home
RSS
Where was God in Aurora massacre?
Twelve crosses comprise a makeshift memorial near the Aurora, Colorado, movie theater, scene of last week’s mass shooting
July 24th, 2012

Where was God in Aurora massacre?

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Where was God in Aurora?

It’s a fresh take on an age-old question: Why does God allow suffering, natural disasters or - if you believe in it - evil?

We put the question to Twitter on Tuesday and got some starkly different responses.

“In short, God was in complete control, exercising His will,” wrote @PastorRileyF, who leads a church in Bethune, Colorado.

That riled @TheTrivia Jockey, who tweeted, “If that was God's will, God is definitely not deserving of my worship.”

Watch: Survivor of massacre says he forgives gunman

@trentpayne also took issue with the Colorado pastor: "I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Pastor. God gives free will to man, but it wasn't his will that they die."

The back-and-forth provoked other believers to chime in on the theological issue of God’s sovereignty vs. human free will, with many Christians seeking to explain how a sovereign God could preside over seemingly senseless bloodshed.

“It is not God's will or want that people died in Aurora,” wrote @GospelBluesman 20m. "God allowed man's inhumanity to man, rather than intervene.”

The conversation and debate continued in the comments section of this post, with some insinuating that the massacre might be a kind of divine punishment, or at lease divine neglect:

Lenny
We as a country have been telling God to go away. We told him to get off our currency, get out of our schools, get out of our Pledge of Allegiance, take your Ten Commandments out of our courthouses, get those Bibles out of hotels and no graduation ceremonies in our churches. How can we expect God to give us his blessing and his protection if we demand that he leave us alone?

Jesse R
Liberals have made it impossible for God to be anywhere during the upbringing of a child. Can't have any religious connotations in schools, libraries, government offices, etc., etc. Young men (and women) are growing up with no real sense of right and wrong. ... We no longer have the right of religion, but rather the right from religion. Parents no longer have the ability to discipline their children. We are always looking for the excuses ... violent video games and movies, bad teachers and schools ... when we should be looking in the mirror. We as a society are the reasons these massacres happen. We have allowed our children to become social misfits that lead to the kind of carnage we have seen on several occasions since religion and God disappeared from what the Founding Fathers once said was a necessity of a successful democracy ... faith.

Lots of readers used religious takes on the shooting to challenge the whole idea of God:

Who invited me?
How do you know the people that were killed didn't go to hell?, and how exactly does any of this show there is a reason? Reason is obviously something that you have replaced with belief, and you threw out logic with it.

Kyle
"God doesn't exist, so he wasn't anywhere. Get over it. A man was evil, and he was evil because he was crazy.

Plenty of others said the shooting was the devil's work:

Harleyxx
Evil things like this happen because Satan is the god of this world ... for the time being. God will undo all the damage caused by Satan's rebellion and man's disobedience when the time is right. In the meantime we all experience trials and tribulation due to living in an ungodly world. That is why Jesus taught his followers the Lord's Prayer ... 'to pray for God's kingdom to come.'

What’s your take? Where was God in the Aurora massacre? Or do you feel that such tragedies are evidence for a godless universe?

Let us know in comments, and we’ll highlight the best ones.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: God • Violence

soundoff (10,690 Responses)
  1. mst

God exists and he is omnipotent, all powerful and all knowing. He knows the past and the future. He controls natural events like tornadoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis. He is also the creator of malaria, cancer, inborn diseases, bacteria, viruses, etc. Since he is God, he knows that someone someday will go around and start shooting and killing people. Thus, he can easily prevent the tragedy by striking the inborn murderer with a deadly disease or by giving a lighting bolt at the killer's apartment, which would have exploded and killed him instantly. Instead he chose not to, preferring to save one of the victims years before the tragedy and not do anything for the rest.

By failing to prevent a tragedy, he acts as an indifferent observer, whose only goal is to "test" people. What kind of test is that? A faith or goodness test? Is he a sadist who only wants to watch his creation die? He is able to prevent harm (since he created this world, a thing like this would be easy for him to accomplish), but he is not willing to do anything. Why didn't he save the innocent 6 year old? She didn't get a chance to show her faith or do any good deeds. He could have saved her by the ways other people got saved miraculously.

Lets not forget that when religions were invented, the majority of the population were illiterate, uneducated and gullible. People died at a very young age of mysterious diseases and of strange causes. Life was hard and uncertain. The risk of losing someone was high and the suffering was much more common than it is now. Then a charismatic leader comes along who claims that he has the solution to all the world's problems. The solution could not be easier or any more simple. GOD. Only 3 letters and the whole mystery of life and existence is solved. The solution to misery is to follow him and do as he demands. The reward is very comforting: eternal existence in a place removed from suffering, disease, and hunger. Who could refuse such a message of hope and happiness? Few would. The choice is either living in uncertainty, fear, and sadness or with certainty, optimism, and a hope for near after-life.
    So it's no wonder that so many people choose to believe in God. Who doesn't want to live forever or see their loved ones again?

July 25, 2012 at 1:29 am |
    • tallulah13

Apparently god can do everything but prove he exists. Or cross oceans. He did have to wait 1500 years for humans with navigation skills to build sea-worthy ships and take him to the New World.

July 25, 2012 at 1:36 am |
    • AJD13

If he knows the past and the future, why did he even bother to create the garden of eden and put that tree of magic fruit in it if he knew that the serpent was going to get in there and just screw it all up anyway? Why didn't he foresee that man was going to become so evil that he was going to have to destroy them in a terrible flood? And if that was going to happen, why did he even bother to create man in the first place? LOL

July 25, 2012 at 1:37 am |
    • god

Well I will say one thing your thinking to much. People will understand in there own time. Like I said string theroy muliple planes of existance and what you do in this one will determine were you go in the next one heaven and hell are only two possibilities in the grand schem and is all the simple mind can handle. If I showed up now more then in this blog kais would follow . Great job with Get Smart he he get it. Get smart!

July 25, 2012 at 2:16 am |
    • AJD13

I would think that "god" would know how to spell "chaos" lol

July 25, 2012 at 2:21 am |
    • God

Kaos

July 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  2. Phil in Wisconsin

I saw the answer on, of all places, CBS evening news. Isn't it funny how we rush into such questions without saying what God is, as though we all simply know we're talking about the same thing? Anyway, a girl who looked about 20 was being interviewed, who had been saved by her friend who had shielded her with his body. He was killed. She said: "How can I give my life back to someone who's given his life for me? How do I do that?" I wish everyone could have seen her face. She wasn't crying. How to describe it? The only way I can describe it is that she seemed seared by a terrible grace. So here's what I think, and I wish I were as humble as this opinion deserves. If you seek the divine in this horror, it is that which has seared that young woman with such a terrible grace. My humility dissolves in anger at anyone who would trivialize her experience as merely survivor's guilt, or anyone so arrogant as to ascribe her experience solely to blind chance. Now I know from experience with such comment sections that many will read what they want into what I've written, and not what I'm actually saying, I who know nothing about the God who so many seem to know so much about. All I know is that that young woman has been seared by a divine fire. I would not presume, nor should anyone else, to tell her how she should do what she knows, knows she must do. I only know that when I saw her face, I saw the best answer as to where was God in Aurora.

July 25, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • tallulah13

The grace she received was from the friend that died to save her, not god. Please remember that, and give credit where it is due.

July 25, 2012 at 1:27 am |
    • Peace2All

@Phil in Wisconsin

Hi -Phil...

" I who know *nothing* about the God who so many seem to know so much about. All I *know* is that that young woman has been seared by a divine fire. "

So, you *know* *nothing* about your God, but... you seem to *know* that this young woman "has been seared by a divine fire."

Interesting juxtaposition of your a-s-sumptions, and interesting metaphor ("seared by a divine fire").

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • AJD13

I don't believe in god but I would sacrifice myself to save a loved one or a dear friend as well. As the other poster said, please give credit to the person that gave everything they could give to save that life.

July 25, 2012 at 1:45 am |
  3. pastapharian

Wow! The number of people who believe in magic sky fairies and dead Jewish zombies is alarming. More proof our education system needs to step up. We are becoming a nation of complete idiots. Religion is for the weak of mind.

July 25, 2012 at 1:23 am |
    • Ms Galaxy

Crazy, isn't it? And frightening, very frightening. I'll keep my FSM, thank you very much. Ramen!

July 25, 2012 at 4:21 am |
  4. Jake

In my opinion, God is always there, and always watching. Just as we are deeply saddened and disturbed by the massacre in Aurora, so is he. I find it interesting that as a society, we don't sing praises to God for all the things that go right or give him glory, yet we will immediately blame him for the evil that manifests itself in his absence. Where is the logic in that? If we continue to shut God out of our lives, how can we look up and say "where were you on that one?" when things go wrong? God is loving, and always there to see us through the difficult times that will most assuredly happen in this life. There is never going to be a world without hate, violence, murder, evil... but God is there to strengthen us and see us through those times of difficulty. God is love. We always have the choice to accept or reject that love. That's the beauty of it all.

July 25, 2012 at 1:17 am |
    • tonyl9973

wow an apathy god ... this is new to me.

July 25, 2012 at 1:20 am |
    • Peace2All

@Jake

Hi -Jake...

" I find it interesting that as a society, we don't sing praises to God for all the things that go right or give him glory, yet we will immediately blame him for the evil that manifests itself in his absence."

So... when anything you label as 'right' or 'good' happens, then it's all to God and we should glorify him, but... when the tragedies happen, then... not a word to God is appropriate ??

Hmmm...

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 1:25 am |
    • Ms Galaxy

@Jake: Some of us don't blame him. One can't blame something that doesn't exist. Instead, we realize that human nature, random nature, love, chaos, fear, and the myriad of human experiences just happen. No plan, no god's will, nobody in charge. We're all just in this human experience for several decades, if we're lucky, and then we're done. And I'm fine with that. It makes living life to the best of our abilities that much more precious.

July 25, 2012 at 4:26 am |
  5. tonyl9973

I sure have not seen a 2000 years old man amongst the people have you?

July 25, 2012 at 1:14 am |
  6. AJD13

I always love the stories about how god intervened and miraculously saved this or that person in some way because they prayed...but ignore the fact that in something like a massacre or a plane crash or whatever, there were probably quite a few other people also praying to be saved that weren't......but of course that was god's plan, right?

July 25, 2012 at 1:13 am |
    • k kim

So...you want God to save everyone from ever being killed and rid this world of evil? Is that your problem with God?

July 25, 2012 at 1:17 am |
    • AJD13

Um....when did I say that? My point is that you can't have it both ways. You can't say that "prayer works" and give credit to god for saving this person over here while these other people who also prayed and were also just as human and maybe even "better" people over there died...but that's what religious people do....they'll turn all their attention on this one person who says that god saved them because they prayed but ignore all these other people that also prayed and weren't saved.

July 25, 2012 at 1:21 am |
    • k kim

You are right in saying that religious people do that; and often they are indeed hypocrites. In fact, you are smart not to believe in anything a man or woman says at face value. But I hope, just once, that you would earnestly seek God through prayer and ask Him to reveal Himself to you. I don't think you will find God by trying to figure out the mystery of pre-destiny and free will and God's sovereign will through logic or rationale but try to humble yourself by admitting that you just do not know.

July 25, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • AJD13

Actually, I'm an agnostic....which means "I don't know" lol....I don't claim to know for 100% certain that there isn't anything out there that could be called a "god" but personally I believe it to be extremely unlikely and that if there is one, it isn't anything like what man has created in their mind that "god" is. This god that man has come up with in various forms has had thousands of opportunities in my life to reveal himself to me (even back when I was a believer, I was brought up Christian) and has never done so....even when I asked both in times of great need and times when I was not. I have to go off the preponderance of the evidence and logic that the god you speak of does not exist. I have seen zero evidence in my 36 years....zero....I have seen and experienced nothing that can't be explained by "normal", natural means. I just live my life trying my best to treat others the way that I'd like to be treated and keep it simple.

July 25, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • k kim

I would not use the term evidence or proof but I can share here one light moment when God interacted with me personally. God convinced me (through indescribable fear but not fear of death or illness from smoking) to quit smoking and helped me to quit instantly (I was on my way out of the office to smoke outside) and without any withdrawal symptoms. The thing is I had no desire to quit smoking and had enjoyed smoking at least 1 pack a day (marlboro reds, then medium, then 27s) on avg for 20+ years without any discernible adverse health effect. I enjoyed smoking (taste, smell, oral fixation, stress relief,...) so much that I had a cigarette the night I met Jesus Christ personally. I know that I had no desire to quit smoking and it wasn't anything emotional or psychological about it. I had already believed in God before that but experience gave me something tangible to turn to when my faith is tsted.

July 25, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • k kim

I went to church with my parents in my youth but I don't think I really believed or did not really know what i believed until after I turned 40. I was the only one in these retreats and camps that did not shed a tear or any emotion while everyone else was bawling and breaking down.

July 25, 2012 at 2:16 am |
  7. virginia

his gun jamed and the apartment didnt blow up, what do you all mean where was God? he oviously did had merce on you all, or heard someone's prayers to keep most of you save....cause the Anger and agression damages plan by holmes had being much greater...I really do think God didn't really thought all of you needed a lesson, so the damages were minor compare to what could have being had all gone according to plan....so God was there in that theater looking out for the most of you the others had to be part of a greater plan...hopefuly they had God in their heart ...cause that is the deal...while one is alive, God must be accepted to have ever lasting life in heaven...it won't hurt for those still here to pray for their souls and mercy by our God, so they too can find their way to heaven as every one else who keeps God in their hearts...

July 25, 2012 at 1:13 am |
    • gagal

So, are you saying that only nonbelievers died and that all of his neighbors are believers and were therefore spared? Are you saying that my life was spared- not because I wasn't at the movies that night, but because I'm a believer?

Trying to make sense of what you are saying.

July 25, 2012 at 1:17 am |
    • tallulah13

Your divine intervention sounds an awful lot like mechanical failure, considering the automatic weapon used is inclined to jams. Also, the skill of the Aurora bomb-squad prevented any fatal explosions. Stop crediting god for the work of humans.

July 25, 2012 at 1:25 am |
  8. shawbrooke

I believe that God does not interfere in free will even when people get hurt. God's plan is that humans would only experience love and peace and happiness, but humans would rather do things their own way. God's plan for the world is carried out in the broad brush strokes and is not deterred by what happens by humans exercising free will. God's plan for us is not carried out because some humans use their free will choice to walk a different path and because all people fail to follow God sometimes. His genius and power are shown when he responds to prayer and strengthens human beings to escape or cope or blossom.

Every evangelical will be most unhappy with those words, but tough. They are always unhappy anyway. I think that God was saddened by Aurora, and He is there suffering with the afflicted, one of the messages of the cross.

July 25, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • Joe

So you get your cake and eat too. God can only be held accountable for the good things people do not the bad. i am sorry i just do not get this logic.

July 25, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • tallulah13

Meanwhile, people who are not afraid to face the reality that there is no practical reason to believe in any god can cope and blossom without a supernatural crutch.

July 25, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • Peace2All

@shawbrooke

Hi -shawbrooke...

Your whole posting basically says that God doesn't interfere in peoples lives, their free will, etc...

Then you say: " His genius and power are shown when (*he responds*) to 'prayer' etc..."

So... God does or does not interfere ?

Because if 'he' responds to 'prayer' then, placating and supplicating to God, works to get help from him, sometimes ?

In other words, he will intervene into our free will ?

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 1:10 am |
    • Mitchell Moore

Evangelicals always give God an "out". He's there for comfort and "hears" our prayers, but has his back turned when tragedy happens. Great.

July 25, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • tonyl9973

Shawbrooke,

I hope your are not attempting to represent god in anyway if actually there was one.
      your emotion is giving me bad goosebumps all around i am not sure bout others.

July 25, 2012 at 1:18 am |
  9. Mark

My belief after Life Support

God the Holy Father is Our Divine Creator
    God the Holy Father & the Holy Son & the Holy Spirit
    Is All Loving, Merciful & Compassionate
    It is not God’s plan for man to bring harm to another man
    Nor it is God’s plan for nation to bring harm to another nation
    What is happening in the World is not God’s Loving Plan for us
    Our Loving Father has another plan for us
    I know some things but I do not know All Things

However, being on life support, I know that God loves each one of us.
    And, I hope that each one of us will acknowledge God’s love for his Children that he has Created. For you must know that you have questions because you know that you were Created by a Divine Creator.
    Some day, on that One day, you will see that Light that is from your Divine Creator.

And, you will know what it is like to feel Love in it’s Truest form & you will know Peace in its Truest form and all your questions will go away and you will have the answers you seek and the Comfort that you long for and you will feel no more pain & no more sadness. God’s love & light is so beautiful.

Yes, His Holy Son had to come to the Earth and on this Earth he was crucified. Christ came, not to condemn us but to save us with his message of love, peace and the Spirit that is the Holy Spirit from Our Holy Father.

For that which is impure cannot be in the presence of that which is Holiness & Pure and the Holy Light of God our Father.
    We are born into a world that is impure and that was not the Holy Father’s Original Plan when he created us. God’s plan is Life, to Create Life & for Life to be Life Abundantly.

I love all my brothers & sisters that are mankind and we should love each other and love our Creator.

July 25, 2012 at 12:58 am |
    • Mitchell Moore

What the hell are you talking about? If God has a "plan" for us, he certainly isn't laying it out. I'll stick to my own plans for my life.

July 25, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • steven harnack

Hopefully in the future man will be enlightened enough to recognize something like what you wrote as the sign of a damaged mind, quite capable of any and all extremes of behavior.

July 25, 2012 at 1:26 am |
    • Peace2All

@Mark

If I'm understanding you correctly... you are on literal "life support" ?

It sounds like you have made peace with your belief systems, and I hope that... should there be an after-life, you will find some kind of peace there as well.

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 1:28 am |
  10. shawbrooke

July 25, 2012 at 12:58 am |
    • Peace2All

@shawbrooke

Hi -shawbrooke...

So... God does or doesn't interfere ?

In other words, he will intervene into our free will ?

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • Cq

"Miracles" too. Isn't that supposedly God interfering? You can't have him just watching and pulling certain strings like a miracle here, a "sign" there, and so forth. Unless, that is, God doesn't want everyone to know that he exists, in which case it'd be pretty sadistic of him to punish us for that, wouldn't it?

July 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  11. AJD13

The belief in a god is like children believing in Santa Claus and not wanting to let it go even though the evidence is all around them that he doesn't exist. I remember as a child learning that Santa wasn't real and though I accepted it, it did feel like I had "lost" something for a short time. I think that's one of the fears that religious people have even in the face of so much evidence that there is no god...that fear of feeling that "loss." I remember when I first started to suspect Santa wasn't real the year before my parents coming up with this or that explanation for the logical questions I had as to his existence...it's the same thing that people do when they are confronted with something that causes them to question the existence of a deity...they have to come up with some explanation for why this or that thing happened that you'd think an all knowing, all loving god with some kind of plan would never allow to happen to his "children" that he supposedly loves or to explain how god can still exist despite this or that scientific discovery. People are also afraid that if everyone gave up their belief in religion/god, that everyone would go wild doing whatever they want with no thought of anyone else...well, despite the fact that that is happening anyway despite religion's existence, nothing would really change. People who are humane and good would remain humane and good and people and raise their children to be that way even without the belief in a "Santa Claus god" supposedly watching all they do and those who are selfish or "evil" would be that way with or without religion.

July 25, 2012 at 12:57 am |
  12. truegrit1

God is interested in our Soul.
    He will not try to prevent the testing of our Faith.
    It is a Faith that is tested and that remains true that pleases God.

July 25, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • tallulah13

Or perhaps god is indifferent because god doesn't exist.

July 25, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • GodFreeNow

Faith is pretending to know things you don't know.

July 25, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • AJD13

I have three children. I love them with all my heart. I would never do anything or allow anything horrible to happen to them if I could possibly help it merely to "test" their "faith" in me or their love for me.

July 25, 2012 at 1:17 am |
  13. Chris

God's greatest gift to Man is his ability to choose. Cain slayed Abel. Adam and Eve chose to eat the forbidden fruit. In the new Testament there are countless stories of betrayel, war, and murder in which God has for whatever reason, chosen not to have His divinity intervene. In an extreme case like this, Mr. Holmes still exercised his God given right to choose. We as a society have our right to respond; in a civil society where laws dictate consequences, we still have this freedom to choose. This is God's greatest gift to man, which ultimately is also a curse. God lives through us, and we must acknowledge this if we choose to move forward with compassion and care. Just because God did not intervene, does not mean God is not watching. The issue in this case is not where is God? But rather what was Holmes motive? If we can determine this, people who seek God may find Him.

July 25, 2012 at 12:51 am |
    • tallulah13

Or we can look for the REAL causes behind the actions of the murderer. Maybe if we did that, we could find a means to detect people with this inclination, before they harm others.

July 25, 2012 at 12:54 am |
    • Rick James

So when Tim Tebow wins a game, it was all God. But when something like this happens, it's not God's fault. Man oh man, that doesn't make sense at all.

July 25, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • AJD13

What about people who are truly mentally ill and really not able to "choose"? Didn't god make them that way? Religious people are always able to come up with an explanation for things that don't seem to make sense if god were real. If it's a good thing that happens it's because God did it...if it's a bad thing, god had nothing to do with it, it was all man's fault. It's so obviously illogical.

July 25, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • Mitchell Moore

Here we go with the "forbidden fruit" story. Why bother putting a "tree of knowledge" in a Garden of Eden if he wanted his creations to remain blissfully ignorant?! It seems like that was God's original plan for mankind - just two stupid worshippers. If this story doesn't sound like a fairy tale, I don't know what does.

July 25, 2012 at 1:21 am |

ajd13,

It is not just with the mind that you choose. Also, some believers are more inclined to believe that God has chosen us rather than us choosing God based on personal experiences and/or the Bible. Its a profound mystery. Unless God reveals himself to you in one way or another how can you or anyone else believe in God? I hope that you are open minded enough to at least hear out a believer who tries to witness Christ to you and preach the Gospel.

July 25, 2012 at 1:30 am |
    • AJD13

Yep Mitchell....and then this supposedly "all knowing" god didn't seem to be aware that the serpent was in that garden and what he planned to do and was able to thwart this supposedly all knowing, omnipotent god's plan. What's funny is that the same people that believe this story will turn around and tell someone claiming to be psychic "if you're psychic, why can't you predict the winning lottery numbers?"

July 25, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • AJD13

k Kim....I know this is going to sound "snarky" and I really don't mean it that way.....but I'm capable of thinking logically and accepting something that's obviously true even if it's not what I'd like to be true (I'd love for there to really be an a perfect, all loving god out there...but alas....it just ain't so) which makes religion (in any form) a no go for me. Sorry.

July 25, 2012 at 1:35 am |

ajd13,

God made us logical and rationale but did not make available to us all relevant and necessary knowledge/information/fact so that we will always come up with the right answer/conclusion when we apply logic. In other words, you can apply logic perfectly to answer a question but logic won't necessarily lead you to the correct answer until you have all of the relevant information. Science thought the universe was always just there and static until someone was able to observe that the universe is expanding and moving away from us giving us the Big Bang theory.

July 25, 2012 at 1:51 am |
    • AJD13

If that's true k kim, then it sounds to me like "god" just put us here to play some kind of mind games with us....we're his playthings....."hey, I'm bored....I think I'll make these things called people and put them in this situation without all the facts and knowledge they need and see what they do!" Would you ever put your children in a situation where they didn't have all the facts and tools necessary to make good, informed decisions that would give them the greatest chance of success? Probably not. If god existed he could easily have created a world where everyone was at peace and living in harmony and loved each other....why this supposedly peaceful, loving god would be tempted in any way to create a world of such chaos makes absolutely NO sense. So either god likes to play mind games with us and see what we do for some sort of sick entertainment (which would mean he/she/it is NOT an all knowing, all loving, peace loving god) or the god you believe in is not real if one exists at all.

July 25, 2012 at 2:06 am |

ajd13,

Sometimes it just takes more time than we'd like for God to reveal things to us. I personally think that science may one day prove that God exists but science would first have to discover everything that there is to discover.

July 25, 2012 at 2:29 am |
    • AJD13

The problem with science "proving" that there is a god is that there would have to be a definition of "god" that everyone agreed on for science to be able to prove it. Science could prove there is "something" but then there would likely be arguments that it isn't a "god" or "THE" god. And by many people's idea of god, god would not ALLOW science to prove his existence unless he wanted it to be proven anyway....which he could do without science if he existed. I think it's much more likely for science to eventually be able to find a way to disprove the possibility of the existence of god than to prove that there is one.

July 25, 2012 at 2:50 am |
    • AJD13

Which still does not answer the question of if god is really this all knowing, all loving, all powerful, only interested in peace and love type being.....why would he have had any inclination at all to create the world we live in? Would not seeing the things that go on here bring him pain? Why would he want to create a world like this if his nature is what many Christians say it is? I have no inclination if I could do it to create a world of pain and suffering and chaos and war and hate, etc etc etc and I'm a fallible human being....not a "perfect" god that is supposedly all love and peace.

July 25, 2012 at 2:53 am |

ajd13,
      Men have reasoned that God is all knowing, all loving, all powerful, only interested in peace and love type being but the Bible does not expressly uses those particular terms. I don't think we can ever comprehend by our own ability the full extent of God's nature or power. I personally think that good and evil must both exist otherwise how could we appreciate what is good if we only know good. There is support in the Bible for this view. I don't think Adam appreciated God's holiness until he sinned against God and probably didn't appreciate Eden until he was kicked out. Science says there is force and an equal and opposite force. Although there is no one like God or his equal, there is Christ and the anti-Christ. Also, did you know that darkness came first before there was light? In sum, I can't definitively answer your questions; only acknowledge the profound mystery that is God's will/plan.

July 25, 2012 at 3:13 am |
  14. Brian

It's fascinating that I can cut my finger and it fixes itself. But, there's no God. Hmm? There is none so blind as he who refuses to see.

July 25, 2012 at 12:48 am |
    • Rick James

Sponges can regenerate tissue, too. Why God would have any interest in that, I don't know.

July 25, 2012 at 12:50 am |
    • Peace2All

@Brian

Complexity and life doing what it does, doesn't infer a logical leap to... God did it.

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 12:51 am |
    • tallulah13

I find it fascinating that people still attribute natural phenomena to "god". Perhaps if you took a science class, or read a book, you would have better understanding of how your body works. But if you want to credit god, go right on ahead. I bet you are also amazed when you flip a switch and a light comes on.

July 25, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • Patty

Perhaps do a google search on how wounds heal, then it shall be a mystery no more. 😀

July 25, 2012 at 12:53 am |
    • Mitchell Moore

Wow, my finger healed itself after I cut it! It's magic! How about simple biology?

July 25, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • god

Because sponges are cool any more good questions for me? LOL

July 25, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • sam stone

what does the regeneration of skin have to do with a god?

July 25, 2012 at 4:42 am |
  15. tallulah13

"God" was nowhere to be found, because "god" hasn't shown up for anything since the bible was written. He used to pop up all the time back in ancient times, but strangely enough, he can't be bothered to show himself in this age, when science can explain the majority of the phenomena humanity used to attribute to "him".

July 25, 2012 at 12:47 am |
    • gagal

Exactly

July 25, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • god

Well I am just wasting time to see what you do with my sceince experment ? Let's talk string theroy you guys are getting close to understanding me.

July 25, 2012 at 2:01 am |
  16. Brian

People blame God when pain is experienced. People don't give it much thought when they are the one who inflicts the pain. We humans always justify our own wrong doing. We just don't want any wrong doing done to us. So, we blame God. If one really wants to know why God allows pain & suffering, one only needs to look in the mirror and ask, "Why do I inflict pain and suffering on others? Why does God allow me to hurt others?"

July 25, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • AJD13

Why would a god that is described as being so perfect and loving allow innocent people to be harmed or killed? Why would he not intercede on behalf of his "children" that he supposedly loves so much when bad people make the choice to do bad things? He saved Daniel from the lion's den supposedly....so why couldn't he save those innocent people in the movie theatre? If god is the "father" then he should be prosecuted for child abuse/neglect.

July 25, 2012 at 1:05 am |
    • gagal

What pain and suffering did the young child who died inflict on others? If only adult, non-believers who had done others wrong died, your argument would make more sense.

July 25, 2012 at 1:12 am |
  17. Senile Dementia

Jesus was a Communist – "give up your personal property for the common good, take only what you need..." except that his inspiration came from "god" instead of Karl Marx.

July 25, 2012 at 12:42 am |
  18. Senile Dementia

Christianity is a sort of religious Communism!

July 25, 2012 at 12:38 am |
  19. k kim

Which is greater 1+infinity or 100+infinity?
    What then is the difference between living a year and dying and living until you are 100 in relation to eternity? The tragedy is not death of the body but condemnation of the soul for all eternity.

July 25, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Cq

And how do you know that there is a soul to exist for all eternity? Because somebody wrote about it in a book? Seriously?

July 25, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Peace2All

@k kim

Hi -k kim...

This is a common 'belief' of 'believers' I see here that make this same post, more or less.

When I see it, I invariably become baffled at the seemingly inferred indifference or ambivalence to this current life that you are living.

The rest of "infinity" etc... is all unverified speculation at best.

And... 'even if' there is a life after death, you all 'as-sume, without question that it is the way you think it is or the christian narrative.

The 'believe' or 'burn' mentality is truly baffling.

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 12:47 am |

Cq,

You are missing the point. I am trying to show one possible perspective of God using the universal language of math.
      I may be dumb but I hope I am not stupid enough to try to prove to you what I believe by faith.

July 25, 2012 at 12:54 am |

Peace2All,

Why do you presume that I am indifferent to this life? If anything, it was my life before I realized the truth of Christ that could be described as indifferent. I like living for Christ; though it can be hard.

July 25, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • Peace2All

@k kim

Hi -k kim...

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems that you just validated my point by talking about your life before Jesus as being indifferent, which would be your life here and now on earth, and your comment about "condemnation of the soul for all eternity."

It all implies or infers basically that... what's earthly life compared to eternal life, and especially if you don't believe and you'll burn for eternity.

All of the 'after life' stuff is unverified speculation and... even if there should be some kind of continued existence, there could be infinitely many scenarios or states of being.

Not necessarily 'your' version.

Peace...

July 25, 2012 at 1:21 am |
    • Mitchell Moore

I think if people stopped elevating themselves to being better than any other animal on this planet, we'd be better off. A dog or a cat doesn't have a soul, does it? Not according to Christians. And, they're animals. Just like us.

July 25, 2012 at 1:27 am |
    • k kim

I don't think the Bible indicates one way or the other about animals.

July 25, 2012 at 2:32 am |

Peace2All,

All I did before I met Jesus was live for myself, have fun, travel, play golf, study, graduate, make money, party, meet women, get married, have kids, etc... But I had no real purpose other than catering to my own pleasures. I did not one day have this great self-realization that I must do more but rather purely by God's Grace I came to the realization of my nature as a sinner and became convicted by God's Holy Spirit. My whole body shook with my teeth chattering uncontrollably after I felt a force physically penetrate into my heart at the time that I later learned that my wife prayed for me to receive the Holy Spirit. I was home and my wife was at a prayer meeting in her friend's house.

July 25, 2012 at 2:45 am |
  20. ArthurP

Genesis For The Modern Age

1. In the beginning there was only God and he alone created the void that was the Universe. Then into the void that was the Universe God placed a infinitesimal part of his being. And the void being with out substance was unable to contain this essence of God and so it expanded at a terrible speed releasing unimaginable energies.
    2. Where upon God created the four fundamental forces toe contain these energies. The Strong Nuclear Force, the Weak Nuclear Force, the Gravitational Force and the Electromagnetic Force.
    3. And with the establishment of these controlling forces expansion of the Universe slowed and the great energies cooled the first elementary partials were formed.
    4. And from these partials the first atoms were formed. The initial one having a single proton and electron and God looked down and said let this be called Hydrogen.
    5. Then when all the Universe was Hydrogen the Fundamental Force of Gravity caused groups of these atoms to come together in ever larger masses.
    6. Where upon when the masses became so large and the Force of Gravity so strong that they started to smash the atoms of Hydrogen together creating new atoms and releasing new energies that illuminated the Universe.
    7. And thus Stars were born and there was now light upon the void.
    8. Then as the forces within the stars created heavier and heavier atoms the energies generated within became great. Greater in fact than the Force of Gravity. Where upon the very Stars themselves exploded spewing the atoms out in great clouds into the void.
    9. Again the fundamental forces came into play creating new stars from the lighter atoms and Planets from the heavier ones. Starting the cycle of Star birth and death.
    10. Now it came to pass that the Planets once formed were much cooler than the Stars allowing the atoms of various types to join together according to the Fundamental forces into molecules.
    11. Some were simple such as the water that flled the seas some were complex such as the precursor proteins of life itself.
    12. etc.

July 25, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • Cq

Yes, except for all the "God" parts. Honestly, you could pop in Vishnu, Zeus, Quetzalcoatl or any other god and get the same result. Every culture dreamed up a creation story, but only science looks at what the evidence tells.

July 25, 2012 at 12:40 am |
    • Patty

But but but,,,,in the bible god created light before he created the source of the light. He is truly mysterious....and not as bright as you make him out to be.

July 25, 2012 at 12:45 am |

Patty,

Are you referring to the sun when you say the source of light? If not, please tell us what you are talking about when you say "the source of light".

July 25, 2012 at 1:11 am |
    • Nick

@Patty you realize that light was created first and then matter, right? Physics accepts this which is also in accordance with the modern cosmological theories; they all agree that space began as an electromagnetic radiation, light, that passed on to the stage of matter through the well-known phenomenon of pair production.

July 25, 2012 at 2:45 am |
    • ArthurP

Nick

Except of course God created mass first.

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
      2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Then the light.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

So stop cherry picking facts to bolster your position.

July 25, 2012 at 8:26 am |
    • Nick

@Arthur, my point is people make comments on both religion and science when they understand neither.

The purpose of Genesis is to proclaim that the world was created by God, and not to describe how it was created. That's the problem with everyone interpreting the Bible (and science for that matter) as they please instead of turning to commentaries from the saints who lived and breathed the faith instead of just preaching it.

July 25, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214
About this blog