home
RSS
Evangelist Billy Graham defends Chick-fil-A
July 26th, 2012

Evangelist Billy Graham defends Chick-fil-A

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN)– Billy Graham, the dean of American evangelists, has once again broken his usual silence on hot-button issues, defending the president of the Chick-fil-A restaurant chain for his opposition to same-sex marriage days after issuing a letter decrying what he sees as the nation's moral decay.

Earlier this year, the ailing preacher publicly endorsed a proposed constitutional amendment to ban gay unions in North Carolina, raising eyebrows among many who'd watched Graham studiously avoid thorny social issues for years.

On Thursday, he issued a statement of support for the popular fast-food chain. Many people have slammed Chick-fil-A President Don Cathy for saying his company backs the traditional family unit and is opposed to same-sex marriage.

Graham praised restaurant founder S. Truett Cathy and son Don Cathy, the company's president, "for their strong stand for the Christian faith."

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

"I've known their family for many years and have watched them grow Chick-fil-A into one of the best businesses in America while never compromising their values," Graham said.

The Chick-fil-A controversy reflects what many see as America's deep cultural and religious divide. The company's position on same-sex marriage doesn't sit well with Jim Henson Co., whose Jim Henson's Creature Shop toys have been served in Chick-fil-A's meals for children.

Jim Henson Co. is named for the creator of The Muppets. However, the company transferred The Muppets' rights and ownership to the Walt Disney Co. in 2003, according to Jim Henson Co.

"The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over 50 years and we have notified Chick-fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors," the company said in a posting on its Facebook page.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a 2008 GOP presidential candidate, is backing Chick-fil-A. He urged people to turn out to Chick-fil-A restaurants on Wednesday to show their support for what Cathy had to say about marriage.

Graham says he appreciated Huckabee's leadership and plans to visit a Chick-fil-A on that day, August 1.

"Each generation faces different issues and challenges, but our standard must always be measured by God's word. I appreciate the Cathy family's public support for God's definition of marriage."

On Tuesday, Graham leveled deep criticism at the United States. He compared the country to Sodom and Gomorrah, the Biblical cities synonymous with sin.

"Self-centered indulgence, pride, and a lack of shame over sin are now emblems of the American lifestyle," Graham writes in the open letter released by his organization this week.

He blasts what he sees as efforts to keep references to Jesus out of the public sphere.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone - except God. Yet the farther we get from God, the more the world spirals out of control," he writes in the letter released Tuesday.

Graham, 93, has preached to untold millions over six decades, and provided counsel to generations of U.S. presidents.

His open letter also contains a fund-raising appeal and a notice that Graham's son Franklin, himself a major evangelical figure, is launching a new effort to "bring the Gospel into neighborhoods and homes in every corner of America next year."

Randall Balmer, the chair of the religion department at Dartmouth College, suspects the motivation for the letter is at least partly political.

"It's hard for me to believe that this letter does not have political intent," he said.

Its move to decry what he would see as moral decay "would be tied to the Obama administration," he argued, asking rhetorically why Graham would not have issued the statement in response to an event like the Abu Ghraib torture scandal.

In response to the controversy, Larry Ross, Graham’s spokesperson, said that “the letter does not address timely issues.”

“‘My Heart Aches for America,’ was written 6-8 weeks ago – long before recent current events, such as the tragic shooting in an Aurora, Colo movie theater, or the ongoing Chik-fil-A controversy,” Ross said in an email to CNN. “He is responding to general struggles in our culture and a moral decline that has existed through his public ministry.”

At the same time, Ross said that Graham is keen on the idea of eating Chick-fil-A next Wednesday.

“Considering Mr. Graham's age and limited mobility, his statement today was more an expression of sentiment and solidarity with the Cathy family and their cause than actually a commitment to go to a Chik-fil-A himself,” Ross said. “But he does plan to ‘Eat Mor Chikin’ on Aug. 1, which I expect someone will be able to get for him to enjoy at home.”

Balmer said that evangelicals would take note of the letter, though Graham has largely retired from the public eye in recent years.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

"There is certainly admiration for Billy Graham, as there should be," Balmer said. "There is lingering respect for Billy Graham and I think that people will take notice."

But he said the comparison to Sodom and Gomorrah - which Graham attributes to his late wife Ruth in the letter - was startling.

"When Billy Graham came to Madison Square Garden in 1957, he made comments comparing New York City to Sodom and Gomorrah and was roundly criticized for it," Balmer said. Since that time, Balmer said, Graham has largely avoided making the comparison to the Biblical cities.

CNN's Joe Sterling contributed to this report.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Belief • Billy Graham • Christianity • Church and state • Food

soundoff (2,864 Responses)
  1. Everett Wallace

chick fila being closed on sundays for a religious reason was not good cause sunday is the same as friday to GOD.

July 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  2. Tim Jordan

The same guy who spewed anti-semitic comments to Richard Nixon defends a restaurant with a bigoted gay marriage stance. Why is anyone surprised? Just wish he and his son would take their nonsense somewhere else.

July 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  3. zosk

Who in their right mind would listen to this dinosaur aged ingnorant idiot Graham. At his age, I am not sure if he knows what planet he's on let alone gives advice on how we should live our lives!

July 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  4. Susan

1. Is being gay a sin?

No. Sins are acts that separate us from God and keep us from loving our neighbors as ourselves. Being gay is not a sin. Bullying is a sin. Being hateful to other people is a sin. Putting yourself in the place of God to judge others is a sin. Being gay is not.

2. What did Jesus say about gay people?

Jesus said the same thing about gay people as he said about all people: God loves you beyond your wildest imagining and calls you to walk in love with God and with each other. He also said a whole lot about loving your neighbor, welcoming the stranger, embracing the outcast and ministering to the marginalized.

3. Does the Bible really condemn homosexuality?

The short answer is no; no it does not. The handful of passages in the Old and New Testaments that talk about God condemning specific sexual acts have nothing whatsoever to do with sexual orientation and everything to do with contexts such as cultic prostitution or gang rape. To put it another way, using the Bible as a handbook on human sexuality makes as much sense as using it as a handbook on astronomy. Just as those who wrote the Biblical texts had no concept of the science that would prove the earth actually revolves around the sun, so they had no concept of homosexuality (which wasn't defined until the 19th century.)

4. How do I respond when people say "God hates "f–s"?

First of all, God's nature is to love, not to hate. We believe that what God cares about is not our sexual orientation but our theological orientation - and that the question that matters is not "who do you love?" but "do you love?" Recognizing that homophobia causes some folks to project onto God their own fears, prejudices and biases against LGBT people, sometimes the best response is simply no response. It can be a challenge, but getting triggered by hate-mongers prevents us from being the change we want to see.

5. I thought gay men and women weren't allowed to be priests?

The Episcopal Church has been ordaining women to the priesthood since 1974 and we have women deacons, priests and bishops throughout the church - including two women bishops here in the Diocese of Los Angeles. When it comes to gay men in the priesthood, the issue is not homosexuality - it is honesty. The church has ordained gay men for centuries but finally the Episcopal Church added "sexual orientation" in the non-discrimination list in 1994 - ending our version of "don't ask/don't tell." Because the Episcopal Church allows for diversity of practice, the leadership of "out" LGBT and women clergy is more prevalent in some places than others. But the Diocese of Los Angeles is proud to have been in the forefront of inclusion.

6. Can I still receive Communion in your church if I am gay?

Of course you can. In many of our churches you will hear a variation on the invitation "whoever you are and wherever you find yourself on the journey of faith there is a place for you here." God's love is radically inclusive and so is the Episcopal Church.

7. Despite what is happening legislatively, can my partner and I be married in the Episcopal Church yet?

The only accurate answer to this question is "that depends." It depends on which diocese you're in and whether you're in a state that has civil marriage equality. For example, New York State is a marriage equality state. In four of the six dioceses clergy can both solemnize and bless a civil marriage and in one of them clergy can bless but not solemnize (a judge or justice of the peace has to do the civil marriage part). Here in Los Angeles clergy both blessed and solemnized same-sex marriages in 2008 when it was legal and our bishops have been in the forefront of working to overturn Prop 8 and get marriage equality back. As Facebook might put it: "it's complicated."

8. What do I tell people when they say being gay is a sin and a choice?

Tell them that Jesus said absolutely nothing about being gay but he said a lot of things about judging other people. Then tell them that while there is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation there IS consensus that sexuality is a continuum. So the "choice" is not to be gay, straight or somewhere in between - the "choice" is to build our own healthy relationships ... and give other people the grace to build theirs.

9. Should I try to "pray away the gay?"

No. If you need to pray away something, pray away homophobia. Homosexuality doesn't need healing. Homophobia does.

10. How do I respond when politicians condemn my sexuality, citing their belief in the Bible?

Remind them that the First Amendment protects them in believing whatever they want to about what God does or does not bless but it also prohibits them from using those beliefs to decide who the Constitution protects or doesn't protect. Tell them to stop confusing their theology with our democracy. And then campaign for and donate to their opponent in the next election cycle.

July 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • Roman

Very classy and educated response. If only all christians were like you...

July 30, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Susan,
      According what you've said here, you think there is such thing as sanctified, practicing ho-mose-xual / les-bian....

No, there is no way!

You have made up God in your own image, and rejected the Spirit of Truth. You can delude yourself in satan's lie, but when you face God , you'll find out that the god you thought you worshiped, is NOT the One the Holy Spirit testifies of.
      Your explanation of the Scriptures WILL NOT stand before God of the Holy Bible, when HE sifts the intents of your heart!

July 31, 2012 at 12:16 am |
  5. rjp34652

IT ISN'T ABOUT GOD, GRAHAM, GAYS OR CHICKEN SANDWICHES. The real issue is about the liberty of a man or a company to say or assume a position it considers to be of worth and to say it out loud for everyone to hear.

Liberty doesn't belong to one group alone. Either it belongs to all or it belongs to none. When a man or a group seeks to suppress the right of another to express an opinion, all suffer loss.

Those that utter hatred or ridicule for Graham or a restaurant or anyone else who speaks against politically correct issues are on the side of tyranny far worse than anything words can convey. Once upon a time there was a country where men could speak openly for and against such things. There was respect for such words if not agreement.

But that was then and this is now. What happened to that country and its people? Computer machines now exercise censorship on CNN in violation of that liberty and one group shouts down another for no reason other than that it dislikes pretended moral issues.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

July 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • sam stone

so, ridiculing what the person sees as bigotry is a bad thing?

July 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  6. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I love Bob and always thought he was right but I could never admit it till now. He is such a caring person and against the wrongs being done to all people and the US that I am so happy in knowing that he is right on the money with his beliefs Thank God for him

July 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Bob

TOM IS RIGHT! ATHEISTS ARE RIGHT! THERE IS NO GOD!

July 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Name*Lynesh

I too must cast my doubt upon this conversation. Now that I think about what nomomopres said; it couldn't have been a real arm of God that I was leaning on. I mean, God has been gone from the earth for at least 2000 years and HORRIBLE things have been done in his name. So much evil has taken place because of how he ordered people to kill each other in the Old Testement. I really wonder if it was just the arm of an atheist that I was holding onto...perhaps I should find out more about those wise people.

July 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Stop using Bobs name to attack him, I have to restate that I am sorry for all the hurt I have caused and am in a spot in my life that I am really unhappy with my marriage and have to many hormones running through me right now to really make good judgments so I want publicly apologize to Bob and say that while I dont believe in God as yet have started to read my Bible that I bought the other day and am considering becoming a Christian. I need the hope and strength that others have found through God since all my ideas seem to be failing. Again I am sorry for all the trouble I have caused and will try to be better

July 30, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • Bob

Oops! I just got caught imitating Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son username...I was warned that if I used IT AGAIN I'd be kicked off the board. I WANT Him to be a Christian so bad sos I can marry him and Name*Lynesh too! So be careful Name...THEY KNOW your doing it to!

July 30, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Name*Lynesh

ok ....so that last post was def not me. How sad . God Bless. Any other post would not be mIne. I'm done on this forum because of the mean stuff .

July 30, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Bob

I am not using Toms name thats a terrible thing to say but Who is using mine????

July 30, 2012 at 1:07 pm |

July 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Who invited me?

I haven't been steealing anyones name. It is just one little punk who is doing it all. When you see it, report it as abuse.

July 30, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Bob

Who ever is using my name ,,,just doesn't want to admit that there is no good in being atheist and doesn't want tom to admit that the truth of life has really hit and accept Jesus as Lord. You dont want tom to admit it publicly so you try to suppress the truth shame on you.

July 30, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Who invited me?

Bob
      There is no good in holding on to myths and supers t itions that are religion.
      There is no truth of jesus christ except that the whole story is man-made.

July 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • sam stone

Bobby: free people do not need to accept jesus as lord.....only slaves do.

July 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Bob

Sammy when you start to think you will realize that we are all slaves to one thing or another even in the US we say we are free until you dont pay your taxes. If you want to move on to spiritual things then sin do you sin or do bad things? so who are you a slave to?? I also say that for myself , do you work then are you a slave to work? Money do you have money do you work to get money then you are a slave to money.

July 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • sam stone

bobby: start to think? perhaps you should extract that bible from your rectum before you comment on others' thought processes.

July 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Foolish man! if Christ Jesus has not set you free, and you are dead unto/toward God, you ARE a slave. Satan is your lord! You are dead while still alive!

July 31, 2012 at 8:11 am |
  7. And next up - Billy Graham's defense of the church who won't marry Black people

HOLY JEEBUS TOLD US NOT TO.

July 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • Bob

Nah he just wont marry gays all others are ok so dont worry. Oh maybe atheists also.

July 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • Bob

YOU CAN TELL THAT I CANT WRITE SENTENCES! ROFL!!!! BUT I'M GETTING A DIVORCE AND GOING TO MARRY MY MANY TOMMY!

July 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  8. Bob

Well, maybe it's time that I come out the closet and tell everyone that I am gay. I hate myself for living a lie all these years so I attack other gay people because it makes me feel like a bigger person.

July 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Bob

And as far as swines, I think that's the way god called them. I'm a dumb christian, so what do I know?

July 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Bob

I LOVE IT THEY HAVE TO USE MY NAME SINCE THERE ARE NO FACTS TO BACK THEM UP.

July 30, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Bob

I ALSO HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I HAVE MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES SO ALL THE FACTS ARE STRAIGHT, IM GAY AND NOT REALLY PROUD, BUT SINCE I LIVE WITH SWINES IT DOESNT MATTER HUH?

July 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Bob

Well swines would be appropriate since the sin is really the dirt that keeps you from seeing the truth and taking on another form of harassment.

July 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Bob

Tommy girl are you taking on multiple personalities again???

July 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Bob

SOS YOU ALL KNOW ONE OF MY PERSONALITIES IS TOMMY GIRL. AND SINCE I HARRASS GAY PEOPLE I THINK ITS OK IF PEOPLE HARRASS ME

July 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  9. Bob

I WOULD URGE ANYONE WHO POSTS HERE TO LIMIT THE PERSONAL INFO FOR THESE PEOPLE DONT CARE ABOUT YOU IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN AND IT WILL BECOME FODDER UNDER THEIR FEET. DONT THROW YOUR PEARLS BEFORE SWINES

July 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not only are you ignorant, Bob, but you don't seem to be very intelligent–you've already been told that "swine" is plural. No 's' should be added to it.

July 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Bob

I'm begging you to not throw your pearls before me! I WILL TRY TO EAT THEM!

July 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  10. EVEN MORE Fun with Bible Quotes

"God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death."

"Then the angel of the LORD went forth, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians a hundred and fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses."

"Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished."

"And after all this the LORD smote him in his bowels with an incurable disease."

"he Jews: Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men.... The wrath is come upon them to the uttermost."

July 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  11. Name*Lynesh

Keith….
    I actually did lose a child to cancer . After two years on that children’s oncology floor . God sustained me, comforted me, and encouraged me. He is real. And because of His provision by the death of His son, Jesus, I will see my child again . I presently am battling more overwhelming issues than can not even be imagined and again are leaning on the arm of a merciful God.

July 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • nomomopres

Name...So you are telling us that you are PHYSICALLY holding onto a GODs arm and that he is sustaining you physically (not emotionally...which cannot be proven)? I mean, wow! It's about time God showed up in person! Where are you? I'd love to meet him face to face like you have!!!

July 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • nomomopres

I am sorry I was so callous with what I said, I know God held you up and I know that He really does help all those in need thanks for posting this as a awesome testamony

July 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • nomomopres

But at the same time, I really DO want to see God face to face, and since Name has held onto his arm, I really really want to go where Name is so that I can do the same! I'm so excited!!!!! Finally God is on the earth in person and we can all see him and he's not just a MYTH anymore! Why isn't this in the news? I mean, he's been missing for 2000 years and he's letting people hold onto his physical arm! WOW, I can't wait to see it in the news!!!

July 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  12. M.L.

I think it was Mark Twain who said that religious faith is believing something you know ain't true.

July 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
  13. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bob brays:
    --–
    Bullsh!t. You are free to say "Merry Christmas" all you want.

Booby blathers: They are not afraid to get up and insult us but we cannot do the same. Start to take a active role otherwise Christians will not be able to voice the truth we are the persecuted ones not the gays.

_________

Nonsense. They can insult if they choose. No one is required, however, to sit back and take it.

Boob the stupid: What happens to free speech and us being able to speak our mind without ridicule.
    -----

You have a right to speak your mind (if you have one, which is doubtful). And others have just as much right to ridicule and scorn you.

------
    Boob spews: Atheists are throwing in with gays not that they care about the gays but at least like the gays if they can get their own ways all the better
    -----

How would you know that all atheists feel the same way about gay marriage, Boob? How do you know who "cares about the gays"? What would be "their own way"?

July 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  14. MORE Fun with Bible Quotes

"He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed"

"Ye shall keep the sabbath ... every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death."

"He that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him."

"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

"For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death."

"Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart"

"God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned."

July 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  15. Bob

Chick-fil-A spokesman dies amid furor over same-S e marriage Do you see what they are doing that a man that wants to run a business the way he wants has a terror gay organization trying to limit his free speech as well as the city of Chicago wanting to limit him on business permits and saying he cant get a license to run his business and falsely stop a business from going forward. Merry Christmas has been taken away how much more is everyone going to let these losers limit the majority and those who know the truth. Its not only about gays but about socialism about the very same people we see here wanting to change the very fabric of society and not giving a dam about anyone else. wake up start voicing your opinion. They are not afraid to get up and insult us but we cannot do the same. Start to take a active role otherwise Christians will not be able to voice the truth we are the persecuted ones not the gays. The president of Chick only said he was against gay marriage nothing else and this is what happens. What happens to free speech and us being able to speak our mind without ridicule. If intimidation wont work as in San Fransisco and with Chick then we will lie then subvert the Bible if that doesn't work we will do what ever is necessary to achieve our goals. Start by going to this business and supporting all those that are against this use the tactics they use. We see a attacks here and there is no logic no caring no truth.
    repost from Solomon

July 30, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

More manure from the usual source.

July 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • sam stone

Bob: Yeah, everyone should share your bigotry, right?

July 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • nomomopres

Bob...do you speak English cause I couldn't understand a thing you were going on about in your post. It was like a load of bunk that seemed kinda angry...maybe living in that trailer court is getting to you?

July 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  16. M.L.

I'm with Furby above. I've never been a fan of Billy Graham particularly but this just doesn't sound like him. He has typically chosen to remsin silent on controversial social issues and when he has publicly voiced an opinion they've typically been surprisingly liberal for an evangelical, much to the consternation of many a fundie. It does however sound a LOT like something his vile son Franklin would say. This, coupled with the fact that by all accounts the 93 year old Alzheimer's suffering Billy Graham can barely talk or walk, it's fairly obvious this is Franklin putting words in incapacitated daddy's mouth. That Franklin really is a loathesome SOB,

July 30, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Keith

Well said you got it dead right, I have no time for the father but the son is without doubt a vile excuse for a human being,

July 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  17. Myk

Mr. Graham has the right to say whatever he wants, the same with Mr. Cathy. But I ask all of media covering Mr. Graham, please ask him why he did not march with Dr. Martin Luther King? Where was he during those days? He wasn't saying a damn thing back then on how bad racial violence was and how ridiculous racism was, so why the heck are you opening your mouth now? The the moral high ground for him does not exist.

July 30, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • M.L.

I'm no Graham fan but you're dead wrong about Graham on civil rights. He was actually a very vocal supporter of civil rights in general and Martin Luther King Jr. in particular. See the following link, complete with a photo of Graham with MLK:

You seem to have simply assumed he must've been an MIA during the civil rights era because he's a white, southern, Bible thumper. Seems you have your own prejudices to deal with...

July 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  18. T-Max73

Demonizing and condemning people for being themselves is analogous to (and just as indefensible as) racial bigotry and hatred. We now know (if we know anything) that people don't "choose" to become gay, anymore than they choose to become Hispanic, black, or asian. If Graham were to defend a business who condemned blacks marrying whites there would be outrage. But there was no more a decision to become black than to be born gay. When I was born it was normal and accepted for there to be "whites only" and "colored" divisions in society-from restaraunts to drinking fountains to buses. We laugh and scorn these moronic decisions now, but at the time they seemed "right" and "correct" to us. The day is coming when we will have the same perspective on this issue. My advise is to get on the bus of tolerance and acceptance now, lest you look like a bigoted idiot in 20 years.

July 30, 2012 at 11:21 am |
  19. Furby

The man is 91. It's unlikely he's issuing position papers and statements on anything. More likely these things come from his Fundie son.

July 30, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • Keith

91 0r 41 he has always been whacked out, he has never spoken one word that made any sense in his entire career and if you are looking for the devil incarnate then look no further than his revolting son.
      What a disgusting and repulsive family.

July 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  20. Name*Lynesh

Jeremiah 9
    23 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
    24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

July 30, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Fun with Bible Quotes

Oooh, can I play, too?

Exodus 12:29 "At midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle."

Deuteronomy 13:6-10 "If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die."

Yay! We get to kill non believers!

July 30, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Keith

More claptrap, please note the phrase "loving kindness", where was the "loving kindness" in the Colorado massacre? where is the "loving kindness" in the cancer ward of a childrens hospital. Where is the "loving kindness" to the families of sick children who are suffering untold agonies as they watch their children die. If the sky fairy and his whacko son want to see what "loving kindness" REALLY MEANS then they should watch the loving families of these desperately ill children.
      All the sky fairy and its son do is mouth empty meaningless words, why don't they DO SOMETHING.
      I should not get so worked up about this but the cold hearted stupidity and callousness of people like Lynesh make me sick, the real answer is that the sky fairy and its son do not of course EXIST.

July 30, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Name*Lynesh

Keith....
      I actually did lose a child to cancer . After two years on that children's oncology floor . God sustained me, comforted me, and encouragede, he is real. And because of His provision ny the death of His son, Jesus, I will see my child again . I presently am battling more issues and again are leaning on the arm of a merciful God.

July 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm |