home
RSS
Chick-fil-A's marriage stance causing a social storm
July 19th, 2012

Chick-fil-A's marriage stance causing a social storm

By Brad Lendon, CNN

(CNN)–The fact that Chick-fil-A is a company that espouses Christian values is no secret. The fact that its 1,600 fast-food chicken restaurants across the country are closed on Sundays has long been testament to that.

But the comments of company President Dan Cathy about gay marriage to Baptist Press on Monday have ignited a social media wildfire.

10 religious companies (besides Chick-fil-A)

"Guilty as charged,", Cathy said when asked about his company's support of the traditional family unit as opposed to gay marriage.

Chick-fil-A controversy shines light on restaurant's Christian DNA

"We are very much supportive of the family – the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that," Cathy is quoted as saying.

CNN's This Just In Blog has the full social media reaction to the latest Chick-fil-A flap
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

soundoff (1,061 Responses)
  1. The Central Scrutinizer

There is no scientific evidence indicating that God exists. We all know that. For example:

• God has never left any physical evidence of his existence on earth.
    • None of Jesus' "miracles" left any physical evidence either.
    • God has never spoken to modern man, for example by taking over all the television stations and broadcasting a rational message to everyone.
    • The resurrected Jesus has never appeared to anyone.
    • The Bible we have is provably incorrect and is obviously the work of primitive men rather than God.
    • When we analyze prayer with statistics, we find no evidence that God is "answering prayers."
    • Huge, amazing atrocities like the Holocaust and AIDS occur without any response from God.
    • And so on…

There is no empirical evidence showing that God exists.

If you think about it as a rational person, this lack of evidence is startling. There is not one bit of empirical evidence indicating that today's "God", nor any other contemporary god, nor any god of the past, exists. In addition we know that:

1. If we had scientific proof of God's existence, we would talk about the "science of God" rather than "faith in God".

2. If we had scientific proof of God's existence, the study of God would be a scientific endeavor rather than a theological one.

3. If we had scientific proof of God's existence, all religious people would be aligning on the God that had been scientifically proven to exist. Instead there are thousands of gods and religions.
    The reason for this lack of evidence is easy for any unbiased observer to see.

The reason why there is no empirical evidence for God is because God is imaginary.

July 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  2. james

I think their food is really bad....and evil.

July 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Dead bones They are blocking my posts again atheists at CNN True Christians Prideful Tommie tom the liar satan lies in the talmud man-made lies of the talmud no eyes to see or hear His truth blotted out for eternity personal worm that feeds off of you for eternity liar against His truth carnal Jesus’ letter, the Bible God’s truth Jesus’ truth The truth Truth Holy Men Scribes Scribes Fat drippings Personal worms Satan is death your father Satan You atheists Smug atheists Prayer really works Lies, lies, lies enemy of Jesus Burn burn burn for all eternity writing your filth abide in Jesus' truth Minions of satan snakes in your belly

Amen.

July 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • derp

Best HeavenScrotch post yet.

July 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  3. Ah, Christian Values at Chick-fil-A

“I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for an obese slob who eats at Chick-fil-A to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich owners of Chick-fil-A to enter the kingdom of God.”

Minimum wage, because God loves servitude and slavery!

There is big money in gluttony! It's only a sin to do it, not to encourage it or get rich from it!

Gluttony! Greed! Pride! Chick-fil-A embraces three of the 7 deadly sins!

No hypocrisy there! None at all . . .

July 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  4. WOT

I am 66 years old and have been out of the closet from the time my 3rd grade theacher call me GRANDMA! Deal with the high DIVORCE Rate First. Just Love everybody on earth!

July 19, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Oh No!

Don't do away with divorce until after mine finalizes.

July 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  5. catholic engineer

Secular society seems to have one brain thinking for millions of bodies who are convinced that they are thinking for themselves. But, Chick-fil-A, be careful not to flunk the secular Inquisition. You may get boycotted.

July 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • ChristianMingle.com

I have boycotted them since the day they opened. I have never eaten there and never will.

July 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Apatheist

lol... yes, i know it is quite annoying we pesky atheists use the same verified facts to refute all of your individual belief systems... x billion christians each have their own 'personal god' and yet they are all defeated by the same facts of reality... quite annoying...

