge to allow the mosque to open, arguing that it is being blocked "merely because local anti-Islamic protests have made the mosque controversial."

U.S. District Judge Todd Campbell set a hearing on the issue for Thursday afternoon in Nashville.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of the center by the Washington-based Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, argues that the center was ordered to meet "a heightened standard of notice in the zoning process" because of objections by some Murfreesboro residents.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Courts • Muslim

« Previous entry
  1. UK Dave & my fellow scientists

...I give you ALL HOPE !!!! 🙂
    ...Ever heard of PRODIGAL?
    ...PRODIGAL = YOU ALL RETURN !!!! 🙂

July 18, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • PAUL

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dliYX-DHntg&w=640&h=360]

July 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  2. what's a brony?

What type of freedom has atheists lost?

Answer atheists.

July 18, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Did you think that post made sense when you wrote it? Really, L, make an effort.

July 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm |

You again?

Stop following me troll.

July 18, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

L, last time I checked, you weren't the owner of CNN or Chief Thread-Nanny.

If you don't want people to respond to your posts, there's a simple solution. Don't post.

July 18, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Lol you just stalk those who shake your own beliefs.Atheists don't seem to like that.

July 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, you're the one asking the questions here. I'm just attempting to answer them. Unfortunately, they aren't written in English.

July 18, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Question:What type of freedom has atheists lost?

Answer:None.Not every atheist has the same opinions therefor no freedom has been lost for every atheist.

You lost no freedom.You are delusional enough to think you have.

July 18, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hmmm. Odd, I don't recall stating that I'd lost any freedoms.

Just a hint, though, Clown/Unknown L: the noun is plural, the verb should agree. "have atheists lost", not "has atheists lost."

July 18, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • what's a brony?

You see you follow what the masses show not what the law says.I mean how stupid are you atheists? You wanna make a law against whatever GO to the govt.Stop being little children and complaining.Take action for once.You flock to the internet because you are protected.

You are a coward.

July 18, 2012 at 9:34 pm |

Why are you here, L?

July 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

One of these things is not like the others;
      One of these things doesn't belong;
      Can you tell which one is not like the others ...

– Augustine of Hippo
      – Thomas Aquinas
      – René Descartes
      – Jean-Paul Satre
      – Immanuel Kant
      – Our little brony

A great philosopher he ain't.

July 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'm wondering what you think the people in this story did, L. It appears they did exactly what you are demanding-they went to court. That's one way laws get changed.

July 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm |

I know. He does make a good piñata, though. 🙂

July 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Why do you atheists feel the need to attack on people's beliefs,tare them down because of it? all because they made a claim you don't like? Wow! What a way to make yourself feel better!

You flock to the internet because you know most are dumb(which makes you believe what you believe about the religious is true) and few will answer questions.But you can't take when someone admits they cannot prove they are correct.Most atheists here won't accept them yet if some idiot makes a claim they don't like boom! attacked within 5 seconds of posting.

You got nothing to prove accept act like a jerk towards the "idiot masses" which outweigh atheism by billions.Billions are what you claim they are without knowing them?

You also follow a delusion.

July 18, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So basically you're just here to blow off steam, is that about right, Bro?

July 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why do you think this forum is here, Bro?

July 18, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Lol no.That was a fact already proven by many of you atheists even you.

July 18, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
    • what's a brony?

You along with many other atheist posters are control freaks.

July 18, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • Answer

Funny thing about these religious losers trying to blow off steam is that it adds more to their frustration then it releases.

I love seeing them going at it. XD

July 18, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

One reason we come here is to give blithering idiots such as yourself English lessons, which you sorely need.

July 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm |

See control freaks.

July 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • Keith

what's a brony?
      Unfortunately for you, ttps has found you. She is stalker. She's also a spelling/grammar nazi. She's just some post menopausal broad who swoons over Barry Soetoro and has very bad manners. Trust me, you're better off ignoring her.

July 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Interesting. You want atheists to stop posting here but you think THEY'RE the "control freaks"?

July 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Brony,

why is it, that you are the one who is picking the fights, rather than the atheists you accuse of picking the fights?

Can you not see this?

July 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ooooh, it's our favorite conspiracy theorist! How are you, Keith? Still trying to prove that Obama's a Muslim?

You and Bro/Clown/L should get along like a house afire.

July 18, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I don't imagine L does a whole lot of soul-searching.

July 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Bah! This looks fun and I really have to run. Enjoy!

July 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • Answer

Religious idiots – can't condemn enough, can't ever send anyone to hell. It only placates their own feeble minds.

