home
RSS
Where was God in Aurora massacre?
Twelve crosses comprise a makeshift memorial near the Aurora, Colorado, movie theater, scene of last week’s mass shooting
July 24th, 2012

Where was God in Aurora massacre?

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Where was God in Aurora?

It’s a fresh take on an age-old question: Why does God allow suffering, natural disasters or - if you believe in it - evil?

We put the question to Twitter on Tuesday and got some starkly different responses.

“In short, God was in complete control, exercising His will,” wrote @PastorRileyF, who leads a church in Bethune, Colorado.

That riled @TheTrivia Jockey, who tweeted, “If that was God's will, God is definitely not deserving of my worship.”

Watch: Survivor of massacre says he forgives gunman

@trentpayne also took issue with the Colorado pastor: "I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Pastor. God gives free will to man, but it wasn't his will that they die."

The back-and-forth provoked other believers to chime in on the theological issue of God’s sovereignty vs. human free will, with many Christians seeking to explain how a sovereign God could preside over seemingly senseless bloodshed.

“It is not God's will or want that people died in Aurora,” wrote @GospelBluesman 20m. "God allowed man's inhumanity to man, rather than intervene.”

The conversation and debate continued in the comments section of this post, with some insinuating that the massacre might be a kind of divine punishment, or at lease divine neglect:

Lenny
We as a country have been telling God to go away. We told him to get off our currency, get out of our schools, get out of our Pledge of Allegiance, take your Ten Commandments out of our courthouses, get those Bibles out of hotels and no graduation ceremonies in our churches. How can we expect God to give us his blessing and his protection if we demand that he leave us alone?

Jesse R
Liberals have made it impossible for God to be anywhere during the upbringing of a child. Can't have any religious connotations in schools, libraries, government offices, etc., etc. Young men (and women) are growing up with no real sense of right and wrong. ... We no longer have the right of religion, but rather the right from religion. Parents no longer have the ability to discipline their children. We are always looking for the excuses ... violent video games and movies, bad teachers and schools ... when we should be looking in the mirror. We as a society are the reasons these massacres happen. We have allowed our children to become social misfits that lead to the kind of carnage we have seen on several occasions since religion and God disappeared from what the Founding Fathers once said was a necessity of a successful democracy ... faith.

Lots of readers used religious takes on the shooting to challenge the whole idea of God:

Who invited me?
How do you know the people that were killed didn't go to hell?, and how exactly does any of this show there is a reason? Reason is obviously something that you have replaced with belief, and you threw out logic with it.

Kyle
"God doesn't exist, so he wasn't anywhere. Get over it. A man was evil, and he was evil because he was crazy.

Plenty of others said the shooting was the devil's work:

Harleyxx
Evil things like this happen because Satan is the god of this world ... for the time being. God will undo all the damage caused by Satan's rebellion and man's disobedience when the time is right. In the meantime we all experience trials and tribulation due to living in an ungodly world. That is why Jesus taught his followers the Lord's Prayer ... 'to pray for God's kingdom to come.'

What’s your take? Where was God in the Aurora massacre? Or do you feel that such tragedies are evidence for a godless universe?

Let us know in comments, and we’ll highlight the best ones.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: God • Violence

soundoff (10,690 Responses)
  1. Ahmed

God created us in the perfect situation (paradise), it is the people that caused the trouble on themselves and they reap what they sow

July 26, 2012 at 12:57 am |
    • Observer

Ahmed,

So tell us about the 70 people who "brought this on themselves".

Get into the REAL world and out of fantasy. A heartless God supposedly watched this happen.

July 26, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • Ahmed

The general situation which mankind is in I'm talking about, as for anyone that suffers injustice while alive, they will be compensated for by God. compensation can be, being forgiven for your sins

July 26, 2012 at 1:10 am |
    • SaveTheUSA

Is that why your guys do jihad and kill kaffirs?

July 26, 2012 at 6:24 am |
  2. euprax

Where was God in Aurora massacre? This "problem" instantly vanishes once you see the reality that no gods exist. It's like asking "Where was Thor in the Aurora massacre?". I feel sorry for those who are wasting their precious moments of life obsessing over religious delusions.

July 26, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • The King Is Coming

Don't. We have the joy of the Lord, and are therefore living fulfilling lives. But thanks for your concern...

July 27, 2012 at 3:18 am |
  3. ArthurP

US Government has now banned the sale of BuckyBall Magnets because if swallowed by a child they could damage a child’s insides. Guns however are still allowed to be sold even though the do kill 8 children a day.

July 25, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

Both things happen only cause parents don't watch close enough.

July 25, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • Mark H.

Arthur, that's actually an incorrect statement on both counts. Please research and re-post... and while you are at it, please re-read the article you are commenting on as it appears your words bear no relationship to the article.

July 26, 2012 at 12:08 am |
    • ArthurP

CPSC bans sale of Buckyballs magnetic toys, cites hazard

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that a total of 3,042 children and teens died by gunfire in 2007— a number nearly equal to the total number of U.S. combat deaths in Iraq and four times the number of American combat fatalities in Afghanistan to date.

July 26, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • Observer

Mark H.,

You might want to start doing some research in the future so you'll know better.

July 26, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • Ruben

i know a co that shot his daughter in the head by accident while cleaning his pistol. Don't forger about the Navy Seal last month that shot himself in the head. Should we not let them have guns either? Give them non-lethal weapons. That will work

July 26, 2012 at 12:53 am |
    • Observer

Ruben,

No "civilian" needs a weapon that will kill 40 people in seconds before needing a reload.

Your example was just plain silly.

July 26, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • Icedog

Very Good Point!

July 26, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • SaveTheUSA

Ya.. Will.. Pry.. My.. Guns.. From.. My.. Cold.. Dead.. Hand.

We have a 2nd amendment right and all attempts to "regulate" my legal rights to defend myself are just a first small step to confiscating all guns. and I vote. My friends too. politicians remember.

July 26, 2012 at 5:28 am |
    • ArthurP

SaveTheUSA

Right. Your gun will save you from the smart bomb dropped from 30K feet into your bunker. Ask the Taliban how well all there guns save them. The 2nd amendment is out of date scrap it.

July 26, 2012 at 8:26 am |
  4. GOD PARTICLE UK Dave

WITH ALL GOD PARTICLES INCLUDED ...
    Success spells success spells success!

July 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
  5. GOD PARTICLE UK Dave

...WITH ALL GOD PARTICLES INCLUDED ...
    ...I ask all to remember what BEAUTY is!
    ...You see so much beauty!
    ...SUCH A SIMPLE GOD PARTICLE MIRACLE!

July 25, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
  6. BrazenOptimist

Somehow, I find it easier to reconcile incomprehensible situations and the concept of a loving God since I started raising kids. Sometimes, I have to let my children experience something painful in order to learn and grow into the people I know they can become.

I may let them undergo consequences that, in their limited experience, seem like the end of the world. In their anger, they lash out, telling me I’m mean and must hate them. Meanwhile, my heart breaks, because the easiest thing in the world would be to give them what they want. The easiest, but not the best for them in the long term.

There’s a reason we call God “Our Father”. Jesus called him “Abba”, or “Daddy”. God knows best, and He has the self-discipline to see it through. Christians believe that God Himself does not hesitate to suffer. He has not asked us to do anything He has not done. Jesus, his beloved Son, begged for the cup to pass from him. He did not want to die – and certainly not by crucifixion. But he went dutifully to the cross. To me, this is a sign that there is a larger game afoot. That Jesus knew that death is not the end, that he knew that – in the eternal picture – his suffering was worth enduring.

Watching my own children, who know so much less of the world than I do, respond in frustration to my decisions, I have developed a comfort in the idea that there’s a much bigger picture than we see. Maybe God, our Father, knows best, and he’s playing the long game. Here's hoping.

July 25, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • Observer

I'm curious. Do you stop your children when they are headed out into a street or a fire?

Do you tell them that whatever they do wrong, you won't punish them until they die?

July 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • Peace2All

@BrazenOptimist

Hi -Brazen...

And, this loving parentified God-model you have as your point of view. Is the long or end game include 'eternal' dam-nation at the end, if we humans happen to (not) *believe* in this narrative that we *have to* *believe* in order to not burn in ever lasting torment ?

Curious in California !

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • BrazenOptimist

@Observer: Not having eternity to parent them, I give myself the luxury of micromanaging a wee bit more than God might. I only have until they turn 18 (or finally move out) to get the job done.

July 25, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • BrazenOptimist

@Peace: I tend to suspect that our cultural interpretations of deity are just that. There's a lot of commonality between the basic tenets of most of the major religions. So... short answer... "not so much".

July 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Peace2All

@BrazenOptimist

Hi -Brazen...

Thank you for responding... I appreciate your viewpoint.

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • Observer

BrazenOptimist,

Looks like you actually care about your children and wouldn't ignor horrible things happening to them.

July 26, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • BrazenOptimist

@Observer: LOL. Fair point. I always say I've worked WAY too hard on these two to start over with new ones now... (which is just a joke, btw, if anyone fears I actually consider letting my children come to bodily harm). But from this perspective, I do permit them to take risks which I can understand, the outcomes of which I can handle. Who's to say God's threshold as to what's understandable isn't just different than mine? Will I let them get seriously injured, no. Will I let them risk minor injury or emotional upset, yes. If I roll my eyes at what my kids think is unbearable, maybe from the vantage point of an eternal being, the things I fear most on earth – up to and including death – are momentary.

July 26, 2012 at 12:39 am |
    • Observer

BrazenOptimist,

You sound like a very good parent.

I'd guess that you believe that your children should be told the rules and if they disobey, they should be immediately punished to teach them the lesson. I'd guess that you let them clearly know that you are in charge. I also guess that you'd do anything you could to prevent your kids from physical harm and absolutely couldn't stand it to see them hurt if you could help them.

Looks like you'd make a lousy God if offered the job. I'm proud to say I would.

July 26, 2012 at 12:47 am |
    • BrazenOptimist

@Observer: Thanks? I think?

July 26, 2012 at 1:12 am |
  7. Dude65

It baffles my mind to think there are still people out there who believe in a book that was written by idiots that thought the world was flat.

The Earth is 4.5 billion years old but a book written in a millisecond of that time has all the answers.

LOL~!~!

July 25, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
  8. ThankGodI'mAtheist

All of this non-sense about god is blowing my mind! I'm reading a bunch of quotes and ideas that are derived from a book that is just as reliable as Harry Potter. All the believers really need to open their mind to other ideas and educate themselves instead of being afraid of burning in hell for thinking that God may not exist. "God made the one gun jam and saved lives". Get a grip and think critically for once.

July 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • Ruben

I was at Seaworld yesterday, and I saw and heard a conversation in Spanish between some folks that looked like they were out of a Nat Geo Mag. The oldest woman, which I believe to be the matriarch, told the younger woman, " let them get lost, that way they can learn". I am not kidding, these people have s-–t for brains. Can you imagine, letting your kids out of site, or letting them get lost at Seaworld to teach them not to get lost. Well, my point is, they should not have guns, and they probably are devout Catholics. Intelligent people like that always follow religion.

July 26, 2012 at 1:02 am |
  9. OMG

All of this non-sense about God is blowing my MIND! You were told to believe this and never question it. Open your mind and ask questions instaed of just quoting a fairy tail book that is as reliable as Harry Potter! Educate yourselves. The amount of intellectuals that are atheists is an astoundingly high number for a reason: they believe in evidence, not myth. Don't believe what you are told to believe and think for yourselves for once.

July 25, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • BrazenOptimist

Just a flip-side thought. I am a highly educated person working in a premier national scientific laboratory, married to a man with a PhD in genetics from Stanford. I believe in God. I believe in God not because I was told to, or because of what's in a book, but because of what has happened in my life. Not all Christians were born and raised on the Bible, and not all are uneducated. That said, some of the noisiest ones are. 😉

July 25, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Peace2All

@BrazenOptimist

Fascinating... are you also in 'genetics' ? Or, something else ?

Peace...

July 26, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • BrazenOptimist

@Peace: Nope. I'm actually a programmer/geek. The lab is focused on biomedical engineering. I also can't claim a degree from Stanford, but I did live in California, for about 10 years – San Francisco area. Thanks for the notes, enjoyed chatting with you.

July 26, 2012 at 12:12 am |
    • Peace2All

@BrazenOptimist

And... thank you as well. Very much enjoyed our short chats. Hope to see you back on here at some point.

Peace...

July 26, 2012 at 12:15 am |
    • Hambone Jones

BrazenOptimist
      Could you convince any of us with your logic, or is it just a subjective belief? In other words, does your intellect actually play a part in your belief in God, or do you believe despite it?

July 26, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Ilovejesus

That's why it's called faith, genius. We don't have to see to believe.

July 26, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • BrazenOptimist

@Hambone: I wish I could say that I had found the ultimate, indisputable proof that God exists and is just as I describe. Truly. Here's what I can tell you. There are many common elements (ok, and obvious divergence!) between the major religions, both in the minor details of their legend, and major underlying principles. Enough so that it leads me to believe that there is a universal truth that lies behind it all.

But the truth is, my coming to believe in God was a bit more dramatic. It involved my new-born baby (5 years in the trying), who had a massive brain hemorrhage about 12 hours after birth. She wasn't expected to live. And I didn't think I would either. One night I stood in a hospital shower with the water pouring down (no comments, please) and really, really didn't think I could ever come out. And suddenly, I don't know why, I started to pray. They say there are no atheists in foxholes. Anyway, I felt this wave of assurance and comfort rush over me that was almost tangible. Strangest darned thing. And all of a sudden, I went from totally muddled and confused and boxed in, to knowing exactly what to do. Didn't know if she'd live or not, but just knew it would all be ok. Christians like to refer to the Holy Spirit, "still, small, voices", etc. I don't know what to call it, but it was just THERE. And I swear, without it, I might still be in that shower. Since then, my daughter's recovery has dumbfounded every doctor she sees. She has inspired so many people, in so many ways, with her strength and courage. None of us take anything for granted. At that time, I could see nothing but anguish, and now, out of all that, there is so much goodness.

So, unfortunately, I'm without the proof points you're after. There's a book called "The Case for Faith" (I admit that it's sitting on my bedside table not yet read), but if you're exploring such concepts that might be an interesting read for you. Otherwise, you can find me on Twitter @brazenoptimist and see more of my take on the world. (is that a faux pas to post here? If so, I'm sure they will censor and I offer my apologies)

July 26, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • Ruben

If you pay attention to the religious people's comments; they usually have poor grammar.

July 26, 2012 at 1:05 am |
    • BrazenOptimist

@Reuben: If that's true of me, it must be time for bed. I'm usually a decent writer when I'm not half-asleep. Enjoyed chatting with all of you – stayed up way past bedtime. Hope to 'see' you again soon.

July 26, 2012 at 1:16 am |
    • Hambone Jones

BrazenOptimist
      Every human society views murder and theft as bad things, so you assume that some supernatural being must have told us it was wrong? Couldn't we have figured it out for ourselves? "Universal truth" could simply be instinctual behavior, right?

Concerning your shower prayer, why do you assume that there was anything more going on than just your own psyche tapping into your inner strength? Marathon runners can tell you all about that.

Doctors aren't so easily "dumbfounded", as you presume. They all understand that there are cases where the patients beat the odds against recovery just as there are cases where patients die on the table during a routine day surgery. Sometimes these "anti-miracles" make the news, but they just aren't as popular to talk about as the good luck stories. Sorry to tell you this, but you're seeing something that isn't really there.

July 26, 2012 at 1:20 am |
  10. sarah

Technically, we're all going to die anyway and no matter how it happens, most of us are going to wish for God's intervention. We were created to die. If God does exist and really loves us, death must not be as bad as we fear.

July 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

...ooops.

July 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
  11. patrick

To those who say The U.S. has taken God out of the schools, libraries, government offices, etc., have you ever heard of individual prayer? God can be with you always. Just call God through your prayers.

July 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

Peeps who say stuff like that are the same peeps who are butthurt they can't get the whole bible passed as laws.

July 25, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Hambone Jones

They like to LEAD big groups of people in prayer, so there's no glory in people just praying on their own.

July 26, 2012 at 12:39 am |
  12. Dee

When reading accounts of people who have had near death experiences, many describe a scenario in which their purpose in life is revealed to them. Many describe that it was revealed to them that they pre-planned certain events and situations in their live here to include experiences in which we grow, and in which our loved ones grow. Many describe God as having the overall plan, but steps back and allows our free will to guide us in our life experiences in order to learn and grow. One described an event which, to us, is gut-wrenching and heart-breaking, but compares it to a toddler who is inconsolable when her doll's head comes off and cannot be fixed. We comfort the toddler and know she will be okay and move on. Similarly, God oversees the events that happen to us and comforts us when we ask for comfort, but he knows that in the grand scheme of things, our time here is very short and we will all be reunited again, and that our love for our loved ones is strong and cannot be broken. So consider a scenario in which we each have chosen our situations, obstacles, and unfortunate events as ways for us each to grow and learn. Having a loved one with cancer may provide an opportunity for a family member to become a caregiver and learn compassion, when they might not have otherwise. Imagine the possibilities. It is fascinating that in so many near-death experiences from all over the world, this simple concept is quite commonly described.

July 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • Mike

God does what he wants and we don't always understand His reasoning. I have seen HIs miracles first hand and KNOW that He is there and listening.

July 25, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

Also Mike done some acid in his time, maybe.

July 25, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • Cq

Or, it could be a naturally-occuring process that happens in a dying human brain. Why reach for a supernatural explanation when we know how drugs and trauma so easily affect our minds?

July 26, 2012 at 12:43 am |
  13. Mickey1313

God was watching with a co ke and some popcorn, he loves a brutal act of violence

July 25, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  14. Colin

Of course, if this event happened in India, there would be a blog like this ruminating about the role of the gods Shiva or Vishnu in the tragedy. That's what you Bible-cuddlers have to realize. Your own particular sky-vapor is no more universal than the language you speak.

Far from creating the entire planet, the Christian sky-fairy doesn't even have majority support.

July 25, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • indogwetrust

Sky fairy bless you.

July 25, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • indogwetrust

One day you too will kneel before the grace of Sky Fairy.

July 25, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • indogwetrust

In Sky Fairy we trust.

July 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • indogwetrust

One nation under Sky Fairy.

July 25, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • good without god

May you be touched by the Sky Fairy >_>

July 25, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • ..

The flying spaghetti monster is the only true god

May his noodly appendage be with you

One of the pirate priests will be blessing you

July 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

Sky Fairy keep yo hands off my ass.

July 25, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • TrueBlueCatholic

Anonymous one who posted about the 'flying spagetti monster'

There is a special hell for those who mock God. This so-called satire really irks me.

July 25, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

Hey true blue.

Guess what baby, you mock your god all the time with your nonsense. Special hell? Shame on you man.

July 25, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

Flying spaghetti monster closer to jesus than catholics are, lately.

July 25, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • QueensU

I believe there's a special kind of hell for losers full of hate who use the screen name true blue catholic...does that "irk" you?

July 26, 2012 at 12:57 am |
  15. Rob

Where was God in that horrible event? Right there ready to take those immortal souls into eternity, and comfort their families, God is no religion, Jesus Christ didn't start a religion, He started His church, which is every human being that believes and trusts in Him. Some can say that He's a myth, an imagination and anything that they can come up with, but that doesn't stop God from being God and existing.He loves every human being on this sinful world, thats the whole reason why He sent His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ to die a horrible death. If Jesus Christ had not been sent, our destiny would be hell. Yes God is loving, merciful, full of grace, however He is also HOLY, and will not allow sin in His presence we are all sinners and lost. Thats why He sent His Son to die for our sins, Jesus Christ took our punishment upon Himself so that we could be forgiven. By His blood our sins are washed away. He has given us free will so its our decision to believe in Him or not, He came to undo the devil's evil actions, which is to hold us in the chains of sin. Its our decision to choose which path of path to take, the path of salvation that leads to eternal life or the path that leads to eternal punishment. Whether we choose to believe in God's existance or not, we shall all surely have to face Him on the day of judgment and answer to HIm for our actions.

July 25, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Observer

"He loves every human being on this sinful world"
      "God is loving"

58 wounded.
      12 dead, as young as 6-years-old.

July 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Shiva Lion

Hello,
      I would like to mention that your boyfriend/girlfriend klovis is not God. That day one of his worshippers went in to that theater and shot some of his other worshippers. I had nothing to do with it. I personally take offense when persons who claim to worship me use my person and that of klovis' interchangeably. As a matter of fact, I really don't care for it when any of you are so flippant as to walk around and even think you are me, let alone when you do those things that you do while thinking that you are me. Anyway, have a nice day. 148?

July 25, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Rob

" Whether we choose to (believe) in God's existance or not, we shall all surely have to face Him on the day of judgment and answer to HIm for our (actions). "

Is it our *actions* or *beliefs* or both...? Classic... 'believe' or 'burn' argument.

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • Colin

Peace2all – it's good to have you back, partner.

July 25, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • indogwetrust

Sky Fairy is love.

July 25, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Colin

Thanks bro !!! It's good to be back.

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • Hambone Jones

Rob
      Why do you assume that all of the victims were good enough people to get into heaven, "saved", or whatever? Just because they were the victims of an evil act doesn't mean that they were automatically "good" people. They weren't martyrs to some Christian cause; they were there to watch a Batman movie.

For a faith that stresses that God is too alien and mysterious to comprehend a lot of you sure do presume to KNOW exactly what he would do. Amazing!

July 26, 2012 at 12:51 am |
    • Ruben

I like the way chistians tell us that we have to answer to God when we die. Wow that is something to look forward to. They really build him up to be a really loving god. Just like a great and carign father. But if you didn't kiss his ass and pay the church you will smoke a turd for eternity. That is just Great. Talk about the punishment not fitting the crime. God is so terrific that you will suffer for eternity if you don't follow his directions as they are given to you by the English speaking people 2000 thousand years after his word was supposedly written in some other freaky language that scholars admit is almost impossible to interpret into a correct English translation.

July 26, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • Rob

@observer, yes God is loving, or else His Son Jesus Christ would not have been sent, it states it in the bible, the one book so many call just a fairy tale, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him will not perish, but have everlasting life". Death entered this world when the first man created sinned against God by disobeying just one instruction, eating the forbidden fruit. From there on, death will come to us all, in different ways. @peace2all, its both, however I will not try to explain, you pretty much know that. @indogwetrust, keep on callling God a sky fairy, He still loves you, hopefully one day you do come to know Him. @hambone jones, I don't presume to know what God thinks or does, nobody can, only He can, He knows our thoughts evert single one of them. I don't really know if those people killed went to heaven or not, I hope and pray that they did, however only God knows.@ruben, Whether you believe that God is loving or not, its your choice, if you don't want to believe and follow God, that's your choice too, God already gave us a way to be saved from hell and go to heaven, the death of His Son Jesus at the cross , 2000 years ago. God doesn't send anyone to hell, our actions and unbelief do. We can live our lives as we please, however our souls are not saved if we die in our sin. God bless you all even the ones who don't believe He exists and the ones who mock Him.

July 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  16. Dude65

Forget about where he was during the Aurora massacre.... where was was he/she/it the last 4.5 billion years before the massacre? Where was she/he/it during the millions of years of dinosaurs?

I'll tell you where. Not made up yet by dimwitted humans that need a diety to worship to explain their existence.

Please. Stop and think for a minute.

July 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Adam

I can't believe people are explaining this with "God did not want to deny man his free will." Whenever something great happens, such as, ironically, the Aurora Borealis and the Aurora Australis, Christians are quick to credit God utterly and completely. But as soon as something tragic happens, Christians say it was just humans exercising their God-given free will, not God, that was the cause.

July 25, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Karen

The reason evil things happen in this world is due to original sin. When Adam and Eve decided to eat from the tree of life is when they became sinful. God doesn't bring up disasters and massacres, these are only the making of the Devil. Free will is right, we do have free will to believe what we want. All I know is God gave His only Son to die on a cross for OUR sins, whoever believes in Him will have Eternal Life. Sounds heavenly.........

July 25, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Alpa Chino

Aw shit Karen not the apples again.

July 25, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Observer

Karen,

Who created Satan?

Ooops.

July 25, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • Hambone Jones

For all we know Jesus could have come to the dinosaurs (as one, presumably) and many were raptured before the meteor destroyed the wicked rest. Of course, they probably had to wait a few million years for him to return, while still insisting he'll be back "any day now", like this crop of believers seem destined to do ...

July 26, 2012 at 12:56 am |
  17. Floyd Luckow

Tragedy rains on the just and unjust. There is no repect of persons. So God was right there just as he always was and will be.

July 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Observer

So God was there and ignored it all as always. Nice guy.

July 25, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Ruben

Yeah that's just great. That is exactly the way I act with my kids. If one of them is going to do something stupid I just let them do it so that they either get hurt and learn a lesson or kill one of my other kids to teach the survivors a leason. That's the way God does it so it should work for everybody, right? Hell no, I stop them from doing whatever they want to and I teach them respect and love and I protect them if they are going to cause harm or be harmed. If God is so powerful and awesome how to humans do a better job at protecting their children than a bs deity?

July 26, 2012 at 1:27 am |
  18. Jennifer

I believe in God and science. The thing is, we call God many different names: Yaweh, Allah, Jesus, Buddha, the Universe, the Force...

Chew on this: it is a statistical fact that a tornado has a better chance of ripping thru a junkyard and assembling a working 747 jet than for man to have evolved from a single celled organism without the help of SOME kind of creator. (Each is over 1 billion to one odds, though.) I believe in evolution, I just think it was given a bit of guidance.

As far as I'm concerned – the shooter from Aurora missed something in that evolutionary process. He deserves to meet whichever one he calls 'God' and explain himself to them.

July 25, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

So because it has a low chance of happening, therefore your god? So what exactly is the cutoff point (statistically) for it to "require" external intervention?

July 25, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Jennifer

Hi -Jennifer...

And there are literally 'Trillions' of planets in the whole Universe, by best guesstimates. So, your billion to one odds...what of it ?

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Oops

@Peace

You're too kind.

July 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • ArthurP

Except that man is already creating self replicating and evolving proteins in the lab from first principles. Not only that but the fundamental principles of chemistry are consistent for the generation of small and simple molecules to large and complex ones.

There is not such thing as a 'Genesis Threshold' in chemistry.

And your building an aircraft analogy is fundamentally flawed as is your billion to 1 statistic.

July 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • sarah

Your comparison is seriously flawed. I know it seems "impossible" but once you get into the mechanics of evolution, you can see that the possibilities are nearly endless. Something that can copy itself a trillion times with the slightest of mutations making one more likely to squeeze out all the others, reproducing itself and starting the process all over again with billions of years on it's side is not only possible but it's also a likely outcome that something more complex will emerge if the process is allowed to go on unhindered. I think the more interesting question is why does anything exist at all?

July 25, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • Peace2All

@ArthurP & @sarah

Excellent.

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • Hambone Jones

What kind of tornado ripped through and assembled God then? By your logic, he would need a creator too, and that creator would need one, and that one would need one, and on and on ... Face it, the only answer that makes any sense is that things started small and simple, then went on to large and complex. Arguing that the very most complex, intelligent thing imaginable always existed is just ridiculous.

July 26, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • TrueBlueCatholic

Hambone, dont try to apply logic. That only works in the physical realm. The metaphysical realm operates by different principles and is beyond the grasp of such simple principles.

July 26, 2012 at 6:33 am |
    • I wonder

TrueBlueCatholic,
      "The metaphysical realm operates by different principles and is beyond the grasp of such simple principles."

Then how can you possibly say that you know a dang thing about it?

July 27, 2012 at 3:30 am |
  19. sonny

@hawaiiguest
    I'm sorry, in order for you to insult me, I must first value your opinion. nice try though

July 25, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Yes continue on troll.

July 25, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Jeremy

Sounds like a bunch of Divine BS

July 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214
About this blog