home
RSS
Where was God in Aurora massacre?
Twelve crosses comprise a makeshift memorial near the Aurora, Colorado, movie theater, scene of last week’s mass shooting
July 24th, 2012

Where was God in Aurora massacre?

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Where was God in Aurora?

It’s a fresh take on an age-old question: Why does God allow suffering, natural disasters or - if you believe in it - evil?

We put the question to Twitter on Tuesday and got some starkly different responses.

“In short, God was in complete control, exercising His will,” wrote @PastorRileyF, who leads a church in Bethune, Colorado.

That riled @TheTrivia Jockey, who tweeted, “If that was God's will, God is definitely not deserving of my worship.”

Watch: Survivor of massacre says he forgives gunman

@trentpayne also took issue with the Colorado pastor: "I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Pastor. God gives free will to man, but it wasn't his will that they die."

The back-and-forth provoked other believers to chime in on the theological issue of God’s sovereignty vs. human free will, with many Christians seeking to explain how a sovereign God could preside over seemingly senseless bloodshed.

“It is not God's will or want that people died in Aurora,” wrote @GospelBluesman 20m. "God allowed man's inhumanity to man, rather than intervene.”

The conversation and debate continued in the comments section of this post, with some insinuating that the massacre might be a kind of divine punishment, or at lease divine neglect:

Lenny
We as a country have been telling God to go away. We told him to get off our currency, get out of our schools, get out of our Pledge of Allegiance, take your Ten Commandments out of our courthouses, get those Bibles out of hotels and no graduation ceremonies in our churches. How can we expect God to give us his blessing and his protection if we demand that he leave us alone?

Jesse R
Liberals have made it impossible for God to be anywhere during the upbringing of a child. Can't have any religious connotations in schools, libraries, government offices, etc., etc. Young men (and women) are growing up with no real sense of right and wrong. ... We no longer have the right of religion, but rather the right from religion. Parents no longer have the ability to discipline their children. We are always looking for the excuses ... violent video games and movies, bad teachers and schools ... when we should be looking in the mirror. We as a society are the reasons these massacres happen. We have allowed our children to become social misfits that lead to the kind of carnage we have seen on several occasions since religion and God disappeared from what the Founding Fathers once said was a necessity of a successful democracy ... faith.

Lots of readers used religious takes on the shooting to challenge the whole idea of God:

Who invited me?
How do you know the people that were killed didn't go to hell?, and how exactly does any of this show there is a reason? Reason is obviously something that you have replaced with belief, and you threw out logic with it.

Kyle
"God doesn't exist, so he wasn't anywhere. Get over it. A man was evil, and he was evil because he was crazy.

Plenty of others said the shooting was the devil's work:

Harleyxx
Evil things like this happen because Satan is the god of this world ... for the time being. God will undo all the damage caused by Satan's rebellion and man's disobedience when the time is right. In the meantime we all experience trials and tribulation due to living in an ungodly world. That is why Jesus taught his followers the Lord's Prayer ... 'to pray for God's kingdom to come.'

What’s your take? Where was God in the Aurora massacre? Or do you feel that such tragedies are evidence for a godless universe?

Let us know in comments, and we’ll highlight the best ones.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: God • Violence

soundoff (10,690 Responses)
  1. Evian Bidet

think about this... a man that believes that Jesus walked with the Indians in North America is very close to running the most powerful country in the world. are mormons christians?

July 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
  2. KC

God gave us free will. he created us that way so that we could choose to love him or not love him. That gunman could have turned to God at anytime but he chose not to. God loves all of us so much wether we deserve it or not. God was at the theater he was waiting on the people to choose him.

July 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Evian Bidet

that is bologna.

July 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • HappyMadison

Than try to answer this...

Let's assume there is a God and he does have a will. If man has free will he can do whatever he wants without intervention from God, right? What if man's will conflicts with Gods? 1) Does God step aside and change his will depending on what man does? 2) Or does God overpower man's will? If the answer is 1 than God is not in control – man is. If the answer is 2 than man does not have free will.

July 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • oakville1958

oh give me a break!

July 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  3. JesusISAllah!!

We are all the same god...made up by man to rules the populations of the world.

July 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  4. Andy

I thought that God was supposed to be the creator of all things – including suffering, pain, cancer, etc.
    Or is he only credited with the nice things?

July 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • AndriconBoy

So if God is the source of all pain and suffering, and pain and suffering is the enemy of humanity and our progress as a species, we should probably get off our butts and put the raving, insane madman known as "God," to death.

July 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  5. Guest11

Sometimes I feel like beer, sometimes I feel like wine. Sometimes I would go to a bar without knowing what choice I am going to make in the next 30 min – I'll decide when I order. However, if God knows everything, he knew what drink I will order on any particular day and time in my life even before I was born! So, it's not really my "decision", it's something that was predetermined for me. That's not really free will then. You can argue that God can read my mind and hence know what choices I am going to make, however if I don't know right now what I am going to drink one year from now, but God does, then we cannot talk about free will – it's a predetermined path.

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  6. Firewalker

What say we take this in another direction. 1 John 4:20 says, "Whoever says I love God but hates his brother is lying. You cannot love God whom you have not seen and hate your brother who you have." James 1:13-14 says, "with evil things God cannot be tried..." So the real question should be WHAT IS WRONG WITH MEN?!? When was the last time a woman was like "BOOHOO I hate my life I'm gonna kill everybody that gets in my way"? Let's put this on men where it belongs and stop blaming God.

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

maybe women get their hate on in different ways

July 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Joe

Far more women kill their kids then men. Are you willing to take ownership of that too?

July 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • happily agnostic

Firewalker, here's a very short and by no means complete answer: 1) Lizzie Borden 2) Andrea Yates 3) Belle Gunness 4) Antoinette Frank 5) Diane Downs 6) Katherine Knight 7) Mary Ann Cotton 8) Shawna Forde 9) Winnie Ruth Judd. we could go on and on. make no mistake, women go nuts and kill.

July 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Firewalker

Maybe Bill. But how can you compare anything a woman does that's hateful to mass murder?

July 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • Firewalker

So of the 9 you came up with through out history, only 6 ever convicted, one in a minimum security facility, compares how to the last say the decades of men? I mean come on, you could have at least drug in Bloody Mary of England. That would at least even it up a little and drag in the God issue.

July 25, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
  7. TT

Where was God in Aurora ? Where was God in Columbine ? Where was God in Norway ? Evil got there first. There is good and evil throughout this world. This was an act of pure evil. The battle of good vs. evil is constant. You may find this hard to believe but good is winning. If we were losing the millions of good people on this planet would already be gone.

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • SS

Straw man.

July 27, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  8. Happy Atheist

I am an Atheist. Now that that's out of the way, I am still calm and most of you have just judged me and are more than likely peeved. I find more and more how the same people who say Religion teaches morals,values, a sense right and wrong, fairness, love, tolerance, and all the other things, those things are MOST lacking in people of faith. I have no problem with gays, lesbians, Christians, Muslims, Jews, or any faith, creed, background, etc. Why? Because I have no faith/Religion. I have nothing to argue over, to kill over. I can never sit there and say love is between a man and a woman when love is between you and who you love. You don't chose who you love, you don't chose if you're born male or female. I'm getting off topic. My point is again I am an Atheist, I know right, wrong, morals, values, justice. There is no God anywhere, you can't blame Him for being somewhere or not being there and start questioning it. Learn to live your life for yourself and be happy with yourself and content that you lived a good life for YOU. You only get one chance.

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • elopez

Amen, sista. It's time all of us Agnostic/ Atheist came out of the (symbolic) closet and stake our claim. After all, this is also our country, whether some intolerants like it or not.

July 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  9. Adotey

God knows best.

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • HappyMadison

Which one?

July 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  10. Joe

I took issue with the comment about liberals. No one group has a monopoly on christianity. I am both a liberal and a christian. I'm pretty sure Jesus would be neither a republican/democrat... conservative/liberal. I do believe God was righ there in the theater. I believe He gave peace to those that asked. God gave us free will, not just free will when we do good things but free will in all things. I don't believe death means as much to God as it does to us, I'm pretty sure He cares more about your soul than your life.

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  11. matt logan

When good happens, we thank ourselves. When bad happens, we blame God. It's only in times like these that society takes a step back and said "well... where was God?". Yet churches get flooded because they want answers, and people end up on their knee's asking why... Truth of the matter is, we can't comprehend why God allows things that we don't understand to happen. It's easy to put the blame on God, but to do that holds an inevitable tied truth that there is also a Devil.. There's the obvious wrestle of "God why didn't you do something different..." or "where were you??". God was there. He was there for every second of it. Why did he allow it? I don't know. But in time, He can use it for incredible good in our lives if we allow him. It doesn't make it easier. It doesn't make pain go away. It doesn't make the loss less inconceivable... and it won't. But if allow Him, He'll use it.

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  12. Frankie

Ok riddle me this. Look at all the anti-abortion murders, bombings, kidnappings, etc by the devout religious zealots. Now look at Brevik from Norway that committed the mass murder because of his devout religious beliefs. Now look at the bible when God lied to Abraham and told him to kill his son to prove his love to God. I could go on for hours here going over the religious atrocities in our history. Religion is a psychological disorder to the extremist. This is the problem with organized religion. It's a disease to society, promotes hatred and discrimination. It will probably been known that this kid was also a devout Christian Extremist, since his pastor spoke out in the news recently. God does not work in mysterious ways and there is no evil, biblically speaking. I will say my hearts do go out to all the victims and families that were involved in this horrific tragedy. Stay strong and let's move society forward as a whole.

July 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • RobertJ

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epcurious

July 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  13. Ben

Working with the assumption that God exists, that he is benevolent, and involved in the affairs of mankind does not necessitate that God intercede in this situation. Humanity is limited in scope, the idea of eternity is something we can barely fathom. If death is not permanent how is a shooting a big deal? It is a passing moment, an eyeblink, when compared to eternal torment or eternal bliss.

July 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • t3chn0ph0b3

It's a pretty big deal if you have to live in a wheelchair and pee into a bag for 50 years because of it.

July 25, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Brothers and sisters:
      We hold this treasure in earthen vessels,
      that the surpassing power may be of God and not from us.
      We are afflicted in every way, but not constrained;
      perplexed, but not driven to despair;
      persecuted, but not abandoned;
      struck down, but not destroyed;
      always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus
      so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body.
      For we who live are constantly being given up to death
      for the sake of Jesus,
      so that the life of Jesus may be manifested in our mortal flesh

July 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • HappyMadison

Well, if you are a Christian, here's why it is a big deal: 1) The old testament had a commandment that you shall not murder. 2) in the new testament, Jesus said that the two most important things were to love one another and love God.

If, like you say, these things are not important to God in the grand scheme of things – than why did God tell us specifically not to do these things?

July 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  14. TruthHurts

Why, indeed?

July 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • Evian Bidet

perhaps he's not omniscient enough?

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • LB Colorado

Events such as this is not the WILL of GOD, but the WILL of MAN. God will not intervene with Man's WILL, that is the beauty of a true and loving God. He doesn't want you because HE commands you, He wants you/me to invite HIM in. FREE WILL is the key of GOD, HE is not a dictator, he wants to be wanted and not kicked out. But if you do kick HIM out, then you are on your own – which America has pretty much done.

July 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • XO

It's not that simple. If God instantly put away with evil, the moment it occurred, without rhyme, reason or judgment- this... would be the highest form of evil.

July 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  15. dastreagus

We have to figure out a way to convince you drooling dummies the Jesus would want gun control, Y'all.

July 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  16. just askin

178 pages and still counting. Have the atheists or Christians settle this yet?

July 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • LinCA

@just askin

You said, "178 pages and still counting. Have the atheists or Christians settle this yet?"
      The atheists won this debate on page one. The believers have, unsurprisingly, not caught on yet.

July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • dastreagus

Yes. Bullets kill anyone. Reminds me of the comments after the Spartans surrendered in battle. It is in a book written before you burned down the library of Alexandria, Christians. Spartans hated that arrows killed bad asses right next to cowards.

July 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • just askin

Saying that you won isn't a victory sweety.

July 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • LinCA

@just askin

You said, "Saying that you won isn't a victory sweety."
      True. Having the logical and rational position is.

July 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • just askin

I guess the question for you Lin would be..what did the atheists prove?

July 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • just askin

Logic has it's limits and I doubt it has proven whatever atheists come on here to prove.

July 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • LinCA

@just askin

You said, "I guess the question for you Lin would be..what did the atheists prove?"
      That really is the wrong question to ask, because it isn't the atheists that need to prove anything. It isn't the atheists that claim there to be a Tooth Fairy, or other imaginary beings. The burden of proof falls squarely on the shoulders of those making the ludicrous claims.

It is entirely up to the believers to substantiate that there is even so much as glimmer of hope that there is such a creature as their god(s). They have failed miserably in that endeavor for centuries. The logical and rational position therefore must be that it is very unlikely that their god(s) exist.

July 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • just askin

"That really is the wrong question to ask, because it isn't the atheists that need to prove anything."

I disagree, if an atheist declares something not to be then it makes logical sense that they should explain what is. Even a defense team of someone accused will try and find out and prove at some level an alternative to the state's claims against there client. When a person says something "isn't" they should have the foritude to prove then what is.

"The burden of proof falls squarely on the shoulders of those making the ludicrous claims."

Well...of course one has to decide on what is a "luicrous claim". Though if one says they could prove a deity exists and can be proven then they should try. However, if they are unable to prove a deity exists with available scientific means..one should not instantly declare they are incorrect in there @ssumption that a deity could exist.

"It is irrational to spend any time wondering where these imaginary friends may have been."

July 25, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • What IF

just askin,

When there is lack of verified evidence one way or the other regarding an issue, the default stance is to withhold belief until proven.

July 25, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • just askin

Do you know the definition of belief?

Besides that, it is proven to those of that belief. I know that doesn't fly with nonbelievers but that's how it is.

July 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • LinCA

@just askin

You said, "I disagree, if an atheist declares something not to be then it makes logical sense that they should explain what is."
      I never declared there were no gods. I claim that the lack of evidence for them makes belief in them rather silly. Belief in gods is equal to belief in the Tooth Fairy as there is equal evidence for both. Belief in gods is sillier than a belief in Santa Claus as Santa actually existed (he's probably long dead and never coming back, but he was a real person).

You said, "Even a defense team of someone accused will try and find out and prove at some level an alternative to the state's claims against there client. When a person says something "isn't" they should have the foritude to prove then what is."
      If there isn't a single shred of evidence, not even circumstantial, no court will convict. All the defense has to do is show that the prosecutor's case is without merit.

You said, "Well...of course one has to decide on what is a "luicrous claim"."
      Claims that require magic, and provide no evidence, are ludicrous.

You said, "Though if one says they could prove a deity exists and can be proven then they should try. However, if they are unable to prove a deity exists with available scientific means..one should not instantly declare they are incorrect in there @ssumption that a deity could exist."
      I don't exclude the possibility, however miniscule, that there are gods. It's just silly to claim they do without any evidence.

Do you believe in Bob the Magical Blue Sock? The Tooth Fairy? According to your reasoning they deserve the same courtesy as your god(s).

You said, "It is irrational to declare that something does not exist and not prove the alternative."
      So you really believe in Bob the Magical Blue Sock, then? Or do you have evidence to show he doesn't exist?

July 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • just askin

@LinCA- "I never declared there were no gods."

Well...I wasn't exactly pointing my finger at you but at atheism in general.

"Do you believe in Bob the Magical Blue Sock?"

I have been given no reason to as of yet. But then again, if you were being truthful and I asked you if you made it up for this argument, I would @ssume you would say yes. That way I have proven there is no BtMBS. So far no one has been able to do such a thing with the specific deity from Judeo-Christian belief.

July 25, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • LinCA

@just askin

You said, "Well...I wasn't exactly pointing my finger at you but at atheism in general."
      There really isn't "atheism in general". Atheism is simply a personal disbelief in gods. I don't pretend to speak for anyone else.

I do realize that there are some atheists that proclaim there to be no gods. I don't think that is a a whole lot more reasonable position than one that proclaims there to be gods. While they have the benefit of having the lack of any evidence in support of gods working for them, they make a claim not supported by verifiable evidence.

You said, "I have been given no reason to as of yet. But then again, if you were being truthful and I asked you if you made it up for this argument, I would @ssume you would say yes."
      Nope. I didn't make it up.

You said, "That way I have proven there is no BtMBS."
      No, you have proven nothing. Even if had made it up on the spot, the likelihood of it existing remains equal to that of any god on the basis of equal evidence.

You said, "So far no one has been able to do such a thing with the specific deity from Judeo-Christian belief."
      Someone made up the christian god. We just don't exactly know who did.

I hope the video below embeds, if not take a look at http://youtu.be/kZY2eeozdo8

July 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • just askin

LinCA- "Someone made up the christian god. We just don't exactly know who did."

And that opinion is pretty much is equal to those that have no evidence that there is a deity.

July 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • LinCA

@just askin

You said, "I don't know if you are being truthful. Back on June 18th, 11:30 am you used the Bob example here at CNN. Available evidence aims to you as the orginator of that name and the purpose was to be used as an example against those of faith."
      I can't prove it, but didn't invent Bob.

I can dig up some references to Bob from last year. The earliest record I have of it is from last August. But since I only keep records of my own posts, I have no record of the post where I first learned about him. It was a post by a poster with the handle Rhonda, but my records of even my own posts don't go back far enough to trace back that conversation and give you a definitive link. Even if I could, I doubt it would convince you.

It doesn't really matter whether I did, or didn't, because even if I had made it up on the spot, there would still be equal evidence for Bob as for any god. They would still be equally likely to exist. Bob, just as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Pink Unicorns, the Tooth Fairy and any god ever worshiped share the same problem of lack of evidence for them.

Just because beliefs in gods are more pervasive doesn't mean they are any more likely to be true. The number of people that believe a particular story, or the amount of time a particular story has been around, add nothing. As an example, for centuries almost everyone on earth believed it to be flat. Just because almost everyone believed it, doesn't mean it was true.

You said, "I would say that I have shown more evidence of the beginnings of "Bob" than anyone has shown the beginnings of the concept of the Judeo-Christian God."

The only reason beliefs in your god are so pervasive is that, unlike with beliefs in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus, belief in it are constantly reinforced. When children start to doubt their belief in the other mythical beings, they are allowed to stop believing. This is often not the case with beliefs in gods. It is also why most people believe the same baloney as their parents.

I'm a little miffed that my attempt to embed the video in my earlier post was unsuccessful (I'll have to figure out how to do that as it used to work). Did you have a chance to watch it? It is highly enlightening as to the origins of the Abrahamic god.

July 26, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • just askin

"You used a common fallacy know as "argumentum ad populum" or "appeal to the people", so no."

No is correct...directed toward you. I am not appealing to the people at all with this. It's a fact that there is more conclusive evidence of the beginnings of your "Bob" than what has been shown for the beginning of the concept of the Judeo-Christian God. I am sorry but your fallacy spotting is a bit flawed here.

July 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • just askin

"The only reason beliefs in your god are so pervasive is that.."

July 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • LinCA

@just askin

You said, "One should not @ssume a belief I have not declared. Also, my parents were non-religious if not atheist."
      You were the one who brought up the "Judeo-Christian belief". It appears you are defending the existence of the christian god. Why would you even do that if you didn't believe in it? But, whatever, it doesn't matter, the argument doesn't change, and remains the same for any god.

You said, "No is correct...directed toward you. I am not appealing to the people at all with this. It's a fact that there is more conclusive evidence of the beginnings of your "Bob" than what has been shown for the beginning of the concept of the Judeo-Christian God."

You claim the christian god to be more likely than Bob is because we don't know who invented it. We don't know who invented it is because people have believed in it for a few thousand years. Your argument is therefore an argument by appealing to those that have handed down the belief to their offspring. Your only "evidence" is other people's beliefs. This is a full-blown argumentum ad populum.

You said, "I am sorry but your fallacy spotting is a bit flawed here."
      Of course not.

July 27, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • Just askin

LinCA- "You were the one who brought up the "Judeo-Christian belief". It appears you are defending the existence of the christian god."

Considering that the comment board ti_tle is aimed toward the Judeo-Christian God and that most religious ppl on here are of that faith, it makes sense to focus there. If this had been a Hindu oriented theme, I would have stuck with that.

"Why would you even do that if you didn't believe in it?"

"Your argument relies entirely on people keeping the belief in tact and handing it down from generation to generation. Had it not for a large group of people believing in this god, it would have died out a long time ago."

Possible..a good theory. However, throughout Jewish history..the faith was carried on only by a small % of the original population. I had a prof once that said the greatest miracle in the Bible was the very fact that any of the religion survived so much time.

"You claim the christian god to be more likely than Bob is because we don't know who invented it."

We have more testable evidence of who created "Bob" than the Christian God.

"Your argument is therefore an argument by appealing to those that have handed down the belief to their offspring. Your only "evidence" is other people's beliefs. This is a full-blown argumentum ad populum."

July 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • LinCA

@Just askin

You said, "Considering that the comment board ti_tle is aimed toward the Judeo-Christian God and that most religious ppl on here are of that faith, it makes sense to focus there."
      OK. The title doesn't specifically refer to the christian god, and while that is obviously the dominant belief held by believing commenters, I kept my references general until you specifically mentioned one. But again, whatever, they are all equally likely.

You said, "If this had been a Hindu oriented theme, I would have stuck with that."
      OK. Fair enough. I have no particular bias against any mythical being. I'm an equal opportunity disbeliever.

You said, "Because debating is fun. The majority of the people on here realize they will not change anyone's beliefs or non-beliefs on here but we still come on to argue."
      I have the Belief Blog bookmarked under "Entertainment" 😉

You said, "Possible..a good theory. However, throughout Jewish history..the faith was carried on only by a small % of the original population."
      The church of Bob the Magical Blue Sock is still very small, but as long as we keep up the good works, it will survive and prosper.

You said, "I had a prof once that said the greatest miracle in the Bible was the very fact that any of the religion survived so much time."
      If you look at the history of the bible and the various religions based on it, it is debatable if any of it survived. Have you had a chance to watch the video yet? The origins of these religions probably don't resemble any of the current ones.

You said, "We have more testable evidence of who created "Bob" than the Christian God."
      But dismissing, even with solid evidence, one mythical being doesn't lend and credence to the stories of any of the others. Just because you can conclusively prove that it's not 12 white mice that cause cars to move, that doesn't mean that the hypothesis that it is done by leprechauns is any more valid. You'll have to independently establish that it is done by these leprechauns for that story to have merit.

You said, "No...it all comes down to evidence of what can be proven. That's science. If one says that the concept of God was created by a man...those who had passed it down is irrelevant. The goal is to return to the source if there ever was one. Otherwise, to claim that someone made God up is nothing but an unproven theory."
      Semantics, but OK. Until there is verified evidence that there are any gods, it is unreasonable to assume they exist. Without this evidence, it is far more likely (is that better?) that these gods were invented by man.

Since all the believers have are ancient texts, Harry Potter isn't any less likely to exist than their gods. These texts being ancient, if anything, make their stories more suspect, not more likely.

July 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • just askin

"I have the Belief Blog bookmarked under "Entertainment" "

Lol

"The church of Bob the Magical Blue Sock is still very small.."

Good..now we have two examples of how you were wrong.

"it is far more likely (is that better?) "

It is more precise in that it is not so definite.

July 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
  17. Brian

Where was God? Absent, as he always is. Where was Santa Claus? Same.

July 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • LB Colorado

Try looking for Him, you just might find Him. HE may not be where YOU think HE should be, but HE is where HE needs to be. You/I cannot possibly know the mind of God – what you see here may not make sense, but that is not our job to make sense of everything especially something of this caliber.

July 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  18. Debbie

CNN -shame on you for using this N-E-W-S forum to promote your anti-God propoganda. I pity those that are so clueless to God. P-I-T-Y. That's all you get.

July 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Happy Jack

N E W S Flash! There is no god Debbie.

July 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • Evian Bidet

to Allah?

July 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • Tom Cruise

There is no god – only Scientology!

July 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Are P-I-T-Y and N-E-W-S acronyms for something?

July 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • sam stone

debbie: spending a lot of time on your knees, are you?

July 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • James

Anti god progaganda? Really? This article presented multiple points of view from believers and non believers alike. Is it your opinion that non believers have no right to voice an opinion? If you are truly secure in you're faith, why would you be threatened by the opinions of non believers? As someone posted above, we need to stop looking to god to solve our problems. He does not exist. And we do not need him. We can be good without god. Kindness, compassion, and sympathy are not exclusive to those who believe in fairy tales.

July 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • sam stone

debbie: this is a belief blog, not a news forum. try to keep up

July 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  19. Allow

Who are we to question God actions or to all events that are tragic?

Man thinks he can control everything but when something is out of control they ask "Why did God allow this?" Ever wonder that maybe we don't need to know? Who are WE to ask Him? Get over it everyone. The "reasons" of what happen is maybe its for us not to know. Stop questioning God and start blaming ourselves too.

We are responsible for our actions, God just allows it to remind us what sinners we really are.

July 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • just sayin

Stop questioning God and start blaming ourselves too.

We should question everything that our fellow man says is of God starting with the Book of Babble.

July 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • t3chn0ph0b3

Then He's a pretty big jerk.

July 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • oakville1958

You have every right to question God or whoever! It is people with blind faith who fall prey to all those manipulators who use religion to create hatred and misunderstanding. If you believe in your soul and don't fear death, these kinds of events are just experiences that our souls want to encounter – remember our presence on this earth is temporary and our souls are eternal. As long as we realize whatever happens to us, is what we want to experience, we can never be victims or villains.

July 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  20. Jochen

It's amazing that believers don't just see the simplest explanation: There is no god. The only ones who can prevent suffering in this world is us and us alone.

July 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

hinduism, absurdity, every one has a gowd, the belly, base word for god. hindu pagans pray to as their deity to please their hindu soul, filthy desire.

July 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • LOL

If there is "no god" as you saying why are you mentioning it?

July 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • LOL

If there is "no god" as you are saying why are you mentioning it?

July 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • OTOH

LOL,

YOU brought it up.

July 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214
About this blog