Religious idiots – can't ever make up enough lies to spew off to cover their a$$es. The more lies you stack, the harder to make a new one to cover all the others.

July 18, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I know, GOPer, I am leaving as well. Looking into my crystal ball, I see Keith calling me "Jezebel" and spouting Scripture while castigating CNN (the "Crescent News Network") for not being more like TruNews or World Nut Daily and L/brony/Clown/Unknown uttering one non-sequitur (woefully misspelled, of course) after another.

July 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
    • what's a brony?

No atheist should post on religious articles when they claim they hate religion or they don't want to be "forced" to believe but they force themselves.

July 18, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
    • Keith

Good night, Tom.

July 18, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
    • Answer

religious idiots should not be allowed to use a computer.

July 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@brony

Gee, and I thought we had a thing called the FIrst Amendment here in the U.S., that protects a persons freedom of speech. Or is that only for people who agree with you?

July 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Atheist idiots shouldn't be allowed to own a computer.

July 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • Answer

Computers – made by atheists for atheists. XD

July 18, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • what's a brony?

And yet that freedom allows a religious to make any claim they desire?

You cry over it because you have no control and when you see a post like that's what makes you tick.

So please pratice what you preach.

July 18, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • Answer

The freedom from religion is the only one that matters.

July 18, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • Answer

Religious idiots can't stand others not believing their brand of bs.

July 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • Keith

what's a brony?, You'd THINK that a Belief Blog would be full of Christians-not so. This one is dominated by everything but that. From the editors to 95% of those who post here-this is enemy territory. Put your armor on and get ready for a fight if you choose to stay. There are many lost souls here. Hopefully, a few will be saved-but most will attack you. But if even ONE gets saved, then it was worth it.

July 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • what's a brony?

If they make a claim they have the right not to even prove it.

Its you controlling atheists who think they must online.

How are sad.

July 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • Answer

To those that die in life they just die. Saving yourself is your own pitiful need.

July 18, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Brony, please quit frothing at the mouth and write in coherent sentences.

July 18, 2012 at 10:09 pm |

Dat woulf bef noz funs

July 18, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@brony

I've addressed your idiocy multiple times. You have a right to make whatever claims you want, and I have a right to ridicule those claims, and you all I want. Especially if you just make assertions for the sake of it, and never give any kind of logical or evidentiary support for them.

@Keith

Your persecution complex is showing.

July 18, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • what's a brony?

See you prove you are literally a control freak and cry when it doesn't go according to plan.

Grow up.

July 18, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@brony

LOL, I tell you you have the right to claim whatever, and apparently I'm crying about something. Man you really are a moron.

July 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • what's a brony?

You are.You are too much of a baby to see it.

July 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Poor little brony, he is so burdened by all the stupid, complaining, lying, atheist control freaks opressively forcing themselves on him everytime he calls them names. It's just so unfair. It's just like those stupid complaining, lying atheist control freak idiots – all they do is hang around the CNN anti-belief blog and wait for poor little brony to call them names. They are such whiny babies, crying because they have no control.

So there! Proven – Amen.

July 19, 2012 at 1:48 am |
  3. dumm motha

AMERICA IS SO JITTERY! AMERICA HAS LOST EVERYTHING! 😦 😦 😦 😦 😦

July 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

What has America lost?

July 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Sports Fan

I am reminded of a jittery L.A. Lakers team that lost to the Celtics when Kareem had a migrain. But that team got back up and won five championships!

July 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  4. Uhhh?

a am happy for the new mosque and it's members. It is always disturbing to see bigotry surface, and it's always great to see American freedom in action. Now I must ask, how many churches and synagogues are in Saudi Arabia. And what would happen to me if I tried to build and operate either over there. Perhaps, American muslims and muslims in America, can now help establish religious freedom and tolerance in Islamic societies. Perhaps that can be their contribution to civil rights.

July 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Sam

If these Muslims felt that way they'd have stayed in Saudi Arabia, or wherever. The Irish Christians use to bomb people. Did that put a bad name on our Christians?

July 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • HeavenSent

@Uhhh?

Muslims have no place in God's house. Until they accept Jesus' truth and accept HIM as their Lord and Savior, they will burn in the carnal fires of hell with their father, Satan.

Amen

July 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
    • Mickey1313

Tolerance and islam are mutually exclusive terms

July 18, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Mickey1313

@sam, yes actually it does. 2 thousand years of christian crimes Against humanity should not be forgotten.