July 19, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  6. ChristianMingle.com

Is that one of them thangs that makes a black hole and swallows up space and time?

July 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

In matters of science, you must turn to religion.

July 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • ChristianMingle.com

I love you so much right now HeavenSent.

July 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • Apatheist

hahaha!

July 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  7. Alien Orifice

I know it sounds silly but, just stick with me.

Would a rift in space time be a good place to dispose of such a, hypothetical and now entirely lifeless body?

You like you some science? Then you’re gonna love this! I love booty, but enough about your mom. I am here to tell you about something you’ll need in your town…

A big-a.s.s race track for teensy little stock cars. It’s cool as hell. Show us your t.i.t.s!

Let me build one of these in your municipality. And I ain’t sayin’ your p.ecker will grow an inch…but I ain’t not sayin’ it ain’t either!

July 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Chicken God

Hell, you don't need science for that. Happens to me all the time in the bath tub.

July 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • derp

"Allow me to pose a hypothesis…say that, hypothetically, I accidently slayed a pro.st.itute during an eight-ball fueled weekend of debauchery…

I know it sounds silly but, just stick with me."

Doesn't sound silly to me.

July 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  8. Sam Yaza

ahh,... the sanctimony of marriage

seriously aren't Christians like the worst violator of the sanct.ity of marriage?

i mean Christ came to divide families that was his mission,.. FACT

July 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

'sanctimony of marriage'

heh heh.

July 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  9. schmakt

yep. I was walking there for lunch today when I saw this story on my phone. I went somewhere else.

July 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • Rob- Texas

Your sure put the screws to that small business owner.

July 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  10. The Central Scrutinizer

I am saddened by all those who cling to religion and continue to endorse it as reality and insist that it somehow should govern morality and law-making. One can lay out all the evidence and build (and have built) an airtight case against every single religion on Earth past and present, but still believers will not budge from their point of view, even when presented with the lies and contradictions in the very scriptures they base their beliefs on.

Understand, I am not talking about a belief in God. I do understand that. I am talking about religion. Every one of which has been empirically proven false but yet clings like moss to ancient rocks.

I believe the single most important factor in this inability to see through the foolishness of religion is fear. Children’s stories of heaven and hell. The initial indoctrination for many, simply cannot be undone.

Secondly, there is a feeling of community that comes with any “club” Naturally this is not relegated to religion so it does not qualify as an excuse.

Finally some minds are unable to think creatively enough to imagine the more plausible alternatives. What are those alternatives? Well we have to turn to science, but also we have to accept what we don’t know and keep looking. And in truth, we don’t really know anything about how the universe came to be, what came before and where it is going. If there are multiple universes and time lines through which we move, these would be marvelous discoveries. There is a wonderful article in Scientific American this month regarding a new spin on the Quantum theory. That being the quantum universe could have foamlike fluctuations that rule spacetime, not unlike the 0’s and 1’s that are the foundation of computing and storing information.

If we wish to believe in the supernatural, we have to make things up. Hence religion. It doesn’t mean there is no god, or gods, or aliens, but it does mean that we don’t have the answers and most likely never will.

Now we arrive back at fear. What will happen to me when I die? For me, I look forward to an eternity of nothing. Others fear this prospect and prefer to believe in fairies and fantasies and are not even ashamed that their mental description of an after life is akin to that of a 5-year-old’s picture book.

I believe the Universe and the “everything” are FAR more bizarre than we could ever imagine with the faculties we have thus far obtained via evolution on this planet. And I wonder how many millions of civilizations across the vastness of space and time have pondered likewise.

Finally, the entire planet is affected by the irrational belief systems of the various mainstream religions. It affects the global economy, it affects world peace, it affects our secular life style in the United States. These ancient belief systems are based on superst.ition and mythology. One would think humans would have moved forward by now but instead we as a species behave in the same self-destructive manner now as we did thousands of years ago with more at stake then at any other time in history. It matters.

Religious nuts are dangerous fools. Religious leaders far more so.

July 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • junior

Morality without a code of law cannot exist.

July 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • junior

But what do I know about morality? I'm a closeted gay man that's married and has 8 kids and I'm on welfare.

July 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Rob- Texas

You’re wrong Scrutinizer. I don't fear death. I don't think there is nothingness either. Many scientists believe that our conciseness lives on, which is was religion refers to as a soul. Saying that being religious for everyone is due to fear is a short cut to thinking on your part. Especially since you don't personally know me or everyone else.

July 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Rob – Texas

Rob, name ONE "scientist" that believes our conciseness lives on. You can't and you are a liar.

July 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Emps

You're right. The essence of religion is completely out of God's nature. He is far more often than not in disagreement with Christianities own representation of religion (assuming the Christian point of view here). Just because someone says they are a Christian does not mean they follow God's ways. MANY MANY churches and Christian organizations do things that completely oppose the Bible's message (which is one of love – unless you read it in the wrong context). And mind you – love does not mean "make everyone happy and never offend anyone". True love is protecting those who although think they know what they want, they don't understand some of the damages that can come later as a result (e.g. a father giving his kid candy all day every day).

All this to say, God says (in the Bible): "My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts higher than your thoughts." Many people think there are so called "contradictions" in the Bible. But I see them differently. I am an earthly being and I consider the Bible divinely inspired. An ant simply cannot understand calculus. I, in my current humanly state, cannot understand some of the things and ways of God. You say, "What a closed-minded individual who is caught in his own rut."...

But there is a problem with that to. I used to be an atheist. No one convinced me with a hell or heaven message to convert to Christianity. No one convinced me by argument. I did see some pretty astounding prophecies that came true in an incredible way.. but even that did not really convince me. I simply had heard the scripture: "if you seek Me, with all of your heart, you will find Me." I figured, even if the small chance these Christians are right... if eternity lies in the swing... I better at least give this a shot... and if I find God, I'll be glad I did (but I'm not sure I thought I would). Let me say this... the testimony of God and Jesus Christ (the begotten son of God), is a testimony of power... not letter. I experienced His presence. I'm telling you, there have been times when the presence of God was more real to me than the chair I was sitting in. Don't let yourself be deceived that the physical realm is the truth. It is in opposition to God. He is in a higher realm, and if you put all your confidence in the physical (this world and it's logic), well then I hate to say that one day you are going to be terribly disappointed... because in the end, it's all dust.

July 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  11. Bootyfunk

@Matthew
    "H.omos.exuality is not a sin according to the Bible. Any educated Christian would know that. Scholars who have studied the Bible in context of the times and in relation to other passages have shown those passages (Leviticus, Corinthians, Romans, etc) have nothing to do with h.omos.exuality. These passages often cherry-picked while ignoring the rest of the Bible"

you're making excuses. huge excuses. the bible doesn't condemn h.omos.exuality? are you high? it VERY clearly does. leviticus says h.omos.exuality is abomination and g.ays must be put to death. how is that out of context? please don't make excuses and give far reaching, ridiculous answers to cover up the cruelty and prejudice of the bible. come on, be honest as you read those passages. and you mention contrad.ictory passages? please show even ONE passage that specifically says something positive (or even neutral) in the bible about g.ays. don't list a passage that says, 'love everyone' and try to call that contrad.ictory to the specific orders to kill g.ays. christians constantly say passages are taken out of context or cherry picked because they know the passages clearly show appalling ethics compared to today's, so they make excuses. stop making excuses and read the passages honestly - you know the bible is full of cruelty and prejudice. deal with it.

there are passages specifically AGAINST g.ays - i challenge you to show me one specifically FOR g.ays.

July 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • Ting

It's also very anti women. Women are the cause of man's sin. It's mind boggling why any woman would want to be associated with that.

July 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Low self-esteem issues.

July 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • YeahRight

"it VERY clearly does. leviticus says h.omos.exuality is abomination and g.ays must be put to death"

Now that's an excuse. LOL! Christians don't follow Leviticus anymore, it's part of the Holiness Code, a ritual manual for Israel's priests.

July 19, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • K-switch

Maybe not, but then you can't be one of the cool kids.

July 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

" Christians don't follow Leviticus anymore"
      yeah, i've heard that excuse too. sorry, the NT doesn't replace the OT - it just adds to it. follow the 10 commandments? they are in the OT. so, no, you don't get out of it that ez. make more excuses pls.

July 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • Pete

Then you need to start killing gays, or you are going to hell.

July 20, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  12. Rob- Texas

Marriage should be a relgious matter not a political one. Time to seperate chruch and state again. The government was not involved in marriage until the 1800's. That is when the goverenment tried to stop inter ratial marriage. Then the New Deal allowed the goverment to take control of who you can marry and who gets what... Time to take it back. The goverment should recognize civil partnerships with laws about disolving the partnership. If a church will marry LGBT members, that is up to that church and that person. Take it out of the governments hands again.

July 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

exactly wrong.

marriage is a legal device, not a religious one.

get married in a church with church approval but without a gov't issued marriage license = not legally married
      get married in a courthouse without church approval but with a gov't issued marriage license = legally married

you can add ritual and ceremony to a marriage, but it's not necessary. marriage is a legally binding contract between two people.

July 19, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • Cq

If marriage were a religious matter then the courts wouldn't be legalizing it, or granting divorces, right? The courts don't dictate who can, or can not be clergy, baptized members, or otherwise members in good standing in congregations, but they do dictate who can get married because there are separate sets of rights and obligations, tax consequences, and other things associated with being married, or single.

If you want marriage all to yourselves, why not propose doing away with all the social benefits of marriage that government awards? Why not get rid of all the divorce laws that protect spouses in the event of a split, and all the domestic violence laws too? Just let your churches, mosques and such handle the whole thing, is that what you're asking for?

July 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • Rob- Texas

No Cq. I am saying from the goverements eyes we have civil unions, which the same benifits of married couples today. Judges and no longer perform marriage cerimonies. All divorice laws are converted to laws to disolve partnerships (to protect all parties). This way if you want to get married and you find a church that will do it. Have at it. All designated partners for goverment issues, taxes, benifits, etc. exist for the two partners. You didn't need a goverment lisence to get married in 1800. Time to go back to the speration of church and state.

July 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Rob- Texas,

I don't want to be accusative, but it feel like your premise is either sophistry or a matter of semantics. Why not reserve the word "marriage" for the legal transaction, and "sacramental marriage" for the church service? Surely they're just words?

If it's just a matter of semantics, why are there so many proposed "defence of marriage acts"?

As soon as the Federal Government recognizes "civil marriage" or "civil unions" (call them whatever) for gays such that it covers tax equality and the states recognize rights of survivorship, medical responsibility, and all the other family law details the 'defence of marriage' brigade will try to stop gay marriage anyway.

July 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

"Bootyfunk as long as people have your view. Gay couples will never have the rights of married people. This solution fits all parties."
      exactly wrong again.

with marriage as a strictly legal device, lgbt would be able to marry who they want. it would be equal. then churches could decide on their own whether to perform a ceremony, knowing their ceremony isn't legally binding, just a way to celebrate the couple's love. then churches could be prejudice idiots and perform a ceremony for who they want. but if you want to get marriage, get a gov't issued marriage license, straight or g.ay.

July 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Cq

Rob- Texas
      So, you're boiling down marriage to just a word for a promise then, with same $ex couples having exactly equal rights with married? Fine, but same $ex couples still want to get married and, where there is a market, some churches will provide the ceremony. So, in the end, it will come down to everyone having the same rights and opportunities, yes?

July 20, 2012 at 12:14 am |
  13. Rob- Texas

GNN doesn't like my comments.

July 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Mass Debater

No, it just hates the const.itution and your fvcked up circ.umstances...

July 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN automatic filter:
      ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
      co-on.....as in racc-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      cu-nt.....as in Scu-nthorpe, a city in the UK famous for having problems with filters...!
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, drift-wood, etc.
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, etc.
      ho-oters…as in sho-oters
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      hu-mp… as in th-ump, th-umper, th-umping
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      o-rgy….as in po-rgy, zo-rgy, etc.
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      que-er
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sl-ut
      sm-ut…..as in transm-utation
      sn-atch
      sp-ank
      sp-ic.....as in desp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      sp-oon
      sp-ook… as in sp-ooky, sp-ooked
      strip-per
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, ent-ities, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!
      There's another phrase that someone found, "wo-nderful us" (have no idea what sets that one off).

July 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • *facepalm*

If you sell your soul to Satan, though, you can circumvent the stupid fucking filters

July 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Carnal

July 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

*facepalm*

😈

July 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

wonderful?

July 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • HH

Moby Schtick,

I think it was @LinCA who found the "won-derful us" snafu. You can put the break anywhere in the word and it goes thru, but not as a whole phrase.

July 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • HH

And thanks to the one who saved me the trouble of posting the list this time.

(but shucks, now I won't get that commission check from CNN :))

July 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Fake HH

You're welcome HH

July 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • derp

"GNN doesn't like my comments'

How does CNN feel?

July 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  14. Peter

What is so stupid about their marriage argument is they probably aren't prejudice toward adulterers which is not part of real family values either. Especially when you look at the divorce rate in America.

July 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Dead bones They are blocking my posts again atheists at CNN True Christians Prideful Tommie tom the liar satan lies in the talmud man-made lies of the talmud no eyes to see or hear His truth blotted out for eternity personal worm that feeds off of you for eternity liar against His truth carnal Jesus’ letter, the Bible God’s truth Jesus’ truth The truth Truth Holy Men Scribes Scribes Fat drippings Personal worms Satan is death your father Satan You atheists Smug atheists Prayer really works Lies, lies, lies Enemy of Jesus Burn burn burn for all eternity writing your filth abide in Jesus' truth Minions of satan snakes in your belly.

Amen.

July 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • *

*prejudiced

July 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • **

*prejudiced

**WRONG

July 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Sim34

Well, they're not prejudiced against gluttons for greasy, fast food. That's for sure.

July 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • junior

Ok, HeavenSent, I'm divorcing you. You know I'm gay now and I know you're a Lesbian and you're really crazy too!

July 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • psst

"prejudiced" in this case is correct (Peter's original post).

One might have a prejudice, but they are prejudiced.

-same with the word "bias"-

One might have a bias, but they are biased.

July 19, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
  15. The Central Scrutinizer

Comparative Mythology 101

Horus: Egyptian, 6000 BC
    Dionysus: Greek, 1500 BC
    Attis: Greek, 1200 BC
    Mithra: Zoroastrian, 600 BC
    Krishna: Hindu, 400 BC
    Jesus: Christian, 30 AD
    A) Born on Dec. 25 – Horus, Attis, Krishna, Dionysus, Mithra, Jesus (by way of plagerizing a Pagen holiday)
    B) Virgin Birth – Horus, Attis, Krishna, Dionysus, Mithra, Jesus
    C) Sign of Star in the East – Horus, Krishna, Jesus
    D) Adorned by 3 Kings – Horus, Jesus
    E) Teacher at age 12 – Horus, Mithra, Jesus
    F) Ministry started at 30 – Horus, Jesus
    G) 12 Disciples – Horus, Mithra, Jesus
    H) Traveled with Disciples Performing Miracles – Horus, Krishna, Dionysus, Mithra, Jesus
    I) AKA The Truth, the Light, God’s Shepherd – Horus, Dionysus, Mithra, Jesus
    J) Betrayed – Horus, Jesus
    K) Crucified – Horus, Attis, Jesus
    L) Buried 3 days – Horus, Attis, Mithra, Jesus
    M) Resurrected – Horus, Attis, Krishna, Dionysus, Mithra, Jesus

July 19, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • Mass Debater

Your comment is far to sensible and straight forward for the Christian audience reading it. They will have trouble following your insightful logic to it's inevitable conclusion.

July 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • Sim34

They will undoubtedly claim that all these others copied from Christianity, ... before Christianity was invented, of course!

Crafty devils!

July 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  16. Matthew

Homosexuality is not a sin according to the Bible. Any educated Christian would know that. Scholars who have studied the Bible in context of the times and in relation to other passages have shown those passages (Leviticus, Corinthians, Romans, etc) have nothing to do with homosexuality. These passages often cherry-picked while ignoring the rest of the Bible. The sins theses passages are referring to are idolatry, prostitution, and rape, not homosexuality. That’s why Jesus never mentions it as well. There is nothing immoral, wrong, or sinful about being gay. Jesus, however, clearly states he HATES hypocrites. If you preach goodness, then promote hate and twist the words of the Bible, you are a hypocrite, and will be judged and sent to hell. Homosexuals will not go to hell, hypocrites will. This is very similar to the religious bigots of the past, where they took Bible passages to condone slavery, keep women down, and used Bible passages to claim blacks as curses who should be enslaved by the white man. People used God to claim that blacks marrying whites was unnatural, and not of God's will.

July 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Cq

Same $ex acts were a feature of some gentile cultures, so any biblical taboos against it were in the same spirit as the taboos against mixing fabrics, eating pork and going uncirc-umcised: Something foreigners did, but not God's chosen people, the Jews.
      Gentile Christians today really shouldn't think themselves obligated to follow this rule.

July 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • OnWhatBasis

@Matthew, it would be a sin to let you continue down that path of delusion which you are on. Wherever you got the notion the bible says an alternative lifestyle is not a sin must in you wild imagination. You ought re-evaluate that position because clearly teaches the opposite.

July 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No, it doesn't. There are many theologians far more knowledgeable than you are who disagree.

July 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Cq

OnWhatBasis
      Where does Jesus condemn it?

July 20, 2012 at 12:16 am |
  17. HeavenSent

Dead bones They are blocking my posts again atheists at CNN True Christians Prideful Tommie tom the liar satan lies in the talmud man-made lies of the talmud no eyes to see or hear His truth blotted out for eternity personal worm that feeds off of you for eternity liar against His truth Carnal Jesus’ letter, the Bible God’s truth Jesus’ truth The truth Truth Holy Men Scribes Scribes Fat drippings Personal worms Satan is death your father Satan You atheists Smug atheists Prayer really works Lies, lies, lies Enemy of Jesus Burn burn burn for all eternity writing your filth abide in Jesus' truth Minions of satan snakes in your belly.

Amen

July 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  18. BoldGeorge

@ Facepalm

You have to study and know the Bible to even begin making claims of God and the Old Testament. God has a righteous and holy standard and we can see this from Genesis to Revelation. God has always condemned, abolished and destroyed wickedness. However, He has always been merciful to the wicked, forgiving them when they have sincerely repented and turned from sin and sought out His righteousness.

July 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

By definition, a kingdom is immoral. That is one of the most ironic inconsistencies with mono-theistic belief systems. They abhor dictators, but then turn right around and worship one.

July 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

yeah, super super merciful and loving god... LOL!

god ia a baby killer. he drowned untold numbers of babies (and pregnant women, the elderly, the disabled, etc) in his great flood. also killed the first born in egypt to punish the pharoah. here's god sending bears to murder 42 children that made fun of one of his prophets for being bald:

Elisha Is Jeered
      23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

yahweh is a disgusting, blood-thirsty baby killer.
      fact.

July 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

God has you in his book. He has a plan for each of us. He knows when you will be born and when you will die. He is therefore responsible for all death, murder and destruction for all of history including every abortion ever performed, every r.a.p.e, every murder, every miscarriage, every atrocity. He is perfect. He is omniscient. He is omnipotent. So how could this not be so? It is God’s will. Praise the Lord!

July 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Ting

yahweh is a disgusting, blood-thirsty baby killer.
      fact.

But he is God so it's okay and righteous. Oh, and he loves you.

July 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • ME II

"God has always condemned, abolished and destroyed wickedness."
      ... and yet, wickedness still exists... why is that?

July 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

The devil made me do it.

July 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • *facepalm*

"You have to study and know the Bible to even begin making claims of God and the Old Testament."

Been there, done that. Your god is either a total moral relativist or completely evil. How do you justify the murdering of infants as a coercion tactic as 'righteous'. Just because a book tells you that it's ok to murder infants? Think on your own ever?

July 20, 2012 at 12:32 am |
  19. Reality

What a great country. If you don't like what someone says, don't patronize their business. On the other hand I don't like what the owner of Chick-fil-A believes and preaches but his chicken sandwiches outweighs said dislike. I don't know how I can live with myself. 🙂

July 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

i agree, great way to show you don't like a company's social policies is to stop buying their products. no cr@p-fil-a in my state, but i'm on the other side. i wouldn't give these @sswipes my dollar. their social stance causes a lot of pain to the lgbt community, helps to support prejudice and discrimination. not giving these morons my money.

July 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  20. BoldGeorge

Though it is true that one's behavior and proceedings will be based on their belief system, it is very important to note that a twisted version of a belief system that is suppose to bring you to righteous behavior is just as bad as any outright evil belief system.

Those who have claimed throughout history to have murdered because they believed God told them to were just plain demon-inspired, fulfilling their own lusts and personal wicked purposes: Popes, dictators, religious people, politicians, etc. Christ came to this world to save that which was lost. And He lost his life for it, not the other way around. To preach, teach and act otherwise is each person's will.

July 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • *facepalm*

I don't see what your problem is about people claiming that god told them to murder. That's nearly all he DID in the OT. It fits right in line with him MO.

July 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • bro please

July 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
    • Who invited me?

brony/trolldoll
      I was wondering when the next generation of your idiocy would pop up....I won the pool.....

July 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • YeahRight

"Don't worry.Atheists have killed millions before.In the last 100 years,atheists have killed the most."

Religion has killed more people in human history than anything else. Now here I thought your rule book made lying a sin. LMAO!

July 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

History is full of uncounted massacres by armies carrying a religious banner, though most such episodes were in ancient times with much less efficient killing technology and microscopically smaller populations. The number of religious exterminations of entire villages throughout history is innumerable, though most had body counts only in the hundreds or thousands. Alexander the Great is estimated to have executed a million. 11th century Crusades killed half a million Jews and Muslims. Genghis Khan's massacres of entire populations of cities probably totaled a million. The Aztecs once slaughtered 100,000 prisoners over four days. An unknown number, probably in the millions, died in the Devil's Wind action in Colonial India. Up to four million Hindus, Sikhs, and Muslims died in post-Colonial India. The Ottoman Empire massacred two million Armenians over the years. Franco's Spanish Civil War killed a hundred thousand. A million have died in Rwanda, half a million in Darfur. And Christian vs. Muslim violence has obviously dominated our headlines for a decade, totaling somewhere in seven figures.

So who has been the worst throughout history: atheist regimes or religious regimes? Obviously the big numbers come from the 20th century superpowers (China, Russia, Germany) so the answer depends on how you classify those. And this is where the meat of these debates is usually found, splitting hairs on which regime is atheist, which is merely secular, which is non-Christian and thus fair game to be called atheist. Hitchens points out that Stalin's government had all the trappings of religion, including Orwell's totalitarian theocracy, and thus it's merely a play on words to say that it was not religious. Pol Pot was raised a Buddhist monk who grew up to execute Buddhist monks, along with anyone else he could lay his hands on. Whole books have been written on the occult underpinnings of Nazi Germany, the symbology of the Norse gods, to say nothing of the claims that Hitler was a Christian, Hitler was a Jew, and his own writings expressing the kinship he felt with the Muslims. A favorite counterpoint raised by Christian debaters is that these despots practiced Social Darwinism and were thus atheists by definition. In summary, the winner of these debates is the one who can convince the other that the big 20th century genocidal maniacs were motivated either by religion or by a desire to destroy religion. The entire debate is the logical fallacy of the excluded middle.
      Here's the thing. If you write a book called God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, you sell a lot of books. If you write a book called What's So Great About Christianity on the evils of atheism, you also sell a lot of books. If you say that neither extremist viewpoint makes any sense, you end up doing a podcast and working as a greeter at Wal-Mart directing customers to the section where they sell Hitchens and D'Souza books. The truth is less incisive, it's less inflammatory, it raises no ire, and it draws no audience.

July 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Chad

@The Central Scrutinizer "History is full of uncounted massacres by armies carrying a religious banner"

=>you say that all the time, yet you know it isnt true.. why do you do that?

In their Encyclopedia of Wars, authors Charles Phillips and Alan Axelrod attempt a comprehensive listing of wars in history. They document 1763 wars overall, of which 123 (7%) have been classified to involve a religious conflict Axelrod, Alan & Phillips, Charles Encyclopedia of Wars,

July 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • The Central Scrutinizer

Chad, what is incorrect about these statements? You say I know they are wrong but I contest that they are correct.

July 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • *facepalm*

@Chad, referencing a quote on wikipedia whose reference doesn't even bother to contain a page reference doesn't make for a compelling argument.

July 20, 2012 at 12:38 am |