July 18, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  5. Sports Fan

I am reminded of how the New York Yankees fans did NOT want a new stadium, but it passed anyway. Such is progress.

July 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  6. ThisIsHowBlackPeopleMeet.com

Where is all da white women at?

July 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • ChristianMingle.com

Eeewwww! As if!

July 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

Chrissssen Mingle iis god's plan for me, as long as I pay. God has a plan for all rodents. Thank you Jeebus.
      Amen.

July 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • ChristianMingle.com

@fluffy

Eeewwwwww, as if!

July 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • Kalessin

Never thought I would see a Blazing Saddles quote on here.

July 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Kalessin,

I'm surprised they're aren't more of them Reverend Johnson.

July 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Kalessin

Well Jim, since you are my guest and I am your host, what are your pleasures.

July 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Oh, I don't know. Play chess...

I'm not going to finish the quote! 😉

July 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • Kalessin

Lol...let's play chess.

That has to be one of the best comedies of all time.

July 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  7. Voice of Reason

Religious intolerance breeds religious intolerance.

July 18, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Father O'blivion

Well me lads and lassies, what we all be needin' is a foin snort o'da single malt. Aye, it be only good whiskey that can bring brothers and sisters togedder before the bombing commences.

July 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

Some single malt sounds good right about now followed by a good ale followed by some haggis followed by some schnapps and some reefer.

July 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Aye voice! I be liken' the way you think. A toast to all, and to all a foin beer.

July 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Hs, wake up! Wake up! It is just a dream...you are not an Irish priest! Put.....down.....the whiskey HS, we can't risk it!!

July 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  8. HeavenSent Blog

Hello! And welcome to the HeavenSent blog. This is YOUR opportunity to voice your HeavenSent opinion in a forum about, for and to HeavenSent!

Please frame your posts to best preach to Atheists about the dangers of a Godless life-style.

Here are some suggested key words to get you started:

Carnal
    Satan is death
    Your father Satan
    You atheists
    Smug atheists
    Amen
    Prayer really works

And much, much more! Have fun and be creative!

Enjoy your stay, and remember….Muslims, Jews and Atheists need not apply!

Amen.

July 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • HeavenSent

@blog

Very funny.

You are a carnal Jesus hating heathen. If you were smart you would read and believe Jesus’ letter, the Bible. It is God’s truth. If you don't believe in the truth of Jesus, you will be fat drippings for your personal worm in hell with death (Satan). Enjoy living with your fater Satan all you smug athiests. Try prayer, it really works.

Amen

July 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

My personal worm is very large, and very carnal.

July 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Fluffy, you haven't seen any squirrels around here irritating my dogs and throwing their nuts at me have you?

July 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  9. HeavenSent

The Muslims will have to embrace Jesus' truth if they hope to have an eternity with the one true God. If they do not read and believe the Bible, they will burn in hell with all of you smug athiests.

Amen

July 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I agree with HeavenSent.

July 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Heaven Sent

Who the F desires eternity?

July 19, 2012 at 7:45 am |
  10. HotAirAce

I hope the muslims win! They have the same rights as the jesus myth believers and all other cults!

July 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I am peeing my pants and I don't care who knows it. You are carnal and your hatred for....for.....ahhhhhhhh.......for Jesus will buy you only your own eternal worm in hell to feed on your fat drippings. Enjoy eternity with.......with......oooohhhh.....with your father Satan. Smarten up and turn.....ewwww...turn to God and read his truth in the Bible, Jesus's letter from....from......oh this is heaven!

Amen

July 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  11. what's a brony?

If Muslims wish to build their own church they have a right to.Its the media that fuels the fire.People would have no reason to hate Muslims if the media didn't spread the hate.

July 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Wow, did you suddenly forget 9/11? I don't hate all muslims as people but I do hate the belief...it like christardation is dangerous to society.

July 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • what's a brony?

Actually you atheists are so blind.The leaders intentions are ignored.Those "Muslims" on 9/11 were human beings who HATED americans and wanted all of us dead including other muslims.

You blame religion because its all you know how to do.

July 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@brony,

I actually find myself agreeing with your first point, though not the rebuttal that followed.

The Muslim community in Murfreesboro should be permitted to build their mosque.

July 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • what's a brony?

You do know non-violent Muslims die everyday at the hands of "Muslims"? So Islam is to blame for the hatred towards Americans including other Muslims?! Ha! Total logic fail on other atheists.If that is what you believe rather than searching their holy book for yourself than YOU are brainwashed.

You believe everything you see on tv or hear from the media? Ha! Without those atheists couldn't attack religion so fast! You believe their lies why? Why do you believe them?

You'll believe any crap they say because after all only religious people are dumb right?

July 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

"after all only religious people are dumb right?"

I would have to agree with that statement.

July 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

And the hate, spread by the media, exists in your cat I suppose.

July 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • what's a brony?

That was an insult...fail.

July 18, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
  12. ME II

Where are all the Christians, or other Theists, that claim to support Freedom of Religion?

July 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Most of them won't want to touch this. Though 'brony' apparently signed up.

July 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • Sam

They believe in freedom of their religion to rule the land. All other religions can go to hell.

July 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  13. ME II

IMore copy pasta, but nteresting:

"DoJ Files Suit Against Rutherford County to Force Mosque Opening"
    (http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2012/07/18/doj-files-suit-against-rutherford-county-to-force-mosque-opening)

"The DoJ alleges that the county violated the Religious Land Use and Insti.tutionalized Persons Act of 2000 as a result of Rutherford County Chancery Court Judge Robert Corlew's ruling last month that prohibited the county from issuing an occupancy permit for the proposed 53,000 sq. ft. Islamic Center of Murfreesboro."

July 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  14. ME II

Or this:

"They note that between 2000 and 2007, 20 Christian churches were approved in Rutherford County using the same public notice procedure as was used for the mosque."
    Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/18/4639913/apnewsbreak-tennessee-mosque-sues.html#storylink=cpy

July 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • sam

They just really blew it on this one.

July 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
  15. ME II

Sorry for copy pasta, but Belief Blog didn't mention this:

"The judge dismissed those claims but ruled for the plaintiffs in finding that the county didn't give adequate public notice of the meeting that approved the mosque.

Although the county advertised that meeting in the same way it has advertised others, the judge said extra notice was needed because the mosque construction was "an issue of major importance to citizens."

July 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  16. derp

Christians want freedom of religion, as long as you are christian.

July 18, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • just sayin

You are free only under Christian law and morals. Anything outside of that is of Satan or wrong. Christians are the majority but blame the minority for all that is wrong in society.

July 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • Who invited me?

ants are the majority....but don't kneel to worship them, you could kill hundreds if you do....all hail our ant overlords.

July 18, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • just sayin

I can hear ants talking...it isnt good what they say.

July 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

We are free under the law. Period. There are 33,000 christian laws. Law and democracy predated Christianity. Morality does not arise from religion.

July 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • Sam

just sayin
      "Christians are the majority but blame the minority for all that is wrong in society."

Just like the other fascists.

July 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • llɐq ʎʞɔnq

Actually I was wrong. We are not free under anything. We are free period. We agree, (to place ourselves), under the law, in order to facilitate our common life.

July 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  17. just sayin

Islam is equally as ignorant as Christianity. Just another building dedicated to a delusion.

July 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  18. K-switch

Welcome to the south.

July 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  19. just sayin

Have to say the building looks blah.

July 18, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

No worse than the average mega-Church / aka auditorium / event center / gymnasium.

July 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Sam

Mega-Churches all look like shopping malls to me. Serve pretty much the same purpose too.

July 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  20. hawaiiguest

Who's been protesting this anyway?

July 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • just sayin

White Christians

July 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • Who invited me?

Its Tennessee...WASP central

July 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

All the article says is that:

"Rutherford County Chancellor Robert Corlew struck down that approval in June"

July 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • ME II

excerpt from "Statement of Kevin Fisher Lead Plaintiff in Murfreesboro Mosque Case" (http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_display.cfm/blog_id/42250)

"I am truly honored to say thank you to all my fellow plaintiffs, with a special thank you to Mr. Henry Golzynski. ... To Howard and Sally Wall, God bless you for standing with this community, as you always have. Lou Ann Zelenick, thank you for being a friend, a great source of information, and an inspiration to me and many others involved in this process. Finally, but certainly not least, to all the wonderful volunteers, families, associates and friends who have joined us along the way. Thank you for ..."

July 18, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • ME II

p.s.
      @Who invited me?,
      If the image / caption in the article is correct, Kevin Fisher is not a WASP. Just FYI.

July 18, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@ME II,

thanks for the background. Along with all the "God bless", "taking the high road" and "faith in God" references by the plaintiff, this was my favorite bit:

"This ruling so clearly showed that this government, corrupted as it may be, is still beholden and fully accountable to its citizens, and not the other way around. We are that "shining city" President Reagan so often alluded to."

'American exceptionalism', at it again!

July 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Sam

A puddle of pi$$ shines in the sun too.

July 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm |